Video: The DNC’s dumb yet effective anti-McCain Iraq animation

posted at 7:39 pm on March 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

How confident are Dean-o and company that Obama’s going to be the nominee? Confident enough to launch an attack on Maverick for trying to have it both ways on Iraq, notwithstanding the fact that Her Majesty is the most notoriously egregious hypocrite in the Senate on that point. Note the almost uniformly old dates and suspicious truncation of the soundbites; if this is supposed to prove that John “I’d rather lose an election than a war” McCain is some sort of opportunist whose views have evolved with public discontent then it fails miserably, but for the majority of voters who only take a passing interest in matters like this it’s probably an eye-opener. The RNC response fact sheet is impressively long, detailed, and borderline unreadable, which the Dems doubtless are counting on to make nonsense like this stick. It’s the flipside of Obama’s racial meltdown, if you subtract the Messiah’s dishonesty: A 40-minute speech is fine, but compared to a 10-second soundbite of a guy getting his rocks off over Osama’s chickens coming home to roost? No contest.

If you guys want to demonstrate that McCain’s a phony and peel away a few votes from the base, why not an ad on this? It’ll be received warmly in most of the right-wing blogosphere, I assure you. Click the image to watch.

mccain-dnc2.jpg

Update: From the comments, an oldie but goodie. It’s soundbite jamboree!

Comments

yawn… GD America… GD America… Game, set match.

TheBigOldDog on March 24, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Interesting ad. But I think I found a better one:

SoulGlo on March 24, 2008 at 7:46 PM

An unaccomplished, Unpatriotic nobody that has never sacraficed for his country and threw his own grandmother under a bus to protect the most extreme example of a radical racist I have ever seen in modern times vs a Man that has dedicated his entire life to serving his country and is the very definition of personal sacrafice.

Nobama has Nochance.

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 24, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Could those soundbytes be taken even more out of context? I smell desperation afoot…

Although I hate to say it, I did get a chuckle out of Dubya poppin’ up in the middle with the “thumbs up”…

JetBoy on March 24, 2008 at 7:47 PM

And how many more can they come up with….let’s see, about a thousand more. We saw plenty in the primary with the lies he told about MItt.

flytier on March 24, 2008 at 7:48 PM

How DARE the NYT bring up an old issue, concerning which McCain assures, “everybody already knows, everybody already knows, everybody already knows.”

Weight of Glory on March 24, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Lame, using quotes 6 years apart, using quotes about one specific subject…never mind, the weak Dems. will love this, you could say anything and hardcore Dems will love it…but the fence sitters, they hate this stuff. Ring this up like this:
Hardcore Dems…a winner for the Dems (no loss to McCain)
Fence Sitters…clearly a winner for McCain (huge loss to Dems)
Thank you Democratic Party…you are making this too easy.

right2bright on March 24, 2008 at 7:49 PM

fourstringfuror on March 24, 2008 at 7:50 PM

the primary with the lies he told about MItt.

flytier on March 24, 2008 at 7:48 PM

And the sad part, is that he didn’t have to tell any lies about Mitt, Mitt was a loser from the beginning. How many millions did he spend to become a loser?

right2bright on March 24, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Well, it’s not too late for McCain to tap Lurch as his running mate, is it?

Kini on March 24, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Just proves their anti-Canadian agenda… flappy heads…

rw on March 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM

I don’t want conservatives to know
I don’t want my heart to show

Two faces have I
I pretend that I’m conservative
But I’m Mr. Blue
I pretend that I’m sorry
Since I said #uck you

Two faces have I
One is real and one is a lie
Two faces have I
One is real and one is a lie

Will I ever laugh at all of you again
When you vote for me with a high
Will I ever walk with a smile on my face
Knowing I live a lie

- Johny Christie McCain

MB4 on March 24, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Nobama has Nochance.

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 24, 2008 at 7:47 PM

The Audacity of Nope?

CyberCipher on March 24, 2008 at 8:13 PM

New depths of lameness. Who does this excite? Best I can tell, only the most ignorant and rabid Bush/GOP haters. Guess what, they don’t need convincing. Anyone else finds this compelling… or even mildly amusing? Anyone? Bueller?

Sugar Land on March 24, 2008 at 8:15 PM

So Dems were in favour of getting rid of Saddam Hussein and stopping him from acquiring nuclear weapons, and voted for it. All done done and dusted five years ago. They didn’t vote for staying in Iraq for 100 years and they’re not hypocrites to oppose it.

aengus on March 24, 2008 at 8:18 PM

The Audacity of Nope

nice one!

JetBoy on March 24, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Just laughing at the tepid ineffectuality of it.

The Audacity of Hype.

profitsbeard on March 24, 2008 at 8:30 PM

No BO ’08

mred on March 24, 2008 at 8:35 PM

fourstringfuror on March 24, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Word.

Sekhmet on March 24, 2008 at 8:40 PM

why not an ad on this?

Would these alleged disloyalties to party, if believed by the general population, make someone switch a vote from McCain to Obama? Doubtful. Would it make a loyal Republican refrain from voting McCain? Only if that Republican is dumb enough to take the DNC and the Times at their world. That’s why the DNC wouldn’t run such an ad. Heck, such an approach might anger enough Dems and indies that they’d vote for McCain.

they’re not hypocrites to oppose it.

They are hypocrites to act like this was all President Bush’s and Senator McCain’s idea. I don’t hear any of these Democrats saying, “I was wrong to support the war, and now we need to end it as harmlessly as possible.” Instead I hear, “I oppose the war, and now we need to end it as quickly as possible.” Even Obama; he opposed the war when it could do him no harm: As the state senator representing an ultra-liberal constituency. He made no brave decision. He made a speech in 2004 that catapulted him to national prominence, and has been sailing on that and his expedient opposition to the war ever since.

calbear on March 24, 2008 at 8:53 PM

“I wonder when they’ll wake up and realize that Bush isn’t running for a third term. – fourstringfuror on March 24, 2008 at 7:50 PM”

Because they have nothing else to run on except platitudes and promises of the Nanny State.

Get used to it people, “Senator McCain = Bush’s Third Term” is going to be incorporated into the American lexicon from now until November.

It will be in ad, after ad, it will start showing up in movies, TV shows, late night comedy spots, on college campuses, in class rooms by left wing professors, on “news” reports reported as “fact”, in editorial pages, on left wing blogs, in union halls, translated into Spanish, and made “real”.

Just as “real” as “Global Climate Change”.

Just watch, it will be overkill like we have never seen before.

……………… and Mr. McCain won’t fight back.

Seven Percent Solution on March 24, 2008 at 9:25 PM

So, okay, I’ll bite.

Just why is that “effective”?

I’m sure if you’re already onboard the Bash Bush Bus, it’ll give you a nice little glow, but change any minds?

I don’t think so.

Typhoon on March 24, 2008 at 9:31 PM

I would have used that ad against McCain myself, until he was the last republican standing. On the Rumsfeld quote, that was out and out wrong. When he first said he supported the Rumsfeld strategy, it was working. In the 2nd clip he said when he saw that it failed. Not a good point, but one democrats will love anyway.

Sue on March 24, 2008 at 9:35 PM

“Senator McCain = Bush’s Third Term”

Then he needs to turn that into a positive. The base he doesn’t have won’t be upset to hear it. The moderates know better. And the independents will have to be fought over between a moderate and left-wing baritone.

Sue on March 24, 2008 at 9:37 PM

The DNC can run all the retarded youtube ads it wants. The bottom line is that the American people trust a war hero dripping wet with foreign policy experience to a smooth talking small forward who repeats hope and change until one becomes delusional.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 24, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Have they no shame? Errrr…nevermind.

SouthernGent on March 24, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Okay, what happened to…

1) G*d Bless America?
2) Support Our Troops?
3) We love Jews so we’ll protect them against a thug financing terror against them?
4) Saddam’s WMD – like the, uh, cyclosarin the Poles found and the roadside bomb with the sarin? Saddam was not supposed to have these, and he did. I have a place at my alma mater, called McIntyre Hall, where if that went off there… 700 people would be breathing in that stuff the MSM lies wasn’t there.
5) Saddam’s missiles – like the, uh, Al-Samoud 2 missiles he wasn’t supposed to have?

I could go on and on in true Zell Miller style, so I would appreciate it very much if those Democrats over there would salute and do some – no, a lot of – push-ups on the White House lawn for dissing the Commander-in-Chief. Heaven Knows what they’d do if Rush Limbaugh or Hugh Hewitt or Michelle Malkin acted this way…

HotAirJosef on March 24, 2008 at 10:36 PM

I don’t think it’s dumb. McCain’s signature issue is war and the ad seems to suggest he has no clue. His criticism of Rumsfeld later is jumping on the bandwagon, not leading.

I’d say there was only one issue on which he clearly led, and that’s the surge. I didn’t like his misquoting of Romney during the debate in California but I could totally see why he’d go after Romney. everybody felt like they had to insert “timetable” somewhere, and he was the only one saying: hell, no. He certainly deserves credit for that.

I further think it’s just the beginning. We’re about to learn why it is extremely difficult for any Senator to win Presidential elections. Enormous amount of baggage. So far they haven’t even started talking about his voting record.

The strategy should be to go on the offensive and talk about Hillary’s record or Obama’s lack of qualifications.

freevillage on March 24, 2008 at 10:46 PM

I hope the DNC didn’t spend much on that, that was absolutely horrible and weak. McCain’s not even talking about the same thing in most of those. Losers.

Seixon on March 24, 2008 at 10:47 PM

freevillage on March 24, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Um, personally, I think there’s a pretty good chance a senator’s gonna make it this year.

Yeah, I know. I’m way out on a limb here.

Typhoon on March 24, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Yes, hence “extremely difficult”, not impossible. The guy who all but secured the Democratic nomnation did so specifically because he had no record to be analyzed.

freevillage on March 25, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Nobama has Nochance.

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 24, 2008 at 7:47 PM

That’s why he won’t be re-elected in 2012.

McCain will squeak by; and due to the power of incumbency, will probably be re-elected. He’ll eviscerate the American economy in the process, and still cave in to most of what the leftists in the country want in the name of comity and outreach.

Go-bama!

urbancenturion on March 25, 2008 at 1:08 AM

High-heeled boys…heh

sanclemman on March 25, 2008 at 1:17 AM

i.e. Democrats

When you’re an illiterate moron (i.e. a Democrat), everything is “unreadable”.

labrat on March 25, 2008 at 4:31 AM