Obama’s speech: Consider these goalposts moved!

posted at 1:27 pm on March 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

“[R]ace is an issue that I believe this nation cannot afford to ignore right now,” saith the prophet, politely eliding the fact that he was only too happy to ignore it for 20 years when it was being belched at him from the pulpit in its most wretched form and then for another 13 months as a candidate until ABC dropped it on his plate and rubbed his face in it. Now, with his ass in a sling, suddenly it’s time for the great conversation. If any other politician tried a move this transparently cynical, to nudge the conversation away from his own craven tolerance of racial hatred to some sort of redemption narrative by which to hold that against him is to be, in effect, objectively anti-progress, the media would vivisect him. Instead, expect a full-body orgasm on “Hardball” tonight as the thrill in Chris Matthews’s leg spreads accordingly. Our commenters laughed at me the other day for calling him a spectacularly shrewd politician. How do you feel now?

Here’s a blank check to white racists to join the restrictive country club of their choice because, after all, they can no more disown white racism than they can the entire white community:

Like other predominantly black churches across the country, Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety – the doctor and the welfare mom, the model student and the former gang-banger. Like other black churches, Trinity’s services are full of raucous laughter and sometimes bawdy humor. They are full of dancing, clapping, screaming and shouting that may seem jarring to the untrained ear. The church contains in full the kindness and cruelty, the fierce intelligence and the shocking ignorance, the struggles and successes, the love and yes, the bitterness and bias that make up the black experience in America.

And this helps explain, perhaps, my relationship with Reverend Wright. As imperfect as he may be, he has been like family to me. He strengthened my faith, officiated my wedding, and baptized my children. Not once in my conversations with him have I heard him talk about any ethnic group in derogatory terms, or treat whites with whom he interacted with anything but courtesy and respect. He contains within him the contradictions – the good and the bad – of the community that he has served diligently for so many years.

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community.

And there you have it. Gotta take the bitter with the sweet, unless you’re Trent Lott or Louis Farrakhan or John Hagee, whose sweeter parts are quite insufficient indeed as a salve to the bitter. Tom Maguire notes that not every black minister looks kindly upon the idea that “Trinity = black America,” which leaves us — where, exactly? Is Obama suggesting that he had to choose Trinity over a more traditionally Christian black church because of Wright’s racism, because without that he wouldn’t have “the full black experience”? Are the ministers who call Wright out of the mainstream “disowning the black community” by doing so? Maybe:

For the men and women of Reverend Wright’s generation, the memories of humiliation and doubt and fear have not gone away; nor has the anger and the bitterness of those years. That anger may not get expressed in public, in front of white co-workers or white friends. But it does find voice in the barbershop or around the kitchen table. At times, that anger is exploited by politicians, to gin up votes along racial lines, or to make up for a politician’s own failings.

And occasionally it finds voice in the church on Sunday morning, in the pulpit and in the pews. The fact that so many people are surprised to hear that anger in some of Reverend Wright’s sermons simply reminds us of the old truism that the most segregated hour in American life occurs on Sunday morning. That anger is not always productive; indeed, all too often it distracts attention from solving real problems; it keeps us from squarely facing our own complicity in our condition, and prevents the African-American community from forging the alliances it needs to bring about real change. But the anger is real; it is powerful; and to simply wish it away, to condemn it without understanding its roots, only serves to widen the chasm of misunderstanding that exists between the races.

Really? How about understanding its roots but not condemning it? That’s what Obama did for 20 years, implicitly lending himself to the cause of racial division — he finally admits early in the speech that he heard “remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church,” although these appear to be of a lesser grade somehow than the stuff that’s been airing on Fox — and only now with the presidency at stake has he awakened to the perniciousness of silence. Hitchens made a good point at Romney’s expense during the campaign when he noted how conveniently timed some of the Mormon church’s reversals on race have been over the years. If you want conveniently timed racial awakenings, brother, you got it.

Here’s my favorite line. After likening black grievances over racism to white grievances over the economy, which is the Messiah’s magical, transubstantiative way of turning a racial scandal into class warfare, Jesus finally makes a cameo. Does a man who swallowed hateful bilge for two decades out of political convenience really have the balls to lecture other people on the Golden Rule? Oh yes:

In the end, then, what is called for is nothing more, and nothing less, than what all the world’s great religions demand – that we do unto others as we would have them do unto us. Let us be our brother’s keeper, Scripture tells us. Let us be our sister’s keeper. Let us find that common stake we all have in one another, and let our politics reflect that spirit as well.

Unless, of course, your brother or sister designed the AIDS virus at the U.S. government’s behest.

All right, enough. Go read Shelby Steele’s take on Obama’s appeal, which (a) deals with race and (b) is critical of him, and is therefore (c) racist. Partisanship aside, as much as I loathe his politics, I always liked Obama the man and believed that his devotion to racial reconciliation was sincere. I don’t anymore. He exploited Trinity politically to establish his black “authenticity” and then demagogued Clinton for challenging his image as the post-racial candidate, and now the two have bumped up against each other so suddenly it’s time for a circle-squaring conversation that can really only end in electing him president. Typical politician, just a bit smarter than the rest. Shows you how naive I am that I’m surprised.

Update: “That’s akin to OJ saying we could just get past all this double-murder decapitation fuss if we just appoint him California Attorney General.”

Update: A question from Ace: Who’s the intended audience of this speech?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I just wonder why he chose to give a prepared speech rather than have a presser where he would be asked questions? Anyone?

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Allah: should ‘eliding’ be ‘eluding’?

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 1:29 PM

And stop bugging me!

drjohn on March 18, 2008 at 1:30 PM

In other words, he’s not a racist – you are!

Steve McCullough on March 18, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Obama = just another politician.

Please Lord, let him fall from glory!

socalconservative on March 18, 2008 at 1:32 PM

whew!!! I feel better now.

Thank you prophet.

Roger Waters on March 18, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Allah: should ‘eliding’ be ‘eluding’?

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 1:29 PM

I’ll be bold and answer for Allah: Nope.

Typhoon on March 18, 2008 at 1:34 PM

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Is it because Obama struggles when asked more than 8 questions at a time and when aforementioned questions are not soft balls thrown by an adoring (for the most part) media?
There, answered my own question.

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 1:34 PM

This sure sounds a lot like “What have we done to make Osama attack the WTC?”

Mr. Bingley on March 18, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Typhoon on March 18, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Crap, time to expand my vocabulary. Sorry Allah and thanks Typhoon.

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 1:35 PM

If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race,creed and color,we would find some other causes for prejudice by noon.
Senator George Aiken

Firmworm on March 18, 2008 at 1:35 PM

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 1:28 PM

“I’ve already answered, like, 8 questions.” [as his voice trails off]

OhEssYouCowboys on March 18, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Well done, indeed, AP. A razor-keen analysis.

I’m with you on the “being surprised” part. I remember when I was making comments in support of the “kind-hearted but naive” anti-Obama meme. I was very, very wrong.

joewm315 on March 18, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Perfect summation.

sweeper on March 18, 2008 at 1:36 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on March 18, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Exactly!

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Here is Obama’s solution. It is his church that preaches racism, not the white church. His church his far more racist than any church I have seen. I watched the Palm Sunday Service at Trinity Church via the Web. What is Obama’s solution for solving the race problem perceived by Trinity church, government intervention.

Read my post Deconstructing Obama http://mark24609.blogspot.com/2008/03/deconstructing-obama.html

mark24609 on March 18, 2008 at 1:36 PM

I haven’t seen a lot of “forgiveness” or “understanding” out of Obama as he repeats virtually every far left lie and slander about President Bush and Vice President Cheney, out on the campaign trail.

He can take his speech, his church, his pastor, his bagman Rezko and his wifey and shove them all.

I’ve had it up to here with all of it and him especially. This guy is a world class fraud who has no business running for President of the United States.

NoDonkey on March 18, 2008 at 1:37 PM

There is no basis for the preaching of hate in a Christian church. None. “Hate” is the antithesis of the Gospel.

To spew hate from the pulpit AND to accept it from the pulpit – indicts both the “shepherd” and the “flock.”

It indicts Barack Obama.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 18, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Now, with his ass in a sling, suddenly it’s time for the great conversation. If any other politician tried a move this transparently cynical…

I viewed Romney’s speech on religion in America the same way. Only after Huck started gaining in December did he feel compelled to give a speech on the subject.

That being said, at least Romney was defending something defensible.

its vintage duh on March 18, 2008 at 1:38 PM

It’s his G-ddamned white grandmother’s fault.

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 1:39 PM

I’m with you, AP. For quite a while I considered the Messiah to be sincere, albeit with daft politics (kinda like Paul Wellstone with extra melanin).

Now I’m starting to believe Spengler is right.

Anthony Perez-Miller on March 18, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Now who’s the snake oil salesman? What a fraud. His story about Ashley is so insulting. A little girl’s mother has cancer, and Obama asserts that she could have been told that the source of her mother’s problems was that she was lazy or an immigrant? What a fraud, what a sham, what a game-playing sleazy politician. I lost ALL respect for Obama today…and before today, I thought he was wrong on policy but at least he appeared sincere. What a fraud the American sheeple are buying into.

JustTruth101 on March 18, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Thats cool with me.

Obama, you are a pandering, hypocritical race-pimp who is seemingly willing to use anyone and anything in your quest for power.

Careful now, don’t condemn my words until you understand the roots of what I say.

Bishop on March 18, 2008 at 1:39 PM

How can we ever have an honest debate about race when either side goes into the debate with a chip on their sholders ?

We want someone who is concerned for all americans not just those that agree with them. The very idea that Bush created Katrina to wipe out blacks is repugnant and racist in the sense that it denys whites and others who were also harmed by Katrina. You cant play the victim by automatically denying that others too can be victims.

What this shows is that Obama is first and formost a black leader and not an American leader. He has learned to be bitter about American and to hold a grudge against it.

That worries me that in a time where we have enemies pressing against us the democrats want us to elect a leader who believes that America is inherently wrong and deserses abuse heaped upon it.

That isnt about race that is about opening us up to further attacks that too many on the democratic side feel are justified.

Dead Americans dont justify mistakes of the past.

William Amos on March 18, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Odd look.

We held the general election and he won?

Damn. That was some nap.

How I feel is just as I did. Interestingly, I thought of that after this speech, and it did occur to me that it’s a reasonable point that this guy a spectacularly good manipulator.

But that does not make him a shrewd politician.

Sure, he wrote a good speech and turned it his way with those who would love him regardless. But he’s still sunk. This is still here. In the speech that Matthews will no doubt print out and use as masturbatory inspiration he vividly insulted the very voters–Reagan Democrats–he needs to win.

Which he won’t.

So sorry.

Still no sale.

Typhoon on March 18, 2008 at 1:40 PM

I’m glad I didn’t watch…it pisses me off just reading about it.

Bob's Kid on March 18, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Shows you how naive I am that I’m surprised.

We forgive you of your sins Allah, PBUY.

omnipotent on March 18, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Dennis Prager: His grandmother was afraid of walking down the street and seeing a black man. Black men are afraid of walking down the street and seeing a black man.

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I think this speech gets back in bed with his base, for sure, but fails with the general electorate, who still have “God Damn America” echoing around their racist, xenophobic, McMansion-loving, Global Warming-denying, Muslim-slaughtering, etc. heads. No amount of noodling condesention and moralization can take that away. Damage done in the general. Better that way, because he loses big-time compared to Hillary in the GE.

INFDL on March 18, 2008 at 1:42 PM

John McCain = Typical politician
Hillary Clinton = Typical Politician
Barak Obama = Typical Politician

If Obama is a little smarter then the other typical politicians then is this not an endorsement from Allahpundit to vote for Obama?

Zetterson on March 18, 2008 at 1:42 PM

So, can we call him Hussein now?

Just checking…

Aristotle on March 18, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Your church is supposed to be better than the “lowest common demonimator” (sic) in your congregation. In this particular case, the LCD is the guy up front giving the sermon. Maybe some (including the Obamas) are better, but given Michelle’s positions and Barack’s stated reason why there’s no flag on his lapel sort of make me think that they have AmeriKKKa on their minds too.

unclesmrgol on March 18, 2008 at 1:43 PM

“………it’s time for a circle-squaring conversation that can really only end in electing him president”

Not if the illegal alien voters have anything to say about it!

Seven Percent Solution on March 18, 2008 at 1:44 PM

So, can we call him Hussein now?

Just checking…

Aristotle on March 18, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Must ask John Mc-walking-Cane.
/not really into the name-game thing.
//so this is a sarc

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 1:45 PM

anyone braved to check Stormfront, to see their take on this whole mess?

jp on March 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM

One of Obama’s early mentors in the Alinsky method was Mike Kruglik, who had this to say to an interviewer of The New Republic, about Obama:

“He was a natural, the undisputed master of agitation, who could engage a room full of recruiting targets in a rapid-fire Socratic dialogue, nudging them to admit that they were not living up to their own standards. As with the panhandler, he could be aggressive and confrontational. With probing, sometimes personal questions, he would pinpoint the source of pain in their lives, tearing down their egos just enough before dangling a carrot of hope that they could make things better.”

For everything you need to know about Obama, be certain to visit: http://www.freedomsenemies.com/_more/obama.htm

NNtrancer on March 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Allah, you bent over backwards to give him the benefit of the doubt. It sucks when you try so hard to assume a person has honorable intentions and they prove that you were wrong. I knew Obama was a race baiting SOB after the “quiet riots” in the Black Community speech he delivered back in the spring of 2007.

It’s not so bad getting old. Your body kinda falls apart, but you get better at judging people more quickly.

funky chicken on March 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM

We still laugh at you, but for other things as well.

What the democrat party has been for a long long time is finally bubbling to the surface. Like carefully crafted speeches, the real sense and feel of bitterness begins to surface. Years of party bosses taking people, white and black, Union and NonUnion, Liberal and Traditional, has culminated to this point to say, “I have seen the light!!”

You’re all racist at heart and this bulb is much dimmer.

Kini on March 18, 2008 at 1:48 PM

For those unfamiliar with Saul Alinsky, his writings on radicalism and social change will chill the bones of not only conservatives, but more moderate liberals:

“Any revolutionary CHANGE must be preceded by a passive, affirmative, non-challenging attitude toward CHANGE among the mass of our people. They must feel so frustrated, so defeated, so lost, so futureless in the prevailing system that they are willing to let go of the past and CHANGE the future.”

“This acceptance is the reformation essential to any revolution. To bring on this reformation requires that the organizer work inside the system, among not only the middle class but the 40 per cent of American families –- more than seventy million people -– whose income range from $5,000 to $10,000 a year [in 1971].”

From: http://www.freedomsenemies.com/_more/obama.htm

NNtrancer on March 18, 2008 at 1:49 PM

There’s not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America; there’s the United States of America.

gumble on March 18, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Great analysis, Allah. Thanks.

The_Freeze on March 18, 2008 at 1:50 PM

funky chicken on March 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM

You, also, don’t have to endure the descent of our country into another socialist cesspool – for as long.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 18, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Notice how he said “political” views of Rev. Dr.?

What exactly does that mean?

Is “White gave blacks AIDS” a political view?

Barry is one slippery dude.

benrand on March 18, 2008 at 1:51 PM

We will see if he has been able to put the toothpaste back in the tube in Pennsylvania. If Hillary crushes him there, then you will know that the Wright issue has left him mortally wounded for the general. If he can beat her, then he knocks her out and it will go a long way towards putting this issue to rest for November. PA is the biopsy to see if this cancer is terminal or whether the chemo today worked.

Dudley Smith on March 18, 2008 at 1:51 PM

anyone braved to check Stormfront, to see their take on this whole mess?

jp on March 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I don’t think they should have a problem with Dr. errr…Reverend Wright’s statements against Israel and against WoT.

Aristotle on March 18, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Obama’s speech today = a “present” vote

Matticus Finch on March 18, 2008 at 1:53 PM

posted at 1:27 pm on March 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

…his own craven tolerance promotion of racial hatred …

Red Pill on March 18, 2008 at 1:54 PM

AP, in celebration of Good Friday, “You nailed this one”

Wade on March 18, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Senator George Aiken

Firmworm on March 18, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Tribalism can be quite insidious and it isn’t restricted to 3rd world countries. Our country has come the furthest in diluting the impact, but it is present in some form even within local communities. I see it in my own white bread rural area. It doesn’t mean there has to be discrimination, just preference for one’s closest ties.

a capella on March 18, 2008 at 1:55 PM

How powerful was this speech?…On the faint-o-meter we got a zero. Not one fainter? Weak, very weak!

soulsirkus on March 18, 2008 at 1:57 PM

soulsirkus on March 18, 2008 at 1:57 PM

I think there was at least one cryer.

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Obama’s speech today = a “present” vote

Matticus Finch on March 18, 2008 at 1:53 PM

No, it’s much more sinister than that. It’s “inspiring” race riots and revolution to bring about the shared dream of the Communist and Democrat parties…Socialism.

But my journey is part of a larger journey – one shared by all who’ve ever sought to apply the values of their faith to our society. It’s a journey that takes us back to our nation’s founding, when none other than a UCC church inspired the Boston Tea Party and helped bring an Empire to its knees.

Barack Hussein Obama, Jr.
A Politics of Conscience
Hartford, CT | June 23, 2007

Red Pill on March 18, 2008 at 1:59 PM

You know what one of the few advantages of growing up poor in the inner city is? It’s very hard for people to con you. There’s always hints that point to the truth. Obama and his wife left many of them.

These revelation neither shocked nor surprised me. What surprised me is how easily the truth was ultimately revealed and perhaps, that it was revealed at all. I am grateful that at least now people can’t say they didn’t know and weren’t warned.

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2008 at 1:59 PM

I think there was at least one cryer.

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Was that Cankles?

Wade on March 18, 2008 at 1:59 PM

His speech would start to hypnotize and boom, I would be awakened by the racism. I guess that he could’nt help himself.

Johan Klaus on March 18, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Don’t get it. Because the media and Obama supporters say they love the speech it was shrewd? What were they supposed to say?

JiangxiDad on March 18, 2008 at 2:01 PM

We if we were wondering if Barack was a manchurian Candidate I think the answer is yes. The only question is for who ?

William Amos on March 18, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Dudley Smith on March 18, 2008 at 1:51 PM

I think his slam on the Reagan voters and on supposed politicians who used stories of (black) crime to win elections may put NC in play for Hillary too…..if NC goes for Hillary, or even turns into a squeaker for Obama, he’s in major, major trouble.

funky chicken on March 18, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Red Pill on March 18, 2008 at 1:59 PM

That is some ‘skeery’ stuff.

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Dudley Smith on March 18, 2008 at 1:51 PM

To continue your apt metaphor: we need the non-traditional media to perform daily colonoscopies on the man to rule out other malignancies.

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Can’t wait to see how the critique of Obama’s justification for his twenty year race and America, moral resolve deficiency will compare to Romney’s religion speech.

Speakup on March 18, 2008 at 2:03 PM

mikeyboss on March 18, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Brilliant!

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 2:04 PM

The choice for the Democrats is now clear:

Will your presidential candidate be a corrupt, lying Arkansas machine politician or a corrupt, lying Chicago machine politician?

slp on March 18, 2008 at 2:04 PM

It beats me why AP thought Obama was so sincere when it seems I’ve seen every other candidate ripped to smithereens here.

Don’t ever look just at what they say.

Look at their actions and look at their companions.

Anyone who voted against the ban of partial birth abortion–an incredibly brutal, barbaric inhumane method of killing–was not a nice kind of guy.

INC on March 18, 2008 at 2:05 PM

So how is Obama’s church’s message any different from the mosques? Blame the US and whitey for everything, including that nasty hangnail. But if whitey and the US pony up the dollars, everything will be beautiful. For someone. Just not this whitey and American citizen.

RickZ on March 18, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Now that Obama has enlightened me as a white person, I feel much better. I am very sorry for being white, middle-class, and for fathering white, middle-class white children.

I promise to only vote for enlightened black people from now on. Maybe after another 30 years in America, I can purge this filth known as white from my being and be the human being Obama and his spiritual guru the Reverend Wright would have all whiteys to be.

Can I hear “AMEN!” from somebody.

saved on March 18, 2008 at 2:08 PM

This man will be beaten like a rented mule. McCain should be laughing into his beer.

Martin on March 18, 2008 at 2:09 PM

saved on March 18, 2008 at 2:08 PM
Yo, I’m down with dat mannnn!

dmann on March 18, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Can I hear “AMEN!” from somebody.

saved on March 18, 2008 at 2:08 PM

You are saved.

carbon_footprint on March 18, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Sorry to keep re-posting this snippet, but it’s just breathtakingly offensive :

A

nger over welfare and affirmative action helped forge the Reagan Coalition. Politicians routinely exploited fears of crime for their own electoral ends. Talk show hosts and conservative commentators built entire careers unmasking bogus claims of racism while dismissing legitimate discussions of racial injustice and inequality as mere political correctness or reverse racism.

Is he taking a too-cute-by-far slap at Bill Clinton (signed welfare reform) and GHWB (independent group’s Willie Horton ad)? Or trying to out-Clinton Clinton’s comments after McVeigh and Co. blew up the Murrah building?

In this speech, we have him
1. Throwing grandma under the bus after she raised him
2. Calling Reagan democrats dirty racists
3. Admitting that he did hear inflammatory sermons from Wright when he had issued a blanket denial of such on TV

But the MSM will somehow try to package this speech as a wonder of decency and reconcilliation.

Now I know why he didn’t schedule the speech in prime time. It gives his friends at the alphabet networks hours to massage the message.

funky chicken on March 18, 2008 at 2:12 PM

So now that race is a topic of discussion, can we start questioning the The Great Society and welfare as tools to keep blacks and minorities dependent on the government. Perhaps the government has done more to keep the blacks down than “whitey” has. Maybe we can talk about how the culture of “victimhood” has robbed people of thier self-worth and feeling that they need to strive to better their lives.

Of course, what is Barry’s answer to the problems of racisim and inequality for the black people? Why, more government of course. So who is really keeping the the black people down?

Mallard T. Drake on March 18, 2008 at 2:12 PM

We need to parse the beJesus out of this statement.

Not once in my conversations with him …. since when has the uproar been about conversations that went on between Barack and the Rev. Wright? Irrelevant.

have I heard him talk about any ethnic group in derogatory terms ….. just because you claim he didn’t in his conversation with you, doesn’t change the fact that he has, from the pulpit to his entire flock and on his videos for sale for the public to view. BS.

or treat whites with whom he interacted with anything but courtesy and respect …. just like Calypso Louie, who when speaking to whitey directly would put a horse collar on the racist remarks, but when behind closed doors the venom flowed freely and the hate speech stirred up the masses. Tap dancing.

Like I said a few days ago. Slick Willie 2.0

fogw on March 18, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Like I said on the other thread, Obama’s outlook is not progressive, nor is the commentary of those who are praising this speech. They would have us forgive Jeremiah Wright and others like him and move on, while not demanding that Wright, et al. forgive white America and move on.

Progress will only come when black America is able to put it behind them. It is time for blacks to put the past behind them and heal themselves. As long as you think of yourself as a separate group, you will remain separated.

Connie on March 18, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Nice post, Allah. The deity carves-up the messiah.

Rick on March 18, 2008 at 2:14 PM

…I always liked Obama the man and believed that his devotion to racial reconciliation was sincere. I don’t anymore.

That’s exactly the same boat I’m in. Early on, I liked him and had no reason to question his sincerity, even though I disagreed with nearly every position of his.

My disillusionment with him began with his response to the SOTU address when he said “…tonight we heard President Bush say that the surge in Iraq is working, when we know that’s just not true.”

He’s just another political BS artist.

flipflop on March 18, 2008 at 2:14 PM

I guess there just wasn’t time for any questions from the media?

d1carter on March 18, 2008 at 2:15 PM

anyone braved to check Stormfront, to see their take on this whole mess?

jp on March 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM

No. And I’m hoping they didn’t see an increase in membership after this speech.

Connie on March 18, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Obama’s speech was quite an exercise in skillful misdirection, like a Vegas magic act. He made excuses for his pastor and disagreed with what he said, but claimed his anger was legitimate. Basically, white people made him do it. He never got around to saying the obvious, that anyone who claims the government invented AIDS is batshit crazy or that claiming America deserved Sep 11 is just hateful and nutty. He wandered around saying that everyone is racist so my pastor is like everyone so lay off.

For somebody who claims to want a better union, it appears that his prerequisite for that union is for white people to admit that they are the cause of every black affliction. He blames undereducated black people on lack of funding for schools, not a black culture which rejects education as “acting white” nor parents who don’t care. Bad schools generally are due to bad parents.

His craziest claim is that whites are better off because we all inherited money. Well, where’s my check? Everyone I know of every ethnic background earned everything they got with their own labor. I don’t know anyone who got a free ride due to an inheritance. This sounds like more BS from his pastor.

His closing anecdote about the girl who ate mustard and relish sandwiches while caring for her cancer-ridden mother is touching but wrongheaded. The universal healthcare Obama wants would waitlist that woman until she died, just like they do in England. Obama is enlisting an emotional appeal to move us toward an inferior solution, which just about sums up his program.

Tantor on March 18, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Nice to know that only Obama can bring this country together, though it wasn’t too long ago that I heard the same thing about a different “black” President.

Confused. Please advise.

Bishop on March 18, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Interestingly, if you open the “Obama knew” link in headlines and read through the comments at Politico, almost all the Democrat commenters sound like HA posters regarding the speech, and only a few independents thought it was good. I think Obama now has more problems with the center-left than he knows.

a capella on March 18, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Again this is rellevant to Wright. Because “Rich White People” run america therefore it legitimate to go after the rich because they are white.

Obama isnt condeming racism he is justifying it.

William Amos on March 18, 2008 at 2:21 PM

I guess there just wasn’t time for any questions from the media?

They wanted to ask more than eight questions so the presser was cancelled.

Bishop on March 18, 2008 at 2:21 PM

He has professed to be a “moderate” Christian in a Church hijacked by extremists. That’s good cred for sniffing out moderate Muslims when he is president isn’t it?

/s

BL@KBIRD on March 18, 2008 at 2:22 PM

AP, Your very best ever.
Great insight.. beyond many things I saw, while I saw other ugly facts unfold, you have really revealed some important realities.
Thx.
(B. Hussein never had me fooled, I think you know how I feel)

shooter on March 18, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Obama isnt condeming racism he is justifying it.

William Amos on March 18, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Part of the bigger picture. He’s using it as a tool to promote socialism.

a capella on March 18, 2008 at 2:24 PM

He was raised by his loving grandmother.
The same person he now accuses of being a racist.

What a two-faced lying scumbag…

Even Wolff Blitzer was shocked!

TexasJew on March 18, 2008 at 2:26 PM

the fact that Obama sat through 20 years of hate filled sermons, and did not deal with this at the start of his campaign as he should have does not strike me as shrewd

I guess the swing voters in the next few primaries will tell us how shrewd he is.

windansea on March 18, 2008 at 2:28 PM

He wins. I am so ashamed to be a Cracka.

ronsfi on March 18, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Please…I don’t think Obama’s followers would be as forgiving of the rhetoric if, for 20 years, Obama had attended the church of another Democratic pastor who is pretty much saying the same thing as Wright: Fred Phelps.

Vic on March 18, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Fascinating tap dance Obama.

signed:
White racist middle class American

Texas Gal on March 18, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Exactly!! Because to do so, would be asking him to shed his ‘blackness’. How intolerant, how biggoted and racist of us. And now we should have more guilt, right? He just threw the entire deck of race cards at us.

Over30 on March 18, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Allah

I am having a full body orgasm of my own…

Jaibones on March 18, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Oh no you DI’N'T use that word, you former Catholic, you…!

Otherwise, great post, Allah.

Exactly.

inviolet on March 18, 2008 at 2:32 PM

I must admit, Obama’s reference to his white grandmother strikes a chord with me. My maternal grandmother was from South Carolina, and she was raised in an era where using the n-word was entirely ordinary. In her old age, she still let it slip out every now and again. I don’t think I could disown my grandmother for being a product of a less tolerant age.

Of course, a relationship with one’s pastor is different from a family member in the literal sense, but don’t regular church-goers consider their pastor to be on the same level as a family member?

Enrique on March 18, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Obama’s speech today = a “present” vote

Matticus Finch on March 18, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Bingo!

That’s the first thing I thought too!

cntrlfrk on March 18, 2008 at 2:36 PM