Obama’s speech: Consider these goalposts moved!

posted at 1:27 pm on March 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

“[R]ace is an issue that I believe this nation cannot afford to ignore right now,” saith the prophet, politely eliding the fact that he was only too happy to ignore it for 20 years when it was being belched at him from the pulpit in its most wretched form and then for another 13 months as a candidate until ABC dropped it on his plate and rubbed his face in it. Now, with his ass in a sling, suddenly it’s time for the great conversation. If any other politician tried a move this transparently cynical, to nudge the conversation away from his own craven tolerance of racial hatred to some sort of redemption narrative by which to hold that against him is to be, in effect, objectively anti-progress, the media would vivisect him. Instead, expect a full-body orgasm on “Hardball” tonight as the thrill in Chris Matthews’s leg spreads accordingly. Our commenters laughed at me the other day for calling him a spectacularly shrewd politician. How do you feel now?

Here’s a blank check to white racists to join the restrictive country club of their choice because, after all, they can no more disown white racism than they can the entire white community:

Like other predominantly black churches across the country, Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety – the doctor and the welfare mom, the model student and the former gang-banger. Like other black churches, Trinity’s services are full of raucous laughter and sometimes bawdy humor. They are full of dancing, clapping, screaming and shouting that may seem jarring to the untrained ear. The church contains in full the kindness and cruelty, the fierce intelligence and the shocking ignorance, the struggles and successes, the love and yes, the bitterness and bias that make up the black experience in America.

And this helps explain, perhaps, my relationship with Reverend Wright. As imperfect as he may be, he has been like family to me. He strengthened my faith, officiated my wedding, and baptized my children. Not once in my conversations with him have I heard him talk about any ethnic group in derogatory terms, or treat whites with whom he interacted with anything but courtesy and respect. He contains within him the contradictions – the good and the bad – of the community that he has served diligently for so many years.

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community.

And there you have it. Gotta take the bitter with the sweet, unless you’re Trent Lott or Louis Farrakhan or John Hagee, whose sweeter parts are quite insufficient indeed as a salve to the bitter. Tom Maguire notes that not every black minister looks kindly upon the idea that “Trinity = black America,” which leaves us — where, exactly? Is Obama suggesting that he had to choose Trinity over a more traditionally Christian black church because of Wright’s racism, because without that he wouldn’t have “the full black experience”? Are the ministers who call Wright out of the mainstream “disowning the black community” by doing so? Maybe:

For the men and women of Reverend Wright’s generation, the memories of humiliation and doubt and fear have not gone away; nor has the anger and the bitterness of those years. That anger may not get expressed in public, in front of white co-workers or white friends. But it does find voice in the barbershop or around the kitchen table. At times, that anger is exploited by politicians, to gin up votes along racial lines, or to make up for a politician’s own failings.

And occasionally it finds voice in the church on Sunday morning, in the pulpit and in the pews. The fact that so many people are surprised to hear that anger in some of Reverend Wright’s sermons simply reminds us of the old truism that the most segregated hour in American life occurs on Sunday morning. That anger is not always productive; indeed, all too often it distracts attention from solving real problems; it keeps us from squarely facing our own complicity in our condition, and prevents the African-American community from forging the alliances it needs to bring about real change. But the anger is real; it is powerful; and to simply wish it away, to condemn it without understanding its roots, only serves to widen the chasm of misunderstanding that exists between the races.

Really? How about understanding its roots but not condemning it? That’s what Obama did for 20 years, implicitly lending himself to the cause of racial division — he finally admits early in the speech that he heard “remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church,” although these appear to be of a lesser grade somehow than the stuff that’s been airing on Fox — and only now with the presidency at stake has he awakened to the perniciousness of silence. Hitchens made a good point at Romney’s expense during the campaign when he noted how conveniently timed some of the Mormon church’s reversals on race have been over the years. If you want conveniently timed racial awakenings, brother, you got it.

Here’s my favorite line. After likening black grievances over racism to white grievances over the economy, which is the Messiah’s magical, transubstantiative way of turning a racial scandal into class warfare, Jesus finally makes a cameo. Does a man who swallowed hateful bilge for two decades out of political convenience really have the balls to lecture other people on the Golden Rule? Oh yes:

In the end, then, what is called for is nothing more, and nothing less, than what all the world’s great religions demand – that we do unto others as we would have them do unto us. Let us be our brother’s keeper, Scripture tells us. Let us be our sister’s keeper. Let us find that common stake we all have in one another, and let our politics reflect that spirit as well.

Unless, of course, your brother or sister designed the AIDS virus at the U.S. government’s behest.

All right, enough. Go read Shelby Steele’s take on Obama’s appeal, which (a) deals with race and (b) is critical of him, and is therefore (c) racist. Partisanship aside, as much as I loathe his politics, I always liked Obama the man and believed that his devotion to racial reconciliation was sincere. I don’t anymore. He exploited Trinity politically to establish his black “authenticity” and then demagogued Clinton for challenging his image as the post-racial candidate, and now the two have bumped up against each other so suddenly it’s time for a circle-squaring conversation that can really only end in electing him president. Typical politician, just a bit smarter than the rest. Shows you how naive I am that I’m surprised.

Update: “That’s akin to OJ saying we could just get past all this double-murder decapitation fuss if we just appoint him California Attorney General.”

Update: A question from Ace: Who’s the intended audience of this speech?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Obama: “Farmers and scholars; statesmen and patriots who had traveled across an ocean to escape tyranny and persecution finally made real their declaration of independence at a Philadelphia convention that lasted through the spring of 1787.
The document they produced was eventually signed but ultimately unfinished. It was stained by this nation’s original sin of slavery, a question that divided the colonies and brought the convention to a stalemate until the founders chose to allow the slave trade to continue for at least twenty more years, and to leave any final resolution to future generations.”

I’m not holding my breath, but it would be soooooo nice if some media outlet – just someone out there – would show a modicum of outrage that this person, who wishes to become President of the United States of America, believes that one of our founding documents is “stained.”

As an aside, this is a sign of Barack – and not just Michelle any more – Obama’s “influence” (understatement of the year) by Wright’s finally starting to ooze out into the public eye.

Meltdown clock?

____________________

I’m L13, white, rich, and privileged, and I approved this massage

Lockstein13 on March 18, 2008 at 7:21 PM

The same. A shrewd politician would have kicked Wright under the bus a decade ago.

baldilocks on March 18, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Well, maybe not a decade ago, but a year or two before he launched a national campaign, anyway. Heh.

The church affiliation was useful in his first run, but as you suggest, a shrewd politician wouldn’t have overlooked that this stuff is explosive baggage that needs to be shed… or at least thoroughly thought out… well in advance of any run that’s for national office.

But like AP and others, I wanted to believe he stood for post-racial politics, and for a while I did believe it. But now I’m thinking his post-racial posture stands less on conviction than cynical expedience.

petefrt on March 18, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Frilly words designed to distract. That’s all it was.

That what virtually all of his words have been He whispered them in your ear and now you’re swooning.

Allahpundit on March 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM

It seems to me that Obama had that effect on a good deal of the electorate, even those on the Right who would never have voted for him.

Some are saying “how do I know they all don’t hate us?” You don’t. And if you were the individualists that conservative Republicans claim to be, such a thought would never occur.

Do the words ‘content of character’ ring a bell? That’s content of an individual’s character, estimated by known facts–not fantasy or a sonorous baritone or a nice smile or a Ivy degree or the fact that he doesn’t look like anyone’s stereotype of a Black Nationalist. You bought into his outer coating; which was the idea.

He broke your heart. It’ll be okay, though. Perhaps it will cause the more thoughtful among us to ponder what Dr. King really meant.

baldilocks on March 18, 2008 at 7:26 PM

In his many months of stumping, Mr. Obama has rarely bid farewell to an audience the way he did at a morning event in Monaca, Pa. “God bless you and God bless America!” he proclaimed.

save it grifter

windansea on March 18, 2008 at 7:35 PM

And now that real attention is being paid to what he really is, everyone is mad because they’ve been “fooled.”baldilocks on March 18, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Yep. They been BAMBOOZLED:

Lockstein13 on March 18, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Baldi,
I don’t for a minute buy into the notion that the anger at Obama is due to his having duped anyone. There may be some people who fell for all the silky toned crap you described, but the anger is due to the reverse racism and the hatred displayed by Wright and his parishioners towards non-blacks.

I hope this Obama fiasco doesn’t get spun into something about Obama trying to fool people. Obama could have been the successful product of the racial progress that has been made in this country over the past 50 years. Instead, he’s a (once innocent) victim and sought to drag others into his personal hell. This is partly about using the politics of racial hatred to gain power and further that radical separatist agenda of Cone’s (?), and partly about a fucked up half white half black guy who just doesn’t know where to fit in.

As for King, I never knew black audiences needed to learn the message as much as whites did.

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Why are you angry at them? They’re not running for president. It’d be like me being angry at the Christian Identity sorts. Who gives a damn what either think?

On the contrary, you’re angry because he’s one of them

baldilocks on March 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Why wouldn’t you have known that? Why would anyone expect groups of black people to be any less prone to fear and ego-stroking and hard-headedness than any other group?

baldilocks on March 18, 2008 at 7:48 PM

On the contrary, you’re angry because he’s one of them

baldilocks on March 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM

yes, I meant to include him as one of the parishioners. I’m just trying to make a simple point, but perhaps badly. I’m angry at Obama for being part of a hate group, but I’m infuriated that he’s running for Pres. and largely gets a pass from his side on this. I accept that we have racist and anti-semitic senators and reps, and elected officials who hate gays or catholics or whatever. But Obama wanted to be President. That means my President too. I never believed he was qualified in any way whatsoever. I never believed any of his trans-racial rhetoric. I disliked him entirely on policy issues. But now that I see inside to the content of his character, I am furious. I wasn’t once a believer that now feels duped. I simply took him at face value, and didn’t like his politics, but I left his race out of it.

Baldi, I was color blind to the guy. I disliked him for other reasons. And he just slapped me in the face.

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 7:54 PM

baldilocks on March 18, 2008 at 7:48 PM

stupidity. I was still young and unaware when King spoke. I thought he knew something white america didn’t. I only slowly became aware of black racism over the years.

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 7:56 PM

I love Google. Obama+Threw his grandmother under the bus gets 68,900 results.

Big mistake, Barry.

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 7:59 PM

That leaves islam out. They have no equivalent to the Golden Rule and he damn well knows it. Unless his time at the madrassah was just like his time at Trinty where he had out of body experiences and never heard a word. (How did he get thru Harvard like that?)

jemima on March 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM

The other “O”, Oprah, had enough sense to leave that hate mongering pastor years ago. She should have dragged Barry O with her if she had any future aspirations for him.

I just love the two awful choices left to the Dhimmicrat party. Bravo operation chaos!

…Now if only Thompson were the R. nominee.

Mojave Mark on March 18, 2008 at 8:08 PM

He’s still better than the Clitons, he only believes what most dems believe, including them:

It’s Americas fault: if we’d just give the rest of the world our money and leave them alone they would love us and there would be peace eternal

If we’d only bust the oil companies, drug companies, tobacco companies, auto companies and use the military for meals on wheels the world would love us.

If we gave the same gov’t that runs the V.A. hospitals all of our health care responsibilities we’d have health care as good as the rest of the unfree world.

Gotta love these commie/socialist ignoramoses; or not!

dhunter on March 18, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Like I said before, a person can see racism in any thing, if they are so inclined. That does not mean it is racism. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We see what we want to see.

Johan Klaus on March 18, 2008 at 8:14 PM

The TUCC stuff has been out there for a while, JiangxiDad. It’s not as though no one was talking about it. I concentrated on the Kenya part of the Obama narrative, but whenever anyone asked me about TUCC, I said it was a valid subject to explore.

I understand the sense of betrayal. What I’m saying is that the signs were there. Sometimes we see, sometimes we don’t. But blacks are not more or less human–meant in all senses–than anyone else; in spite of what the grievance mongers say.

baldilocks on March 18, 2008 at 8:23 PM

AP,

Hey, agreed with you all along. I’ve haven’t been following politics too long but I’ve always figured someone who gets the Clintons to chase their tails is pretty shrewd.

terryannonline on March 18, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Human rights activist Al Sharpton demands Black only schools as a minority right in addition to Affirmative Action.

Healing…

Finishing with U.S. politics, Sharpton changed focus to schools and reasonable accommodation. He compared the creation of black-focused schools in the U.S. to the institution of affirmative action, and said that both remedy historical inequalities. The creation of black schools was approved in Toronto earlier this year.
But he saved some of his harshest words for the reasonable accommodation debate, ridiculing the arguments of those who advocate a shift towards a policy of assimilation.
Asked whether America is prepared to accept a black president, Sharpton said, “I don’t think America was prepared for black people in the front of the bus.”
Another student asked why Malcolm X was not as celebrated as Martin Luther King Jr., his contemporary in the civil rights movement.
“Malcolm X should be,” Sharpton replied. “They speak to different parts of my soul.”
The Concordia Student Union hosted Sharpton Wednesday as part of their “Great Canadian Speaker Series,” even though Sharpton is not Canadian. Prior speakers have included environmentalist David Suzuki, Liberal leader Stéphane Dion, and former U.S. Vice-President Al Gore, and should include NDP leader Jack Layton by April.

Seperate but equal all over again?

Alden Pyle on March 18, 2008 at 8:34 PM

sanantonian on March 18, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Allah. Please. Comparing John Hagee to the likes of Farrakhan is unworthy, ignorant, and dishonest. sanantonian on March 18, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Besides which, Hagee is going to heaven one day.

Mojave Mark on March 18, 2008 at 8:42 PM

WWHIBGDI?

What would happen if Billy Graham did it?

Arguably the most popular Christian speaker in the world but if tomorrow he spoke the same bile as Rev. Wright we might all gasp but the revulsion would be exactly the same.

There would of course be some apologists and if any of them were candidates for the Presidency their qualification for the job would and should be in question.

For twenty years Obama supported Rev Wright and did nothing about the despicable racist America hate until forced to by expediency.
The moral resolve to take head on the wrong he had to have observed, allowed to guide his family and let stand to incite and indoctrinate the entire congregation.

Brings to mind:

“All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke

Speakup on March 18, 2008 at 8:47 PM

This just about guarantees Hillary will lock up the KKK vote and thats’ about all for Herself. Just listen to the libs orgasm over this pathetic speachifier.

Meanwhile McCain is hot on the trail of Osama Bin Ladin and may just have gotten his # 2.

At least the # three dem is right on the war on terror. What a choice we have in 08.

dhunter on March 18, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Sorry for noticing this, but if Barry is saying these speeches of the Good Rev Dr His Holiness are political, isn’t that something that offends that sacred spearation of curch and state?

Where are the high school liberals, the little pods, bitching and crying about it?

benrand on March 18, 2008 at 8:52 PM

AP, in celebration of Good Friday, “You nailed this one”

Wade on March 18, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Wow.

Of course, a relationship with one’s pastor is different from a family member in the literal sense, but don’t regular church-goers consider their pastor to be on the same level as a family member?

Enrique on March 18, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Yes, but not right away. We don’t join a church and immediately consider the pastor family. The person’s still a stranger until you get to know him/her. During that process, Obama had ample opportunities to leave.

excellent speech. It would have been pretty gutless if he had totally distanced himself from Wright after he married him and his wife and baptized his children just because he got some bad press.

It wouldn’t have been gutless. It would have been stupid. For all the reasons you named it would have looked completely opportunistic and wouldn’t even have been believed. He was friends with him for 20 years. He can’t now try to dump him in order to cool public opinion.

Unfortunately people will still try to put Wright’s words in Obama’s mouth to portray him as the big scary black guy who wants to take your money through reparations.

You’re the first to mention reparations. I’ve never heard that argument. Besides, if all Wright wanted was reparations, he wouldn’t even be controversial. No one’s putting Wright’s words in Obama’s mouth, but how in the world does a leader allow words like that to be said to his children for 20 years without doing something about, especially he believes, as he now claims, that Wright’s words are offensive and divisive?

its sad yet predictable that the right will try to portray him as “too black” to be president of the United States.

crr6 on March 18, 2008 at 4:33 PM

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Esthier on March 18, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Hussein Obama spent 30 minutes on national television defending a black racist pastor, as well as to defend his [continued support] for this black racist pastor, and yet called for the firing of a radio talk show host who had been on air for decades because he made a single “nappy headed ho” comment.

This double standard is simply inexcusable!!!

Obama: “Fire Imus”

Obama, The First White House Contender to Call for Imus’ Firing Over Racial Slur

“I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus,” Obama told ABC News, “but I would also say that there’s nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude.”

By JAKE TAPPER, MSNBC.COM; 11 April, 2007

In an interview with ABC News Wednesday afternoon, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., called for the firing of talk radio host Don Imus. Obama said he would never again appear on Imus’ show, which is broadcast on CBS Radio and MSNBC television.

Obama said he appeared once on Imus’ show two years ago, and “I have no intention of returning.”

Racial Slur Stirs Trouble for Shock Jock
Last week, Imus referred to the Rutgers University women’s basketball team, most of whom are African-American, as “nappy-headed hos.” He has since apologized for his remarks, and CBS and MSNBC suspended his show for two weeks.

“He didn’t just cross the line,” Obama said. “He fed into some of the worst stereotypes that my two young daughters are having to deal with today in America. The notions that as young African-American women — who I hope will be athletes — that that somehow makes them less beautiful or less important. It was a degrading comment. It’s one that I’m not interested in supporting.”

Though every major presidential candidate has decried the racist remarks, Obama is the first one to say Imus should lose his job for them.

His proclamation was the latest in an ever-expanding list of bad news for Imus.

Sponsors, including American Express Co., General Motors Corp., Procter & Gamble Co., and Staples Inc. — have announced they are pulling advertisements from the show for the indefinite future.

Tuesday, the basketball team held a press conference.

“I think that this has scarred me for life,” said Matee Ajavon. “We grew up in a world where racism exists, and there’s nothing we can do to change that.”

“What we’ve been seeing around this country is this constant ratcheting up of a coarsening of the culture that all of have to think about,” Obama said.

“Insults, humor that degrades women, humor that is based in racism and racial stereotypes isn’t fun,” the senator told ABC News.

“And the notion that somehow it’s cute or amusing, or a useful diversion, I think, is something that all of us have to recognize is just not the case. We all have First Amendment rights. And I am a constitutional lawyer and strongly believe in free speech, but as a culture, we really have to do some soul-searching to think about what kind of toxic information are we feeding our kids,” he concluded.

And yet, he loves his black racist pastor.

But Hussein Obama had given his spiritual mentor, “Rev.” Wright, the black anti-American racist, an active role in his presidential campaign???

iam7545 on March 18, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Definately trying for a “have your cake and eat it too” moment. Came up short big time.

Hog Wild on March 18, 2008 at 9:06 PM

The imperior isn’t wearing clothes …..

beachkatie on March 18, 2008 at 9:22 PM

??

I suppose attending a church like that for 20 years might cause one to think that, but I would prefer if this “messiah” wouldnt project that on the rest of us.

aikidoka on March 18, 2008 at 10:00 PM

I liked the bit where he called his gramma racist because she was afraid of black men.

Hell, even Chris Rock admitted that when he’s at the ATM, HE’S afraid of black men (he used another word).

docweasel on March 18, 2008 at 10:09 PM

From Esthier on March 18, 2008 at 8:54 PM
“No one’s putting Wright’s words in Obama’s mouth, but how in the world does a leader allow words like that to be said to his children for 20 years without doing something about, especially he believes, as he now claims, that Wright’s words are offensive and divisive?”
- – – – – -

Exactly. If you believe in teaching your children to be strong, intelligent, empowered, courageous, righteous and compassionate, how do you take them to hear that bilge in CHURCH from a supposed MAN OF GOD every week? Before kids, you might keep going to that church because it’s close, you like the reverend even if he’s a little “off” sometimes, and you know you can just disregard the extremist viewpoint. But when you have kids, you take care what you expose them to. Church is supposedly where you’re inspired to become a better person, to put aside enmity, to work for brotherhood and tolerance… to become Christ-like. But this upstanding candidate is OK with his kids hearing that their nation is racist, evil, and deserved 9/11?

Whoa, I’m having trouble processing that.

A_Nonny_Mouse on March 18, 2008 at 10:55 PM

I think this should be called the “Six Flags” speech, due to the multiple Old Glories arrayed behind Our Savior.

pseudonominus on March 18, 2008 at 10:56 PM

you’re all just a bunch of friggin racists, and you know it.

beefytee on March 18, 2008 at 11:32 PM

All I can say Allah is…wow.

Just…WOW.

rick moran on March 18, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Nothing up my sleeve…Presto!…No doubt about it, I gotta get another hat.
Moose to Squirrel.

2Tru2Tru on March 18, 2008 at 11:45 PM

1. Scripture never tells us to be our brother’s keeper.

2. Jesus said not to throw you pearls before swine.

3. Jesus said not to associate with fake Christians.

4. He also said to love your enemies (but that’s not what Wright preaches).

29Victor on March 18, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Seperate but equal all over again?

Alden Pyle on March 18, 2008 at 8:34 PM

No foolin’. Almost as if they want to erase everything Brown v. Board changed. *shrugs*

eanax on March 19, 2008 at 12:04 AM

A shrewd politician would have kicked Wright under the bus a decade ago.

baldilocks on March 18, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Excellent point. At the very least, a shrewd politician plotting a run for President would have made a point of moving his family to a different church before he started his run. Then he could have spoken well of his former pastor, while being able to easily disassociate himself once these things started coming to light.

At that point, he could have said, “I spoke well of him because he had been my pastor, and there was much about him I appreciated. But he’s no longer my pastor, because I could not accept or tolerate the things he was saying.” Throw in a few troubled looks, maybe a tear or two a la Bill Clinton — what can I say? Clinton ruled at this sort of thing! — and he would be “authentically black” while still standing on principle.

Instead, it appears he badly miscalculated. But he certainly does show some talent for making the best of a bad situation.

theregoestheneighborhood on March 19, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Although that should tell you how much I think this speech sucked. The guy’s jerking all of us around and because he’s a solid prose stylist he gets away with it. Well, not with me. Deeds before words. The time to pinch this turd off was 20 years ago.

Allahpundit on March 18, 2008 at 7:01 PM

He will not get away with it.

He needed to placate the Blacks who are for him, and the others not yet on board, but couldn’t accomplish both. The math will not add up. Not even close, and forget the cigar.

baldilocks, you are an angel.

I’m neither disappointed, nor elated. I had not fallen for him. Politically, and especially economically, he is my enemy and otherwise he was always empty. I predict that he will have harmed racial relations in this country, maybe unintentionally.

The speech is in great part infuriating and he looked forlorn and not presidential, like a lost young kid.

This sums it up for me, to perfection, without the words that wrap around the quote:

If he wanted to lend meaning to race relations he would have held a proactive speech a long time ago. This was just an attemt to save his skinny ars. It didn’t work. Never will. The balloon is popped, Chris Matthews’ Hard….aside.

Entelechy on March 19, 2008 at 1:01 AM

But to throw grandma under the bus??? I wonder how his conversation with her went…”oh ah gramma for the greater good of me being elected I uh…”

I have gone to at least one church considered a “black church” and felt no rancor animosity or racist attitude present. I just saw black people praising God (signing acapella too ) praying in gratitude and love to Jesus whom they love. My church has a good representaion of Black, Asian, Latinos and Caucasians..it’s all good and it’s growing every year…

CCRWM on March 19, 2008 at 1:09 AM

Wow,

The Fred Thompson crowd takes a shot at Obama and he hits back with a home run that pretty much locks up the presidency for him(especially after McCain’s senior moment in Jordan today).

Mission Accomplished!

alphie on March 19, 2008 at 1:18 AM

this nation’s original sin of slavery

Is a very interesting (and loaded) metaphor and it was one of the first lines of his speech, the rest of the speech is built, at least in part, on this foundation.

“Original sin,” is a very specific theological term referring not only to Adam & Eve’s sin in the garden, but also to the state of sin into which all of mankind is born.

This original sin, like an hereditary cancer, is passed down from parent to child, it is (to some extent) part of what it is to be human. If someone gets saved and justified (cleansed of this, and other sins) and they have kids, the kids still inherit original sin and are stained with it until they too are justified. Not only that, but this sin is why people are separated from God before they have even done anything bad, this sin is why they are condemned.

My point is that original sin is a curse that keeps on giving. Even if one generation manages to be free of it, the next generation is still cursed. People are born with it and nothing will ever change that. Never, ever, ever.

According to Obama, slavery is America’s original sin. I wonder where he got that idea?

So, by slavery we are all condemned, as a group and as individuals, even if we haven’t committed any actual sin. And slavery is a curse that will never, ever go away. Even if one generation manages to purge themselves of it; fight a war, suffer through reconstruction, amend the Constitution, support a Civil Rights Movement, etc., the next will have to do it again. Each individual stained with a sin that isn’t theirs and unable to be rid of it without forgiveness from the one whom was offended.

29Victor on March 19, 2008 at 1:19 AM

It isn’t going to appeal to the everyday coal cracker in PA or my grandparents. it was really geared toward a highbrow city folk kind of audience.

I was surprised that Mary Matalin, who was on with Leno, thought it was a good speech and that he did a good job getting his message across.

She also confirmed my fear and Red Pill’s, that Hillary will be the nominee and she will be much harder to defeat than Barry ever could have been.

Thanks Rush, for nothing…good.

AprilOrit on March 19, 2008 at 1:48 AM

Isn’t it ironic that if Yomama were really sincere about addressing the racial divide he so sincerely decries, the real solutions to the problem would be to:

Stop pushing racial hatred and division from pulpits.

Outlaw affirmative action and racial quotas and any other government or civilian program that treats people differently because of race.

Put an end to multi-generational welfare moms my making them work and quit penalizing them for being married.

End all talk of reparations with a speech citing how impossible it would be to identify who’s a ‘victim’ and who’s not because the country is so racially mixed now, nobody is 100 percent anything.

Accept the fact that this country is so racially mixed, there is no real majority of anyone anymore so just get the hell over it.

But, I don’t think this is what Obama has in mind. Anyone who could sit and listin to twenty years of racial and America hatred, doesn’t have anything good in mind for us EVIL white people. His tone in this speech was so angry as if we deserved criticism because of his racist pastor being condemned. What a big set of brass balls he has. And we are to believe that he really want’s to unite and make nice with everyone. What a despicable liar. What a PUNK! HE IS TOAST!

Bikerken on March 19, 2008 at 3:14 AM

When I was young I complained to my father about my old car and the fact that I did’nt make much money. My father said “boy, you should have made better choices”. It took me thirty years to get where my brother got in ten years.

Johan Klaus on March 19, 2008 at 3:19 AM

And another thing. Why does the Pastor Wright condemn America for it’s horrible ‘original sin’ of slavery but doesn’t seem to have a problem with the ONGOING sin of slavery in Africa, where it still exists more than anywhere else in the world? We in America ended slavery in less than two hundred years when it has been going on in the rest of the world for thousands of years and continues to this day. What a lying hypocrite! After all, they are an afro-centric church, right?

Bikerken on March 19, 2008 at 3:32 AM

Obama
“I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community;”

Maybe Not “denounce” but why not try and correct, when you see that something is wrong(not as a whole but large parts of the “culture”), and know of a solution, especially when the solution is so simple as to just look into a mirror rather than to throw stones at everyone else?

Bill Cosby did it, he’s black.(that’s real courage)

Chakra Hammer on March 19, 2008 at 3:47 AM

testing…

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 5:50 AM

29Victor on March 19, 2008 at 1:19 AM

Regarding the “original sin” concept: ver-r-y interesting thought.

I would amend that to “each white person is guilty of a sin he didn’t commit & will remain guilty until descendants of the sinned-against, all their extended family in the ancestral homeland, and generally speaking all non-whites in the third world feel they’ve finally gotten their fair share as reparations and agree to absolve him of his guilt. (And that won’t happen because it’s very convenient to have a bunch of guilty rich whites looking for absolution.)”

I especially liked the “And, apparently, nothing is ever going to ever change this. Nothing. Never, ever, ever.” That’s certainly how I’ve begun to feel: when do we get to stop being blamed for slavery, for racism, for all the evils of the world?

A_Nonny_Mouse on March 19, 2008 at 5:50 AM

Obama Nation: Using Racism In Order To Form A More Socialist Union

Red Pill on March 19, 2008 at 3:59 AM

Nice job, RP, best analysis I’ve found.

Alden Pyle on March 19, 2008 at 7:44 AM

All the fawning MSM mouth pieces who fell for the uber lib talking points disguised as a conversation on race fail to mention that Obama thew up lofty visions and inaccurate stereotypical slights to invoke guilt on his audience and sympathy for him.

Delivered like a 6th grade history report on the evils of whites against blacks in the US of KKK A, he once again, failed to offer any solutions to this problems, but you can bet the rent it will include more/higher taxes, punish whitey, and more handouts to the hallowed “black community”

Alden Pyle on March 19, 2008 at 7:54 AM

29Victor on March 19, 2008 at 1:19 AM

Well stated Victor…. The empty suit is trying to sell us a bag of goods that will simply lead us to more of the same. This man wouldn’t know a “solution” if it hit him square in the nuts.

Keemo on March 19, 2008 at 8:14 AM

He should have stuck with the Reverend Cleophus James down at the Triple Rock Baptist church.

manfriend on March 19, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Question. Where does Obama’s grandma go to get her reputation back?

miles on March 19, 2008 at 9:16 AM

This pretty much sums it up…..

by Roger L. Simon

Barack, I didn’t do it for this.

Barack, I was a civil rights worker… South Carolina, 1966… 22 yrs old … helping old folks register to vote, teaching kids to read and write, directing Raisin in the Sun…

Barack, I didn’t do it for this.

Barack, I dream of my kindergarten best friend Andy from Walden School, Manhattan, born one day after me, shot dead in Mississippi 1964.

Barack, I idolized Stokley Carmichael and the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee.

Barack, I lost the full use of my left hand for life in South Carolina.

Barack, I didn’t do it for this.

Barack, I gave hundreds to the Black Panthers for their children’s breakfast program when I was 25 and a young screenwriter in Echo Park, Los Angeles, even though I knew Huey was crazy and was worried my money might have been going for guns, even though I had my own children in the house when the Panthers came over, their jackets bulging.

Barack, I made excuses for the Black Power Movement even though I knew it was turning racist.

Barack, I didn’t do it for this.

Barack, your speech was bullshit.

Barack, this isn’t about generations.

Barack, this isn’t about the black church.

Barack, this is about a pathological minister whose uncontrolled anger wounds his own people and keeps them down.

Barack, this is about a man who ignored that rage for his own political gain and even now won’t admit a huge mistake and looks for nuance and excuses.

Barack, this about a woman who went on scholarship to Princeton and Harvard and still hates America.

Barack, you say you want Black-Jewish reconciliation but you hung with an anti-Semite.

Barack, I didn’t do it for this.

Keemo on March 19, 2008 at 9:18 AM

Barking Barak does not cure the fact his association with and seeking the solace of a racist Black priest, who was part of the Screwy Lewy, and Malcom X-ray trilogy.

While his (Barking Barak) rhetoric was ample his actions do not show a true resentment or repentance of the 3 Stooges (Wright, Maclom, and Screwy Lewey) teachings. I does show he can make his wife cry on cue like Hitlery.

I have been to several “Come to Jesus Meetings” and it the only thing religious about the meeting is evoking the word of our Lord to justify their spewing ‘Hate Speech’ and to be paid for it via the “pass the plate” and feel great rhetoric.

MSGTAS on March 19, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Sorry haven’t had a chance to read most posts. but..

wouldn’t all the remarks defending Wright also apply to Farakken?

Why not? And if not whats the difference? Is hate from a christian more acceptable then hate from a muslim? I don’t think so, but the left wing media does? How do these people correlate their own belief systems with themselves everyday without their heads exploding? Are they…Islamophobes….?

Call lefty that and see what they say…hypocrites

tottoritodd on March 19, 2008 at 10:01 AM

Obama – Politics as Usual, Hypocritical hack

charlie36r on March 19, 2008 at 10:32 AM

The key thing everyone is missing is that there were so many people out there saying, “What’s wrong with what Rev. Wright is saying?” Those are the people supporting Obama, the ones who don’t disagree with Wright, and he just insulted them without throwing anyone under the bus, and they liked it, while at the same time, shifting the issue from “hate America” to “We of all races should come together”

Masterful Idiocy!

charlie36r on March 19, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Illegal Alien Social Services Cost LA County Over $36 Million
Posted by: The Watchdog in Taxes
Hometown Station

New statistics from the Department of Public Social Services reveal that illegal aliens and their families in Los Angeles County collected over $36 million in welfare and food stamp allocations in January 2008, announced Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich.

Twenty five percent of the all welfare and food stamps benefits are going directly to the children of illegal aliens. Illegals collected over $19 million in welfare assistance for January 2008 and over $16 million in monthly food stamp allocations, for a projected annual cost of $420 million.

“Illegal immigration continues to have a devastating impact Los Angeles County taxpayers,” said Antonovich. “With $220 million for public safety, $400 million for healthcare, and $420 million in welfare allocations, the total cost for illegal immigrants to County taxpayers far exceeds $1 billion a year – not including the millions of dollars for education.”

As for the speech? One 60′s radical making excuses for another one is insulting to 80% of us Americans, since the Civil Rights Act of 1964, have already moved ahead and don’t need to be lectured about race by these Radicals attempting to “gauze” up the impact of their hate speech.

DfDeportation on March 19, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Just what does Obama mean with the phrase…”Stalwart allies like Israel”? Somebody care to elaborate? Michelle? That’s pretty divisive and slanderous stuff…don’t ya think?

DfDeportation on March 19, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Obama’s comments on the IMUS situation last year – Yes he certainly moved the goalposts!

Obama: “Fire Imus”

iam7545 on March 19, 2008 at 10:53 AM

…as much as I loathe his politics, I always liked Obama the man and believed that his devotion to racial reconciliation was sincere. I don’t anymore. …Typical politician, just a bit smarter than the rest. Shows you how naive I am that I’m surprised.

I see I’m in good company, AP. You expressed my feelings exactly. I disagreed vehemently with BHO, but had respect and even admiration for him. Not any more.

Excellent dissection of character.

Rosmerta on March 19, 2008 at 11:33 AM

…Now if only Thompson were the R. nominee.

Mojave Mark

~sigh~
w/ a reality tag for BHO:

lobosan5 on March 19, 2008 at 11:35 AM

You know, I (and every other reasonable American) can think of a rebuttal to every one of Obama’s points. He is basically denying the reality of a Colin Powell or my own boss, an AFrican American. Successful loving black people are anomalies or worse.

And when it comes to race, why do black hustlers, like Obama–who I also liked but now do not respect one bit–or Sharpton, always recommend understanding and “conversation” when it comes to race? Why don’t they go down to the Trinity pulpit and tell the congregation that what they have been preaching is wrong, and that OJ is guilty, that AIDS is spread by sexual activity, and that America is your mother and your father, and you should make your peace with it before you throw away your life in bitterness.

BTW your posts have been brilliant, Allah.

PattyJ on March 19, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Although Barack-o has moved the goal post, this story has legs enough to follow him anywhere.

His racist, anti-American church affiliation is not new. However, certain parts of the MSM decided at this time they were interested in sharing this story with their audience. That is the real news.

A decision was made to call Barack on his affiliation. Before the Pennsylvania election. Maybe Barack-o did not please someone high up the MSM ladder.

Maybe his assistant should have not beaten up Geraldine Ferraro for so much less

Or it was timed to have him spend all his good-will. Wring it out. And then wipe the deck with him. For sure the creeping scurvy of this hate bomb will fester like an incubated virus. Look at how the black community reacts to the N-word. The non-black community has a pretty good aversion to G-d D–n America.

Once you hear it, you don’t forget it. Telling me you can’t hurt the guy’s feelings by avoiding the hate sessions is incendiary. Why hurt Hitler or Mussolini? They are old men and cannot change. They baptized my children.

I saw Hillary has gained 6 additional points lead in PA.

entagor on March 20, 2008 at 2:41 AM

You can not be a Christian and still approve of abortion on demand, approve of gay marriage, illegals amnesty, and much more that he represents that God does not. All the more reason I am voting for McCain.

txstar on March 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Your first sentence is logical. Your second sentence is not. McCain approves of those things!

Huckabee is the candidate whose stand on the issues is consistent with what you claim to want.

Red Pill on March 30, 2008 at 10:16 PM