Far left ready to blow the lid off the Democratic convention, maybe literally

posted at 1:51 pm on March 6, 2008 by Allahpundit

Hysterical wingnut overreaction to the “Re-create ’68!” jackassery that’s percolating in some leftist circles? Indeed, if you count HuffPo among the hysterical wingnuts. Hope and Change from the mailbag of lefty author Rick Perlstein:

Rick, if the Machine tries to give the Clintons the victory at the convention, I swear to God, Chicago’s going to look like a Sadie Hawkins dance. People my age are going to be throwing stones. We all have transportation — cell phones — disposable income — the Internet — free time — and Seattle as our example. Part of me is scared of a riot. Part of me isn’t. The nomination belongs to Obama. Do you think we’re going to let the Democratic Leadership Council take it? “God gave Noah the rainbow sign. No more water, fire next time.”

And:

Not to mention that there’s going to be a significant Iraq veteran contingent at the convention, ready to rock ‘n’ roll. We’ve already had planning meetings about it — we’re going about it the same way that we would plan any decent military operation.

Put it this way: if she goes for the gold in Denver, she’ll have to claim the medal somewhere other than the Pepsi Center.

And:

I can’t emphasize enough how potentially scary things could get — we’ve got folks working on the inside of the convention, and it’s all done on a cell basis, so that folks only know what they need to know.

I’m trying to keep everyone calm, as I just mentioned, but it’s getting harder and harder to do so.

Exit question: First the Times Square bombing, now this. How does Rove do it?

Update: Hard feelings are all but certain:

If black voters who have supported Obama think he lost the nomination because the rules of the contest were unfairly changed, the backlash could be damaging, some civil rights activists said.

“You would be changing the rules after you’ve had the contest,” the Rev. Al Sharpton said. “In Michigan, Obama’s name wasn’t even on the ballot. Clearly, if the name of the candidate who’s getting the African American vote isn’t on the ballot, that encourages many to stay home. . . . It would be a tremendous insult to the voters of this country.”

An Obama victory could split the party in a different way. Like Clinton, the Illinois senator is likely to need the votes of Democratic superdelegates — party activists and elected officials who are free to back any candidate. Suspicion among Clinton voters that Obama courted superdelegates through backroom deals could upset female and Latino voters loyal to the former first lady.

Comments

What would prevent the Klinton machine from pulling another Vince Foster?

Can anyone count out that scenario?

awesum on March 7, 2008 at 6:45 AM

Sighhhh, yet another truther who wants to believe. More evidence of the sad state of the American public education system and the parents who raise their kids with the television.

Bradky on March 7, 2008 at 6:49 AM

1968 was the first Presidential election I really paid attention to. If they recreate ’68, that means: libs will riot, police will haul many asses to jail, and we will get a Republican for President. I’m OK with all of that.

jimbo2008 on March 7, 2008 at 7:42 AM

Don’t worry DNC, go ahead and fix it for Clinton . . . I think the Obamamaniacs will understand and will be happy to welcome Hillary in as their candidate. Although, it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep your doors locked and wear protective headgear.

rplat on March 7, 2008 at 8:01 AM

Unfairly changed? While I think that the Democrats having super delegates is daft, it is in the rules. If you don’t like playing by the rules, suck it up: you can’t just change the rules because you don’t like the outcome.

Oh, wait a minute. I forgot that I was talking about the Democrats for a second.

Physics Geek on March 7, 2008 at 8:03 AM

Physics Geek on March 7, 2008 at 8:03 AM

And a Clinton – so that means anything goes to get over the top.

jdawg on March 7, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Clinton will win the nomination.

Obama will never be able to win anything again, unless he runs as an Independent in 2008.

Maybe Obama/Bloomberg 08

faraway on March 7, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Can we vote they go somewhere , ANYWHERE, other than Denver?
Please?

shooter on March 7, 2008 at 10:34 AM

If Shrillery takes the VP slot…….

What would prevent the Klinton machine from pulling another Vince Foster?

Um… how much Secret Service protection did Vince Foster rate?

And how much would President Obama rate, by contrast?

Engage brain prior to starting mouth.

philwynk on March 7, 2008 at 10:55 AM

I am applying to Denver’s city permit department for a street vendor’s license to operate the “electric kool-ade” concession.

OkieDoc on March 7, 2008 at 11:11 AM

OkieDoc on March 7, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Hey, you can set up you kool-aide stand beside my organic colon cleansing stand and Hollowpoints stone stand. Woo-Hoo! We can make 2 million!

kcd on March 7, 2008 at 11:41 AM

I give up too….the hand sitters will talk about 2012. They’ll take it back. Of course it will only take until 2032 to undo all the damage, but hey, they will have stood on principle.

Limerick

Right, we’ll clean this mess up in 2032.

And the revision of the Commerce Clause functionally removing the 9th amendment after the New Deal? We fixed that in 20 years too. Which is why the Federal Government again restricts itself to the areas directly listed in the Constitution and doesn’t go outside those boundaries.

Oh wait, they increase the scope, size, and boundaries every year. Maybe Constitutional damage doesn’t get healed as fast as everything else does.

But hey, it could be “oooh Democrats in office” so we have to elect the one man who has made it his goal in life to silence Political speech and attack the First Amendment every chance he gets?

Color me unconvinced. Honestly, I think you’re right. It will take 15-25 years to fix whatever the Dems mess up over the next 4-8 years. It’ll be bad, and we’ll hate it.

However if McCain get to appoint his picks for the FEC Commission and silence political debate amongst the “unapproved sources” I’m unconvinced that this is a “fixable” problem. Nothing I see historically shows the timeframe for correcting this sort of Constitutional f***-up.

Do I think McCain losing will make 2012 or 2016 more palatable, or more Conservative? Probably not.

Do I think that Republicans can or will learn from a McCain loss and turn back to Reagan Conservatism? No, they haven’t shown themselves to be that clever.

Do I think it’ll take 20ish years to correct the problems that Hillary/Obama will cause? Yes, most likely.

And yet I still think McCain, and his attacks on the First Amendment will be the larger, more lasting, and less solvable problem.

Now, if you can show a Constitutional crisis, caused by a President who has made an attack like this, but was overturned and correct within a 5-20 year period; I’ll consider changing my mind. But every example I’ve seen (there aren’t many, but still) has created a “never to be corrected” problem.

“Congress shall make no law … abridging Freedom of Speech”. Somehow McCain isn’t filling me with trust that he’ll protect the Constitution, and from what I’ve seen historically, that’s the worst long-term threat here.

gekkobear on March 7, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Ok, sorry for that though. Back onto topic.

I live in Colorado Springs (1 hour drive or so south of Denver, depending on “where in Denver” and traffic), so hypothetically I could go watch this.

Pardon me if I’m not as enthused with the idea as some here seem to be. If I hear of a demolition planned, I don’t want to be that nearby. And (in this case) if I hear of a half-planned riot, I’ll stay at least 60 miles away.

Too many opportunities for accidents and bad situations. I live a peaceful, calm, boring life. Mostly because I learned that “exciting” and “painful” often go together. the last day I recall complaining about being “bored” I had a gun pointed at me less than an hour later. Boring isn’t so bad really…

So for those of you really planning on being at ground zero for this, be careful, stay safe, and pay attention because that sort of problem can escalate far more rapidly than you might think.

gekkobear on March 7, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I look back on the 1968 Democratic Convention with fondness.

TooTall on March 7, 2008 at 1:28 PM

A measly 12% of the population is going to hold the rest of the country hostage with the threat of civil disobedience? Like children, if they don’t get their way they’re going to have a temper tantrum. Sounds like a plan to me. We won’t see Democratic control of the country for the next century if they act stupid.

UnEasyRider on March 7, 2008 at 2:27 PM

UnEasyRider on March 7, 2008 at 2:27 PM

That’s what we’re counting on : )

kcd on March 7, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Money. They riot, martial law is declared, and we have to break out the OC hydrant. Sweet Carolina its gonna be a good convention!

Did anyone spend some time on Huffington Post reading their comments? Even the ones that don’t advocate violence sound crazy. Dirty hippies…

I say we ship the DNC 1,000 boxes of soap for the convention. They want 1968? Let’s play ball.

blankminde on March 7, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Weebork on March 6, 2008 at 2:03 PM

You don’t know too much about Colorado.

jdkchem on March 7, 2008 at 7:59 PM

UnEasyRider on March 7, 2008 at 2:27 PM

It hasn’t stopped them before!

Saltysam on March 7, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Every time I read about this, they seem to get more motivated and violent. Seriously, I live a Mile High and I actually wanted to try and attend the DNC just to be a part of history. But if history is going to involve breaking things, people and whatever else gets in the way…count me out. Consider the black mark that would stain both the DNC and Denver if this thing goes south.

I love my city (15 years and counting) but this crowd that talks this talk is bloody well out of control. Let’s hope they have a reality check soon to avoid the insanity.

techinblack on March 7, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Gotta look at it this way….

It probably either a Riot Situation at the DNC convention, or a riot sit. after the general election, almost no matter what in Nov 08…….

This 12% nutroots, as shown in Seattle, Univ. shoutdowns, are total nuts…….

The Dems wanna give us a Boob w/ 2 nuts or a Nut w/ 2 Boobs, and they will do anything to force that choice on us

sbark on March 7, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Ahhh, who cares what the left wing nuts do? We have enough to worry about with the Kennedy-Feingold luvvin’ global warming nutcase that wants to close Gitmo and make all of the illegals legal. Is there any was we can get a “do over”?

darwin-t on March 7, 2008 at 10:54 PM

I have high hopes for riots in Denver. Can you imagine what Howard Dean is having to endure right now? How many horse heads has he woken up with courtesy of Don Clinton? And you know these super delegates that have openly backed Hussein Obama will be purged. Let the hurting begin!

manfriend on March 7, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Bradky on March 7, 2008 at 6:49 AM

Bradky,

Are you sure?

Dave R. on March 8, 2008 at 1:37 AM

As much as I despise McCain, there is a stark difference in him and Obama or Hillary.

kcd on March 6, 2008 at 1:57 PM

And, what difference would that be?

Dave R. on March 8, 2008 at 1:41 AM

Ok – the (presumably white) hippies say they are going to show up in Denver and make big trouble. The Sharpton/Jackson wing of Perpetual Victimhood blacks also show up in Denver with vengeance on their minds. Ummmm… sounds like an oddly circular firing squad. Bring on the popcorn.

Fishoutofwater on March 8, 2008 at 3:46 AM

Bradky,

Are you sure?

Dave R. on March 8, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Dave R.
More than ever now. Please spare me the conspiracy garbage – Jerry Falwell was hawking the video about this and the alleged connection with Arkansas drug dealers many years ago.
Perhaps you were in class learning the multiplication tables — tenth grade wasn’t it?

Bradky on March 8, 2008 at 8:07 AM

Sounds like a plan to me.

Sounds like a bunch of “true” conservatives to me.

willingness to ruin country for their own selfish ends – check
temper tantrum – check
sense of entitlement – check
moral authority complex – check

Squid Shark on March 8, 2008 at 8:31 AM

And, what difference would that be?

Dave R. on March 8, 2008 at 1:41 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry I needed that good laugh. How about on…
Spending
earmarks
staying the course in Iraq
Supporting the surge
real support of our military
taxes
health care
abortion

These are just the ones I come up with sitting here at my table.

Squid Shark on March 8, 2008 at 8:36 AM

ishoutofwater on March 8, 2008 at 3:46 AM

It would only be a firing squad if Obama wins, otherrwise they would both be fighting the man woman

Squid Shark on March 8, 2008 at 8:38 AM

America is a moderate Center Right Nation. Perhaps 20% of America is far left and 20% far right. That leaves a huge 60% gap of moderates . John McCain is the only moderate centrist in this race. McCain wins 54-46 or better.

Dennis D on March 9, 2008 at 8:52 AM

Dennis D on March 9, 2008 at 8:52 AM

Yes but if you listen to the “true” conservatives, they think that they are immune to “falling in line”. They think that moderates are supposed to keep “shutting up” and “take it”.

Movement Conservatives are think that they have the inherent right to rule the Republican Party. I would bet dimes to doughnuts that most Americans go along with conservatives because of fiscal responsibility more than anything else. “True” conservatives in congress and in different states have betrayed that. We have nominated a Moderate now that has a great record on spending and earmarks.

Squid Shark on March 9, 2008 at 9:10 AM

If Obama gives the #2 spot to Shrillary, then he could be the first US president to commit suicide. The only question….before or after….. the inauguration.

volsense on March 9, 2008 at 12:13 PM

One of the good things that might come out of the convention is 9 EV’s for McCain. Colorado is looking like it could be a key swing state this election cycle.

I wonder how many voters will be totally turned off by the Democrats after seeing what the Democratic party will have done to Denver with their convention circus and the freaks in the sideshow. Having a bunch of drug addled aging hippies and “rage against my trust fund” anarchists causing utter chaos and torching businesses during the convention is a great way to show off the Democratic party at its’ “best”.

Nahanni on March 9, 2008 at 8:33 PM

All we Republicans have to do is turn on the TV, pop some popcorn, and enjoy the Democrat self destruct convention show.

…Rocky Mountain high-EYE (in Colorado)…

(I will seriously pray that these violent people gathering there do no harm.)

Mojave Mark on March 10, 2008 at 12:19 AM

If the DNC can cave on their own rules regrading Florida and Michigan, then let them change the venue from Denver to Chicago so survivors of the original “Chicago Seven” can make a comeback.

Really, Denver does not need to be contaminated by the DNC Convention. If Denver insists on going ahead, then they have to be prepared to live with the ghosts of Chicago as well as South Park.

MSGTAS on March 10, 2008 at 8:35 AM

“An Obama victory could split the party in a different way.”

Ya, split it between conservatives and fascists. At least it would be more representative.

Sounder on March 10, 2008 at 10:55 AM