A Century in Iraq, if it works right: Obama adviser

posted at 7:00 am on March 22, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday I noted the accusation of McCarthyism against Bill Clinton by Barack Obama military adviser Gen. Tony McPeak. The former Air Force Chief of Staff has a history of interesting statements, including a couple at the beginning of the war both McPeak and Obama oppose. In an interview with the Oregonian, posted here but confirmed by me through its purchase from the archives, McPeak essentially makes the exact same argument that John McCain makes about staying in Iraq — and which Obama ridicules:

Is Iraq the last country we confront in the Middle East?

Who wants to volunteer to get cross-ways with us? We’ll be there a century, hopefully. If it works right.

Isn’t this the exact argument McCain has made repeatedly, and which Obama derides as “a hundred-years war”? Of course it is. The interview makes repeated references to American presences in Germany, Japan, and South Korea as models of the engagement McPeak envisioned in 2003, exactly as McCain has explained it in 2007 and 2008. McCain and McPeak both argue for a big footprint in the Middle East for a very long time in order to protect American interests and to overawe the other nations there into behaving themselves.

This should raise some eyebrows on the Obama campaign’s willful deception on this point. Didn’t McPeak bother to explain to Obama the exact same reasoning he had in March 2003, at the start of the war? Did Obama not bother to listen? Or did Obama just decide to demagogue on McCain’s point while gaining credibility by associating himself with a military adviser that publicly endorsed the exact policy as McCain?

Is that “new politics”? (via HA commenter BNelson)

Update: No, this isn’t sarcasm or out of context. Here’s the rest of the answer to that question:

I’ll tell you one thing we should not hope for (is) a democratic Iraq. When I hear the president talking about democracy, the last thing we should want is an election in Iraq. We’re not very popular. So I don’t think we’ll see any open elections in Iraq for a long time.

Hopefully over time they can be brought along like Japan and Germany — Japan and Germany were relatively easy, I think, and South Korea.

He meant exactly the same thing as McCain. What’s more, he underestimates democracy. He wanted the Bush administration to install a military dictator with whom we could work in order to establish our Middle East footprint.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Here we go with the “your service gets more money than mine” bullshit.

Listen, I make the same money a Navy E-7 does. I pay for my uniforms just like he does – perhaps the Navy could save a bit of money and get rid of eight or nine thousand of their uniform combinations, but us non-coms don’t make that call see :) Seriously, I don’t begrudge the Navy their uniforms, just like the Marines, they are awesome. I’m still wearing my BDU’s because I refuse to wear that blue and gray tiger striped monstrosity the AF just went to.

Oh and have you heard a formation of AF troops walking with the new AF PT uniform pants on? I have flashbacks to high school and the legions or those who wore parachute pants for chrissakes!

If your having bake sales to pay for stuff, perhaps the Navy has a few of it’s own McPeaks in hiding screwing up your business. I was law enforcement by trade. I’ll bet your swabby cops never had a civilian tell you that you should give a perp you just busted a customer service card to guage the “quality of service” you provided him as you read him his rights? I did. And the sumbitch did it with a straight face too. THAT was one of McPeaks little contributions to the service.

And no, I am not a “typical zumi” who is afraid of anyone different than I in the mold of our favorite Messiah’s gramma.

Though you Navy guys do use a LOT of white in your uniforms…

catmman on March 23, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Don’t you worry about that now Gringo as Juan and I plan on moving all 120 million of our brothers and sisters here from Mexico and in a couple og generations there will be about a billion of us. We will protect you lazy Gringos from those Muslims.

VinyFoxy on March 22, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Viny, if your serious, why don’t you start fixing your own house first, then you can start working on ours……..

Oh, you want Prevailing Wage?

Forget it, I’ll get the the New Illegals, esse…

Oh? Didn’t think about that, typical Racist…….

Or was it:

- Diana West (Jewish World Review March 21, 2008)

Exit question: Diana West is brilliant, so why aren’t her columns linked to here?

MB4 on March 22, 2008 at 2:22 PM

MB4′s total ignorance of the advesary we are fighting is pathetic……..

Keep posting fool, you make me laugh, if I were not crying…….

Seven Percent Solution on March 23, 2008 at 1:08 AM

Just remember, Barack Obama will say just about anything for any reason. For instance, the Palestinians according to Atlas Shrugs are torqued because he does a few things for Israel when Obama’s mouthed support for the Pali cause.

Problem is, mouth movement isn’t all Obama has done for the jihadis. In fact, Atlas Shrugs reports serious links between Obama and Rhashid Khalidi. Rhashid Khalidi is a Former PLO operative currently teaching at Columbia U and invited Iranian President Ahmedinejad to visit Columbia University after he finished his speech at the United Nations. More intel at the latter link.

HotAirJosef on March 23, 2008 at 1:54 AM

Wind Rider on March 22, 2008 at 8:30 AM

Well said, Windrider. LOL at the airline pilot uniforms…ah, memories.

Yeah, he was pretty much despised by everyone back then. No surprise he turned out to be a stinkin’ Obamatard (and for Hanoi John in ’04, too!).

bamapachyderm on March 23, 2008 at 2:42 AM

And despite McPeak retiring (there is a God!) in 1994, he is still remembered, and used as a slur EVEN BY THOSE WHO WERE NOT IN THE AIR FORCE IN 1994!!! I hear it at least once a month.

GTFO! That’s hilarious!

STG, y’all are making me nostalgic. Not for McPuke and …

Quality Air Force! Metrics, Powerpoint, all those civilian consultants the AF hired out to give us all of those training classes on cutomer service?

Remeber updating your monthly (sometimes weekly) customer survey slides?

How about the QAFE? Remeber how we had to go through ORI’s, NRI’s, etc, and then had our “Quality” inspections?

Not nostalgic for that BS. GAWD. I thought I had permanently suppressed those traumatic memories.

Let’s have a meeting to talk about meetings! Quality! Meetings! Metrics! F**k work, we’ve got meetings and slides to finish!

Now I remember why I was so happy to get out when I did. ;)

bamapachyderm on March 23, 2008 at 2:51 AM

catmman on March 23, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Wasnt talking about the average zoomie, I was talking about your big projects, the fact that the airforce spends 33% more on every base and is always over budget.

I am glad you zoomies are IAing with the Navy. Even if your deployments are half as long and you get ridiculous bonuses to go over there.

Happy Easter, Flyboy :)

Squid Shark on March 23, 2008 at 8:13 AM

Folks, there is something you should keep in mind while reading this McPeak *itch session. Military politics can be just as nasty as Presidential politics when you get to the Staff level and beyond.

There are toes that have been stepped on, arms twisted, egos bruised, opinions dissed and just downright dirty, rotten, nasty kicking of joyas de la familia, if you get my drift?

So while I have never known or served under the good General McPeak, I might suggest a certain amount of calm discretionary thought before arbitrarily painting the “idiot horns” on his head. It would appear from the comments here; he was a stickler for administrative detail? If he was on the wrong side of occupying Iraq for a century in 2003 at least he didn’t say the Iranian Shiites weren’t supporting Sunni al-Qaeda last week.

Another issue that must be considered is; more then two or three of these fine folks are rather vitriolic, consummate political partisans. Dissing General McPeak, indirectly disses Senator Obama. Never forget that!

I have noted before, that this board has not been hesitant to use the ad hominine attack on occasions when their reasoning was a bit thin or they lacked more cogent, legitimate, defining arguments as some postings here have illustrated.

Always remember this. The only thing harder than being a soldier is loving one as the folded flag is presented…

J_Gocht on March 23, 2008 at 8:32 AM

OK, gotta represent: Unless the Navy is deploying to the sandbox for two year hitches, I don’t know where you get the “Half as long” stuff. Most of the people I know, including me spend 6-9 months on each deployment. About a third of the folks in my career field volunteer for twelve month deployments. Now there are times when some AF deployments are as little as four months (mostly medical folks), but the average for the AF is 6 months. I will admit it’s not as long as the Army or Marines, but it is the AF, not the Army or the Marines after all. And let’s not forget the Navy is supposed to stay gone, on the Ocean and what not – though we do have Navy folks where I am stationed now, a carrier battle group wouldn’t be very functional in San Antonio…context is important.

And to be completely honest I never was one who was really keen on hotbunking or spending more than five minutes on a boat I couldn’t fish from, so at least for me, the Navy wasn’t an option. :)

Back in the day (before Desert Storm and before the drawdowns of the early 90′s), MOST AF deployments WERE relatively short 1-3 months but those days are long gone.

As far as bonuses for deploying? WTF are you talking about? I must have missed those. They get hazardous duty pay, and combat bonuses if they qualify, but for deploying? That is simply not true.

Now to put this thread back on semi-track:

Military politics is a bitch. I’ve seen it and experienced it first hand for 21 years.

But McPeaks stupidity went beyond simple politics.

J Gotcht, if I hadn’t lived and experienced McPeaks crap firsthand, I would say the same thing you did. However HAVING lived through it, I don’t need any kind of discretionay thought thank you very much.

And I know dissing McPeak is dissing Obama. McPeak was and is a moron and his choice by Obama as an advisor speaks to the idiocy of him as well as McPeak.

I think that is the whole point.

I think your trying to couch McPeaks genuine stupidity and ruinous job as AF COS and wrapping it in the flag is lame as well. No one dishonors the fact he served.

The fact that the capping achievement of his career was dragging my proud service into the mud is the problem.

catmman on March 23, 2008 at 7:23 PM

“Dissing McPeak indirectly disses Senator Obama”, and your point is what exactly? A retired General Officer who is trying to help elect the boy wonder to the Presidency should be dissed, his bonehead leadership while AF COS notwithstanding…

Nozzle on March 23, 2008 at 9:41 PM

MB4’s total ignorance of the advesary we are fighting is pathetic……..

Keep posting fool, you make me laugh, if I were not crying…….

Seven Percent Solution on March 23, 2008 at 1:08 AM

That’s what you resort to when you’re losing the debate — name-calling and ad hominem attacks.
- Michelle Malkin

That means you, Bunny.

MB4 on March 24, 2008 at 12:59 AM

This guy makes me embarrassed to admit I served in the AF. Most of his career IMO was spent “up and locked”…anal cranial inversion. I kinda surprised he endorses Obama instead of the Hildabeast since he had his head so far up her husbands rear he had to wait for him to burp to see where he was going.

Bob the RhinoKeeper on March 24, 2008 at 9:02 AM

J_Gocht on March 23, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Um, J_Gocht, it’s not ad hominem if it’s the truth.

And every other AF person: remember when we (the enlisteds) had to add our stripes back on our BDUs because officers were tired of saluting us?!?! ;)

And Squid-boy: All good goshing, but in all my 22 years of service, I’ve spent about 10 (not including deployments) serving with Navy and Army guys and one thing they NEVER complained about was the $$ we AF guys spend on our bases. In fact, all I ever hear is kudos for our billeting, base housing, and gyms.

And the AF’s days of “short” deployments are gone. And if we were supposed to get some sort of special pay for those deployments, then I’ve got several hundred days of deployment pay awaiting me somewhere. And hold on a minute…don’t you Navy guys get Sea Pay? How’s that not special pay? ;)
Cheers,

mjtyson on March 24, 2008 at 11:48 AM

“mjtyson on March 24, 2008 at 11:48 AM”
“it’s not ad hominem if it’s the truth…”

mjtyson, You; dear sir or madam can say any damn thing you please!

My thought was; you can say anything you please about persons, places , things or aliens that rows your boat, under any circumstance!

Where I draw the line is… when posters make personal disparaging remarks concerning other individual’s comments on the present blog or other entries on this or different outside boards.

Send mail if you require clarification.

Thank you for your service! Other’s have not served.

J_Gocht on March 24, 2008 at 8:15 PM

“mjtyson on March 24, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Mon apologies…!

My thought was; you can say anything you please about persons, places, things or aliens that rows your boat, [or fly’s your plane] under any circumstance!

J_Gocht on March 24, 2008 at 8:28 PM

or swims gee damn fins…!
or jumps your gee damn air!
Nuff said…!
Hoooaaah!

J_Gocht on March 24, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Forget the tit for tat. This is a perfect illustration that the DNC is just as corrupt as the Main Stream Media (MSM).

Travis1 on April 27, 2008 at 3:34 PM