Chavez: Anyone but McCain

posted at 8:09 am on March 26, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Hugo Chavez has made sure Americans understand his preferences for the upcoming presidential election. He says he could work with the US — but only if we do not elect John McCain as President:

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, a socialist and fierce U.S. critic, warned on Tuesday that relations with Washington could worsen if Republican candidate John McCain wins this year’s presidential election.

Chavez said he hopes the United States and Venezuela can work better together when his ideological foe, U.S. President George W. Bush, leaves the White House next year, but he said McCain seemed “warlike.”

“Sometimes one says, ‘worse than Bush is impossible,’ but we don’t know,” Chavez told foreign correspondents. “McCain also seems to be a man of war.”

Thank goodness Chavez shared his thoughts with us on McCain. At least now we know how Sean Penn will vote in November.  That open question had bothered me of late.

Normally, I’m not one to use endorsements or anti-endorsements from lunatics or the brain-dead as an argument for policies or candidates.  I don’t care which candidate Osama bin Laden or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad might like better; Americans can make their own decisions based on our own goals and needs.  However, given Chavez’ unique personality (disorders) and anti-American rants, the prospect of seeing him fume all over again is pretty compelling.

Comments

That will bring out the voters…not what the Dems want to hear (but what they want).

right2bright on March 26, 2008 at 8:14 AM

I thought Chavez didn’t like meddling in the internal affairs of countries; didn’t realize it only applied to his.

So this is a reason to vote for McCain.

“Barack Obama, endorsed by Hugo Chavez.”

rbj on March 26, 2008 at 8:18 AM

Well thank you Hugo. That’ll help. BTW I have some drywall work for you, you have my cell#. How’s next week look?

LtE126 on March 26, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Anybody? Does that include me? Of course, since I’d open up ANWR and the coasts to drilling, he might regret that.

Oh, and I am a personification of mercurial.

steveegg on March 26, 2008 at 8:20 AM

His personality, or lack thereof, fits in nicely with Obama’s “God Dam America” campaign.

leanright on March 26, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Chavez, Putin, Osama, make a list, they all want us to elect someone like Obama for President. Thats why we need to elect McCain. Or at least one good reason.

2theright on March 26, 2008 at 8:25 AM

Warned the States,LMAO!

How about Hugo explain that bright
red shirt,isn’t it the colour of
the Devil!

canopfor on March 26, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Socialism! You don’t have to be mad to follow it – but it sure helps!

OldEnglish on March 26, 2008 at 8:27 AM

I hope Chavez will continue to smell sulfur for a looong time…

JetBoy on March 26, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Once again, a brutal thug dictator sides with Democrats.. The love affair continues…

Keemo on March 26, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Democrats support of terrorists and visa versa.
Another slow dance for our enjoyment.

Mike Mose on March 26, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Yeah, there’s not a dimes worth of difference between McCain and the Obama-nation or Ms. Inevitable, according to some “conservatives”.

Looks like Hugo can see the difference. And if little Lenin here can see the difference, so should “conservatives”.

NoDonkey on March 26, 2008 at 8:34 AM

NoDonkey on March 26, 2008 at 8:34 AM

Damn right…

Keemo on March 26, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Go figure… I’ve been looking for reasons to get up that first Tuesday in November, drag myself to the voting booth and actually pull the lever (yes, it’s a button) for McCain. This might just do it. If Chavez can’t work with the man, that’s the kind of man I want working for us.

njrob on March 26, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Sounds like another endorsement to me. As much as I dislike McCain, it’s good to see that I hate his enemies more.

Judge a man by his enemies.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 26, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Oh, damn!

And I was so hoping to mail him a GOP sticker.

Oh, well.

madmonkphotog on March 26, 2008 at 8:46 AM

I am slowly coming around, not to liking the two faced lying a$$ McMonkey, but maybe to vote for him. Maybe. “Enemy of my enemy” and all that.

leanright on March 26, 2008 at 8:48 AM

I can’t believe Chavez expressed his preference in the upcoming US election! Of course, it is perfectly OK for the US to express our view of Venezuela’s government by backing coup attempts against it and donating money to the opposition. But that is our right alone, because we have the most weapons!
I wonder what people on this thread would say if Chavez donated tens of millions of dollars to the Democrats, and backed a coup attempt against the Bush administration. I have a feeling that it would somehow be different in that case.

dave742 on March 26, 2008 at 8:56 AM

Doesn’t Chavez realize that only Israel can demand the “fealty” of US candidates? Doesn’t he know that Israel is the US puppetmaster, and not the US?

dave742 on March 26, 2008 at 8:58 AM

dave742 on March 26, 2008 at 8:56 AM

No, it wouldn’t! He’d still be a stinking socialist!

OldEnglish on March 26, 2008 at 9:01 AM

That’s rich. Chavez called McCain “warlike”?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

budorob on March 26, 2008 at 9:13 AM

I’m still waiting for the day when one of the drive bys ask obama, shrillary, or any other prominent dimocrat if OBL, Chavez, Zawahiri, etc., would be welcome in the dimocrat party, since they all share the exact same feelings.

Headline should be “Socialist thug Chavez endorses whichever democrat becomes the nominee”

rightside on March 26, 2008 at 9:19 AM

I hope Chavez will continue to smell sulfur for a looong time…

JetBoy on March 26, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Did Hugo eat eggs again?

p40tiger on March 26, 2008 at 9:23 AM

So Chavez is telling me I can kick him in the jimmy by voting for a certain someone? Good to know.

Geronimo on March 26, 2008 at 9:23 AM

This is kinda like what I do when I get mail from the NEA and the CTA telling me who to vote for: I pretty much do the opposite.

Thanks, Hugo!

Bob's Kid on March 26, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Socialist idiot. Chavez needs to go back to the pig farm in which he came from.

jencab on March 26, 2008 at 9:25 AM

And the hits just keep on coming for Maverick. First, the NY Times rallies conservatives by attacking him. Now, the most vile “leader” in our hemisphere attacks him as well. Very cool. Come on now Hugo baby… say it loud and proud… O-Ba-Ma… O-Ba-Ma. (What, you’re telling me that “Reverend” Wrights America-bashing sermons aren’t of the caliber of Chavez’s?)

Sugar Land on March 26, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Is dave742 satire?

funky chicken on March 26, 2008 at 9:41 AM

“I wonder what people on this thread would say if Chavez donated tens of millions of dollars to the Democrats”

Maybe if he stopped funneling all that money to the FARC and instead sent it to the DNC, he’d have a better chance of accomplishing his goals, true.

“and backed a coup attempt against the Bush administration.”

By send money to the Democrats? They can’t even manage their own party primary. I wouldn’t have confidence in the Democrats being able to trick kindergarteners out of their easter candy, much less pull off a coup.

NoDonkey on March 26, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Wow. How does Rove do it?!

Akzed on March 26, 2008 at 9:46 AM

NoDonkey:
They were separate statements. I don’t think Democrats could pull off a coup either. Coups are usually committed by groups that have an opposing ideology, and the Democrats are indistiguishable from the Republicans. I think they are fine with the present power sharing arrangement.

Do you oppose or support the US backing coup attempts against Venezuela? Do you oppose or support Chavez verbally expressing his views on who should be the US president? If your answers are “support” for the first and “oppose” for the second, how do you explain the hypocritical views?

dave742 on March 26, 2008 at 9:55 AM

“The more things change, the more they stay the same.”

The Party of Big Mouths & Small Ideas is always supported by Tin-Pot Dictators.

franksalterego on March 26, 2008 at 9:56 AM

its only natural that the commie would support the like-mided American Communist Party Democrats.

Seriously, if I was McCain that would be my only ad:
“Do you want the candidate that this man [[insert videos of Chavez and his nonsense]] supports or the one he doesn’t like?”

Hello, Mr. President McCain.

dave742 on March 26, 2008 at 8:56 AM

He can express his opinion all he wants. I’m not sure who is disagreeing with his right to do that. Most of us are just pleased that the lunatic is siding with the opposition.

MannyT-vA on March 26, 2008 at 10:00 AM

If I remember 2004 correctly, Osama endorsed Kerry 4 days before the election.

Chavez is spouting more like a British Labour MP than an Islamic fanatic.

percysunshine on March 26, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Chavez’s IQ is lower than worm spit.

leanright on March 26, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Chavez is scared to death of McCain but he would eat those other to jokers alive.

rplat on March 26, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Chavez is spouting more like a British Labour MP than an Islamic fanatic.

percysunshine on March 26, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Chavez’s IQ is lower than worm spit.

leanright on March 26, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Same statement.

OldEnglish on March 26, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Chavez is a used car salesman with a bad hair cut. Keep that in mind when infering what he believes and what he will do.

percysunshine on March 26, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Same statement.

OldEnglish on March 26, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Not quite, British Labour MP speaks stupid gullibility.
Chavez speaks to the stupid and gullible.

leanright on March 26, 2008 at 10:26 AM

MannyT-vA:

I guess it’s just me, then. I think foreign leaders and the foreign press have no business making comments on who should be the president of the US. Actually, it’s not just me. On that point I agree with Dick Cheney, who was upset when Kerry claimed the support of foreign leaders and said, “American voters are the ones charged with determining the outcome of this election – not unnamed foreign leaders.” I guess it’s me and Cheny against you on this one.
My point above was that although I do not agree with Chavez making his comment, I also do not agree with the US supporting coup attempts against him and donating money to the opposition.

dave742 on March 26, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Same statement.

OldEnglish on March 26, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Not quite, British Labour MP speaks stupid gullibility.
Chavez speaks to the stupid and gullible.

leanright on March 26, 2008 at 10:26 AM

I defer, sir :)

OldEnglish on March 26, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Got to go to work, everyone have a good day.

leanright on March 26, 2008 at 10:47 AM

MannyT-vA:

Charles Krauthammer agrees with me as well, and said this:

“when yet another insufferable penseur — first Chirac, then de Villepin, now the editor of Le Monde — starts lecturing Americans on how they ought to conduct themselves in the world, the rules of decorum are suspended.”

So you’re saying that the people on this thread think Chavez has the “right” to give his opinion on who should be US president? People on this thread disagree with Cheney and Krauthammer? What kind of conservatives are you people?

dave742 on March 26, 2008 at 11:01 AM

MannyT-vA:
Ed Morrissey also disagrees with you:

“We have a long tradition of demanding outside governments stay out of our elections”

dave742 on March 26, 2008 at 11:12 AM

If MaCshamesty McCain can keep geting endorsements like Chavez, I’ll hold my nose and vote for him.

opusrex on March 26, 2008 at 11:58 AM

To me that is a ringing endorsement for McCain.

Barak Obama has all the dictator/Islamofascist/Communist/America hating “rage against my trust fund” tranzi idjit endorsements. They all are getting wood at the mere thought of having an Islamofascist loving, AmeriKKK hatiing Communist iin the White House.

Nahanni on March 26, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Pearls of wisdom from a noted statesman. I wish someone would give Hugo some more coco leaves to chew.

TooTall on March 26, 2008 at 1:24 PM

dave742 on March 26, 2008 at 11:01 AM

You are totally twisting what MannyT said. And now you are using Cheney & Krauthammer (the “Israeli puppets” I believe you were referring to in your second post) to justify your false argument?

Cheesestick on March 26, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Did Hugo eat eggs again?

p40tiger on March 26, 2008 at 9:23 AM

I didn’t cater his meal :-)

steveegg on March 26, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Cheesestick:

You are totally twisting what MannyT said.

How? I quoted exactly what he said to me. Which is:

When I read this, I see it as saying that Chavez has a “right” to “express his opinion all he wants,” the opinion in question being who he thinks the US president should be. Cheney, Krauthammer, and Morrissey have said that foreign leaders should stay out of our elections. I agree with them, and not with MannyT. Please tell me how I misinterpreted what MannyT said.

The way I read the rest of the posts on this thread, I see nothing but support for the idea of a foreign leader expressing his opinion on a US election. Most seem very happy about it. Of course, I realize that all opinions, morals, values, and beliefs of those on the right are situational, and not based on principal. It is OK for Chavez interfere in a US election by saying something negative about McCain, because you feel that will help him. If you don’t like the implications of a different situation where a foreign leader interferes in a US election, you will then oppose it, like Cheney or Krauthammer. Cheney will oppose foreign “influence” on a US election, but then support a coup attempt on a foreign leader. The hypocrisy of the right knows no bounds.
It is impossible for someone on the right to construct a worldview based on general moral principals, and then to judge all nations and people with the same yardstick. Instead, your worldview is based on the idea that everything the US does is right, and everything that anyone else does that gets in the way, even if morally justified, is wrong. I do not understand how someone can live a life this way.

dave742 on March 26, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Some wacko leader expressing his opinion on who he would rather have as president is not interfering in a countries elections. Foreign Influence is China sneaking all sorts of “campaign contributions” to the Clinton campaign. And if we ever have a dictator running this country, I will gladly accept other countries help in overthrowing him/her in our coup. Your basing the worldview on the “influence” yardstick, not the oppressor yardstick.

Corsair on March 26, 2008 at 3:41 PM

“Barack Obama, endorsed by Hugo Chavez.”

rbj on March 26, 2008 at 8:18 AM

More like Barack Hussein Obama: Endorsed by Hugo Chavez, Louis Farrakhan, The Black Panthers, Nation of Islam,Osama Bin Laden, the Mahdi Army, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad,Elijah Mohammed’s son Jabir Mohammed, Imam Jeremiah Wright, Muammar Qaddafi, Raila Odinga, Adam Gadahn, Ayman Zawahiri, Michelle Obama etc. etc. etc.

With friends like these you can’t lose!

The only question is..which one will he pick as his VP nominee?

My money is on Louis Farrakhan.

SaintOlaf on March 26, 2008 at 3:43 PM

What was it that the King of Spain said to him?…

Shutup!

Domino on March 26, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Cheesestick:

You are totally twisting what MannyT said.

How? I quoted exactly what he said to me. Which is:

dave742 on March 26, 2008 at 2:36 PM

While it may be annoying, Chavez endorsing a candidate isn’t exactly “interfering” in our election. He has the “right” to say whatever he wants as long as no one is going to go there & tape his mouth shut. Do you want Bush to go tape his mouth shut? No? Then you agree with MannyT that he can express his opinion all you want.

The hypocrisy of the right knows no bounds.

I do not understand how someone can live a life this way.

Probably because we are “Israeli puppets”?

Cheesestick on March 26, 2008 at 5:19 PM

That goes with out saying, Marxist have to stick together.

TheSitRep on March 26, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Yeah, let’s let him decide for who we should vote.

Johan Klaus on March 26, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Cheesestick on March 26, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Did you really mean that, or was it just a Freudian slip?

Johan Klaus on March 26, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Cheesestick on March 26, 2008 at 1:58 PM

As opposed to Muslem or communist Puppets?

Johan Klaus on March 26, 2008 at 6:36 PM

dave742 on March 26, 2008 at 8:56 AM

Sounds to me like someone has a man-crush for Sean Penn and Heir Chavez!

Liberty or Death on March 26, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Liberty or Death on March 26, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Let me guess; he is probably a liberal university student or a faculty member.

Johan Klaus on March 26, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Liberty or Death on March 26, 2008 at 6:39 PM

By the way; great name.

Johan Klaus on March 26, 2008 at 7:02 PM

The United States of America gives university students and faculty great opportunities, yet many of them have got the most sympathy for communism

Johan Klaus on March 26, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Let me guess; he is probably a liberal university student or a faculty member.

Johan Klaus on March 26, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Heh, with my experiences dealing with universities he’s probably what I’d call a “lifer.” A lifer is someone that goes to a university, gets a degree, then gets a job at the university, and never leaves because they can’t make it outside of the liberal bastions of university life.

In other words university lifers can’t deal with the reality of the real world so they become institutionalized into the liberal university utopia where everything is rose colored except for the “green meanies” (all those outside the university) that have any opinions or thoughts that differ or interfere with their liberal utopia!

Liberty or Death on March 26, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Liberty or Death on March 26, 2008 at 6:39 PM

By the way; great name.

Johan Klaus on March 26, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Thanks John *siff-sniff* you’re the first HA blogger to say so..*sniff-sniff*

Liberty or Death on March 26, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Cheesestick

I think it is, and Cheney, Krauthammer, and Morrissey agree with me, because that is the thing they were talking about as well. So we disagree with you. Fine.

Libertyordeath:

he’s probably what I’d call a “lifer.”

I am a pharmaceutical research chemist and have been out of school for 25 years.

any opinions or thoughts that differ or interfere with their liberal utopia!

Ironic that you say this to me. I read books and papers written by conservatives all the time, probably more than you do. I also consistently read and post on conservative blogs, exposing myself to other views. I never read leftist blogs. So tell me, how often do you read books and papers written by those on the left? Who here is projecting?

dave742 on March 27, 2008 at 9:33 AM