Carville on Richardson/Judas comparison: I’m not sorry

posted at 6:12 pm on March 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

We’re seeing a surprising burst of love for the lefty lizard in the comments to the Headlines item on this. Was KP ahead of the curve in anticipating a backlash to the reject/denounce two-step that’s defined the last month or so of presidential campaigning? Is “damn right I meant it” the new hallmark of admirable buck-stops-here character? I kind of wish Obama had taken this approach in his Wright speech, extending a middle finger and then letting his media sycophants spin the hell out of it for him. “‘The bird’ — obscene gesture or eloquent expression of speaking truth to power?” wonders Chris Matthews on Hardball.

James Carville, a political adviser to the Clintons, said this afternoon that he stood by his comment last Friday – Good Friday, to Christians – comparing Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico to Judas, even though a Clinton campaign aide said today that, if he were Mr. Carville, he would apologize for the remark.

“I was quoted accurately and in context, and I was glad to give the quote and I was glad I gave it,” Mr. Carville said. “I’m not apologizing, I’m not resigning, I’m not doing anything.”

Exit question: If Richardson is Judas then Hillary is Jesus, which means she’s basically required to forgive Carville, isn’t she? Unless he’s not sorry — which he isn’t. So why hasn’t she canned him? Does he get a special exemption because he nests in her pericardial sac?

Update: Comments imported!

Comments

He shoulda just called him a Benedict Arnold and left it at that, instead of going straight to “triple dog dare ya” on Good Friday and all.

Akzed on March 24, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Well, I don’t say this often, but good for James Carville.

aero on March 24, 2008 at 4:15 PM

I don’t like him but at least he stands by his statements and doesn’t apologize or retract when the going gets tough.

saltydogg14 on March 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Well, I don

TheBigOldDog on March 24, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Do they even have Good Friday on his home planet?

tlynch001 on March 24, 2008 at 4:26 PM

James Carville was 100% spot on. Bill Richardson wouldn’t be anything if it wasn’t for the Clintons. Now, he goes and stabs them in the back.

SoulGlo on March 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM

It’s a wierd world when we are rooting for Hillary and Carville.

faraway on March 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Good for him. Don’t agree with him politically (most of the time), but he’s standing his ground and not bowing to the followers of the Messiah.

amerpundit on March 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Darwin would roll over in his grave…a democrat with a backbone. They need to extract his DNA and spread it amongst the party leaders. So far BJ Clinton has been the only one really spreading his DNA around the ranks and interns.

trs on March 24, 2008 at 4:30 PM

I’ve always wondered what the price tag on a Cabinet seat was, now I know…30 pieces of silver.

repvoter on March 24, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Wonder why he didn’t sugarcoat it like he did about Billy Jeff: “He’s a good man who’s done a bad thing.”

txsurveyor on March 24, 2008 at 4:35 PM

I don’t care for his politics, but James Carville is a fighter. I’m like him.

paul006 on March 24, 2008 at 4:48 PM

That should read, I like him.

paul006 on March 24, 2008 at 4:48 PM

You suppose Richardson is endorsing Obama because he knows the Clintons very well?

AlanC on March 24, 2008 at 4:51 PM

It

windansea on March 24, 2008 at 4:53 PM

There are a few real men left, and Mr. Carville has real stones. Good on him!

Then he added this coup de grace:

Entelechy on March 24, 2008 at 4:57 PM

I

MadisonConservative on March 24, 2008 at 4:58 PM

So implicitly he is calling Hillary Jesus and Obama a Jew. They should auction off the rights to pound nails into Hillary’s hands.

pedestrian on March 24, 2008 at 5:01 PM

I love James Carville…not his politics, but he calls ‘em as he sees ‘em! For sure! Don’t know HOW Mary Matalin can stand being married to him, though!!

ihasurnominashun on March 24, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Esthier on March 24, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Don

Entelechy on March 24, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Well, I don

INC on March 24, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Where is the Bumper Sticker? “I’m not doing anything”

Wade on March 24, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Well, they are both right. It was a betrayal and it was something the Clinton people say.

Btw, has anyone else noticed how TAN Richardson is now? I just find that curious. Is he trying to look more hispanic or what?

Rightwingsparkle on March 24, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Heh. For once I agree with the Ragin’ Cajun.

NTWR on March 24, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Is he trying to look more hispanic or what?

As a Hispanic, I’m offended by that remark. Judas.

Enrique on March 24, 2008 at 5:27 PM

If Richardson is Judas then Hillary is Jesus

Now, there’s one assumption too many…

Entelechy on March 24, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Is he trying to look more hispanic or what?

Wait until he starts saying “esé” instead of ‘man”

LimeyGeek on March 24, 2008 at 6:20 PM

nests in her pericardial sac

That sounds vaguely barf-inducing.

baldilocks on March 24, 2008 at 6:30 PM

I miss the show Crossfire on CNN.

terryannonline on March 24, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Is he trying to look more hispanic or what?

No he is just stopping trying to look more white.

Wade on March 24, 2008 at 6:30 PM

From this conservative – Bill Richardson is a Judas.

BTW – doesn’t Richardson have a day job.

He spends all his time doing interviews.

I guess New Mexico can run itself just fine without him.

No Doubt!

jake-the-goose on March 24, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Of course Carville isn’t sorry. He’s doing what he’s supposed to do as the Clinton’s attack chihuahua.

TooTall on March 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM

If Richardson is Judas then Hillary is Jesus

And I just got used to the idea that Obama was Jesus and Hillary was King Harrod.

Bicyea on March 24, 2008 at 6:38 PM

I hope the McCain campaign has this much testicular fortitude come the general election.

SouthernGent on March 24, 2008 at 6:38 PM

I asked a question about Carville’s motives the other day in a thread. This is the response I got. I think it was from Aero:

“Ideologies aren’t all that important. What’s important is psychology.

The Democratic constituency is just like a herd of cows. All you have to do is lay out enough silage and they come running. That’s why I became an operative working with Democrats. With Democrats all you have to do is make a lot of noise, lay out the hay, and be ready to use the ole cattle prod in case a few want to bolt the herd.

Eighty percent of the people who call themselves Democrats don’t have a clue as to political reality.
What amazes me is that you could take a group of people who are hard workers and convince them that they should support social programs that were the exact opposite of their own personal convictions. Put a little fear here and there and you can get people to vote any way you want.

The voter is basically dumb and lazy. The reason I became a Democratic operative instead of a Republican was because there were more Democrats that didn’t have a clue than there were Republicans.

Truth is relative. Truth is what you can make the voter believe is the truth. If you’re smart enough, truth is what you make the voter think it is. That’s why I’m a Democrat. I can make the Democratic voters think whatever I want them to.”

JiangxiDad on March 24, 2008 at 6:43 PM

TooTall on March 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM

TooTall, exactly. Even though many of my Hotair friends above, whom I usually find myself in agreement with, are verbally patting Mr Carville on the back for this, I have no respect for this man. All he is doing is playing the roll of Clinton attack dog. He’s probably getting a fat check for this and, sure, thats all well and good but certainly not worthy of respect. The difference between the Carville’s of this world and the Limbaughs, Malkins, Wills, Krauthammers, etc is that the commenters on the right are just as willing to critisize our candidates for wrong doing then they are to critisize the Dem candidate. James Carville could be presented with video footage of Hillary Clinton shooting someone in the head with a gun and he would still be defending her while simultaneously attacking her opponents. So of course he’s not going to back down from his comments. This is what he does, bark and attack on cue. So long as the money is flowing he’s more then willing to sell his soul to the Devil. It truly is reason #98756998 I’m happy not to be a Democrat.

Zetterson on March 24, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Hey Zett. Carville admits to what u just said in the quote above.

JiangxiDad on March 24, 2008 at 6:54 PM

JiangxiDad, wow. I didn’t see your post because I was typing as you posted but all I can say is – wow. That is amazing. Simply amazing.

Zetterson on March 24, 2008 at 6:59 PM

I know.

JiangxiDad on March 24, 2008 at 7:06 PM

However, what does that say about Matlin? Nothing good. Either she knows how he feels (apolitical lying douchebag w/out scruples)and stays with him, or, she doesn’t know what makes him tick, which makes her stupid.

It’s OK for him to be a douchebag I guess, but to embarrass his wife publicly. That is not acceptable.

JiangxiDad on March 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM

JiangxiDad on March 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Perhaps it’s purely physical.

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 24, 2008 at 7:20 PM

JiangxiDad on March 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM

It doesn’t say anything good about her, thats for sure. In fact, I would just conclude that she is no different then he is. Its just business. How could it not be? She knows her husband better then we do. To tell you the truth, I’ve never found her to be all that convincing because, from what I can recall, I’ve never heard her speak out against a Republican. She might say something about the problem McCain has with the Republican base but she will never say that she has a problem with him. They (her and her husband), I suspect, are just high paid political cheerleaders. I can’t respect that. I respect those who are the opposite. I trust the opposite. Even Allahpundit on this site, is he ever for any Republican candidate? No. Never. In fact he spends his days pointing out problems he has with all of them. Thats why I like this place. Thats why I don’t have any respect for Carville in this case.

Zetterson on March 24, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Perhaps it’s purely physical.

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 24, 2008 at 7:20 PM

HAHAHAAAAA!!

Zetterson on March 24, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Not really on topic, but Carville looks like an elf to me.

He’s a weird-looking guy. (I guess that’s to undercut JayHaw Phrenzie’s supposition)

meep on March 24, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Richardson, Obama, Carville or Clinton. Those are our choices? And me without a cliff to drive off.

oakpack on March 24, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Carville. Can’t live with him. And, can’t live with him.

saved on March 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Carville: (With Apologies to Tolkien)

Obama? Obama? Fat Mexican is always so polite. I shows him secret ways around Washington that nobody else could find, and he says “Obama! Obama?” Very nice friend. Oh, yes, my precious. Very nice, very nice.
…….

She’s always hungry. She always needs to feed. She must eat.
All she gets lately is nasty orcses.
And they doesn’t taste very nice, does they, Precious?
No. Not very nice at all, my love.

Well, she will eat the Fat Mexican soon, My Precious.

LegendHasIt on March 24, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Bill Richardson wouldn’t be anything if it wasn’t for the Clintons.

As a resident of New Mexico, I can clearly state that he still isn’t anything.

I just wish we had people in the Republican party with the stones that Carville is showing. Instead, we’ve got Juan “Don’t say anything true about my opponents that may seem mean” McClueless as our candidate. I blame Allahpundit for trashing Fred! so often at the beginning of his campaign.

rmgraha on March 24, 2008 at 7:43 PM

So why hasn’t she canned him?

AP, is Carville actually working for the campaign? I thought he and Begala had firmly ruled that out several weeks ago.

mikeyboss on March 24, 2008 at 7:47 PM

rmgraha on March 24, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Good thing he came in late. AP could have been bashing him for much longer and Fred would have had even fewer votes. Guess you gotta be grateful for the small things :)

JiangxiDad on March 24, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Carville on Richardson/Judas comparison: I’m not sorry

Somewhere a village is missing it’s idiot zoo is missing it’s lizard,

MB4 on March 24, 2008 at 8:22 PM

JiangxiDad on March 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Maybe they’re in love and consider their marriage above politics. Not everything is political. I found myself arguing with a guy on a lefty blog a while back who insisted that Shakespeare was a “war propagandist”. Not everything should be reduced to politics imo.

aengus on March 24, 2008 at 8:31 PM

If Hillary is Jesus,Richardson is Judas,does that make
Barrack Obama Ponchis Pilot!

canopfor on March 24, 2008 at 8:31 PM

mgraha on March 24, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Fred ought to have supported the Federal Life Amendment at the beginning of his campaign – he would’ve done better that way I think.

aengus on March 24, 2008 at 8:32 PM

A sense of entitlement for the Presidency! LOL

Vote for Obama or you are a racist! BWWAHAHAHA!

Obama and Richardson? The dynamic race duo.. OMG..

Chakra Hammer on March 24, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Actually,the phrase entitlement that Richardson says
is about the Presidentcy,or in this case the Liberal
entitlement,sounds about right with Hillary.

For some reason Hillary,and Bills two terms in office,
Richardson thinks and maybe believes that when Hillary
tells the Liberal Democratic Party to jump and how high!

Problem for Hill,no ones jumping for her in the Party,now jumping off Team Hillarys ship is another story!

canopfor on March 24, 2008 at 8:49 PM

“Entitlement” went out the door at the debate regarding NY’s illegal aliens and getting drivers licenses.
However, I get the feeling Obama feels ‘entitled’ too. Have you ever noticed him when he has someone charishing his holiness (Bill Richardson) and his arms are crossed. Crossed arms as far as I know represent a ‘put-off’ attitude. A wall perhaps. Watching other Presidents and people of public life they draw their hands down to their sides or in front of them. I think he is not listening to anything. He’s on his cloud and watching his minions talk.

geminicontender on March 24, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Speaking of Judas

Carville and the Dems all sound Pontius drunk.

Reeling and spitting and clawing.

Good stuff.

More popcorn!

The Via Negativa is a lumpy road.

profitsbeard on March 24, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Ha, I wouldn’t take it as far as saying therefore Hillary is Jesus, by no means, he is just calling him a traitor, so what??? Can’t you say anything sincere anymore? Why is an apology necessary? That is how he feels. I say, good for him, don’t wimp out, tell it like it is!!

Conservatives R Us on March 24, 2008 at 9:31 PM

dude…give me a spew alert when you’re going to be that funny.

by the way, the only thing Richardson was missing was a sombrero.

DrW on March 24, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Barrack Obama Ponchis Pilot!

ponchis? i’m no stickler, but it’s Pontius Pilate.

you make him sound like an Hispanic aviator.

DrW on March 24, 2008 at 9:37 PM

O.K. guys, who let GOLUM out of his cave?

sharinlite on March 24, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Barrack Obama is Ponchis pilot.
canopfor on March 24,2008 at 8:31PM.

ponchis?
DrW on March 24,2008 at 9:37PM.

DrW: Good point,I have to confess,I didn’t know the proper
spelling,could of been worse,like Pontiac!haha

canopfor on March 24, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Richardson’s Reply: “Kiss off!”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on March 24, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Do you really want to say Hillary is Jesus and give Bill a chance to find out his mother-in-law’s a virgin?

jon1979 on March 24, 2008 at 11:05 PM

I do not often find myself in agreement with Carville, but he is dead on here. Richardson would be a nobody if it weren’t for the Clintons. No way this set well with Broom Hilda.

If I were he, I would hire myself a food-taster.

Maybe two.

Dave R. on March 24, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Wow, someone on the left who has a spine. Its refreshing not to hear a condescending, apologist try to talk his or her way out of a comment that was spot-on and completely un-offensive to 99.8% of the US population.

Luckedout on March 24, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Carville is one dumb coonass, but good for him.

Johan Klaus on March 25, 2008 at 1:30 AM

Richardson is Judas!!!

Where’s my gumbo!!!

labrat on March 25, 2008 at 4:12 AM

There is a good chance that Serpenthead here is going to be the next one Shillary is going to throw under the bus, unless he learns to keep his opinion behind his teeth. This clown has a well known bad habit of not knowing when to shut the hell up, and with the way this campaign is going, this time it may cost him.

pilamaye on March 25, 2008 at 6:59 AM

I have never understood what it is that Mr Carville brings to the table. To give an example, I disagree with Michael Kinsley some of the time, but I can at least acknowledge that he’s put some thought into his punditry (which is what I used to think of Arianna, before she did that bedroom scene with Al Franken and decided that was where the money was, but I digress…). I cannot say the same for Carville, who appears to be consigned to verbally bludgeoning his talking-head opponents without a cogent point. Oh, and he’s from Louisiana, which means he can play up that “ragin’ Cajun” angle, and the rest of us can go, oh boy, what an original guy.

And please don’t tell me it’s because he’s a liberal, and liberals are stupid. There’s gotta be more to it than that.

manwithblackhat on March 25, 2008 at 10:22 AM