A walk down Spitzer Memory Lane

posted at 5:25 pm on March 10, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Just in case the governor of New York decides to “spend more time” with his family after getting tied to a prostitution ring by federal wiretaps, let’s recall what made Eliot Spitzer such a special kind of politician. In an era where politicians try to gussy up their power plays in politically correct language and strive for plausible deniability, Spitzer provided a refreshing lack of manners — as long as you like politics as bloodsport. For instance, even before becoming governor, Spitzer made his displeasure clear to John Whitehead after the former chair of Goldman Sachs had the temerity to criticize his prosecutorial methods (via Dean Barnett):

After reading my op-ed piece, Mr. Spitzer tried to phone me. I was traveling in Texas but he reached me early in the afternoon. After asking me one or two questions about where I got my facts, he came right to the point. I was so shocked that I wrote it all down right away so I would be sure to remember it exactly as he said it. This is what he said:

“Mr. Whitehead, it’s now a war between us and you’ve fired the first shot. I will be coming after you. You will pay the price. This is only the beginning and you will pay dearly for what you have done. You will wish you had never written that letter.”

I tried to interrupt to say he was doing to me exactly what he’d been doing to others, but he wouldn’t be interrupted. He went on in the same vein for several more sentences and then abruptly hung up. I was astounded. No one had ever talked to me like that before. It was a little scary.

Spitzer wasn’t always scary. In fact, sometimes he was a little too nice — with those who could do him favors. Facing an ethics probe for his use of the State Police to probe a political rival, he got a crony to head the investigative board. Herbert Teitelbaum then got a $15,000 raise, and promptly left in the middle of the investigation:

THE man supposedly leading a key state probe of Gov. Spitzer and the Dirty Tricks Scandal has abruptly taken a 21/2-week vacation in South America – after secretly receiving a $15,000 pay raise, The Post has learned.Recently hired Public Integrity Commission Executive Director Herbert Teitelbaum’s extended vacation in Argentina has left stunned commission employees questioning his commitment to a probe aimed at determining if Spitzer and his aides broke the law by using the State Police in an effort to politically damage Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno (R-Rensselaer.) …

Teitelbaum, a longtime Manhattan lawyer with close ties to Spitzer’s aides, was named in mid-July by another Spitzer appointee, commission Chairman John Feerick, as the $140,000-a-year head of the Ethics Commission. ….

Teitelbaum’s $15,000 pay raise two weeks ago was approved without public notice by Feerick, a former Fordham Law School dean accused by Bruno aides of seeking to cover up the scandal.

The nearly 11 percent pay hike came at a time when the state faces a massive, $4 billion-plus, projected deficit.

No one would be surprised to hear that the New York Times had supported Spitzer in the past, but an editorial from May 2007 really takes the cake. In an editorial titled “Targeting Human Trafficking”, the Times scolded the federal government for prioritizing larger trafficking rings rather than smaller brothels and sweatshops, but hailed Spitzer’s “muscular nudge” towards the state legislature to focus on the lower-rent operations:

After years of shameful recalcitrance, New York will take the lead in the nation’s effort to combat sex and labor trafficking with a new law that targets this modern form of slavery. The issue is an urgent one. Each year, thousands of people are brought into the United States — often through New York — to be used for forced sex or labor. Yet New York has lagged behind at least two dozen states in enacting laws to go after the traffickers and help their victims.

Federal law enforcement tends to focus on the largest trafficking rings rather than local brothels and sweatshops, and federal efforts need bolstering in any case. But attempts over the last two years to pass anti-trafficking legislation in New York ended in failure. Assembly Democrats resisted imposing tough new criminal penalties, and the Republican Senate objected to providing services for trafficking victims. Given Albany’s penchant for partisan gridlock, the deadlock might have continued for many more years absent a muscular nudge from Gov. Eliot Spitzer. The result is being applauded by both prosecutors and victims’ advocates and will give the state one of the strongest anti-trafficking laws in the country.

Anyone now wonder why Spitzer seemed more interested in the low-priced prostitution rings?

Alan Dershowitz wants to scold America over its revulsion at Spitzer’s hypocrisy:

Sorry. I don’t think anyone can buy that line. If Spitzer thought that prostitution should be legal, he has been in uniquely well-suited positions to make that argument. Instead, he positioned himself publicly as disgusted by the exploitation of women through prostitution, even campaigning on it. That isn’t just a story about a married man going to a prostitute, it’s a story of hypocrisy and deception.

Exit question: when will liberals discover that “Europe would shrug at this” arguments don’t actually impress anyone?

Comments

This guy is just dumb. Did he think he would never be caught…

Chudi on March 10, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Man the liberals really urk me with the “What would europe do” crap way of thinking.

Dont look now Dems but europe is one screwed up place.

William Amos on March 10, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Dont look now Dems but europe is one screwed up place.

William Amos on March 10, 2008 at 5:31 PM

No joke. If I wanted to live there, I’d move.

I was fortunate enough to have been born here, but I’ve stayed here because this country is just so much better.

Esthier on March 10, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Dont look now Dems but europe is one screwed up place.

William Amos on March 10, 2008 at 5:31 PM

I don’t think either the British or Irish would shrug at their politicians soliticing prostitutes. One of the most recent cases, involving a homosexual Welsh cabinet minister, resulted in him quickly being forced to resign:

This is divine justice for the New York Slimes – the GOP will be able to paint them as the sleazeball paper for the rest of the year.

Pax americana on March 10, 2008 at 5:38 PM

but hailed Spitzer’s “muscular nudge”

I hear the ladies at Emperors’ were less impressed with the strength of his “nudge”.

Frozen Tex on March 10, 2008 at 5:39 PM

“Did he think he would never be caught” – Chudi

Perhaps he just figured if Bawney Fwank can get away with it…

Tony737 on March 10, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Here he was talking smack on the HuffPost.

JammieWearingFool on March 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM

You need to add in the word “Democrat” into the wording i bet you can fit it in there about 5-6 times. ;)

Chakra Hammer on March 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM

That’d be a problem for Europe wouldn’t it? An elected official having top members of government running a prostitution ring? Even if Europe is okay with prostitution; they should do it on their own time, right? If he assumes Europe would be okay with them running a private enterprise on taxpayers time (legit or illegit), that’s a pretty sad state of affairs over there.

lorien1973 on March 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM

The same level of hypocracy that liberals accuse certain Republican politicians of when they get forced out of the closet after campaigning against gay marriage?

Frozen Tex on March 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Hmm…what would Europe do?

Didn’t we have to fight the bloodiest wars in history because of what Europe would do? Isn’t Europe’s opinion moot, at this point?

Great loafers, though. And can’t beat the food, or the wine.

As a bunch of people say, Europe has nuclear power. Hence they’re allowed to fornicate. At least, that’s my new idea.

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 5:44 PM

What we really need are pics of the trick. That way we can compare Monica to Madam X….Hillary can be the judge as she moves quickly away from the governor. Hmmm, I wonder if the scribes will pester Hillary about her gov’s new adventure?

Doubt it.

patrick neid on March 10, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Frozen Tex on March 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Yeah, but the Republican hypocrites are not putting gays behind bars for being gay. Spitzer was imprisoning people for doing just what he did. Hypocracy is hypocracy. There are scum on both sides of the aisle, but seriously, Spitzer wins this round.

ihasurnominashun on March 10, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Dont look now Dems but europe is one screwed up place.

William Amos on March 10, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Then apparently the US is more European than one thinks!

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Frozen Tex on March 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM

But the Repubs ostracize those losers – Dems give theirs a medal!

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 5:48 PM

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 5:44 PM

“Europe also has nuclear power” was the intended sentence.

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 5:49 PM

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Prove it… Prove America is “More screwed up” then Europe. I would love to see a comparison!

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Man, between this and Elliott’s driver’s licenses for illegals battle that ended up stripping Hillary Clinton of her “inevitability” tag when she was tripped up by Russert at the Philadelphia debate, Spitzer’s probably done more to help the Republican chances in the 2008 presidential election than 90 percent of the Republican politicians, media advisers and conservative talking heads/talk show hosts out there.

The GOP can only hope and pray Spitzer takes the Bill Clinton route and tries to tough this out and stay in office so he’ll be providing a wealth of new material as the campaign season goes on — Hillary will have to sneak in and out of New York during the fall campaign if she gets the nomination in order to avoid the obvious morality questions that would come up if she and Elliott are even in the same county together.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Democrats start thinking Elliott’s some sort of Karl Rove-controlled Manchurian Candidate by the time all this is over.

jon1979 on March 10, 2008 at 5:51 PM

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 5:45 PM

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Hahahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhaaaaaaaa….hahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahaaaaaa…gack…cough…gack.

Well, let’s see. Their dollar is worth 50% more than ours, last time I checked. Immigrants are overrunning our country while our leaders apologize for OUR behavior. I’m sure their others.

Dude –

Liberty is dead. Deal with it.

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Maybe he didn’t pay..maybe he gave them the stock tips to pass on to the paying clients, and in exchange for that, they greased his..

Maybe…

Pam on March 10, 2008 at 5:53 PM

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 5:45 PM

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 5:50 PM

And to correct you, I said the US is more European – not more screwed up – than you might think..

But apparently, you’re a little short on the thinking end.

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 5:54 PM

upinak: and what’s the nightly total for torched cars in Paris these days?

michaelo on March 10, 2008 at 5:55 PM

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 5:53 PM

You might wanna recheck those issues…

1. Europe is also being over run with those who are from “other countries” and some countries have yet to “close their borders” to them.
2. Before the Euro…. many countries had currency that would choke a horse. Duetch Marks were 2 for 1 American dollar. Some countries also did not latch onto the currect Euro and have upped their monies due to… the influx of immigrants… hmmm think about that one.
3. We actually don’t have it so bad here for gasoline prices compared to anyone in Europe. I still have no problems paying 3.50 a gallon compared to 3.50 Euro for a liter…. you figure out the difference of a Liter compared to a Gallon.

And when was the last time you were in Europe?

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 5:58 PM

michaelo on March 10, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Who knows… I don’t have to pay for the gas in France.

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 5:59 PM

I can already hear McCainiac:

“I believe this is a personal matter with Gov. Spitter. This has nothing to do with politics, but is a personal family issue. My sympathies and thoughts go out to the Spitters, and I think everyone should show compassion in this matter. I abhor the politics of personal destruction [unless I have to use it against those nasty Mormon devil worshipers] and will not engage in it here. And I ask for all my supporters and all Republicans to help me campaign on ideas, not personal attacks. And Rush, that means you, too.

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 5:59 PM

This guy is just dumb. Did he think he would never be caught…

Chudi on March 10, 2008 at 5:27 PM

No dumb. Entitled. He is a liberal Democrat, you know.

Kevin71 on March 10, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Don’t forget to get your “Elliot Spitzer threatened my little sister T-shirts!”

Also available in Spitzer approved muscle shirt and, of course, the Yoga shirt for our spirituallly enhanced Spitzer fans.

NTWR on March 10, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Is it just me? I did not recognize the name Spitzer, sorry not that well informed, so I was unaware of his party affiliation. I was unable to locate a specific listing of that information within the body of the story. I wonder why?

Zaire67 on March 10, 2008 at 6:03 PM

So, in the main page picture, is Spitzer indicating the size of equipment he had to work with when visiting the ladies?

Frozen Tex on March 10, 2008 at 6:06 PM

And when was the last time you were in Europe?

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Never been.

But with that standard, when were the last times you were a governor, a politician, an adulterer…etc. etc.

That being said, your points make little sense. Numbers 1 and 2 are not defenses. Our borders aren’t closed either (Theirs actually are stricter than ours). And the Euro is worth 50% more than the dollar, so what their crap was in the past is the past. And of course the pound has always been strong than the dollar, in my experience.

Like it or not –

Liberty is dead.

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 6:06 PM

And when was the last time you were in Europe?

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 5:58 PM

And oh yeah, once the Dems (Obamalama, Hil or John) get in office, gas prices will go absolutely through the roof, here, due to high taxes, just like Europe.

Welcome to the Peace –

Liberty is dead.

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Exit Answer: Never. Such a realization would neccesitate no longer giving a crap about what Europe thinks.

Kid from Brooklyn on March 10, 2008 at 6:08 PM

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 6:07 PM

I am not defending Europe. I think you took it the wrong way. I am saying we aren’t like Europe in most places of the country.

And I totally agree… a dem gets in there… might as well start mushing with dog sleds again or use horse drawn carriages. Or would that be cruelty to animals?

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 6:10 PM

“HA HA! Simpson you’re mom’s in jail!”

“So’s yours”

“Oh yeah, let’s play!”

Weebork on March 10, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Frozen Tex on March 10, 2008 at 6:06 PM

It explains why he’s had to pay to play ha ha!

NTWR on March 10, 2008 at 6:13 PM

This would be more fun if we didn’t have Wide Stance and Vitter problems.

funky chicken on March 10, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Caring what Europe thinks only applies to elites, preferably but not exclusionary to liberal elites. As for the rest of us, we already believe Europe to be a big pansy, nanny state culture anyway. Who cares what whiney, cheese-eating surrender monkeys think anyway?

Weebork on March 10, 2008 at 6:14 PM

damn…

exclusionary = exclusive

Weebork on March 10, 2008 at 6:15 PM

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 6:10 PM

I understood you perfectly. You didn’t understand my comparison of the US to Europe. I’m telling you we’re not that much different. Liberty is an experiment that failed because like Jefferson (I believe) said, If the people fail to protect it, the liberty will be an experiment that failed.

The major ideals of this country “were” individual liberty and property. Both are gone, and under a “Rightest” Supreme Court and President. The US got swept up in the Socialism tide of the early 1900s by Wilson and House, then FDR’s progroms and finally by Johnson.

Their nailing the coffin shut, now.

Liberty is dead. I’m on the bearer of the news, not the cause.

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Spitzer is a bully.

rbj on March 10, 2008 at 6:16 PM

This isn’t a private matter Governor John Spitzer. Its a criminal matter. You needs to go to jail.

Iblis on March 10, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Need not needs

too much LOLcats

Iblis on March 10, 2008 at 6:18 PM

mksmith

Going to europe I really saw no comparison. Nanny States all. I don’t want to live there, pay their taxes, their high priced taxed to hell gasoline, none of it.

I am not sure where you live.. so I will just leave it at that.

agree to disagree…

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 6:19 PM

I just looked at the still photo of them on the Fox News website. She seems to be calculating the number of $5,500 cash withdrawals he made from their bank account.

Zaire67 on March 10, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Governor Client 9 was a pupil of Alan Doucheowitz at Harvard Law. So, it’s easy to see why he’d defend that scumbag as simply a matter of sentimental student-done-good reason, I suppose. But Doucheowitz had better shut up before it’s too late.

Or, Alan Doucheowitz can take a one-way non-stop out of La Guardia to the European destination of his choice and he can baffle em with bull$hit over there since we’re neither dazzled by his brilliance nor baffled by his bull$hit.

SilverStar830 on March 10, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Like it or not –

Liberty is dead.

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 6:06 PM

1)Their borders are not stricter in any meaningful sense! Italy’s miles of coastline are a springboard for N. African terrorism; the UK is still reeling from the influx of immigrants that drove out, among other things, the English language; France keeps getting more “youths” that torch things. Europe is a slave to the European Union, which pretty much makes borders revolving doors for terrorists to spin through, at will. They might sound tough on paper, I’ve never read the actual documents, but in practice, we’re lightyears ahead.

2)The Euro is worth more, yes, but it took the entire European community to challenge a single nation. Nonetheless, a solid point, I suppose. (The pound will always, I hope, be the pound; I love our little colonial mother-country.) It leaves out that New York is still the center of the world, that the American economy affects all other economies, but I’m not informed enough to challenge this one.

3)We’re largely independent from Middle Eastern oil, something that people overlook. As for gas prices, we have more cars, a higher standard of living, and are actually growing up and moving out of parents’ basements, something our European friends seem to have forgotten how to do (don’t hate me, Euros; remember, great food and clothes!)

To say liberty is dead to an American is, quite frankly, embarrassing (for you). You obviously have no concept of individual liberty if you think America is done for; we’ve stomached worse before, and we’ll be fine. Whatever little skirmishes arise between the President, the Congress, foreign dignitaries, and Islamofascists, so long as there’s an America, there will be freedom of speech, religion, bearing of arms, press, assembly, petition, etc. (If anything, we’re a little too free, no? Constitutional rights to sodomy are a little much.) Liberty never dies in a country like America. We’re the only ones who fought a revolution for an unknown idea; remember that. We didn’t beat back the Nazis to crumble now. We’re still the shining city on a hill we’ve always been.

Now go away.

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 6:28 PM

SilverStar830 on March 10, 2008 at 6:27 PM

P.S. As a certain socialist View host would say, that’s just plain poetry.

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Governor Spitzer is your classic narcissist:

Feels grandiose and self-important

Oh yeah. Anybody familiar with his tenure as a prosecutor could tell you that.

Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence

Exhibit A: “I’m a f***ing steamroller, and I’ll roll over you and anybody else.” -Eliot Spitzer

Firmly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people (or institutions)

Princeton (this amusing anecdote is revealing), Harvard Law, State Attorney General, etc. I don’t know of any specific examples, but I’d say there’s a good chance of this, coupled with his other attributes.

Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation

Are you kidding me?:

“He wants to do a good job,” says Hank Sheinkopf, a New York political consultant who worked on Spitzer’s first two campaigns. “But ultimately what he really gives a s*** about is whether Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and The New York Times love him, because, in the back of his brain, if they don’t love him, he’s nobody.”

Feels entitled. Expects unreasonable or special and favorable priority treatment.

Using state police to spy on the (Reoublican) NY State Senate Majority Leader? Check. Also the current mess, if the allegations turn out to be true.

Arrogant, haughty behaviours or attitudes coupled with rage when frustrated, contradicted, or confronted

Duy:

Wayne Clark on March 10, 2008 at 6:48 PM

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 6:28 PM

I think mk is going off something it read.

When I asked if it had ever been to europe, it didn’t give an answer and side skirted the issue.

I figured argueing is not worth the time if they haven’t seen or been there.

Food or not, europe was nice to visit… but I appreciate home more.

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Well Spitzer is going to be really upset when he learns that Harvard may have a “women only” gym if the Muslim students get there way, after all he won’t be able to ogle women, especially the ones in head scarves and burkas!

Here’s a link to the vid:

Some Harvard Students Petition for Women Only Gym

Liberty or Death on March 10, 2008 at 6:59 PM

I tried to post this on the other Spitzer thread, the one that claims that Hillary has scrubbed her site of all Spitzer references. For some reason (I suspect because some idiot posted a 1ine of HAHAHA 1,000 characters long) it’s not showing up. Anyway, Hillary hasn’t thoroughly scrubbed her site yet:

Here’s a list of Spitzer references from Hillary’s website:

Save it all for posterity.

Tinian on March 10, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Dershowitz reminds us that if you are a Democrat or a leftist there is no such thing as hypocrisy. Everything is relative.

aloysiusmiller on March 10, 2008 at 7:06 PM

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 6:28 PM

I think mk is going off something it read.

I figured argueing is not worth the time if they haven’t seen or been there.

Food or not, europe was nice to visit… but I appreciate home more.

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 6:53 PM

You’re a liar. Hey, you’re a democrat and didn’t know it!!!

I said, “Never been.”

Second, I’m not an “it.” Apparently, you’d feel comfortable in snobbish Europe, or so you admit.

Finally, I didn’t skirt the issue. I made an example of comparisons of things your apparently are not (or are, since you in your arrogance never answered), such as an adulterer politician etc etc. In other words (let me dumb it down for you – yet another way the US is more European, stupid citizens) – if you haven’t been something or experienced something you’re not qualified to comment on it.

Lying is the last resort of the coward.

Piss off, mate.

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Now go away.

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 6:28 PM

This is what I mean: Born in the 50s and well familiar with your kind of scum – America, love it or leave.

Well, since Liberty is dead – your statement pretty much proves there’s no room for people who you disagree with, so apparently no free speech = no liberty.

By the way, speak english mr. no name prick.

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 7:19 PM

You’re a liar. Hey, you’re a democrat and didn’t know it!!!
mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Actually never been is bad grammer.. how about “I have never been to Europe.”

Calling me a liar is great and grand but since you obviously have never BEEN to Europe then you can’t really talk.

Since using the internet and I couldn’t care less what your gender is.. “it” work well ini all above cases. I am sorry you are offended … but not my problem since I don’t have a crystal ball and a indicator of what you are.

And Mate is a British or Aussie Term … obviously you haven’t been anywhere… and since as I said before I really don’t care where you live nor what you do it isn’t my problem.

I love America, more then you will ever know. So much so I re-enlisted as of this Friday, back into the Unites States Army. Be as it may you can say what you want… but this American is doing what “she” can for “Her” country and know I don’t want to see America turn into europe. I really don’t have to prove anything to you.

Have a good day, mk.

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Yeah, I read about all the rampant N. Africa terrorist acts in Italy every day. Oh, wait – NOT! Those nations let those people in as immigrants, and now understand their mistake. The youths were rioting against their poverty, like most brave impoverished do everywhere (except China where your head gets loped off you do). We’re no less a slave to the Democrat/Republican Parties and their politicians who RUN THIS COUNTRY. Light years ahead? Like you mean that broken electronic fence that can watch droves cross our borders at will without being picked up.

Me 1 – you 0.

The key here, “not informed enough.” Obviously not. Yes, our economy affects most others – but now it appears Russian, China and India are unaffected by our present downturn. Sigh

Me 2 – you 0.

Independent of Middle East oil? What, are you twelve years old? From Mars.
Great food/clothes? What, a metrosexual 12-year-old? And oh yeah, you ain’t read all the news stories on all those 30-somethings still living with their moms and dads.

Me 3 – you 0.

Now go away.

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Facts don’t embarrass me. Not one bit. “We’re a little too free, no?” Dude, you sure you’re an American? Your vernacular is one of an educated Frenchman (assuming there is such a thing). All those rights you quote, nearly non-existent. Even McCain is anti-free speech. So no matter what, the next president has the nails for the coffin for –

Liberty, cause it’s dead!

Me 4 – you 0 – as in ‘zero’ as in LOOOOOOOOSER!

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 7:43 PM

You’re a liar. Hey, you’re a democrat and didn’t know it!!!
mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Actually never been is bad grammer.. how about “I have never been to Europe.”

Oh God. The grammar police. No, wait, the grammar GESTAPO!!! Hahahahahahahahaha. Bad grammar or not, it was vernacular to any english-speaking dude.

How stupid can you be. My point is still going WAY over your head!!!! Say it aloud (how’s that for grammar), then you may hear how stupid you really are.

“ini” What the hell kind a’ grammar be that??? You care about grammar and the accuracy of you insults? I don’t think so.

Dude, it’s a joke. I know where “mate” is used. And of your snobbery is ever evident with “”don’t care – isn’t my problem.”

Have a good day, mk.

upinak on March 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Good. Go kill some of those really bad guys. But dude, have to say it, don’t like it –

Liberty is dead. At least you get to have a little revenge.

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Liberty, cause it’s dead!

Me 4 – you 0 – as in ‘zero’ as in LOOOOOOOOSER!

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 7:43 PM

First, McCain can’t wreck the country enough to kill freedom. He’s too stupid.

Second, I hope you’re either drunk, high, or twelve.

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 8:48 PM

P.S. They do have great food.

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 8:49 PM

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 7:43 PM

P.P.S. A supposedly intelligent debater would understand the logical fallacies inherent in ad hominem attacks.

But as we decided, you’re drunk, high, or twelve (I’m leaning towards seven, actually).

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 8:52 PM

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 7:43 PM

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 8:52 PM

I have the facts – it’s not a debate. Just like an edumacted snob to pull out the education card.

In my neighborhood guys like you stayed locked in your houses like the pussy snobs you are.

I’ve a way better than average IQ and BAS degree, and there were no logical fallacies in my argument, but in years. You’re debating from a podium with rules. Like in the movie, you brought a knife to a gunfight.

What a M-O-R-O-N.

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 9:24 PM

mksmithwriter on March 10, 2008 at 9:24 PM

If you paid attention, you’d see that my argument was chock-full of ad hominem attacks – calling you drunk, high, etc. That was the whole point, actually. Tongue-in-cheek, but apparently unclear.

Calling someone a “snob” still doesn’t counter their arguments. (And I will add that, since I’ve not yet completed a degree, you’re the ‘edumacated snob.’ Kind of funny how that works out.)

emailnuevo on March 10, 2008 at 9:59 PM

mksmithwriter

I am compelled to call you a dick.

carbon_footprint on March 10, 2008 at 10:50 PM

And Dershowitz was/is a highly regarded scholar?

He wanted to make two points and did before getting challenged. One, he felt terrible for Spitzer and his family. Two, that the prostitution tie was not a “big deal” since such an act would merit back page coverage in Europe. He then proceeds to chide America for its uniqueness as a “pandering society” and “hypocritical society.” When the interviewer pointed out the obvious that it’s significant because it was Spitzer himself who was the hypocrite and panderer and not the public (that must put faith in someone to do public works as the keeper/enforcer of our laws, by the way) that violated our supposedly quaint and possibly puritanical norms, the legal scholar extraordinaire finds not that some ethical standards were breached by the elected official but that the fiber of America in all of its antiquity is to blame, nevermind any actual real laws that might have been broken.

Stunning. I guess one would have to get a prestigious degree and go through years of legal practice to try and sell that tripe. Kudos, Dershowitz. Maybe your kind of ethic and example is exactly the kind of guidance that Spitzer took to heart from class.

AnonymousDrivel on March 11, 2008 at 12:09 AM

AnonymousDrivel on March 11, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Shipmate, I was thinking the EXACT thing.

SwabJockey on March 11, 2008 at 6:05 AM