Video: The patient’s been impaled by an RPG, doctor — oh, and it’s live

posted at 4:30 pm on March 20, 2008 by Allahpundit

Synthesize the essence of Jesse Macbeth and you’ll have the precise diametrical opposite of the three guys in this clip.

Unforgettable, but not to be viewed if you’re squeamish about operating-room video. No foolin’, guys. Strong content warning. Click the image to watch.

Update: Oops, it’s old. How come I’ve gotten three separate e-mails about it today? Did Fark pick it up?

live-rpg.jpg

Comments

This is so old even, Ace wouldn’t post it:

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/246453.php (oh wait, he did!)

But it’s still a great story.

lorien1973 on March 20, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Can’t get the video to work.

BacaDog on March 20, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Oldie, but goodie.

amerpundit on March 20, 2008 at 4:34 PM

It may be old, but it is certainly appropriate with the Veterans against the Iraq war strutting around this week.

davod on March 20, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Old, but this is the first time the story was accompanied by the surgeon who appears to be, what? 20 years old? lol!

Blake on March 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM

No matter how old it is (or gets), it’s still an amazing story.

The humble doctor’s great. Can we make him surgeon general?

emailnuevo on March 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM

I actually saw a story of one of our guys having this happen and having the round going off afterward- and he lived! (the officer rushing to his aid did not. though) The shaped charged nature and his body armor saved him. Naturally, he was very seriously injured, but still had all limbs. It was a part of a story of our seriously injured troops on a rafting trip!

I bet such stories mess with a jihadi’s head: “We can’t even kill them with s direct RPG hit!” Ya, Akbar; even Allah knows not to mess with our troops. You need to learn.

michaelo on March 20, 2008 at 4:40 PM

I was one of the three e-mailers. I clicked on it after watching the singing Marine stick it to the Dixie Chicks. Sorry about the date, Allah. I found the sub-story timely given all the talk about the new Obama Era of post-racial America. Come to think of it, since the video IS old, it’s more timely truth that others have established that era — these guys established it.

laelaps on March 20, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Wow.

Vizzini on March 20, 2008 at 4:41 PM

I’d found this one on Military.com this morning, too. Good stuff.

desertdweller on March 20, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I was just telling my husband about this story the other night. Now I don’t have to go look for it. Thanks, AllahP.

KelliD on March 20, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Amazing.

Geronimo on March 20, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Oops, meant militarytimes.com

desertdweller on March 20, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Code Black.

BohicaTwentyTwo on March 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM

I hadn’t seen it before, thank you for posting. Nice to see him holding his baby.

JustTruth101 on March 20, 2008 at 4:55 PM

“This is so old even, Ace wouldn’t post it:

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/246453.php (oh wait, he did!)

lorien1973 on March 20, 2008 at 4:33 PM”

Now THAT is funny!

Seven Percent Solution on March 20, 2008 at 4:56 PM

No matter how old it is (or gets), it’s still an amazing story.

The humble doctor’s great. Can we make him surgeon general?

emailnuevo on March 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Yes, it is still an amazing story.

How can the people of this country produce such men, but continue to put some of this countries worst scumbags into elected offices?

Helloyawl on March 20, 2008 at 4:59 PM

These stories never get old.

billy on March 20, 2008 at 5:00 PM

It was on the same page of videos that the earlier video of the country song blasting the Dixie Chicks was on. In essence its your own dang fault :)

Sloane Reality on March 20, 2008 at 5:02 PM

This happened once in the Vietnam war, in the late 60′s. And the man whom was South Vietnamese also lived.

AMartinez on March 20, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Helloyawl on March 20, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Because very few in the military are in it for the pork.

eeyore on March 20, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Wow, as well.

That little clip has more emotional power and dignity than all the Hollywood anti-US films and all the Jeremiah Wright sermons put together.

PattyJ on March 20, 2008 at 5:04 PM

“These stories never get old.

billy on March 20, 2008 at 5:00 PM”

Dittos…….

Seven Percent Solution on March 20, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Wow, that was unbelievable. Great story!

Never saw that one before.

Vigilante on March 20, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Ya know, PattyJ, I suspect Rev. Wright would be pretty upset at this guy’s attitude.

eeyore on March 20, 2008 at 5:12 PM

A timeless story of selfless acts of courage. When it happened is irrelevant. Feel proud to retell the story again months and years from now.

geckomon on March 20, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Bonafide, real-world heros.

They represent the best of America, in many ways.

Makes me proud, but a little ashamed I’m not doing more.

May God bless them and their families.

This story, and other like it, should be streamed to every computer. Then launched as part of the boot process.

Perfesser on March 20, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Helloyawl on March 20, 2008 at 4:59 PM

These soldiers didn’t go looking for honor and prestige, it came to them. That’s the difference.

geckomon on March 20, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Would you like to be operated on a guy named Major Oh?

corona on March 20, 2008 at 6:00 PM

(by)

corona on March 20, 2008 at 6:00 PM

corona on March 20, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Why not? It’s a common last name in Korea ( not as common as Lee and they aren’t really ‘last names’, but……….

In the context of this video, the ‘joke’ ain’t funny

Janos Hunyadi on March 20, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Well, I hadn’t seen it. Crazy video. It wouldn’t seem like a person could survive that.

Esthier on March 20, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Major John Oh. Hero and all around humble man.

Received the Soldier’s Medal for this. Highest honor for valor not under combat.

Which seems goofy cause the man was facing an unexploded RPG to save a soldier’s life, which he did.

daveintexas on March 20, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Didn’t Bryan post this story before?
I mean, it’s a great story and should never be forgotten.

Kini on March 20, 2008 at 6:23 PM

I did a while back, but I’m a nobody. Story about his medal.

Cool thing though, I met him back when he was a Capt. Nice guy.

daveintexas on March 20, 2008 at 6:29 PM

I don’t think it was live. The explosive warhead broke off and it was the tail which lodged into the soldier.

Shy Guy on March 20, 2008 at 6:36 PM

The detonator was still in the tail of the RPG.

desertdweller on March 20, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Good post Allah. It is always uplifting to hear of the heroism of our troops.

Zorro on March 20, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Not too old to be worth watching again.

bdfaith on March 20, 2008 at 6:59 PM

One of the BEST videos from this war I have EVER seen.

TroubledMonkey on March 20, 2008 at 7:16 PM

This is the first time that I had seen this video. For myself I am glad that I viewed it at this time due to the Obama/Wright fiasco that is dominating the news. Soldiers of Asian and European descent putting their lives on the line to save the life of a soldier of African descent. It reminded me once again that one of the most important lessons that I learned during my stint in the Army is that the color of one’s skin means nothing. What means everything is how well you and everyone in your platoon is going to watch each others back and be there no matter what. This lesson has served me well the last 25 years. It is too bad that the liberals in this country have never truly learned this lesson.

dawgyear on March 20, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Maybe someone should send a copy of this to Michelle Obama.

Over30 on March 20, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Wow.

I’m glad you posted it; I’d never seen it. Outstanding.

Tanya on March 20, 2008 at 8:15 PM

I had heard of this before, but the video was exceptional. Look at how many people risked life and limb to save this man. His unit members, the helicopter crew, and that magnificant medical team. Look at how many people are around the operating table. Not suprising to anyone who has served and know the quality of 99.9% of those people.

Thanks, I saved the video link to my favorites and now have a succinct reply for criticisms of the U.S. military.

Hog Wild on March 20, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Thanks AP,

I must be of a different generation, unless I misunderstood that this was a mere year ago. At my age a year flies by.

It doesn’t matter if I misunderstood. What matters is that I’d not seen this vid before and I am so very grateful for our “Knights in Shining Armor”, all of them!

YankeeinCA on March 20, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Doogie!!!!!

slp on March 20, 2008 at 11:13 PM

These stories never get old.

billy on March 20, 2008 at 5:00 PM

I was reading that this is “so old” and I don’t know what that means. Same war, right? This story will never be old. Thanks, AP. God bless them all.

Allah

Truer word were never spoken.

Jaibones on March 21, 2008 at 7:37 AM

Spc. Moss should run for POTUS. He is one bad ass mofo. The terrorist scumbags COULDN’T EVEN TAKE HIM OUT WITH A FRIGGIN’ RPG!!! Oh (no pun intended), Maj. Oh has the biggest balls of steel as any dude on the planet.

Thank you, Spc. Moss.