Walking back the Tuzla sniper-fire run

posted at 5:20 pm on March 24, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Caught by two videos of her visit to Tuzla, Bosnia in March 1996, Hillary Clinton’s campaign has the unenviable task of acknowledging that Hillary lied about the danger she faced in flying into one of the most secure facilities in the Balkans. The walk-back of the Tuzla Dash began today, with Howard Wolfson trying to point out the danger in other portions of her trip:

The Clinton campaign says Senator Hillary Clinton may have “misspoke” recently when she said she had to evade sniper fire when she was visiting Bosnia in 1996 as first lady.

She has been using the episode as an example of her foreign policy bona fides.

“I certainly do remember that trip to Bosnia,” she said last week. “There was a saying around the White House that if a place was too small, too poor, or too dangerous, the president couldn’t go, so send the First Lady.

“I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base.”

But her account has been challenged, first by Sinbad, the comedian, who traveled with her, and then by news organizations, most notably the Washington Post, which awarded her four “Pinnochios” [sic] which it gives for major “whoppers.”

I don’t envy Wolfson his job at the moment. Not only did she “misspeak”, but she almost outright called Sinbad a liar when he corrected her. Hillary apparently figured she could bluff her way out of the lie she constructed in Tuzla, even though Sinbad was on the same plane and provided eyewitness testimony. That bluff got called by the Washington Post and by Newsbusters, when contemporaneous video showed Hillary strolling off the plane, with her 15-year-old daughter in tow, and no sense of anxiety on anyone’s face.

Still, Wolfson gave it his best shot, claiming that she only exaggerated the danger a little. He produced some startling eyewitness testimony on Hillary’s behalf …. well, OK, it was Hillary’s own memoirs. Wolfson read aloud from Living History to argue that Hillary really did find herself in danger on the Tuzla landing strip, even if the First Lady still got a truncated greeting ceremony that she emphatically denied receiving just days ago.

Take another look at this video. Does anyone seem worried about sniper fire or any other attacks here?

No one is moving quickly. The media follows dutifully behind, and her bodyguards look smilingly down on the little girl reading the poem to Hillary.

Now, if she really felt like she was in danger, why would she leave her daughter out in the open on the tarmac, let alone that little girl? That’s the question Wolfson can’t answer, and why he’s probably buying Rolaids by the case this week.

Comments

and the MSM can’t find the story with both their hands. Big suprise!

Cinematicfilm on March 24, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Someone needs to take the Tuzla video and dubb in some gun fire sounds and flahes on the ground where bullets are hitting.

JoeRed on March 24, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Maybe she was remembering the times when Bill was firing his DNA all over the Whitehouse. The years all ran together, it’s easy to conflate a few events.

Hillary has to hold on to what little “experience” she has in foreign policy to make herself seem more experienced. I guess, she’s trying to argue that Laura Bush is just as capable as her of being president. Is that really the best argument anyone wants to put forward?

lorien1973 on March 24, 2008 at 5:25 PM

I wonder if that memory is “seared” into her mind.

kcluva on March 24, 2008 at 5:27 PM

“misspoke?” More like flat out made it all up.

ThePrez on March 24, 2008 at 5:29 PM

It would be interesting to have someone ask Chelsea what her memories of the incident are. I’m curious if the condition is hereditary or environmentally caused.

exhelodrvr on March 24, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Maybe Hillary was trying to show all of us what a linguist she is; I bet “sniper fire” is Bosnian for “little girl with flowers.”

Lockstein13 on March 24, 2008 at 5:33 PM

I have no problem with her story, but then, I have a “willing suspension of disbelief”.

TritonTR on March 24, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Wow! Hillary’s running around, dodging sniper fire, in war like conditions just so she can bring the message of peace and save the world. What a hero!

Maybe she should just forget about all this whole presidential run nonsense and become a full time superhero.

SaintOlaf on March 24, 2008 at 5:35 PM

It depends what the meaning of fire is…she meant the fire in her belly.

Entelechy on March 24, 2008 at 5:39 PM

I love this video ace found

William Amos on March 24, 2008 at 5:42 PM

I wonder how big a campaign contribution the little girl had to make before Hillary would stop and listen to her poem.

She’s following the pattern of most compulsive liars- adding way too much detail in an attempt to sell the lie. She could’ve just said that she led a diplomatic trip in a dangerous place in a contentious period- but that wasn’t sexy enough apparently.

At least she doesn’t have to dodge sniper fire at the gas station like Obama.

Hollowpoint on March 24, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Hm, how many lies does that make for her, now?

CP on March 24, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Either she “misspoke” or she was reaching for that 8-year-old to use her as a human shield. If I were her, I think I’d stick with “misspoke.”

Blacklake on March 24, 2008 at 5:45 PM

“Snipers? No no no — diapers! We were under diaper fire. Soft fluffy adorable — but still stinky stinky poopy — Serbian diapers. The humanity.” /HRC

Cuffy Meigs on March 24, 2008 at 5:50 PM

TritonTR on March 24, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Well said.

You know some people in the Clinton campaign have to be asking themselves “why did I hitch my wagon to this old nag?”

Hog Wild on March 24, 2008 at 5:50 PM

if a place was too small, too poor, or too dangerous, the president couldn’t go, so send the First Lady fifteen year-old daughter.

Fixed it for The Hildebeest.

MrScribbler on March 24, 2008 at 5:56 PM

I have word from my Bosnian sources that there was a sniper present at the landing, but he was only armed with this.

Nethicus on March 24, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Well, I was there and there WERE snipers. Yeah…snipers. That’s right.

And ninjas!

Hun…

thou…

…MILLIONS of ninjas. With atomic bombs. Yeah, that’s the ticket. And if you don’t believe me, just ask my wife, Morgan Fairchild. Who I’ve seen naked.

jl on March 24, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Hillary Clinton and Barry “Barrack” Obama, two weasels representing the Democrat Party, which represents racism, bigotry, arrogance, hatred, deception, Marxism, and appeasement of evil men.

William2006 on March 24, 2008 at 6:12 PM

If it really was as dangerous as HRC says, then I have to question her judgment in bringing her only child to such a place.

rbj on March 24, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Between her lies and Obama’s abundant prevarications, I’m wondering if we’re electing the leader of the free world, or finding nominees for the Nobel Prize in fiction.

Buy Danish on March 24, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Does anyone believe that the Secret Service would have allowed a First Lady of the United States to be required to run from an airplane under sniper fire??? How on earth could anyone have believed this in the first place. This just shows how incompetent the major media is, the whole idea was laughable. And in the event of a real war somewhere and a first lady was truly required to do this it would have been on the front page of every newspaper in the country

georgealbert on March 24, 2008 at 6:39 PM

‘misspoke’ means that she got caught in a lie. Old joke: How do you know when Hillary is lying? When she opens her mouth.

docdave on March 24, 2008 at 6:39 PM

JoeRed on March 24, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Oh, yes.

mikeyboss on March 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Why, in this age of information where sites like YouTube can refute any public false statement, the “Smartest Woman in the World” would even try to rewrite history? Arrogance, ignorance or incompetance; either way, she’s not Presidential material.

mogilla on March 24, 2008 at 7:28 PM

“It all depends on what your definition of “misspoke” is”.

Del Dolemonte on March 24, 2008 at 8:03 PM

She may have confabed this all in her mind and really believes it. Nice to have a potential president who can’t distinguish reality from imagination. When she loses the election, she’ll show up at the White House anyway and wonder why they won’t let her in.

NNtrancer on March 24, 2008 at 8:07 PM

William2006 on March 24, 2008 at 6:12 PM

And if Osamabama wins the nom, does that mean he’s the de facto leader of the Domcratic Party?

davidk on March 24, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Hm, how many lies does that make for her, now?

CP on March 24, 2008 at 5:43 PM

How many stars are there in the sky?

Mallard T. Drake on March 24, 2008 at 8:28 PM

She’s not kissing the little girl, she’s sucking out her soul.

exhelodrvr on March 24, 2008 at 9:04 PM

You don’t have to worry about Obama exaggerating these stories…he doesn’t care about the troops or visiting them.

right2bright on March 24, 2008 at 9:15 PM

CBS outed the harridan on this too. Helmet and flak jacket night at harridan campaign HQ. Watch those flying lamps and ashtrays boys and girls!

dogsoldier on March 24, 2008 at 10:00 PM

lorien1973 on March 24, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Actually, I’d much rather see Laura Bush as President than Missus Slick. No pretension there.

PS If we’d had a second daughter, we’d have named her Lorien–after Tolkien’s forest of Lothlorien.

MrLynn on March 25, 2008 at 12:04 AM

Come on.

Can’t you tell she was ducking behind the child to escape the sniper fire?

Dannic on March 25, 2008 at 2:21 AM

That’s one of the most harrowing pieces of video I think I’ve ever seen. I can’t imagine the terror that is so obvious on all their faces. I’m not sure I could hold my bladder with all those bullets whizzing over my head like that. Whew! What a tough lady!

tbradshaw on March 25, 2008 at 9:18 AM