Open thread: Obama speech aims to save America, his own ass; Update: Transcript added; Update: Sullivan swoons

posted at 10:08 am on March 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

10:15 ET on all the cable nets and livestreaming on their websites so you have no excuse. If you thought Hewitt’s praise of Romney’s religion speech was embarrassingly effusive, wait until this love bomb detonates over Nutrootsville. I’d ask you who you think is apt to embarrass himself with the most squeamishly lyrical praise — the competition is stiff, after all — but we all know who it’ll be so let’s just wait for him to deliver. He’s already gone to the trouble of declaring preemptively that if the speech fails it proves that a Black Man Can’t Be President in America. Or at least, not one who looks the other way at hate for 20 years because it’s politically convenient for him to do so.

As noted yesterday, it appears the chosen one will be relying on the cherry-picking defense, which didn’t help Hagee with Andrew Sullivan (nor should it have) but should prove plenty persuasive for a reality-based community caught between Hillary and a wounded, discredited Obama as their nominee. Ed and I are going to try to liveblog this thing; stay tuned for video.

Update: If it gets boring, watch this instead.

Update: Drudge has the transcript.

Update: No matter how prepared for it you think you are, you aren’t. Excitable Andy never disappoints. Good lord.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Everyone sing:
power to the people!
power to the people, right on!

pass me the dubbie (i won’t inhale).

hotdax on March 18, 2008 at 11:28 AM

What a giant load of platitudinal horse manure.

fogw on March 18, 2008 at 11:28 AM

BO, you had me at Hello.

/sarc

silenced majority on March 18, 2008 at 11:28 AM

What the hell is he talking about?

j0 on March 18, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Ok, anyone know how many times he mentions the word race?

j0 on March 18, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Played the drinking game on that word. I am just about pickled.

txsurveyor on March 18, 2008 at 11:28 AM

A curious disconnect. What isn’t clicking with starry-eyed crusdaers is that ~ with the demise of the traditional pension system in this country ~ where you once had only a paycheck to tie you to your particular employers, NOW your 401K/mutual fund/retirement account depends on capitalism (read: big corporations) to prosper.

They don’t realize you can’t rise up against “the man”…when you are become him by virtue of your investments. That blow to an evil, soul-less multinational boomerangs right back into your average 30-50 year old’s portfolio.

tree hugging sister on March 18, 2008 at 11:28 AM

thatcher on March 18, 2008 at 11:23 AM

They will fall for the surface content, and not realize that what they’ve just heard is old crap in a new bag.

Nothing is Osama Obama’s fault. We’re all wrong, but he’ll save us.

MrScribbler on March 18, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Apparently, the racial healing has ended and we are back in full campaign mode..

RobertCSampson on March 18, 2008 at 11:28 AM

That’s when Ashley decided that it was the job of the government to provide for her and everyone in the whole wide world.

geckomon on March 18, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Mustard and relish sandwiches.

Homer says ………. MMMMMMMmmmmmm.

fogw on March 18, 2008 at 11:29 AM

This speech was an absolute insult to every American.

stenwin77 on March 18, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Not to the Marxists.

Connie on March 18, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Steve Z on March 18, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Yes. But they didn’t throw them into a “lion’s den,” they tossed them into the Colosseum. “Lion’s den” is a pretty darn specific term referring to Daniel’s experience.

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 11:29 AM

How does an ivy league graduate complain that people like him can’t get an education without a government handout?

wrath187 on March 18, 2008 at 11:29 AM

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother – a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.

These people are a part of me. And they are a part of America, this country that I love.

So Rev. Wright and his racist grandmother is part of America that he loves.

JeffinSac on March 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM

This speech was a mistake.

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM

millions of kids eating mustard and relish sandwiches??

WTF?

ArmyAunt on March 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM

This speech is going on a lot longer than I expected. He’s going off on tangent after tangent. Isn’t there some kind of “equal time” clause? This is nothing more than a campaign speech.

JetBoy on March 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Anyone else lose the audio? All my stations have.

IrishEi on March 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM

So what we need is more affirmative action. That’s how I read it. But what would I know, I’m just a fat, old white man. It is evident that Obama believes what Writght says and believes, he hust wold have said it differently. He is appaled that it was said the way it was and broadcast to his voting public before the tally was in.

He is only making it more clear, he is dishonest, his campaign is a fraud, and he thinks his white gradmother is a racist.

4Bear on March 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Cankles is somewhere laughing her @– off.

Dubn8tr on March 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Of course she is, Clinton wanted this battle line to be drawn. Obama comes out looking like a racist for his support of Jeremiah Wright. It’s payback time for Ferraro!

highhopes on March 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM

He’s still compelled to label the characters in his story according to their skin color.

geckomon on March 18, 2008 at 11:31 AM

That was a sickening speech.

j0 on March 18, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Go Hillary!! he-he-he!

kcd on March 18, 2008 at 11:31 AM

At best this die hard Marxist retained his cult following.

rplat on March 18, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Well it may be a good speech for the left – but they already believe in this. For moderates – I don’t think so.

It’s the same speech that Sharpton or Jackson would give, but without the black preacher inflection. He says it with a ivy-league education and presentation.

I believe, I believe

hotdax on March 18, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Okay, who has the exit question?

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

What gall. His explanations is to say that white folks are racists too? That’s his explanation of being a part of a black racists radical church for 20 years? He has only confirmed to me what I always know about him.
There is a real good explanation of why Obama doesn’t know about his pastors teachings. HE IS LYING! If you read his own books, he expresses many of the same feelings that his pastor does. He was always associating with radicals like the Weatherman, Black Panthers, and Marxists when on campus and he has never deviated from that. When he decided to get into politics, he was immediately seen as a strong prospect for high office because he could speak well. He literally was pushed into office in Illinois when the republican opponent fell to a sex scandal, (at exactly the right moment). Baracks church has always been radically racial and anti-American. Why do you think he doesn’t hold his hand over his heart and wear an American flag lapel pin? And he has always known it, that is why he chose it. Now he is trying to distance himself from it because he knows that no white man is going to vote for someone with the same background as a Black Panther. HE IS A FRAUD!
When people have called his campaign and asked about reparations, they hang up the phone. They don’t want to talk about it. Also, his church welcomes muslims. Why, you ask? Because their religion is not Christianity, it is hatred of white people and the advancement of colored people, fairness and humanity be damned. Why else would any self respecting muslim even go into a Christian church? It is against their religion. They wouldn’t do this unless that religion were welcomed there.
Barack Hussein Obama is a black radical who has been part of a black racist church for twenty years and is covering it up to get into the White House. And you can be sure that his agenda would be extreme and anti-white.
I have just watched the mans entire speech and all he has done is condemn America as a racist country and use that as a justification for being part of a racists church. What a load of crap!!

Bikerken on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Was there a invitation to make a contribution to the campaign?

d1carter on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Obama’s old man is here for Ashley?
Ashley the whore?
Health care benefits for whores?

maverick muse on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I, for one, love mustard & relish sandwiches. Ketchup sandwiches too, or just straight ketchup. Just about any condiment will do. Except horseradish.

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

What a giant load of platitudinal horse manure.

fogw on March 18, 2008 at 11:28 AM

But its so… beautiful. My leg tingles… ooooooooo

Zetterson on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

He just saved his campaign

bnelson44 on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I’m satisfied now.

I got my hollow chocolate bunny for Easter.

fogw on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I read along and listened at the same time and I don’t think he helped himself much in any way.

Afterimage on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

If he wins – no more affirmative action. How could there be racism if a black man has been elected president.

THIS JOB IS HARD!!

hotdax on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Exit Question: Is Obama worse off or better off, haven given this speech?

kcd on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

B HUSSEIN Obama makes me sick. He and his hatemonger pastor need to go away.

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on March 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM

He was trying to re-frame the debate. He was attempting define the controversy in his terms.

He failed.

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Hmmmm… Soon as the speech is over now my directTV works, it just turned on..

Someone get me some tinfoil.. >:D

I was going to record it.. LOL

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM

It was a very good speech, and he probably “moved on” but what he is now is just another liberal.

Typhoon on March 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Of course Obama’s speech is ineffective among HA commenters, but it’s a slam dunk for Obama’s intended audience – the Democrats. They will LOVE it. I’m sure many are weeping as I type this.

Redhead Infidel on March 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM

He failed.

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM

I don’t think so. I think he succeeded. We will see in the next few days which one of us is correct.

bnelson44 on March 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM

One must always remember he is a good talker, (silver tounged devil in my opinion) but not sure good talking is going to cause this issue to die? It will be intersting to watch his poll numbers.

Rockman44 on March 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Obama fuddled. He pressed too hard by blaming whitey. He pretended to draw a circle, but actually drew a line and crossed it. Ha

maverick muse on March 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM

This speech will go over very well with Dem primary voters. He is hitting all their buttons.

thatcher on March 18, 2008 at 11:23 AM

That strikes me too. He’s preaching to the choir, with the same ole leftist racial politics he says he wants to transcend. He’s probably helping himself in the coming primaries. But this speech raises as many questions as it answers, and does little to win the confidence of moderates and swing voters who’ll be voting in November.

petefrt on March 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM

The Mustard and relish sandwich – the successor to the baloney sandwich.

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM

millions of kids eating mustard and relish sandwiches??

WTF?

ArmyAunt on March 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM

The savage white man deprived them of the hot dog! Oh the horror!

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Yes Typhoon, he may have moved on but this story hasn’t. It just took on new dimensions. There was enough ammunition in there to keep it alive until November.

Oldnuke on March 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Typhoon on March 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM

What was good about it?

Connie on March 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM

A Laura Ingraham caller said Obama is full of guile.

maverick muse on March 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM

maverick muse on March 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I like that. And agree.

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

I think he just sewed up the Democrat nomination. But in doing so he just threw the moderates and Republicans under the bus. But he doesn’t care, he’ll now guilt trip the moderate whites for being closet racists (you know you are) which should spin off enough from McCain to win.

Skywise on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

bnelson44 on March 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I think he pleased those already in his camp and under his spell. I don’t think the speech helped him with white independents and Republican crossovers.

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Smoke and mirrors. He hasn’t addressed the UCC focus on Africa as home base, specifics such as the AIDs comments, or the congregation’s enthusiasm for anti-Americanism. Hard left clap trap dressed up as a talk on race.

a capella on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Good move. When you’re guilty and you have no reasonable explanation, talk about anything else.

But he is helping me transcend the racial divide now that I know what a racist Obama’s white grandmother was. Maybe he should have told us more stories about slavery. Don’t forget the founders were hypocrites.

snaggletoothie on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

I bet he won’t be getting a birthday savings bond from his grandmother this year…..

JohnTant on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

I doubt this speech will help him in the general election. The damage has already been done with the independent white swing voters. Twenty years of history trumps any back peddling he is doing now.

wrath187 on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

He just saved his campaign

bnelson44 on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

At least until the primaries end, which is all I ask from the ‘Rats. May there be a spectacular floor fight at the convention.

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

I can’t wait to vote and be healed.

ninjapirate on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

I listen to the beginning of the speech on XMRadio my DirectTV was “broken”, The beginning was a stinker and I was disgusted by it and stopped listening to it.

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Pete, yes, it’s a short term fix for a long term problem. This actually sounds a lot like a John Edwards speech with race thrown into the mix. The Dem primary voters will love it.

thatcher on March 18, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Yeah, I heard his speech but what is he going to do about the Rev Wright?

d1carter on March 18, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Still won’t vote for him, but I have to admit he did a good job there.

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 11:37 AM

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

We will have to see how the polling goes at the end of this week.

bnelson44 on March 18, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Think this guy will make a good president? It took him this long to address this Wright issue; he has been preparing and practicing this speech since Friday.

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM

And the Left’s orgasmic response begins.

I was wrong: Barack Obama is the man for our time

No one else can say what Obama just said and get away with it. What an unbelievable speech.

I was wrong, He didn’t hide from the real issues. He hit them head on.

No one else could say what Obama just said and get away with it, because they’d be driven out of the race.

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Your widget is a PITA. It continually jumps back up to the top comment, even with Auto-scroll off. Even holding the scroll bar doesn’t help. I see now that is is not “Live!” it will stay put. Any suggestions for the next time?

It’s an interesting way to follow along, but I could never see past the first dozen messages without it refreshing back to the top. Copied all messages over to Word to be able to read them!

skoot65 on March 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM

sorry

james hooker on March 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM

For the price of a jar of mustard, a jar of relish and a loaf of bread I can buy a pound of dry beans and about two pounds of rice. That’ll nourish a couple people a lot better than condiment sandwiches.

Oldnuke on March 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Hahaha! Scotus blog accidentally linked into aoshq live blogging! The title, Obama’s Stupid Speech clued them in.

Blake on March 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Chickens coming home to roost..

>:D

White America created the AIDS virus and tested it on the poor Black man!

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Yeah, I heard his speech but what is he going to do about the Rev Wright?

d1carter on March 18, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Nothing. His proposal to attack corporations so that there are not more Rev Wrights. At least that is what I get from the speech. Rev Wright is a victim to Obama (like Ashley).

bnelson44 on March 18, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Copied all messages over to Word to be able to read them!

skoot65 on March 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM

That’s a good idea! I had the same frustration.

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 11:39 AM

A guy on Chris Plante called in and said that he was leaning towards Obama, but is now insulted, and pretty much that the speech made his decision for him. Rush said that white males will pretty much decide this election and just imagine how many feel like this guy.

This was a mistake for sure.

Dubn8tr on March 18, 2008 at 11:40 AM

I’ve got to hand-it to Obama, he really knows how to run an encounter session. Everyone feeling better?

Did everyone get-in on the group-hug at the end?

Earlg on March 18, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Here’s one crying.

Yes, those speeches blaming whitey for simply not understanding a Black racist always get me right here (points to heart, sniffles).

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Obama has just given his opponents a very long speech to pick apart and analyze and discuss on the radio, on T.V. in blogs, etc.

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Crap! he did bring the jooo’s into it: he said Rabbi’s.

MSNBC coverage is too funny. Chuck trying to be ‘fair’ and keep his job on MSNBC.

Staggered by the speech says Nancy Giles – a social commentator. How can I get that job?

hotdax on March 18, 2008 at 11:41 AM

JohnTant on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

She’s jewish?

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Lets do civil disobedience and get civil rights!

Thats how we get stuff done!

Thats what Obama says!

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 11:41 AM

If we don’t get our way we will tear this mutha up!

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 11:42 AM

skoot65 on March 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Works fine for me, but if I recall correctly, some had a problem similar to yours the last time.

Connie on March 18, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Now, let’s see if Billary has the balls to come out and call him on his B.S. It would funny to continue the implosion. If she doesn’t, consider her VP material.

If the implosion continues, look for more impeachment talk to shift focus off the train wreck.

cntrlfrk on March 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM

She’s jewish?

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 11:41 AM

She might be. Last year she was Muslim, this year she’s a long-time devout Christian. Seriously.

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM

The success or failure of his speech depends on whether or not the media remind their viewers that while he gave a flowery speech, he didn’t address the topic at hand.

db on March 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Screw this crap about whites being richer than blacks.

I’m a poor Jooo (my family didn’t get the memo!)

I grew up with this BS in East New York, Brooklyn during the 70′s when I was the only white kid in school.

hotdax on March 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM

29Victor

If you eat horseradish sandwiches they are so cheap that you can support a mom and dad with cancer.

BL@KBIRD on March 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM

That was so inspirational I gave my black slave his freedom this morning.

Oh wait. I don’t have one. What? Nobody does in America?

Well then, what was Obambi talking about?

fogw on March 18, 2008 at 11:44 AM

He just saved his campaign

bnelson44 on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

What Obama failed (again) to do was to explain what his plan is to absolve these “precieved injustices” other than the implied responsiblity of the government. Translation: More government-dependency-welfare programs that tie the hands of the “oppressed”.

Rovin on March 18, 2008 at 11:44 AM

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Other grandma.

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 11:45 AM

He cringed at his grandmothers racial epithets. I didn’t hear him mention cringing at Wrights racist and anti-American remarks.

Obama is a black man first and all he did was convince me that his is a black agenda.

ctmom on March 18, 2008 at 11:45 AM

mikeyboss & Connie – What browser are you using? Could be a FireFox issue. I didn’t try it on IE.

skoot65 on March 18, 2008 at 11:45 AM

This guy is full of more crap than a Christmas turkey. I was born dirt poor and worked my way out of it and I’m sick and tired of all these whiners casting blame on society. I owe no one, and if the rest of society is dissatisfied with their lot then they need to try and change it . . . but stay out of my face.

rplat on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Mark Halperin:

Largely positive instant reaction from cable pundits/anchors/reporters.

Shocka. Positive reaction from his followers.

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Although I don’t agree with Obama’s liberal policies for fixing the problems facing America and would not vote for him, I think that Rev. Wright’s occasional rants are a poor excuse for Democrats to throw him under a bus. I suspect that most Black churches occasionally experience sermons somewhat like those of Rev. Wright and judging church members by the occasional loony remarks of one of its preachers is highly unfair/unrealistic. If we expect him to disown all Black Christian churches that have experienced such divisive comments by their Pastors from the pulpit, his options for going to church might be somewhat limited. I think that his recognition that the black community is still caught up in such divisive rhetoric because many in their midst have suffered greatly from real racist behavior in the past is noteworthy. At least he acknowledges that it is a problem in the black community that needs to be worked on and that solving it is an endeavor that can only be accomplished by consistent effort over decades rather than years. Credit should be given where credit is due.

NuclearPhysicist on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Victor David Hanson said it best with the title of his lateste essay.

It is entitled “Our New Nixon”

Read the whole thing.

Nahanni on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Other grandma.

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Oh, the one he’s only now decided to bring to the forefront.

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

If “the left” may be considered Markos Moulitsas Zuniga, then they have a lot of work ahead of them. Kos says Hillary is keeping herself in the campaign. Really? I kind of thought wins in Texas and Ohio did that. You know, voters actually voted for her unlike the 10% she gets on Daily Kos.

More of this please. The Democrat party needs to mud rassle with its grassroots. Feudalism(party bosses) or Fundamentalism(nutroots): that is their choice.

gabriel sutherland on March 18, 2008 at 11:47 AM

thatcher on March 18, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Exactly. And I’m betting Skywise is right about what to expect after the primaries:

Skywise on March 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

The best antidote that comes to mind is to read a lot of Sheby Steele.

petefrt on March 18, 2008 at 11:47 AM

The nodding-dog sycophants will be content with this speech, but I think he has lost the plot. I suspect it’s all going to unravel from now on.

This was an untenable position. No white guy could survive a parallel situation and continue with his political ambition. I’ll even be surprised if Obama hangs on to his senate seat when his turn comes around.

This is octane for the Clinton wehrmacht.

LimeyGeek on March 18, 2008 at 11:47 AM