Video: Jeremiah Wright and “God damn America”

posted at 4:13 pm on March 13, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The ABC News report to which AP linked earlier talked about it, but watching it makes it come a little closer to home. Eyeblast picks up the ABC report on this and merges it with a portion of Wright’s speech from the video we posted yesterday:

If Hillary Clinton had to repudiate Geraldine Ferraro for her clumsy and foolish identity-politics rhetoric, then Obama surely has to provide a better response to Wright than comparing him to a crazy uncle in the attic. Wright has a largely ceremonial position in the Obama campaign, but an obvious influence on Obama, as he named his book after a theme from Wright’s sermon.

Also, does it surprise anyone that these sermons have just now begun surfacing? It looks like someone finally began doing some research into Reverend Wright I wonder who that could be?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

scary stuff

SoCalInfidel on March 13, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Race baiting from the pulpit — what a novelty!

Richard Romano on March 13, 2008 at 4:19 PM

From what I recall it was Michelle Obama who introduced Barack to this church, and it’s clear that she is as ashamed of America as this ranting cleric.

I feel it is a duty on every sane citizen to expose this racist demagogue – the GOP just needs to play his sermons every day from now till November.

Pax americana on March 13, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Not much space between this guy and Fred Phelps, no?

marc@hubsandspokes on March 13, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Hey Barack Hussein O’Jesus, your pastor wants you to damn America!

Akzed on March 13, 2008 at 4:20 PM

blah blah.. C-student sitting in the White House

So.. what were Obama’s grades like? Does anyone know? Am I allowed to ask that?

IreneFingIrene on March 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM

This continues to be the most entertaining election season ever…at least in my lifetime, anyway.

I bought stock in Orville Redenbacher’s. Or however the heck you spell it.

Bob's Kid on March 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Pax americana on March 13, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Hey, some cults use members of one sex to lasso members of the other to get them interested in joing. I’m just sayin.

Akzed on March 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM

At least we know where Michelle Obama gets her hatred for America. Please, someone assure me that Barack will not become president of my country.

carbon_footprint on March 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM

And they clap. And they clap.

Cut the crap, Rev. Everyone knows Obama’s had a sweet gig. Obama’s never been considered a “non-person.” He didn’t live through slavery, neither did his ancestors – his dad’s a Kenyan.

In other words, he’s an actual African-American.

P.S., why does he dress up like he’s doing Lion King shows?

emailnuevo on March 13, 2008 at 4:22 PM

conservative PC speech!

crr6 on March 13, 2008 at 4:22 PM

So.. what were Obama’s grades like? Does anyone know? Am I allowed to ask that?

IreneFingIrene on March 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Racist! Off with your head!!! lol

SoCalInfidel on March 13, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Barack will not become president of your country. He already has enough on his hands running the whole universe and answering prayers and all.

Akzed on March 13, 2008 at 4:23 PM

carbon_footprint on March 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Rush said the same thing today (about the influence of the church). And Obama won’t.

emailnuevo on March 13, 2008 at 4:24 PM

emailnuevo on March 13, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Glad to hear it.

carbon_footprint on March 13, 2008 at 4:25 PM

He didn’t live through slavery, neither did his ancestors – his dad’s a Kenyan.

Well to be fair, Barack does have some connection to U.S. slavery — through his mother’s ancestors (they were reportedly slave owners).

AZCoyote on March 13, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Yikes. Mash that up with some video from this guy’s hero, Louis Farrakhan, and you’ve got a pretty toxic cocktail for a presidential campaign.

Matticus Finch on March 13, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Wonder who it could be? Our dear hc has her grimey prints all over this and is cackling big time. Fun time is a coming. Both BHO and hc are slug slime.
L

letget on March 13, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Is it just me or do that guy’s mannerisms remind other people of Oliver Hardy?

matteorobsoni on March 13, 2008 at 4:29 PM

The only thing worse than a racist pastor and mentor of the leading nominee in the democrat race, is the acceptance of it by Obamassiah’s worshipers. Truly a sad commentary on the left.

ihasurnominashun on March 13, 2008 at 4:29 PM

..and Obama associates himself with this nutjob?? Scary.

j0 on March 13, 2008 at 4:29 PM

A black boy raised in a single parent home..

Raised by his white mom right?

Chakra Hammer on March 13, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Rove, you magnificent bastard.

amerpundit on March 13, 2008 at 4:30 PM

All churches should get out of politics, or start paying taxes.

Entelechy on March 13, 2008 at 4:31 PM

the GOP just needs to play his sermons every day from now till November.

Pax americana on March 13, 2008 at 4:20 PM

That, and a stream of Mrs. O’s quotes.

Frozen Tex on March 13, 2008 at 4:32 PM

When asked to comment on this video, Hillary said “I don’t feel noways tired and I could listen to him awwwl daay looowng”

GoodBoy on March 13, 2008 at 4:32 PM

And one more thing: this “preacher” and all congregants who lap this crap up are no better than the mirror image of the aryan nation.

Matticus Finch on March 13, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Not much space between this guy and Fred Phelps, no?
marc@hubsandspokes on March 13, 2008 at 4:20 PM

And Fred Phelp’s a Democrat.

I think someone should ask the Tuskegee Airmen what they think of this guy.

rbj on March 13, 2008 at 4:33 PM

This is the first time I’ve been proud of my country in 44 years!

lorien1973 on March 13, 2008 at 4:33 PM

if you are wondering what he meant by “Ridin’ Dirty” in reference to Clinton…the Urban Dictionary has many definitions to choose from.

a rapper a couple years ago has a song called ‘ridin dirty’ that was a big hit, he was referring to having sex with “obese women’ and not getting caught by your friends in some sort of contest….

jp on March 13, 2008 at 4:34 PM

All churches should get out of politics, or start paying taxes. Entelechy on March 13, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Or we could just go back to the olds days when the First Amendment applied, and let pastors say whatever they want. Tax exemption didn’t hinge on what was said in the pulpit before LBJ got such a law passed in order to shut up pastors in TX while he was running for the senate.

If a psator wants to say that Christians may not vote for abortion apologists, and name names while they’re at it, what’s the problem?

Akzed on March 13, 2008 at 4:34 PM

No Ed, Kate Smith was a lady. She sang America the Beautiful and many other songs that made me proud to be an American, gave me chills down my spine.
L

letget on March 13, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Just when you thought you were making some progress…

samuelrylander on March 13, 2008 at 4:35 PM

L

letget on March 13, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Why not up your leg like Chris Matthews?

SoCalInfidel on March 13, 2008 at 4:36 PM

I’m just a bit confused. Is it Hillary’s fault Barack was rasied by a single parent, or the Europeans? I would’ve thought it was Bush’s fault.

Speaking of single parent – do we ever see Barack’s mother on the campaign trail?

sleepy-beans on March 13, 2008 at 4:36 PM

this is his “spiritual advisor”.

I linked this in a nother thread but I think it is worth repeating: the IBD article.

thebrokenchair on March 13, 2008 at 4:36 PM

I used to be afraid of an Obama ticket. Not so much anymore. I am acually starting to believe that he will be easier to beat than Hillary in November as long as McVain don’t screw up too badly.

Crap, and I just got the vomit taste out of my mouth from voting for Hillary in Texas last week!

conservnut on March 13, 2008 at 4:37 PM

I thought we weren’t supposed to take the Lord’s name in vain?!?!?

Pam on March 13, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Well, he’s half white, he is rich and he hasn’t been treated all that badly.

roux on March 13, 2008 at 4:37 PM

All churches should get out of politics, or start paying taxes.

Entelechy on March 13, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Or…Maybe the government should just stop regulating them and we all stop paying taxes.

samuelrylander on March 13, 2008 at 4:37 PM

I can see why this guy’s so popular.

My church asks me to forgive the sins of others and to look at how I can help other people. What fun is that?

Obama goes to church to hear cursing and shouting and how everything is whitey’s fault.

At least people aren’t falling asleep in the pulpit. Probably have better tunes too.

NoDonkey on March 13, 2008 at 4:39 PM

He ain’t rich; he ain’t privileged.”

Uh, let’s see. Barak and his wife made nearly a million dollars in income last year (her @$300k salary, plus his salary and book royalties). They live in a $1.6 million dollar home that has a 1,000 bottle wine cellar and mahogany bookcases (to name a few amenities). He’s a member of the U.S. Senate, with all the perks and privileges that go along with that cushy job. The family gets round-the-clock Secret Service protection, courtesy of the U.S. taxpayer, while Barack goes out on his campaign tour, with the media and idiot voters fawning and fainting over him (not to mention contributors throwing hundreds of millions of dollars in contributions at him). Barack attended private school in Hawaii (while living with his white grandparents — not exactly your typical upbringing for a poor black boy from a single-parent home). Barack attended two Ivy League universities (Columbia and Harvard); his wife also attended two Ivy League universities (Princeton and Harvard).

Not rich or privileged? We should all be so lucky to have been as “poor” and “underprivileged” as Barack and Michelle Obama have been!

AZCoyote on March 13, 2008 at 4:39 PM

the GOP just needs to play his sermons every day from now till November.

Pax americana on March 13, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Well see, I’d disagree. I’d say the GOP needs to wait til he’s got the nomination, then start playing these every day.

And maybe somewhere along the way those of us over here on the right will shut up, quit rooting for Hillary and realize Johnny Mac can beat Obama like a rented mule.

Typhoon on March 13, 2008 at 4:42 PM

I thought we weren’t supposed to take the Lord’s name in vain?!?!?

Pam on March 13, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Now when you say “Lord”, do you mean Obama…

amerpundit on March 13, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Sounds like Michelle Obama.

TheBigOldDog on March 13, 2008 at 4:43 PM

this is basically what Islam preaches, except insert Jews and America for ‘whitey’… never an introspective look at their personal faults.

its heresy

jp on March 13, 2008 at 4:43 PM

That would be pretty scary. Barack’s mama has been dead for years. (Ovarian cancer, IIRC).

AZCoyote on March 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM

He didn’t live through slavery, neither did his ancestors – his dad’s a Kenyan.

AZCoyote on March 13, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Who cares about this crap? Separate your notions of his heritage and your nutty notions about from this very real and important issue about what he personally believes and who his mentor is.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Sounds like Michelle Obama.

TheBigOldDog on March 13, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Thats exactly right…go figure she supposedly introduced him to that church…If i was spoonfed that every sunday I would be pissed at America too….im starting to get stressed out over all this…im going surfing!

SoCalInfidel on March 13, 2008 at 4:46 PM

What is with the america hatered? They thrive in the opportunity and then curse the field they’re planted in. I have had enough of these corn chunks. When do we rumble?

ronsfi on March 13, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Furthermore, God damn the Right Reverend Wright!

ronsfi on March 13, 2008 at 4:48 PM

The Obamasiah has been a member of this “Pastor’s” “Church” for over twenty years. It’s not just a casual acquaintance. He was married by the guy. His children were baptized by him. His book title comes from one of his sermons. I think he has some splainin’ to do.

Sefton on March 13, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Your wife’s a Bigfoot, isn’t she, Gus? Your wife is a Bigfoot, isn’t she?

benrand on March 13, 2008 at 4:48 PM

ronsfi on March 13, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Hatred and scapegoating are easy ways to manipulate followers.

TheBigOldDog on March 13, 2008 at 4:49 PM

If there are any sane people left in the Democratic leadership, they’ve got to be looking at this stuff and thinking, “What the fuh? Hey, did anybody know about this stuff before BHO built an insurmountable lead?”

Sugar Land on March 13, 2008 at 4:50 PM

I’ve said before but this just proves it again: the Dem primary is the most racist campaign in US history. Even the famous George Wallace campaign of 1972 is starting to look mild by comparison.

Vote Sauron 08 on March 13, 2008 at 4:50 PM

One of the reasons why it took so long for the scrutiny on TUCC and Wright to gain strength was because of knuckle-headed notions about Kenya and about who is and isn’t an “African-American.”

Wright as Obama’s mentor is a very important issue. Don’t sully it by allowing it to be coupled with silly stuff and thereby empowering conservatism’s opponents.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 4:50 PM

AP linked to the ABC News report? You mean AP like Associated Press? Otherwise known as MainStream Media?

Methinks Obama is in big trouble. If this keeps up, Hillary will win PA by 30 points, and the super-delegates will bail on Obama and vote for Clinton in Denver. Obama’s got some splainin’ to do, and the “crazy uncle” theory won’t sweep this under the rug. Jeremiah Wright is too scary for most Americans, and he will bring Lamentations down on the House of Barack.

Change you can believe in? No thanks!!!

Steve Z on March 13, 2008 at 4:51 PM

AZCoyote on March 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM

oops (I guess I’ll do a bit more research next time)

sleepy-beans on March 13, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Hannity’s really turned me off with all this Obama’s preacher nonsense over the last few weeks, but maybe he’s right. Maybe we need to really investigate who wright is and what he stands for not for the purpose of discrediting Obama, ut for trying tgain an understanding of what mainstream black churches think about america. If this kind of vitriol is preached every sunday form the pulpits of black churches we have larger a biigger problem then a liberal presidential candidate.

knat on March 13, 2008 at 4:52 PM

I think it is safe to say that Obama will not be “borrowing” from any of these speeches.

rw on March 13, 2008 at 4:52 PM

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM

I don’t particularly care about his heritage (nor do I know what “nutty notions” you’re referring to), except to the extent that it influences his beliefs. In that respect, it’s fair game to talk about it.

AZCoyote on March 13, 2008 at 4:52 PM

knat on March 13, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Oh God my grammer and spelling are terrible, google spellcheck failed me.

knat on March 13, 2008 at 4:53 PM

benrand on March 13, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Hahah! Goonie goo goo!

thebrokenchair on March 13, 2008 at 4:53 PM

rw on March 13, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Nay, he leaves that to Michelle.

TheBigOldDog on March 13, 2008 at 4:54 PM

I always liked the South Side of Chicago–Bridgeport, the White Sox, Styx, the 31st St. Beach, the Museum of Science and Industry. Today, I like it a litle less.

mymanpotsandpans on March 13, 2008 at 4:54 PM

AZCoyote on March 13, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Sorry. Nutty notions about who is and isn’t an “African American.”

There’s no evidence that it does.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 4:55 PM

I don’t think my church is controversial?

Barrack, stay awake and pay attention in church and I have faith you might figure it out.
1. The 3 strike law doesn’t only affect blacks. It’s an equal opportunity law that affects anyone dumb enough to commit crimes, specifically felonies.
2. If there are so many black in jail, I guess that means a whole lot of black are committing crimes and getting caught.
3. The reason so many blacks are committing crimes and getting caught is because a black family with a mother AND a father, is a rare thing. Kids who grow up without a father figure in their life will most likely grow up without a moral compass and a drive to succeed.
4. Black racism has a big part of it. Take responibility for your own actions and stop blaming everything on whitey and realize YOU are the ones who can lift yourselves up. It’s up to you, noone else.
5. A black man and a white man go for a job, both equally qualified. The black man will get the job. It’s called affirmative action and it is state sponsored racism.
6. Quit your bitching. The only thing keeping the black man down is himself, his racist poor me, blame everyone else, attitude.

Let’s look at some examples of blacks who do not show the big chip on their shoulder and have made it.
Michael Jordan
Denzel Washington, (slight chip)
John Lee Hooker
Bill Cosby
Oprah Winfrey
Barrack Obama, (chip to be announced)
Clarence Thomas
Samuel Jackson
and of course the Great Dr. Martin Luther King Jr who must be spinning in his grave and what you’ve done to the cause.
Stop blaming whitey for all your problems. Noone living now had A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G to do with slavery and neither did you.

Geronimo on March 13, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Denzel Washington, (slight chip)

Denzel has been a quiet (MSM-wise) supporter of the troops.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 4:59 PM

At least he didn’t call on his followers to stop polluting the environment!

alphie on March 13, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Amazing video.

wise_man on March 13, 2008 at 5:05 PM

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 4:55 PM

I’m not sure I agree with you that there is no evidence his heritage influenced his beliefs (see his book), but I completely agree with you that the debate over who is/isn’t an African-American, or who is/isn’t “black enough” (whatever that means) is a waste of time and diverts attention from the real issues.

AZCoyote on March 13, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Huh? I thought O’Bama was Irish! From County Barragh? This identity politics is not as easy as it looks.

jl on March 13, 2008 at 5:07 PM

knat on March 13, 2008 at 4:52 PM

its important so we can figure out what Obama really beleives, or leans towards anyway. Since he is applying to become the most powerful man in the world.

jp on March 13, 2008 at 5:08 PM

There’s no evidence that it does.

Really? You go to a man’s church for 20 years and are not influenced by him? Really? If you don’t like what he says, if you disagree with the church’s teachings you don’t stick around for 20 years. Really.

Sefton on March 13, 2008 at 5:08 PM

I was waiting for Scooby to run behind him and unzip his body suit to reveal Obama Mama.

Alden Pyle on March 13, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Listening to this guy I would imagine is what Hell will sound like, darn scary. There’s no escaping this.
This has to be brought to the forefront! Imagine a Pastor using the GD expression, I could never, and these people have not the insight to see that there is something way wrong here, this is not a real Church, period. It spews hatred, the very opposite of the teachings of Jesus Christ.
BTW, since when are the Obamas poor black folk? That’s Steve Martin’s line.

Conservatives R Us on March 13, 2008 at 5:09 PM

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 4:50 PM

I’ve got a lot of respect for your opinion in this area. Do you think Obama is really into the black nationalist stuff or is just using it as a political base? I know the evidence is pretty strong, but I just can’t think he would not know Hillary would start pulling on that thread of yarn to see where it went. Is that why he lets Michelle off her leash once in a while,..just to wave a bloody shirt for the believers? He can’t tiptoe his way through this minefield, and having Wright retire doesn’t make it all go away. Is Wright also pushing socialism or did Obama get that from his mother and educational enviorment?

a capella on March 13, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Did Don King get a haircut?

mikeyboss on March 13, 2008 at 5:11 PM

If Obama can overcome all this, getting the moderates and blue collar dems to vote for him and win the general….he may go down as the best politician ever….with an assist from ‘white guilt’

jp on March 13, 2008 at 5:11 PM

AZCoyote on March 13, 2008 at 5:05 PM

I think that his parental abandonment coupled with being biracial influenced his thinking on self-identity. But he had a choice.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 5:11 PM

A perfect example of “The Devil in the Pulpit”.

There is such a thing as a CINO: Christian in Name Only

Unfortunately this one has a strong throng of sheep that believe what they are told without bothering to read and study that Book they carry with them to his ‘sermons’.

SwampRat on March 13, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Did Don King get a haircut?

mikeyboss on March 13, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Don King is a Republican and was a big Bush supporter…very patriotic also. So, on those grounds bad comparison.

jp on March 13, 2008 at 5:12 PM

I second that Geronimo! We can also include Condi Rice and Colin Powell to that list.

txstar on March 13, 2008 at 5:12 PM

I wonder what Jesus thinks of this guy.
I’ve got a pretty good idea, but I’m not that presumptuous.

Sefton on March 13, 2008 at 5:14 PM

NO-bama/08 stickers are availible

William Amos on March 13, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Image if a white person running for office went to a church sponsored by the KKK and stated while they didn’t believe in a lot of the things preached, they didn’t think the church or Reverend was controversial.

JeffinSac on March 13, 2008 at 5:16 PM

jp on March 13, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Fine, rain on my parade ;0)

mikeyboss on March 13, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Thanks. I think he’s really into this for the reasons I stated to AZCoyote at 5:11. Obama’s association with TUCC and Wright isn’t a “Hussein”–type issue or a youthful transgression; it’s a long-running, current association. He has issues. Not that we all don’t but if this guy wants to be our president (not just president of black America), we need to to know whether he’s planning on “helping” God to damn it or not.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Only in America!

Sefton on March 13, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Your wife’s a Bigfoot, isn’t she, Gus? Your wife is a Bigfoot, isn’t she?

benrand on March 13, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Heh, G-damned gooney-goo-goo Gus!

Liberty or Death on March 13, 2008 at 5:20 PM

correction: we need to to know whether he’s planning on “helping” God to damn America or not.

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 5:21 PM

As I listen to lefties try to justify this racist, anti-American hate-speech, I’m fast becoming angry and polarized.

What if McCain were found to have attended a white supremacy church for the last 20 years? What if a McCain mentor had preached, “G__ damn America.”?

And don’t dare insult my intelligence by saying it’s somehow ‘different’, or that a different standard applies.

Obama is given the opportunity of repudiating this pastor and the racism he promotes, though McCain would never be afforded a similar luxury. But if he won’t clearly, unequivocally repudiate this mess once and for all, then it’s time to find another candidate.

petefrt on March 13, 2008 at 5:26 PM

baldilocks on March 13, 2008 at 5:21 PM

As in Robert Mugabe type economic policies you mean?

a capella on March 13, 2008 at 5:29 PM

unfortunately, unless this hate speak was spewed last week, it’ll be discounted as ‘old news.’ nontheless, obie has some ‘splain’in’ to do. could anyone not be affected or concur with this stuff if listened to year after year? can anyone say, g*ddam, achilles heel.

jimmer on March 13, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Sorry. Nutty notions about who is and isn’t an “African American.”

The point is, Obama’s ancestors didn’t live through slavery; it was the slaves that were treated as less than human, and it is therefore their descendants who can say “WE WERE TREATED LIKE DIRT.” Black Americans can say that, not people who are American and one generation away from Africa.

emailnuevo on March 13, 2008 at 5:32 PM