Obama’s speech: Remainders; Update: 30% who’ve heard Wright’s comments say they view Obama more negatively; Flashback: Fire Imus, says Obama

posted at 5:00 pm on March 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

This story’s finished absent Hillary’s oppo research team handing some lucky reporter video of Obama nodding along in church to one of Rev. Jeremiah’s greatest hits, so enjoy the last few hours of it while you can. Ace is after me to link the video of Wright expounding on 9/11, as it really does need to be seen to be believed. Here you go. I don’t know what the big deal is; who among us hasn’t heard a close personal friend of 20 years’ standing wax rapturous about jetliners plowing into the World Trade Center? I was with a grade-school chum at Taco Bell just the other day when he looked up from his gordita and pronounced upon “the chickens … coming home … to roost.” Lighten up and have a burrito, okay?

Byron York’s another guy who needs to lighten up. So Obama’s supporters seem to think the good reverend was right on target. So what? They’re just fighting racism or something:

I asked Davis what his personal reaction was when he saw video clips of sermons in which Rev. Wright said, “God damn America,” called the United States the “U.S. of KKK A,” and said that 9/11 was “America’s chickens… coming home to roost.” “As a member of a traditional Baptist, black church, I wasn’t surprised,” Davis told me. “I wasn’t offended by anything the pastor said. A lot of things he said were absolutely correct…. The way he said it may not have been the most appropriate way to say it, but as far as a typical black inner-city church, that’s how it’s said.”

Vernon Price, a ward leader in Philadelphia’s 22nd Precinct, told me Obama’s speech was “very courageous.” When I asked his reaction to Rev. Wright, Price said, “A lot of things that he said were true, whether people want to accept it, or believe it, or not. People believe in their hearts that a lot of what he said was true.”

And finally, Geraghty goes to the place where critics must not go. Fortunately, the family missed every seriously controversial thing Wright ever said from the pulpit over the past 20 years (albeit not every unseriously controversial thing) so the joke’s on you, Jim. Exit question via Patrick Ishmael: What was with that star-spangled display behind His Holiness at the podium today? I thought he transcended the petty trappings of superficial patriotism last year, preferring instead the deeper, inner patriotism of the conscientious liberal much as one might eschew the wingnutty vocal condemnation of a degenerate who thinks we deserved 9/11 in favor of the more profound condemnation that comes with sitting silent and smiling politely.

o-flags.jpg

Update: Reap the whirlwind, you fraud.

[S]ixty-five percent said it didn’t make a difference in their view of Obama. However, of those whose opinion is changed, the net impact is very negative. Thirty percent said it made them have a less favorable view, whereas 2 percent said it made their view more favorable…

Democrats are especially apt to say their views are unchanged, with 76 percent saying it has made no difference of their view of Obama, 15 percent saying it made their view less favorable and 2 percent saying it made their view more favorable.

Republicans are the most likely to say their view has been affected: 47 percent say they’ve become less favorable, and 53 percent said it did not make a different.

Sixty-one percent of independent voters say they are unaffected, but 36 percent said it made their view less favorable. Two percent of independents said it made them more favorable view.

Update: Hail he of the immaculate standards for associating with racists!

In an interview with ABC News Wednesday afternoon, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., called for the firing of talk radio host Don Imus. Obama said he would never again appear on Imus’ show, which is broadcast on CBS Radio and MSNBC television.

“I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus,” Obama told ABC News, “but I would also say that there’s nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude.”

But that wasn’t quite true, was it? It’s almost as though he’s an abject hypocrite who’s making up his “principled” positions on race as he goes along to maximize his electoral advantage, isn’t it?

Comments

Enough flags?

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Check this out, this church is uploading a ton of Wright videos today to try and flood youtube. Result is you find a bunch of minute or so versions of Wright not sounding crazy and makes it hard to find the crazy stuff that has already been posted.

Which now I can’t find any of the Fox videos of Wright on youtube by searching “Jeremiah Wright”.

when you have allies in the tank for you like obama does, you can afford a little crazy in your campaign.

jp on March 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Did he wear an American Flag lapel pin?

kirkill on March 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM

This story’s finished…so enjoy the last few hours of it while you can.

I don’t know, AP. You may be right, but I still think this is going have legs. Big, strong legs.

Bugler on March 18, 2008 at 5:09 PM

That last sentence is beautiful; a shining example of the bourgeois mentality in it’s deep-rooted example of sheer liberal class group think and it’s effect on run-on sentences arising from the petty concerns of the proletariat known as the blogosphere in their class-centeredness.

Yes, I liked it. And I hope this story takes a lull then re-explodes again

Vanceone on March 18, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Geraghty’s right. There’s no speech to explain how Obama is the solution instead of part of the problem by perpetuating the transmission of the hate to another generation.

rw on March 18, 2008 at 5:12 PM

I agree with another poster who said yesterday that if His Holiness gets the nomination then some 527 will gear up with these vids all ready to go from the convention to the election. Something like this doesn’t just go away.

crazy_legs on March 18, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Bugler on March 18, 2008 at 5:09 PM

I tend to agree. Oh, the left loved what he said, and they’ll weep and pronounce him absolved–as if absolution were necessary.

But the point isn’t lost that he very stylistically missed his opportunity.

He equated his own grandmother to the hater Wright; he slammed Reagan Democrats; and he took no responsibility.

Plus, just go read up on “black liberation theology” and James Cone. We’re not near through hearing about them.

Typhoon on March 18, 2008 at 5:18 PM

wow, this wreaks of desperation.

Brad on March 18, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Looking at the photo, I’m reminded of something from Sesame Street:
one of these things is not like the others, one of these things does not belong….

Joe Mama on March 18, 2008 at 5:18 PM

I’m ready to give to the inevitable 527 right now. I want these Wright sermons on commericials during basketball games, next fall during baseball playoffs and football games. Someone should put Spanish subtitles on the Wright rants and run them on Univision.

Vote Sauron 08 on March 18, 2008 at 5:19 PM

crazy_legs on March 18, 2008 at 5:13 PM

agree, although will they be able to credibly spin it as “Swift boating” as the Dems have branded this stuff.

jp on March 18, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Yes, Obama can surround himself with all the flags he can find now, but that photo of him standing with his arms at his sides while all the other politicians on the stage stand with hands over hearts as God Bless America plays — that’s going to be shown on commercial after commercial in the general election. Somebody already made a video of it, interspersed with Wright’s “G– Damn America” speech and had it up on YouTube yesterday.

AZCoyote on March 18, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Vote Sauron 08 on March 18, 2008 at 5:19 PM

hmm, who could we get for the Spanish Voice overs? has to be someone with some flavor to get the full effect….wonder if Castro is available now that he’s retired? maybe he’d be up to make a few bucks.

jp on March 18, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Eight is enough questions and flags, apparently.

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Update: Reap the whirlwind, you fraud.

That it’s in blue-hyper text makes the statement all the louder.

Vizzini on March 18, 2008 at 5:24 PM

jp on March 18, 2008 at 5:22 PM

The Spanish voice-overs should be done by a Hispanic right-winger. I nominate Andy Garcia!

emailnuevo on March 18, 2008 at 5:24 PM

This liar is going to get destroyed in the general.

WisCon on March 18, 2008 at 5:24 PM

jp on March 18, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Anyone of the guys who do soccer broadcasts would be great. Goooo Gooo Gooooo Gooooooooo Goooooooooooooooooooal! Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!

Brad on March 18, 2008 at 5:25 PM

If he even makes it to the general, he’s done. This 36 percent of independants will have no problem pulling the lever for the Maverick.

crazy_legs on March 18, 2008 at 5:25 PM

The Messiah has a damaged wing and is in a nose dive.

txsurveyor on March 18, 2008 at 5:25 PM

The fact that Rev. Wright hasn’t been found dead shows that my country is seriously in peril.

From the YouTube account mentioned above:

Unashamely Black Unapologetically Christan

Ungrammatically Racist.

emailnuevo on March 18, 2008 at 5:27 PM

I’d love to hear the “Bill CLinton was Ridin’ Dirty” done in spanish.

jp on March 18, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Lighten up and have a burrito, okay?

ALLAH…you kill me dude…your comedy has come home to roost.

BirdEye on March 18, 2008 at 5:29 PM

That was supposed to have, after “dead,” the following: (or at least in dire need of a few bodyguards).

On that note, I say we bring back the Alien and Sedition Acts. Just for the weekend.

emailnuevo on March 18, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Bugler on March 18, 2008 at 5:09 PM

With Cankles.

Kid from Brooklyn on March 18, 2008 at 5:33 PM

All I can say is that if some bitter, lying, ambitious white politician wrapped himself in the flag like that to defend his racist, anti-American friend, while throwing his white grandmother who raised his sorry ass under the train and branding her a racist but embracing his lunatic anti-semite preacher as being representative of all African Americans, well, I just think that white lying politician would be toast. And I think the pandering flag props would be front and center in the story of his toastiness. If the American voters buy this, then they really do get the government they deserve.

Rational Thought on March 18, 2008 at 5:33 PM

It seems “The Messiah” is merely a false prophet.

CP on March 18, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Update: Hail he of the immaculate standards for associating with racists!

Wow… I can’t wait to see him wiggle out of this one…

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Enough flags?

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 5:07 PM

I’m not sure, maybe he needed to pick one up, mast and all, and start waiving it around like Stephen Colbert.

Come to think of it, I’m beginning to wonder if Colbert may have been more electable candidate for the Ds.

forest on March 18, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Pundit, please! According to the CBS Poll 42% of their braindead “registered voters” haven’t even heard about the remarks yet. So that alone will give the story legs as political conversations inevitably produce “what you talking about, Willis?” moments. Since Sam Power already declared Ohio Democrats as “obsessed”, expect a spanking in PA that raises eyebrows. Have fun in Altoona, pollsters.

rhodeymark on March 18, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Yep. “For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind…”

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 5:41 PM

I listened to the interview of Barack Obama on the Anderson Cooper show last week as Obama tried to justify his continued support for the Rev Jeremiah Wright and I was reminded of the movie “Time to Kill.”

In that movie a black man is on trial for murdering two white men who had raped and left his young daughter for dead. It was clear that he was going to be convicted until the defense attorney asked the the jury to imagine the terrible suffering the girl had gone through and the fury that would create in any father. After leading them through a painful and vivid description of her torture, he closed with the line, “now imagine if she were white.” The truth and humanity of the father finally transcends skin color and the father is acquitted.

I suggest that we all listen to Rev. Wright’s speech again and, “imagine if he were white.” There is no question in my mind, his thoughts would be directly in line of someone who was a Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan. The candidate that stood by him, who went to his church for 20 years, who claimed him as his mentor and spiritual advisor would be gone before the sun went down.

Obama claims that he was not present when these hateful sermons were preached. Again, if we know a preacher is spouting this type of hateful rhetoric with regularity, would any candidate who is a parishoner be let off the hook just for missing a Sunday or two?

IMHO, Sen Obama, a half-white man, educated in elite universities needed to have “street cred” when he came to Chicago if he wanted to be elected by a largely black constituency. He found the church which best suited his personal and political needs. If he hadn’t, it is unlikely he would have been elected to the Illinois Senate, let alone the US Senate. Now the chickens have come home to roost.

Spike72AFA on March 18, 2008 at 5:44 PM

This is starting to crack apart for the Obama, now by the Obama.

Though he now says he DID hear such filth-spewing, he was quick in the speech to offer the doublespeak shuffle:

1) he (wink wink) rejects what Wright said (yah, uh huh…),

yet at the same time

2) it’s perfectly OK whatever Wright said because, well, hey, you know how those older folk are…and that even includes my racist white relatives! And, by the way, I’m sticking close to my bigotted friends!

And this is supposed to make anyone want to vote for this fraud?!?

Lockstein13 on March 18, 2008 at 5:44 PM

I’d love to hear the “Bill CLinton was Ridin’ Dirty” done in spanish.

jp on March 18, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Heh, I’ll give it a shot:

Beell Cleenton estaba pasear sucio. …or something like that.

Over30 on March 18, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Sayanythingblog has the screencap of the day of the MSNBC stream of this thing.

Warning put down any liquids and fasten your seatbelts

CommentGuy on March 18, 2008 at 5:45 PM

While I readily admit I had not planned to vote for him, I did not have the intense dislike I have now for him. I can’t stand the man. His voice grates on me because I know it’s all lies.

Blake on March 18, 2008 at 5:46 PM

I predict Whitey riots if Fauxbomba wins the general election vs. McCain.

omnipotent on March 18, 2008 at 5:49 PM

kirkill on March 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM
Why does wearing a USA flag pin bother him… but he dresses up in that middle eastern outfit at the drop of a turban (remember in that pic Hillary released).

christophercube on March 18, 2008 at 5:50 PM

How did he get away with a “speech”, he should have had to give a press conference where he takes questions like the ones we are asking here.

Alden Pyle on March 18, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Re. Imus.

Somebody commented here today with a quote from Obama re. the Imus situation where he said something to the effect that the real shame is that children are being fed the Imus filth.

I can’t find the comment, but isn’t that the pot calling the kettle black. Apparently, Obama’s wife and kids went to church even when Obama couldn’t make it.

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Meanwhile back at team Hillary ranch
Hillary is scouting the blogs and is
getting dizzy at AllahPundits Updating
the updates!Haha

I have a gut feeling that the two camps of Liberal land
are in a pickle,Obama is probably getting the speech was
good enough and his voters are taking comfort in the so-
called bigots and the Hillary camp are partying at Obamas
demise while being the real bigots!

canopfor on March 18, 2008 at 5:55 PM

oh strong words but thats all this tool is about words and they come for the most part out of his body part thats in a sling .

Mojack420 on March 18, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Alden Pyle on March 18, 2008 at 5:54 PM

He’ll get the hard questions at the next debate from Chrissy or that CNN babe Anderson.

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 5:56 PM

If was a Repub or a Conservative in the same position, it would be over by now and we wouldn’t be debating/wondering how long it would go on because he/she would be already dead politically.

davidk on March 18, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Spike72AFA on March 18, 2008 at 5:44 PM

I believe so.
However, I think something else, deeper drove him to that Church, other than just political expediency.

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 5:57 PM

posted at 5:00 pm on March 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

Dude. You have really stepped up your game today. It’s days like this that remind me why HA is the best blog on the innerwebs.

jaime on March 18, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Me thinks theres going to be a hot time in Denver,
going to be a lot of finger pointing and I had a dream
but Hillary took it!

canopfor on March 18, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Here’s Obama on Imus:

[imus] didn’t just cross the line. [imus] fed into some of the worst stereotypes that my two young daughters are having to deal with today in America. The notions that as young African-American women….that that somehow makes them less beautiful or less important. It was a degrading comment. It’s one that I’m not interested in supporting….What we’ve been seeing around this country is this constant ratcheting up of a coarsening of the culture that all of have to think about….Insults, humor that degrades women, humor that is based in racism and racial stereotypes isn’t fun….And the notion that somehow it’s cute or amusing, or a useful diversion, I think, is something that all of us have to recognize is just not the case….as a culture, we really have to do some soul-searching to think about what kind of toxic information are we feeding our kids.

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Two Americas.

Tzetzes on March 18, 2008 at 6:01 PM

I keep waiting for someone, somewhere to ask Senator Obama two questions:
If indeed you were aware of ‘Rev.’Wright’s views concerning white America, and with you being the messenger of hope, the ‘change’ we’ve all been waiting for; How is it you apparently made no effort to temper the good Reverand’s attitudes with your enligtening dialogue? And secondly if you did broach these subjects with Rev Wright how is it you could not temper his views let alone his rhetoric? How can we expect you to bridge the divide if you can’t even convince your religious adviser how will you ever be able to bring the rest of us neanderthals to bay?
What a fraud

StuCon on March 18, 2008 at 6:05 PM

I don’t think this is over. Rush, for one, won’t give up on this. And then there’s a certain fat lady who isn’t done singing yet.

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 6:06 PM

I have a theory about Imus,Imus is politically neatrul,
I’m guessing,and thats why no Liberals came forward to defend Imus.

If Imus was a flaming Liberal,I’m sure the media would of
came to his rescue,ala Slick Willys bimbo media defence
team as an example.

So Imus was all on his own,and by the way,if Imus uttered
one minute of Mr.Wrights speech from the pulpit,Imus would
be banned for life,and all Imus did was to make a comment
that is used on a regular basis within the African American
community,some communitys not all!

canopfor on March 18, 2008 at 6:11 PM

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 5:59 PM

So he puts his kids into rev. racist church to get indoctrinated with hate.

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 6:15 PM

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Nice find. This has to be brought in front of the US public every day from now until November.

Think about how many white politicians died on the vine for playing GOLF at a club that was white only or man only. If the US public gives this vapid hater a pass with this crap we will have surely eaten an entire truckload of dumb ass.

Alden Pyle on March 18, 2008 at 6:16 PM

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 5:54 PM

This is all I could find.

OBAMA: I believe that NBC should not be having hosts like Don Imus who are making derogatory statements toward women and minorities. I’ve got two young daughters who I hope will be athletes and the notion that somehow they would be degraded and insulted and that that would pass as humor and that NBC would be running that over the public airwaves, I think, is atrocious.

ninjapirate on March 18, 2008 at 6:16 PM

There wasn’t a single sentence in his speech about anything e would really do to heal the divide. It was all a big “I didn’t do it!”

Maybe he could start the healing by encouraging Blacks to no longer be locked up on the Democrat plantation hoping for another handout, and instead look to stronger family values and business opportunities being espoused by the Republicans.

pedestrian on March 18, 2008 at 6:19 PM

StuCon on March 18, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Bingo. Surely he had time to write the Rev a letter or 2 from a loving ‘nephew’, expressing dismay over his crazy uncle’s radical views, or perhaps inquiring over the state of his mental health.

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 6:28 PM

It’s Mahdi Coup de Grace….

last tuesday before Easter…

BL@KBIRD on March 18, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Actually, his speech and the positive reaction from supporters towards Wright’s rants have defined a clear line in the sand. This has the potential to become simply a racial contest, with the real ugliness being played out not on the main stage, but in local, grass roots communities. I suspect he, Wright, and their supporters have set race relations back 30 years with the way this was handled, and anti-Americanism, not racism, was the original major complaint about Wright.

a capella on March 18, 2008 at 6:39 PM

I think some pundits are taking Obama’s relationship with Rev. Wright the wrong way. IF not, some pundits are definitely distorting and exaggerating the relationship. Check this column by Dennis Prager.There is another one on the same site by Pat Buchanan.

BK on March 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM

I was waiting for this to come up. Last night on The Factor, everyone is down on Bill for taking things out of context. The brain dead church members are repeating the rant that you need to hear the entire sermon to understand what G-d damn America means.

Yet not too long ago, did anyone worry about Imus being taken wrong with a sound bite? Of course not.

Death to America. Blame Whitey. Sounds pretty clear to me.

Hening on March 18, 2008 at 6:48 PM

BK on March 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Broken link.

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 6:53 PM

It’s almost as though he’s an abject hypocrite who’s making up his “principled” every positions on race as he goes along to maximize his electoral advantage, isn’t it?

Fixed. You’re welcome.

Captain Scarlet on March 18, 2008 at 7:12 PM

The way he’s flying by the seat of his pants so far, triangulating ala Clinton par excellence, it’s fairly obvious that he’ll eventually fumble big time. We need to be waiting in the wings to exploit it. He might already be in the White House by then, but when it comes, I hope we have the infrastructure to knee-cap him politically.

spmat on March 18, 2008 at 7:22 PM

I could no more disavow Imus than I could disavow the entire white community.

drjohn on March 18, 2008 at 7:25 PM

In a truly enlightened, post-racial nation, Obama’s ambition to lead the US of KKK-A would be at an end. Obama would withdraw from the race in shame to avoid suffering an embarrassing string of humiliating defeats in all of the remaining primary contests.

Of course, we’re talking about the Democratic Party here, which in spite of their delusions to the contrary is far from enlightened or post-racial. Otherwise I would go with my gut and predict that Obama is through even if it isn’t readily apparent yet.

FloatingRock on March 18, 2008 at 7:26 PM

This story’s finished…so enjoy the last few hours of it while you can.

No it’s not.

Obama just proved that he lied. Over and over he said that he never heard these remarks and now low and behold- he has heard them!

drjohn on March 18, 2008 at 7:31 PM

To see the number of people in Obama’s church agreeing with this line of thought is unsettling, but also eyeopening. Do many never venture outside the neighborhood? Do they never turn on a TV or log on to the net? How could you live anywhere without knowing what their pastor ranted is against conventional thought? Growing up in California I am colorblind and find it deeply insulting to find the first candidate of any color hates/dislikes/dispises my very being. I can judge someone on their behavior though, and Obama is sorely lacking in many arenas I consider vital in an occupant of the White House. For him to make a mockery of what he and his wife have exposed their children to borders on child endangerment/abuse IMHO. They will grow up with a handicapped mind.

24K lady on March 18, 2008 at 7:39 PM

He would not wear a simple flag pin and now that he is treading water, he wraps himself in the flag.
This is supposed to be our next president? No thank you.
No more benefit of the doubt.

RobCon on March 18, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Somebody asked Obama if he wanted 8 fags on the stage and he said, “You Bet.”

I guess he found out they were fLags WITHOUT a photo of CHE too late to have them removed.

EJDolbow on March 18, 2008 at 7:47 PM

BK on March 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM

In fact, if Shelby Steele (who also has a white mother and black father) is right, we should not only be waiting until we better know who Barack Obama is. We probably need to wait until Barack Obama better knows who he is.

I agree 100%, and have been saying pretty much the same.
I think Obama is one confused individual, and people like Rev. Racist or his wife, do not make it any easier.

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 8:20 PM

BK on March 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Broken link.

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 8:21 PM

This is supposed to be our next president? No thank you.
No more benefit of the doubt.

RobCon on March 18, 2008 at 7:40 PM

This is a great point. Obama could not have stuck any more flags around him than he did.

drjohn on March 18, 2008 at 9:14 PM

I think it is time to start recirculating the Islamic Manchurian Candidate meme. He clearly sees religion through the eyes of a political opportunist and attached himself to Wright not for religious reasons, but for South side Chicago political reasons. Is it not implausible, now, to see that his embrace of Christ may really be a function of the demographics of the nation he seeks to rule?

Plus, a muslim would not be surprised by all the vile hatred spewed from the pulpit.

tommylotto on March 19, 2008 at 7:23 AM