Video: Jeremiah Wright and “God damn America”

posted at 4:13 pm on March 13, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The ABC News report to which AP linked earlier talked about it, but watching it makes it come a little closer to home. Eyeblast picks up the ABC report on this and merges it with a portion of Wright’s speech from the video we posted yesterday:

If Hillary Clinton had to repudiate Geraldine Ferraro for her clumsy and foolish identity-politics rhetoric, then Obama surely has to provide a better response to Wright than comparing him to a crazy uncle in the attic. Wright has a largely ceremonial position in the Obama campaign, but an obvious influence on Obama, as he named his book after a theme from Wright’s sermon.

Also, does it surprise anyone that these sermons have just now begun surfacing? It looks like someone finally began doing some research into Reverend Wright I wonder who that could be?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

And they clap. And they clap.

Cut the crap, Rev. Everyone knows Obama’s had a sweet gig. Obama’s never been considered a “non-person.” He didn’t live through slavery, neither did his ancestors – his dad’s a Kenyan.

In other words, he’s an actual African-American.

P.S., why does he dress up like he’s doing Lion King shows?

emailnuevo on March 13, 2008 at 4:22 PM

There were lots of comments worth quoting and repeating, but I like this one for starters. Look at the people standing and applauding this racist, hateful douchebag. It’s a church full of racists and anti-American victims.

No wonder Michelle Obama likes it.

Jaibones on March 13, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Dose of your own medicine! How’s it taste, Gerry?

Sorry, doesn’t matter your heart is pure.
Sorry, doesn’t matter it’s not what you meant.
Sorry, doesn’t matter your words were taken out of context.

Doesn’t matter either that what you said is factual and beyond dispute. Truth is no defense.

Poor hapless Geraldine got caught up in the demagogues’ meat grinder.

petefrt on March 13, 2008 at 5:35 PM

The irony…Obama raised by a white woman because her black husband (his father) abandoned them…oh, the irony…

right2bright on March 13, 2008 at 5:39 PM

The point is, Obama’s ancestors didn’t live through slavery; it was the slaves that were treated as less than human, and it is therefore their descendants who can say “WE WERE TREATED LIKE DIRT.” Black Americans can say that, not people who are American and one generation away from Africa.

emailnuevo on March 13, 2008 at 5:32 PM

So you’re saying that, implicit in the definition of an “African American” is being a descendant of American slaves? As someone who is both the descendant of American slaves and one generation removed from Africa, I’d have to say that the first time I had ever heard such a convoluted definition of “African American” was when I noticed Internet personalities looking for ways to discredit Obama. It’s almost as crazy as when a black guy tried to tell me that my father–a Kenyan citizen–was an “African American”–which should tell you why I put the coinage in quotes. Give it a rest.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Would Kate Smith sing this?

I hope she won’t sing ANYTHING because she would first have to identify what “gOd” she was asking to bless America since according to GWB:

Well, first of all, I believe in an almighty God, and I believe that all the world, whether they be Muslim, Christian, or any other religion, prays to the same God. That’s what I believe. I believe that Islam is a great religion that preaches peace.

Oh the webs we have woven for ourselves. You just can’t make this stuff up :-)

TOPV on March 13, 2008 at 5:40 PM

They don’t just clap, they stand up and say “Hallelujah!”

Anyone want to make the link between this tripe and Mrs. Obama’s “… this is the first time I have been proud to be an Americancomment?

Teach hate. Preach hate. Indoctrinate…….. Change.

Sound familiar?

Seven Percent Solution on March 13, 2008 at 5:41 PM

As in Robert Mugabe type economic policies you mean?

a capella on March 13, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Yep and worse–although I can’t imagine anything worse. Or perhaps I don’t want to.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 5:42 PM

If this racist knot head has any influence at all over Obama then we are headed for a national disaster. The ignorant bum is frightening!

rplat on March 13, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Wow, and they skewered Romney for Mormon beliefs, at least he didn’t say Ameri KKK got what it deserved on 9-11 five days after the incident.

Alden Pyle on March 13, 2008 at 5:49 PM

As in Robert Mugabe type economic policies you mean?

a capella on March 13, 2008 at 5:29 PM

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 5:42 PM

I said weeks ago that Michelle Obama was Robert Mugabe without all the charm. I apologize. Robert Mugabe deserves better after seeing this lunatic. No wonder B O’s Wife reminded me of Mugabe?

BO WILL try to adopt those policies his pastor advocate! It’s sooo pathetic that race relations get twisted by impostors for pastors, but make no mistake. BO won’t be the first black president. Technically he will be the first mullato (spelling?) president. Geraldine, maybe you should not have selfishly called ever conservative ever a racist at will; it came to bite ya Militant feminist.

Branch Rickey on March 13, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Technically he will be the first mullato (spelling?) president.

Branch Rickey on March 13, 2008 at 5:54 PM

:::sigh:::

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 6:01 PM

right2bright on March 13, 2008 at 5:39 PM

And the White parent was the evil one according to his pastor…

TheBigOldDog on March 13, 2008 at 6:01 PM

So Obama is Jesus (a Jew), but his preacher invokes hate against Jews (vis a vis Farrakhan) and America in general. So we can safely say that Obama (and his wife) hate themselves and their country.

This blue-eyed devil completely understands now.

SouthernGent on March 13, 2008 at 6:03 PM

I second that Geronimo! We can also include Condi Rice and Colin Powell to that list.
txstar on March 13, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Yeah, I had a V8 moment on the ride home when I thought of their achievements. This stuff just gets my blood boiling.
And Baldilocks, I hear you about Denzel. I forgot about that great act of selflessness. He was so convincing in Glory and Malcolm X. I guess that’s why. Great actor, one of my favs.

Geronimo on March 13, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Watching this video, and then re-watching KO’s “special comment” from earlier today is a pretty hilarious dichotomy.

World B. Free on March 13, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Mugabe’s economic policies, Michelle’s whining, and Wright’s hate shtick scare me a helluva lot more than Obama’s pedigree. And, what’s with the bow ties on the goons high fiving Wright? Is that what I think it is?

a capella on March 13, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Technically he will be the first mullato (spelling?) president.

Branch Rickey on March 13, 2008 at 5:54 PM

:::sigh:::

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 6:01 PM

I am not sure what your response means but I think I am at fault for not getting my point across correctly. I was trying to highlight what is the ridiculusness (sp?) of with the use of the “technically mullato…” allusion as an example of what kind of hate the preacher was spewing. I don’t care about what people prefer to label themselves as long as being an American is their first priority if they live here. I fear my attempt at hyperbole blew up in my face (irony with my Gerry F. comment ;D) of trying to point out the hypocrisy and hate of the preacher. Please except my explanation. If I can help further let me know.

Branch Rickey on March 13, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Obama’s not rich? I can only wish I were as poor as he is.

Big S on March 13, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Obama’s not rich? I can only wish I were as poor as he is.

Big S on March 13, 2008 at 6:16 PM

ROFL!!!

Branch Rickey on March 13, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Or we could just go back to the olds days when the First Amendment applied, and let pastors say whatever they want.
Akzed on March 13, 2008 at 4:34 PM

I tend to agree. Let them say what they want, but hold them accountable for what they say. IMO Wright is not a Christian, he is an ideologue.

The fact that Obama chose this “church” is something he has to answer for. This was not the church of his fathers; he could have gone anywhere.

I don’t see how anyone could go to this “church” and not buy into the Wright’s God Damn America meme. Anyone who didn’t agree would flee in 2.5 seconds, and there is no middle ground with Wright. It’s all about hate, all the time.

Who cares about this crap?
baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Obama has made an issue of his heritage. Indeed, he seems to be obsessed with it.

Buy Danish on March 13, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Fauxbama will not win if he wins the nomination. Actually Hillary won’t either. These two candidates have political philosophies that are extremely fascist/socialist not to mention are greased down in identity politics…God help America….McCain ’08………….

adamsmith on March 13, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Well, time marches on and some pretty important political decisions are going to made in the next few months. If this is his hidden agenda, it needs to be exposed. I don’t see how the nutroots can possibly defend his unity theme when he’s been taking long term guidance from a reptile like Wright. If they want to howl racist at people who discuss his fascination with black nationalism, that dog won’t hunt.

a capella on March 13, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Obama is brainwashed!

Open your EYES people!

TroubledMonkey on March 13, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Somebody needs a camera the day this clown does his last sermon when he retires in May. I’m sure Obama will be there. Could be some good stuff.

Hummer53 on March 13, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Obama is brainwashed!

Open your EYES people!

TroubledMonkey on March 13, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Does that mean The Oprah is, too?

SouthernGent on March 13, 2008 at 7:03 PM

A pox on both Houses Clinton and Obama. And pox, thy name is identity politics.

NorthernCross on March 13, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Branch Rickey on March 13, 2008 at 6:15 PM

No worries.

I’ve done so much explaining and clarifying about black Americans, about Kenyans, about Luos.

I guess I just wish none of this mattered and I’m PO’d and frustrated at those on both sides of the racial and political divide who keep this stuff going.

I was trying to highlight what is the ridiculousness of with the use of the “technically mullato…” allusion as an example of what kind of hate the preacher was spewing.

Technically, nearly all black Americans can be termed as mulattoes, so the distinction is meaningless.

Branch Rickey on March 13, 2008 at 6:15 PM

I agree and I’m angry at people like Obama and Wright, not you. There insecurities are what keep the discord going and may be the downfall of this country.

I apologize for sighing. :)

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Buy Danish on March 13, 2008 at 6:28 PM

As a political issue? As a policy matter? Perhaps you’re correct, but I’d appreciate it. if you’d provide and example.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 7:09 PM

D’oh!

but I’d appreciate it if you’d provide an example.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Does that mean The Oprah is, too?

SouthernGent on March 13, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Who do you think is pulling the strings.

TroubledMonkey on March 13, 2008 at 7:16 PM

ED;

ITS’ WORSE THAN YOU THINK – CUZ THESE RACIST ANTI-AMERICAN ANTI-WHITE REMARKS WERE PART OF PREPARED SPEECHES.

THESE ARE NOT THE RASH REMARKS UTTERED IN A MOMENT OF PAIN OR BOOZE OR WHATEVER.

THESE REMARKS REPRESENT TO CORE BELIEFS OF THIS BIZARRE BLACK CHURCH.

THE CHURCH WHICH CONVERTED OBAMA. TO WHICH HE CONVERTED AND HAS ALWAYS ATTENDED.

AS OTHERS HAVE SAID; HE WASN’T CONVERTED TO CHRISTIANITY; HE WAS CONVERTED TO BLACKNESS/RADICAL AFRICAN-AMERICAN-NESS.

A BLACKNESS THAT’S MORE THAN SKIN DEEP.

reliapundit on March 13, 2008 at 7:16 PM

He’s not teaching what Jesus taught. Can you say Wolf in sheep’s clothing!

Vorian

Vorian on March 13, 2008 at 7:17 PM

If Obambi did not agree with Wright’s venomous anti-American, anti-Jewish rantings, he should have gotten up 20 years ago when he sat through the first 20 minutes.  Instead he stayed for 20 years, and has a close association with the vile Rev. Wright.*

Can Obambi now disavow this association?  Can he go through the laundry list of insane lies spewed by Wright and disavow each one?

If you value this country and its traditions, you should be very afraid of this Trojan horse, Obambi the Prophet.  And if you are Jewish or value Israel, be even more afraid.

* Thanks to Michael Graham, WTKK for the 20 minutes-20 years point.

MrLynn on March 13, 2008 at 7:27 PM

I’m totally blown away by the depth of the hatred from this pastor. I knew he was bad, but not this bad…I don’t know how Obama can get past this…imagine if this were a conservative who attended a church that was this drenched in absolute hate…scary stuff.

canvas on March 13, 2008 at 7:31 PM

After viewing a different-but-similar clip, my first reaction was that this guy missed his calling in the carny as a barker.

THIS clip, however, is much more serious and dangerous. Here we are really talking about “Hitler – the early years in beer hall tirades.” No joke, no exaggeration; see old recordings and records.

It has been said here before, but worth repeating to all Americans every day until (either Hill is nominated or) election day:

HERE ARE YOUR DEMOCRATS; IS THAT YOUR AMERICA?

Lockstein13 on March 13, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Wrong. Nobody can say we were treated like dirt unless they actually were. As far as affirmative action and things like that is concerned, the issue is institutionalized racism. Its nature has nothing to do with your particular family tree but with a group you are lumped into by the society.

I don’t support affirmative action for a number of reasons. However, it is ridiculous to argue a son of a Kenyan cannot say he’s treated like an average African-American in some situations. Who was checking his genealogy?

freevillage on March 13, 2008 at 7:39 PM

freevillage on March 13, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Well done, Anton.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Why am I being called random names?

freevillage on March 13, 2008 at 7:48 PM

right2bright on March 13, 2008 at 5:39 PM

And the White parent was the evil one according to his pastor…

TheBigOldDog on March 13, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Exactly, he was raised by an evil person…his mom is evil and his father, well, his birth father is a better person then his mom…according to the good pastor.
What bible was he reading??? Jesus was a black man???I thought he was a Jew…maybe Sammy Davis Jr.

right2bright on March 13, 2008 at 7:48 PM

a capella on March 13, 2008 at 6:40 PM

They are defending him lock, stock and barrel on kos.
They are agreeing with this dirtbag pastor!

ArmyAunt on March 13, 2008 at 7:51 PM

This guy is almost as bad as Hagee. Someday, people will realize that ignorant superstition (religion) leads only to absurd perceptions and deeds.
Until then, onward christian soldiers!

hippiepunk on March 13, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Why am I being called random names?

freevillage on March 13, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Your name links to a site which asks rhetorically “Who is Anton Borisov?” I assumed it was you. My apologies if it isn’t.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Okay, here is what pixxes me off. I’m a southern white girl raised with a bigotted father and a lot of redneck racism. I rose above that. I live by the words of MLK. I judge people on the content of their character, not the color of their skin. I teach my children that. Now I find that the leading candidate for president of the US is being spiritually advised by a man who believes the exact opposite and is preaching this hate to future generations. We will never overcome racism in this country. Never, never, never if there are people out there undermining what those of us who believe in racial unity are living and teaching our kids.

ihasurnominashun on March 13, 2008 at 8:12 PM

Where is the Gospel Message?

richardcamera on March 13, 2008 at 8:15 PM

The only Christians the left doesn’t attack…

More like “God damn the church”… for putting up with such blatant hatred and stupidity in it’s midst.

Capitana on March 13, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Technically he will be the first mullato (spelling?) president.

Mulatto but yeah he’s not even black. In pre-Civil War America mulattos could own slaves as long as their mother wasn’t a slave and many did.

aengus on March 13, 2008 at 8:18 PM

:::sigh:::

I know this is an offensive, archaic term. I wasn’t going to bring it up but someone else did and I wanted to clarify the spelling and legal status of this racial “category”.

aengus on March 13, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Run the whole thing. Highlighting GOD DAMN AMERICA.

At then end, note that Barack Obama chose the church and the pastor, had the pastor marry himself and his wife, and dedicated his book to him.

Cut to McCain in front of the Flag. He says “God BLESS AMERICA. I’m John McCain and I approved this message.”

50 state sweep.

whiskey_199 on March 13, 2008 at 8:28 PM

They are defending him lock, stock and barrel on kos.
They are agreeing with this dirtbag pastor!

ArmyAunt on March 13, 2008 at 7:51 PM

You expected otherwise from them? Why should anti-American, racists repudiate another anti-American racist?

petefrt on March 13, 2008 at 8:32 PM

It’s time for a palate cleanser!

Here’s Kate Smith singing “God Bless America” with vistas of America. I’d like to remind everyone this song was written by Irving Berlin, who was Jewish.

Here’s Lee Greenwood singing “God Bless the USA” with vistas of the military.

INC on March 13, 2008 at 8:35 PM

Where is the Gospel Message?

richardcamera on March 13, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Exactly.

aengus on March 13, 2008 at 8:19 PM

My sigh wasn’t in regard to that but to his racial/ethnic make even being a part of this. And, as I keep saying, nearly all black Americans are mulattos–and a goodly portion of the white ones as well. These terms are becoming meaningless.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Obama and his wife were married by this man. He takes his children to listen to this divisive racist hate speech. He has been a member and contributed to this church for over 20 years. Can you even IMAGINE if Hillary or McCain had gone to a KKK anti-black church for 20 years? Hillary is being crucified for Ferraro, yet Obama will get a pass on this. So much for racial healing. So much for ‘One America’.

I’m so sick of identity politics.

Keli on March 13, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Barry O’Bama has responded…

“I would, uh, just like to say, aaaaaaaaand, that I, uh, do not think the things, that, uh, were said, are things that were said, aaaaand, I would not say them, um, but he did say them, and I wouldn’t.”

“Thank you.”

benrand on March 13, 2008 at 8:41 PM

These terms are becoming meaningless.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Fair enough.

aengus on March 13, 2008 at 8:42 PM

I’m not sure whether it’s the masochist or sadist who demands more, more, more of this guy!!!

Sean68 on March 13, 2008 at 8:42 PM

freevillage on March 13, 2008 at 7:39 PM

You mean with respect and sensitivity by the average American, and with condescension and disdain by liberal democrats. Yes, he has much to complain about.

JiangxiDad on March 13, 2008 at 8:43 PM

aengus,

Actually, they couldn’t in Free States. That might have changed had the Taney Court moved fully to expand the areas where slavery was legal.

Each state had its own Slave Codes. The South Carolina codes, for example, placed no restrictions on slave ownership other than that the owner is free. In Alabama, a “free person of color” (including mulattos) under its Codes was required to vacate the state and not to settle anywhere within its boundaries.

It would be interesting to know in which of the Slave Codes you found your information.

unclesmrgol on March 13, 2008 at 9:08 PM

His command of the English language is astounding… LOL

And for God’s sake — can someone tell this moron (and all those who parrot him) that Barack IS white??? (at least as much as he is black) The imbecile even talks about Barack growing up in a single parent household… YEAH… HIS WHITE MOTHER RAISED HIM YOU TURD!

D2Boston on March 13, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Keli on March 13, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Sick of it or not, that is what will determine who our next president will be. Obama could lop someones head off and the MSM would not blink an eye. Compare the crap Romney had to put up with because of his faith with the free pass the Messiah is given regardless of the overtly racist church he is a member of, right, no comparison can be made!

dmann on March 13, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Who is more earnestly left wing stupid and psychotic?

Keith Olbernmannann?

Dr. Rev. Dr. Hon. Jeremiah Nutbar Wright, Esq?

What EXACTLY is he a Doctor of anyway??? LOL

benrand on March 13, 2008 at 9:25 PM

unclesmrgol on March 13, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Thanks. I haven’t done any real research on the topic I just remember reading it somewhere and assumed it applied to all states. I sometimes forget how the states had such widely divergent laws, especially before the war.

aengus on March 13, 2008 at 9:26 PM

“God Damn America”
Jeremiah Wright

I believe he finally has Jeremiah: He has apparently limited us the choice between your lad, Mizz Hillary and McCain. None of whom could even remotely be considered a blessing.

I wonder… Was this guy the inspiration for Creedence Clearwater Revival’ song? He does sound like a bullfrog. ( A really hate filled bullfrog.)

Obama sings:
Jerimiah was a bullfrog.
He is a good friend of mine.
I wouldn’t ever SAY the hateful words he says;
But I help him drink his wine.
He always has a mighty bitter wine.
….
Change to the world, all you boys and girls,
Hope to the fishes in the deep blue sea,
Change to you and me.
….
And when I am the king of the world,
I tell you what I’ll do:
I’ll burn all the cars and put whitey behind bars,
and ration ‘free’ health care to you.
….
Change to the world, all you boys and girls,
Hope to the fishes in the deep blue sea,
Change to you and me.
….
You know I love the marxists, love to have my fun.
I’m a hard knock flyer and a rainbow rider
A whitey shootin son of a Kenyan,
I said a whitey shootin son of a Kenyan.
….
Change to the world, all you boys and girls,
Hope to the fishes in the deep blue sea,
Change to you and me.

LegendHasIt on March 13, 2008 at 9:36 PM

It seems that Hillary could have saved herself a lot of embarrassment and lost votes if she had just kept her mouth shut and released this clip a couple of months ago.

Who needs the kitchen sink when you’ve got this guy?

Dorvillian on March 13, 2008 at 9:53 PM

dmann on March 13, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Too true. Romney’s religion and his church were put under the microscope and gone over with a fine tooth comb, the msm desperate to find something wrong. Here they have a whole treasure trove of controversial sermons and beliefs and they’ll gloss it over and explain it away.

Keli on March 13, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Another false man of God. No wonder he’s so enamoured with Farrakhan. They’re cut from the same filthy cloth. And I seriously wonder if Obama’s ever had a cab blow by him, just because he was black. I wonder if Obama’s ever been pulled over by police, because he was black behind the wheel in a predominantly white neighborhood. Somehow, I doubt it. I’m from the Detroit, MI area, and Detroit’s known as one of THE most ethnically segregated (http://www.detnews.com/specialreports/2002/segregation/a01-389727.htm) cities in the nation. The suburban cities (such as the one I live in) are predominantly white, and I’ve NEVER had any such problems. I’m also a black guy, and was also raised by a single mother, and made something of myself by the US Army (something I am very proud of, and considering returning to), college (something I am in the process of repeating for PhD-level advanced degrees), Conservatism, Christianity, and love of the best woman in the world. It seems the disadvantages Obama ‘suffered’ from were all self-inflicted injuries, and I really don’t feel sorry for him, one bit. In fact, DETROIT (the most liberal city in the nation: http://www.govpro.com/News/Article/31439/)doesn’t even like Obama(http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1627031,00.html). There’s nothing likeable about the man. I fail see his alleged “…charisma…”, and see nothing “…magntic…” about his personality. He’s a political and ethical blight on the country, and it’s precisely those types of people that seem to gravitate toward him, as he does the same toward them (like his church).

Virus-X on March 13, 2008 at 10:00 PM

No wonder he and his church honored Louis Farakahn. They seem to be a perfect match.

Hog Wild on March 13, 2008 at 10:03 PM

. . .Change to the world, all you boys and girls,
Hope to the fishes in the deep blue sea,
Change to you and me.

LegendHasIt on March 13, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Well done, Legend!

MrLynn on March 13, 2008 at 10:16 PM

This is not preaching. It’s nothing more than motivational speaking. I wonder if that congregation has ever heard biblical expository preaching.

My response to Jeremiah Wright:

God bless America, with repentance.

shick on March 13, 2008 at 10:17 PM

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Look, it’s one thing to want to find out more about one’s heritage, to seek out one’s roots, and so forth. That’s perfectly understandable, and even commendable.

He has gone far beyond that and embraced his African heritage in a forum which disparages his American heritage.

Buy Danish on March 13, 2008 at 10:18 PM

LegendHasIt on March 13, 2008 at 9:36 PM

That was funny. By the way, that’s not Creedence Clearwater Revival but Three Dog Night.

shick on March 13, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Even the liberal idiot Jane Hall said on Fox that if he is not questioned about this raving lunatic and Barry’s relationship with him, it will prove bias.

No sh*t sherlock.

benrand on March 13, 2008 at 10:22 PM

As a Christian, I believe that all believers are my brothers and sisters, and that no matter our differences on small matters of theology, we are still family. It makes me wonder when I watch this video, though, would I, as a white believer, be welcomed as a brother in this fellowship?

It is disturbing to me, that some churches seem to have forgotten the gospel and only focus on social issues. I’m not saying that the Church should not focus on social issues (it is a major responsibility in the Church, I believe), but it seems we have largely forgotten that the main goal of the Church is to share Christ in both word and deed–not divide into categories based on race or political party.

p40tiger on March 13, 2008 at 10:32 PM

…but if McCain is endorsed by Hagee he has to reject it and if Bush speaks at Bob Jones U, he’s a bigot.

29Victor on March 13, 2008 at 10:37 PM

+1,000,000

windansea on March 13, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Buy Danish on March 13, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Yes, but that isn’t what I was originally referring to when I said “cut the crap.” Some individual here was trying to make up a definition for “African American” and exclude BO from it and another was asserting that his white heritage made him different from other black Americans (it doesn’t because almost all have some white heritage to a greater or lesser degree.) These are irrelevancies and they do nothing to address the myriad real problems that BO has as a presidential candidate; that’s what I was talking about.

BTW, there’s nothing African about that church; Africa is too diverse to be use as a label for something so specialized. It has a quality that many people describe a faux-African. There are no “roots” to be discovered there.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 10:50 PM

p40tiger on March 13, 2008 at 10:32 PM

After I read TUCC’s ‘about us’ page aloud to my mom, she wondered the exact same thing. I don’t recall see anything about the salvation offered by Jesus Christ on that site.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Barry O’Bama has responded…

“Thank you.”

benrand on March 13, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Good one.

It’s just a short time before his style will be losing its luster. Still pretty good, but not swoon-worthy.

petefrt on March 13, 2008 at 11:02 PM

When Juan Williams gets sucked into parroting the Dem talking points, he gets tedious.

But when he talks lately about racial matters, most recently about Obama and Jeremiah Wright, he shows thoughtfulness, insight, wisdom and integrity. Good work, Juan!

petefrt on March 13, 2008 at 11:10 PM

In response to a ‘wolf in sheep’s clothing’. A nation of bleating sheep will always be ruled by wolves in sheep’s clothing. In the past few weeks the Clintons have abandoned any clothing at all; Obama, however, his campaign reeling from attack after attack, has been revealed as a sheep in wolf’s clothing. Neither he nor Hillary Clinton is now electable.

Hope P. Muntz on March 13, 2008 at 11:14 PM

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Thanks! That’s what I was trying to “cleverly” say. Pride. Fall. Me.

Branch Rickey on March 13, 2008 at 11:16 PM

I just saw on-line that Obama gave $22,500 to Jeremiah Wright’s church in 2006. Do any of you give money to a Church whose message you don’t support?

jhkotter on March 13, 2008 at 11:25 PM

It will be a huge joke if Obama tries to reject and renounce Wright now.

Not after 20 years.

Hey Iowa! How do you like him now?!

Domino on March 13, 2008 at 11:38 PM

If I was Hillary I would just run this clip and say

“Im Hillaty Clinton and I don’t support this message”

windansea on March 13, 2008 at 11:55 PM

The Daily Show just cleared up what part of the Bible says God Damn America..

It’s in F.U 3:16

Pam on March 13, 2008 at 11:59 PM

This preacher makes me very sad. He spent an entire career preaching hatred to thousands of people, all the while leading them AWAY from Christ Jesus.

Now he walks away from the disater of a church he created. This man doesn’t know Christ. If he did, he most definitely wouldn’t have wailed the ‘victim’s hymn’ and hatred that he so often did in his wasted ministry.

Matthew 7:21-23

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you : depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
KJV

Skidd on March 14, 2008 at 12:03 AM

“If Hillary Clinton had to repudiate Geraldine Ferraro for her clumsy and foolish identity-politics rhetoric”…if we’re ever able to accept and admit the truth, there may be some hope.

Christine on March 14, 2008 at 12:05 AM

jhkotter on March 13, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Heh. Hey Barak, thanks for being so eager to get those tax returns out there.

funky chicken on March 14, 2008 at 12:07 AM

You don’t think you’re church is controversial? What a ma-roon!

I’d last half a Sunday in a church like that.

Mojave Mark on March 14, 2008 at 12:30 AM

We are defined by the company we choose to keep. In this case, Obama chooses to attend this church, therefore, we can assume that Obama himself endorses the pastor’s message.

Vic on March 14, 2008 at 12:36 AM

shick on March 13, 2008 at 10:22 PM

DOH!
I shoulda said Hoyt Axton. He wrote it.
Didn’t help that the first listing for the lyrics in google indicated it was a CCR tune, but I should have known better, I owned more 3DN albums than CCR, by far.

LegendHasIt on March 14, 2008 at 1:09 AM

And I seriously wonder if Obama’s ever had a cab blow by him,

Virus-X on March 13, 2008 at 10:00 PM

And how many cab drivers are white? Another irony, they did a study in NY, and found that black cab drivers are more apt not to pick up another black then the white cabbies.
Racism will never die…as long as guys like this can make a buck and become powerful in their community. 100 years ago, he would have been the one hired by the white plantation owners to keep his “people” in line, because that would be where the power is.

right2bright on March 14, 2008 at 1:17 AM

No Surrender Geller’s Atlas Shrugs, is taking Obama to the woodshed too. Apparently Sen. Obama has given $22,500 to his “church” Trinity United Church of Christ and dedicated one of his bestseller books to his pastor, among other obamanations.

Can we Republicans get him over Hillary?!? This is gonna get good… especially if we can get McCain-Geller, McCain-Malkin or even McCain-Carpenter? Just make a blogher the better half of the ticket and we got it made!!!

HotAirJosef on March 14, 2008 at 1:28 AM

I’m willing to play devil’s advocate:

Obama does not share the beliefs of the pastor and the obviously vocal members of the congregation of the church he belongs to.

Obama simply understands he must be perceived to be “authentic” by the African-American public and the simplest, most direct method is to be a member in one of the larger racist black churches in the area/country. Now no matter his parents’ backgrounds, no matter where he was educated, no matter how much money his family makes, and no matter what their current lifestyle Obama will be seen to be as authentically black as Nagin, Kilpatrick, or any other drawling black politician.

Although for this alternate hypothesis to be true, Obama risks alienating black voters entirely should something like this be exposed. Exposed with a lot of media coverage… hmmm…

Now that I really consider it, my explanation could very well be true. No major national media outlet would ever hunt down and publish such a story.

JoeEgo on March 14, 2008 at 2:08 AM

O’Reilly had even more film of Wright and his odious rhetoric. One clip has Wright saying that the Clintons have done to black people what Bill did to Monica, all the while he’s mimicking a thrusting f**king motion. There is also clips of him saying that America infected citizens with HIV, 9/11 was perpetrated by the government/Bush, lies about WMD, etc….all the garden variety stuff of the far far left.

It’s surreal to see a man preach with such anger and hate in a place of worship. It is also disheartening to see so many folks cheering and hollering and clapping at his “sermons”. An ugly, hateful sight to see.

While I don’t think Obama agrees with most of his pastors rants, I’m not 100% sure of it. That’s because Obama tells us so little about his beliefs. I mean when you see all those folks cheering and hollering and clapping in the background in these tapes……it makes you wonder if Obama was ever one of those people too and it just wasn’t recorded or aired.

I don’t want my next president to be the kind of person who would cheer & holler & clap for a pastor like Jeremiah Wright.

sheryl on March 14, 2008 at 2:39 AM

Even if Obama were to leave this church, the fact remains that he has been a member of the church under this “pastor” (sic) for “X” (somebody provide info here, please) years, and has thereby agreed to be wilfully (mis)guided.

This is not “guilt by association.” Obama chose to remain and be a member.

Lockstein13 on March 14, 2008 at 4:55 AM

If this gets the press it deserves and lasts through another few news cycles, I really believe that even Ron Paul would beat Obama in the general election…Seriously.

equanimous on March 14, 2008 at 5:04 AM

I don’t see the entrenched, leftist press picking up on this in any significant manner. (I say this as a longtime media industry employee.)

Barack Obama is The Messiah, and no amount of facts can alter that Official Story. There is no objective truth on the political left, just manipulation of the peasants via “narrative” and “framing” and other fancy words for lies.

Gilda on March 14, 2008 at 6:02 AM

The Anchoress points out the victim card being played rather than the race play by Obama’s reverend. It’s both, not a neither nor, either or.

maverick muse on March 14, 2008 at 7:24 AM

I think this might really hurt Obama. There will be many people that are disgusted with this type of garbage. This hate speech should make voters of all races uncomfortable. That is if the MSM ask him about it.

chief on March 14, 2008 at 7:37 AM