Republicans to be prosecuted in Ohio for crossing over to affect Democratic primary?

posted at 1:41 pm on March 20, 2008 by Allahpundit

Any constitutional lawyers want to explain how making schoolkids swear loyalty to the United States violates the First Amendment but not making adult voters swear loyalty to their new party?

The Cuyahoga County Board of Elections has launched an investigation that could lead to criminal charges against voters who maliciously switched parties for the March 4 presidential primary.

Elections workers will look for evidence that voters lied when they signed affidavits pledging allegiance to their new party…

After the election, some local Republicans admitted they changed parties only to influence which Democrat would face presumed Republican nominee John McCain in November. One voter scribbled the following addendum to his pledge as a new Democrat: “For one day only.”

Such an admission amounts to voter fraud, said [board member Sandy] McNair, who pushed for the investigation…

Lying on the signed statement is a fifth-degree felony, punishable by six to 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine.

Here’s the statute, although the mechanics are convoluted so you’re better off reading Wired’s analysis. Essentially, you’re only in trouble if you perjure yourself by signing an affidavit affirming your new loyalty — but the affidavits are supposed to be demanded as a matter of course and if you refuse to sign you only get a provisional ballot. Exit question: Should we expect any bipartisan outrage over this like we saw when the Virginia GOP toyed with the idea of a loyalty oath for their own primary? Or are we playing by Obama rules here, where ordinary political sins are absolved if it benefits the left to do so?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Next they will roll out the conspiracy statutes. Rush call your attorneys.Their out to get you.

meci on March 20, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Show me someone on the Left who plays by the rules fairly, and engages in thoughtful, reasoned political discourse, and I’ll show you a closeted Conservative.

Democrats [and their Loyalty oath]: the new Muslims?

Wanderlust on March 20, 2008 at 7:19 PM

NOT ONE LINK TO RUSH’S WEBSITE?!

You don’t like Rush, you are always reticent to give him credit for anything, including his drive for Republican crossover votes to Hillary.

But you sure like showing Rush’s face on your blog to increase hits don’t you?

You don’t even want to admit – by mention – that you found out about this story through listening to Rush!

What is about you week kneed Repubs that you cannot admit the truth?

Complete and utter bullshit!

Yeah, yeah, you’re favorite irritation agent here. How have you been doing Allah Pundit?

Mcguyver on March 20, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Headline should have read…

Republican to be prosecuted for smuggling perscription drugs into Florida on his personal plane with four of his best male buds!

J_Gocht on March 20, 2008 at 7:44 PM

You are such an idiot, J_Gocht!

Mcguyver on March 20, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Prosecution is laughable.

Hog Wild on March 20, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Prosecution is laughable.

Hog Wild on March 20, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Hog Wild…
Which one?

J_Gocht on March 20, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Witch hunt by a losing party, the DNC.

madmonkphotog on March 20, 2008 at 9:05 PM

“Challenged” voter?

I ain’t no stinking Challenged voter
I have voted in Ohio since Jimmy Carter and have NEVER been asked to sign an affidavid. I regularly switch parties and really belong to neither.

The pool worker says “what ballot do you want today?” and I answer.

Seems totally un-Constitutional that in an election being paid for by MY TAX DOLLARS, that I can’t vote for who I want to.
And it’s none of their damn business who I vote for either.

Chuck on March 20, 2008 at 9:08 PM

You are such an idiot, J_Gocht!

Mcguyver on March 20, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Mcguyver…olde boy!
Remember…Paper, Rock, and Scissors…?

Courteous discourse always covers “writing’s on restroom walls”…!

J_Gocht on March 20, 2008 at 9:10 PM

J_Gocht on March 20, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Everytime I end up in court I plead guilty and pay the fine. I would love someone to come at me with something like this.

Prosecute me because I signed a uneforcable document to swear allegiance to the Democratic Party? That right there show’s you how ignorant the Democratic Party thinks the American public is.

Hog Wild on March 20, 2008 at 9:40 PM

My Cuyahoga County household – with only registered Republicans – received 2 calls from the Obama campaign that said “Democrats, Republicans and independents” could vote for Obama! The calls did not mention you had to become a Democrat. If I received those calls, I’ll bet a lot of the 16,000 did too.

Isn’t registering as a Democrat punishment enough for these people? Think of the shame they must feel.

Hammertime on March 20, 2008 at 11:11 PM

What a lib-tard. Good luck trying to get the police and District Attorney to follow through on that one. I’m sure the District Attorney would just love to get a couple hundred more felony cases. I have to believe that law enforcement has better things to do then go after Republicans for being Republicans. I’m going to wait until someone actually gets indicted before I get outraged. I’m not holding my breath.

bigbeas on March 20, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Have these people forgotten how the left tried to defeat Bush in 2000 and 2004 with “vote trading”? Funny, I don’t remember any lawsuits then? Ref: http://www.alternet.org/election04/19870/

Dollayo on March 20, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Headline should have read…

J_Gocht on March 20, 2008 at 7:44 PM

And why would you be sniveling?

I don’t recall ANYONE on the left complaining about teams of lawyers running around Floriduh during the 2000 election doing anything they could to throw out absentee ballots of deployed military members.

That was the general election, not some primary circus.

I don’t recall ANYONE on the left complaining about the massive fraud committed by ACORN all over the US.

To you and the rest of the whining left, tough $H!t!

91Veteran on March 21, 2008 at 12:34 AM

Ooooh. Would I love to see it?

You betcha!

Bring it on. They haven’t a hair on their Marxist backsides to push a prosecution.

Oh, but wouldn’t I love to see the nation watch it if they’re stupid enough to do it.

Saltysam on March 21, 2008 at 1:14 AM

“…For years, Republicans have literally made a federal case of voter fraud. The Bush Justice Department fired U.S. attorneys who would not prosecute cases of people who GOP politicos believed were impersonating voters to help Democratic candidates….”

Gosh…is this fun or what?

J_Gocht on March 21, 2008 at 9:41 AM

“You must pledge party loyalty”

– Karl Marx, acting Chairman of the Democratic Party.

drjohn on March 25, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Headline should have read…

J_Gocht on March 20, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Jealousy will get you nowhere. You wish you had the same access to those drugs!

drjohn on March 25, 2008 at 7:08 PM