Hot Air TV: Sen. John Kerry confronted about Winter Soldier II

posted at 11:13 pm on March 12, 2008 by Michelle

Cross-posted at michellemalkin.com

Grab the popcorn. We’ve got another joint YAF/Hot Air TV production for you, just in time for the anti-war confab known as “Winter Soldier II” that kicks off in Washington, D.C. tomorrow and runs through Sunday. YAF’s Jason Mattera, our intrepid special correspondent who cornered Jack Murtha in September, is back in the halls of Congress. And showing no mercy.

This week, Jason caught up with the original Winter Soldier, Sen. John Kerry, and confronted him about his unsubstantiated, troop-smearing testimony. Jason also tried to get him to autograph this picture. Watch:

Also on YouTube.

***
Here’s the transcript:

Opening slate: On January 31, 1971, John Kerry organized the “Winter Soldier Investigations,” a media event that falsely accused American soldiers of routinely raping, torturing, and murdering innocent Vietnamese civilians.

Second slate: From March 13-16, 2008, “Iraq Veterans Against the War” has coordinated a second Winter Soldier Investigations in an effort to assail the U.S. Military in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Third slate: On March 11, 2008, Jason Mattera of Young America’’s Foundation confronted Senator Kerry (D-MA) about Winter Soldier II and the Senator’’s shady past.

MATTERA: Hey, Sen. Kerry! Jason Mattera with Young America’s Foundation. How are you?

KERRY: Jason. How are you?

MATTERA: I was wondering: Do you have any advice for the new group of activists who are organizing Winter Soldier II?

KERRY: I haven’t [unintelligble] what they’re doing or where they’re at. I just don’t…

MATTERA: Do you think this crop of anti-war activists, do you there’ll be any frauds like Al Hubbard?

KERRY: I have no idea. I hope not.

MATTERA: Do you think that they will make slanderous accusations–accusing the troops of raping women, pillaging villaging, just like you did to the Fulbright committee?

KERRY: Uh, I didn’t make those.

MATTERA: You didn’t?

Audio clip, John Kerry, 4/22/71: [They told the stories at times] they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam in addition to the normal ravage of war, and the normal and very particular ravaging which is done by the applied bombing power of this country.

Kerry claims Winter Soldier Investigations were substantiated by further investigation.

MATTERA: Did you ever verify those

KERRY (crosstalk): I’ve been misquoted about that hundreds of times.

MATTERA: So you never substantiated those charges before you–

KERRY: I proposed–I gave them to the committee because I felt that they ought to be investigated and that’s exactly what I said. These are the–many of those charges, incidentally, were subsequently verified by different entities.

Slate: No criminal charges were filed as a result of any of the [Army’s Criminal Investigative Division] investigations into Winter Soldier.

FrontPageMag.com, February 25, 2008

Slate: Much of the testimony that will be heard during the three days could not be corroborated by the Free Press in the ten days it had to run down each account.

Detroit Free Press, January 31, 1971

MATTERA: Could you sign the picture of the dedication the North Vietnamese created in helping–claiming you helped them win the war?

KERRY: No. No.

MATTERA: Do you have any thoughts?

KERRY (puts hand on Jason’s shoulder): Who do you represent?

MATTERA: Young America’s Foundation.

KERRY: Ohhh.

MATTERA: Does it bother you that the North Vietnamese created a memorial dedicated to you?

KERRY: It’s not dedicated to me.

Slate: At the Communists War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City, John Kerry’s picture hangs in a section dedicated to the anti-war activists who helped the Vietnamese Communists win the Vietnam War.

End slate:

Reputations ruined.
Lives torn apart.
Servicemen maligned.

We can’t let lies like Kerry’s go unchallenged again.

***

The Winter Soldier II hearings kick off tonight. They will be broadcast here.

The schedule:

Winter Soldier Schedule

All times below are Eastern Time. Schedule subject to change.

Thursday, March 13 Streaming video only
7:00PM-9:00PM Winter Soldier and the legacy of GI Resistance

Friday, March 14 Satellite TV, internet video, internet audio, radio
9:00AM – 10:45AM Rules of Engagement: Part One
11:00AM – 12:30PM The Crisis in Veterans’ Heathcare
2:00PM – 3:30PM Corporate Pillaging and Military Contractors
4:00PM – 6:00PM Rules of Engagement: Part Two
7:00PM – 8:30PM Aims of the Global War on Terror: the Political, Legal, and Economic Context of Iraq and Afghanistan

Saturday, March 15 Satellite TV, internet video, internet audio, radio
9:00AM – 10:30AM Divide To Conquer: Gender and Sexuality in the Military
11:00AM – 1:00PM Racism and War: the Dehumanization of the Enemy: Part One
2:00PM – 3:30PM Racism and War: the Dehumanization of the Enemy: Part Two
4:00PM – 6PM Civilian Testimony: The Cost of War in Iraq and Afghanistan
7:00PM – 8:30PM The Cost of the War at Home

Sunday, March 16 Internet video, internet audio, radio
10:00AM – 1:00PM The Breakdown of the Military
2:00PM – 3:15PM The Future of GI Resistance

The invaluable Reporter’s Guide to WSII from Denis Keohane is here. More on the WSII/IVAW hype and advertising here.

Many pro-military bloggers will be attending and will be liveblogging. Track back if you’re one of them–and thank you for your service past, present, and future.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

upinak,

I ignored your request because it doesn’t make sense. I’m countering peacepropensity’s claim that Kerry single-handedly created the myth of US atrocities in Vietnam. You asked me to:

Prove Kerry “invented” a myth

That’s not what I’m trying to prove. Now, if you want to clarify what you’re asking, I’d be glad to respond.

Tom_Shipley on March 13, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Sorry,

Linkage

Alden Pyle on March 13, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Wow :) It’s a good thing I’m not black. I know how you’d address me then.

freevillage on March 13, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Consider “russki” a term of endearment. Otherwise, sorry I hurt your feelings. I get edgy with dishonest people, especially posing as sophisticates.

You’re not black, and you don’t know how I’d address you then. Just like you don’t know that Mattera didn’t lie and you don’t know what “memorial” means. But you didn’t want to address that, eh?

silverfox on March 13, 2008 at 9:05 PM

He nearly single handedly created the myth of barbaric US soldiers in vietnam that hollywood perpetuated

I thought liberals were all about nuance and subtlety.

Actually, no I didn’t. Leftists lie and talk in circles and hate because their philosophy is based on what is going on inside their heads and how they hope the world perceives them not on truth or reason.

peacenprosperity on March 13, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Sorry, you did say nearly single handedly created the myth. My bad.

It’s funny, you say leftists hate, but the only hate I see in this thread is directed at me. Now, do you have anything to say about the substance of my response to you?

Or are you OK with just ignoring that and attacking the “left” as hateful liars?

Tom_Shipley on March 13, 2008 at 9:22 PM

You’re talking in circles, Tom, just like a good liberal. You reacted to my comment, put up a link to an article that didn’t stand up to the traditional standards of journalism (I say traditional because in my opinion those standards don’t apply to what the most of the msm puts out) and now act as if I need prove something. You state you are sticking up for the soldiers by accusing them of unsubstantiated crimes. If that article is all you have, that and john kerry and oliver stone, you don’t have much to stand on.

This is America, the fascists haven’t taken over completely, you are still free to feel as you want. If you feel you need to think the worst of this country that is your sad perogative. Good night.

peacenprosperity on March 13, 2008 at 10:17 PM

OK, first off, how is asking you to respond to what I respond to talking in circles? Seriously. If you really have nothing to say, just say so.

I will say, though, that it is reassuring to see someone from the right use the MSM bias crutch. You guys certainly get a lot of mileage out of it, even if it does make you look foolish.

People go out, talk to soldiers, look at the US army report and convey what they find, and you say that’s not good journalism? What specifically about the article is not “good” journalism?

It’s really astonishing to read stuff like this. I’ve tried to be polite, stick to arguments, and what not. But certain people still feel the need to project onto me their bias view of an entire group of people.

It’s not about thinking ill of the US, it’s about acknowledging reality based on the best facts available.

And you do need to prove something. You say Kerry nearly single handedly created the myth of atrocities committed by US soldiers on Vietnam. But there’s report after report, including a US army report, which say such atrocities occurred. There are US soldiers who admit to committing such atrocities. Kerry did not “create” any myth. This stuff happened. I’m not happy it did, and I’m not using the fact to attack the military or these soldiers, but it happened.

Keep on spouting your line about liberal fascism, meanwhile I’ll be hear trying to find some rational conservatives. Have to say, not many to be seen right now.

Tom_Shipley on March 13, 2008 at 10:36 PM

ROFL! he says good journalism and puts up links to both slimes papers. They are 100% propaganda for the socialists. Except for the advertisements.

Tom, very few of those who served in Vietnam committed crimes while they were there, but your asshat buddies like Kerry made us ALL look like criminals, by focusing their entire attention on the bad guys.

Thanks to them, we all got treated poorly when we returned home. Kerry created the myth and promoted it. Now, you are promoting him. You wouldnt know a fact if it bit you on the nose.

dogsoldier on March 13, 2008 at 11:47 PM

I hate it when they open registration.

James on March 14, 2008 at 7:10 AM

dogsoldier on March 13, 2008 at 11:47 PM

I asked for those links… what, last night?!

upinak,

I ignored your request because it doesn’t make sense.
Tom_Shipley on March 13, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Tom you didn’t ignore my requests, you just refused to give them. You just can’t handle the truth that you got called out. That is the trouble with people such as yourself. Can’t take accountability for yourself or what you say! I.E. you don’t think before you speak.

Don’t worry, we have many a good “American” in here at HA to defend your pathetic lifestyle to spew.

With that said I an done dealing with you. I have had quite enough on your unamerican attitude with myself as well as others in here.

If you can’t deal with Truth, then there is no reason you should address any one of us. If you don’t like this Nation, I highly suggest you find a new home.

upinak on March 14, 2008 at 5:34 PM

upinak on March 14, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Are you serious? What you asked of me DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. In a literal sense. I was trying to prove that Kerry DID NOT nearly single-handedly create the myth of American atrocities in Vietnaim (try saying that three times fast).

You then ask me to provide a link to, and I quote:

Prove Kerry “invented” a myth

It’s not and was never my intention to prove Kerry created any myth. As I said before, if you misspoke or would like to clarify what you were asking me, I’d reply.

Don’t pretend I’m dodging anything.

Tom_Shipley on March 14, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Well, I have to wonder if Jason bothers to get any facts before he goes into action, or if his entire M.O. is just hit-and-sleaze.

—————-

Kerry did not make any “slanderous accusations” against the troops in his Senate committee appearance, certainly not in the portion played in the soundtrack. Jason must have heard enough of that recording to know that Kerry was simply repeating the testimony of Winter Soldier participants.

——————-
Kerry pointed out that many of the Winter Soldier claims were subsequently verified by different entities. Jason’s misleading non-response? No criminal charges filed as a result of Army CID investigations.

—————————-
The fact is that some of the most horrendous claims – those made by Jamie Henry – were under investigation by the Army CID at the time. They were subsequently found to be completely true. The Army declined to press charges on those identified as responsible, purportedly because they were no longer in the military. Then they buried it for 35 years.

——————
LA Times

———————–
Possibly the silliest claim of all? That there is a picture “dedication” by the North Vietnamese claiming Kerry helped them win the war, that they “created a memorial dedicated to [him].”
———————————–

Oh please. That nugget of dishonesty was disproven long before the 2004 election, by none other than New York Sun reporter Josh Gerstein:

While the museum clearly honors opponents of the war from America and other countries, it is not clear that the photo of Mr. Kerry is part of that tribute. The picture of the senator hangs among a set of photos devoted to the restoration of diplomatic relations between America and Vietnam in the 1990s.

——————————

It was apparently taken as Kerry took part in a delegation President Clinton sent to Hanoi in 1993. Other photos nearby show visits during that period by former American officials who played key roles in the Vietnam War, including a Navy admiral who has since died, Elmo Zumwalt, and a defense secretary, Robert McNamara. A secretary of state during Clinton’s term, Warren Christopher, is also shown meeting Vietnamese officials.

NY Sun

————————–

Another hint: Jerry Corsi accidently posted the photo of Robert McNamara meeting with Gen. Giap in 1995, which hangs on the same wall as Kerry’s photo. When he realized his mistake, he edited it out. Or maybe he was just embarrassed by mistaking Gen. Giap for Chairman Mao, who had died some 19 years earlier.
———————-
Original page – Photo #10

Edited page

skylark on March 18, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Oh, and did I mention that Mattera started out with a lie?

Kerry did not organize Winter Soldier.

Sheesh.