But I thought Obama was the Messiah!

posted at 10:25 am on March 22, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The bitterness deepens in the Democratic primary, and when one reaches the dregs, one cannot be surprised to see … James Carville. In today’s New York Times reporting on the Bill Richardson endorsement of Barack Obama, Carville vents his spleen at the former Clinton administration official — by comparing him to Judas Iscariot in a deliberate reference to the Easter holiday (via Power Line):

Mr. Richardson stopped returning Mr. Clinton’s calls days ago, Mr. Clinton’s aides said. And as of Friday, Mr. Richardson said, he had yet to pick up the phone to tell Mr. Clinton of his decision.

The reaction of some of Mr. Clinton’s allies suggests that might have been a wise decision. “An act of betrayal,” said James Carville, an adviser to Mrs. Clinton and a friend of Mr. Clinton.

“Mr. Richardson’s endorsement came right around the anniversary of the day when Judas sold out for 30 pieces of silver, so I think the timing is appropriate, if ironic,” Mr. Carville said, referring to Holy Week.

If the endorsement of Obama makes Richardson a Judas, does that mean Carville thinks of Hillary as the Messiah? I thought that was Barack Obama? Or does Carville think that Obama is the Devil, or Pontius Pilate, or … a Pharisee? Perhaps Carville was being more literal and accusing Richardson of being bought off by Obama — maybe with an offer to join Obama’s ticket.

Obama isn’t an innocent in this bare-knuckled brawling, either. His chief military adviser compared Bill Clinton to Joe McCarthy yesterday as well. Both sides have unleashed their primary surrogates, and both campaigns have started flinging the mud in earnest.

John McCain, meanwhile, continues meeting with world leaders and avoiding Messiah complexes altogether. When the general election comes around, the American electorate will want a serious leader for serious times.

Comments

I think Denver should think about a suspension of gasoline sales in small containers.

a capella on March 22, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Somone correct me. Wasn’t Judas the one who betrayed Jesus?

El Guapo on March 22, 2008 at 10:38 AM

a capella

What does that have to do with this topic, and how would that help?

El Guapo on March 22, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I actually agree with Carville..

Pam on March 22, 2008 at 10:39 AM

El Guapo on March 22, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I took it to mean that things are going to get nasty in Denver at the convention..I think it has everything to do with the topic

Pam on March 22, 2008 at 10:41 AM

El Guapo on March 22, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Yes, Judas betrayed Jesus; hence, Carville’s assertion that Richardson is Judas because he betrayed Hillary; hence; Ed’s feigned confusion about who the real messiah is in this race. For months, conventional wisdom has said that Obama was… Carville’s analogy would lead one to believe that HILLARY was… got it?

D2Boston on March 22, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Ed, one error in your comments. It isn’t mud the Donks are flinging at each other. Actually something a little more odiferous.

JonRoss on March 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Cue Edward G Robinson in The Ten Commandments: “Where’s your Messiah now Obamabots, eh? I go to serve the Clinton, see?”

TheBigOldDog on March 22, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I’ll pop the popcorn. Somebody get the drinks. This is fun to watch!

MCPO Airdale on March 22, 2008 at 10:47 AM

I’m glad I dont live in Denver.

southsideironworks on March 22, 2008 at 10:48 AM

I agree with Carville too. Here’s the rub though Jimmy, you picked the wrong party if had expectations of loyalty.

AYNBLAND on March 22, 2008 at 10:49 AM

I agree with Carville on this one. The Clintons gave Richardson his career. Everything he has he owes to BJ. And then he stabs them in the back over of Barry O. Hillary might put a contract on his head. You except disloyalty in politics but this is the kind of betrayal you only see in mob movies.

Vote Sauron 08 on March 22, 2008 at 10:49 AM

They’re not going to be able to paper over or repair the damages caused by this unless – and only unless – the loser accepts the VP slot.

And I can’t see that happening.

Long way to go but a President McCain is looking mighty good right now. A day is a lifetime in politics, though.

SteveMG on March 22, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Democrats should refrain from using Biblical references. Clearly, it just confuses their constituency.

Beyond that, I didn’t realize that signing on to the Clinton Administration was like joining the mob or some street gang. Richardson is just positioning himself for the obvious- The Democrats will not be putting another Clinton up for the Presidency.

highhopes on March 22, 2008 at 10:50 AM

a capella

My bad. I didn’t see the “other uses” of small containers you were refering to. If the D party resorts to violence that would only cement and prove once and for all the existence of fascism within their ranks/supporters.

I can’t believe Richardson switched his promised support like that, even after the double-talk (and being caught lying) of Obama and his postor’s racist/propagandist speaches and his church’s newletters that mirrored those coming from Hezbollah. WTF? Whose side is that party on anyways?

I think they are just full of people who hate being proven wrong, no matter how polite you go about doing it.

El Guapo on March 22, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Bill Richardson, man of courage and integrity:

Mr. Richardson stopped returning Mr. Clinton’s calls days ago, Mr. Clinton’s aides said. And as of Friday, Mr. Richardson said, he had yet to pick up the phone to tell Mr. Clinton of his decision/blockquote>

What a coward. No matter what you think of them, Clinton gave the man an major opportunity which has helped him greatly in his career. Gratitude and integrity dictates you at least do them the courtesy of telling them you’re about to stab them in the back and why.

TheBigOldDog on March 22, 2008 at 10:55 AM

When compared to Hillary or Obama, McCain appears to fit that description better than the other two. We all know he is not serious at all about Homeland Security because of the advisers he has surrounded himself and his knuckle-headed stance on Shamnesty. So he is by no means, a good choice and still lacks the support of conservatives.

Zorro on March 22, 2008 at 10:59 AM

It is the unavoidable, final result of special interest, identity politics, and the emotional hysteria it creates will drive the convention. That’s why I hope McCain is smart enough to make his VP selection based on something other than race, gender, or religion.

a capella on March 22, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Or, to be more religiously inclusive, on the eve of Purim, Hillary had to eat a prune hamentaschen.

BTW, I live about 500 yards from New Mexico, and Bill Richardson is considered here to be a moron, fairly universally.

TexasJew on March 22, 2008 at 11:02 AM

McCain is handling this stuff beautifully. He’s staying serious, meeting world leaders, and not throwing mud.

Get ready for President McCain! The Dems will bring themselves down, and blame Republicans somehow for it too.

JetBoy on March 22, 2008 at 11:06 AM

TexasJew on March 22, 2008 at 11:02 AM

I’m about 2500 miles away. Looks to be the same from here.

btw, are you the only Jew is W. Texas?

JiangxiDad on March 22, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Looking at the polling, he also can’t make the decision (in total) to appease so called “conservatives.” He frankly hasn’t needed them and moderates/Ind are skewing towards him in this racial atmosphere. Who is that person?

AYNBLAND on March 22, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Hey, Richardson is a politician. He can’t be concerned with loyalties, he’s got a vp or other important position to consider. You can’t expect him to finish his govornorship or expect him to work a regular job now can you. I hope Obama fails to win the nomination or at least the presidancy. See how fast Richardson cozies up to some other demorat, he can forget the Clintons!

2theright on March 22, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Not to nitpick or start a fight, but Judas may not have been a villian. Jesus was born to die for our sins, it was His mission. Perhaps ‘betraying’ Him was Judas’s mission, even though he was not aware of it at the time.

O/Tat SWA we have a pilot whose last name is … get this … PONTIOUS! Pontious the pilot!

Tony737 on March 22, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Answer: None of the above. Richardson is the 3rd string understudy member of the chorus of the backup small market high school touring production of “Jesus Christ Superstar” who just got the chance to get Ted Neely to sign his Playbill by the backstage door in the big city.

Captain Scarlet on March 22, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Why is James Carville surprised? Hasn’t he heard the old saying “no honor among thieves”?

TooTall on March 22, 2008 at 11:13 AM

TheBigOldDog on March 22, 2008 at 10:46 AM

You have no idea how many times my sisters and I use that line..it is one of my all time favorites!

Pam on March 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM

AYNBLAND on March 22, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I honestly don’t know. Someone who can shore up his weak spots, but then those may be perceived differently for independents/moderates as opposed to hard conservatives.

a capella on March 22, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Why is James Carville surprised?

Well, he’s not, of course. I wonder what Carville gets out of his support? It’s not like he’s looking for a job. I suppose he’s a socialist, or worse.

JiangxiDad on March 22, 2008 at 11:17 AM

a capella on March 22, 2008 at 10:35 AM

They probably need to do that anyway. Check out Recreate 68.

eeyore on March 22, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Pam on March 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM

It’s been ringing in my ears ever since the Wright story broke….

It’s on tonight at 7pm EST on ABC. I’ll watch it for the 500th time and will look forward to that scene more than usual…

TheBigOldDog on March 22, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Thats OK we’re looking forward to an old testament ending to Democrat convention, something along the lines of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Going old testament could have a whole new meaning after that.

Speakup on March 22, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Billy & his fuzzy face make a wonderful picture along side of Obama. Obama looks a little shocked with a look on his face of, “what am I gonna have to pay this typical hispanic person for doing this?”

This so called Operation Chaos is taking on a life of its own. It does make me wonder what will go on in the streets of this country when something bad breaks either way.

wepeople on March 22, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Zorro

“So he is by no means, a good choice and still lacks the support of conservatives.”

Eleven months ago, when any candidate who supported the war is Iraq wad dead by Conventional Wisdom, John McCain was telling audiences that he’d rather lose the election than lose the war.
Let’s review. Are there any other presidential candidates who are willing to sacrifice their political ambitions for an issue they believe in? Take your time answering.

Trust me, the conservatives have well and truly decided that a President McCain will at least fill their glass half full; Obama and Hillary won’t even offer to pour.

E9RET on March 22, 2008 at 11:28 AM

a capella

My mind wanders back to Romney. I lived in Boston when he was Governor. Unlike Weld, he told the MA Democrats to pound sand and didn’t pander. He ran the state like a business and managed to get Bill Bulger tossed out on his ass and Tom Finneran indicted. Even the hack pols had a begrudging respect for him. He acted like a leader. The line on him, even then, was he was going through the motions to be elected in a blue state and almost immediately running for President. He was barely in the state his last two years in Office. His running mates in this cycle hated him because he, in their eyes, was willing to do and say anything to be President. So, having witnessed him in action on both fronts, he’s a paradox. The guy I saw his first two years as Governor of Massachusetts would be a great President.

AYNBLAND on March 22, 2008 at 11:30 AM

McCain will pick Lieberman for VP and Lindsey Graham for Atty Gen or Sec Def. Heard it here first.

UncleZeb on March 22, 2008 at 11:34 AM

In his own words, why James Carville chose to become a Democratic operative:

Ideologies aren’t all that important. What’s important is psychology.

The Democratic constituency is just like a herd of cows. All you have to do is lay out enough silage and they come running. That’s why I became an operative working with Democrats. With Democrats all you have to do is make a lot of noise, lay out the hay, and be ready to use the ole cattle prod in case a few want to bolt the herd.

Eighty percent of the people who call themselves Democrats don’t have a clue as to political reality.
What amazes me is that you could take a group of people who are hard workers and convince them that they should support social programs that were the exact opposite of their own personal convictions. Put a little fear here and there and you can get people to vote any way you want.

The voter is basically dumb and lazy. The reason I became a Democratic operative instead of a Republican was because there were more Democrats that didn’t have a clue than there were Republicans.

Truth is relative. Truth is what you can make the voter believe is the truth. If you’re smart enough, truth is what you make the voter think it is. That’s why I’m a Democrat. I can make the Democratic voters think whatever I want them to.

aero on March 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM

aero on March 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Heh. TOUCHDOWN! Do you happen to have a link for that. He must have been drunk.

a capella on March 22, 2008 at 11:44 AM

aero on March 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Never mind. Found the link at the top. Thanks.

a capella on March 22, 2008 at 11:46 AM

aero on March 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Great Aero. Appreciate that. I ALWAYS assumed that that was EXACTLY the conversation the young Bill Clinton had with the young Hillary Rodham to get her to switch from the young Republican mid-west conservative that she was. He said, there are two routes to power; the Dem. route is easier because the people are dumber.

Craven opportunists.

JiangxiDad on March 22, 2008 at 11:47 AM

What a mess. Vastly entertaining, but a mess nevertheless.

I am glad there has been very little whining about McCain. Those of us who aren’t thrilled by him are at least being adults about not getting our respective first choices.

Well…most of us, anyway. And even the disappointed malingerers are nothing like what has been going on–and will continue to go on–on the left. Denver will be interesting, and the couple of months between then and the election will be even more so.

Bob's Kid on March 22, 2008 at 11:55 AM

E9RET on March 22, 2008 at 11:28 AM said: Please. Do you think there is a large body of undecided conservatives in America’s hinterland debating whether they will stay home or vote Democrat?

I don’t of too many who plan to stay home or vote for a democrap but monetary and campaign support will not be there. And there are a lot like me who will vote for congress and local issues but as it stands now, I will not vote the top of the ballet. Republicans are not necessarily conservative. As demonstrated by our congress, too large a portion of the republicans are big spenders, open borders, power hungry politicians. Just like the democraps.

Zorro on March 22, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Obama had the unmitigated arrogance and, in a conscious calculation, upped the ante – particularly in this period of the Christian calendar – to “the original sin of slavery.” In doing so, Obama has placed himself in the position of “POPE OBAMA,” from whom – and ONLY from whom – “Racial Indulgences” may be bought.

Lockstein13 on March 22, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Inching closer and closer to Godwin’s Law. Come on people; go there. You know you want to.

lorien1973 on March 22, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Start stocking up on fond memories of the city of Denver now.

Chuck Schick on March 22, 2008 at 12:24 PM

This is to good to be true. Let the DEMS go off on their own, with no adult supervision??? Once again the DEMS snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Yet, here we have Juan McCain standing by on the sidelines. He is watching the parade go by with no comment. UN-fing-believable. Could someone please get Juan some of the tapes of DOLE/KEMP 96′. This might give him a clue on how not to run a campaign.

pueblo1032 on March 22, 2008 at 12:54 PM

et tu, Bill?

Beware the ides of March.

Over30 on March 22, 2008 at 12:58 PM

pueblo1032 on March 22, 2008 at 12:54 PM

He’s doing just fine right now. The Dems weren’t bearing down on fragmentation and desperately grasping for a safety rope in ’96.

a capella on March 22, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Aero, LOVE the quote from Carville on why he is a Democrat! Just to contrast with Gov. Billy, who hasn’t the foggiest idea why he supports Obama, I repeat my post from MM:

From the NYT:

“There’s something special about this guy,” Mr. Richardson said of Mr. Obama. “I’ve been trying to figure it out, but it’s very good.”

This is a very telling comment. Even a seasoned politician has no freakin’ idea of why he is ENDORSING him!

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

fred5678 on March 22, 2008 at 1:09 PM

If the pledged and super delegate ballots are not secret, Hillary and Carville must push to get them so, thus allowing the liberal closet racists to vote for her heinous whilst proclaiming Obama the messiah.

Hillarys’ path to victory banking on the closet, KKK, white liberals.

Don’t sell any gas, ban all vehicles that use gas, take your money and leave Denver or any other major American City

dhunter on March 22, 2008 at 1:57 PM

And a huge crowd of Democrats assembled and they shouted:
“Give us Barabbus Barrack!”
And the proconsul asked the crowd “What should I do with this other one?”
And the crowd shouted back:
“Crucify him her!”

My collie says:

Sorry. Somehow, it’s just not the same.

CyberCipher on March 22, 2008 at 2:17 PM

I’m glad I dont live in Denver.
southsideironworks

Start stocking up on fond memories of the city of Denver now.
Chuck Schick on March 22, 2008

sniff, sniff.
from a sad guy in the burbs.

shooter on March 22, 2008 at 2:24 PM

JetBoy on March 22, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Agreed.

JustTruth101 on March 22, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Vote Sauron 08,
So he is supposed to continue to support Hillary even if he thinks Obama is a better candidate?

Haven’t we been roundly criticizing Obama for the past two weeks for keeping ties with Rev Wright, when he supposedly no longer agrees with him?

exhelodrvr on March 22, 2008 at 3:20 PM

lorien1973 on March 22, 2008 at 12:09 PM

It’s only 50 some posts. I’d think it would need to be a bit longer before we get the appropriate references.

Oldnuke on March 22, 2008 at 3:26 PM

You don’t need a weatherman to see which way the wind is blowing, not with Bill Richardson around.

DelD on March 22, 2008 at 3:59 PM

in a deliberate reference to the Easter holiday

Sure, the godless love to invoke Biblical analogies when it suits their purposes.

Satan himself quoted scripture in his temptation of Christ.

labrat on March 22, 2008 at 4:41 PM

AYNBLAND on March 22, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Yep, and this is why Conservatives should *not* be cheering on all the in-fighting of the Democrats. Because the more the Democrat Party destroys itself, the less McCain has to do to court Conservatives. The more the Democrat Party looks foolish, the more McCain knows that he is gaining Independents and cross-over Democrats.

So basically, the further the Democrat Party goes to the left – and goes insane – the further John McCain feels he can go back to his natural leftist positions.

This is one time in which I completely disagree with Rush Limbaugh and his “Operation Chaos”. I am glad that it has helped Hillary, but I don’t think chaos in half of our government is what we need. We need two strong Parties to be honest checks and balances on one another.

Michael in MI on March 22, 2008 at 6:09 PM

“Satan himself (mis)quoted scripture in his temptation of Christ.

labrat on March 22, 2008 at 4:41 PM
fixed it for you, friend.

Doug on March 22, 2008 at 8:21 PM

I think Hillary is more like Barabas.

The mob (super delegates) may shout to release Hillary as the Dem nominee and crucify Obama (Jesus)

BTW, anyone checked out the DU thread about “plan Jericho” of destroying the convention arena in Denver by radical Obama supporters if Hillary somehow weasels into the nomination?

Now that would rock. 1968 all over again. OFF THE PIGS!!1

docweasel on March 22, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Doug on March 22, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Yes, you’re correct. Thanks.

labrat on March 23, 2008 at 12:45 AM

Obama Richardson? I thought the Lord wanted to win.

ronsfi on March 23, 2008 at 4:12 AM

Let’s get a close-up of that finger. Hitlery’s reaction appears to indicate that she has seen the same type of finger pointed in her face before, and Obama had better not do it agian.

Because looking at ‘Wild Bill’s’ famous finger it appears to have been broken several times.

MSGTAS on March 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM

If we’re looking for Biblical comparisons for Bill Richardson, how about Saint Peter? Not only has he denied Hillary, he also decided to step out of the boat during a storm.

But Richardson forgot that neither he nor Obama can walk on water. Blub, blub!

Steve Z on March 24, 2008 at 9:30 AM