Name That Party! Detroit mayor indicted for perjury

posted at 12:30 pm on March 24, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Lawhawk and I saw this at about the same time. In an Associated Press report on a perjury indictment for Kwame Kilpatrick, reporter Corey Williams leaves a little something out of the story. Guess which political party Kilpatrick represents?

Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, a one-time rising star and Detroit’s youngest elected leader, was charged Monday with perjury and other counts after sexually explicit text messages contradicted his sworn denials of an affair with a top aide.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy also charged the popular yet polarizing 37-year-old mayor with obstruction of justice and misconduct in office.

Perjury is a felony, punishable by up to 15 years in prison. But for Kilpatrick, a conviction also would mean his immediate expulsion from office. The Detroit City Charter calls for any elected official convicted of a felony while in office to be removed.

The Name That Shall Not Be Mentioned is, of course, Democrat. The AP studiously avoids mentioning party affiliation in the article at all. It runs 537 words as of noon ET, and not one of those words are “Democrat” or any other derivative.

Expect the Democrats to come out hard for Kilpatrick nonetheless. The perjury involves testimony at a trial last summer in which both denied having a sexual relationship, which two fired police officers claimed was at the heart of their termination. Later, text messages came to light which proved that both lied under oath, a material lie that went to the core of the lawsuit. It cost Detroit $8.4 million, which Kilpatrick approved in order to keep the messages — and his perjury — from becoming public.

Unlike with certain other cases of perjury, a conviction means the end of Kilpatrick’s administration. Under Detroit law, a felony conviction makes Kilpatrick ineligible for his office, which means he’s out. That’s the least of his worries, though, as he could face over 15 years in jail for the corruption that cost his city a fortune.

Expect the argument to be similar to that with Bill Clinton. Democrats will make it all about sex and not about perjury in an attempt to rescue Kilpatrick. Of course, if we rely on the AP, no one will know they’re Democrats at all.

Update (AP): Take a lesson, AP. This is how you do it.

Comments

Don’t worry. Once he’s convicted, they’ll make sure he’s with someone else in the picture so they can label him as (R)….

Master Shake on March 24, 2008 at 12:33 PM

To be fair, do you know any Republican named “Kwame”?

calbear on March 24, 2008 at 12:35 PM

The controversy surrounding the black politician once seen as a rising star in his party has deadlocked city government and could spill over to presidential politics and the issue of how the Democratic Party handles Michigan delegates

Once rising star? I thought indictments only made Democrats rise higher?

lorien1973 on March 24, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Who cares if we know a republican by that name

if this were a republican the headline wouldn’t even have his name. It’d just read “Republican busted!”

LOL!

One Angry Christian on March 24, 2008 at 12:38 PM

lorien1973 on March 24, 2008 at 12:36 PM

If he’s impeached and convicted, he can become a Congressman and committee chairman.

amerpundit on March 24, 2008 at 12:39 PM

(And yes, I know conviction could keep him from public office.)

amerpundit on March 24, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Once rising star? I thought indictments only made Democrats rise higher?

lorien1973 on March 24, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Yes. But you need to couple that with running at least one institution, the city of Detroit – for example, into the ground while at the same time blaming the opposition.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 24, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Heh. Just wait until the report on the investigation into the dead stripper comes out. I can’t remember where I read about that, but the story was that Kwame and some friends had some strippers entertaining them when the missus came home unexpectedly. The missus mayor got into a physical confrontation with one stripper who then showed up dead a few days later.

Gotta love that Detroit democrat party class being on display.

funky chicken on March 24, 2008 at 12:42 PM

To be fair, this is Detroit.

RobCon on March 24, 2008 at 12:44 PM

I live right down the street from Detroit, and the local media isn’t mentioning his affilation, either. Nor did they mention the party of the city councilmember that was indicted and imprisoned (http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/whitecollarcrime_blog/2005/11/corruption_char.html).

Virus-X on March 24, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Just wait, this will be a cultural thing and the country will be labeled racists for calling him out on it.

Fools, when will you learn, if you are Afro-American and a Democrat, you are owed, and so forth, the rules don’t apply to you.

/sarc off.

Seven Percent Solution on March 24, 2008 at 12:45 PM

But, but, it is only about sex. Ain’t that right B.J.?

Johan Klaus on March 24, 2008 at 12:45 PM

I question the timing. Typical white guys bought the charges, I’m sure.

lorien1973 on March 24, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Kwame Imgwanagetbooty Kilpatrick has been making a name for himself in Detroit politics, but we can’t repeat that name here or I would have my account terminated. Suffice it to say he has been pretty much thumbing his nose at the system, doing whatever he wants and daring anyone to do something about it. Now someone has taken him up on his offer. It will be interesting to see what he does here next.

pilamaye on March 24, 2008 at 12:47 PM

I can’t quite remember who might said this…….

“Detroit’s chickENS are coming HOME to ROOOOOSSST.”

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 24, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Damn you, White people America! Bringing down another black man!

SouthernGent on March 24, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Searched character for content. Nothing right now, but if something turns up, I’ll let you know.

mymanpotsandpans on March 24, 2008 at 12:51 PM

When asked for comment, Kwame had this to say.

Girl, I been shaking, sticking and moving tryna to get you and that booty
Tryna get to you and that booty
Tryna get to you and that booty
Girl, I been shaking and acting a donkey tryna to get you and that monkey
Tryna to get you and that monkey
Tryna to get you and that monkey

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 24, 2008 at 12:52 PM

To be fair, do you know any Republican named “Kwame”?

calbear on March 24, 2008 at 12:35 PM

So if someone’s named Afrikeisha Johnson we are to assume she’s a dem, and if someone is named Larry Craig we’re to assume he’s a repub.

Works for me, unless someone can think of any potential problems.

Akzed on March 24, 2008 at 12:55 PM

I remember him being “popular but polarizing” for only a few months. Nearly everyone, regardless of party, now realizes that he’s got to go. He is mostly “unpopular”, and only a few are defending his actions (just this morning on Detroit talk radio).

This tool has bucked the system, lived the high life, and basically dared everyone around him to do something about it. Now that they have, the “racism” charges are flying.

Bigurn on March 24, 2008 at 12:55 PM

It appears that many news organizations did not report the FULL AP release and modified it. Here is the same AP report on Fox News.

Former Chief of Staff Christine Beatty, 37, who also denied under oath that she and Kilpatrick had a romantic relationship in 2002 and 2003, was charged with perjury and obstruction of justice. Kilpatrick is a Democrat.

So the question is did Fox add this or did all the other news organizations delete that last line?

JeffinSac on March 24, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Kudos to the prosecution on this. From what I saw, she didn’t pull any punches in the presser. However, she’s gonna be fighting The Right Reverend Moss, the new Trinity UCC pastor on this, I’m sure. I can’t wait to watch him work the phrase “House n****r” into next week’s sermon.

a capella on March 24, 2008 at 12:59 PM

For those not familiar with Kwame, read up on the man. If you think this scandal is something, it’s nothing compared to some of the allegations against him.

The most serious of them being that he had Detroit police murder a stripper who attended a party he threw at the mayor’s mansion in 2002, and then used his power to sabotage the subsequent investigation into her death.

The guy’s a piece of trash. I have harsher words to describe him, but I’m not allowed to publish them here.

Vyce on March 24, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Well, I stopped keeping score a couple innings ago, but I think the Dems have had a two-out rally to retake the lead in the Political World Series of Immorality.

innominatus on March 24, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Stay classy Kwame.

TexasBella on March 24, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Old article written by a lefty, but a good one.

funky chicken on March 24, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Damn you, White people America! Bringing down another black man!

Leave the guy alone! Don’t you know that it’s bred into us and we need to understand things from his perspective! That’s what Obama told me! Oh I’m sorry, it only bred into some of us!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on March 24, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Perjury? Are you serious?? This is clearly a private matter.

$20 says William J. Bennett is on speed dial (not to say Bennett is returning the calls).

Forget about calling Sidney Blumenthal (though he’s soon going to have a lot of free time)…he may not be out yet and no way is he going to be driving for a while.

moxie_neanderthal on March 24, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Give it a couple of days (if that)…This won’t even be mentioned by the MSM. And Democrats have a strange definition of the word “perjury”…

JetBoy on March 24, 2008 at 1:12 PM

You know what’s really weird about that story? I don’t see any reference to the party that Kwame is affiliated with…

Jaibones on March 24, 2008 at 1:13 PM

I think the most outrageous part of this story is that he used the peoples’ money to try to bail himself out. He should be liable for the repayment of the settlement, in addition to the criminal charges. This sort of thing may be common in Detroit, but it isn’t acceptable anywhere.

Immolate on March 24, 2008 at 1:17 PM

They’ll try to make this all about sex again and claim Kwame was being prosecuted over cheating on his wife, never mention the perjury.

Bill Brasky on March 24, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Kwame has cost Detroit millions, which will make it harder to sweep this under the rug. In a city which is struggling to reverse its economic decline, as the major city in a state with a multiyear one-state recession, he will have limited support.

It also appears that prosecutors have taken their time building this case, as its been percolating slowly for months. If they did the thorough job they have had the time to do, the Mayor is going down hard.

cs89 on March 24, 2008 at 1:19 PM

As the Liberal Party Titanic heads for a
Denver,the Liberal Democratic band of fraud,
sex and corruption keeps on playing trying to
dodge scandal after scandel!

canopfor on March 24, 2008 at 1:20 PM

I question the timing. Typical white guys bought the charges, I’m sure.

lorien1973 on March 24, 2008 at 12:46 PM

No, Kym Worthy is black, it just took her a month to indict him and that was after the Detroit city council voted to demand that he resign! When that happens, you know things are bad. The old Boogian mansion (michiganians know what I’m talking about) will never be the same now. What would Coleman Young think, a mayor being indicted?

flytier on March 24, 2008 at 1:22 PM

They will lie about the perjury.

Wade on March 24, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Perjury is a felony, punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

And this guy is facing 12 felony counts. Either way, I’m assuming another Democrat in his admin. will be promoted to the mayor’s office, so Detroit will stay on it’s course.

JetBoy on March 24, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Virus-X on March 24, 2008 at 12:45 PM

I live nearby as well, but to be fair I think most people in the area know his party affiliation.

Give it a couple of days (if that)

JetBoy on March 24, 2008 at 1:12 PM

This story has been developing for months now, heh.

OneGyT on March 24, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Both, Clin’toon, and the Cabana-Boy, are courting Kwame, for an endorsement…And, as near as I can figure, he’s leaning towards Cabana-Boy.

Clin’toon dirty trick?

Stay tuned

franksalterego on March 24, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Yes, but the man who helped cover this whole thing up for several years is a REPUBLICAN, Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox. And More Here, too.

Debbie Schlussel on March 24, 2008 at 2:09 PM

It was fun watching this pan out..

he lost the case against him and was in the press before the ink was dry on the judgment saying that he would ‘appeal the settlement’..

the Hip-Hop Mayor is a slick one..

DaveC on March 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Mike Cox had his own little affair a few years back that surfaced..

Mike Cox came forward and announced that he had one… it was part of a standoff between him and Geoffrey Figer (the little man, big suit lawyer who defended Dr. Death, Jack Kevorkian)
and some ethics charge, I believe..

DaveC on March 24, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Another modern day lynching!

Can’t whitey just let a brother get his swerve on?

He’s just like Jesus!

thareb on March 24, 2008 at 2:17 PM

I don’t get it. Didn’t the 90′s teach us that perjury isn’t really perjury if it’s about sex? And since Kwame lied under oath about sex, it can’t actually be perjury, now can it?

crushliberalism on March 24, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Debbie Schlussel on March 24, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I think someone has some knowledge about Cox that could be a career-ender. Wasn’t it Cox that rendered the Manoogian party an urban legend?

If there was a party at the Manoogian, Cox is done too IMO.

swami on March 24, 2008 at 2:27 PM

I hope that if Kwame gets locked up in prison, someone will finally have the nerve to speak up about the drive-by shooting murder of the Manogian Mansion party stripper.

Bill Brasky on March 24, 2008 at 2:29 PM

As the Liberal Party Titanic heads for a
Denver,the Liberal Democratic band of fraud,
sex and corruption keeps on playing trying to
dodge scandal after scandel!

canopfor on March 24, 2008 at 1:20 PM

I love that name. It’s so appropos.

I’ve been reading the articles from Detroit Free Press, and they’ve been doing a fine investigative job. There’s no way this is going to get swept away.

Dubn8tr on March 24, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Been a while since I left Detroit–is Kwame the guy from the DPD “undercover” Navigator incident too?

Blacksmith on March 24, 2008 at 3:02 PM

it’s at the end of the posting..

DaveC on March 24, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Blacksmith on March 24, 2008 at 3:02 PM

swami on March 24, 2008 at 3:18 PM

For a great, funny video, check out Kwame Kilpatrick’s anti-Israel Mommy defending her son–more deranged than Cynthia McKinney–over these same charges (first video at bottom of article). I hope we see a reprise, today, but I doubt it.

Debbie Schlussel on March 24, 2008 at 3:47 PM

If he goes to jail the Liberals will have a new criminal to adopt. I think President Obama would pardon him anyway.

Claypigeon on March 24, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Blacksmith

Yes, Kwame used police department funds to get his wife a Navigator…IMO to placate the Mrs. after the “urban legend” of a party and his many booty calls with Beatty. The mayor has been using city funds as if it were his own bank.

Also, and I may be wrong, but I believe the MSM just assumes everybody knows Detroit is democratic enclave… or the D in Detroit implies democrat.

Jetboy should Kwame be convicted, the president of the city council becomes mayor. He is not part of the Kilpatrick administration but he is a democrat.

PoketheBear on March 24, 2008 at 4:05 PM

The Democrat Party, f*cking anyone they can, any way they can.

infidel4life on March 24, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Detroit (AP) …Speaking two hours later, the Democratic mayor said he expects to be cleared. He did not deny wrongdoing and did not address the calls for his resignation.

I did my duty and sent a scathing email to AP about their “omission.” Now here it is, in paragraph four.

/full credit to me

Akzed on March 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM

IDEA FOR A T-SHIRT: “Eh, it`s only perjury.” with a donkey underthe words. :)

ThePrez on March 24, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Are you SURE this is a real news story and not just a clip from Robocop II?

52Ranger on March 24, 2008 at 7:44 PM

They’ll never make this stick. If it’s a Detroit jury pool forget it! It’s just another example of the man tryin’ to keep a brother down…It’s just a media lynch mob!

jwp1964 on March 24, 2008 at 8:13 PM

IDEA FOR A T-SHIRT: “Eh, it`s only perjury.” with a donkey underthe words. :)

Better Idea For A T-Shirt:
Detroit Free Press Front page w/ a big picture of Kwame replete with earings, a sur headline of “Council to Mayor:” and a banner headline of “Nigga, Please!”

Note to HotAir staff. Last week I almost got mugged by a groups of black teens. One of them said, “Let’s jump the nigga”, so I guess I’m an honorary homeboy and can use the N word with no fear of reprisal.

rokemronnie on March 25, 2008 at 6:04 AM

NewsBusters is all over this. I additionally noted that not even — or should that be “especially” — the Detroit News has bothered to include his party affiliation in any of its articles.

Ditto, BTW, for NY governor David Paterson, who has now admitted to numerous extramarital affairs as well as pot and cocaine use. Go ahead, find any MSM article that includes the big D. I dares ya.

Paul_in_NJ on March 25, 2008 at 10:13 AM