Open thread: Obama speech aims to save America, his own ass; Update: Transcript added; Update: Sullivan swoons

posted at 10:08 am on March 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

10:15 ET on all the cable nets and livestreaming on their websites so you have no excuse. If you thought Hewitt’s praise of Romney’s religion speech was embarrassingly effusive, wait until this love bomb detonates over Nutrootsville. I’d ask you who you think is apt to embarrass himself with the most squeamishly lyrical praise — the competition is stiff, after all — but we all know who it’ll be so let’s just wait for him to deliver. He’s already gone to the trouble of declaring preemptively that if the speech fails it proves that a Black Man Can’t Be President in America. Or at least, not one who looks the other way at hate for 20 years because it’s politically convenient for him to do so.

As noted yesterday, it appears the chosen one will be relying on the cherry-picking defense, which didn’t help Hagee with Andrew Sullivan (nor should it have) but should prove plenty persuasive for a reality-based community caught between Hillary and a wounded, discredited Obama as their nominee. Ed and I are going to try to liveblog this thing; stay tuned for video.

Update: If it gets boring, watch this instead.

Update: Drudge has the transcript.

Update: No matter how prepared for it you think you are, you aren’t. Excitable Andy never disappoints. Good lord.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

He cringed at his grandmothers racial epithets. I didn’t hear him mention cringing at Wrights racist and anti-American remarks.

ctmom on March 18, 2008 at 11:45 AM

touche’

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Regarding Barack’s grandmother. She is alive and living in Hawaii. He threw her under the bus, but he did not sully his Kenyan granfather’s reputation by mentioning this detail:

Both Dunhams [Barack's grandparents] were upset when their daughter Ann married Barack Obama Senior, particularly after receiving a long, angry letter from the graduate student’s father in Kenya who “didn’t want the Obama blood sullied by a white woman.” [5]. But the Dunhams adapted. Madelyn Dunham was quoted as saying, “I am a little dubious of the things that people from foreign countries tell me.”[6].

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM

She might be. Last year she was Muslim, this year she’s a long-time devout Christian. Seriously.

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM

We were talking about his maternal grandmother, but that link about his Kenyan grandmother is amazing. Hadn’t read that. Thanks. Can you imagine having told her to change her story if asked and deny she’s a Muslim. That is beyond the pale. This guy is an amazing piece of work.

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM

I didn’t agree with it, but I think he probably scored some points with the general public, since he seemed equally willing to critizice blacks and whites, and he referred back to popular themes from his campaign.

Jezla on March 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM

NuclearPhysicist on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

We’re not only talking about “divisive” comments, though. He said we deserved 9/11 and we created AIDS. Saying it’s not likely better in another Black church is a poor excuse for only now disowning Wright’s remarks over the past 20 years.

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM

We grew up with blacks burning the cities and rioting, “burn baby, burn” chants. Blacks forced whites to stay away but pay. We attended integrated schools and churches and live in integrated neighborhoods. Blacks aren’t the only ones who live economically challenged lives. My spouse was the only white student at a new Austin black highschool back in the day and had to survive living on crackers and ketchup many a time. We look right through Obama and see the whole cloth politician for what he is and is not.

maverick muse on March 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Chris Matthews will outshine anybody else in his worship of the Obama speech. I promise that tonight he will going batty with love and affection for his Messiah. I would bet that if he felt a tingling sensation up his legs when he heard a routine Obama speech last week, think where all that energy will end up today. I doub’t that can be shown on daytime television.

Larraby on March 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM

This guy is full of more crap than a Christmas turkey. I was born dirt poor…

rplat on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Your Christmas turkey was full of crap? Now that’s poor.

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Prediction: Church leaders all across the nation organize “The Two Million Unity March.”

Connie on March 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM

From the link:

I love this country. I don’t remember loving it or hoping more from it than today.

For the first time, Sullivan is proud of our country too. It’s a miracle!

lorien1973 on March 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Shocka. Positive reaction from his followers.

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

What are they going to say right away?

Total Fail.. and “Make news”? NO way.. WTH..

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM

I thought it was a pretty good speech and likely stemmed to flow of blood.

Having said that, he’s really damaged himself and puts a larger number of super delegates in play. He is less strong when making the argument that he squares up better in the general election.

For the first time, the downside risks associated with nominating Obama are more evident.

If only 10% of the democratic labor vote peeled away, that’s huge. Is this blow up late enough in the process that he can slide under the wire? I don’t know the answer, but if Clinton can win big going forward it is going to be very interesting.

If Obama does not get the nomination, what will the Obama folks do? Might we see riots?…could be, but this will only fracture the party even further…

moxie_neanderthal on March 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM

I can no more disown [Reverend Wright] than I can my white grandmother – a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.
-Barack Obama

Great- throw GRANDMA under the bus after she spent a lifetime working and slaving for your dumb as*, in order to JUSTIFY your racist, hate-baiting church!
I DON’T EVEN BELIEVE THAT GRANDMA EVER SAID THAT!

Ex-tex on March 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM

If we expect him to disown all Black Christian churches that have experienced such divisive comments by their Pastors from the pulpit, his options for going to church might be somewhat limited.

We expect nothing. This is exactly what the Clintons wanted to hear. They wanted Obama to create a massive cluster “F” inside the black community. This just so happens to be Obama’s strongest voting bloc.

Marginalize the black support for Obama and a new route to the nomination emerges.

gabriel sutherland on March 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Obama fuddled. He pressed too hard by blaming whitey. He pretended to draw a circle, but actually drew a line and crossed it. Ha

maverick muse on March 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM

In a nutshell.

Dubn8tr on March 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Good lord, indeed. I feel dirty for looking in on his views on the speech. Seems like he needs some alone time.

Vizzini on March 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM

This guy is full of more crap than a Christmas turkey. I was born dirt poor…

rplat on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

You had crap?

JetBoy on March 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Chris Matthews will outshine anybody else in his worship of the Obama speech.

Larraby on March 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM

After that speech Matthews is going to have to smoke a cigarette and take a cold shower before he can appear in public.

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM

mikeyboss & Connie – What browser are you using? Could be a FireFox issue. I didn’t try it on IE.

skoot65 on March 18, 2008 at 11:45 AM

I was on IE. Problem was I came in late and was trying to catch up by reading the earlier posts. But each new post brought me down to the bottom.

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM

stenwin77 on March 18, 2008 at 10:32 AM

I thought that too when I read it. White and slavery – two words he’s avoided pretty well until now. I think that since the cat has been let out of the bag, we’ll see it more.

Stevel on March 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Thanks for that info. I think she should be interviewed.

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM

My Christmas turkey was filled with relish and mustard. And oh, it wasn’t made of turkey, but bread. White bread.

Am I racist because I passed on the rye?

JohnTant on March 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM

This guy is full of more crap than a Christmas turkey.

rplat on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Don’t. Want. To. Know.

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:52 AM

If you missed it, speech is here: http://www.pearlharbor.org/speeches/obama-more-perfect-union-2008-03-18/

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Waiting for Clinton to file a complaint with the senate ethics committee over the Rezko real estate deal.

moxie_neanderthal on March 18, 2008 at 11:52 AM

The only contact Barack Obama is qualified to have with the government is with Child Protective Services, who should be investigating why he took his kids to a radical black separatist church.

RushBaby on March 18, 2008 at 11:52 AM

This guy is full of more crap than a Christmas turkey. I was born dirt poor…

rplat on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

You had crap?

JetBoy on March 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Luxury…

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 11:53 AM

I haven’t read all the comments, but did anybody else notice how in the beginning he said that he *had* been in the congregation during some of the controversial sermons.

How is this not a complete reversal and an admission of a gasp…..lie?

dvldog1142 on March 18, 2008 at 11:53 AM

thanks for the link to victor davis article, am reading it now.

hotdax on March 18, 2008 at 11:53 AM

I’m a little surprised that Brit’s initial review of the speech was so unequivocally positive. I’m thinking he’ll likely introduce some serious qualifications in his commentary later today.

petefrt on March 18, 2008 at 11:54 AM

This guy is full of more crap than a Christmas turkey. I was born dirt poor…

rplat on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

You had crap?

JetBoy on March 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Luxury…

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 11:53 AM

We dreamed of having crap in the turkey…

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Didn’t hear it. Are we saved?

drjohn on March 18, 2008 at 11:55 AM

I wasn’t keeping track of this, but reading Sullivan’s gushings, it looks like he gave a great speech.

Now the media are going to love him even more, and watch as the Wright story disappears like it never happened.

WisCon on March 18, 2008 at 11:55 AM

I thought he did a great job under the circumstances. His numbers will go up and reach a net gain.

Well done. I have to give credit where credit is due.

saiga on March 18, 2008 at 11:56 AM

someone should ask Sullivan if he’d support anyone who has been a member of Westboro Baptist under Rev. Phelps for 20 years for President? Because that is basically what he is doing.

jp on March 18, 2008 at 11:57 AM

ameripundit:

I think all of those types of remarks fall under the category of “divisive” and, when he began running for President, he did publish a statement that distanced himself from Wright’s past remarks. If I had to disown all of my current friends who occasionally made loony, divisive comments when caught up in the passion of the moment, I wouldn’t have many friends. When it comes to reasons for me not voting for Obama, there are many to be found. This simply isn’t one of them.

NuclearPhysicist on March 18, 2008 at 11:57 AM

lol @ sullivan. good grief.

Midas on March 18, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Didn’t hear it. Are we saved?

drjohn on March 18, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Yes, my child. The Messiah has thrown his grandma under the bus healed all of us angered over his moral guidance counselor’s remarks.

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:57 AM

WisCon on March 18, 2008 at 11:55 AM

It will disappear in the media, but not in the minds of Dem. male non-black voters. Barry knows this. That’s why he gave the speech. The media could have killed it without the speech.

They’ll say he was swiftboated.

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 11:58 AM

I’m surprised. I think this speech kills him in the general. He has managed to go from the “post-racial” candidate to the “black” candidate and will likely lose a good portion of independents in the process.

Anecdotally, I have now talked to two Hillary supporters who say they will probably vote for McCain if Obama is the candidate. Given the fact that Hillary and Obama are almost identical on the issues, I’ve got to think that this means that they are far from comfortable with Obama’s character and personality.

Priscilla on March 18, 2008 at 11:58 AM

ctmom on March 18, 2008 at 11:45 AM

He and his wife embraced them. That why they remained active, generous members of his flock.

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2008 at 11:58 AM

OBAMA SPEECH IN FULL: A MORE PERFECT UNION
Tuesday, March 18th, 2008/ 10:17:53 ET
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 11:58 AM

although, I suppose Sullivan got practice with this type of political candidate with his support of ron paul…he’s conditioned.

jp on March 18, 2008 at 11:59 AM

We dreamed of having crap in the turkey…

Only the rich kids were allowed to dream where I grew up.

Matticus Finch on March 18, 2008 at 11:59 AM

WisCon on March 18, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Obama could’ve gone up there with Wright, repeated his controversial statements, and told America to go f*ck itself. And Andy Sullivan would’ve still been gushing over it.

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Was Obama broadcast in stereo?

To make sure both side of his mouth were equally represented?

profitsbeard on March 18, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Save me, Barack! Redeem us all!

The_Freeze on March 18, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Priscilla on March 18, 2008 at 11:58 AM

‘zactly. He should have made a brief statement, released a press statement, or had one of his stooges make a statement.

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Bill Clinton once said that everything bad in America can be rectified by what is good in America. He was right – and Obama takes that to a new level. And does it with the deepest darkest wound in this country’s history.

~ Andi Sullivan, the last true conservative.

Blacksheep on March 18, 2008 at 12:00 PM

I DON’T EVEN BELIEVE THAT GRANDMA EVER SAID THAT!

Ex-tex on March 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM

I don’t either. It’s likely that it’s more biographical fiction, learned at the foot of the master – Hillary Clinton.

Thanks for that info. I think she should be interviewed.

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM

I do too, but I doubt it will happen. It would be picking on an elderly woman who has been hiding from the shame of her racist past and trying to live the rest of her life in anonymity.

/S.

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 12:00 PM

How is this not a complete reversal and an admission of a gasp…..lie?

dvldog1142 on March 18, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Yep. But don’t worry about that part. Just focus on how you oppress people, mmmkay?

Matticus Finch on March 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM

I have already condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy. For some, nagging questions remain. Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely – just as I’m sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.

IS he not telling truth now, or then? He said that never listened to hate filled remarks before.

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Commenter at Ace’s:

Heard black guy call into the radio. He says: Obama helped himself and hurt the country. You don’t heal the country by dragging up the civil war and picking at old scabs. We want to move past that. Why did he have to insult Reagan?

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Does anyone know what specific “controversial” comments Obama has heard or known about that Wright has made? Has he ever mentioned what those specific comments were? Has anyone in the media asked him to identify specific comments? I haven’t heard him address anything specific yet.

gumble on March 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Juan Williams still criticizing him. Says he didn’t take responsibility for staying in Wright’s flock.

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Obama got up to give a speech…yada, yada, yada…he’s still a left-wing socialist.

someguy on March 18, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Part of the beauty when race doesn’t matter is forgetting the color of skin, or whatever else there is to judge and just existing together. If you’ve been involved in sports, the military, a cop or fireman, you know what I mean. That person and you are in it together, and they will cover your back, and you love that guy like a brother.

Obama is a spoiled White kid that wants to be an oppressed Black man in order to get elected. He is the true opposite of racial harmony, and is willing to deny part of himself in order to commit fraud. Perfect Democrat.

Yes, Obama, White folks like your grandmother love people of darker skin. Too bad that road doesn’t run both ways in your screwed up family.

Hening on March 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Why did he have to insult Reagan?

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Good point. He has been accused of loving Reagan too much in the past.

At times he almost seemed to be killing too many birds with this one stone.

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I was born dirt poor and worked my way out of it and I’m sick and tired of all these whiners casting blame on society. I owe no one, and if the rest of society is dissatisfied with their lot then they need to try and change it . . . but stay out of my face.

rplat on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Ditto from another guy who worked his way out of being dirt poor.

txsurveyor on March 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Did Drudge say that about the Reagan coalition (the welfare and affirmative action line) or did Obama? If it was Obama, he’s toast. He won’t win a single blue collar state.

OBAMA SPEECH IN FULL: A MORE PERFECT UNION
Tuesday, March 18th, 2008/ 10:17:53 ET
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 11:58 AM

I could believe that Drudge would say/type it though as I believe he’s a total douchebag.

funky chicken on March 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Hmmmm…. interesting

bnelson44 on March 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Juan isn’t happy with Obama. And he’s right. Why wait twenty years to publicly denounce him?

Why didn’t Obama do this when he was a state senator or U.S. Senator?

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 12:05 PM

…all he has done is condemn America as a racist country and use that as a justification for being part of a racists church. What a load of crap!!

Bikerken on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Strong point.

Juan Williams, commenting now on FNC, is a lot more critical of the speech that was Brit. Juan notes Obama failed to take responsibility for his own behavior/judgmnent and questions how much Obama actually helped himself with it.

petefrt on March 18, 2008 at 12:05 PM

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM

I use Firefox.

Connie on March 18, 2008 at 12:06 PM

I’ve just been watching the coverage on MSNBC and oh my god, they are saying this was the new, “I’ve got a dream” speech by MLK. What are they drinking in their coffee mugs? MLK was always focusing on the future and pushing the dream of a race blind society. Obama is using the past as an excuse for racism and hatred. What a moron!

Bikerken on March 18, 2008 at 12:06 PM

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 12:05 PM

These are the questions that the media should won’t ask.

WisCon on March 18, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Andy’s goeing to need a cigarette after that one.

ronsfi on March 18, 2008 at 12:07 PM

What Obama failed (again) to do was to explain what his plan is to absolve these “precieved injustices” other than the implied responsiblity of the government. Translation: More government-dependency-welfare programs that tie the hands of the “oppressed”.

Rovin on March 18, 2008 at 11:44 AM

At this point in the candidacy, he doesn’t have to, and probably shouldn’t for the sake of his continued viability, explain beyond “more gubmint”. Rhe DemocRATic Party is, after all, the party of Hugh Gubmint.

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 12:08 PM

From the link:

For the first time, Sullivan is proud of our country too. It’s a miracle!

lorien1973 on March 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Yeah really, lets see how fast it fades should Obama somehow lose this thing. Pathetic, although I admit, that’s at least one bright side of an Obama presidency to hear something other than horror and paranoia about the US from it’s liberal members.

Now it will be “Remember last month when Bush was president and everything was wrong with this country? OMG things are SOOO much better now! Obama is amazing!”

Dash on March 18, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Hening on March 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM

bravo

funky chicken on March 18, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Excitable Andy never disappoints.

I thought that Hugh Hewitt’s response to Romney’s speech was fawning to the point of ridiculousness. Sully has just moved the goalposts so far that Hugh’s post could now be taken as mildly critical of Romney.

Physics Geek on March 18, 2008 at 12:09 PM

What a bunch of crap. According to Obama, it’s not Rev. Wright’s fault, it’s America’s fault. And throwing your own Grandmother under the bus? Come on, man.

SoulGlo on March 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I feel like Obama threw whitey under the bus.

Connie on March 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM

More from Wiki on Barry’s grandmother, in his own words:

In his book, Obama described his grandmother as “suspicious of overwrought sentiments or overblown claims, content with common sense.

Gosh, who does that description remind you of?

As for interviews:

…Today Obama’s grandmother continues to live in what CBS News has described as the same “non-descript highrise” in Honolulu, Hawaii where she raised Barack Obama (then known as “Barry”), with the same telephone number now as then.[10]. Although Barack Obama’s paternal step-grandmother Sarah Obama has given a number of recent interviews, Madelyn Dunham’s last interview was in 2004, on the occasion of Barack Obama’s keynote address to the 2004 Democratic National Convention.[11][12] “I am not giving any interviews,” Madelyn Dunham told a reporter who phoned in March 2008. “I am in poor health.” [13]

She must be feeling particularly poorly today.

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM

funky chicken on March 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM

It’s in Obama’s speech…

Like the anger within the black community, these resentments aren’t always expressed in polite company. But they have helped shape the political landscape for at least a generation. Anger over welfare and affirmative action helped forge the Reagan Coalition. Politicians routinely exploited fears of crime for their own electoral ends. Talk show hosts and conservative commentators built entire careers unmasking bogus claims of racism while dismissing legitimate discussions of racial injustice and inequality as mere political correctness or reverse racism.

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Personal responsibility?

If someone can find it, please direct me to where the Black community has some responsibility for the dysfunction in inner cities… many with Black mayors and Black administrations for many years.

Otherwise what is he prescribing apart from the same old liberal ideas to make things better? I have not seen any evidence of his “moving to the center” on anything important.

Still-A-Neocon

stillaneocon on March 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Juan Williams seems to be having more frequent attacks of sanity lately… might need to go away to rehab to get his head right again…

bofh on March 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM

I use Firefox.

Connie on March 18, 2008 at 12:06 PM

That’s the default behavior of CoverItLive. To turn that AutoScroll off next time, you should click on the second button to the right of the CoverItLive logo on the bottom so that it shows the international not symbol over it.

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM

since he seemed equally willing to critizice blacks and whites

Last time I viewed the video the rev wright was black and all the people saying right on and amen were black. In my church on Sunday we talked about love and faith and compassion.

peacenprosperity on March 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Woops, I didn’t mean to highlight the “common sense” part^^:-)

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM

As for Sullivan — could he be a bit more doe-eyed over this guy? He should start wearing rainbows colors…

black campbell on March 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I just read the transcript, didn’t see it live, but it seems to me that this is about as good a response as he could have give to what seems like a mortal wound to his candidacy. He had to address it right now, and get it out of the way if he could, rather than let it fester like Kerry did with the Swiftboat issue. Now the MSM can claim that he’s addressed it and move along back to running down the economy and the War. I just am not sure whether there was any conceivable way for him to really unbake this cake.

Dudley Smith on March 18, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Obama just issued a stirring defense on righteous racial grounds for every follower of David Duke. Duke, according to Obama, has legitimate points of grievance, and his followers are understandably resentful of our current racial climate.

Brilliant!

Jaibones on March 18, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Oh the humanity! Boil and bubble toil and trouble…Hillary is having a meeting with her staff. What’s next. Time to release the October surprise in March?

wepeople on March 18, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Anger over welfare and affirmative action helped forge the Reagan Coalition.

Are these some of the good ideas he recently gave Reagan credit for?

Akzed on March 18, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Excitable Andy never disappoints.

It’s been a long time since I saw someone use the word “nuanced” non-ironically.

Well, we know that Mrs Obama and their reverend don’t believe that. We should just trust on faith that Obama himself does?

Tanya on March 18, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Once upon a time, just before JFK was assassinated, we were invited for Sunday dinner with an older black couple in Washington DC, her husband was the minister. They were the kindest and most generous people to our family.

Here in Central Texas is a fantastic black gospel congregation of Austin Catholics that have a wonderful touring choir! They were generous enough to come out without recompense and celebrate for the wealthy Lakeway congregation’s opening of a new sanctuary with their beautiful gift of music, spirit and love. I have to chuckle because those visitors had so much more than the rich folk.

Not all black churches are like Obama’s. I was disappointed to find that Obama’s still exist in number today–talk about hanging on to hate TOO LONG. We all have to get over ourselves, period. A bad tree can not put forth good fruit. No sense pruning or fertilizing or spreading the poison. We know the truth, and for those with ears to hear, the truth sets free. Obama belongs to Wright whether he buries Wright alive, tars and feathers Wright, or lynches him with dismissal, rejection and forced retirement. Obama knows how to close doors on those closest to his heart. He’s just keeping on keeping on what has brought him “success”.

As per his wife planning to remain with their children in Chicago should Obama be elected POTUS, the proof is in the pudding as to WHO THE SEGREGATIONAL RACIST IS.

maverick muse on March 18, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM

You stole my thunder. He backed away from his categorical statement that he never heard these statements and if he had, he would have quit the church.

Now he admits to having heard them and he still hasn’t quit the Church or disowned Wright.

That tells me all I need to know.

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Thanks. That was really annoying, but it’s a good idea overall.

Tanya on March 18, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Wasn’t this the same man who said he never heard Wright make his incindiary remarks while attending that church?

Anyway, the speech was inspirational in its way, and I’m sure Hillary wishes she had a speech writer like that. I could see why Obama has such charismatic appeal. He says what any decent person wants to hear about healing racial divisions in this country. And, of course, it appealed to those liberals who think that government can create heaven on earth. But the question is, did Obama pick that church and pastor because he was committed to healing racial divides? Or was it because, to further his political career, he needed to be associated with a community power center? Obama seemed to be saying that his church is all inclusive, harboring everything from saints to nazis, and that such diversity is normal in the black community. But why didn’t he, to demonstrate that he believes in Christian virtues, associate with a pastor who actually preached love and forgiveness? Surely there must be churches like that even in the poorest black neighborhoods. Maybe the press should look at the speeches Obama made when running for local office and see if they reflected the latest Obama or whether they parroted the Rev. Wright. And if Wright was like a father to him, did Obama ever tell Wright to his face that his racist views are appalling? So much of what Obama said was platitudes and his words never really got to the core of his association with Wright.

But it was astonishing to hear him remark about the racial remarks his white grandmother made and his reaction to it. That bit of personal history and his willingness to reveal it at the expense of his grandmother, more than anything, illuminated who Barrack really is.

NNtrancer on March 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM

black campbell on March 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Oy gevalt.

Tanya on March 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM

I want a big baggie full of whatever it is Sullivan’s smoking. Then I can pull out the Zig-Zags and roll me a fat bomber full of Hope.

MrScribbler on March 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM

It’s in Obama’s speech…

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM

OK, I’m gonna make a crazy prediction, but I think Hillary has a serious shot at winning North Carolina. They have had the Duke non-rape case, and now have the UNC super-striver student body president murder. I don’t think there’s a whole lot of folks still wallowing in that white liberal guilt stew….or perhaps just not enough folks like that.

funky chicken on March 18, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Reagan Coalition formed by a bunch of bigots! >:D

Forget the Evil Empire, and Inflation and all that..

BIGOTS!!!!!!!!

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 12:17 PM

This guy is full of more crap than a Christmas turkey. I was born dirt poor…

rplat on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

You had crap?

JetBoy on March 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Luxury…

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Flashback

LimeyGeek on March 18, 2008 at 12:18 PM

After Obama finished his speech, he said he had felt the hand of God entrancing world leaders as he delivered the speech.

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 12:19 PM

John McCain was foot soldier in the Reagan Revolution, he needs to Reject Ronald Reagan! LMAO!

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 12:20 PM