Shareholder to Disney: Sell me the rights to “Path to 9/11″ so I can put it on DVD

posted at 4:30 pm on March 22, 2008 by Allahpundit

The uproar over this has been lost in the shuffle of a thousand other outrages since, which is too bad: Threatening Disney’s broadcast license for airing it really was one of the Democrats’ filthiest moments of the past two years, of a piece with every Fairness-type speech-squashing rumble that rolls through their side from time to time. The debate’s since moved on to the curious fact that Disney has yet to issue PT9/11 on DVD, despite the fact that it cost $40 million to make and aired without commercials. Granted, the ratings were disappointing, but Disney should want to recoup some of that investment, right?

Right?

[Disney shareholder and portfolio manager Tom] Borelli has now told The Washington Times he plans to make an offer to buy the DVD rights to “Path,” an Emmy-winning miniseries that prompted fury among Democrats for its depiction of the Clinton administration as dithering and adrift in the face of the growing threat from radical Islamic terrorism…

Mr. Borelli said he suspects the decision not to release “Path” is related to Sen. Hillary Clinton’s presidential ambitions. [Disney chairman Robert] Iger has donated money to Mrs. Clinton’s Senate campaigns…

Citing the costs involved in marketing a DVD, [Disney VP Zenia] Mucha said the potential return wasn’t worth the investment, “given the performance of the miniseries.” She added that Disney’s board of directors had the chance to consider the arguments for releasing the DVD version of “Path.”

It’s unclear why “Path” would require the marketing investment of a typical DVD release, given the extraordinary levels of news media exposure it has received as a result of the political controversy…

William Triplett, a District-based reporter for entertainment industry bible Variety, said Disney’s argument that it wants to avoid controversial material is consistent with its position regarding “Fahrenheit 9/11.” Disney originally owned the rights to that film, but the company decided not to distribute it.

However, Disney did allow producer Harvey Weinstein to buy and distribute “Fahrenheit” via his Miramax division, establishing a precedent for selling the distribution rights to “Path,” Mr. Triplett said.

If you’ve never seen it, the last half-hour is fantastic. Start with part two, section 13 (in the second row) and keep going through the end.

Comments

Was this the movie with the gal who played the wife on Everyone Loves Raymond? If it is, she deserved an award for that performance. Pure Evil.

Buddahpundit on March 22, 2008 at 4:45 PM

I saw this when it aired. Not only was it well made and stuck to the facts, but it was well acted as well, with some well-known actors in it. I definitely would purchase this on DVD.

One of the scenes I remember the most is a shot of a protest/rally somewhere in the Middle East with a huge sign of President Clinton being burned and people chanting death to America or death to Clinton or something. Puts the lie to the assertion that we were loved all across the Middle East when Clinton was in office, and the animosity for us started only after President Bush took office.

Michael in MI on March 22, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Buddahpundit on March 22, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Yes, Patricia Heaton is a very talented actress. I agree, her performance was great.

labrat on March 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM

She’s a Republican too, isn’t she? Regardless, it was a very good series.

Luthien on March 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM

She’s a Republican too, isn’t she?

Luthien on March 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM

labrat on March 22, 2008 at 4:55 PM

I hope Tom Burelli is successful. I’d buy a copy.

Zorro on March 22, 2008 at 5:14 PM

I hope Tom Burelli is successful. I’d buy a copy.

Zorro on March 22, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Ditto.

newton on March 22, 2008 at 5:47 PM

missed it the first time it was aired, woulb buy the DVD in a heartbeat.

Hog Wild on March 22, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Any one want to form a co-op and buy it from the Disneynazi?

opusrex on March 22, 2008 at 7:40 PM

A friend of mine worked crew on that film. Even went to Morocco, I think, where they shot the desert scenes. Most of the rest was shot in Canada. Toronto, actually. yay!

Anyway, long story short, Harvey Keitel demanded, and received as part of his contract, Swiss tshirts (or underwear…can’t remember which) in large quantities that had to be specially shipped from Switzerland.

Ah, celebrities.

Still, had this recorded on the PVR and then upgraded to HD and gave the SD PVR to the in-laws before I had a chance to watch it.

I’d give it a go on DVD.

MT

Mistahtibbs on March 22, 2008 at 8:02 PM

I’d buy a few copies for my friends too!

HawaiiLwyr on March 22, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Threatening Disney’s broadcast license

The way I see it, we’ve probably got rid of Hillary for now. And stuff like this makes getting rid of Clintons top priority.

What we’re getting in their place is probably ideologically more radical, but maybe it’s easier to be an ideological radical than it is an opportunistic weasel.

petefrt on March 22, 2008 at 8:08 PM

“…… its depiction of the Clinton administration as dithering and adrift in the face of the growing threat from radical Islamic terrorism…”

Now THAT phrase belongs in a history book!

Seven Percent Solution on March 22, 2008 at 8:48 PM

Some enterprising young HotAir reader should start a petition to buy the DVDs.

faraway on March 22, 2008 at 9:17 PM

ABC/Disney puts out two of my family’s favorite shows (Just For Laughs & America’s Funniest Home Videos), so it wasn’t hard for me to notice that they’ve been moving closer & closer to the center in their political coverage as NBC creeps even farther to the left.
ABC, you’ve come a long way from Peter Jennings’ “America had a snit” gripe.

jgapinoy on March 22, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Haven’t the Chinese pirated it yet?

It should be available on every major street corner in every major city for $5, just like every other film.

If 1959′s “Teenagers From Outer Space” is to be had for a buck at Wal-Mart, this feature should be on the shelves. too.

profitsbeard on March 22, 2008 at 11:06 PM

p.s.-

3 copies of the promo press release version are on ebay, for any who missed the broadcast.

profitsbeard on March 22, 2008 at 11:20 PM

I definitely would purchase this on DVD.

Michael in MI on March 22, 2008 at 4:48 PM

I too would buy the DVD. I missed part of it and didn’t get to see it all, so I went to the web site to see if it was already offered on DVD.

I seem to recall it saying there that it was coming soon. I checked back quite a few times, then couldn’t get to the link anymore.

91Veteran on March 22, 2008 at 11:46 PM

If they don’t release it, someone else will make a similar film they wont be able to stop.

The book written by the guy carrying the nuclear football, who witnessed slick willy refusing to pull the trigger on usama 15 times is still available.

dogsoldier on March 23, 2008 at 7:16 AM

….

Michael in MI on March 22, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Stuck to the facts? It seems to me that when even the guy in charge says he dramatized the events, sticking to the facts may be a bit of a stretch:

From Frontpagemag

Nowrasteh: This miniseries is not just about the tragedy and events of 9/11, it dramatizes “how we got there” going back 8 years to the first attack on the WTC and dealing with the Al Qaeda strikes against U.S. embassies and forces in the 90s, the political lead-up, the hatching of the terrorist plots, etc.

mycowardice on March 23, 2008 at 8:55 AM

mycowardice on March 23, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Are you aware that your link and your quote don’t support your assertion?

The frequency with which we see that kind of behavior may be some kind of hint as to the mindset of some people.

Here’s your first hint – “dramatize” means that this was a narrative movie and not a documentary – the linked interview NOWHERE suggests that facts were invented or suppressed for that purpose.

Merovign on March 23, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Nah, the Cintons are just afraid someone will see Sandy (the Burgler) Berger for what he really is!

Vntnrse on March 23, 2008 at 9:07 PM

I missed the broadcast and have been waiting for the DVD ever since… (cue weeping, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments)

Cylor on March 23, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Thank goodness somebody is showing some round ones to try to get this thing to market.

Considering all the other crap that gets rushed to market, I can’t believe this has been withheld.

Captain Scarlet on March 24, 2008 at 7:21 AM