Breaking: Bombing at Big Apple military recruitment center Update: Serial bomber?

posted at 7:13 am on March 6, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Given the escalating protests over military recruitment, it seems inevitable that people would bomb those who seek to protect the nation and fight our enemies. This morning, unknown attackers bombed a Times Square military recruitment office. Thankfully, the office and the building that housed it was closed at the time of attack:

An explosive device damaged a military recruiting station in Times Square early Thursday, and police blocked off the area to investigate.

The explosive device caused minor damage, and no one was injured, police said. The explosion shattered a glass entryway. …

Witnesses staying at a hotel in the area said they heard a “big bang” and could feel the building shake. A large plume of smoke was also visible after the explosion, they said.

Melanie Morgan just wrote about the escalating attacks on military recruiters a week ago. She lists several cities where recruitment centers have been attacked in varying degrees, usually limited to vandalism and threats of violence. These operations have not hurt military recruiting at all. Michelle wrote about this two years ago (and many times since), and quite obviously the attackers have grown frustrated that they haven’t frightened off enough people to slow down the flow of recruits.

Now the movement has decided to morph into domestic terrorism. Of course, the people responsible will claim that they bombed the office during the night to keep anyone from being hurt. That’s exactly the same kind of rationalization that people like the Weather Underground and the SLA used at first, anyway — that terrorism was justified by their politics. In fact, a few like William Ayers and Bernadette Dohrn still claim that.

And what exactly are the politics behind this? The US does not have a draft any longer. The only people joining the military are those who volunteer to do so. The Code Pink protesters who throw paint, rocks, and the unknown terrorists who throw bombs want to disarm the nation while it’s under attack by radical jihadists, and at the same time want to stop young men and women from exercising their own choices. Since the Code Pink contingent and the nutcases who throw bombs can’t possibly win through the democratic process, they want to engage in intimidation — and now terrorism — to frighten people into acquiescence.

When this fails to achieve their goals, expect bombs to find human targets.

UPDATE: It didn’t take long for the inevitable conspiracy-theory mavens to appear on Daily Kos. Diarist “antirove” claims that this could just be a conservative plot to make the Left look bad:

It’s nothng [sic] new for the right to CAUSE or INCITE the violence, or to trigger arranged mob responses, and make sure it all gets pinned on the Left. And the right seems to be able to get the FBI and law enforcement to do this for them as well. Anarchy, chaos, property damage, physical harm, mayhem, murder, militarized police with massive crowd control equipment, are all ‘options’ the right are eager to use to shut down any potentially energizing movement.

I don’t think the Left needs much help in making themselves look like nutters, and “antirove” him/herself is Exhibit A.

UPDATE II: Bob Owens has some analysis from the photographs of the blast. He’s not sure whether this fits the profile of an anti-war activist attack.

UPDATE III: Police now say that the bomb was “roughly similar” to two other bombings in NYC, at the Mexican and British consulates. They have some clear video of the incident as well:

Officials said that in today’s attack, a man bundled in a gray hooded jacket or sweatshirt and wearing a backpack was seen riding a bicycle around the recruiting station and acting suspiciously moments before the explosion. Video footage from a surveillance camera showed a bicyclist dismounting, approaching the recruitment center, then returning to the bike and riding away before the explosion occurs.

Interesting. It fits closer to Bob Owen’s analysis. And I’ll say this much — if so, then my original post jumped to conclusions. The anti-war protesters have turned to intimidation and vandalism, and if unchecked will proceed to violence. However, this may not have had anything to do with the anti-war movement, and I should have been a little more circumspect about that this morning.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Failure to condemn = tacit approval. If lefties don’t want to get lumped in with these radicals, they need to start speaking out against them.

So far, all I’m hearing from the left is that it’s a right-wing plot. That alone says volumes.

Vic on March 6, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Fine, coming from the left(-ish) I use my voice to formally condemn this act. It WAS an act of terror designed, in one way or another, harm our US military, which regardless of any feelings on their deployment, have done absolutely nothing to harm the US population, and seek only to protect, and make the world a safer place for ALL nations, particularly our own.

I’m curious as to what would happen if I were to post that over on that other blog. It’s crazy, because they would instantly think I was some right wing wacko hawk who wanted their first born for my army.

beefytee on March 6, 2008 at 11:52 AM

beefytee on March 6, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Stick around beefy. A rational lefty voice is welcome here.
Keeps us all thinking and designer labels off HAs jeans.

Limerick on March 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Fine, coming from the left(-ish) I use my voice to formally condemn this act.
beefytee on March 6, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Makes sense to me. I guess it would be interesting to head over to DKos and see if anyone is offering logic on this yet. Call it wishful thinking…

blankminde on March 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I think the Kos-appropriate lingo is “itself…” If this turns out to be a new domestic terror group, I wonder if it puts more emphasis on the Obama/Weather Underground story?

gstevens97 on March 6, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Does this mean that Mama Sheehan and the Pinkos are actually conservatives inciting their mob responses – to make sure it all gets pinned on the left?

Rick on March 6, 2008 at 12:02 PM

beefytee on March 6, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Made my day! Thank you, and please stick around here.

Entelechy on March 6, 2008 at 12:04 PM

I remember the day after the Oklahoma City bombing, when the nation turned to President Bill Clinton, for comfort.

He opened his mouth, what would he say?

“I blame Rush Limbaugh.”

A prescient observer would have known at that exact moment that Bill Clinton would never be a great president, and would end his career impeached, disbarred, and forever disgraced.

That’s a little shout out to you folks who are trying to sound all above the fray by whining about how important it is that we not tar all leftists for the crimes of some. For God’s sake, you rats picked a president who did that very thing. The man is a disgrace to our nation, but you don’t care about standards, about being above the fray really. You’re bringing that despicable man back into the White House. Shame on you.

jeff_from_mpls on March 6, 2008 at 12:04 PM

jeff

McCain is a clone of Bush? Lay off the sci fi champ.

Dr. Manhattan on March 6, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Aren’t they looking for a litter of puppies as the prime suspects?

jim m on March 6, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Some past protests against that recruiting office have been over “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”

——
From: “Six ACT OUT students arrested in Times Square”
by Nadine Reitman, Staff Writer
THE MISCELLANY NEWS (Vassar), 11/09/06

Photo caption: “Police lead Peter Whinn ’08 out of a U.S. military recruitment office in Times Square. Whinn and five other Vassar students were arrested and held overnight for their civil disobedience in protesting the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy on homosexuality.”

RBMN on March 6, 2008 at 12:12 PM

The Left thinks their agenda is sooooo pure, that the failure of this country to full adopt it must be due to unlawful suppression from the VRWC. The light has never gone on in their collective heads that their adenda fails because it is un-American and anti-freedom. Eternally stuck on stupid.

Mallard T. Drake on March 6, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Limerick on March 6, 2008 at 9:07 AM

AMEN

ihasurnominashun on March 6, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Desperate:
They would be hard pressed to find a conservative professor that vandalized her own car and blame it on liberals, they would never find a conservative group defacing the nations monuments, they would never find campuses allowing conservative groups shouting down speakers, they would never find conservatives breaking into homes and beating up a liberal voter, they would never find liberal speakers banned from campuses…but they seem to find a conservative that attacks another conservative organization.
Fools…desperate fools…

right2bright on March 6, 2008 at 12:27 PM

There is nothing like a bomb to turn up the pressure of your protest. We get it already. You hate the Military. Some of these far left groups are going too far, and must be stopped. The sad thing to me is that these leftist radicals make up a portion of the democrat party. Why can’t the dem leaders condemn them and bid adios to their money and support. What exactly do Senators Obama, and Clinton feel about the constant and increasing threats and inpending violence towards our Military recruiters? Where do they stand on our ability to recruit without the constant presence of code pink? What will you do as POTUS to insure that a safe and secure environment is provided for our Military to continue to recruit volunteers to serve this great country?

chief on March 6, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Mallard T. Drake on March 6, 2008 at 12:12 PM

“Un-American” gets thrown around a lot. Especially these days at dissenting liberals who do not agree with current policy or with the current administration. I say to those accusers, you could not be more wrong.

Dissent is a principal this nation was founded upon, and exercising that right is one of the most American things you can do.

You are serving your country when you question policy.
You are serving your country when you question those in a position of power, and those that agree with that position.

I could quote founding fathers, but we all know the quotes, and I think my argument can stand on its own merit.

Questioning the policies of America is NOT un-American. Taking a position against a war that claims to liberate people from oppression in no way signifies “anti-freedom”.

Throwing an exploding object at a government building however. THAT is about as un-American as you can get. In my opinion, attempting to stifle dissent, and to ignore or supress those questioning authority is equally un-American.

beefytee on March 6, 2008 at 12:32 PM

jeff_from_mpls on March 6, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Hey! I thought I was the token Republican in Minneapolis, dammit. Who let you in? ;)

Hollowpoint on March 6, 2008 at 12:32 PM

So. I guess this means the Marxist Libs are still mad about that puppy throwing stunt?

Egfrow on March 6, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Damn, I was just about to ask how long the nutroots would take until they blamed it on a government conspiracy or Rush Limbaugh listeners. ‘I try to be cynical, but it’s hard to keep up.’

Socratease on March 6, 2008 at 12:36 PM

beefytee on March 6, 2008 at 12:32 PM

You should add to that – openly rooting for our enemies to defeat us, as many of these so-called “peace” activists are doing, as well as, interfering in the operations of our recruiters. Those activities are not just un-American, they are treasonous. And I, for one, have had enough of the treasonous left to last me a lifetime.

jdawg on March 6, 2008 at 12:41 PM

beefytee on March 6, 2008 at 12:32 PM

I was speaking of the Left’s agenda in general, and yes it is un-American and anti-freedom. They are pushing a Marxist/Socialist agenda that increases government control over our lives that is far, far beyond the limits of the Constitution. In that regard, it is un-American plain and simple. The freedom to dissent is also in the Constitution. The bombin a recruitment office, or anything for that matter, is not freedom of dissent protected by the Constitution. .

Mallard T. Drake on March 6, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Mallard T. Drake on March 6, 2008 at 12:42 PM

as I agreed with in my post.

Unfortunately, I can’t really argue against the other points in your post.

beefytee on March 6, 2008 at 12:56 PM

jdawg on March 6, 2008 at 12:41 PM

werd

beefytee on March 6, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Maybe unrelated, but via a linker to LGF, someone placed a pipe bomb inside the mailbox of a retired Air Force officer in Massachusets.

newton on March 6, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Doesn’t Karl Rove have a bike in his garage? Just asking questions, mind you.

Not suggesting that Karl Rove personally planted the bomb to scare sheeple into voting for the GOP again. Nope, not doing that at all.

Just merely airing out a simple question.

wardrobedoor on March 6, 2008 at 1:00 PM

newton on March 6, 2008 at 12:59 PM

that’s business as usual in MA…the real news is that a retired air force officer is living there.

beefytee on March 6, 2008 at 1:01 PM

When this fails to achieve their goals, expect bombs to find human targets.

I think it’s more likely that people would be killed through ineptness (a la Weather Underground) than through targeting others. There’s not much use in targeting the bravest among us, so I’d expect military personnel to be the last targeted. And, as CY notes, this looks like someone who did all they could to avoid damaging anything other than property.

calbear on March 6, 2008 at 1:03 PM

calbear on March 6, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Like a drunk driver taking the back road to avoid traffic?
Just asking.

Limerick on March 6, 2008 at 1:10 PM

beefytee on March 6, 2008 at 12:32 PM

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 5 star General and 34th President of the United States of America.

MB4 on March 6, 2008 at 1:15 PM

A rational lefty voice

Like finding a full size spare in the trunk of a new car!

jdkchem on March 6, 2008 at 1:21 PM

I’d be hard pressed to conclude this wasn’t a show of solidarity with the scum sucking shitsplats that have been harassing the Marines in Berkeley.

irongrampa on March 6, 2008 at 1:25 PM

I know it’s too much to ask, but it would be lovely if the perps were connected to Ayers and Dohrn and their friends.

funky chicken on March 6, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Cover your eyes and plug your ears…if you don’t see or hear anything, it didn’t happen!!!

…AND…pull all of the police’s listening devices and cameras: domestic terrorists have rights!!!

Thank you – the Democrats.

PS: We support the troops.

PPS: And don’t contradict us: it isn’t fair and we’ll sue!!

landlines on March 6, 2008 at 1:29 PM

calbear on March 6, 2008 at 1:03 PM

therefore this behavior should be excused?

funky chicken on March 6, 2008 at 1:37 PM

therefore this behavior should be excused?

funky chicken on March 6, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Yeah, thank God somebody didn’t happen to walk by at the time it went off.

EnochCain on March 6, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Hear Hear…. I’ll second that one myself. I’ll go a step further and say that ANYONE that would do something of this Nature isn’t a anti-war protester, but a thug criminal, and should be locked in a jail cell.

WayWard Fundamentalist Christian on March 6, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Kafiiri is banned for his “crypto-jewish” nuance.

Thanks AP. That sort of nonsense has no place in prime time.

WayWard Fundamentalist Christian on March 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I heard on MSNBC about an hour ago A SMALL blast… I’m sure that’s the way they would describe a bomb at an abortion clinic!

sabbott on March 6, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Waiting for Hillary or Obama to condemn…waiting…still waiting…waiting…waiting…oh yea…she has tax returns to finish and he has hope and change to spread around…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

sabbott on March 6, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Anarchy, chaos, property damage, physical harm, mayhem, murder, militarized police…..

All things the socialist radical left specializes in. Interesting and quite revealing that they have no problem projecting their own moral bankruptcy onto those they hate, not able to comprehend that 99.99% of folks on “the right” would never even consider bombing a recruitment center, or a church, or any other institution we hold in high regard.

We aren’t motivated by the hate you live with every day, Mr. “antirove” – it’s just not there in our hearts.

“To the pure, all things are pure; but to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled.”
- Titus 1:15, NASB

infidel4life on March 6, 2008 at 4:14 PM

So what do you guys think? Code Pink? ELF?

SoulGlo on March 6, 2008 at 4:19 PM

So, we have a story about the bombing, but the uber-important UPDATE is that some whack-job on a website says it’s a right-wing plot? Okay then.

chriscoolc on March 6, 2008 at 4:32 PM

I’m thinking a case of domestic terror for sure. If I were a sympathizer or support of some foreign terror group, I think I’d want more than a symbolic, middle of the night bombing.
I’d put a bomb in the trash can at a mall food court or maybe somewhere in Turtle Bay.

I think the bomber’s goal in this was broken glass, twisted office furniture, etc in a recruiting office. Not dead servicemen or potential recruits.

It’s anyone from a lone nut job (my guess) to a handful of “neo-weathermen”.

But he’ll get caught before they find the anthrax letter guy…

darkpixel on March 6, 2008 at 5:13 PM

We partially have the city of Berkeley to thank for this escalation against military recruiters (and the military in general). Immorality begets more immorality. Whoever it turns out that did this, the justice legal system has to punish very severely.

I also partially blame the Bush Administration’s handling of traitor John Walker Lynn. Rather than try the sob for treason, a charge that certainly would have been legitimate for his actions, they gave him charges that he could plead out and he ended up getting a less sentenced, even though Americans did die because of his actions.

Weebork on March 6, 2008 at 5:49 PM

I think their tinfoil hats are getting too tight over there at Kos. Conservatives don’t blow up anything but enemies. It’s the liberals who blow up innocent people/anything patriotic here. Not us.

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on March 6, 2008 at 6:09 PM

My money’s on Code Pink.

SuperCool on March 6, 2008 at 6:13 PM

p.s. I’m waiting for them to blame Bush. They blame EVERYTHING
on Bush…

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on March 6, 2008 at 6:13 PM

I knew they didn’t really get The Unabomber.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 6, 2008 at 7:15 PM

MirCat, that thought briefly crossed my mind, too.

Ed Morrissey on March 6, 2008 at 7:18 PM

I knew they didn’t really get The Unabomber.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 6, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Fabulous!!! Update on the 8 House Dems who received letters, etc.? Just curios.

Branch Rickey on March 6, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Why, pray tell, can’t an “anti-war activist” have issues with Mexico and Britain?

corona on March 6, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Britain, yes, but Mexico? I don’t see the connection.

Besides, we know now that it was an anti-war protest, thanks to the letters sent to the Congressional delegation for NYC.

Ed Morrissey on March 6, 2008 at 9:24 PM

calbear on March 6, 2008 at 1:03 PM

How noble of them.

bojack on March 6, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Kafiiri is banned for his “crypto-jewish” nuance.

Allahpundit on March 6, 2008 at 9:08 AM

Nicely done.

As for the domestic terrorists, no worries. They are just the spoiled children of wealthy bankers, and they’ll blow themselves up before too long, like Dohrn’s boyfriend and Ayer’s former gay lover.

Jaibones on March 6, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Everybody relax. This is obviously some high schooler or he wouldn’t be doing it a 3:30 in the morning when everyone in New York is busy doing drugs and playing video games.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 6, 2008 at 10:27 PM

The imperialist, neocon zionist agents in the military are not “protecting” anybody except for the multinational oil companies (40 billion profits, hee haw!). Wake up. There are no republicans in the republican party, only crypto-jewish ripoff capitalists.

kafiiri on March 6, 2008 at 7:57 AM

Kafiiri is banned for his “crypto-jewish” nuance.

Allahpundit on March 6, 2008 at 9:08 AM

Good riddance. Not just a racist troll, but a stupid one.

It would do people like this a world of good to be required to serve a year or two in the military. Unfortunately, it would do the military a world of harm to have to put up with people like this for a year or two.

theregoestheneighborhood on March 7, 2008 at 12:13 AM

(This is off topic but I thought this was important. I have posted this on other threads as well)
IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ!
I am furious with Fox News! This morning, between 6:00-6:30am EST, I was watching the Fox News crawl. I was stunned to read the following: “Gunman opens fire in Jerusalem, killing 8 and wounding 9, before he was MURDERED by a soldier.” Murdered! Can you believe that??!! I am e-mailing Fox and anyone else I can think of, to say how outraged I am and to let them know that they are getting as bad as any of the other MSM idiots! Please take a moment to express your disappointment to Fox.

kcd on March 7, 2008 at 9:01 AM

kcd on March 7, 2008 at 9:12 AM

theregoestheneighborhood on March 7, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Actually it would do a world of good to have all able bodied 18 year old Americans spend one or two years serving their country in some capacity – be it job corps or military.

Bradky on March 7, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Here are photos of the Gathering of Eagles rally showing support Saturday afternoon for the military recruiting center in Times Square.

Tantor on March 9, 2008 at 2:05 AM