NYT: “Mr. Obama’s eloquent speech should end the debate over his ties to Mr. Wright”

posted at 9:35 pm on March 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

The most rewarding thing about a day like today, when some liberal’s in trouble and anxious to save his own ass, is watching the worst, most predictable, most embarrassing hacks on the other side go face-first into the tank, exactly as you’d expect they would. Sullivan? Check. Matthews? Check. The New York Times College of Cardinals? Checkity check check.

There are moments — increasingly rare in risk-abhorrent modern campaigns — when politicians are called upon to bare their fundamental beliefs. In the best of these moments, the speaker does not just salve the current political wound, but also illuminates larger, troubling issues that the nation is wrestling with.

Inaugural addresses by Abraham Lincoln and Franklin D. Roosevelt come to mind, as does John F. Kennedy’s 1960 speech on religion, with its enduring vision of the separation between church and state. Senator Barack Obama, who has not faced such tests of character this year, faced one on Tuesday. It is hard to imagine how he could have handled it better…

There have been times when we wondered what Mr. Obama meant when he talked about rising above traditional divides. This was not such a moment.

Hey, guys? If the last 20 years count for anything, the best estimates of his “fundamental beliefs” are that the United States is a racist hegemon begging to have jets flown into office towers to teach it a thing or two about imperialism. He’s a gutless, opportunistic coward who was afraid to say an unkind word to one of the power brokers in the black community on whom he counted for votes as an Illinois politician, and now that he’s a national figure he’s throwing the same guy under the bus to preserve the illusion that he’s a “post-racial” politician. And you’re sitting there cheering him on because you don’t care what sort of idiocy or anti-American vitriol you have to swallow to put a Democrat back into the White House. Does that about sum it up? Have I missed any “nuance” in the “U.S. government created the AIDS virus” rant that Obama never, ever heard anything about and that you’re now willing to wave away?

Exit question invitation: Which parts of Wright’s sermons, precisely, does the New York Times have any great objection to? The punchline to all this nonsense is that the good reverend’s rantings really aren’t very far outside the liberal mainstream (his AIDS theory notwithstanding), which is probably why Obama thought he could bury this scandal in the first place. So let’s compromise: You make a list of everything Wright’s said that you think is beyond the pale or off the reservation and we’ll pretend that Obama’s objections to those statements are heartfelt and sincere and not something he’d ever, ever want his young daughters to hear. Deal?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Doctor Zero on March 19, 2008 at 12:09 PM

I think your posts are terrific.

JiangxiDad on March 19, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Oldnuke on March 19, 2008 at 11:59 AM

What we are seeing on youtube and elsewhere on the web are divisive snippets from a very large collection of sermons given by Rev. Wright. If you took the time to look, you would find that he also gave many very pro-American sermons and that the majority of his preaching involved sermons that were intended to inspire faith in God and in the future of America. Although I find the divisive outtakes disturbing, I don’t think that they negate the positive things that he has said and done.

NuclearPhysicist on March 19, 2008 at 12:21 PM

NuclearPhysicist on March 19, 2008 at 12:21 PM

I understand what you’re saying, I also understand that the clips are only a very small portion of what’s on the entire DVD. That said, I find it odd that those clips would be included in something named “The Best of”. The only resolution I can come to is that he is proud of those moments. His congregations certainly seemed to enjoy and agree with what he was saying.

Oldnuke on March 19, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Before you have lunch, you should check out the Rev. Manning’s hateful description of Obama on YouTube FROM FEB. 19, 2008. About 1:45 sec into it he says Obama “was born trash” from an “African-in-heat-father went a-whoring after a trashy white woman”, I’m not having any luck at all today with my posts there OR HERE. I’ve posted 2 responses on YouTube, but so far NO ONE’S COMMENTS ARE BEING POSTED. It fails the smell test that NO ONE HAS COMMENTED ON IT SINCE IT APPEARED ON YT OVER A MONTH AGO and HAS BEEN VIEWED OVER 500,000 TIMES! Now that it is on Drudge, I suggest if you want to see it, you should do it before it gets pulled. Sadly, this may be a very painful period for race relations in this country if this is nothing out of the ordinary in “black churches”. Iowa’s 90%+ white population might have thought twice about voting for their black candidate if these (some years-old) videos were reported in MSM.

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Interestinly, the New York Times has never written one word on either its editorial pages or its news pages about Wright’s antiSemitism. The remarks that Wright made about Israel are probably pretty close to the views of the NY Times editorial board and clearly close to Nicholas Kristof’s views. Tom Friedman is probably reasonably close to Wrights views on the Arab-Israeli dispute although Friedman will concede that the Arab side is maybe 1% responsible for the problems. So the Times had decided to spike the story of Wright’s antiSemitism. This should be no surprise because the Times, back in the 1930s and 1940s, spiked the news about The holocaust. The Sulzbergers, then and now, controlled what goes into the New York Times pages and so it predictable that they would spike news about the holocaust and about Wright’s views. The Times will shower it pages with whiny stories about women not getting admitted into the Augusta National Country Club in Augusta, Georgia but when it comes to antiSemitism from Obama’s pastor, the Times has to spike that news.

Larraby on March 19, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I’ve no doubt that this individual does not spend all of his time uttering outrageous statements about America, race, and terrorism. What’s at issue is that he spends any of his time doing so.

Blacklake on March 19, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Mr. Obama’s eloquent speech should end the debate over his ties to Mr. Wright”

It does end the debate: Mr. Obama supports Mr. Wright and his message of racism and anti-white and anti-America hate. He supports him by continuing to attend this church, and continuing to expose his wife and daughters to this message. He also supports him by failing to refute milder but similar comments by his wife which build on this message.

If Mr. Obama truly wants to believe that he is not an anti-American hater, he could start by publicly saluting the flag and singing along with our national anthem instead of simply standing there in embarrassed silence.

If Mr. Obama truly wants us to believe he is not a black separatist (e.g. racist), he could also respond meaningfully to substantive questions from other-than-friendly interviewers instead accusing them of racism for daring to question him.

landlines on March 19, 2008 at 12:47 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Most amazing video I have ever seen, bar none.

JiangxiDad on March 19, 2008 at 12:49 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Most amazing video I have ever seen, bar none.
JiangxiDad March 19, 2008 at 12:49 PM

EVERYONE- P L E A S E WATCH THIS VIDEO AS JiangxiDad has BEFORE IT DISAPPEARS DOWN THE MEMORY HOLE!

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 12:56 PM

have you ever seen “and the band played on” an HBO movie from way back… the point is, the liberals and the left have been saying Reagan started AIDS to kill gays and blacks for a very long time. and it’s time someone called them on it.

Kaptain Amerika on March 19, 2008 at 1:04 PM

And by the way, when my church of 20 years began spewing hateful anti-Americanism from the pulpit instead of teaching Christianity from the Bible, I left!

As a member of the governing body of the church, I took action to confront it and tried to stop it. But when I found I could not, I concluded that the body had ceased to function as a church and left it.

Shouldn’t we expect someone who is a Senator and aspires to be a President to take some meaningful action to stop spreading a message of hate if he truly disagreed with it?

It’s called integrity, Mr. Obama!

landlines on March 19, 2008 at 1:05 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Rush Limbaugh is about to play audio excerpts. Hold tight.

JiangxiDad on March 19, 2008 at 1:08 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Rush is playing it right now!

ArmyAunt on March 19, 2008 at 1:11 PM

“Barack, I didn’t do it for this.

Barack, I was a civil rights worker… South Carolina, 1966… 22 yrs old … helping old folks register to vote, teaching kids to read and write, directing Raisin in the Sun…

Barack, I didn’t do it for this.

Barack, I dream of my kindergarten best friend Andy from Walden School, Manhattan, born one day after me, shot dead in Mississippi 1964.

Barack, I idolized Stokley Carmichael and the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee.

Barack, I lost the full use of my left hand for life in South Carolina.

Barack, I didn’t do it for this.

Barack, I gave hundreds to the Black Panthers for their children’s breakfast program when I was 25 and a young screenwriter in Echo Park, Los Angeles, even though I knew Huey was crazy and was worried my money might have been going for guns, even though I had my own children in the house when the Panthers came over, their jackets bulging.

Barack, I made excuses for the Black Power Movement even though I knew it was turning racist.

Barack, I didn’t do it for this.

Barack, your speech was bullshit.

Barack, this isn’t about generations.

Barack, this isn’t about the black church.

Barack, this is about a pathological minister whose uncontrolled anger wounds his own people and keeps them down.

Barack, this is about a man who ignored that rage for his own political gain and even now won’t admit a huge mistake and looks for nuance and excuses.

Barack, this about a woman who went on scholarship to Princeton and Harvard and still hates America.

Barack, you say you want Black-Jewish reconciliation but you hung with an anti-Semite.

Barack, I didn’t do it for this.”

Roger L. Simon is an Academy Award-nominated screenwriter, novelist and blogger ( http://www.rogerlsimon.com/ ) rtw/LGF

lobosan5 on March 19, 2008 at 1:14 PM

These reactions from the usual suspects in the media are just the soft bigotry of low expectations. Or perhaps the soft punditry.

If Obama was white and/or a Republican, this would have been his Abu Ghraib. Color photos of Mr. Wright would be plastered across the NYT and its fellow travelers’ front pages, every day for the next four months.

But he’s black, and a Democrat, so instead they’re eager to give him a pass and move on to the next news cycle.

stivv on March 19, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Al Gore’s technique – “The debate is OVER!”

The left is always eager to make the big decisions for the unwashed masses. After all, they know best, don’tcha know. And even if they didn’t know best, they’re political power is at stake, dammit! Can’t you understand that, you ignorant hillbillies?!?! Now shut up and get out of the way!

Django on March 19, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Are they HONESTLY comparing him to these 3 Presidents? THAT is beyond the pale. I now, not only won’t read the NYT, but I don’t care to know what the NYT wrote EVER. It would be like pulling out the National Enquirer and skimming it while I’m waiting for the Check-Out Clerk to ring up my grocery items. It serves no intellectual purposes other than to simply kill some time.

Sultry Beauty on March 19, 2008 at 1:44 PM

JiangxiDad & ArmyAunt, thanks for the heads-up about Rush. Unfortunately, AM Radio sux here and for some reason my Dell Laptop with Vista Premium (THUD) is not allowing me to hear or see him. I have all the upgraded Flash players etc, but no-go. ANYONE CONTEMPLATING SWITCHING TO VISTA- SPARE YOURSELF AN ULCER, DON’T. If anything good hits the fan, drop me a letter in the mail, haha. I’m stuck in the 80′s with VISTA!

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 1:45 PM

The Obama speech was outstanding, and I would give it a 98 out of 100. The real question is whether it will open the door to frank conversation on how to really help the status of the large disfunctional segment of the black community.

All men are created equal in the eyes of the law, but all men are not created equal by God; just ask Yao Ming and Danny Diveto (sp).

We are all Gods children, but putting Danny Diveto in a basketball game with Yao Ming is not fair. We as a nation and a culture must find an honorable way to promote the strengths of all our people, not just judge them by how they perform in one game. Simply paying welfare checks to make these people go away or wind up in jail is a sorry reflection of our committment to all of our citizens. Its time for real straight talk on this issue.

saiga on March 19, 2008 at 1:47 PM

**** must see V I D E O ****BEFORE YouTube pulls the plug: PLEASE check out the Rev. Manning’s hateful description of Obama on YouTube FROM FEB. 19, 2008. About 1:45 sec into it he says Obama “was born trash” from an “African-in-heat-father went a-whoring after a trashy white woman

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 1:51 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 1:51 PM

And your point is what? Why would I want to hear someone saying such things? Are you trying to insinuate that because of this what Rev. Wright said is okay?

Sultry Beauty on March 19, 2008 at 1:54 PM

If the Rev. Wright connection is as damaging as many on this board believe it is, McCain’s supporters should definitely be rooting for Obama to get the nomination. This scenario avoids any chance of the Clintons getting back into the White House and gives us a Democrat that will lose in November. Go Obama!!

NuclearPhysicist on March 19, 2008 at 1:55 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Sorry. I realize now that you all are trying to show that on both sides, this type of hate-filled speech happens often in Black Churches. But aren’t you ultimately making Obama’s point for him?

Sultry Beauty on March 19, 2008 at 2:02 PM

On the one extreme, Nobel Prize winner Dr. William Shockley wanted everyone with an IQ under 100 to be paid to get sterilized.

Shockley believed that the higher rate of reproduction among the less intelligent was having what he called a “dysgenic” effect, causing a lowering of worldwide human quality. Although Shockley was concerned about both Black and White dysgenic effects, he found the situation among Blacks more disastrous.

On the other hand, Pastor Wright seems to think in terms of the “victim” concept where the problems in the black community are the results of whites.

I think both are wrong, and as a culture, we need to find a way to meet somewhere in the middle. There should be more than one line item on the balance sheet of a persons strengths, but in our current society, brain power trumps all others, including wealth.

But the first step is recognizing we can’t all be as smart as Ben Stein, and we all have admirable strengths worth more than money and power.

saiga on March 19, 2008 at 2:07 PM

NuclearPhysicist on March 19, 2008 at 1:55 PM

I doubt rooting for candidates on a message board has much impact on elections. If it did, Thompson would be the GOP candidate. From what I’ve seen, most of the talk here about Obama has to do with whether he’s qualified to be the leader of us all, after his claimed passive spiritual support and active financial support for the values of the Trinity UCC, as stated in their About Us information page, and Wright’s rantings.

a capella on March 19, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Oldnuke on March 19, 2008 at 12:27 PM

I don’t doubt that many in his congregation agree with some of Rev. Wright’s inflammatory rhetoric. The truth is that many blacks are still very angry about the past and even see racism in small things that aren’t intended to be racist. For example, they might note that a cabbie didn’t stop for them, so he must be a racist. How many movies have we seen where the standard joke is to see cabbies pass by people of all colors? I doubt that such experiences are examples of real racism, but they can be interpreted that way, if a person is from an ethnic group that has experienced real discrimination in the past. When a cabbie passes me by, I just look for another cabbie. Anyway, we have a long way to go before such thinking will sink into the background of black American thought. I see it as a generational problem that will fade as real discrimination recedes into history.

NuclearPhysicist on March 19, 2008 at 2:16 PM

“Barack Obama is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I’ve ever known in my life.”

Django on March 19, 2008 at 2:28 PM

a capella on March 19, 2008 at 2:14 PM

You’re right. Rooting on this board is not very meaningful and was meant to be somewhat sarcastic. But, I think that seeing some of the protective armor removed from the Democrat’s likely messiah nominee is a good thing for McCain. He doesn’t have to spend any money or effort tarnishing Obama for the general election and he reaps all of the rewards.

NuclearPhysicist on March 19, 2008 at 2:29 PM

NuclearPhysicist on March 19, 2008 at 2:16 PM

It won’t happen as long as the Sharptons, Jacksons, and Wrights keep feeding crap to the upcoming generations, such as Obama’s kids. That’s how the Palestinians keep their younger generations seething for revenge. It’s a cottage industry, too lucrative in terms of power and money to shut down.

a capella on March 19, 2008 at 2:45 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Sultry Beauty on March 19, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Earlier you asked what my point was. Maybe this will help. After watching this vile self-professed “man-of-GAWD”, I tried in vain to post on YouTube: 1) Just when I thought the worst thing that could happen was having to listen to the Clintons for the next 4 years, along comes this idiot. Until about 1:45 min into his racist tirade, when he spoke of Obama being “born trash” of an “African-in-heat-father went a-whoring after a trashy white woman”, I thought it was another SNL parody. Does anyone think this outrageous devolution of the positive race relations that allowed a 90%+ white Iowa to vote for Obama speaks to anyone’s soul? God help us all
2) Where are all the SEPARATION OF CHURCH & STATE LIBERALS? How many liberals will call out this racist “man of gawd” for spewing hate-filled POLITICAL SPEECH IN CHURCH? At the very least the IRS should fine this hump and black, brown, yellow, red, white & blue Americans should tell this asshat to STFU!

Hope this makes it CLEAR that I’m neither trying to make Obama’s point nor root for Shillary. I’m just trying to share MY thoughts, NOT CAMPAIGN as so many others here are clearly doing (which is their right, of course). Lets let the hatefull video speak for itself, okay.

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 2:49 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Thank you for reposting that, for some reason I can’t get to the earlier comment pages.

That is awesome.

I have a feeling the Pastor might have a touch of kookiness, but what the heck, I can have a “crazy uncle”, too.

dinasour on March 19, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Rush Limbaugh is about to play audio excerpts. Hold tight.

JiangxiDad on March 19, 2008 at 1:08 PM

I think Pastor Manning just hit critical mass.

Rush: Show Prep for the MSM

HotAir: Show Prep for Rush.

dinasour on March 19, 2008 at 2:54 PM

IS THERE SOME KIND OF WORD LIMIT ON THIS SITE THAT NO ONE HAS TOLD US ABOUT? I’VE TRIED TO REPLY TO ANOTHER POSTER’S QUESTION, BUT AFTER THE PREVIEW OF MY POST APPEARS, IT DISAPPEARS & IS NEVER POSTED. BUT SHORT POSTS GO RIGHT THROUGH… WHATSUP?

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 2:56 PM

whoops. spoke to soon. I see my post now. sorry. /voice in my head: Meltdown much?

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 2:57 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 2:56 PM

PERHAPS YOU ARE SHOUTING TOO LOUD.

a capella on March 19, 2008 at 3:03 PM

FUZZY YouTube math: the needle hasn’t moved in 2 hours on the number of views (still 552,031) but the number of people rating it has gone from 1,193 to 3,350- an increase of 473 during the same time period. Oh, and STILL NOT ONE COMMENT from the half million viewers. Gives new meaning to the SILENT majority.

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 3:06 PM

PERHAPS YOU ARE SHOUTING TOO LOUD.
a capella on March 19, 2008 at 3:03 PM

/very quietly/ you’re right. sorry, rough day all around. Time to relax & throw back a couple of Drano cocktails.

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 3:10 PM

NuclearPhysicist

Gotcha, so when he blamed whitey for deliberately creating AIDS and using it to keep Africa poor; I was just missing “the nuance” and the flavor of his other posts.

And that comment didn’t matter anyhow, because in some other posts he said stuff I might agree with.

Man, if I triangulated like that; such that I’d forgive a certain quantity of bug**** crazy; I’d have voted for Ron Paul.

I mean, I liked about 50-60% of Ron Paul’s platform, but 30% was insane, unworkable, and damaging to the U.S. But we should have forgiven Ron Paul is crazy outbursts, only focused on the good, and elected him President?

How much sane rational speech do I have to have to forgive occasional racist, violent crazy idiocy? What percentage of my communications are allowed to be viciously nasty and racist with no problem?

Does it matter what color I am when figuring that percentage? Do white people get less of a racist crazy allowance than minorities? How about women?

I’m just wondering how long I need to speak sanely before going off on a racist tirade that makes Imus look like Mrs. Brady? I mean, eventually I can go off on a racist spiel that makes 50 cent look like Saturday morning cartoon fare and get a free pas; right?

So how much “chaff” do I need to place around the truly nasty racist kernels that I’m apparently saving?

gekkobear on March 19, 2008 at 3:52 PM

I’m starting a new business: BIGGOT OFFSETS. gekkobear, you can be my first customer…

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 3:59 PM

I’m thinking of calling it “Archie Bunker’s Biggot Offsets”, but I’m open to suggestions.

NightmareOnKStreet on March 19, 2008 at 4:01 PM

a capella on March 19, 2008 at 3:03 PM

I had to turn my speakers down too :-)

Oldnuke on March 19, 2008 at 4:22 PM

NuclearPhysicist,

All it takes is one word. Remember George Allen and maccaca (or however you spell it). No reasonably rational person could have heard that one little sound bite and concluded that Allen was being racist. He had probably never heard that word before, I had not, and from what I heard he thought that may have been the guy’s real name. Living in Virginia I can tell you that George Allen was very popular. But that one word uttered in a moment of carelessness was sufficient to sway enough uncommitted voters to cost him the election if not the rest of his political career. Obama may not have uttered the words here but he has closely associated himself and his family with the man who did. That association was not one moment of carelessness but 20 + years of willing participation. How do you think that will be received by independent white male voters who hadn’t quite made up their minds yet, and who will be all alone in the sanctity of the voting booth away from any notion of political correctness.

Oldnuke on March 19, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Is Obama’s white grandmother still alive?

If not, he slandered the dead for an election advantage.

Something I wonder if even Billy Jeff had the chutzpah to do?

If she is alive, somebody needs to ask her what she said that was equal to Wright’s bigoted, anti-American rants.

The Barackster is a political Superfly in mufti.

Looking sleazier with every further excuse.

profitsbeard on March 19, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Ahhh.. the NYT, a bastion of integrity, truth, and journalism.

As long as you are a moonbat that is. For the rest of us, it’s good for lining the cat’s litter box.

Hog Wild on March 19, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Oldnuke on March 19, 2008 at 4:36 PM

That was a lynching by the MSM with the WaPo leading the mob. I think the WaPo had a month of putting articles on A1, A2 and C1 w/ some of the most misleading articles I’ve ever witnessed. It was criminal. I had to stop reading the WaPo for a month for fear I was gonna pop my aorta.

Over30 on March 19, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Between that and seeing the silliness of Tom Toles on the op-ed page every morning, I cancelled my Post subsciption. I must admit I do miss the comics and the Sunday coupons, but they just ain’t worth the thought of subsidizing that journalistic agenda.

smill1953 on March 20, 2008 at 8:13 AM

I don’t understand. If most inner-city, urban black churches have hate-filled sermons by screeching bigots and America-haters, don’t the high black-on-black crime and murder rates seem to indicate that such churches are destructive to the community?

Would the communities actually be worse off if those same churches preached love, especially for people outside their own communities, and promoted a more optimistic vision of America?

Would that actually make life worse for their neighborhoods than what they’re doing right now?

Somehow, I doubt it. It would likely have exactly the opposite effect. But why encourage people to be happy and excel in their lives when you can keep the donation box and the pews full by hammering people with the idea that they need to stick by you and “their kind” because the world’s against them. If there’s a hell, there are a lot of preachers headed there on the express train.

Django on March 20, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Osama takes in the ass, not that there is anything wrong with that.

mcgilvra on March 20, 2008 at 8:19 PM