Frank who?

posted at 7:07 pm on March 17, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The Huffington Post sends us this essay by Frank Schaeffer claiming that Republicans have acted hypocritically in scolding Barack Obama over Jeremiah Wright — because the GOP embraced him and his father. His father is “Religious Right leader Francis Schaeffer”, which around here might combine up with a buck to buy a bag of donut holes. Schaeffer fils has repented of his conservativism — hence the appearance at HuffPo — and spends most of it spanking his dad:

Take Dad’s words and put them in the mouth of Obama’s preacher (or in the mouth of any black American preacher) and people would be accusing that preacher of treason. Yet when we of the white Religious Right denounced America white conservative Americans and top political leaders, called our words “godly” and “prophetic” and a “call to repentance.”

We Republican agitators of the mid 1970s to the late 1980s were genuinely anti-American in the same spirit that later Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson (both followers of my father) were anti-American when they said God had removed his blessing from America on 9/11, because America accepted gays. Falwell and Robertson recanted but we never did.

My dad’s books denouncing America and comparing the USA to Hitler are still best sellers in the “respectable” evangelical community and he’s still hailed as a prophet by many Republican leaders. When Mike Huckabee was recently asked by Katie Couric to name one book he’d take with him to a desert island, besides the Bible, he named Dad’s Whatever Happened to the Human Race? a book where Dad also compared America to Hitler’s Germany.

The hypocrisy of the right denouncing Obama, because of his minister’s words, is staggering. They are the same people who argue for the right to “bear arms” as “insurance” to limit government power. They are the same people that (in the early 1980s roared and cheered when I called down damnation on America as “fallen away from God” at their national meetings where I was keynote speaker, including the annual meeting of the ultraconservative Southern Baptist convention, and the religious broadcasters that I addressed.

Has anyone heard of this guy? I mean, besides Mike Huckabee?

Even getting beyond the arrogance, Schaeffer sets up at least a couple of straw men in this argument. Has anyone of significance accused Rev. Wright of treason? We’ve certainly accused him of America bashing and of conducting hate speech from the pulpit, but neither of those are treason. We have also questioned whether Obama’s description of him as a “spiritual adviser” and as a political mentor means that Obama shares the view that God should damn America and that it should be called the US of KKK-A. Given that Obama explicitly campaigns on his claims of better judgment, shouldn’t we look at his judgement in associating with that kind of hateful rhetoric — especially when he has so little else to offer?

Second, we are told that he “had lunch with the Fords, stayed in the White House as their guest, he met with Reagan,” and was a “frequent” guest of the Kemps, although Schaefer doesn’t exactly give that any context. So he met once with Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan, and stayed overnight with the former — who wasn’t exactly enamored with evangelicals anyway. One supposes that Jack Kemp probably arranged the meetings, but it doesn’t sound as if either President found him or his rhetoric attractive enough to have a second meeting. That’s both quantitatively and qualitatively at the far end of the spectrum from Obama’s relationship with Jeremiah Wright. He sat in that church for 20 years, bringing his children to hear Wright speak and donated over $20,000 in 2006 to support Wright.

Also, I just checked, and Jack Kemp isn’t running for President in 2008. Reagan and Ford aren’t either, although some Republicans did everything but dig Ronaldus Magnus out of his grave in the primaries. \

Schaeffer undermines his own argument in the passage above, too. He notes that Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson made inflammatory and downright stupid statements about the 9/11 attacks — and hell, Robertson has made foolish and objectionable remarks both before and since. Both, however, apologized for those remarks and retracted them. They didn’t do that because Democrats objected; they did it because Republicans denounced them for making those statements. Trent Lott similarly resigned from his leadership position in the Senate for saying a lot less than Wright uttered in the mildest of his sermons, and only after his fellow Republicans openly called on him to do so.

At least I know why I’ve never heard of either Schaeffer.

Comments

Of course of I’ve heard of Mark Tom Steve…what’s his name again?

amerpundit on March 17, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Oh, HuffPo, you never cease to amaze me.

malan89 on March 17, 2008 at 7:14 PM

I’ve seen Frank Schaeffer on C-SPAN, he has book called “Crazy for God.’ To be honest, he seem to be bitter towards the ‘religious right.’

terryannonline on March 17, 2008 at 7:14 PM

They actually sent something to HA? Yuck. You better hose down your servers or whatever the hell you use.

JiangxiDad on March 17, 2008 at 7:15 PM

So are we supposed to take the “this is no different than regular right-wing Christian churches” argument seriously now because HuffPo managed to dredge up a solitary son with daddy issues and a left-wing streak?

Pathetic.

NeoconNews.com on March 17, 2008 at 7:15 PM

I’ve never heard of them either. Until today. Frank was on one of the radio shows I listened to on the way home from work. Can’t say that I agree with him tho.

atxcowgirl on March 17, 2008 at 7:16 PM

I wonder why they are quite on Robert Byrd then ? He has a far more damning past.

William Amos on March 17, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Yawn…

TheBigOldDog on March 17, 2008 at 7:17 PM

terryannonline on March 17, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Frank is the HuffPo Liberal. His father Francis remained a Religious Right Evangelical.

Or am I getting this wrong? Seriously, never heard of the guy.

amerpundit on March 17, 2008 at 7:17 PM

I think the “reverend” is a racist, and hates America, or at least part of the blame America first crowd.

Just my opinion of viewing the clips.

Chakra Hammer on March 17, 2008 at 7:20 PM

I’ve never heard of Frank or Francis…of course I’m not a religious conservative, and I’m one of those damned papists anyway…

doubleplusundead on March 17, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Francis Schaeffer is fantastic, actually. I heard he had a nasal voice that made his audiobooks unbearable, but he’s a good read for Christian apologists or just the run-of-the-mill interested party.

However, Schaeffer was a brilliant intellectual who criticized the death of culture as a result of loss of spirituality; he did not, and would not, condemn the U.S. in Wright’s manner and say (well, here I simply refuse to repeat what Wright said). He wasn’t a race-baiter, either; he simply linked the death of American Christianity (or at least the rise of secularism) with the culture going off the deep-end.

emailnuevo on March 17, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Frank, whoever he is, wouldn’t get elected either.

Spirit of 1776 on March 17, 2008 at 7:21 PM

The desperation of the left as they grasp at straws to try to get Nobama a free pass for his two decade long membership in the First Chicago Church of Hate Whitey and Damn America, is pretty pathetic.

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 17, 2008 at 7:22 PM

is that “treason”?

I guess not, unless he has somehow directly aided the enemy.

Chakra Hammer on March 17, 2008 at 7:22 PM

The desperation of the left as they grasp at straws to try to get Nobama a free pass for his two decade long membership in the First Chicago Church of Hate Whitey and Damn America, is pretty pathetic friggin’ entertaining.

JayHaw Phrenzie on March 17, 2008 at 7:22 PM

FTFY

doubleplusundead on March 17, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Obama shares the view that God should damn America and that it should be called the US of KKK-A….

………. sorry, I was just getting some more pop corn.

Seven Percent Solution on March 17, 2008 at 7:23 PM

his church releasing the DVD’s, was NOT helpful, as our enemies will use them against us.

Chakra Hammer on March 17, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Well Ed, I’ve been with Evangelical Christians since age 12.

Never heard of that guy, either.

newton on March 17, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Not to be overly cute but the only way – if we accept the argument – that the Republicans can be accused of being hypocritical on this issue is if their charges against Obama/Wright are indeed true.

One can’t be hypocritical – that is selectively applying a standard – if that standard being used isn’t violated.

If the charges by the Republicans aren’t true, then they can’t be hypocrites for using a bankrupt or incorrect charge.

Okay, too cutesy but you get my point. To wit, Schaeffer’s argument isn’t a defense of Obama; it’s simply an attack on the Republicans.

SteveMG on March 17, 2008 at 7:29 PM

who?

trailortrash on March 17, 2008 at 7:30 PM

His father, Francis Schaeffer, is famous in Reformed Christian and apologetic circles and his L’Abri community in Switzerland was pretty popular when he was alive. His books, A Christian Manifesto, The God Who Is There, Escape from Reason, He Is There and He Is Not Silent are well-known and I bet a lot of Christians have a copy of at least one of them in their library. He has influenced many Christians, especially those in apologetic cycles (including Professor Edgar of Westminster).

It is shocking that his son is an Obama supporter given his view of abortion.

michele on March 17, 2008 at 7:31 PM

You want hypocrisy? Liberals protecting racists. Now that’s hypocrisy.

As I’ve said here for months, this is a perfect storm for the Democrats that exposes all of their big lies. They Democratic party is nothing but a coalition of special interest groups. In this race, they are facing members of their two biggest groups fighting each other for control. That fight lays bare all the lies about their true beliefs as a whole.

TheBigOldDog on March 17, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Chakra Hammer on March 17, 2008 at 7:24 PM

I’m not too worried about that.

Our own MSM, State Department, and other school boy political bureaucrats in the Pentagon have been leaking State Secrets to hurt President Bush without thinking what it would do to the Nation for years…….

I just can’t wait until the Democratic Convention this Summer, where once again, we will hear the sweet, sweet music…….. “The whole wolrd is watching! The whole world is watching!”

… and this time, they will be.

Seven Percent Solution on March 17, 2008 at 7:34 PM

…can you say: S T R A W M A N ?!

Lockstein13 on March 17, 2008 at 7:34 PM

I heard of him yesterday when someone air dropped his name over at Tom McGuire’s. Had to google him. Apparently, he is the father of our movement. I get confused. I thought WFB was the father of our movement.

Sue on March 17, 2008 at 7:36 PM

This guy would have been better off regurgitating the Hagee stuff. At least that connects a crank to an actual Republican.

This is worse than a straw man it’s an invisible man.

seanhackbarth on March 17, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Paper dragon.

SouthernGent on March 17, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Like everyone else I have never heard of these guys. I do have some advice for the Dad though – disinherit your kid.

HawaiiLwyr on March 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM

I thought WFB was the father of our movement.

Sue on March 17, 2008 at 7:36 PM

He was. Schaeffer was more of a Christian-right father; Buckley was father of all things conservative.

emailnuevo on March 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM

HuffWho?

normsrevenge on March 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Schaeffer was more of a Christian-right father

Then why didn’t they drag him out of cold storage to use against Bush?

Sue on March 17, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Has anyone heard of this guy? I mean, besides Mike Huckabee?

Thought I was the only one with that question….

Branch Rickey on March 17, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Yes, I’ve heard of him and read some of his books. He ran a school in Switzerland but I don’t remember him as the radical his son claims he was. As I recall he was very staid mainstream protestant. Apparently, his son didn’t get the vibes.
It has been quite a few years since a read his books so I might not be remembering him correctly.I think my husband actually visited his school with his very vanilla Presbyterian parents. My father in law was a minister and if the guy was a wacko, I would have heard about it.

thatcher on March 17, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Don’t blame me.

I’m Catholic and I voted for Fred.

Connie on March 17, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Isn’t it odd how Obama has disassociated himself with his mother’s family and Frank whatever his last name is has disassociated himself with his father? What kind of brats did these people raise? I mean, I might not agree with my parents, in fact I don’t, she is a democrat, through and through, but I would never disassociate myself from her. Just cringe when she votes.

Sue on March 17, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Frank Schaeffer’s the guy who tries to clean my windshield with a wad of old newspapers at the on-ramp to the eastbound I-10 every afternoon.

Cicero43 on March 17, 2008 at 7:47 PM

emailnuevo on March 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM

No Russell Kirk?

Russell Kirk

Chakra Hammer on March 17, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Then why didn’t they drag him out of cold storage to use against Bush?

Sue on March 17, 2008 at 7:43 PM

‘Cause he’s been dead for quite awhile, and no one cares about his son.

emailnuevo on March 17, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Has anyone heard of this guy? I mean, besides Mike Huckabee?

What’s a huckabee?

peacenprosperity on March 17, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Nope. Don’t recall ever hearing of him.

Bob's Kid on March 17, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Chakra Hammer on March 17, 2008 at 7:48 PM

I know who he was, I don’t need the wikipedia article, but if there hadn’t been Buckley, Kirk would be a footnote of what could have been. Think of Buckley as both a brilliant political observer but, and this is the greatest of his gifts, a master craftsman that built a movement out of pieces, like Kirk.

emailnuevo on March 17, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Don’t blame me.

I’m Catholic and I voted for Fred.

Connie on March 17, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Don’t blame me.

I’m Baptist and would have voted for Rudy but MN had caucuses.

:\

Chakra Hammer on March 17, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Arguments with “these are the same people who…” generally bother me. Weasel words, unless you can point to specific individuals who have behaved hypocritically.

mikeyboss on March 17, 2008 at 7:51 PM

So, the GOP nominee is Mike Huckabee? Or was this Schaffer fellow John McCain’s pastor for the last 20 years? I must be a little confused here.

funky chicken on March 17, 2008 at 7:54 PM

emailnuevo on March 17, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Russell Kirk His 1953 book, The Conservative Mind, gave shape to the amorphous post-World War II conservative movement.

National Review that Kirk helped found in 1955 also Modern Age in 1957.

Chakra Hammer on March 17, 2008 at 7:57 PM

THIS is awesome!

Ex-tex on March 17, 2008 at 7:57 PM

I’m gonna guess that most voters are gonna share the same confusion I feel about this attempt to link McCain to ? Schaeffer the way Obama has linked himself to Wright.

Really, Obama’s “friends” in the media really need to stop trying to help him.

funky chicken on March 17, 2008 at 7:58 PM

I wrote a huge post about this on FR but then closed the window. I’m not going to type it all out again but here are a few things I noticed.

All he said was that God should damn America for our racism and violence and that no one had ever used the N-word about Hillary Clinton.

He is either completely minimizing or ignorant of Rev Wright’s rhetoric.

Here are the Francis Schaeffer quotes:

If there is a legitimate reason for the use of force [against the US government]… then at a certain point force is justifiable.

In the United States the materialistic, humanistic world view is being taught exclusively in most state schools… There is an obvious parallel between this and the situation in Russia [the USSR]. And we really must not be blind to the fact that indeed in the public schools in the United States all religious influence is as forcibly forbidden as in the Soviet Union….

There does come a time when force, even physical force, is appropriate… A true Christian in Hitler’s Germany and in the occupied countries should have defied the false and counterfeit state. This brings us to a current issue that is crucial for the future of the church in the United States, the issue of abortion… It is time we consciously realize that when any office commands what is contrary to God’s law it abrogates it’s authority. And our loyalty to the God who gave this law then requires that we make the appropriate response in that situation…

I guess anyone who takes God more seriously than government is automatically anti-American. Francis never fleshed out what physical actions to take and at what point. He would have been horrified at the abortion clinic bombers. He died in 1984(same year Wright went to Libya), shorty after that was written.

You Must Be Assimilated!

ninjapirate on March 17, 2008 at 8:01 PM

BTW, I like both Buckley and Kirk..
They are different make no mistake, both make good points.

Chakra Hammer on March 17, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Chakra Hammer on March 17, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Again, I get it, Kirk was important, but again, Buckley built a movement using Kirk. Kirk by himself would not be so widely remembered today without Buckley (NR was, above all else, Buckley’s brainchild).

emailnuevo on March 17, 2008 at 8:05 PM

emailnuevo on March 17, 2008 at 8:05 PM

Amazing how much stuff Buckley wrote.. :D

will be surely missed. :(

Chakra Hammer on March 17, 2008 at 8:09 PM

I have a book entitled C.S. Lewis & Francis Schaeffer: Lessons for a New Century from the Most Influential Apologists of Our Time. I’ve never gotten around to reading it.

JS on March 17, 2008 at 8:09 PM

The late Francis Schaeffer was a brillant scholar. The reason you don’t hear about him much is because his arguments were lucid and tight. No one wants to take him on. He is a leader in Christian Aplogetics. I do have some of his books, and although I personally didn’t care for his writing style and reasoning threads (which probably says more against me than him), I learned quite a bit from him.

I first heard Frank (V or VI or something), aka Franky, at Kansas City Youth for Christ in the early eighties. He was known as the “Angry Young Man.” He spoke against abortion and presented a powerful speech–with plenty of righteous indignation.

He got into some avant garde film and theater. I suspected then he may be jumping ship.

He’s a spoiled little rich kid who leveraged his father’s credentials onto the evangelical stage, developed a rep, and is now apparently disavowing the horse that brought him (if I may mangle my metaphors).

Short story: he’s an opportunist being used by an opportunist.

davidk on March 17, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Short story: he’s an opportunist being used by an opportunist.

davidk on March 17, 2008 at 8:10 PM

A perfect match? lewl

Branch Rickey on March 17, 2008 at 8:12 PM

I like Francis, but the reason people don’t hear about him is that he died 20+ years ago.

ninjapirate on March 17, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Hey, that’s where Franky went.

I had his kid, Fracis III, as a camper in the 80’s.

How Should We Then Live is absoultely towering, in my view, as an assesment of Western thought, Western Christian thought, and where it’s headed. If he compared the U.S. to Hitler, which reference I have not read, I’d bet good money it was in terms of heading towards a ruling elite who governed arbitrarily, rather than viewing government as springing directly from God.

Love to see the context of what he’s quoting, because good money says Franky is scoring points against his Dad solely because his audience has never actually read Frank Sr’s work. And since Franky is an obama supporter, we can safely assume they couldn’t understand if they tried. It’s dense stuff, but wonderful.

TexasDan on March 17, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Sounds to me like the son wants to be the next David Brock…maybe holding out for Soros to set him up with his own “War Room” like Media Matters. Brock certainly seems to have profited from turning his back on conservatism.

jeanneb on March 17, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Good article from David Limbaugh:

Wright Connection Fatally Undermines Obama’s Central Theme

Connie on March 17, 2008 at 8:33 PM

ninjapirate on March 17, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Well, I think maybe the real reason most people haven’t heard about him is they are more interested in the latest sitcom than in trying to fulfill the command in 1 Peter 3:15.

davidk on March 17, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Oh…THAT “Frank”

whew

franksalterego on March 17, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Didn’t Frank Schaeffer play Sgt. Carter on Gomer Pyle, USMC? Oh, wait–that was Frank Sutton, nevermind. Nope, never heard of the guy.

ReubenJCogburn on March 17, 2008 at 8:35 PM

Oh…THAT “Frank”

whew

franksalterego on March 17, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Heh.

davidk on March 17, 2008 at 8:35 PM

You almost have to pity them for their optimism, or rather naivety. If they think this guy’s “bombshell” is of the size or quality of that affecting Obama, well they should get out of the politics game because they have no understanding of the American people. Well, I suppose what most of them think is that most of us are stupid, brainwashed, ignorant, bigoted etc. They don’t say it openly (well some do) but they think it.

Sean68 on March 17, 2008 at 8:38 PM

As a former pastor and theologian, I believe that one reason American culture and politics is in the mess it is, is because we as a society no longer read the works of Francis Schaefer, C. S. Lewis, Augustine, and the like.

Schaeffer’s son seems to fall into that mold. His statements suggest that either he’s never read what his father wrote, or that he did but misunderstood what he actually said.

Sad, really.

psrch on March 17, 2008 at 8:39 PM

As a former … theologian,

psrch on March 17, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Former? Say it ain’t so.

davidk on March 17, 2008 at 8:47 PM

Ed, with all due respect. Why after declaring this man a
nonentity you still felt compelled to post such a vigorous response his diatribe?
Frank who? Would have sufficed.

RMR on March 17, 2008 at 8:49 PM

davidk on March 17, 2008 at 8:10 PM
You summed it up brilliantly! His father was a genius who made arguments that couldn’t be refuted and was talking purely about spiritual death of America. The result of that death was a degrading of society and the eventual destruction of the America that we knew 100 years ago, the God fearing, Bible believing America that showed respect for God, country and Church. Any right-wing Fundamentalist church is extremely patriotic and supportive of this country. There are of course the occasional crackpots, but they are in any group.

flytier on March 17, 2008 at 8:49 PM

TexasDan, Schaefer the Elder taken out of context? I’d be shocked, SHOCKED if that was the case.

seanhackbarth on March 17, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Francis Schaffer is, in my humble opinion, is one of the best minds Christianity produced in the last century. It is very sad that his own son turned his back on the God of his father for temporary self-gratification.

maynila on March 17, 2008 at 9:18 PM

I do know who he is, and I’m shocked. I liked him but this really burst my bubble.

Frank was raised by evangelical Christians, as noted above, had a famous and well respected father, went through a rebellious phase and (dunno what-all happened but in the end he) converted to Eastern Orthodoxy as an adult. Have heard him speak: he’s an excellent speaker and was eloquently pro-life at the time. One of his books was a defense of art against some Christians’ narrow (as he saw it) view of it, another was a novel, Portofino, a funny, well written semiautobiographical story of a young boy’s view of his fundamentalist (that’s a descriptor, not an insult) Christian parents.

Am with michele above. Frank’s shilling for Obama given how pro-life he is (or was) is really surprising, and very disappointing. I don’t know if he actually turned his back on God (the description of the latest book on Amazon leaves this unclear) but he’s very deluded now, to say the least, if he supports this proabortion far-left socialist.

inviolet on March 17, 2008 at 9:41 PM

You can get donut holes for a buck?

Hmmm, nobody’s called Rev. Wright a traitor?

Speakup on March 17, 2008 at 9:50 PM

What’s a huckabee?

peacenprosperity on March 17, 2008 at 7:48 PM

the healing has begun.

sulla on March 17, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Francis Schaeffer is a very influential figure. You can read more about this and learn what is behind this article by reading this article written by Os Guinness on Frank and his new book.

medguy on March 17, 2008 at 9:57 PM

You mean this Francis Schaeffer? He is one of the giants in modern Christian apologetics & applied theology. His main theme was the veracity of scripture – “the issue is truth! truth! flaming truth!”

The only controversy he stirred up was in ecumenical circles with his in-your-face fundamental Protestant-ism.

His son sounds like he has issues.

locomotivebreath1901 on March 17, 2008 at 10:15 PM

locomotive

Yes, that Francis Shaeffer. And Franky is rebelling against everything his brilliant father stood for.

jgapinoy on March 17, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Franky, Straw Man.

jgapinoy on March 17, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Yawn…

TheBigOldDog on March 17, 2008 at 7:17 PM

I love it when someone can sum it up in one word.

Hog Wild on March 17, 2008 at 10:30 PM

I’ve never heard of either of the Shaeffers, but it is sad when a son so willingly dishonors his father’s name.

p40tiger on March 17, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Dittos to those who recommend Francis Schaeffer–he’s a giant, indeed. He prodded evangelicalism out of its quietistic, fundamentalist slumber.

Frank, on the other hand, is on a crusade to repent of his father’s “sins.” A talented writer, but battling a legion of demons.

DRPrice on March 17, 2008 at 10:48 PM

I, along with many of you, can’t say enough to communicate what a brilliant man Francis Schaeffer was. He is very well respected, and it is absolutely shameful that his son would misuse and misquote his own father’s words in such a manner to further his own political ends.

One key difference between Schaeffer’s criticism of our society and Wright’s is that Schaeffer was more calling us back to what we had been, and Wright doesn’t think there was ever anything good to return to.

tikvah on March 18, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Francis Schaeffer was amazing, right up there with C.S. Lewis as a Christian philosopher. His son is… “not so much.” Schaeffer Sr. helped to shape my early Christian experience.

I will continue to be entertained by this Obama self destruction. Along with all of you I’m looking forward to his song and dance routine tomorrow as he attempts to defend the indefensible.

Mojave Mark on March 18, 2008 at 1:45 AM

tikvah on March 18, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Agreed; another difference is that Schaeffer (the older and saner one) never acted like anyone owed him anything. Nor were his words shod with anger or malice, as seems to be the case in so much of what has been revealed of late from the good Reverend Wright’s missives.

Franky could never fill his father’s boots. Pity.

Wanderlust on March 18, 2008 at 2:09 AM

Schaeffer Sr. was a brilliant man, many of whose works I’ve read. I’ve also listened to some of his speeches. Like Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Schaeffer wasn’t anti-American, and I never heard him compare the USA to Nazi Germany. What they did say, however, was that America was becoming increasingly secular.

As far as Schaeffer jr., just think Ron Reagan Sr., and Ron Reagan jr.

oldleprechaun on March 18, 2008 at 7:26 AM

Ed, you might want to broaden your reading list to include a few books outside of politics, because saying you have never heard of Francis Schaeffer is embarrassing. This is not a criticism, because we all tend to find a niche we really enjoy and stay there. But your political views need to be informed by more than just politics, don’t you agree? Keep up the good work.

gajaw999 on March 18, 2008 at 7:57 AM

Keep your eyes on the ball. Obama has a racist, vile dirtbag for a spiritual father.

saved on March 18, 2008 at 8:39 AM