Open thread: Obama speech aims to save America, his own ass; Update: Transcript added; Update: Sullivan swoons

posted at 10:08 am on March 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

10:15 ET on all the cable nets and livestreaming on their websites so you have no excuse. If you thought Hewitt’s praise of Romney’s religion speech was embarrassingly effusive, wait until this love bomb detonates over Nutrootsville. I’d ask you who you think is apt to embarrass himself with the most squeamishly lyrical praise — the competition is stiff, after all — but we all know who it’ll be so let’s just wait for him to deliver. He’s already gone to the trouble of declaring preemptively that if the speech fails it proves that a Black Man Can’t Be President in America. Or at least, not one who looks the other way at hate for 20 years because it’s politically convenient for him to do so.

As noted yesterday, it appears the chosen one will be relying on the cherry-picking defense, which didn’t help Hagee with Andrew Sullivan (nor should it have) but should prove plenty persuasive for a reality-based community caught between Hillary and a wounded, discredited Obama as their nominee. Ed and I are going to try to liveblog this thing; stay tuned for video.

Update: If it gets boring, watch this instead.

Update: Drudge has the transcript.

Update: No matter how prepared for it you think you are, you aren’t. Excitable Andy never disappoints. Good lord.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

You said ass.

Akzed on March 18, 2008 at 10:10 AM

I’d like to see them pull the muzzle off of Michele about now.

I’d bet she’d lose it and put another nail in his political coffin.

cntrlfrk on March 18, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Oprah Winfrey hasn’t attended that church in a decade and never passed the entrance classes. So technically she wasn’t a full parishoner.

bnelson44 on March 18, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Sharpton eludes to Megyn Kelley that, somehow, it is better that he joined this church 20 some years ago and not just when he decided to run for POTUS. Huh?!

MarkABinVA on March 18, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Now remember, if it hadn’t been for the Limbaugh Brigades in Texas and Ohio, we would never have reached this day.

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Save his own ass? Can’t we just kiss it goodbye already?!

Shy Guy on March 18, 2008 at 10:13 AM

He ruined himself already so, this speech won’t do much.

j0 on March 18, 2008 at 10:14 AM

I have kissed his ass goodbye. Now just to sit back and watch the Democratic Party implode.

geminicontender on March 18, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Hoodwinking and bamboozling is being given a bad name by this guy.

tarpon on March 18, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Why does Sharpton always get selected for his slanted views. He’s the worst. Find someone else.

geminicontender on March 18, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Are we supposed to dress for the speech, or stand at attention or anything?

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Question: will he close by saying God Bless America?

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 10:17 AM

I bet he has started smoking again recently. I know I would….

MarkABinVA on March 18, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Team Clinton and Team McCain screwed themselves over by not trying to do whatever they could to give the media a breather or change the subject for a bit. Now the media will be desperate to change the subject because they’re tired of the story.

ninjapirate on March 18, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Speech title: The Wright stuff

Mr. Bingley on March 18, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Obamboozle is about to speak

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Speech title: Dead Man Walking

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 10:18 AM

FACT: Obama attended that church and listed to that hate monger, Jeramiah Wright, for 20 years.

FACT: Wright married Barrack & Michelle.

FACT: Wright baptised their children.

FACT: Only now that he is running for Prez and knows that Wrights teachings will hurt him, does he “denounce” some of the rhetoric Wright spews. Not 5 yrs ago, not 10 yrs ago, but now…

Question: Could you listen to this hatred for 20 years, if you did not buy into it?

kcd on March 18, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Shots of espresso (I’m at work) every time he says ‘Hope’ or ‘Change’!

cntrlfrk on March 18, 2008 at 10:19 AM

The fact that he’s forced to talk about race in America, under the guise of apologizing for his longtime racist mentor, drives a stake through his political heart even before he makes his speech.

He’s cooked. A half hour sermon isn’t going to change squat.

fogw on March 18, 2008 at 10:19 AM

speech in full here: http://drudgereport.com/flashos.htm

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Will he use church or debate dialect?

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 10:20 AM

got my coffee and a poptart, let the backpeddling begin.

trailortrash on March 18, 2008 at 10:20 AM

I’m gona give it the ACE teatment and say, But mostly his own ass.

ronsfi on March 18, 2008 at 10:20 AM

“I did not hear that man, Jeremiah Wright”

MarkABinVA on March 18, 2008 at 10:22 AM

In fairness to Sharpton, I’d get awful stupid standing next to Megyn Kelly, too.

Jaibones on March 18, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Who else is going in late to work on the East coast this morning?

MarkABinVA on March 18, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Can we have a thread to talk about Megyn Kelly?

Jaibones on March 18, 2008 at 10:23 AM

commanding victories in states with some of the whitest populations in the country

In South Carolina, where the Confederate Flag still flies

the implication that my candidacy is somehow an exercise in affirmative action

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Fauxbama attends UCC with Rev. Rascist as Pastor for twenty years, and this is the first he’s hearing this kind of language. Like attending the Beer Hall Putsch on Sunday for twenty years and never hearing Hitler talking about Jews. Put a fork in him, he’s done, well done……………At least I don’t have to watch Fauxbama give sermons about hope anymore, hoping whitey dies, that is………..

adamsmith on March 18, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Jaibones on March 18, 2008 at 10:23 AM

True, very true.. LOL

MarkABinVA on March 18, 2008 at 10:23 AM

He’s going to go with “you stupid white people just don’t understand what it’s like to be black”. The liberals always buy that one.

Jaibones on March 18, 2008 at 10:24 AM

When’s the last time he had a bunch of flags behind him when he gave a speech? Anybody know? Does he usually have that many flags in the background?

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Like other predominantly black churches across the country, Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety

Not once in my conversations with him have I heard him talk about any ethnic group in derogatory terms

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM

The reason he’s late is because the barge hauling the Statue of Liberty down from NYC is running behind.

MarkABinVA on March 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM

You think this whole Obama “running for President” thing is just a scam to try and get a one-on-one with Megyn Kelly?

Jaibones on March 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Let’s see if he dons the American flag pin today.

Any bets?

fogw on March 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Yada Yada Yada

Wade on March 18, 2008 at 10:27 AM

“Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes.”

Exactly. Too many people were calling him a liar and an idiot. Had to cop to something.

Jaibones on March 18, 2008 at 10:29 AM

10:00, 10:15, 10:30 …….

Rewriting or Regretting?

fogw on March 18, 2008 at 10:29 AM

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 10:29 AM

ObamaX’s vision of saving America is by inspiring rebellion to bring the US of KKKA’s empire to it’s knees.

Red Pill on March 18, 2008 at 10:31 AM

if we walk away now, if we simply retreat into our respective corners, we will never be able to come together and solve challenges

What an arrogant prick

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 10:31 AM

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 10:13 AM

I have no idea where you come up with that. First off I’m not sure that Republicans managed to put Hillary over the top or even make a real difference in Texas or Ohio, but if Obama had won one, or better, both, Hillary would be gone and this guy with all his baggage would be the presumptive Dem nominee.

This story was coming out regardless. And Obama’s suit was just as empty, regardless.

All the Hillary rooters might want to check out her rising positives and lowering negatives. I’m not saying exactly I think she can win or they can avoid a trainwreck if they don’t nominate Obama, but keeping the undead alive is just never a good strategy.

Ever.

Typhoon on March 18, 2008 at 10:32 AM

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I can not listen to him more than 30 seconds before I have to change the channel.
It’s too painful.
I’ll wait for the media Q&A recap when I get home from work. RIGHT!

oceansidecon on March 18, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Second Paragraph:

The document they produced was eventually signed but ultimately unfinished. It was stained by this nation’s original sin of slavery, a question that divided the colonies and brought the convention to a stalemate until the founders chose to allow the slave trade to continue for at least twenty more years, and to leave any final resolution to future generations.

Reparations anyone???

Not only will B. Hussein O raise taxes, he will legislate reparations.

stenwin77 on March 18, 2008 at 10:32 AM

AP: Why, to disown this shrieking hate merchant would be to disown black American entirely! “I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community.”

And to think he was within one night of being the ‘Rat nominee….

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 10:33 AM

But for all those who scratched and clawed their way to get a piece of the American Dream, there were many who didn’t make it – those who were ultimately defeated, in one way or another, by discrimination

So, if you aren’t rich, its the white man’s fault

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Let’s see if he dons the American flag pin today.

Any bets?

fogw on March 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM

He can’t insult out intelligence that badly, can he?

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2008 at 10:33 AM

What an idiot! He already had 95% of the black vote! I don’t believe it, he’s confiningin himself to the far left white anarchists and leftists and blacks. Say goodbye to hispanics and all white voters to the right of “leftist”, plus the 5% of conservative blacks…

Jaibones on March 18, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Can’t we all just get along?

Can we ….. Reverend Wright?

fogw on March 18, 2008 at 10:33 AM

And to think he was within one night of being the ‘Rat nominee….

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Right.

Jaibones on March 18, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely – just as I’m sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.

Senator, sure I disagree with some of what my priests say. But we’re not talking about a slight disagreement in political discourse here. We’re talking about a pastor who after 9/11 said from the pulpit that we deserved what we got. We’re talking about a pastor who blames the AIDS virus on America, even saying we created it to inflict on certain races. We’re talking about a pastor who preaches that we shouldn’t “bless” America, but damn it.

If my priest started preaching that, you can be assured I’d be looking for another church.

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Just glossed through the speech at Drudge. This guy is slick.

I predict more fainting and a whole new round of Obama quotes for the MSM to parrot while they compare him to MLK.

I bet ‘Slick Willie’ has ‘Slick Envy’ for Obama.

cntrlfrk on March 18, 2008 at 10:34 AM

His delay is delaying my departue to work. I feel oppressed.

MarkABinVA on March 18, 2008 at 10:34 AM

The declaration of independence … was eventually signed but ultimately unfinished. It was stained by this nation’s original sin of slavery

I am looking forward to the history lessons that will be forthcoming in the next days and weeks!

RushBaby on March 18, 2008 at 10:35 AM

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 10:29 AM

This is what he gets for letting Jesse, Jr. in his office…

Jaibones on March 18, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Ever.

Typhoon on March 18, 2008 at 10:32 AM

The rumblings began back in August 2007. By my calendar, that was 7 months of no mention in the LeftStreamMedia, even as Obama became ever-so-briefly the front-runner. Had he managed to knock off the last (wo)man standing between him and Denver, I have no doubt the LSM would have continued to bury it.

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 10:35 AM

I feel oppressed.

MarkABinVA on March 18, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Now we see the violence inherent in the system! Help, I’m bein’ repressed!

Jaibones on March 18, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Ahh. The refreshing new direction of Playing the Raaaaacce Card.

ronsfi on March 18, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Anger over welfare and affirmative action helped forge the Reagan Coalition

That’s news

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 10:36 AM

he really is making a point to bring up South Carolina a lot

SCGOPgirl on March 18, 2008 at 10:36 AM

AP: Oh, you’ve got to be kidding: “But race is an issue that I believe this nation cannot afford to ignore right now.”

10:32 AP: He would have ignored it happily enough if Brian Ross and Fox hadn’t laid this crap right on his plate.

Tears of laughter, tears of joy…

Jaibones on March 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM

This clown is playing the race card faster than a three handed Black Jack Dealer.

(no pun intended) :o)

cntrlfrk on March 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Does the speech have any references to Bob the Builder, “Yes We Can” ?

d1carter on March 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Slick speech. No doubt, he will perform it well and no doubt, the drive by media will be orgasmic about it. Then, they will declare that racism is over in America if B. Hussein is elected, all we have to do is elect him.

One question though: He speaks about the white man. He talks about our hardships. What does he know about the white man? He can never know what we’ve gone through.

(just trying it out…after all, I can’t possibly know what its like to be black because I’m white. Did it work for me?)

Darksean on March 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Hillary didn’t know her husband was cheating right under her nose.

Obama didn’t know what his pastor was saying while he sat in the pew.

Do we really want these people running the country? I don’t think they’d notice if the Chinese invaded the west coast.

fogw on March 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM

It didn’t take Obama long to work the “Hope” word into his speech. Also, noteworthy his his shrewd reference to Geraldine Ferraro, like she was some kind of offset to the situation. I have to admit, its a well thought out speech, which, I’m sure, will bring his desciples to tears.

Syd B. on March 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Just as black anger often proved counterproductive, so have these white resentments distracted attention from the real culprits of the middle class squeeze – a corporate culture rife with inside dealing, questionable accounting practices, and short-term greed; a Washington dominated by lobbyists and special interests; economic policies that favor the few over the many. And yet, to wish away the resentments of white Americans, to label them as misguided or even racist, without recognizing they are grounded in legitimate concerns – this too widens the racial divide, and blocks the path to understanding.

No change, no hope. Reads like an Epic FAIL.

RushBaby on March 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Uh, as for me, when my pastor and I disagree (and for the past five or so years that hasn’t happened), it’s on doctrinal issues. Not on whether America is a great country.

My pastor’s British, by the way.

emailnuevo on March 18, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Uncle Wright to Obama, is the equivalent of a member of Westboro Baptist Church running for office.

jp on March 18, 2008 at 10:42 AM

We’re being Obamboozled….

southsideironworks on March 18, 2008 at 10:42 AM

I think the IRS is going to need a new deduction classification for next year. Something like “Income lost waiting for Messianic spins”.

MarkABinVA on March 18, 2008 at 10:42 AM

The reason he’s late is because he’s gauging reaction to the speech to figure out if he needs to change anything.

Connie on March 18, 2008 at 10:43 AM

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 10:35 AM

That’s hardly the point.

The point those of us who thought that strategy was/is stupid were and are making is that Obama’s en beatable empty suit.

By my count, it’s eight months until November. The MSM may well have kept this buried for a time but if you ask me, that’s a good thing.

If you think it would never have come out, well, I just don’t agree. This in coming out in September or October would have made the Swiftboaters look like a bunch of day sailers.

Everyone who wanted in any way to deny this guy a clear path to the Dem nomination was afraid of a mirage.

Typhoon on March 18, 2008 at 10:44 AM

I wonder if Chris Matthews will get a chill down his leg after hearing the speech.

Lance Murdock on March 18, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Connie on March 18, 2008 at 10:43 AM

In that case, he’s going to be ReWriting for a while.

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Question: Is Rev Wright America’s Number 1 Racist?

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 10:44 AM

notion of self-help found frequent expression in Reverend Wright’s sermons

Sometimes self help begins with terrorists slamming planes into buildings.

lorien1973 on March 18, 2008 at 10:46 AM

It is a pretty well written speech, though.

Mr. Bingley on March 18, 2008 at 10:46 AM

faraway on March 18, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Not even close. Unfortunately.

lorien1973 on March 18, 2008 at 10:46 AM

yeah- just words.

Ex-tex on March 18, 2008 at 10:46 AM

In the end, then, what is called for is nothing more, and nothing less, than what all the world’s great religions demand – that we do unto others as we would have them do unto us.

Lob accusations that we’re all racist, white supremacists that created AIDS to inflict on certain other races?

amerpundit on March 18, 2008 at 10:47 AM

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Could be. I just read most of it. Frankly, I ended up being even more po’d.

Connie on March 18, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Whew!!! Notice who gets the subtle but sly criticism here–the white grandmother whom he professes to have loved but makes it clear that her attitudes were wrong(despite her possible experiences). He doesn’t excuse her, but blatantly and cleary defends Wright’s attitude and the experiences that formed it. Sorry!! Obama has become, even if he was not always, anti-white and anti-USA at heart.. But, he doesn’t seem to have noticed it—that’s the scarey part.

jeanie on March 18, 2008 at 10:47 AM

You know, when I first met my wife, she was a member of one of the largest majority black Churches of Christ in the Atlanta area. The times I attended church with her, I never once heard anything within a moonshot of the level of rhetoric that Wright spews from pulpit. I asked my wife about this last night and she said that she had never heard anything like that either in all the time she had gone to that church.

Queasy on March 18, 2008 at 10:47 AM

From the transcript:

I am the son of a black man from Kenya and a white woman from Kansas. I was raised with the help of a white grandfather who survived a Depression to serve in Patton’s Army during World War II and a white grandmother who worked on a bomber assembly line at Fort Leavenworth while he was overseas.

Wow. For the first time, he brings up those missing White grandparents, for the first time in the election, the ones he’s ignored until now. Why? Where were they before? Of no use? An embarassment, a liability, a threat to his Black identity?

But now we hear that gramps served under Old Blood n’ Guts, and gramms was Rosie the Riveter…wow, now he really connects to Whitey, eh?

pseudonominus on March 18, 2008 at 10:48 AM

I like the liveblog box, but it doesn’t work properly in Firefox 3 beta 4.

It keeps scrolling up to the very first post(s).

eforhan on March 18, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Typhoon on March 18, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Were you around for the 1992 campaign? As much as we thought the media was in the bag for Bill Clinton, they’ll be even more in the bag for the ‘Rats this time around. They can’t quite bury Hillary’s past, but an empty suit is perfect for their purposes because his past is an unknown.

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 10:48 AM

“A true original.”

Really? Want to give that a minute?

“The first original was George Washington…The greatest was Abraham Lincoln.”

Fantastic. Go change your underwear now.

emailnuevo on March 18, 2008 at 10:48 AM

quintessentially American – and yes, conservative – notion of self-help

Conservatism, as I see it, is not simply about “self-help.” There are many ways to help one’s self. The doctrinally conservative way to help one’s self is on the merits, not by finding a scapegoat fore all one’s problems and making everyone else pay to remedy one’s ills. That’s the way of the union lobby and the boomer-dominated AARP and the race pimps.

Mark V. on March 18, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Predictably, he includes a dig against the war — in a speech about race.

RushBaby on March 18, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Oh shucks, I missed it? Is it over?

I’ll make a prediction. He’ll say those comments were wrong, but that they were accurate.

rockhauler on March 18, 2008 at 10:49 AM

“I was born a poor black man.”

Steve Martin, The Jerk.

fogw on March 18, 2008 at 10:50 AM

eforhan on March 18, 2008 at 10:48 AM

nothing works right in beta 4. move back to firefox 2. addons don’t work either :/

lorien1973 on March 18, 2008 at 10:50 AM

I like the liveblog box, but it doesn’t work properly in Firefox 3 beta 4.

It keeps scrolling up to the very first post(s).

eforhan on March 18, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Try toggling AutoScroll (the second button below the comment box).

steveegg on March 18, 2008 at 10:50 AM

rockhauler on March 18, 2008 at 10:49 AM

You still have time. Obama’s dragged out some senator from the retirement home and, from the looks of things, he’ll be talking for eternity.

emailnuevo on March 18, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Is Senator Wofford comparing BO to George Washington and Abe Lincoln?

d1carter on March 18, 2008 at 10:50 AM

We’ve left two churches in a row because they brought in Rick Warren’s Purpose Filled Life (or whatever it’s called) and the whole rest of that “theology.”

No way we would have sat for 10 minutes for one of Wright’s screeds.

funky chicken on March 18, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Is he choking up?

MLK called Goldwater “Hiterlian.” Why do we still celebrate him?

emailnuevo on March 18, 2008 at 10:51 AM