Attempted honor killing: Brother shoots sister — then family celebrates

posted at 11:51 am on March 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

An Israeli-Arab family, to be specific. Motive: His sister was divorced, and yet was “befriending men.”

Police investigators noted that the attempted murder was meticulously planned. The youth had informed his family members that he was going to murder his sister early Tuesday morning, and then set off to do just that. He headed to the entrance of the village in a vehicle which he had borrowed from his brother, and awaited his sister’s arrival.

The youth then shot his sister, who was startled to see him and proceeded to kick her repeatedly in order to ensure that she was no longer alive…

The young man than informed his family that he had shot his sister and was warmly greeted, hugged and congratulated by his brother and other family members.

She’s still alive; somehow, after being shot and kicked, she had the wherewithal to play dead until the paramedics arrived. Exit question: How do we blame oil for this one?

Comments

Thats easy… I blame oil for this.

Umm what were we talking about again?

bigskinny on March 11, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Sick, very sick. Where do you start.

pb5000 on March 11, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Take his gun away and let me play with him awhile… see if he still feels like (or is capable of) celebrating afterwards…

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 11:57 AM

As if the “Pride Killing” (IMO its about pride, not honor) weren’t bad enough, to celebrate the act? That really is inhuman.

taznar on March 11, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Is the Press going to leave out “arab” and just put “Israeli” in the headline?

Defector01 on March 11, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Family. Honor. Killing your sister.

Now remind me, in what part of the world do we find this bizarre behavior?

fogw on March 11, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Animals, they are all simply animals

Viper1 on March 11, 2008 at 11:59 AM

All cultures are equal, right? right?

darclon on March 11, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Just yet another reminder that there is nothing except historical study value in a 6th century civilization. It certainly has no place in modern society.

They even used the “youth” code word.

wildcat84 on March 11, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I’m headed outside to participate in a march of Muslims against such a grotesque perversion of the religion of peace.

Now, if I can only find where it’s being organized.

freevillage on March 11, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Barbaric savages from the land that time forgot.

SilverStar830 on March 11, 2008 at 12:05 PM

I don’t blame oil, I blame Chimpy McHitlerburton. See how easy it is? Not a culture of death that celebrates suicide bombers and “honor” murder, but an American President.

rbj on March 11, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Agreed, Bush must be behind it somehow.

Sickening.

Grafted on March 11, 2008 at 12:11 PM

My sister passed away fifteen years ago, and there is not a day that I don’t miss her and think about her.

The difference in cultures is astonishing. For the family to celebrate makes me want to defecate.

We truly do not know our enemies.

And some politicians want to sit down and talk with these people?

Seven Percent Solution on March 11, 2008 at 12:18 PM

If Obama was President this never would have happened.

Ares on March 11, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Sick, very sick. Where do you start.

How about if we start with a few well placed nukes?

RWLA on March 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Will that little hussy double dishonor the family and testify against him in court?

tlynch001 on March 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM

And some politicians want to sit down and talk with these people?

You’re kinder than I. I don’t even consider them to be people.

RWLA on March 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM

wildcat84 on March 11, 2008 at 12:03 PM

You are thinking too logically. This is a society who doesn’t want to come out of their “sleep”. The Men like where they are now.

And why would the women fight? If you have no hope of anything, what is it that people usually do?

upinak on March 11, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Being that it occurred in Israel, I hope he get’s punished. In most muslim countries “honor” killings will only get you a year or less in prison. In the UK, only a few years, which is not much better.

Blake on March 11, 2008 at 12:25 PM

and cartoons are offensive to these animals.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 11, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I’m disgusted by him and his actions, but I’m much more disgusted by the family. They encouraged this and didn’t even consider protecting one of their own.

In most families this would be a tragedy, because the brother would be in a mental institution. In this one, the would-be murderer is given high praise.

Esthier on March 11, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Now, if I can only find where it’s being organized.

freevillage on March 11, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Excellent point. The fact that there won’t be any protests give the lie to the concept of a peaceful, moderate Islam.

Bugler on March 11, 2008 at 12:29 PM

There is an “Understanding Islam” presentation at the local high school here this weekend. I was thinking of showing up with a list of all the “honor” atrocities and asking for an explanation. Why do the libs want to reach out to these killers?

Hunt035 on March 11, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Hunt035 on March 11, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Votes… they don’t care if it is dead, alive, aborted, a felone, child molestor, jiihadist or otherwise.

Need I say more?

upinak on March 11, 2008 at 12:32 PM

The religion of perpetual outrage. Perhaps he was confused by that jew hating wabbit.

locomotivebreath1901 on March 11, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Blake on March 11, 2008 at 12:25 PM

No. If they just try touching him, his Muslim cousins will liberate more Israelis in retaliation for mixing into their business.
Life sucks

Yitzchokm on March 11, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Did anybody else see that there have been 8 ‘honor’ killings in this family in the last 6 years? WTF is up with these people?

the goddess anna on March 11, 2008 at 12:37 PM

It’s not just oil that’s to blame! It’s BIG OIL!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on March 11, 2008 at 12:37 PM

the goddess anna on March 11, 2008 at 12:37 PM

inbreeding comes to mind

upinak on March 11, 2008 at 12:37 PM

It’s just “isolated incident” number 3,210,984.

It’s not a pattern or anything.

Merovign on March 11, 2008 at 12:37 PM

How do we blame oil for this one?

Oil makes the Arab world rich, giving the extremists within the power to artificially enable their “culture,” even – due to a global world – within oil-poor Israel’s borders. That’s no excuse, but take oil out of the equation, and things might’ve occurred much differently.

calbear on March 11, 2008 at 12:38 PM

We don’t blame oil. We blame guns.

We must take guns away from everyone.

It was a gun that drove that medieval-ear, poor self-esteem, angry and sexually frustrated young man to shoot his sister.

Guns are evil!

/sarcasm off.

Montana on March 11, 2008 at 12:41 PM

These thoughts and codes run through all Muslims in one degree or another.

Even among the unactivated ones.

BL@KBIRD on March 11, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Yeah, he’d have walked to kill her instead of borrowing a car.

trubble on March 11, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Religion of peace strikes again.

ronsfi on March 11, 2008 at 12:45 PM

calbear on March 11, 2008 at 12:38 PM

calbear, then why did these same incidents take place prior to the industrial revolution? Hmm?

Zetterson on March 11, 2008 at 12:48 PM

How is that Arab population bomb supposed to work if they keep killing the girls in “honor killings?”

Sekhmet on March 11, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Blaming oil is like blaming a tick on a dog’s butt for the reason why you are having a bad hair day.

Reason and commons sense don’t come naturally. They are wired different and until they unwire themselves… everything from honor killing your sister or nephew in a super market will be concidered just.

upinak on March 11, 2008 at 12:55 PM

I hope the prosecute the family as well. Sick bastards, all of them.

ErikTheRed on March 11, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Based on my experience with muslim weapons proficiency, I’d let him keep the weapon, Tex, and put my trust in my 1911.

Alden Pyle on March 11, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Alden Pyle on March 11, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Only if you’re gonna start at his toes, and work your way up… but I wasn’t thinking of shooting him (immediately), but rather bouncing him off a few walls for a while…

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 1:06 PM

In the past six years, eight women from the Abu-Ganem family were murdered, all in the context of ‘honor killings.’

8 women in 6 years! That’s pure insanity.

Dash on March 11, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 1:06 PM

I was thinking more the middle of the body and string him up … and bounce him off walls. But then I would be called a monster I guess.

How is your area? Any sign of Break Up? The roads are drying out and I am starting to see grass patches.

upinak on March 11, 2008 at 1:11 PM

At first you don’t succeed – try try again and again and again

Kini on March 11, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Read the link to “befriending men”…this part made my blood run cold;

Wileygrl3 on March 11, 2008 at 1:13 PM

upinak on March 11, 2008 at 1:11 PM

-14 C (6.8 F). Break-up won’t come ’till mid-late April ’round here. Besides, I need the freeze still; in a week-and-a-half my finace and I, along with 80 or so folks, will be in a snow castle for our wedding. I’d rather it not melt, just yet.

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 1:19 PM

my finace fiance and I

I’m not marrying my accountant.

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Exit question: How do we blame oil for this one?

Oh, oil. I thought we were blaming oily Arabs. I like my explanation more.

8 women in 6 years! That’s pure insanity.

Dash on March 11, 2008 at 1:09 PM

It is. We call it “Islam.”

emailnuevo on March 11, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Quran 4:34
“Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme.“

Nah. No justification for this kind of thing in the Quran.

I’ll bet the Muslim world has a low divorce rate.

labrat on March 11, 2008 at 1:29 PM

inbreeding comes to mind
upinak on March 11, 2008 at 12:37 PM

You may be hitting closer to the truth than you realized.

How many of us knew, for example, that in Arab culture, the best possible spouse you can take is your first cousin on your father’s side?

I’m NOT kidding.

In my case, it’s too bad American culture doesn’t have that concept…MY first cousin has a gorgeous face and has HUGE knockers.

Shirotayama on March 11, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Blake on March 11, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Not according to the link:

Last week, Rashad Abu-Ganem was found guilty just of the involvement in the murder of his sister in the context of ‘honor killing,’ after he reached a plea bargain deal with prosecutors.

Eight honor killings in six years? Family reunions must be hellish.

SouthernDem on March 11, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 1:19 PM

I will keep you in my prayers for a “cold one” but FYI it is coming early!

upinak on March 11, 2008 at 1:35 PM

the goddess anna on March 11, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Quick, where’s Jerry Springer when you need him.

rbj on March 11, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Shirotayama on March 11, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Oh yes I know, and I wasn’t kidding. But why try to make an arguement when a simple statement works.

And other then you have a hot cousin… doesn’t it kinda give ya the hibby jibby’s thinking about it? I know it does me… but them I wouldn’t NEVER touch one of my counsins. YUCK!

upinak on March 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Sekhmet on March 11, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Oooooh….diabolical, hateful, awful, wonderful idea just came to mind. I’m half ashamed of myself, half proud of myself:

If Jews and Christians took action and ALL their women were raped, and due to that ALL were murdered by their families for honor, who would be left for them to breed with? (Other than OUR women…?)

Not advocating anyone necessarily should be raped or murdered here…all I’m suggesting is that it seems as if this honor killing business could be willingly turned into Islam’s achilles’ heel…

Am I way off base here?

Shirotayama on March 11, 2008 at 1:38 PM

I mean the Islamic women….

Shirotayama on March 11, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Why are we trying to catch these youths when they come from Mexico (OTM’s)?? They are certainly doing the job that Americans will not do!

brtex on March 11, 2008 at 1:39 PM

upinak on March 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Ummm, well, if she hadn’t been adopted (and thus isn’t genetically related to me), and had been of my own flesh and blood, well, yeah, maybe. And the fact that we grew up in locations that were about 5 to 6 hours away from each other so didn’t see each other that much as we grew up.

But she’s still hot.

Shirotayama on March 11, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Nice…always love a good Honor killing…

byronw on March 11, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Eh, she had it coming.

Tzetzes on March 11, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Now, as an American, I’m feeling that the brother gets charged for the attempted murder, and the family gets charged for conspiracy to commit, and as accomplices both before and after the fact.

I’ll happily sit on the jury and find the guilty and discuss with the press the honor of finding them guilty and sentencing them to the maximum possible sentence.

Snake307 on March 11, 2008 at 1:49 PM

I had another thought. What is this bull from the left that we can’t find someone to throw the switch? Hey, what does the job pay, because I have a little free time. I’ll even guarantee my work. If the switch doesn’t do it, then I’ll get my jumper cables and a couple car batteries, we’ll get the job done.

Snake307 on March 11, 2008 at 2:01 PM

I will keep you in my prayers for a “cold one” but FYI it is coming early!

upinak on March 11, 2008 at 1:35 PM

An Easter Weekend between -10 C to 0 C (14 F to 32 F) with clear, sunny skies will fit me to a T. After that, I say “Come on, Al! Bring on that Global Warming!

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Snake307 on March 11, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Hell, go back to firing squads. Shouldn’t be too hard to find volunteers.

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Wow, who’s going to visit her in the hospital then? Guess her family won’t be.

Well, this is just another culture, no better or worse than ours. Just different. Nothing to see here.

Because it’s Muslims and they have a quaint notion that it’s OK to murder people who point out that they have problems.

So let’s leave it alone.

Now if this were done by a Christian or a Jewish family, there would be marches in the streets, but you must understand the nuance involved here.

NoDonkey on March 11, 2008 at 2:09 PM

D@MN YOU GEORGE BUSH!

ihasurnominashun on March 11, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Oil allows for transportation which allowed this woman to realize a divorce was possible and then allowed her to start befriending men! Burn in hell, you infidel Big Oil!

darii on March 11, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Carl Rove is in the middle of this somewhere. I can feel it.

sdd on March 11, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Shirotayama on March 11, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Wow only 5 to 6 hours away.

Takes me over 11 hours of flying to get to my family. Eh, I don’t need to see them right now…. Jet lag sucks.

upinak on March 11, 2008 at 2:45 PM

upinak on March 11, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Thank you, AK! I suddenly feel less isolated…

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Why does this story not identify the girl, her brother or anyone in the family? Is that normal operating procedure with the Israeli press?

Moreover, first we read:

But then we are told:

The beleaguered father remained at his daughter’s side. Police investigators noted that the gun used by the shooter was stolen. “There is clear premeditation in this case,” said the chief superintendent of the Afula police. “This is one of the most shocking, unsettling cases that I have ever encountered,” she said.

Beleaguered father? Was he not among the family members who were told in advance that the son planned to kill the daughter?

Buy Danish on March 11, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Buy Danish on March 11, 2008 at 3:30 PM

They might not have revealed identities to protect the girl; you know, make sure some “concerned citizen” (Ha!) doesn’t try to help out the family and finish her off.

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Interesting possibility.

Buy Danish on March 11, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Upinak,

You must live out West. Distances there are WAY bigger than us East Coasters are used to. Having lived out west in my past, I understand your comment.

The 5 or 6 hours bit, well, you had to know my dad and my uncle, his brother to understand. For both of them, a drive that long constituted too danged much time away from work. With sole proprietorships, any time away from the store was money lost. An idea neither my dad nor my uncle could stomach. It was just the way they were brought up from the late 1920′s through the mid-1940′s. That’s the main reason I rarely saw my cousin.

OK, putting my li’l ol’ violin away now…
; – )

Shirotayama on March 11, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Shirotayama on March 11, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Yeah, I’d say Alaska is fairly out west.

Frozen Tex on March 11, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Since this happened in Israel, I hope the Israeli justice systems thinks of the victim instead of the subhuman brother’s rights.

Mooseman on March 11, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Another reason to ban guns…if you ban guns, only brothers will have guns…

right2bright on March 11, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Am I way off base here?

You are. Besides being deeply immoral it would backfire horribly as it would precipitate a war for genetic survival…women would become a commodity more valuable than anything bar food and water.

But its good that you’re thinking. Devising schemes to weaken the Camp of Islam may be crucial to our (in this I include all non-Muslims) survival.

aengus on March 11, 2008 at 6:05 PM

“Women make up at least half the population of ROP society, why do they stand for this?”
That’s the million-dollar question…Maybe we should send Gloria Steinem over there to teach the women how to stand up against the men. Hillary would be able to give some good, practical advice as well.
I called these people animals too but that insults animals; monsters are better. 6th century inbred psychopathic monsters.

Christine on March 11, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Correction: monsters is better.

Christine on March 11, 2008 at 6:32 PM

The only weapon that may prove useful against this demented culture is ridicule. Cartoons aren’t enough. We need to enlist Leno or Letterman to make fun of Islamic idiocy… after equipping them with kevlar vests, of course.

NNtrancer on March 11, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Muslims killing muslims…why are we complaining? We should encourage these animals to keep it up!

jwp1964 on March 11, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Hell, go back to firing squads. Shouldn’t be too hard to find volunteers.

No. The firing squad is for someone who has a shred of honor. This family deserves public hanging. The one who pulled the trigger ought to be hanged on a short drop.

njcommuter on March 11, 2008 at 11:03 PM

I’ll bet the Muslim world has a low divorce rate.
labrat on March 11, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Interesting thought though I’ve heard divorce is high… then again why divorce when men can just go out and marry another and have a 2nd or 3rd wife etc and just pop in on 1st wife when they are in the neighbborhood? What bothers me is that the women seem to accept all this. I wouldn’t doubt that the woman who was shot probably feels guilt like it was somehow her fault and she’s the bad unworthy one. It’s sick- whacked.

wubu on March 11, 2008 at 11:56 PM

What was the gun thinking when it shot this religious fanatic’s sister? Ban guns, because of religious fanaticism and everything will be alright. The insanity of liberalism.

volsense on March 12, 2008 at 9:21 AM