Breaking: Power resigns from Obama campaign

posted at 12:45 pm on March 7, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Retreat! A day after calling Hillary Clinton a “monster”, Samantha Powers has departed from the Barack Obama campaign. The resignation comes after a deluge of criticism aimed at the Obama campaign:

A top senior foreign policy adviser to Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, Samantha Power, resigned Friday morning after calling Clinton a “monster” in an interview with a European newspaper.”With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today,” said Power in a statement issued by the Obama campaign. “Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months.”

Power’s statement came scarcely an hour after congressional supporters of Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-NY, demanded that Obama fire Power for the remarks.

This won’t look good for Obama. The resignation comes after a demand for Obama to fire Powers by three Democratic Representatives. Hillary Clinton herself had criticized the name-calling, and the campaign suggested it provided more proof that Obama simply isn’t up to a national campaign.

UPDATE: Power, not Powers — thanks to our commenters for the correction.

Comments

I think Hillary will be tougher to beat than Obama.

cjs1943 on March 7, 2008 at 12:48 PM

The clinton machine is gaining speed…chuga-chuga-chuga

kcd on March 7, 2008 at 12:49 PM

So it’s okay to diss Israel but not Hillary.

PattyJ on March 7, 2008 at 12:49 PM

The Obama advisor is named “Power.”

I believe Ed’s confused it with the spelling of our favorite lefty Kirsten Powers.

Enrique on March 7, 2008 at 12:51 PM

That’s a bummer. I liked her in Hart to Hart.

JohnTant on March 7, 2008 at 12:52 PM

As Public Enemy said, “You gotta fight the Powers that be”

Exurban Jon on March 7, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Dateline: Sometime in the imaginary future …..

Following Amhadinejad’s protest of President Obama calling him a jihadist weiner, Mr. Obama said he was sorry for the degrading comment, and resigned from office.

Dude. You’re not presidential material!

fogw on March 7, 2008 at 12:53 PM

This is all a ploy by the Obama campaign to distance themselves from her, more over her comments advocating invading the West Bank to help the PLO, than over Hillary. Either way her position was unpaid and she will surely continue to advise him unofficially.

irish_infidel on March 7, 2008 at 12:53 PM

It doesn’t matter.

It’s a Clinton/Hussein or a Hussein/Clinton ticket anyway.

Who cares?

America will get screwed anyway by the hands of the voters, from both sides of the aisle.

It’s a great time to live in America.

You’ll be a part of History by witnessing the decline of America like you have never seen before.

Out of more than 300 million people, we get crap.

Indy Conservative on March 7, 2008 at 12:54 PM

I think Hillary will be tougher to beat than Obama.

cjs1943 on March 7, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Gee…

Ya think?

She’s pitching hard again today on the idea of a Clinton/Obama ticket and it’s going to appear more and more likely to all concerned on that side that he’s not ready for prime time and that’s the way out of the mess they’re in.

And as far as I’m concerned, Clinton/Obama is going to be the hardest possible ticket for us to beat. Not impossible but it gives both his and her hard-core loyalists reason to vote. And the Obamaniacs get his oratory on the stump without it having to matter.

My advice to all the smug little Hillary boosters on the right is to put down the popcorn and get ready for a big ol’ serving of crow.

Typhoon on March 7, 2008 at 12:55 PM

The superdelegates, and some rough wooing, are her only hope. She needs to knock Obama on his heels, and for this week anyway, she appears to be doing that. Of course, let’s not presume that Obama is the only tainted candidate here; HRC has enough dirt to lay a roadbed.

fourstringfuror on March 7, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Um….

Hillary Clinton is so thin-skinned she gets into a snit for being called a monster by a fellow Democrat (true BTW)? What happens when she gets called “the devil” on the floor of the UN? Does her minions demand Chavez resign too?

In other words if you can’t stand the heat honey, maybe you should stay in the kitchen!

highhopes on March 7, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Indy Conservative on March 7, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Y’know, it’s just a shame you can’t run. I mean, it’s obvious you have all the answers, so much so that you have nothing but a complete bucketful of condescension for anyone too foolish or unenlightened to everything your way.

Maybe we could start a petition to have you crowned as our king.

Typhoon on March 7, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I’m starting to see a pattern here…another public/private snafu….man, team Obama is going to implode if the truth keeps “slipping out”

ihasurnominashun on March 7, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Holes showing in the empty suit.

My powers are fading… fading….!

profitsbeard on March 7, 2008 at 1:01 PM

So the Obama campaign has lost Power? Rudderless too?

The Ritz on March 7, 2008 at 1:02 PM

That was a Scottish paper so maybe they were interested in a second attraction at a pond to be named Loch Shrillary.

Annar on March 7, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Ah, The Ritz, I wish I’d thought of that for the post title ….

Ed Morrissey on March 7, 2008 at 1:04 PM

There is no way that Clinton is harder to beat than Obama. Whoever thinks that is unaware of how many people hate her. I mean, I don’t just mean hate, I mean hate. You know? It’s not just Rush. You get her out there in the general election and you’ll see that like, 30-40% of the nation thinks she’s the devil incarnate, no matter what the WaPo says.

apollyonbob on March 7, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Indy Conservative on March 7, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Maybe we could start a petition to have you crowned as our king.

Typhoon on March 7, 2008 at 12:59 PM

You got one thing right:

I do have answers. I do have solutions.

And I make more sense than those power-hungry, hypocrites, liars running for Office and those already in power in D.C.

I don’t want to be anybody’s king. Thank you very much.

But I’m here to advise, criticize and whoop some butts.

Who knows?

Maybe the brainwashed-fools can wake up and the idiots can regain their common sense.

Indy Conservative on March 7, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Typhoon on March 7, 2008 at 12:55 PM

I don’t think so. There are two entirely different dynamics in play. Obama’s supporters aren’t going to look at a VP slot as anything but more evidence they are being disenfranchised once again by The Man, and many will sit on their hands in the general. If he were on top, that same dynamic doesn’t hold true. Obama’s rock star groupies won’t be satisfied with second fiddle. And, Michelle Obama won’t be able to contain her bitterness.

a capella on March 7, 2008 at 1:12 PM

But I’m here to advise, criticize and whoop some butts.

Who knows?

Indy Conservative on March 7, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Now I don’t care who you are; that’s funny right there.

Typhoon on March 7, 2008 at 1:14 PM

a capella on March 7, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Well I hope you’re right, but I don’t think so.

Problem is that Obamamaia has run out of gas. And this guy obviousl just cannot take a punch.

You can’t create something new more than once, and as so many have said today, the thrill that was his newness is gone.

And in the end, he is a professional politician and in the end, the Democrats are going to want to win. We’re all rubbing our hands gleefully together over here and hoping for a meltdown, and maybe it or something like it will happen.

But if Hillary pulls away in the next couple months–and his missteps and her continually holding out the prospect of the “dream team” make that likely, then he’ll pretty much have to take what he can get.

Typhoon on March 7, 2008 at 1:20 PM

I don’t see the problem here, Samantha Power told the truth.

Brass Pair on March 7, 2008 at 1:21 PM

irish_infidel on March 7, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Too right! I agree, she had already become a publicity liability, and this was an easier way to cut his losses.

bofh on March 7, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Now I don’t care who you are; that’s funny right there.

Typhoon on March 7, 2008 at 1:14 PM

I know who you are, though.

And it’s scary.

Indy Conservative on March 7, 2008 at 1:29 PM

irish_infidel on March 7, 2008 at 12:53 PM

B-I-N-G-O

BuzzCrutcher on March 7, 2008 at 1:30 PM

“A day after calling Hillary Clinton a “monster”, Samantha Powers has departed from the Barack Obama campaign.”
Once again children, you must not speak the truth about Herself, but for now, it’s ok to think it.
I don’t see HRC doing well without the black vote and with their party torn apart by this Machiavellian monster.
There. I said it and i won’t resign as a conservative patriot.

Christine on March 7, 2008 at 1:31 PM

It takes the European press to report honestly on Obama. Power’s real screw up was that she forgot she wasn’t dealing with the fawning American press. There’s probably a 100 stories like this – encounters and comments like this – that have been buried by the American press. That’s the real story.

TheBigOldDog on March 7, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Cool – truth to Power.

I always thought that the media was intentionally building Obama up just so that he could be torn down later. The media anoints Obama, he rises, then the rascist United States tears him apart and watches him fall as the enlightened media chastise Americans for their backwardness. And the media gets to cover the story of the year, of their own making.

Canadian Infidel on March 7, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Canadian Infidel on March 7, 2008 at 1:40 PM

That’ll be just fine. A big share of that racist pig flop will stick to the Hillary campaign and add to the resentment if he doesn’t get the top billing. Anything to make the glassy eyed ones stay home.

a capella on March 7, 2008 at 1:50 PM

This isn’t good for Obama.
It looks as if Hillary told him to fire Power and he did it!

Bwahahahahahah.

I can’t stand Obama and I seriously cannot stand his wife.

We are a country at war and neither of the Dems are capable of running this country.

ArmyAunt on March 7, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Power resigns from Obama campaign

In other news, the Italian supreme court has outlawed men from touching their genitals in public.

The judges pointed out that if men needed to grab their crotches, they should wait until they were in the privacy of their own home.

Bill Clinton issued this statement:

“O My, I can’t understand the Italians. My crotch itches me all the time. If I’m in my office in the White House, do I have to wait until I get in bed to grab it? It makes no sense. That’s why I’m going to ask Hillary to appoint a secretary or an intern to scratch and grab my crotch, especially while I’m giving speeches. If speakers have Teleprompters, I should have a female crotch-grabber.”

Indy Conservative on March 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Is he going to fire his wife next? Mrs. Obama said much, much worse than Powers did. Instead of just insulting Hillary, Mrs. Obama insulted the entire nation.

Conservative_SAHM on March 7, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Hilary Clinton have used the race card; the gender card; the sympathy card and everything other card in the deck. She and her minions have suggested that Obama might be a muslim – “as far as I know” – but somehow she remains viable. Barack Obama lost a few primaries, one of his advisers made a stupid comment, and suddenly “he may not have many superdelegates left behind him”. Wow! Talk about measuring with a different yardstck.
I couldn’t care any less about Obama or the Clintons, but if that’s all it takes for these so-called superdelegates to abandon him, maybe he should quit right now.

RMR on March 7, 2008 at 1:59 PM

OK, so she was called a “monster.” Isn’t truth a defense to anything, anymore?

They’re both Communists. But, I’m sure that that truth would get a campaign worker fired, too.

America, “the land of the free” – except for freedom of thought and speech.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 7, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Boy! Rough week for Barry O!

Lovin every minute of it!

conservnut on March 7, 2008 at 2:01 PM

He can’t fire his wife, so the rest of the malcontents will walk the plank.

This is shapes of things to come with his cabinet if he gets elected.

Hening on March 7, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Very shortly, the Obama campaign is going to get a “real taste” of just how much of a monster this witch really is…. standby and watch, this show is just starting to get real good!

paulsur on March 7, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Isn’t this the same Samantha Power who is so anti-Israel and anti-Jewish-American ? she’s been taking a lot of flak for her comments (will copy them if I can find them again)on some blogs. I wonder if this is just the excuse they needed to get rid of her.

here’s one, but not the most inflammatory:

The money quote was somewhere else, written in the past week or two by another Harvard professor about her. After pressed about her comments, she says she couldn’t explain them.

Try this if you want to hate this bitch even more.

JiangxiDad on March 7, 2008 at 2:06 PM

“You don’t believe that Senator Clinton’s a Monster?” Kroft asked Sen. Obama.

“Of course not. I mean, that, you know, there is no basis for that. I take her on the basis of what she says. And, you know, there isn’t any reason to doubt that,” he replied.

“You said you’d take Senator Clinton at her word that she’s not…a Monster. You don’t believe that she’s…,” Kroft said.

“No. No, there is nothing to base that on. As far as I know,” he said.

MB4 on March 7, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Are there going to be any wheels left of this thing by

November
The Convention
Pennsylvania
the end of the weekend?

Chuck Schick on March 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM

I am not a crook monster!
- Hillary Milhouse Clinton

MB4 on March 7, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Meanwhile, Hillary was last seen stomping on buildings , throwing trains and draining the blood from babies as she tours Pennsylvania. When asked by one reporter for a comment on the offensive remark, Hillary decapitated the reporter with a swish of her scaly tail.

OK……..I made all of that up.

Talon on March 7, 2008 at 2:16 PM

OK……..I made all of that up.

Talon on March 7, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Which part?

OhEssYouCowboys on March 7, 2008 at 2:19 PM

“No. No, there is nothing to base that on. As far as I know,” he said.

MB4 on March 7, 2008 at 2:07 PM

He threw the “as far as I know” back at her? Bwahaha!

TheBigOldDog on March 7, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Another unforced error by the Obama campaign. So when does Samantha Power check into rehab? Or is that not necessary since she got the boot?

ReubenJCogburn on March 7, 2008 at 2:19 PM

It should be so easy to discredit this guy. He was getting sweetheart deals on million dollar homes while poor americans were struggling to survive…My god it’s perfect.

tomas on March 7, 2008 at 2:20 PM

ReubenJCogburn on March 7, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Rehab is only necessary if you’re a “racist” or a “bigot.”

:OP

OhEssYouCowboys on March 7, 2008 at 2:21 PM

A child rapist is a monster. Hillary is just a corrupt politician Democrat. There’s a difference.

amkun on March 7, 2008 at 2:23 PM

highhopes on March 7, 2008 at 12:59 PM

It reads better:

“In other words if you can’t stand the heat honey, maybe you should not stay in the kitchen, baking cookies!”

LMAO

belad on March 7, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Just like Democrats to get mad at someone who tells the truth.

If I were Obama, I would not have recanted. I would have gone into more detail concerning Hillary’s habit of hiding under bridges and eating naughty children.

Grafted on March 7, 2008 at 2:31 PM

People do not vote or not vote for a ticket because of the VP. Besides, uh…sure, The Messiah’s fervent backers will be really happy if he’s asked to move to the back of the bus… so to speak. Puhleeze. This in not going to be a partnership. One wins, one loses.

Sugar Land on March 7, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Bill Clinton issued this statement:

Indy Conservative on March 7, 2008 at 1:54
PM

Now that was funny! As I read it, I actually heard Bill Clintons voice saying those words!

kcd on March 7, 2008 at 2:40 PM

“Hillary has Obama clearly on the defensive. A few more weeks of this and Obama may not have many superdelegates left behind him.”

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm……… not many superdelegates and the convention approaching? Could be Schadenfreudealicious!

Seven Percent Solution on March 7, 2008 at 2:43 PM

my comment seems to have disappeared.
Samantha Powers is an anti-semite. She’s been written extensively on by Ed Lasky at Americanthinker.com. She’s a major foreign policy advisor to Obama, and has taken some flak in the blogs for her anti-Israel stance. She wants to give the Palestinians billions of US tax dollars. I called her a bitc$ so maybe that’s why my comment is gone.

They may have been looking for an excuse to pull her off of the hot seat, but she will likely end up working in the Obama WH imo.

JiangxiDad on March 7, 2008 at 2:45 PM

You know, this is really sad and depressing.

Football teams have them.

Basketball teams have them.

Why the presidential candidates don’t have Cheerleaders???

I mean, can’t we have something refreshing in this long election cycle? Come on.

I propose that every candidate start hiring a ‘cheerleading consutltant’ as soon as possible, and begin recruiting the most fit chicks for this job.

Just think about it.

Wouldn’t it be fun to watch nice pretty girls wearing scantily and doing a ‘split’ or a ‘somersault’ on the podium, especially during a debate where tensions are high?

Man, I’m telling you.

Poll numbers would be up in the roof!!

Indy Conservative on March 7, 2008 at 2:48 PM

So, Medusa’s not a monster. Official!

OldEnglish on March 7, 2008 at 2:58 PM

kcd on March 7, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Well, to be honest with you. I had to put myself in Bill Clinton’s pants. I had to grab my crotch while typing to get the true feeling.

Indy Conservative on March 7, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Sugar Land on March 7, 2008 at 2:38 PM

I don’t know- as this drags on and gets nastier, a lot of hardcore Obama supporters aren’t going to be too thrilled about the prospect of voting for Hillary should she win. However if Obama is in the VP slot that might temper the liberal outrage enough that they vote for her. Obama is young enough that he could ride the VP position through to 2012 and run then.

However, it’s quite uncertain that Obama would accept a VP offer from Hillary, and right now Obama is still in the lead.

Hollowpoint on March 7, 2008 at 3:18 PM

There is only one explanation for this firing. He’s chicken. Bwack-Bwack Obama.

I don’t understand why he doesn’t just accept Mrs. Clinton’s gracious offer to let him be her Vice President and shut up already. If his underlings keep pissing her off she might take it back.

miles on March 7, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Actually, I give him credit for at least pretending to honor the absurd rhetoric of his campaign and fire the hired advisor who violated his claims of integrity.

He might be seduced by his own press clippings, but if he doesn’t fire her, it’s just more evidence (a al NAFTA-gate) of his cynicism.

Jaibones on March 7, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Like Karl rove said, it will be a few geological periods before the election. Wild things can happen, and probably will.

saiga on March 7, 2008 at 3:41 PM

She should have been publicly fired for this:

CrimsonFisted on March 7, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Hollowpoint – your big problem is that you can’t help thinking like a Republican. You’re projecting sanity where it won’t go, maturity where it’s never been. Check Huffpo and Recreate68 for your answer to Hillary being “awarded” the top slot.

rhodeymark on March 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Which part?

OhEssYouCowboys on March 7, 2008 at 2:19 PM

The part about the reporter asking her for a comment. He didn’t say anything…….she just felt like swishing her tail.

Talon on March 7, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Thanks, Sammie. You done good.

petefrt on March 7, 2008 at 4:32 PM

How long did it take for her to let it be known that she graduated from Harvard?

JAW on March 7, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Old habits are hard to break. She’s a democrat calling Hillary a monster. Too funny, and sad. If Obama wasn’t in this race, she would be hanging off one of Hillary’s tentacles.

Hog Wild on March 7, 2008 at 8:39 PM

It’s a real shame that she has had to resign over this. Today for the first time I saw three different interviews with her and she is extremely thoughtful and articulate. In fact hearing her detailed answers made me much more comfortable with Obama’s foreign policy and cleared up most of the murkiness caused by his opponents talking points. Detailed answers on Iraq’s future and the framework for any meetings with rogue leaders would have made most Republicans and many conservatives more comfortable. One of those interviewing her, Jeremy Paxman, is famous for being abrasive and asking pointed questions and she handled it very well. Hopefully if Obama is successful he will bring her back on the team. Nothing wrong with saying Clinton is a monster anyway…

lexhamfox on March 7, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Since Samantha Power was an unpaid adviser, I expect that she could quit, and still be an unpaid adviser. Is she?

Dasher on March 8, 2008 at 1:22 PM