2007 Profile: Wright provides “spiritual guidance” for Obama, Oprah

posted at 7:59 am on March 14, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Before the press began looking into the inflammatory rhetoric of Rev. Jeremiah Wright, they fawned over his association with Barack Obama and Oprah Winfrey. In a Chicago Tribune profile that appeared just as Obama announced his candidacy for the presidency in January 2007, the Senator confirmed the close relationship with the firebrand preacher at Trinity United Church. Wright provides both a moral compass and political advice, Obama said — then:

Wright, 65, is a straight-talking pragmatist who arrived in Chicago as an outsider and became an institution. He has built a congregation of 8,500, including the likes of Oprah Winfrey and hip-hop artist Common, by offering an alternative to socially conservative black churches that are, Wright believes, too closely tied to Chicago’s political dynasties.

Obama, too, also came to the city as a young unknown. Emerging from relative obscurity with his win in the Democratic U.S. Senate primary race for a U.S. Senate seat, he found a growing audience by preaching the politics of social justice and common ground. He has encouraged Democrats to acknowledge the power of faith in the lives of Americans. Now, he is positioning himself as a presidential candidate who can unify the American people.

Obama says that rather than advising him on strategy, Wright helps keep his priorities straight and his moral compass calibrated.

“What I value most about Pastor Wright is not his day-to-day political advice,” Obama said. “He’s much more of a sounding board for me to make sure that I am speaking as truthfully about what I believe as possible and that I’m not losing myself in some of the hype and hoopla and stress that’s involved in national politics.”

This sounds much different than Obama’s “old uncle” analogy that he has used of late as more of Wright’s inflammatory rhetoric has come to light. Wright has always stirred controversy, but not to the level that Obama feels now. Calling on his congregation to say “God damn America” and railing at Hillary Clinton because she has never been called the N-word may not have a great impact on the rapidly diminishing number of primary elections Obama has to face before winning the nomination. It will have a huge impact on how people see him in the general election, since as Obama himself stated in this piece, he seeks out Wright for political guidance before making any “bold” political moves.

What kind of advice would people believe him to receive from Wright, after having heard his sermons? And why would Obama seek it, and feel comfortable in the race-baiting environment Wright provides?

Obama may have less to lose than Oprah Winfrey, however. She has built a media empire by making herself accessible to women across all demographic lines. Not many people would associate Oprah’s easygoing nature and warm, welcomng appeal with the kind of oratory provided by Wright. Both Obama and Winfrey may have to tune their “old uncle” messages in the weeks and months ahead, if they want to continue their wide appeal to Americans who don’t feel compelled to ask for God’s damnation on the nation they love.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

From what I have seen and heard, “Rev.” Wright is as bad if not worse than Calypso Louis Farrakhan: racist, anti-American and perveyor of pure hatred.

jimbo2008 on March 14, 2008 at 8:05 AM

I’m getting sick of hearing about Obama’s psychological “issues.”

He’s conflicted about being half white/half black
He’s conflicted about being American and African
He’s conflicted about being a former Muslim and a Christian (of sorts) now.
He’s conflicted about his father abandoning him.
He’s conflicted about being rich and poor.
He’s conflicted about EVERYTHING.

blah, blah blah

Wright is a substitute black father and Oprah is his substitute black mother.

The guy is PSYCHOLOGICALLY UNFIT to be President. He is a walking contradiction who doesn’t know wtf he is.

His desperation to fit in is so obvious as to be both painful to watch and sickening.

Enough!

JiangxiDad on March 14, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Enough!

JiangxiDad on March 14, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Dude, this is election season: you ain’t seen NOTHIN’ yet.

jimbo2008 on March 14, 2008 at 8:08 AM

I hope the GDAmerican comments are directed at the
Democratic Party,because Republicans did’t say a
word in the last 4 months.The Liberal Party owns
this mess!

canopfor on March 14, 2008 at 8:08 AM

Obama can’t simply deny that vile, seditions bum, he’s too closely tied to him and his ideas. Wright is the kind of person that represents Obama’s philosophy and if you vote for Obama you’re voting for pure hatred. Unfortunately, many are being suckered in by his slick talk. The Republic is heading for a train wreck.

rplat on March 14, 2008 at 8:10 AM

OBAMA’S CHANGE = NEW RACIAL ORDER = “WHITEY” FINALLY GETS WHAT HE’S HAD COMIN’ FOR A LONG TIME.

jimbo2008 on March 14, 2008 at 8:14 AM

The Republic is heading for a train wreck.

rplat on March 14, 2008 at 8:10 AM

Long overdue. Pandering to minorities by the Democrats and the media has created this two tiered country of the permanently aggrieved who feel entitled to continual government subsidies and interventions on their behalf.
Why wouldn’t they demand their candidate win, and threaten to burn down Denver if he doesn’t. That strategy has been effective for years.

You wanna burn it down, burn it down. But be prepared to reap what you sow.

JiangxiDad on March 14, 2008 at 8:17 AM

The fact that Obama takes his young daughters to listen to this cretin’s sermons tells you all you need to know about his judgment and outlook.

He may claim that he is able to seprate the wheat from the chaff in his “crazy uncle’s” rantings, but does he really think his 6 year old can?

BuzzCrutcher on March 14, 2008 at 8:24 AM

You can say that this is guilt by association, but when you combine this with Michelle Obama’s comments you really have to wonder where Obama’s moral center really is. I said here in these very pages that as a resident of Illinois I have seen Obama be a cameleon. His wife introduced him the night of his Senate win as, “My babies daddy.” It is a cultural, not a race issue.

Pastor Wright is repeating conspiracy theories I had heard at the dawn of the internet and that black friends had told me about before the net was around. And repeating them as fact to his congregation. The video shows his congregation’s agreement with his statements. That is the sad thing.
DKK

LifeTrek on March 14, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Obama’s success is a prime example of the blindness and stupidity of half this country. Here we have a guy who wants to raise taxes by $1trillion, declare defeat in Iraq, socialize every aspect of our society and he prays with the country’s biggest two America haters. If that’s not bad enough, he’s not remotely qualified to hold the office. Nevertheless, half this country thinks that he’s the “second coming”. The stupidity of people in this country knows no bounds.

orlandocajun on March 14, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Funny reversal of situations, ala the George “I have black friends” Costanza no-win position that white people have been put into.

Trinity has been trotting out their 2 white members as proof that they are not racist.

Rev. Jane Fisler-Hoffman and her Husband == Carl the Exterminator

IreneFingIrene on March 14, 2008 at 8:29 AM

The stupidity of people in this country knows no bounds.

orlandocajun on March 14, 2008 at 8:26 AM

I have come to same conclusion. But that means the democratic system has reached its conclusion in this country.

It was alway just a matter of time. All restrictions against voting were removed, and the people, in their “wisdom”, have been voting themselves a handout.

We’re becoming a huge Ponzi scheme and the fallout is gonna be brutal.

JiangxiDad on March 14, 2008 at 8:30 AM

This stuff will kill Barry’s chances, that’s why Andi Cooper at CNN is trying to Move On.

This is gigantic.

My girl Hilly must be loving this. I can see her evil smirk now.

benrand on March 14, 2008 at 8:31 AM

Buzz, I think you hit the nail on the head. Any man or woman who takes his young daughters to hear this miscreant’s rants is not fit to be President.
The fact that Obama has not forcefully and unequivocally repudiated this idiot will, mark my words, cost him this election (thank God). The best part is, it’s too damn late for him to do it now.

Alamo on March 14, 2008 at 8:35 AM

jimbo2008 on March 14, 2008 at 8:05 AM

At least one can write Calypso Louis off to being a crazy Nation of islam character. This guy is supposed to be a Christian minister.
/spit

bikermailman on March 14, 2008 at 8:35 AM

Check out what Oprah’s been pimping lately.

ninjapirate on March 14, 2008 at 8:37 AM

Breaking News! Obama has just trotted out his new public relations director to stop the bleeding.

Alden Pyle on March 14, 2008 at 8:37 AM

Um, sure. He’s the only guy you could go to as a sounding board, and you don’t listen to his day-to-day politics? I’m not buying that spin.

rbj on March 14, 2008 at 8:37 AM

whoops, last link NSFW language

Alden Pyle on March 14, 2008 at 8:39 AM

Before the invasion of Iraq, every intelligence agency and virtually every politician, even Democrats, believed that Saddam had WMD and supported terrorists of one kind or another. The question was, how to deal with a regime that not only ignored UN resolutions, but was successfully undermining the sanctions regime, through the UN’s oil for food program, smuggling, and pressure by the Chinese, Russians and French to do business as usual. In the face of this, most of congress supported some kind of action against Iraq. Yet, Obama proudly claims he was smart enough not to support military action. So far as I know, he didn’t offer any alternatives.

My suspicion is that prior to his 2002 speech against a war with Iraq, Obama consulted with his Reverend Wright who, in his world view, considers the US to be evil, and came away denouncing any military action. If so, I have to wonder whether Obama was against the war because he was so visionary to see that it would be against US interests, or whether he was convinced by Wright that Saddam was a great man like Wright/Farrakhan’s friend and Libyan dictator Mu’ummar Qadhafi.

NNtrancer on March 14, 2008 at 8:40 AM

There are five groups of people in America:

1 – Blacks

They live in their own world. The anti-White world. They vote for Hussein because they say that “this is the time to take over America, it is the time to beat those White people and Hussein can do it.”

2 – White Liberals

Delusional, idiots, brainwashed. They live in a fantasy world where they think perfection is at hand and Kumbaya is their National Anthem.

Both groups share a common thing:

They HATE America.

The Blacks hate America because of the Whites’ domination.

The White Liberals hate America because they think she is the world’s source of evil, miseries and injustice.

3 – Muslims

They share the Blacks’ views and vice versa. They want to rule America and turn it into an Islamic nation with the help of Blacks and White Liberals, especially at the polling places. With two Muslim Congressmen and a potential President, they are marching slowly but steadily towards their goal, even if it takes decades.

4 – Latinos

They don’t hate America but at the same time are not so much in love with her because they think they are not treated “equally,” especially at the borders, you know what I mean.

5 – Republicans and Conservatives

They Love America, its Constitution, its culture, its language and its traditions. They think America is and should be a melting pot, not a divided nation because nations do not last among divisions. Nationalism is what binds a nation together.

Indy Conservative on March 14, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Wright is a substitute black father and Oprah is his substitute black mother.

JiangxiDad on March 14, 2008 at 8:06 AM

I was just about to say the same thing.

Obama is another James Frey. He has created a largely fictional identity to replace his middle class (albeit Leftist) upbringing.

Buy Danish on March 14, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Wright is a vitriolic racist: blacks are victims because whites are the cause of all evil in the world.

Barry and Michelle have been nodding their heads in agreement from the pews for 20 years.

Michelle Obama, perhaps ore than Barry, has been drinking long and hard from that Kool-Aid.

rockbend on March 14, 2008 at 8:48 AM

More Obamagasms that will come back to haunt him.

NeoconNews.com on March 14, 2008 at 8:49 AM

I heard that up until a lil while ago you could purchase your own copy of the “God Damn America” on videotape or DVD for the healthy price of 19.95 plus tax in the Church lobby.

Something tells me that you probably won’t find a copy now.

Have a great day!

Scorched_Earth on March 14, 2008 at 8:50 AM

Obama? Oprah? O No!!!!11!

carbon_footprint on March 14, 2008 at 8:52 AM

JiangxiDad on March 14, 2008 at 8:06 AM

You racist!

carbon_footprint on March 14, 2008 at 8:53 AM

“God damn America.” Unfortunately, I think that’s a campaign slogan that would actually appeal to quite a few people.

meandchi on March 14, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Just imagine, if you will, if John McCain had a “spiritual leader” that preached hatred from the opposite end of the color spectrum. The MSM would be non-stop.

carbon_footprint on March 14, 2008 at 8:55 AM

The Reverend Wright’s church worships at the altar of black victimization and if Obama didn’t share the Reverend’s world view, he wouldn’t be in the congregation.

NNtrancer on March 14, 2008 at 8:55 AM

I am still unable to get my arms around the ‘black Jesus’ comment made by Wright. Wright is wrong on so many levels.

carbon_footprint on March 14, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Gerald spittoon Rivers on Fox this morning seemed to minimize the Rev Wrong’s rhetoric claiming it has nothing to do with his theology, just politics.
Believe me it sounds like heart talk to me. As far as being a sounding board for Obama–more like an ironing board to make sure we get all the white wrinkles out.

wepeople on March 14, 2008 at 9:00 AM

If you Google God Damn America you get 161,000 hits. It will be interesting to see that number rise.

Buy Danish on March 14, 2008 at 9:00 AM

You should hear the moonbats calling Boston talk radio defending Obama and Wright. It’s amazing. The more they talk the more your realize they completely agree with everything Wright said. The more the defend him the worse it gets for Obama with regular folks.

TheBigOldDog on March 14, 2008 at 9:01 AM

LOL. Here’s an attempt to be fair and balanced from the Guardian U.K.:

Such disputes are not exclusive to the Democrats. John McCain, the Republican nominee, is under pressure to repudiate a televangelist supporter, the Rev Rod Parsley, who has spoken of a clash of civilisations between Islam and Christianity.

Buy Danish on March 14, 2008 at 9:06 AM

PS – The first caller Rush had yesterday asked Rush to point out what Wright said that was wrong…. The more his supporters defend him the worse it is for Obama.

TheBigOldDog on March 14, 2008 at 9:08 AM

Indy Conservative on March 14, 2008 at 8:44 AM

I’m black and I don’t hate America! I think Obama’s lil Reverend friend will cost him the election and this is a good thing.

Scorched_Earth on March 14, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Yeah, I really want a radical leftist deciding whether I get health care.

Put aside the seething race, class, and gender vendettas in the democrat soul, and ignore the ominous subtext of their preaching, the subtext that sounds an awful lot like an obsession with payback against you and me. Imagine all that nastiness wasn’t part of the democrat equation, imagine that you could take democrats at face value, and that you could believe they sincerely want to give you and me good health care.

They’re incompetent to give it.

Just look at what the democrat party did to their own primary elections. Like everything else democrats do, they micromanaged the thing toward an abstract egalitarian utopia and now the whole thing’s FUBAR. Entire states have had their results invalidated and nobody knows how to fix it.

jeff_from_mpls on March 14, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Buy Danish on March 14, 2008 at 9:00 AM

How do you tell how many hits?
I just did it and found 2 million web pages.

ArmyAunt on March 14, 2008 at 9:11 AM

ArmyAunt on March 14, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Woops! I had 2 Google pages open – one for God Damn America and one for God Bless America and I looked at the wrong one!

I just refreshed the page and I’m getting 1,020,00 hits…

Buy Danish on March 14, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Indy Conservative on March 14, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Scorched_Earth on March 14, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Obviously there are few exceptions to the rule. I was talking in general. I didn’t need to elaborate. Now I guess I’m doing it.

Indy Conservative on March 14, 2008 at 9:17 AM

I get 39,800 hits.

ninjapirate on March 14, 2008 at 9:18 AM

A Democracy without a strong sense of civics is doomed. We have traded in our sense of civics for political correctness and diversity.

A democracy can only last as long as the poeople do not begin voting for “bread and circuses”. The founding fathers knew this. That is why we are a representational republic. But the politicians have created themselves as a new ruling caste, which is contrary to what the founding fathers wanted. Now days the politicians will give the people everything they think the people want just so they can stay in office. And the people continue to sit around fat and happy while they are distracted by a bald britney nd feeding on government cheese.

Wyrd on March 14, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Really??

Results 1 – 10 of about 1,230,000 for god damn america. (0.22 seconds)

ArmyAunt on March 14, 2008 at 9:20 AM

That’s weird. Now Google has it as 984,000 hits. One of my comments at Hot Air is #8.

Buy Danish on March 14, 2008 at 9:20 AM

Okay, this is what I Googled exactly:

God Damn America

Buy Danish on March 14, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Wright preaches hate pure and simple – there is nothing of the Gospel in his sermons, at least of what I’ve heard. And, in my opinion, Obama is ok with it. After all he’s been a member of that church for 20 years and I assume he’s made his tithes and offerings, so he’s hearing something that is tickling his itching ears (biblical term). Truth be known, I suspect, and once again my own opinion, Obama agrees with his hate-mongering pastor or he would have either walked out, left the church or since he became a candidate, renounced the hatred. But he hasnt.
Speaking for myself, if my pastor ever said such a thing from the pulpit as Wright does, using God’s name in vain and name calling, I’d walk out. And he’d know by that afternoon I would do everything I could to get him out. Barring that I’d find another church.
I would love to debate Wright on theology, but he wouldnt stick to the topic. Hannity tried to ask him about his theological beliefs and he turned the arguments back on Hannity referring to some obscure leftist authors. He’s the worse kind of preacher – one who preaches a social gospel and ignores the Gospel of Jesus.

abcurtis on March 14, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Well looky here:
Results 1 – 10 of about 1,240,000 for god damn america. (0.05 seconds)

Another 10,000 hits in a couple of minutes.

ArmyAunt on March 14, 2008 at 9:22 AM

abcurtis on March 14, 2008 at 9:21 AM

How do you think you would explain “riding dirty” to a child who was present during that sermon?

That guy is filth!

ArmyAunt on March 14, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Hmmmmm. My Google search has it going down, not up. Now it’s at 982,000.

Are people deleting entire websites? Anyone know how this works?

Buy Danish on March 14, 2008 at 9:25 AM

I know there are a lot of conservatives who have said that they will not vote for John McCain. I don’t really like him either, but if the alternative is buddies with this freaking lunatic? Scary.

WisCon on March 14, 2008 at 9:25 AM

And Cooper on CNN last night was spinning this as, should this even be discussed? He is not running for office…..
As if a Republican went to the David Duke church and they would leave that alone HA.

ArmyAunt on March 14, 2008 at 9:26 AM

WisCon on March 14, 2008 at 9:25 AM

According to Pew polls, 20% of white DEMS will not vote for Obama. Wonder how high that number will go now?
McCain isn’t my first choice either, but I will do everything I can to keep this type of raciscm out of the White House.
You cannot tell me that Obama doesn’t agree with this, he has listened to this for 20 YEARS. This guy has been his pastor and is his spiritual advisor.
No wonder Michelle O is such a hater of America.

ArmyAunt on March 14, 2008 at 9:29 AM

One thing that might prove an interesting side story to all this are Oprah’s talk show ratings during May sweeps. In the city where I live her ratings are down about a third during the February sweeps from the previous sweep period in November. I haven’t try to look up the national ratings on this one but I would not be a bit surprised to see the same trend in most cities with the exception of true blue moonbat cities like NYC and San Francisco.

Nahanni on March 14, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Here is what I get on Yahoo search:

1 – 10 of 36,400,000 for god damn america (About) – 0.09

ArmyAunt on March 14, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Indy Conservative on March 14, 2008 at 8:44 AM

You know, that’s the kind of stuff that only helps the other side.

WisCon on March 14, 2008 at 9:31 AM

To people who suck at the internet: please use quotation marks around phrases when you search on google.

ninjapirate on March 14, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Indy,

I know plenty of Black Americans who would be appalled by and instantly reject Wrights venom. These same folks may have been Barry O fans, but I would bet that Wright’s message of hate will lose Obama black votes. There are thousands of black folks serving this country in the armed services, and they tend to have a much better understanding of the USA’s positive role in the world than the urban victim class.

Alamo on March 14, 2008 at 9:36 AM

ninjapirate on March 14, 2008 at 9:32 AM

I’m quite adept at Googling and I rarely use quotation marks. Indeed, if one does it your way you get this

19,200 hits. I think I’ll stick with my way of Googling.

Buy Danish on March 14, 2008 at 9:36 AM

Obama is toast! Can I get an Amen?

soulsirkus on March 14, 2008 at 9:36 AM

Buy Danish on March 14, 2008 at 8:47 AM

I was thinking Vanilla Ice, but this works too.

James on March 14, 2008 at 9:41 AM

19,200 hits. I think I’ll stick with my way of Googling.

You aren’t even searching for the phrase. You get any page with the words God+Damn+America on them.

ninjapirate on March 14, 2008 at 9:42 AM

America’s chicken’s are coming home to roost…

Ya just can’t make this good stuff up :-)

Who needs terrorist when America’s own rhetoric, corruption and abominations (legalized sodomy, blasphemy, murder of children, etc.) will destroy her.

TOPV on March 14, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Indy,

Alamo on March 14, 2008 at 9:36 AM

Now, do I have to repeat myself for every poster?

In general, Blacks see this country as a White-dominated.

They are not in love with the White America. It is not the country they want, it doesn’t belong to them.

Hussein is their chance to take over.

If you tell me otherwise, then you’re mistaken.

I talk to Black people all the time, everyday, and they are not hiding their true feelings towards America as some do on message boards. And their true feelings are what I am describing.

Indy Conservative on March 14, 2008 at 9:48 AM

How did we get to this point as a country? How is this guy even this close to being in charge of it all?

TroubledMonkey on March 14, 2008 at 9:49 AM

They are so arrogant, that they will only see it as a racist issue, and not a moral or political issue.
They will go down defending this “pastor” and his hate speech…the perfect opening for Hillary, if she knew how to use it…maybe he wouldn’t be so much a hatin if he had been raised by a “white” woman like Obama…

right2bright on March 14, 2008 at 9:50 AM

TheBigOldDog on March 14, 2008 at 9:01 AM

I think that’s the real point. The press and the Obama campaign (but I repeat myself) will spin this as irrelevant and guilt by association (oh, wait, Allahpundit has already done that!). But it’s clearly not, and the more you see the video of the UCC racist blacks standing and cheering this hate, the more you understand how this is accepted wisdom among a fringe element of America haters, including self-hating liberal whites like Obama.

And that revelation will completely isolate Obama from the middle class and even a good percentage of white Democrats.

Sadly, it will only offend a small percentage of blacks. Happily, that small percentage have spoken loud and clear here at HotAir.

Jaibones on March 14, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Thanks to Rev. Wright, many “Whitey” Americans are having a second look at racism.

Thank you Dems for bringing this guy upfront, that’s really liberal thing to do.

Aristotle on March 14, 2008 at 9:54 AM

If McCain has the cajones to do it, and that’s a big question mark…I can envision the October commercial right now.

Black screen with Wright’s voice repeating “god damn America” several times. Fades in to Wright behind his perverted pulpit with “god damn America” several more times. Screen fades to shot of Obama and Wright embracing and smiling. Voice over, “This man has been a spiritual advisor and pastor/mentor to Barack Hussein Obama, candidate for President of the United States for over 20 years. Will he still have the ear of a Presdient Obama? Do you want to take that chance?

sdd on March 14, 2008 at 9:54 AM

ninjapirate on March 14, 2008 at 9:42 AM

I didn’t put “+” in my search between the words. As I said earlier, I Googled God Damn America. No quotation marks, no plus signs.

I would only use “+” signs if I was Googling something like Obama+Pastor+God Damn America.

You get irrelevant stuff your way too, but the number of hits are smaller. I’ll keep it in mind in the future.

I was thinking Vanilla Ice, but this works too.

James on March 14, 2008 at 9:41 AM

James Frey works because of the Oprah connection.

Buy Danish on March 14, 2008 at 9:58 AM

sdd on March 14, 2008 at 9:54 AM

That will never happen because it’s not the “classy, reach around the isle” kind of campaigning McCain intends to do.

No personal attacks – meaning mentioning assossiations (Wright/Rezko/Michelle), History (Islam/Creepy church/college) and even his OWN MIDDLE NAME is off limits.

Aristotle on March 14, 2008 at 9:59 AM

First we had the picture of Che Guevara in one of Obama’s campaign officers; then, his wife disses America; then, his vile, racist minister espouses ridiculous lies and states that God should damn America. Anybody that believes Obama doesn’t know about these events or that he doesn’t support these activities is either hopelessly naive or shares his political and social philosophies. The man is at best a hard core Marxist and a danger to the Republic.

rplat on March 14, 2008 at 9:59 AM

I noticed the picture of Fauxbama and Wright and thought Wright is considerably “whiter” than Fauxbama, who is of course half white. In Wright’s case, it’s a matter of way too many “whiteys in the woodpile”, and obvious self loathing for it…I’ve often thought when the “subject” of reparations comes up, a lot of these guys could very well be writing checks to themselves..McCain’08…

adamsmith on March 14, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Can I question Oprah’s patriotism then? I knew there was something weird about her.

j0 on March 14, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Wright, being a American hating racist, is indicative of how many black leaders have maintained their status as well as their incomes by being parasites on the black community. Obama’s 20 year relationship with this guy automatically makes him unfit to represent the American people.

volsense on March 14, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Indy Conservative on March 14, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Not exactly what I would call an appropriate sample size.

a capella on March 14, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Jaibones on March 14, 2008 at 9:52 AM

I would imagine that Jewish voters who aren’t neo-Communist “peace” and union activists” will reject him. Those who are neo-coms will love him all the more.

Buy Danish on March 14, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Not exactly what I would call an appropriate sample size.

a capella on March 14, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Reading opinions, meeting people, watching news, elections results, etc.. I think you can form an opinion after examining all that. Why do I have to elaborate for every poster?

Indy Conservative on March 14, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Sadly, for many this will be stored in the “America’s not ready for a black president” file. I know that’s not the case. We’re just not ready for this black president. The racism comes from the Obama side via our concerns with his spiritual advisor and the message he sends. We will never be ready for this guy, who happens to be black, to be our president.

sheesh on March 14, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Now I know the next time someone accuses me of using “hate speech,” I can simply explain, “Why, no, I’m simply a straight-talking pragmatist®.”

saint kansas on March 14, 2008 at 10:13 AM

America’s chicken’s are coming home to roost…

Ya just can’t make this good stuff up :-)

TOPV on March 14, 2008 at 9:47 AM

He didn’t make it up; he ‘borrowed’ that gem from Malcom X.

carbon_footprint on March 14, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Buy Danish on March 14, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Many a mainstream candidate has gone down to defeat waiting for the American Jewish voter to reject knee-jerk liberalism and partisan Democrat instinct and vote logically. I’m not holding my breath.

I think those who will abandon this douchebag are Christians who will be horrified by this anti-Christian Jeremiad in a place of worship – Catholics, Methodists, and evangelicals who don’t also happen to be hateful leftists.

Jaibones on March 14, 2008 at 10:15 AM

“Why, no, I’m simply a straight-talking pragmatist®.”

saint kansas on March 14, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Heh.

Jaibones on March 14, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Indy Conservative on March 14, 2008 at 10:10 AM

You didn’t state it as an opinion. You presented it as a fact, which equates to a scientific conclusion based on reproducible results in the real world. Some of what you say may be valid, but you haven’t proved it. You have no proof most black posters on message boards lie about their true feelings. That is an assumption you made to strengthen your conclusion, unless you can prove otherwise.

a capella on March 14, 2008 at 10:19 AM

sdd on March 14, 2008 at 9:54 AM

You gotta include the US-of-KKK in there. Add in the kooky chubby old pastor dressed in some tribal shirt jumping around like a Somali rebel behind the pulpit and the 2 guys dressed like pimps from Beretta tv show slapping him on the back like James Brown’s cape man and now you’ve got a commercial.

Alden Pyle on March 14, 2008 at 10:21 AM

sdd on March 14, 2008 at 9:54 AM

And a rather large ear at that.

txsurveyor on March 14, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Alden Pyle on March 14, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Yeah, the congregation’s reaction was almost as disturbing as Wright’s words. They have bought it and they like it. We know Michelle Obama does, especially if she is the one who introduced Barak into the church before they were married.

a capella on March 14, 2008 at 10:29 AM

And a rather large ear at that.

txsurveyor on March 14, 2008 at 10:25 AM

That’s odd, I’ve watched many Space Ghost Coast to Coast episodes and I don’t recall Brak having any ears at all.

James on March 14, 2008 at 10:40 AM

a capella on March 14, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Sure it’s a fact. And I also said, in general.

Indy Conservative on March 14, 2008 at 10:40 AM

I’ve seen enough con-artists in my life, to know one when I see one.

My mom told me, years ago, that an honest man can’t be conned or swindled…Reason being, a con-artist relies on YOUR greed – YOUR expectation of something for nothing.

If polling is any indication, this has become a nation of pigeons and suckers.

franksalterego on March 14, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Okra Winfrey has a logical explanation for her stance.
When she heard Revrum Wright railing about crackers she thought he meant saltines.

viking01 on March 14, 2008 at 10:44 AM

The Dems Convention is going to be very interesting, to say the least…

As for “Reverend” Wright: he’s nothing but a false teacher. Take it from here, St. Peter!.

1But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

2And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

3And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

[...]

19While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.

[...]

22But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

“Rev.” Wright ["Wrong"?] and the Obamas are in more serious trouble than they ever had thought.

newton on March 14, 2008 at 10:47 AM

What I would like to know is how Obama thought he could hide his crazy uncle until November? His campaign had to know this would be a problem. Terrible judgement by the Obama’s to attend such a racist, anti-american Church. How in the world do you bring young children into that type of hate filled environment? How could you listen to this crap for 20 years? This begins the demise of the messiah. No way he becomes POTUS.

chief on March 14, 2008 at 10:47 AM

You keep speaking the “truth”, Barry.
Obama-nation! indeed.

sleepy-beans on March 14, 2008 at 10:49 AM

chief on March 14, 2008 at 10:47 AM

I think you have it backwards…terrible judgement by Obama to think he could be President with this in his past.

James on March 14, 2008 at 10:51 AM

James on March 14, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Well, not backwards…because it was terrible judgement for anyone to listen to that crap. But more to the point, I mean.

James on March 14, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Obama is a racist and America hater. He belonged to a church for 20+ years and listened to the lame rantings of the so-called preacher and did nothing. His silence equals acceptance of the trash that was spewed. Failure to condemn it is the same as supporting it.

TooTall on March 14, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Laura Ingraham questions why Obama’s religious affiliation remains strong; because THAT is where his core base remains and where his original funding alliance emerged, international channels to boot. What better way to cover terrorism than in the cloak of a so-called Trinity Church of Christ? It has such a nice ring to it. In the name of Jesus, Mohammed and Obama, amen. Sucker white folk feel good doers donate to black pseudo-muslim/christian (whatever sells) anti-American political radicals who are perpetuated by wealthy muslim internationals with strong Palestinian ties. Obama has his cake and eats it, too.

Skipping the MSM, what took so long for the story to break? Since the MSM TV continues to black-out the story, and PC “can’t we all just get along” GOP bloggers see it as merely victimization, ignoring the very real kaleidoscopic ramifications of the blatant racism in order to appear better than that or above it all, how long will the blogosphere’s indignance last and where will it actually lead?

So stateside there’s Spitzer who’s begging for plea bargains he has no business getting and Obama begging for white support he has no legitimacy representing while abroad there’s the US recognition of the illegitimate Kosovo “independence” and the resignation of our military leader in Iraq who refuses to endorse an Iranian invasion supposedly in the works by our President (son of a CIA director and president) and previous CIA director now secretary of defense.

Meanwhile, McCain’s under wraps.

maverick muse on March 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Thank the Lord for Freedom of Speech.

Without it, we may have never known how Rev. Wright, and his Fellow Travelers really feel.

I tell all my friends, that if you keep your mouth shut, and your ears open, eventually, a person will tell on himself.

Thanks again, Lord