Obama’s speech: Consider these goalposts moved!

posted at 1:27 pm on March 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

“[R]ace is an issue that I believe this nation cannot afford to ignore right now,” saith the prophet, politely eliding the fact that he was only too happy to ignore it for 20 years when it was being belched at him from the pulpit in its most wretched form and then for another 13 months as a candidate until ABC dropped it on his plate and rubbed his face in it. Now, with his ass in a sling, suddenly it’s time for the great conversation. If any other politician tried a move this transparently cynical, to nudge the conversation away from his own craven tolerance of racial hatred to some sort of redemption narrative by which to hold that against him is to be, in effect, objectively anti-progress, the media would vivisect him. Instead, expect a full-body orgasm on “Hardball” tonight as the thrill in Chris Matthews’s leg spreads accordingly. Our commenters laughed at me the other day for calling him a spectacularly shrewd politician. How do you feel now?

Here’s a blank check to white racists to join the restrictive country club of their choice because, after all, they can no more disown white racism than they can the entire white community:

Like other predominantly black churches across the country, Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety – the doctor and the welfare mom, the model student and the former gang-banger. Like other black churches, Trinity’s services are full of raucous laughter and sometimes bawdy humor. They are full of dancing, clapping, screaming and shouting that may seem jarring to the untrained ear. The church contains in full the kindness and cruelty, the fierce intelligence and the shocking ignorance, the struggles and successes, the love and yes, the bitterness and bias that make up the black experience in America.

And this helps explain, perhaps, my relationship with Reverend Wright. As imperfect as he may be, he has been like family to me. He strengthened my faith, officiated my wedding, and baptized my children. Not once in my conversations with him have I heard him talk about any ethnic group in derogatory terms, or treat whites with whom he interacted with anything but courtesy and respect. He contains within him the contradictions – the good and the bad – of the community that he has served diligently for so many years.

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community.

And there you have it. Gotta take the bitter with the sweet, unless you’re Trent Lott or Louis Farrakhan or John Hagee, whose sweeter parts are quite insufficient indeed as a salve to the bitter. Tom Maguire notes that not every black minister looks kindly upon the idea that “Trinity = black America,” which leaves us — where, exactly? Is Obama suggesting that he had to choose Trinity over a more traditionally Christian black church because of Wright’s racism, because without that he wouldn’t have “the full black experience”? Are the ministers who call Wright out of the mainstream “disowning the black community” by doing so? Maybe:

For the men and women of Reverend Wright’s generation, the memories of humiliation and doubt and fear have not gone away; nor has the anger and the bitterness of those years. That anger may not get expressed in public, in front of white co-workers or white friends. But it does find voice in the barbershop or around the kitchen table. At times, that anger is exploited by politicians, to gin up votes along racial lines, or to make up for a politician’s own failings.

And occasionally it finds voice in the church on Sunday morning, in the pulpit and in the pews. The fact that so many people are surprised to hear that anger in some of Reverend Wright’s sermons simply reminds us of the old truism that the most segregated hour in American life occurs on Sunday morning. That anger is not always productive; indeed, all too often it distracts attention from solving real problems; it keeps us from squarely facing our own complicity in our condition, and prevents the African-American community from forging the alliances it needs to bring about real change. But the anger is real; it is powerful; and to simply wish it away, to condemn it without understanding its roots, only serves to widen the chasm of misunderstanding that exists between the races.

Really? How about understanding its roots but not condemning it? That’s what Obama did for 20 years, implicitly lending himself to the cause of racial division — he finally admits early in the speech that he heard “remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church,” although these appear to be of a lesser grade somehow than the stuff that’s been airing on Fox — and only now with the presidency at stake has he awakened to the perniciousness of silence. Hitchens made a good point at Romney’s expense during the campaign when he noted how conveniently timed some of the Mormon church’s reversals on race have been over the years. If you want conveniently timed racial awakenings, brother, you got it.

Here’s my favorite line. After likening black grievances over racism to white grievances over the economy, which is the Messiah’s magical, transubstantiative way of turning a racial scandal into class warfare, Jesus finally makes a cameo. Does a man who swallowed hateful bilge for two decades out of political convenience really have the balls to lecture other people on the Golden Rule? Oh yes:

In the end, then, what is called for is nothing more, and nothing less, than what all the world’s great religions demand – that we do unto others as we would have them do unto us. Let us be our brother’s keeper, Scripture tells us. Let us be our sister’s keeper. Let us find that common stake we all have in one another, and let our politics reflect that spirit as well.

Unless, of course, your brother or sister designed the AIDS virus at the U.S. government’s behest.

All right, enough. Go read Shelby Steele’s take on Obama’s appeal, which (a) deals with race and (b) is critical of him, and is therefore (c) racist. Partisanship aside, as much as I loathe his politics, I always liked Obama the man and believed that his devotion to racial reconciliation was sincere. I don’t anymore. He exploited Trinity politically to establish his black “authenticity” and then demagogued Clinton for challenging his image as the post-racial candidate, and now the two have bumped up against each other so suddenly it’s time for a circle-squaring conversation that can really only end in electing him president. Typical politician, just a bit smarter than the rest. Shows you how naive I am that I’m surprised.

Update: “That’s akin to OJ saying we could just get past all this double-murder decapitation fuss if we just appoint him California Attorney General.”

Update: A question from Ace: Who’s the intended audience of this speech?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Obama hooked up with Wright in no small measure to bolster his “street cred”. Today he faced a choice:

1. Do the right thing, condemn Wright, and move the country a step forward on race relations, or

2. Defend and excuse Wright to protect his credibility with those who think like Wright does.

He chose unwisely.

cool breeze on March 18, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Admitting you were wrong = Alpha. *respect*

RushBaby on March 18, 2008 at 2:40 PM

“Let us be our brother’s keeper, Scripture tells us.”

Really?…I’m not a biblical scholar but, I always thought that the quote is in the form of the question: “Am I my brother’s keeper?”

That Cain was trying to weasel out of what he’d done.

But, God ain’t that stupid, and replies: “That blood had to come from somewhere, you moron.”

or sumpthin’ like that

franksalterego on March 18, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Maybe I missed it, but Obama never actually said what he specifically found offensive. He spoke in very broad terms, leaving the details to our imagination.

The bottom line is this:

Is he going to quit Trinity United church or will he carry on going (when convenient) and tithing 20 G’s a year? Because while Wright may be gone, the church still preaches black liberation theology, and still has a kook for a pastor, only this time his name is Otis Moss III.

You Tube has removed a video I was going to link to (Hat Tip: Connie) where he blames Ronald Reagan for making rappers at Sugar Hill Records say the “N” word and the “H” word, and blames Reagan for crack cocaine.

Enjoy those sermons, Barry!

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 2:41 PM

I don’t like being preached to or given moral guidance by anyone . . . particularly this dolt.

rplat on March 18, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Obama isnt condeming racism he is justifying it.

William Amos on March 18, 2008 at 2:21 PM

He just threw the entire deck of race cards at us.

Over30 on March 18, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Q.F.T.

RushBaby on March 18, 2008 at 2:43 PM

No offence, but … why?

This information about Obama and his church has been kicking around the web for the last year at least. I’m mystified by all the people on the right with scales only now falling from their eyes.

flenser on March 18, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Obama did what he had to do, try to give reasons for being under Wright’s spiritual guidance for 20 years (good works, didn’t hear the most controversial statements, Wright was shaped by his life circumstances) while distancing himself from the most divisive statements out there (I wasn’t in the pew on x,y,z and didn’t hear a,b,c, I condemn these specific statements).

It won’t be enough. Hillary now has the opening to go for the lead, will be considered the most electable, and will probably sew up the nomination.

Can you believe that at this moment, there is actually a Dem candidate with more baggage than HRC? Wow.

cs89 on March 18, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Man, Shelby Steele is a truly wise and insightful man. After reading his op-ed I have such a clearer picture of Obama and my disconnect with him. How could we vote for someone to run this country when he cannot be his authentic self. Fantastic!

ihasurnominashun on March 18, 2008 at 2:46 PM

The way he thrashed his grandmother was disgusting. He basically said she is a white version of Wright, without offering anything to back it up.

flenser on March 18, 2008 at 2:48 PM

This is an outstanding article (link is in Allah’s article.) The author talks about the “bargin” Barack made with white America. If they don’t bring up the race issue, he wouldn’t bring up the slavery issue. Therefore, white America would feel good about supporting a black candidate without worrying about having to feel guilty for the counrty’s past sins. Issues aren’t important, relieving white guilt is.

Obama in return doesn’t have to deal with the race issue in the campaign, which results in lack of scrutiny of who he really is. Anytime the spotlight gets a little close, he can warn them to be careful, that they’re starting to bring race into this. “Don’t make me have to talk about slavery etc.” The media, being full of guilt-ridden white libs, have fallen for this hook, line, and sinker.

Except now, the bargain is off. Obama himself has made this about race. The public reaction to Wright was about his hate-filled screeds against America first and his racism second. Obama has turned it into a racial issue. It will be interesting to watch this play out.

Mallard T. Drake on March 18, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Of course, a relationship with one’s pastor is different from a family member in the literal sense, but don’t regular church-goers consider their pastor to be on the same level as a family member?

Enrique on March 18, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Not if the pastor spews hate from the pulpit, and you are trying to (oh, I don’t know) run for public office. In that case, and just about any other one I can think of, the pastor should be more like a long-lost fifth cousin.

Rick on March 18, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Admitting you were wrong = Alpha. *respect*

RushBaby on March 18, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Agreed.

/bow

spmat on March 18, 2008 at 2:49 PM

I can’t believe that their wasn’t a predominantly black church in Chicago where the pastor, and congregation, did all the things, except the grievance type hate, that Rev Wright did. All Obama needed to do was find it, but he didn’t, because he, contrary his belief that the individual must take

“full responsibility for [their] own lives – by demanding more from our fathers, and spending more time with our children, and reading to them, and teaching them that while they may face challenges and discrimination in their own lives, they must never succumb to despair or cynicism; they must always believe that they can write their own destiny.”

he is enamored with Rev Wright’s grievance theater and so fully steeped in it to use it to unify our country:

“For the African-American community, that path means embracing the burdens of our past without becoming victims of our past. It means continuing to insist on a full measure of justice in every aspect of American life. But it also means binding our particular grievances – for better health care, and better schools, and better jobs – to the larger aspirations of all Americans — the white woman struggling to break the glass ceiling, the white man whose been laid off, the immigrant trying to feed his family.”

I am amazed that Obama has the audacity to have both those concepts in the same freakin’ paragraph. Never bet with Barack in a game of Twister.

Dusty on March 18, 2008 at 2:50 PM

You cannot separate the man from his politics. All else is subservient to his political agendas. “Racial reconciliation”, whatever that means, is simply one of his political tools.

rplat on March 18, 2008 at 2:52 PM

flenser on March 18, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Yep (and I hate to be repetitive, as I have posted this at other threads) but he failed to mention this biographical detail:

Both Dunhams [his maternal Grandparents] were upset when their daughter Ann married Barack Obama Senior, partcularly after receiving a long, angry letter from the graduate student’s father in Kenya who “didn’t want the Obama blood sullied by a white woman.”

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Nicely written, AP.

jaime on March 18, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Shows you how naive I am that I’m surprised.

Truly. It doesn’t bother me so much that he’s nothing more than an ordinary politician and hypocrite, as it does that he suckered me into believing otherwise.

Tanya on March 18, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Dusty on March 18, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Its the Audacity of hope

William Amos on March 18, 2008 at 2:57 PM

So when he pleads ignorance, he’s just a lying a%% politician like all the rest. Who believes him?

ronsfi on March 18, 2008 at 2:58 PM

So, when should we expect to hear/see/read the Tony Rezko speech from the Big O?

Rick on March 18, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Democrats R Hate. Why can’t we just say it out loud without fear of their intimidations? and why can’t they, once and for all, just admit it? It couldn’t be more obvious – to everyone.

Halley on March 18, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Obama isnt condeming racism he is justifying it.

William Amos on March 18, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Which is why I think this speech ultimately will divide people even more.

It told Whites that this is the way all blacks are and all black churches are, get used to it, it’s your fault (or at least your white ancestors).

His supporters have been filling the airwaves with that same message since the story broke. “This is the way Blacks in American are, this is the way all balck churches are, there’s nothing wrong with it. You just don’t understand.”

The justification may work with liberal whites but I can’t imagine it’s going to work with the “regular folks” as O’Reilly calls them…

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2008 at 2:58 PM

The only “race” that seems to have race issues are black Americans, who even refer to themselves as “Black America”. No other group, i.e. Mexicans(who by the way, if they encountered racism could always walk right back across the border),Southeast Asians, Southwest Asians, Europeans and even true Africans ever says anything. Racism is perpetuated by black hate mongers and race peddlers, black politicians, and liberal main stream media. If it’s that bad, maybe Obama can restart the “Back to Africa” movement and take Oprah and her money, and Rev. Racist right along with him. Without “Whitey” to beat them down at every turn, I’m sure they could create their progressive socialist Utopia much quicker than a functioning government in Iraq, and show the rest of the world how it’s really done.Oprah can provide many of the emigres with welfare for a long time. I’m sick of the word racism, I don’t think of people in terms of color. The only color that matters to me in America is green. Greedy you might say, but I think the left loves green too, especially when it’s taken from someone else for the “greater good”. The Founding Fathers are crying right now. This is not what the Colonists were fighting for…Obama has been playing the race card from the beginning. As I’ve stated before, if a white 46 year old with 2 years in the Senate with a majority of his votes being “present” were to run, he would have been out quicker than the “Silky Pony”.If the race merchants were to stop mentioning race for the effect of white guilt,race wouldn’t be an issue. The Civil Rights Act made color irrelevant, while black interests keep it alive and well.I read a couple of posts on Zsa Zsa Huffington’s site and they were saying they wept during the speech where Fauxbama said pretty much nothing as usual.Tools………Let’s move the election up six months and let McCain win this thing already. Between the “Empty Socialist Suit”, and “Lady Glacier”, I’m BORED………BTW, the speech sucked…..

adamsmith on March 18, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Remember Halle Berry going on and on after she won the Oscar about how she was black and it had been so many years of Oscar with no black best actress/actor, blah blah? The only parent who came to the Oscars was her white mother who raised her after her abusive black father abandoned them both.

That was around the time I learned about this politician named Barak Obama who had been abandoned by his black father and raised by the white family. He went on to write a book all about his father and his own blackness, barely mentioning his white mother and grandparents who actually cared enough to raise him.

No wonder Halle Berry is so enamored of Obama, I guess.

funky chicken on March 18, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Well said, Allahpundit!
Because of Hussein Obama’s baggage and Rodham Clinton’s baggage, I don’t think either of them can beat McCain in November.
I don’t think there are enough people who want 8 more years of Billary and all that comes with that. Nor I think are there enough black knee-jerk Democrat voters and other hard leftists who’d vote for His Wonderfulness.

DavePa on March 18, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Don’t fall for that. barry listened to this guys tapes while he was in college and then sought him out as his pastor and mentor. barry and his wife attend that church because they believe in the message. Don’t give them the out of claiming it was a poor politically inspired move.

peacenprosperity on March 18, 2008 at 3:06 PM

No offence, but … why?

Why? is right. You can’t get the feel for barry listening to the soundbites on tv. He always throws race and class warfare into his speaches. He just isn’t as blunt as his wife and his mentor wright.

peacenprosperity on March 18, 2008 at 3:09 PM

This was a great speech. It reminded me of the great “Wasn’t Me” Speech by Eddi Murphy/Raw. Same affect.

tomas on March 18, 2008 at 3:12 PM

So….if I understand O-Ba-Ma Char-La-Tan corectly, he’s telling us:

HE learned to be a uniter and transcend racial divisiveness by embracing and choosing as mentor a hate-mongering, anti-American spewing, race-baiting monster…and if – only if! – we not-quite-guilt-ridden-enough (implied: WHITE) Americans would just “get with the victim program,” we could all just get along after we give all our money to fund all sorts of Federal goodies for all those other victims.

Well. Let me think about this profoundly.OK. Enough time. What a load of crap!

I can only pray that the American public, should they be given the choice in November, reject this charlatan.

———————-

I’m L13, white, rich and privileged, and I approved this massage.

Lockstein13 on March 18, 2008 at 3:12 PM

The churches should be teaching personal responsibility if they want the black community to thrive. How can a community be strong and prosperous with a 70% illegitimacy rate. These girls and women are too dependent on the government to be successful and they pass this dependency on to their children. The white community has nothing to do with this.

Rose on March 18, 2008 at 3:14 PM

i find it amusing reading Derbyshire’s post on Obama/Wright at the Corner…in light of his pathetic spin of the Paul Newsletters and neo-nazi stuff in the past. He’s done a 180 on the substance side of it.

jp on March 18, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Remember kids, when selecting a church you must always choose the one with 10,000+ members so you can use those rubes when you run for political office… all that holy stuff is secondary.

ScottMcC on March 18, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Well I guess that is that. Nothing more to see hear. On MSNBC they are trying to figure out where we should rank this speech in American history. Give me a break. Of course, that is fine with me I want to see him nominated. Can you say Reagen democrats come home. Early GE prediction: Mccain 54% Obama 42%

chief on March 18, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Holy smoke, if an all White person said any of that nonsense it would be hate speech. We used to attend a church that was primarily Black Americans, and they were just Americans attending church. There were also Africans that attended dressed in their native country trappings. It was a beautiful site. Desmond Tutu’s niece sat in the pew in front of my family. No gang-bangers, drug dealers or any of what Obama seems to rate a typical Black folk. What an awful picture to paint.

The more the prophet peals back the race onion, the worse it gets. Keep pealing, dude, keep on pealin’.

Hening on March 18, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Obama employed the “Jack Ryan defense” from the movie “A Clear and Present Danger”. In the movie when a murdered drug dealer turned out to be a friend of the President, Ryan advised him not to run away from his friendship but to embrace it and the issue of his association would die. Unlike the movie Obama is embracing a living anti-American, anti-semitic, white hating racist that he has acknowledged is his friend and mentor. Obama’s wife expounds Wrights anti-Americanism. Obama is a race hustler. He is just slicker than Al Sharpton.

camerc on March 18, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Its the Audacity of hope

William Amos on March 18, 2008 at 2:57 PM

The audacity of ‘Change’

Hening on March 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM

He and Michele ain’t gonna make us start eatin’ chitlins and grits now as pennance, are they?! I hate that stuff. It’s strange, but I don’t feel hateful and racist in thinking that perhaps Obama is being intellectually dishonest and his “preacher” kinda hates whitey. Maybe I am…

Wyznowski on March 18, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Terrorism is an issue that I believe this nation cannot afford to ignore right now, we are at war!

Obama, is only worried about his political future, NOT the country.

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 3:31 PM

“Spectacularly shrewd?!!” I don’t think so. I think his good fortune is thanks to a media who so wants to believe in him.

clark smith on March 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM

[Hening on March 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM]

The Audacity of the Okey Doke.

Dusty on March 18, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Ok so Osamabama’s white grandma was afraid of black men (and rightly so if one looks into the statistics of black-on-white crime in America which are ignored by msm) then AALLLLLL whites are racists.

Uhhuh. Instead of repudiating David Duke Wright’s statements he says “Hey, we’re black and angry so it’s OK”

The candidate who was supposed to transcend race, now find his campaign totally about race.

Alden Pyle on March 18, 2008 at 3:35 PM

The audacity of bodaciousness.

Akzed on March 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM

flenser on March 18, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Too true, not only that, but he is being racist still. I am offeneded by the fact that he considers black and white racism differently. And where are Jeese “spit in whiteys food” Jackson and Al “Tawana Brawley” Sharpton on this??? Why is their outrage!?!?!

PatriotPete on March 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM

The race card is particularly ugly because of all the races in the US, people are people that span a wide range of opinions and beliefs. Unfortunately, though, no other race has been able to claim the bottom of the ladder as long as the blacks have. At every turn, wheather it is Rap music, speech, acidemic accomplishment, overcoming keeping a good man down, financial sucess, upward mobility in society, etc, the only general avenues for upward mobility and success is sports and entertainment. American blacks have done better than any other blacks in the world, but they still are not up to speed with the general public. They need to quit making excuses and blaming everyone else and re-evaluate what they can do to rise to the ocasion through changes in their “blame everyone else approach”

Still, the black community needs to initiate a complete overhaul to turn the corner and clean up their act for the beterment of all Americans.

saiga on March 18, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Well it looks like Obama is truly an empty suit and the only people this speech will matter to are those that want to buy an empty suit,in essence the Obamaniacs!

I really thought Obama was genuine,a breathe of new political fresh air for Liberals,however it appears by
Obama’s mentor and spiritual guide the Rev. Wright has
said some very racist and insidous comments about America
911,and Israel.

Obama came on the political scene claiming Hope and Change,
he came with the conviction of change,less victimhood and
race baiting.He came with Hope,he was different,he claimed
to be above Politics,a new fresh air for the Liberal party!

We find Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have told lies and
were Political opportunists,Obama came in appearing to be above the devisive opportunists,however alot of people got
sucked into the Obama vortex of Change and Hope,and now
the light of truth is shining brightly!

The problem for Obama is that in his speech,he did not denounce his spiritual leader Mr.Wright,he claimed he
couldn’t seperate Mr.Wright or the black community from
himself!

Well I almost bought the farm,I said in previous threads
Obama was different,Obama said and acted like MLK,however
he seems to be more stuck not in the 60′s,but 1860′s!

With all the Hope and Change,I find out Obama is the same
if not worst the AL or Jesse,and yet Obama claimed different
and thats the real, AUDACITY!

canopfor on March 18, 2008 at 3:43 PM

[Akzed on March 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM]

LMAO

Dusty on March 18, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Since Obama failed so miserably on his chance to turn this around, he should now take another approach. He should “come out” and go all Malcolm X on the US.

He should always have his posse around him like Sharpton, Jackson, Wright, Farrakhan, militant anti-US/white rappers, his wife (not holding back), etc.. Add lots of anti-white/military socialist Marxist speeches on Youtube and Lib universities, and toss in a little Code Pink and Boobs not Bombs and you’ve got some real entertainment.

I’ll provide the popcorn, drinks, CNN on large widescreen, and everyone’s invited!

nottakingsides on March 18, 2008 at 3:45 PM

The Audacity of Hypocrisy.

The only hope Obama has is that the MSM will abandon Hillary! and throw all their lying, conniving efforts behind his candidacy.

So, basically, it’s 50/50.

Merovign on March 18, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Obama had to choose who he threw under the bus. He chose to throw decency under. He now rides comfortably with his hate mongering pastor in first class. Enjoy the ride Barry O. It will be glorious and short.

Mojave Mark on March 18, 2008 at 3:51 PM

How many white presidential candidates would be able to have their pastor, close personal freind and spiritual leader belong to a white supremacy organization and smugly brush aside any criticism by saying “you wouldn’t understand, it’s a white thing.” and have the media clap, put their hand on their chests and nod their head with a tear in their eye.

Alden Pyle on March 18, 2008 at 3:54 PM

…”Trinity’s services are full of raucous laughter and sometimes bawdy humor. They are full of dancing, clapping, screaming and shouting that may seem jarring to the untrained ear.” My, my, my…I’ve heard wild-eyed anti-Americanism directly from the freak, Ani Difranco and if my ears weren’t trained before that atrocious performance, they are now. I guess I have something to thank her for, but Obama, well, I owe him more for ‘splaining black racism so well. It’s been a long time since i saw Roots.
Well done AP, very well put and your humility is duly noted.

Christine on March 18, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Was that his grandmother’s name, Decency?

peacenprosperity on March 18, 2008 at 3:57 PM

The more I let this speech sink in – in particular, the parts about Rev. Wright – the more Obama reminds me of former Washington, DC Mayor Marion Barry.

Obama’s kind of “black brotherhood/family” prattling certainly is not as crude and direct…but it does reek of the same, “you’ve just got to accept that’s how we are, and you’re different. If you dare to judge us, you’re racist!” filth.

And he talks about acting as a unifier. OBAMA = CHARLATAN

There are more than a handful of atrocious demagogues in the history of mankind and I’m sure, if you wanted to, you could also find many fine traits in these individuals. That doesn’t make them any less repugnant, nor does associating with them for 20 years make one any less suspect.

_________________________

I’m L13, white, rich, and privileged, and I approved this massage.

Lockstein13 on March 18, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Well written post. No question that Obama is a very skilled politician.

Indeed. He has used race against Clinton and played along it’s lines in a way that should leave Sharpton and Jackson, former candidates themselves, in awe. I had thought the outrage genuine due to the Kennedy endorsements, but obviously what he said today with the balance of evidence proves that thought wrong.

Spirit of 1776 on March 18, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Well, it seems to have worked with the people it needed to work with. I just checked some lefty blogs, and they’re all in tears. He’s even more perfect now than he was before.

Nauseating.

capitalist piglet on March 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Excuse me, when has race NOT been an often discussed issue in the country? And THANK YOU so much for kicking this discussion off that we`ve been having for the past 200 or so years!

ThePrez on March 18, 2008 at 4:28 PM

excellent speech. It would have been pretty gutless if he had totally distanced himself from Wright after he married him and his wife and baptized his children just because he got some bad press. Unfortunately people will still try to put Wright’s words in Obama’s mouth to portray him as the big scary black guy who wants to take your money through reparations. its sad yet predictable that the right will try to portray him as “too black” to be president of the United States.

crr6 on March 18, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Like other predominantly black churches across the country, Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety – the doctor and the welfare mom, the model student and the former gang-banger. ….. He contains within him the contradictions – the good and the bad – of the community that he has served diligently for so many years.

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community.

Sure you can, Obama, you liar. Despite your painting Wright as some super-metaphor representing heterogeneous Black America, and all its varied views – he is nothing of the sort. He is NOT the entirety of the “black community,” he is merely one black man with a following – a man and a congregation with ugly, vile, malicious ideas. This is all part of your eloquent subterfuge – you dance around the issues without really saying anything of substance or committing to a stance.

jsingood on March 18, 2008 at 4:35 PM

It takes a big man to side with his racist Reverend instead of his grandmother who has help raise him and loves him more than anything in this world…hmmm

d1carter on March 18, 2008 at 4:36 PM

ThePrez on March 18, 2008 at 4:28 PM

you’d be right except many conservatives have been preaching that everything is all fine and dandy and we don’t need to mention race anymore for the last 20 some years. Yay we should all be color-blind! Remember what MLK said?!? There’s no inequality amongst the races! Any racial division is perpetrated by “race baiters” and racism is now mostly against whites etc etc

crr6 on March 18, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Admitting you were wrong = Alpha. *respect*

RushBaby on March 18, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Yep, he has not exactly been hiding the fact he adored Obama, so it is refreshing to see him admit it.

WoosterOh on March 18, 2008 at 4:37 PM

If he gets nominated the Democrats may end up with an incurable case of buyer’s remorse. Even if the über liberals of the Democrat party buy this line, most sane people won’t.

Annar on March 18, 2008 at 4:46 PM

crr6 on March 18, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Exactly! Now if he had the skin shade say of Condoleeza Rice, he’d be more acceptable. Still, that’s progress of a sort.

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Obama is really scary. I believe that we just don’t know enough about him and the media is covering it up because they are in the tank. I hope the people will wake up and realize that he’s got serious problems and should not be elected President. Can you imagine he’s not only far to the left but very divisive, what he would do to the country.

mariloubaker on March 18, 2008 at 4:50 PM

This guy is such a lying worm.

What he said about Imus

And I am a constitutional lawyer and strongly believe in free speech, but as a culture, we really have to do some soul-searching to think about what kind of toxic information are we feeding our kids,” he concluded.

benrand on March 18, 2008 at 4:52 PM

On point comment from Jack Burton at ACE.

I know it’s not PC, but I don’t have a damn thing to apologize for to these hate hustlers. I didn’t own slaves, don’t discriminate and don’t endorse our past in regards to slavery.

I’ll forget you are black when you quit reminding me.

Alden Pyle on March 18, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Can you imagine 4 years of this $h!t? At least it will keep our minds off $5 gas and no food on the table if every week we have another RACIST ALERT! from Osama-bama or Obama-mama.

Alden Pyle on March 18, 2008 at 4:57 PM

NoBama is a three faced liar who is talking out if his ass thats in the sling .

so next time he tries to play the uniter we see he only wants to unit himself with his racist mentor . remember that the next time the american people say no amnesty you freaking tool.

Mojack420 on March 18, 2008 at 4:57 PM

How can a man who is so “in touch” with the human experience and racial divisions of our society,explain why he sat in a church that taught separatism and hurled bigoted remarks from the pulpit for 20 years?
The fact that Obama is so well educated and supposedly dedicated to bringing everyone together with the “Audacity of Hope” makes the fact he participated and sought council with such bigotry more damning.

I would also like for Obama to explain how he could be so
dedicated to freeing people from oppression and the rights of people to live in harmony,but think that freeing 25 million people from a genocidal terrorist dictator like
Saddam Hussein is such a mistake and the “worst foreign
policy”decision of the last century.

Obama’s actions do not match his rhetoric.

Baxter Greene on March 18, 2008 at 5:01 PM

One aspect of this that Obama hasn’t touched on and has not been asked about clarification is straightforward. If the comments by Wright in the videos being circulated are just examples of his infrequent human imperfection then why haven’t an even greater number of videos surfaced that show the warm and fuzzy side that Obama says kept Wright and he close? And, why hasn’t Obama brought these forward to show there is balance in what he says. I personally think the answer is clear, there aren’t any.

mrveritas on March 18, 2008 at 5:04 PM

crr6 on March 18, 2008 at 4:33 PM

So much wrong with this – but bad press? Are you liberals so unaccustomed to honest press coverage that you automatically judge anything negative about your politicians and heroes to be “bad press”? Try “press”, period. It’s a novel concept.

And you can ignore the fact that Obama deeply associated himself with this vile man if you want to, but that doesn’t make it any less a fact.

P.S. My pastor is black, and he’s a great man – not a hate monger. It’s not impossible to find a good and decent black or mixed-race church, if that’s what you’re looking for.

capitalist piglet on March 18, 2008 at 5:05 PM

crr6 on March 18, 2008 at 4:33 PM

I don’t think anybody is “too black” to be President. I do think Obama is too liberal (Socialist, leftist, or whatever term you prefer) to be President.

AZCoyote on March 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM

(wagging his finger) “I did not have religion with that Rev’rund!”

Lockstein13 on March 18, 2008 at 5:12 PM

AZCoyote on March 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM

That simply cannot be. Since there’s nothing wrong with Obama, it’s the only explanation left.

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 5:13 PM

I think that a large number of people percieve words to be racist out of misunderstandings. There have been a lot of German speaking people in the U.S. and the German word for a person from Africa is Neger which has nothing to do with race. Also, when I was young, people refered to anyone below upper middle age as boy, as in good ol’ boy. In other words, I think that anything can be percieved as racism.

Johan Klaus on March 18, 2008 at 5:25 PM

The way I took the Grandmother part of the speech was that a white person first taught him about racism so he is ok with it from his pastor. Ha!

UncleZeb on March 18, 2008 at 5:30 PM

UncleZeb on March 18, 2008 at 5:30 PM

It was interesting that he mentioned his grandmother in that context. In his book (the first one, IIRC), he wrote about getting angry at his grandmother because she had been afraid of a black man at the bus stop where she was waiting for a bus. But Obama also admitted that he later found himself fearing a black man on the street. I noticed he didn’t put that anecdote in his speech. Also, it apparently wasn’t the white granny who first expressed some racist views; Obama’s black grandpa wrote Obama’s daddy a letter objecting to Obama, Sr., marrying a white woman (because that would “sully” the Obama bloodlines, according to grandpa). (Buy Danish had the link to that in one of her posts today.)

I think S. Steele is right. Obama is a man who is deeply conflicted about his own racial identity. He needs to be in therapy somewhere, not running for President.

AZCoyote on March 18, 2008 at 5:43 PM

I do not care what color any candidate is, Obama is still too weak to lead America. I also question his christianity when he is so liberal. You can not be a Christian and still approve of abortion on demand, approve of gay marriage, illegals amnesty, and much more that he represents that God does not. All the more reason I am voting for McCain.

txstar on March 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM

crr6 on March 18, 2008 at 4:33 PM

No, the Clintons (and their “white” liberal supporters) are the ones doing that. Your comment is right, but it’s the Left that’s acting as you described.

Rick on March 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Obama has joined the Sharpton and Jackson “Race Hustlers Association”. His speech made his campaign about his race. Try to imagine John McCain running on the “White Man” platform.

Blacks keep digging up slavery and the 50s and 60s because it’s been profitable to them. Jackson gets to shake down corporations and others get to shake down the guilty white liberals.

You don’t hear Americans, Eurpoeans and Japanese wanting reparations for 1941. They’ve moved on and both have prospered and have become good allies. If blacks really want race to cease as an issue, it is they who have to stop making it one.

Obama has played his hand wrong and now he’s toast.

orlandocajun on March 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM

“If blacks really want race to cease as an issue, it is they who have to stop making it one”.

Well said.

Johan Klaus on March 18, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Yes if we ignore the problem it will just go away. Probably one of the most profoundly ignorant sentiments seen today but disturbingly prevalent.

crr6 on March 18, 2008 at 6:03 PM

This guy is such a lying worm.

What he said about Imus

benrand on March 18, 2008 at 4:52 PM

I haven’t had a chance to read all the posts . This one
gets a super mega ditto. And How can any voter trust this
turkey to make the right choose in the Oval office. . .He
can’t even tell his so-called friends they are wrong. Isn’t that Right Jeremiah . The guy makes me sick. . they both do
and his wife. Imagine the unrest in this country if he’s
elected. Scary folks.. ..Scary

Texyank on March 18, 2008 at 6:04 PM

I have an extremely short commute, but one talk show I was listening to out of the Triad area of NC (Greensboro/Winston-Salem) had several black callers on. They were more upset that he tried to convey the message that all black churches are the same as his (where the preacher cusses and uses god’s name in vain). I’ll say it again, Obama doesn’t realize that America is nothing like the southside of Chicago. And thank god for that.

SouthernGent on March 18, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Hilarious, the male half of ShillBilly called what happened in SC a mugging.

ShillBilly in the White House is even scarier…

AprilOrit on March 18, 2008 at 6:11 PM

crr6, you must be either black or a guilty white person. What problem are you talking about? Probably the most breathtakingly liberal/stupid sentiment seen today but disturbingly prevalent in blacks and guilty whites.

There’s no other ethnic group that profits from race better than blacks.

orlandocajun on March 18, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Wow! Now you’re comparing him to OJ? That seems a bit much, even for the good people here at Hot Air. That would be accepted if you are also willing to compare John McCain, George W. Bush, or Dick Cheney to Charles Manson. I don’t think that that would be acceptable, as I don’t think that Obama should be compared to OJ.

I try to read several websites and blogs from both sides, and I am beginning to see some of the nastiest rhetoric being widely accepted. I understand that blogging and commenting breeds outlandish and divisive rhetoric, because of the virtually, anonymous nature, but I ask myself all of the time, “Is this America?” How do we bring ourselves to hate so visciously? And it’s everywhere, not just right and not just left, everywhere.

My questions to anyone who would like answer is this:

Is this hate real? Or is this just part of the “game” of politics?

Also, is anyone else uncomfortable with the direction of “American-style” politics?

sandman on March 18, 2008 at 6:29 PM

AP, that was probably the most partisan-hackish post I’ve ever read by you, and I’ve been reading your stuff since 2004.

I always like reading your commentary because it’s 97% lean analysis, and only 3% demagoguery, which is the highest content level I’ve seen around the ‘sphere. But this above post is the worst you’ve ever written, IMHO.

I think it was a beautiful speech. Entirely empty of policy, but beautiful nontheless. Why is it so hard for you to admit that?

OK fine, don’t admit it. But at the least don’t rip Obama to shreds over a genuine attempt at reducing this stupid racial rhetoric.

AlexB on March 18, 2008 at 6:40 PM

His speech sucked. Frilly words designed to distract. That’s all it was. He whispered them in your ear and now you’re swooning.

Allahpundit on March 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM

There’s no other ethnic group that profits from race better than blacks.

good lord you’re ignorant. There’s no problem in the black community? Blacks have 16% the average wealth of whites. 3x as many are below the poverty line. but they sure benefit from their race right? Get a grip you live in a dreamworld. Seriously, look up some more inequality statistics and tell me who has it easier in America today. Sure they benefit from government programs as do women, but as the most systematically oppressed race in American history, why shouldn’t they?

crr6 on March 18, 2008 at 6:46 PM

The same. A shrewd politician would have kicked Wright under the bus a decade ago.

baldilocks on March 18, 2008 at 6:54 PM

crr6 on March 18, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Yes, but the implications are that whites are the cause. What if you removed the whites from the picture? How would the black standard of living improve? Can you provide an example of such a paradise?

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 6:55 PM

I appreciate the acknowledgment that I try to keep the hackery at a minimum, incidentally. Although that should tell you how much I think this speech sucked. The guy’s jerking all of us around and because he’s a solid prose stylist he gets away with it. Well, not with me. Deeds before words. The time to pinch this turd off was 20 years ago.

Allahpundit on March 18, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Allahpundit on March 18, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Doh! LMAO!

Chakra Hammer on March 18, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Deeds before words. The time to pinch this turd off was 20 years ago.

Allahpundit on March 18, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Obama might have gotten away with this if he had said that when he was young and stupid he was persuaded by Wright’s demagoguery, but he matured and put the anger and rage behind him.

He could have written a few letters to Jeremiah, urging him to get past his divisive ways.

Woulda coulda shoulda.

Buy Danish on March 18, 2008 at 7:11 PM

I just listened to the speech (2) times. The man can deliver a speech, that’s for sure. Problem I have with this speech is not the delivery, it is the context (or lack of). The man managed to describe his white grandmother as a really sweet racist, but never described the good reverend White as a really sweet racist. If fact, Obama had little or nothing to say about the “hatred for county” screeching out of the mouth of the reverend; Obama had little to say about the “racist views towards white people” screeching out of the mouth of the reverend. Obama provided cover for his church and it’s leader; nothing more.

I was a tall skinny white boy with the misfortune of having been named Kim. I was picked on, beat on, spit on, called names such as Kimberly Clark toilet paper face; many other boys & girls disliked me, the reasons don’t matter. This is a dynamic of life that we all face growing up with others. White, black, brown; growing up can be a bitch… My father would have no part of my self-pity, my father told me to have some pride and go about my business and given the opportunity, squash these little shits on the athletic field. Was I the victim of racism? Was the white man the reason for these people treating me this way? Was the black man the reason? What a bunch of crap.

Obama = empty suit