Video flashback: A very special message from New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer

posted at 10:41 am on March 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

The “no schadenfreude” rule is still in effect, but rules were made to be bent. Only a little, though: There are still innocents caught in the crossfire here.

Unable to accept that a Democrat might be guilty of malfeasance without some greater Republican malfeasance to explain it, the nutroots splits into two camps: (a) Spitzer didn’t really do anything wrong since the only true crime is hypocrisy (of which he’s also guilty, but never mind that); (b) the whole prosecution is a politically motivated witch hunt by Bush’s DOJ, a claim debunked here by Karl in wondering what the feds were supposed to do, precisely, once Spitz’s bank raised the alarm about shell companies and “structuring.” So much for that. Exit question one: As mentioned yesterday in one of my posts, there are hints in the Times story that this wasn’t his first rodeo. Asks Bob Owens, how many more times? And exit question two, which Ed addressed earlier today: Would the state GOP really try to impeach him? Given his approval rating, they’re on sturdier ground than Congress was when they tried this on Clinton vis-a-vis perjury, but our track record in this area is … not good. I’m betting they back down.

Comments

Why impeach?

A better way to go about it would be to get a bipartisan joint letter written and printed in the NYTimes saying that he should resign.

ninjapirate on March 11, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Let him govern from a cell.

James on March 11, 2008 at 10:45 AM

If this story had broken during Spitzer’s run for governor, he probably wouldn’t have won. Perhaps a recall would we more politically expediant. Leave it up to the voters that put him in office.

captivated_dem on March 11, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Make a U-Turn at “Responsibility Road”–and you end up at the Mayflower Hotel.

Michelle on March 11, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Well, I’m not a New Yorker, so far be it from me to tell you how to run your state, but I’d say to not impeach him. Let the dems take care of their own. And if they don’t?

That could be very useful.

And I totally agree with you about no schadenfreude rule, AP–I’ve been in a marriage where I put a good face on what was really going on so my kids could grow up with two parents, so I can very much sympathize with his wife. I can’t quite chortle at the mess he got himself in when there are innocents suffering from that same mess.

Bob's Kid on March 11, 2008 at 10:58 AM

No schadenfreude. Oh, how I want to! “Trustworthy Turnpike”! Ha!

MarkoMancuso on March 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM

“When you get to Responsibility Road, stop at he first room on the left. I’ll leave the door ajar”

MayBee on March 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Responsibility Road.

LMAO

benrand on March 11, 2008 at 11:01 AM

AP,

Thanks for the Protein Wisdom link, which I will update to note that, for all of the talk about the Mann Act, “structuring” is itself a crime, punishable by up to 5 years in the clink.

Karl on March 11, 2008 at 11:02 AM

The State GOP wont impeach. They’ve got more to gain from letting this joker stick around. They can beat Spitzer and the Democrats like a pinata until he does actually resign. And if they’re smart, they’ll try to link in as many other Democrats as possible – all of his allies and cronies – for not doing enough to denounce Spitzer or failing to call for his resignation, etc.

That said, the state budget is due April 1, and while NY doesn’t exactly have a good record of putting on time budgets in place, the governor’s problems do influence the way the budget process will play out and state residents will be adversely affected. If they would push for his removal, it would be with that justification in mind, though the time spent on the removal would also affect the budget process.

lawhawk on March 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM

His wife won’t even be able to think about touching him for about three years. His daughters won’t even want to talk to him for at least that long. Imagine the venting of legitimate rage, the articulation of how deep a betrayal… This is not going to be easy for any of them.

And on the other side, the wakeup call that a self-proclaimed, self-righteous “protector of the Common Man” is actually a self-indulgent putz, is the first step toward his actually becoming a human being. This might be, ultimately, the best thing that ever happened to Mr. Spitzer.

I regret to say that I’ve been in his shoes. No Schadenfreud from this arena, not even a temptation. The man’s in serious pain, and the fact that he deserves it doesn’t make it any easier to bear. I feel for all of them. May God show mercy.

(Unrelated to this topic, please visit my political blog, “Plumb Bob Blog: Squaring the Culture,” at http://www.plumbbobblog.com. Thanks.)

philwynk on March 11, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Hey, the dude had four hour romps with hookers. I suspect that in order to stay in the saddle that long he availed himself of some of Noo Yawks finest nose candy.

LimeyGeek on March 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM

I dont think he made it past the Emperor’s Girls Locker Room on his journey to Responsibility Road….

CrazyFool on March 11, 2008 at 11:16 AM

“Innocents caught in the crossfire” ???

Boo, freakin’ Hoo

Standing in front of those cameras yesterday, makes her complicit in the fraud.

franksalterego on March 11, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Everyone’s mentioned Vitter, Craig, & Clinton, but what about the Gov. of NJ? Didn’t he have a homosexual scandal recently?

jgapinoy on March 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM

I can’t wait for the 60 minutes interview of Spitzer a few years down the road. Do you think he will give the same ” I Cheated ‘Because I Could’ ” explanation – or will his be different.

wise_man on March 11, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Standing in front of those cameras yesterday, makes her complicit in the fraud.

franksalterego on March 11, 2008 at 11:18 AM

I feel bad for these women that try and put a brave face on everything. Like they’re so inured to the political world they cannot act independently.

I would have loved to have seen Spitzer hobble out to give his speech alone, with a massive black eye and Smeato-sized ball-ache.

LimeyGeek on March 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Leave him in office. The more he “governs” the more he screws up. If he is allowed to complete his term the Republicans will take total control of NY at the next election.

cat-scratch on March 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM

LimeyGeek on March 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM

But, that would take some measure of self-respect…Of which, I have no doubt, members of the Democrats Party have none.

Otherwise, they’d be Republicans.

franksalterego on March 11, 2008 at 11:26 AM

philwynk on March 11, 2008 at 11:12 AM

The damage is far longer lasting than that and has negative impact on how his wife and kids will view trust in relationships with everyone, from here on out. We’ve all observed similar happenings in families we know, and I’ve never seen the wounds healed completely. I hope he is capable of realizing just how much damage he has done and that realization haunts him for the rest of his life.

a capella on March 11, 2008 at 11:29 AM

How many men went to jail for soliciting in NY State under Spitzer. He commited a crime and needs to pay for it like anyone else. What unbelievable arrogance that he has not resigned already.

ronsfi on March 11, 2008 at 11:30 AM

The left could argue that Spitzer’s bank may have it out for him considering his prosecutorial conduct as a NY Prosecutor and New York Attorney General.

gabriel sutherland on March 11, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Dragging his wife in front of those cameras, is getting exactly the response they’re looking for.

I see it, in post after post.

Playin’ the sympathy card

Bah

franksalterego on March 11, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Can’t go along with AP’s no schad call on this one. Sure, his kids are innocents to daddy hot pants’ sheer idiocy, but the sun will rise tomorrow for them, and daddy hot pants’ accumulated millions will, in supporting what, for them, I suspect, the continuation of an otherwise rather privileged lifestyle, will go quite a long way towards salving the emotional trauma of finding out that dad is a sanctimonious hypocritical horndoggie.

For all the commotion and damage this steamroller of a psuedo-prig has wrought, I’m rooting for him to be stupid enough to try and bluff this one out – all the better to reap the whirlwind of, for lack of a better term, the karmic boomerang effect, and collect on the down payment he’s made in arrogance.

Wind Rider on March 11, 2008 at 11:33 AM

He’s completely compromised himself. What favors has he done for this organized crime syndicate?

After all, once the mob get photos of you with a whore and your credit card information, they have you, and they especially have you when you are the Governor of New York.

Think the mob kept it nice and quiet? Sure. Once they got their tat (as in tit for . . . )

Spitzer needs to be thoroughly investigated. It should not end here.

NoDonkey on March 11, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Spitzer didn’t really do anything wrong

Because its just two consenting adults… there are no victims…

There are still innocents caught in the crossfire here.

BINGO! As I kept saying when the media kept insisting Bill Clinton’s infidelity was no big deal because there were no victims -ask Hillary or Chelsea if there are any victims. What makes adultery such a heinous act is that the victims aren’t faceless strangers, they are the people nearest and dearest to the adulterer.

taznar on March 11, 2008 at 11:36 AM

When I heard the NY GOP member mention impeachment last night on Fox, I thought his commments to be at best premature and a worst an invitation for Spitzer to gather support. I think allowing this fool Spitzer to twist in the wind serves a greater purpose. From what I’ve heard he has few friends in Albany and ever fewer in the City. For now, I’m enjoying watching the media try to separate Spitzer the sex maniac from Sptizer the committed Hillary Super Delegate.

DrW on March 11, 2008 at 11:38 AM

HOLY SHINTO! That innocent caught in the crossfire is a childhood aquintance of mine. How did I not know this? That makes two women I knew in my youth who went on to marry controversial, powerful men in New York. Care to guess the other?

mugged on March 11, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Question 1:

Do New Yorkers deserve a do-over?

Question 2:

How many do-overs do you get for $4,300?

fogw on March 11, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Wind Rider on March 11, 2008 at 11:33 AM

I doubt it. Perhaps you should do a bit of research on how much long term damage is created by a broken family unit.

a capella on March 11, 2008 at 11:50 AM

To answer a previous commenter, the *past* governor of NJ had a gay affair while married. The purported boyfriend was quite unqualified to hold the six figure state office that he held, none other than homeland security.

The current governor of NJ has some shady dealings regarding an ex-wife and a forgiven $500,000 politically related loan to her in his past, but he currently is a bachelor. If he went out and got some, the people of this state would probably cheer because it would mean his mind would be off of creating new ways of taxing us for a few precious minutes.

I’m inclined to see NY let the jerk governor stay until he’s charged and convicted of a corruption-related crime. Hopefully, as vengeful as Spitzer has been with others, the US attorney involved will show no mercy.

flutejpl on March 11, 2008 at 11:51 AM

I don’t think impeachment will be an option because Spitzer will have resigned by that point.

Conventional wisdom says Spitzer has lawyered up and is cutting a deal with the feds- using his resignation as leverage to avoid prosecution on some of the more unseemly matters involved. I think conventional wisdom is backed up by the utter lack of support from anybody from either political party. There is clearly more to this than just an narcissitic hypocritical bully opting to spend Valentines eve with a hooker from an agency where he has an open account. It is also clear that the Lt. Governor is either extremely ambitious or knows the outcome because of the way he has been rallying the various groups since well before the story broke.

One last thought….. Eliot Spitzer should be ashamed of himself. Not for the infidelity but for dragging his wife of 21 years up on the stage to share his blame. Were he a man, he would have appeared alone instead of subjecting his family to public humlilation for his actions. He is a coward on top of everything else.

highhopes on March 11, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Sorry but I am going to indulge in some schadenfreude.

This guy was a moraliser par excellence and used his bully pulpit as AG to present himself as quite a bit holier than thou.

He’s then exposed as a criminal (yes, engaging the services of prostitutes is a criminal offence)? If that isn’t poetic justice then what is? No need for him to resign in my opinion. He has made an utter fool of himself and serves as an object lesson to moralising hypocrites everywhere. He has brought shame on himself and his family and I am inclined to say that is punishment enough.

Well done, El.

Ares on March 11, 2008 at 11:55 AM

I can’t go there with you. The only thing toward happiness that such money might buy them would be sessions with Dr. Phil instead of the counselor down the street.

flutejpl on March 11, 2008 at 11:55 AM

No schadenfreude.

Why not? Go ahead and treat yourself. Take a spin down Schadenfreude Speedway.

Mike Honcho on March 11, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Later, Mr. Letterman featured a Top 10 list of Eliot Spitzer Excuses [video]:
10. “Oh come on, like you were never involved in a prostitution ring.”
9. “Hookers is fun.”
8. “Just trying to help the economy.”
7. “Have you ever been to Albany?”
6. “It’s part of my new MTV prank show, ‘Spitz’d.’”
5. “Haven’t been myself since Roy Scheider died.”
4. “Uh, tainted beef?”
3. “Whether it’s a hooker or your wife, you’re always paying for – you married fellas know what I’m talking about.”
2. “Wanted to be known as the Charlie Sheen of politics.”
1. “I thought Bill Clinton legalized this years ago.”

windansea on March 11, 2008 at 12:01 PM

There are still innocents caught in the crossfire here.

The kids, yes. One doesn’t choose one’s parents. But I have difficulty viewing his wife as a victim. Assuming that she had no knowledge of the whoring, she still must have known that she was partnering herself with a ruthlessly ambitious creature. She’s “innocent” at best in the same sense as a lion trainer who’s bitten by his charge. Certainly it’s unpleasant business, but you can’t say she should be in the least bit surprised–considering the nature of the animal in question, something of the sort is pretty much an occupational hazzard (with apologies, of course, to lions).

Blacklake on March 11, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Make a U-Turn at “Responsibility Road”–and you end up at the Mayflower Hotel.

Michelle on March 11, 2008 at 10:56 AM

LOL!

While I feel totally sorry for Mrs. Spitzer and the teen girls – what agony for all of them – I’m completely happy this is happening to Spitzer. He’s been persecuting pro-lifers for many, many years, he’s a complete fraud and a thoroughly nasty fellow., by all accounts, to boot. Most recently he’s pushing hard for taking away pro-life conscience rights from Catholic and other religious institutions regarding any type of abortion, so committed to killing unborn children and punishing their defenders is he. (Except now I have a better idea WHY…)

The man, in short, is scum. Maybe my more charitable instincts will kick in when the threat to NY babies and their defenders is gone. For now, I’m on Schadenfreude Street.

inviolet on March 11, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Why should he resign…. it’s just sex…. paid for sex… but sex none-the-less.

AverageJoe on March 11, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Dearest Elliot,
WTF??? how can you destroy the good names and reputations of all us Democrat Governors? Patti and I have always been on the up and up in our state clawing and scraping to make ends meet…and straightening out the mess the Republicans have left us just like you.
I’m shocked I tell you!

BTW, I have some numbers for you if you need some “help”…Daley, Obama, Durbin and some guy named Reisco, Reesko, Reasco, or something like that. I don’t know the last guy…never met him.

Gimme a shout…we’ll chat.

Gov. Rod Blagojevich…Dem. Illinois

PS, if you need a second floor put on your house, Patti has numbers of some non-union polish carpenters for you.

Toodles!!!

LtE126 on March 11, 2008 at 12:12 PM

A minimum of three (three) crimes were committed here, people:

1. Soliciting prostitution (not just Adultery, which is bad enough)

2. Structuring/smurfing (deliberately structuring deposits & transfers to under $9,000 to avoid BSA reporting)

3. Shell accounts created for money laundering (tied directly to activity #2 above, and really part & parcel of the same crime many times)

I’d love to see this guy left twisting in the wind…but I don’t know, honestly, how I feel about the missus. I think many of these women bring this on themselves, whether they realize it or not. I feel sorry for the girls, for they’ll most likely turn into their mother. Maybe that’s why I don’t know how I feel about her.

Miss_Anthrope on March 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Why should he resign…. it’s just sex…. paid for sex… but sex none-the-less.

AverageJoe on March 11, 2008 at 12:11 PM

See my post above, genius.

Miss_Anthrope on March 11, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Miss_Anthrope on March 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM

I heard a report on Fox this morning saying the Mrs. was urging Spitzer to remain in office and duke it out with the feds.

Hillary 2.0

These women aren’t liberated. They can’t let go of the ego trip they get from hangin onto their politician hubby’s coat tails.

fogw on March 11, 2008 at 12:30 PM

You know, it must be awful to be married to a Democrat politician. Rather than being allowed to have any self respect and divorce the scumbag, you have to sit there and eat feces falafal for years. Where are the feminists urging Silda to stand up for herself?

Spitz banged the hooker on Valentine’s Day? Ouch.

BelchSpeak on March 11, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Greetings from New York State:

First off, this gloriously incompetent state doesn’t have recall nor referendum. we’re stuck with a bunch of iceholes running our government, voted in by the liberal twits that outnumber us relatively normal people.

I bet that will draw a response! I’m predicting that Spitzer will hold out for at least 6 days. He’ll still be the Gov when we’re packing down our St Patrick’s Day lunch.

This arrogant twit thinks he’s the smartest person on earth, and he wants to be the president. If it didn’t stop Bill Clinton, he’ll think it can’t stop him either. And he has all his father’s money to pay for the legal leeches that will get him off. This isn’t going to be resolved quickly.

Mustafa Hemmroid on March 11, 2008 at 1:01 PM

fogw on March 11, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Yep, that kinda goes to my point…that’s why I don’t really want to say how I feel, exactly. I get accused of being too blunt, so I left it at how I left it on purpose.

But you made my point for me, without the rancor etc., so thanks.

Miss_Anthrope on March 11, 2008 at 1:11 PM

It’s probably completely unfair, but Spitzer just looks like a dick.

the wolf on March 11, 2008 at 1:13 PM

At Protein Wisdom we are embracing the schadenfreude.

Is that so wrong?

Dan Collins on March 11, 2008 at 1:16 PM

He IS a dick.

Mustafa Hemmroid on March 11, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Miss_Anthrope on March 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM

I totally forgot to mention his participation in the interstate transportation of prostitutes, which is also a federal crime.

Don’t forget, money laundering/structering (because of the BSA reporting requirements) is automatically a federal crime.

Miss_Anthrope on March 11, 2008 at 1:24 PM

New York, New York, it’s a heck of a town
The Bronx is up and the Battery’s down…

mojo on March 11, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Why should he resign…. it’s just sex…. paid for sex… but sex none-the-less.

AverageJoe on March 11, 2008 at 12:11 PM
See my post above, genius.

Miss_Anthrope on March 11, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I was just pretending to be a democrat. Sorry if my sarcasm wasn’t apparent. I agree with your list of CRIMES committed. I would say resign even if if wasn’t paid for. Unfortunately, I’m in NYS, and laws don’t mean anything for DEMs.

AverageJoe on March 11, 2008 at 1:45 PM

AverageJoe on March 11, 2008 at 1:45 PM

I am so sorry, but I did miss the sarcasm! After all the pundits discussing this as if it is just sex, I did expect you to be serious (did you watch CNN? Ewww.). Sooo my bad!

Miss_Anthrope on March 11, 2008 at 1:54 PM

LimeyGeek on March 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM

I would love to see any of these wives of polititians who get caught, at least just leave these pric%s. You know, set a good example for women out there, stand up for themselves for once! But they never do. What’s worse is when there are kids involved who get to see mommy treated like cr@p.

4shoes on March 11, 2008 at 2:30 PM

4shoes on March 11, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Whoa! Hold on there cowboys and cowgirls. First Spitzer’s PUBLIC personna is that of a pr!ck. However, has he not accumulated a moral bank account? Doesn’t all his good work count for something in his favor? Yeah, hypocrisy sucks. But let’s keep some persepctive, hypocrisy is not a crime. So he did the nasty with a hooker, maybe he wasn’t getting some of the good stuff at home? Regardless, this was merely sex as opposed to an extra-marital love affair. There’s no reason for a woman to leave a marriage on those grounds. Loveless, sexless marriage, yeah, but not because her hubby took a roll in the hay with Katie. (Who btw, is extremely hot looking. So I really can’t blame hin for thinking with his weiner. But $4300 bucks? That should be some fine mouth she has.) So, his wife just needs to figure out what she needs to be doing to improve the marriage, if she wants to. He needs some therapy too. But lets not break up a marriage. K?

Andy in Agoura Hills on March 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Regardless, this was merely sex as opposed to an extra-marital love affair.

Bwahahahahaha.

Oh she’s hot looking….please.

Moral bank account – is that like carbon credits? Hogwash. There is no such thing.

Has the line between right and wrong become so blurred?

Pathetic.

reaganaut on March 11, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Spitz has been hanging around in that truckstop on trustworthy turnpike, I hear. McGreevey used to hang out there before he got a gig at Drew U. teaching ethics to budding young liberals.

NY is lucky that Jon Corzine isn’t their governor. He would be adding new tolls to honesty road and responsibility road and would be appointing a 50 member commission to oversee a massive improvement to trustworthy turnipike that will cost taxpayers over 100 billion dollars for the next 20 years.

wildweasel on March 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM

reaganaut on March 11, 2008 at 3:25 PM

I can tell by your comments that you are a deep thinker. You also have a self-righteous arrogant attitude. Seek help.

Andy in Agoura Hills on March 11, 2008 at 4:48 PM

I feel bad for Silda Wall Spitzer. The look of pain on her face is evident though she restrains it so well that you have to study the photograph for a few minutes to take in the depth of it.

aengus on March 11, 2008 at 7:47 PM

“Innocents caught in the crossfire” ???

Boo, freakin’ Hoo

Standing in front of those cameras yesterday, makes her complicit in the fraud.

franksalterego on March 11, 2008 at 11:18 AM

I don’t know what its like to be a woman humiliated in public but she didn’t defraud anyone and deserves your sympathy. Her “complicity” may be good for her children in the long run.

Playin’ the sympathy card

She deserves sympathy. He doesn’t. I don’t buy the argument that she should stage a dramatic public break-up. They’ve been married for 21 years. To decide these matters in public would be an astronomical psychological rebuke to their children. If she wants a divorce she could wait several months and then pursue it, when it wouldn’t be headline news.

aengus on March 11, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Who knew that the Fetish Freeway had an on ramp from Responsibility Road? And I think it has an exit that leads to the Hershey Highway….

darkpixel on March 11, 2008 at 10:30 PM

which leads to the road of good intentions…

Mojave Mark on March 11, 2008 at 10:38 PM

“Innocents caught in the crossfire” ???

Boo, freakin’ Hoo

Standing in front of those cameras yesterday, makes her complicit in the fraud.

franksalterego on March 11, 2008 at 11:18 AM

I too have little sympathy considering how ruthless he was during his term as AG…and BECAUSE he was the AG.

Did he think of any suffering family members then?

91Veteran on March 12, 2008 at 12:28 AM

highhopes on March 11, 2008 at 11:54 AM

It’s also possible those “insiders” have known about this little issue for some time or know other details, making them less likely to support him.

His usual support ran for the tall grass pretty quick.

91Veteran on March 12, 2008 at 12:38 AM