Video: Juan Williams lowers the boom on Obama

posted at 6:19 pm on March 16, 2008 by Allahpundit

By special request of Ace, who tells me his commenters were buzzing about it this morning. Williams has never had much patience for grievance culture so this shouldn’t surprise. He’s juggling a lot of balls here — the “authenticity” motive, Michelle Obama’s comments, the feebleness of the crazy-uncle analogy, and of course the character question — but it boils down, once again, to expedience vs. commitment. Who’s the real Obama, the guy who shrugs at Wright’s sermons because he needs the racial credibility Wright gives him or the guy who casts Wright out of his virtual house lest the project of healing be impeded? Answer: Both. Whatever you need him to be, that’s what he is. That was Hillary’s point about the “blank screen” a few weeks ago. (See also Kaus.) How do you convince a subset of Republicans to vote for a guy who’s even further to the left than she is? You package him as nonpartisan, “willing to listen,” committed to Hope and Change above all, and voila — you’ve got “Obamicans.” He’s tripped badly over Wright this past week but don’t let that tree distract you from seeing the forest of what a spectacularly shrewd politician this guy is. If he had had the Clintons’ connections, he would have wrapped up the nomination around January 15th.

Here’s video from last year of the Messiah paying tribute to his spiritual guru and close personal friend, whose deepest political beliefs he had absolutely no idea about. Exit question: MyDD’s getting a tiny bit ahead of themselves here, aren’t they?

Link: sevenload.com

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You can’t, you can get Democrats to lie and say that they are Republicans, remember during 2004 all the calls to radio shows?

“I have Voted REPUBLICAN ALL MY LIFE, I VOTED FOR BUSH LAST TIME BUT THIS TIME I’m VOTING FOR John KERRY!”

UHHH HUH!!!!!! All over again.. Liberals like to lie.

Chakra Hammer on March 16, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Juan just lost his ghetto pass.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 16, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Juan just lost his ghetto pass.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 16, 2008 at 11:28 PM

I didn’t know that Blacks need a pass to enter the Hood.

But I’m sure he won’t get his supply of cocaine for a while.

Indy Conservative on March 16, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Juan also slams Obambi again & again on Geraldo’s show. Until this tsunami, I’d always perceived Juan to give Obambi credit at the roundtables. I guess, he didn’t get around to researching Pastor Wrong on his own. But give him credit for calling a spade a spade once made aware of the truth.

AH_C on March 16, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Some people might be counting Barack out too soon. Never underestimate the power of victim-hood in the Democrat party. If Barack successfully dons the cloak of victimhood over this then it’s still all over for Hillary.

There are already efforts underway to portray The Revisionist Wright as just a mis-understood modern Martin Luther King, and I do not jest.

This could turn again in a week, so fasten your seatbelts and keep your hands inside the car, it’s going to get even uglier out there.

Tark on March 16, 2008 at 8:07 PM

That could work to get him the veep slot and then it’s a tough election. All the Wright crapola could be swept under the rug for a veep?

funky chicken on March 16, 2008 at 11:46 PM

I didn’t know that Blacks need a pass to enter the Hood.

But I’m sure he won’t get his supply of cocaine for a while.

Indy Conservative on March 16, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Easy there hos. Juan’s a good guy. He’s too much of an apologists for bad behavior often, but far from a bleedin’ heart lib.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 16, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Yeah. And I’m drinking hot water to no avail.

Camel urine don’t work either. Not even the Arabian kind.

Indy Conservative on March 16, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Holy rollers have the White Hen closed on Sundays?! NO!

Jaibones on March 16, 2008 at 11:50 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 16, 2008 at 11:47 PM

I don’t believe he is saying what he feels, i.e. the truth.

Just because any guy is a “pundit” on Fox News, people should put some trust in him. It doesn’t work that way.

You have to follow what people say, not just for a day, but for a long period of time to form an opinion about a person. And I did.

Knowing the character of a person is crucial.

Indy Conservative on March 16, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Holy rollers have the White Hen closed on Sundays?! NO!

Jaibones on March 16, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Didn’t 7-Eleven acquired them?

They should be opened on Sundays.

Unfortunately, they don’t sell 30% alcohol Camel Urine, which is what I need.

I guess I’ll keep on drinking hot water.

Indy Conservative on March 17, 2008 at 12:00 AM

That was great.

ToddonCapeCod on March 17, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Rev. Swiftboat

JetBlast on March 17, 2008 at 1:10 AM

Juan just lost his ghetto pass.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 16, 2008 at 11:28 PM
I didn’t know that Blacks need a pass to enter the Hood.

But I’m sure he won’t get his supply of cocaine for a while.

Indy Conservative on March 16, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Well, he’s certainly gonna have his Jiver’s license suspended.

TBinSTL on March 17, 2008 at 2:34 AM

Obama’s “crazy uncle” defense is crapola.

Obama voted with his feet every Sunday for 20 years to listen to the hate spewed from that pulpit and to be surrounded by the vast majority of that congregation standing, cheering, and whooping it up louder and louder the nastier the sermons were. Check the audience in the videos.

Obama also voted with his feet to celebrate his own wedding while wading in that “religious” hate-filled church.

Obama exercising his good judgment?? My backside has better judgement.

Obama’s campaign – R.I.P.

fred5678 on March 17, 2008 at 3:07 AM

People are getting this all wrong. Wright, to liberals, is not “outlandish”. He merely says what liberals all believe but are scared to admit out loud. The problem here is that Obama is too close to someone who blows the liberal cover. Being exposed for who they really are is always their primary fear. Showing voters the hate that is the fundament of liberalism is the last thing any politician of the Left wants to do. Better to call it “hope”.

But to think liberals disagree with Wright is not to understand what makes them tick.

Halley on March 17, 2008 at 3:31 AM

No Allah, Obambi is not a good pol. He’s a bad one. A VERY bad one. It’s more a function of the weakness of the Dem Party and the Press that he’s got this far. And yeah, he’ll probably win the nomination. Right as videos of worse than “God Damn America” surface with Obama nodding and smiling along. You know they’re out there. And Hillary will play them. Or various 527 groups.

Obama is, as VDH points out, socially isolated. He knows only rich guilty white yuppies in BMWs. Does he know ANY working class white people? Billy Jeff at least could look back to his boyhood and REMEMBER those guys. Hillary doesn’t know them either but can REMEMBER her father who sorta had a connection to them.

Simple math. White working class guys make up the largest slice of the electorate at 25%. Add in white middle class guys and you’re pretty much at 51%. Guys working hard every day to make their mortgage payment are not gonna like “kill Whitey” from Obama and his Farrakhan-like minister. Nor his wife’s whining with added “it’s all Whitey’s fault.” This is that “Leon” Bud Light commercial writ large.

Obambi is too stupid and sheltered and bad at anything outside rich white yuppies and racist Blacks to figure out that pissing off by calling evil-racist the majority voting block is political suicide. Wright was going to sink his campaign no matter what. Anyone with a brain could have figured that all that video with all those statements and all those scenes of Barack Hussein Obama nodding along and smiling was political suicide, and possibly a near-death experience for the Dem Party as well (let’s hope).

I loathe and despise Maverick with the heat of a thousand suns, but heck with Barack Hussein Obama as the nominee I just won’t vote, I’ll volunteer and donate. Not cause I love Maverick mind you but because I don’t want Louis Farrakhan lite in the WH.

whiskey_199 on March 17, 2008 at 3:32 AM

I believe My DD pretty much nailed the oncoming scenario.

leanright on March 17, 2008 at 5:36 AM

Obama will not be judged by the color of his skin or by the content of his character.

“Or by his name”.

TheSitRep on March 17, 2008 at 6:42 AM

Agree with him or not, Juan usually says what he feels. I am happy he is honest enough on the Obama issue to speak his piece. I am also happy that Mara Liasson had the good sense to shut up and let him speak. If Juan was going to slam Obama, you KNOW Brit Hume wasn’t going to interrupt.

jimbo2008 on March 17, 2008 at 6:58 AM

I loathe and despise Maverick with the heat of a thousand suns

I guess we just learned what it takes to drive hard-headed conservatives to wax poetic.

When’s Captain Ed Morrissey going to hold a poetry reading at the downtown Minneapolis Starbucks?

philwynk on March 17, 2008 at 7:25 AM

Obama is nothing more than a Bill Clinton clone. Clearly he will lie and side with whatever is necessary to get him to the next day. He’ll say or agree until that position hurts him politically then he’ll throw a 20 yr friend and pastor under the Bus. Same old liberal fascist.

Mike Mose on March 17, 2008 at 8:11 AM

Has anyone noticed that it only seems to be Fox News that is casting a strong critical eye on B.O.? Virtually everywhere else you look out there in Mass Medialand, almost every other news organization out there is casting the same strong critical eye, but in Shillary instead. They all look upon B.O. as being the untouchable Anointed One. Talk about bias!

pilamaye on March 17, 2008 at 8:48 AM

I can’t help but laugh every time I catch myself rooting for Hillary. I can’t make up my mind whether Obama or Hillary would be best for McCain’s efforts. Obama’s got his arm around black racism and Hillary reeking of Clintonian history.

Ernest on March 17, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Barry is a slimy character.

Even in Massatoosits they don’t buy his line of crap.

benrand on March 17, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Liberals like love to lie.

Chakra Hammer on March 16, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Fixed.

infidel4life on March 17, 2008 at 9:55 AM

we’d probably be shocked to find out how much of Wrights views are mainstream in the black universities.

remember Professor: Kamau Kambon
from a couple years ago, the guy that wanted to “kill all white people” and was basing that on the notion of these type of nutty conpiracies which they truly beleive.

jp on March 17, 2008 at 10:07 AM

I don’t agree with Juan W. on much, but I do admire his dignity. I was at a press conference with Bill Cosby, who made some crack about no Black reporters being present and cut the interview short. Cosby’s rants about urban bro’s acting like trash seem hollow, but Juan walks the walk and manages to erase the race factor from his his views.

Hening on March 17, 2008 at 10:34 AM

My husband is a huge Obama supporter and we have nearly come to blows about it. He started out being just anti-Hillary, but more recently he has really drunk the Obamka kool-aid. He is doing a lot of volunteer work so I have gotten to see some of how that campaign is operating. It is pretty scary. They are really indoctrinating their volunteers. They are told to basically proselytize for Obama – not on the issues, but on “change” and “hope,” and Obama’s personal story. They are supposed to not believe anything negative they near about Saint Barack. They are not supposed to question anything about his background.

My big fear is that this whole thing is a campaign that existed before it found Barack Obama, and he is merely the front man they selected. It is a campaign of subversives whose main goal is to achieve power and then unilaterally disarm the United States and surrender to our enemies. There are serious radicals running that campaign and nobody is paying attention to the men behind the curtain. Obama himself is merely the Wizard of Oz.

rockmom on March 17, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Oh, and I forgot to add – there is nary a trace of red, white, and blue at Obama HQ in my town. That may seem like small beans, but when you put it together with the creey personality cult-like organization and tactics, with Obama’s refusal to wear the flag pin and put his hand over his heart for the national anthem, it is hard not to get the feeling that this is a stealth campaign to re-make America as we know it. Denial of all of our national symbols and colors has a deeper meaning, and we had all better pay attention before it it too late.
I am now convinced that America is in some serious trouble if this man is elected.

rockmom on March 17, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Barry O’Bama is the radical candidate.

It has some to this, I knew at some point the lefty radicals would use a trojan horse.

benrand on March 17, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Juan Williams, Fox New’s “token” playing the hypocrit card as usual.

TOPV on March 17, 2008 at 11:10 AM

My husband is a huge Obama supporter

Grounds for divorce in a red state.

peacenprosperity on March 17, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Obama is clever. I suspect he finds a rhetorical way out of this issue–though a bit damaged. We will have to bring up how left his other ideas and how left he has voted in the Senate also. By the way, I have a prediction on how he votes. If he wraps up the nomination, his voting on the floor of the Senate will take a sharp turn to the right.

thuja on March 17, 2008 at 11:36 AM

My husband is a huge Obama supporter
Grounds for divorce in a red state.

peacenprosperity on March 17, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Hahaha. We are in PA, used to live in Virginia. Been happily married for 23 years. There are some things more important than politics.

rockmom on March 17, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I agree with rockmom’s theory. I voiced a similar opinion a few weeks ago, that perhaps he was placed by outside forces who want control of this country from the inside. There’s too much about him that we don’t know and what we do know is starting to add up in one column only…negative, anti White, anti American, creepy Jim Jones, follow me and don’t question me, with a Messianic tone. I just want to elect a president, not join a cult. His promise of vague changes is starting to take on a more sinister tone for me.

UnEasyRider on March 17, 2008 at 1:04 PM

I don’t wear an American flag on my label either, doesn’t seem to make me any less of an American citizen.

So, after hearing about Obama’s Preacher, maybe we now know why Obama’s wife is such an angry person, and apparently very angry at White America. There is simply no way in hell that Obama could have attended church there for 20 years and not have heard the hate talk that apparently goes on in that church on a regular basis. If you believe him though, please let me know, I have some prime real estate in Florida I would like to sell you.

The more we learn about substance of this candidate, the iffier he becomes. Something about the bloom coming off the rose, or something like that?

Oh yes, I wear a miniature of the bronze star I was awarded in Vietnam on my label. Its red, white and blue.

Rockman44 on March 17, 2008 at 2:08 PM

rockmom on March 17, 2008 at 10:44 AM

The nightmare is our ignorance of our own history, rockmom.

We already skirted that chasm with FDR’s penultimate VP, Henry Wallace. Look up the latest, but ignored, research findings confirming the man’s continued secret adherence to Communism throughout his incumbency (which prior narratives alleged were discontinued).

Yet the Dems continue to whitewash that bit of political history, to the point of dedicating a special room to the man in Congress. And are succeeding because Americans pay more attention to the mall.

Now we’re tottering over a deeper abyss with Obama.

Which is why I keep challenging Hot Air to probe the explicit details of Obamassiah’s socio-political tutelage at the feet of a declared “Communist philosopher”, whom he wrote in his memoirs as being his teen- and young adulthood mentor in Hawaii.

Mojamaiko on March 17, 2008 at 4:08 PM

so how long before they call Juan Willams an uncle tom ????
5…….
4……
3…..
2….
1…

Mojack420 on March 17, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Alrighty. So. What are the chances Williams came out against BO so that Mr. Obama can be duly “chastised,” forget all about it, and go on with his campaign?

Bob's Kid on March 17, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Juan Williams was on the air immediately after the story condemning without equivocation Wright’s statements and offering a sober appraisal of Obama’s prospects in the wake of the videos surfacing. It’s got to be hard for a black man to write the epitaph of the first serious black presidential candidate, but Williams did it; and it took guts.

Sean68 on March 18, 2008 at 1:23 AM

I hate to sound like a conspiracy nut, but that is not an unlikely scenario. Look at how his career has progressed — not based on hard work, but on having the skids greased for him by powerful (left-wing) friends. He pretty much strolled into the Illinois Senate, the U.S. Senate, and (almost) the Democratic nomination. Maybe he’s the real Manchurian Candidate.

/tinfoil hat off