Report: Navy SEAL Michael Monsoor to receive Medal of Honor

posted at 9:50 am on March 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

The name may not ring a bell but if you’re a blog reader you’ve heard of him. So valorous were his actions that even a media not inclined to celebrate the heroism of U.S. troops noticed his death when it happened. What kind of man are we talking about here? He won the Silver Star for pulling a comrade to safety in May 2006; four months later he was on a roof in Ramadi with three other SEALs when an insurgent tossed a grenade up. It bounced off his chest and dropped to the floor in front of them. “He never took his eye off the grenade, his only movement was down toward it,” said one of the three. His family will be at the White House on April 8 to receive the recognition due.

Comments

Real hero. God bless.

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 9:52 AM

With tears in my eyes!!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on March 18, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Wrenching. Truely, the good die young.

ronsfi on March 18, 2008 at 9:55 AM

Real tears. For a real hero. Godspeed.

Sue on March 18, 2008 at 9:58 AM

“We cannot win.” -Hellary

Compare and contrast.

Akzed on March 18, 2008 at 9:59 AM

The world is a better place for having him the short time we did.

God bless his family and all those who loved him.

silenced majority on March 18, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Cool, it’s working now, first time I got a blank page.

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Thank you and RIP Mr. Monsoor, a true American hero.

MarkABinVA on March 18, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Sorry, but the media did NOT notice his death and if you Google him you will only find a couple of articles about the fact he is getting the MOH by local CA papers. Google does not consider military.com the media and does not list its articles in the news section.

JeffinSac on March 18, 2008 at 10:07 AM

RIP, Petty Officer 2nd Class Monsoor. May we be worthy of your sacrifice.

rbj on March 18, 2008 at 10:07 AM

God Speed. Bless him and his family.

Torch on March 18, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Mr. Monsoor is the very definition of Hero.

saltydogg14 on March 18, 2008 at 10:11 AM

*salutes*

Yakko77 on March 18, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Why don’t we hear more in the MSM about men like MIchael Monsoor instead of vermin like Eliot Spitzer?

MrLynn on March 18, 2008 at 10:13 AM

“No Greater Love…” I am humbled. God Bless him, and his family.

/gotta find that box of tissues.

dish on March 18, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Thank you for this link.

It is important to not view our nation or our people the way the Obamas see America, but to understand that there is an America worth our lives, and an American so great I am not worthy to stand in his shadow.

entagor on March 18, 2008 at 10:24 AM

At 3:55 Iraqi soldiers are saluting him. That says it all. This man gave his life for his friends, not for oil, not for empire, but for the freedom of the oppressed and so that we here at home can go to Starbuck’s or take our kids to Chuckie Cheese and not worry about being killed in a carbomb attack. God bless you Micheal, it’s because of people like you that the rest of us live in peace and freedom.

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM

MrLynn on March 18, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Because they don’t want us to win.

His is an inspiring story and (to me) the definition of a great American. R.I.P., and God bless his family.

emailnuevo on March 18, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for another

Rest in Peace.

alilianstrom on March 18, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Dear God… I lost it watching that memorial video.

Tears of pride that such men lived who so selflessly served our country with honor and bravery yet tears of sadness that such men are lost.

Yakko77 on March 18, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Someone once said, “Heroes aren’t made, they’re born.”

This young man is just one more to prove that. God bless him and his family.

Kowboy on March 18, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Another of our very best taken from us… but now surrounded by the light and love of God Almighty.

D2Boston on March 18, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM

that pretty much sums it up for me as well. Those of us with kids may want to tell them about this real hero today.

alilianstrom on March 18, 2008 at 10:30 AM

CHANGE Maybe Hollywood could make a movie about a “Normal” hero.

TroubledMonkey on March 18, 2008 at 10:37 AM

My hero and my son’s hero.
Rest in Peace BROTHER

vinllo on March 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I’m all for giving credit where credit is due and these guys who go above and beyond to save their comrades at the cost of their own lives is truly amazing…

We’ve had how many years of war in Afghanistan and Iraq and they can’t find /one/ guy who did amazing things and lived to tell the tale? Where’s Sergeant York when you need him for a good PR campaign?

Vatican Watcher on March 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I can’t watch. I don’t want to start weeping at work. I started to tear up just reading the blurb.

AP, you bastard…

urbancenturion on March 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM

“We’ve had how many years of war in Afghanistan and Iraq and they can’t find /one/ guy who did amazing things and lived to tell the tale?” -V.W.

Read “Lone Survivor” by Navy SeAL Marcus Luttrell.

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I get teary reading the citation…

Vatican Watcher on March 18, 2008 at 10:47 AM

“Maybe Hollywood could make a movie about a “Normal” hero”. – TroubledMonkey

Last I heard, “Lone Survivor” is being considered for a movie. I hope they don’t screw it up.

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Maybe Hollywood could make a movie about a “Normal” hero.

TroubledMonkey on March 18, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Nope.

Their idea of a hero are kids not returning to duty when called like in the upcoming movie “Stoploss”.

Yakko77 on March 18, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Read “Lone Survivor” by Navy SeAL Marcus Luttrell.

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I mean someone who’s living who would qualify for a Medal of Honor. Am I incorrect in my recollection that all the MoHs given out so far have been posthumously?

Vatican Watcher on March 18, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Hard to listen to anything Obama has to say when you read about men like this.
My family just recently buried our father in the Veterans Memorial Cemetery. He was a Coast Guard/Navy veteran of WWII. As I watched this video I remembered standing among all of the graves of the brave during the flag ceremony for my father and thinking, thank God for these. Thank God for America. God Bless America.
While Obama was sitting and nodding while his pastor was damning America for twenty years men like Michael Monsoor were standing for America.
Obama does not deserve to be the Commander in Chief of men like Navy SEAL Michael Monsoor.
Prayers for the family. We will not forget. God Bless the family. God Bless America.

sheriff246 on March 18, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Everytime I hear a story like this I tear up. I am so proud of our military and this country. Michael Monsoor is a true Hero. He did one of the most selfless things a person could do.

I am so sick of our troops being called murderers. After watching this video I’m going to go out and find an anti-military liberal to punch in the face.

Erockk on March 18, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Here I sit at my computer, enjoying the fruits of the work of Monsoor and his brothers, completely at a loss of words for their sacrifice. I am edified today. RIP, noble warrior.

INFDL on March 18, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Vatican Watcher are you not aware of the National Heroes Tour?

Just A Grunt on March 18, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Vatican Watcher on March 18, 2008 at 10:58 AM

You are correct. For whatever reason the criteria for winning that award now seems to include losing ones life. Matt Burden over at Blackfive has written about this very subject. We have plenty of service members whose actions are indeed worthy of the MOH, and sometimes the process for awarding the medal takes some time, but there are plenty of living members who are worthy of receiving the award. In a different day and different time they would have probably already been awarded it. It is but another burden that our service members accept as a fact of life. Medals are not something you set out to earn. Respect is, and it is far better to have respect then a chest full of medals.
It is time to put the previous Greatest Generation behind us and start honoring the current Greatest Generation. A group made up not of draftees but volunteers each and every one.

Just A Grunt on March 18, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Thank you for the link. I have not heard of that tour before. Alas, they are coming somewhere close to me, but it’s only two weeks from now. I’ll have to email up there and find out about accommodations I’d need…

Just A Grunt on March 18, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Exactly. Your point about respect being earned is a great one and I totally agree with it. Your comments about the MoH criteria are quite valid and I wonder at that.

Vatican Watcher on March 18, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Am I incorrect in my recollection that all the MoHs given out so far have been posthumously? – Vatican Watcher

I believe so. And I’m pretty sure Luttrell’s boss, Mike Murphy (R.I.P.) has earned the M.o.H. too.

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Truly the bravest of the brave, may God bless him and his family.

4shoes on March 18, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Hail to him, and the wonderful family who raised him with these values in his mind!!! Should be broadcast on a Jumbotron in the House and Senate. Also live on a Jumbotron in Berkeley, and recorded on a loop and played over, and over, and over.

pueblo1032 on March 18, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Grunt, I’ll be at the Vets for Freedom rally in D.C. on Tuesday, April 9th. I hope to meet some fellow HotHeads there.

Marcus Luttrell is gonna be there, as well as David Bellavia who wrote “House to House” and Marco Martinez who wrote “Hard Corps”.

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 11:29 AM

I seem to remember that Latrell was nominated for the MOH, but was actually awarded the Silver Star.

If that video touches you at all, Lone Survivor is a must read. For a great summary, see http://therightstate.com/2007/10/21/lone-survivor-a-must-read/

EconomicNeocon on March 18, 2008 at 11:31 AM

A debt I can’t repay, a gift I can’t be worthy of, a sacrifice I am forever grateful for, from a hero I never knew.

Is there a memorial fund for this man where I can pay my respects?

Dollayo on March 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Just A Grunt on March 18, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I agree, these troops fighting for us now, some so young, deserve to be honored and respected. These anti-war cowards need to be put in their places and silenced. By silenced, I mean no media coverage whatsoever. The ones who break the law should be thrown in jail, not have their wrists slapped.

4shoes on March 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM

I cried my eyes out reading Lone Survivor. That was the first time a book has ever made me cry. I can’t wait for the movie to come out. It will be a great addition to my DVD collection.

Erockk on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Do you have more info on it? Can non-Vets attend?

4shoes on March 18, 2008 at 11:37 AM

“Am I incorrect in my recollection that all the MoHs given out so far have been posthumously?”

For some reason, it takes an inordinately long time for a MOH to be given to a living service member.

I was at the Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington, for the Marine Corps sunset parade (every Tues. during the summer) three or four years back, and the Marines awarded a MOH to a Navy Corpsman – Vietnam era.

It took 30 years.

Interesting fact – ALL service members must salute a MOH winner, when he wears that medal. Even if the salutee outranks the bearer.

God Bless and keep Petty Officer Monsoor.

NoDonkey on March 18, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Thank you for my freedom…….. Rest in Peace and God Speed.

Seven Percent Solution on March 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM

4shoes, just got to vetsforfreedom.com, they have all the info there. I can’t wait meet these guys and get my books autographed!

Put “Hard Corps” on your must read list, it’s just as good as “Lone”.

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Other great books on Iraq and Afghanistan…

One Bullet Away

Ambush Alley

Hogs in the Shadows

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 12:17 PM

An American Hero of the highest degree

charlie36r on March 18, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Sailor, rest your oar…

Well done, Petty Officer…mission complete! Stand down, secure your weapon, and enjoy your liberty. Go to God knowing our thanks go with you.

grumpy_old_soldier on March 18, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Thank you for the info. I’ll look up the books too.

4shoes on March 18, 2008 at 12:37 PM

A great American. It’s people like Michael Monsoor that have helped make America what it is. RIP

SoulGlo on March 18, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Dollayo on March 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Well said, sir

Ditto!

God’s blessings on the Monsoor family!

FloridaBill on March 18, 2008 at 12:43 PM

It’s painful to see a story about a Medal of Honor recipient, because it means that a true hero is dead. All you can do is respect their service and honor their sacrifice.

BadgerHawk on March 18, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Thank you Michael Monsoor for laying your life down in service for our country.

ColtsFan on March 18, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Too many tears now. Comment to follow.

Zorro on March 18, 2008 at 12:50 PM

RIP, hero. Thanks for everything.

(I couldn’t help but notice that the two links are to military.com and the Marine Corps Times, respectively. Why should the story of such a great man exist in a vacuum? WHy does the dinosaur media shrug their jaded shoulders at real heroes and move on to the next perverted sex scandal?)

joewm315 on March 18, 2008 at 1:07 PM

One of America’s finest.

knob on March 18, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Yo! Terrorists! When we die due to an explosive next to our chest, it’s to save people, not kill them. That is a kind of bravery you’ll never know and a selflessness your religion apparently doesn’t teach.

Kafir on March 18, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Mansoor was a man. In the old meaning of the word; may God bless his soul and comfort his family.

Try to picture someone like Bill Clinton or John Edwards displaying such gallantry…yeah – I can’t either.

Lunkinator on March 18, 2008 at 1:16 PM

4shoes, I’m sorry, I forgot to answer your question, no you don’t have to be a vet to go. I hope to see ya there!

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Tony… becareful with vets for freedom. I have serious issue with them in my State right now. I have respect if they are vets, but for those who are not and are screaming and handling out flyers that are anti-military when recruiters are at my schools.

They are different in every state.. trust me.

upinak on March 18, 2008 at 1:36 PM

UpInAk … infil-traitors? Thanks for the info.

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 1:38 PM

if you want some good info on good pro-military organizations, email me @ cmahnken2003@yahoo.com

I can hook you up.

upinak on March 18, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Thanks UpIn!

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Snippet from Vets for Freedom…

“It has never been more important to ensure our fellow Americans understand what is happening in Iraq and Afghanistan. The surge is working, and political and economic progress is occurring; yet mainstream media is failing to tell the story. Our Tour will highlight local veterans and inform your community, local lawmakers, and media about the incredible bravery and sacrifice of our troops, and the progress our Soldiers and Marines are achieving.”

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 1:55 PM

They are different in every state.. trust me.

upinak on March 18, 2008 at 1:36 PM

I think that is probably Vote Vets or the IVAW, unless another organization has stolen the Vets for Freedom name. The real Vets for Freedom is made up of real veterans and is very pro-military and pro-victory.

joewm315 on March 18, 2008 at 1:58 PM

From VetsforFreedom.org

What: Vets on the Hill: Vets for Freedom will hold America’s single largest gathering of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans. Participants will gather for a rally and media event and meet with their representatives to express their first hand experiences and explain why it is essential to complete the mission in Iraq and Afghanistan

When: 9:30am-11am Tuesday, April 8th

Where: Upper Senate Park

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 2:05 PM

joewm315 on March 18, 2008 at 1:58 PM

but they can not discriminate due to their 501c3 status and will allow those who are not veterans to join. It isn’t like I don’t know what I am talking about.

If they President found out, unless they are not under a nation wide umbrella policy, they could POSSIBLY lose their 501c3 status. If it is a State that has it, they may lose their status as well.

Anyone who has a 501c3 status, who is a volunteer ONLY organization, can not do anything political unless they are doing it as an individual AND not under the guise of the 501c3 organization.

upinak on March 18, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Tony I hope that helps out. I gave you a BUNCH of information.

upinak on March 18, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Hell ya, as deserving as any who ever received it!

Old Tanker on March 18, 2008 at 2:49 PM

They are different in every state.. trust me.

upinak on March 18, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Is it the same group? Or another with the same or a similar name?

4shoes on March 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Tony737 on March 18, 2008 at 1:22 PM

I may have to get a babysitter, but I’d like to be there!

4shoes on March 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM

4shoes on March 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM

I do not follow vets for freedom at all. My own reasons as I have stated.

upinak on March 18, 2008 at 3:39 PM

He is definantly a true American hero. I went to Garden Grove High School with Michael and i played on the basketball team with his older brother. His medal of honor is well deserved and he will never be forgotten.

jjcarrillo on March 18, 2008 at 6:03 PM

GOD BLESS YOU Michael…

build the wall on March 18, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Hero is not an overstatement here. Such a selfless act.

Hog Wild on March 18, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Thank you, a true American hero. RIP Michael Monsoor.

xplodeit on March 19, 2008 at 12:04 AM

It isn’t like I don’t know what I am talking about.
upinak on March 18, 2008 at 2:09 PM

You do not know what you’re talking about. Your original point was that Vets for Freedom is handing out anti-military literature on college campi. The Vets for Freedom led by David Bellavia, a man who is in for a Medal of Honor and the author of “House to House”, would never condone such an activity, therefore anyone doing such a thing does so without the blessing of the group. That is totally contrary to the mission statement of Vets for Freedom.
I encourage people to support Vets for Freedom (full disclosure: I am a member and have donated) despite upinak’s incoherent ramblings.

joewm315 on March 19, 2008 at 2:32 AM