Mckinnzie Bewley update: Uncle’s open letter to Hot Air readers

posted at 4:00 pm on March 6, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

On Tuesday, I wrote about the heroism of Kevin Bewley, who gave his life for his comrades and his nation while attempting to defuse a terrorist explosive in Iraq last November. He left behind a four-year-old daughter, Mckinnzie, who suffers from cerebral palsy and needs therapy to learn to walk. Kevin’s brother, J. Patrick Bewley, launched a website to promote a trust fund set up by the family and the Navy to provide care and therapy for Mckinnzie. Afterwards, I received a letter from the Bewleys and wanted to share it with Hot Air readers:

My brother Kev (Kevin R. Bewley) was the real deal. We grew up in a rural town in Arkansas of about 400 people and we lived about 5 miles outside of town.

During two tours of duty in Iraq, he put himself in harms way over 288 times to disarm bombs in places like elementary schools, public markets, and busy streets. He was the kind of guy that would always step up.. often when no one else would. He never had any agenda for it. He just simply knew he could make a difference. And he did. He personally saved the lives of thousands of Iraqi citizens and hundreds of fellow American soldiers. He did it because he believed in the guy next to him.

One of his fellow sailors said this at his memorial:

“In all my years in the Navy, I’ve never met a man who exuded such positive energy,” one sailor wrote. “He didn’t bother with negativity. He didn’t have any room for it . . . Simply put, KB was the man.” “He was a beacon of sanity in an insane world.”

Kev loved Kinnzie more than anything. You can hear it in his voice for yourself on her website. He had plans and dreams for them when his time in the Navy was done. He wanted to buy a house back in Arkansas for him and her. He was passionate about her therapy and wanted to see her walk on her own.

I made a promise to look after Kinnzie for him. I am and I will. I really appreciate you taking the time to visit and read about her story and what a hero my brother was. His sacrifice serves as an inspiration for all of us to be a part of something larger than ourselves.

J. Patrick Bewley

In corresponding with Patrick, he tells me that the Hot Air community has already shown great generosity since the first post on Tuesday, and the family is very grateful for that — as am I. If you haven’t had an opportunity to visit the website and contribute to the fund yet, please take a little time to do so soon. If you can’t afford to contribute, then send them a note of support and keep them in your prayers.

Comments

Well I just walked back into the room and saw this post. Amazing how I take that for granted, but not today. I will appreciate every step I take today. Mckinnzie, may you have miles and miles of happy walking in your future. ❤

RushBaby on March 6, 2008 at 4:07 PM

I’ve just popped a few £’s in the jar.

Thanks to HA for allowing us (By flagging this up) to help in some way, not often you can assist in such a clear fashion – hope the kid does well, sure she will with genes from a Dad like that…

VeniVidiVidic on March 6, 2008 at 4:13 PM

The Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund honors the bravery and dedication exhibited by Americans in our Armed Forces who have sacrificed life or limb defending our country by providing educational scholarships to their children. Thousands of soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and Guardsmen have been killed in the War on Terror.

Thousands more members of our Armed Forces have been permanently disabled, leaving their families in difficult financial situations. Their children – the sons and daughters of America’s military heroes – (many of whom are now young) will be eligible for a Freedom Alliance Scholarship in the years to come.

Freedom Alliance has established a permanent Scholarship Trust Fund to aid the children of these brave Americans so that for many years to come, we will be able to help the children of American heroes when it is their turn to attend college.

Through the generosity of so many patriotic Americans, the Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund will provide scholarships for thousands of young Americans, reminding them that their parents’ sacrifice will never be forgotten by a grateful nation.

Chakra Hammer on March 6, 2008 at 4:16 PM

This is the difference between us and the left-wing blogs. This is the difference.

blatantblue on March 6, 2008 at 4:17 PM

I’ll send some money. It’s the least I can do for someone who gave so much for his country.

SoulGlo on March 6, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Sean Hannity does Freedom concerts all the time, thats what they are for..

Chakra Hammer on March 6, 2008 at 4:20 PM

I totally missed this the first time around, so I am so happy there was a follow-up. I am definitely going to make a sizable contribution.

D2Boston on March 6, 2008 at 4:22 PM

You know, there are two Americas:

1) people like Kevin and people like us

2) and people like Keith Olbermann.

blatantblue on March 6, 2008 at 4:22 PM

It is we who are thankful. My family, and I know the HA family, will forever be in Kevin’s debt. The ‘best’ generation is still with us, and Kevin is a grand example of that. God bless him, and God bless your family.

Limerick on March 6, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Ed– loved your tag line from a few days ago: “He had our back, do we have his?”

Let’s step up for the Bewley family, folks. This ain’t no save-the-spotted-kangaroo-rat-snail-darter; this is a small way we can say “Thank you” to the memory of a guy whose boots most of us are not fit to shine. If you go to the Bewley website and are not humbled and moved just a little bit, you’re either an East German cyborg… or a HuffPo poster.

Pasalubong on March 6, 2008 at 4:46 PM

BTW, that Freedom Alliance fund is separate, from the link posted at the top and goes to ALL of the kids, not just this one.

Chakra Hammer on March 6, 2008 at 4:51 PM

I’ve never felt so compelled to give.

God Bless The Whole Family.

macummings on March 6, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Best and saddest money ever given. This is my nephew’s job, although I think he is a finder and not a disarmer. God bless each and every one of them!!!

3rd Recon
Eyes of the Dragon

Suburbandad on March 6, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Thanks for posting this, Ed. I could only stay at the site long enough to donate. I must be allergic; my eyes kept watering up.

mikeyboss on March 6, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Where do we get people like this? I am both proud to help and ashamed that I can do so little in return.

d1carter on March 6, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Thank you Kevin R. Bewley!

…and thank you Lt Col Ollie North, not just for the Freedom Alliance but for all of your years of defending this nation and guarding our backs also

Vntnrse on March 6, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Thanks Cap’n Ed, you’re the best!

jimbo2008 on March 7, 2008 at 8:10 AM

I coughed up $10.00. Cap’n Ed made me cry!

manfriend on March 7, 2008 at 10:31 AM