Video: Are you ready for Clinton/Obama?

posted at 10:48 am on March 5, 2008 by Allahpundit

Or Obama/Clinton? Are you kidding? Hillary doesn’t want to be outshone by a vice president with ten times the appeal she has, who’ll be expected to have a major role given all the media attention lavished on him. Likewise, Obama doesn’t want to languish for eight years in a do-nothing job Hillary will only use to try to isolate him. He doesn’t need to be VP to become the presumptive nominee next time, either; he’s better off building a record in the Senate and taking the edge off that inexperience rap. As for her being his veep, would you want the Clintons as your number two, triangulating and backbiting the hell out of you at every turn? No wonder he’s cool to the idea.

Then there’s this. Hillary’s learned her lesson; now Obama’s going to learn his. If you think McCain/Romney would be awkward…

Obama’s chief strategist David Axelrod hinted to reporters that the senator may now become more aggressive toward the Clinton team and might beginning raising questions about the ethics of Hillary and Bill Clinton.

When I asked Axelrod whether the apparent effectiveness of the Former First Lady’s more negative tone in recent days posed a problem for Obama, he responded: “If Senator Clinton wants to take the debate to various places, we’ll join that debate. We’ll do it on our own terms and we’ll do it in our own way. But if she wants to make issues like ethics and disclosure and law firms and real estate deals and all that sort of stuff issues, I don’t know why they’d want to go there.”

Seven more weeks!

UPDATE (Ed): I don’t think Barack Obama wants to be on a ticket with Hillary, not any longer if he ever considered it at all. He has enough problems with the Rezko story without getting associated with the Clinton baggage as well. At some point, he will tell the Democratic Party that either they take him as their nominee or not at all — and the Democrats will have a decision to make about which they can live without.

Comments

Queen Hillary won’t settle for being a princess.

Uh-uh.

fogw on March 5, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Pushmepullyou.

Shy Guy on March 5, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Didn’t hillary promise to release those tax files now?

lorien1973 on March 5, 2008 at 10:52 AM

I think the current level of acrimony will only rise now in the coming weeks, and will irrevocably damage any chance of such a scenario.

Darksean on March 5, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Queen Hillary won’t settle for being a princess.

Uh-uh.

fogw on March 5, 2008 at 10:51 AM

She would be the first female vp in history, with a chance remaining of becoming Pres. someday. She’s also rid of that pustule of a husband, and the dreary days of sitting with Schumer in the senate. If she thought she was going to lose she’d grab at the golden ring in a minute.

JiangxiDad on March 5, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Seven more weeks!

I am enjoying my first smile over this election in quite a while. Ah…

Jaibones on March 5, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Gee, maybe Hillary’s negatives aren’t just all old news. I’m certainly wiling to listen. Hey, why don’t they turn Michelle loose on her? Wouldn’t that just be too good to check?

a capella on March 5, 2008 at 10:59 AM

She will have to beat him up pretty good or rezko will have to sink him for her to pick him for vp. If she is stupid enough to pick damaged goods then mccain may win. I still will not vote for him if he picks someone like crist or grahm. Sorry, can’t do ti. I vote for conservatives not for republicans.

peacenprosperity on March 5, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Whatever. It’s going to be a heck of a good time watching those two weasels go after each other.

yo on March 5, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Clinton-Obama is likely if she wins. Obama-Clinton is not if he wins. He’d take VP because he’s gotten way farther than he deserves with his experience, and VP would solidify that, making him a strong candidate the next time.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on March 5, 2008 at 11:00 AM

for her to pick him for vp

For her to beat him at this point, I meant.

peacenprosperity on March 5, 2008 at 11:01 AM

I dont think MaMa Obama will allow Mr Obama to be VP. I cant imagine Hillary taking it either.

tshell on March 5, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Do it! Bring the Thunder!

Regardless the winner, we all get to witness to the Greatest Democratic $hit-Slinging-Festival Evah!

Viva la circular firing squad!

natesnake on March 5, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Yeah, I heard several Dem flacks trying to spin this as a good thing for the Democratic party, but this won’t be like the last month with McCain and Huckabee complimenting each other. This is going to be two candidates with no primaries after next week heading into a 6 week stretch of trying to win a state that doesn’t share Iowa’s proclivity towards “nice” campaigning. In the absence of actual votes happening every week, each campaign is going to have to try and stay on top of the news cycle every day, and the only way to do it is to land blows on the opponent.

Dudley Smith on March 5, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Also, of course Obama is adverse to the idea of a joint ticket. He has the delegate lead and the statistical math to support him. It’s a no-brainer.

natesnake on March 5, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Two tom cats in a gunny-sack!! It’ll be noisy and the fir will fly. Lookin’ forward to the show.

p40tiger on March 5, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Well, I’m an Obama supporter, and I certainly don’t want H.C. on the ticket. Frankly, I wish she’s just drop out before she screws them both over, but that ain’t going to happen now.

Not that I’m fantastic with predictions, but I’d say that Richardson would be the guy for V.P.

ChenZhen on March 5, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Or posed another way: Are you ready for Stalin/Carter?

Western_Civ on March 5, 2008 at 11:09 AM

I’d say that Richardson would be the guy for V.P.

I’d feel sorry for the interns.

natesnake on March 5, 2008 at 11:09 AM

That laugh needs to stop!

Chakra Hammer on March 5, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Please, please listen to Axelrod. Please, please listen to Axelrod. Well, and Michelle too.

C’mon Barry, take off the gloves and fight dirty against Hillary. It’s our only hope (of not having them share the dem ticket).

funky chicken on March 5, 2008 at 11:12 AM

I so hope there are riots at the democratic convention. Finally, a reason to watch that endless stream of pap! No justice, no peace!

manfriend on March 5, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Hillary has already been “first lady” once, not gonna play second fiddle again.

Chakra Hammer on March 5, 2008 at 11:15 AM

I hate to say this, but you’d have to be crazy to have a Clinton as VP. “Accident” anyone? Having Hillary as VP might make for a very short Presidency. That pair has the ethics of alleycate.

kenprice on March 5, 2008 at 11:15 AM

I’m tellin ya… MaMaObama ain’t haven’t it. She wants the throne.

tshell on March 5, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Well, I’m an Obama supporter…
ChenZhen on March 5, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Why?

JiangxiDad on March 5, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Obama will accept Veep the same way he accepted his sleazy home deal.

He’s a political animal before he is anything else.

They can rationalize anything as success.

Hillary/Obama.

(Unless his own scandals, meanwhile, derail him.)

profitsbeard on March 5, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Pelosi for VP!

infidel on March 5, 2008 at 11:19 AM

I’m tellin ya… MaMaObama ain’t haven’t it. She wants the throne.

tshell on March 5, 2008 at 11:16 AM

She hasn’t come this far, this close, to just be thought of as “the VP’s wife”. You can bet she’s telling B.O. right about now, don’t even THINK about going there. She ain’t settling for the Bronze. She wants THE GOLD!

pilamaye on March 5, 2008 at 11:20 AM

we all get to witness to the Greatest Democratic $hit-Slinging-Festival Evah! – Nate

Spit iced coffee on the screen over that one, Dude.

Alden Pyle on March 5, 2008 at 11:22 AM

This could get insane. She has to constantly deal with a dog in heat for a husband and now considering to take on a charismatic black man who out shines her in every way. Poor Hillary will be relegated to “Mommie Dearest.”

volsense on March 5, 2008 at 11:22 AM

pilamaye on March 5, 2008 at 11:20 AM

With 8 years of VP under his belt, he could well have the Presidency and still be a young man. I think you are dead wrong. And I think his prideful grasping wife will see that clearly.

JiangxiDad on March 5, 2008 at 11:22 AM

What may happen in the Democrat’s Convention reminds me of the climax with those angry tigers in “Little Black Sambo”:

“And the Tigers were very, very angry, but still they would not let go of each other’s tails. And they were so angry, that they ran round the tree, trying to eat each other up, and they ran faster and faster, till they were whirling round so fast that you couldn’t see their legs at all.

And they still ran faster and faster and faster, till they all just melted away, and there was nothing left but a great big pool of melted butter or “ghi,” as it is called in India, round the foot of the tree.”

Oops – is it not PC to mention “Little Black Sambo”?

Me bad! ;-)

TexasJew on March 5, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Why?

-JiangxiDad on March 5, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Well, you could start here I suppose, but mostly it was his position on the Iraq war.

ChenZhen on March 5, 2008 at 11:23 AM

We need a daily Tony “Ratso-Rizo” Rezko blog from the trial.

moxie_neanderthal on March 5, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Here is what we’ll be seeing from Osama-bama and Obama-mama in the next few weeks: The Clinton Scandals from A to Z.

Alden Pyle on March 5, 2008 at 11:24 AM

“…But if she wants to make issues like ethics and disclosure and law firms and real estate deals and all that sort of stuff issues, I don’t know why they’d want to go there.”

Because the girls and guys at Hillaryland really believe it was just a VRWC, you know?

Connie on March 5, 2008 at 11:24 AM

ChenZhen on March 5, 2008 at 11:23 AM

I’ll stipulate that you disagree with all or most of Bush’s decisions.
You think BO is the most qualified and best equipped to carry out your agenda? That is kind of hard to believe. Many of us on the right are “stuck” with McCain. But you actually want Obama personally?

JiangxiDad on March 5, 2008 at 11:28 AM

This will be the DEM ticket. I don’t think the Repubs are in trouble at this very moment, but by NOV -

oh yeah.

stenwin77 on March 5, 2008 at 11:29 AM

An Obama/Hillary ticket would either be unbeatable or dead in the water. Nothing in between.

AbaddonsReign on March 5, 2008 at 11:31 AM

It doesn’t matter who either of them *want* as a running mate, or even whether or not either of them wants to be in the second spot on the ticket.

The dynamic of this race has taken it out of their hands.

Neither of them can win outright. The superdelegates are going to decide this, and the deal they’re going to cut is for both of them to be on the ticket; popular vote winner on top.

Me, I’m still very much rooting for Obama to come out on the top of the ticket. Obamamania by November’s probably going to look just about as dated and silly as the Macarena, and the more this guy is examined and held to mortal standards, the more he’s just a churlish little empty suit.

Typhoon on March 5, 2008 at 11:33 AM

JiangxiDad on March 5, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Registration was left open too long.

Connie on March 5, 2008 at 11:34 AM

JiangxiDad on March 5, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Al Gore disagrees. Where did the veep slot get him?

She’ll go back to the prestige of being a U.S. Senator before she plays second fiddle to the Messiah. She can take pot shots at him from there. As VP her hands are tied.

If she loses, Hill will run again. The VP slot to Obambi isn’t exactly a good launch point. Ask Mondale what happens when your president is a total disaster.

fogw on March 5, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I’ll stipulate that you disagree with all or most of Bush’s decisions.

-JiangxiDad on March 5, 2008 at 11:28 AM

I’m certainly a lot more excited about him that I ever was about Kerry. In fact, I felt “stuck” with Kerry, so I know how you feel. So, yea. I want him in there. He’s smart, he’s fresh, he can inspire, and for the most part, I agree with him on the issues (as I outlined in my blog).

ChenZhen on March 5, 2008 at 11:37 AM

fogw on March 5, 2008 at 11:34 AM

If she were younger, I’d agree with you. But this would be a repudiation of the Clintons as party leaders. She would not recover.

JiangxiDad on March 5, 2008 at 11:37 AM

fogw on March 5, 2008 at 11:34 AM

There is more than one way to get into the WH. Google “Clinton Body Count”. I think she’d take it in a (pardon pun) “heartbeat” — to be just ONE heartbeat from the Presidency.

stenwin77 on March 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Typhoon on March 5, 2008 at 11:33 AM

I hope you don’t want to change people’s hope in the change that Obama will bring. Without hope for hope’s sake, and the change of the change rhetoric, then young leftists can only hope that they have clean underwear so they can change them every day.

p40tiger on March 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM

ChenZhen on March 5, 2008 at 11:37 AM

I read your immigration stuff. Sounds like McCain is your man. Do you understand that numerically the majority of Americans do not find him inspiring or qualified or fresh. They find him to be the lucky recipient of guilty whites and racist blacks? Good luck with your dreams.

JiangxiDad on March 5, 2008 at 11:41 AM

She didn’t thank Rush!

ctmom on March 5, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Either way, it’s going to be LONG drawn out process.

Blah.

WayWard Fundamentalist Christian on March 5, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Rush is an idiot genius. If Republican crossovers were the margin of difference in Texas for Hillary, then shame on awesome for us.

The premise of further chaos debilitating the democrats is ridiculous shrewd. A golden opportunity to possibly finish off a great cancer in the American politics has passed, arguably resuscitating the Clintons. If she wins the nomination, she will have as good a shot as our hapless nominee, and likely the POTUS. Incalculable damage. Or Obama rolls over the Straight-Talk Express with his feelgood hopey changeyness deluge and makes even the worst damage the Hildebeest can do look like nothing.

Starlink on March 5, 2008 at 12:01 PM

FTFY

Hillary is the safer bet. Obama is a total crapshoot, its impossible to know how he’ll do, he could totally flame out and people get real sick of his hopey changiness crap, or people latch onto it and he rides a leftist style Reagan landslide, or anything in between.

doubleplusundead on March 5, 2008 at 12:09 PM

The vicious cycle of Democratic infighting is so much more intense than anything talk radio can come up with. It’s a cat fight (donkey fight?) of the highest caliber, and the type of vaccine effect that should really help the GOP.

Why get nasty with them while they are willing to scratch and kick at each other? Where’s the popcorn?

Hening on March 5, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Starlink on March 5, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Agreed. You don’t give support to any natural enemies since you will ultimately have to face the winner.

Hening on March 5, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Hillary as the VP

Alden Pyle on March 5, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Obama/Clinton ticket is their only chance. Clinton/Obama isn’t feasible and not because Obama wouldn’t go along. He would, I think. It’s just that Clinton would have no legitimacy as a candidate in the public opinion.

How can she talk about integrity or politicians listening to the will of people or what have you? How can he look like anything other than a pussy? “I had an edge over her and I surrendered. But with Osama, it will be different.” I mean, the shit that works on other people doesn’t work on me so I don’t assume anything anymore and I don’t try to make predictions. But I just think it’s a bad situation for the Dems objectively, personal egos aside.

On the other hand, I believe Obama/Clinton ticket would be extremely strong. And the only obstacle to that is her long time dream to be President. Well, she’s gonna have to take the next best thing, or the Democratic establishment will have to tell her that she’ll be destroyed for the sake of the party.

If they continue this crap until the convention in August, they’ll surely lose. I’d take McCain over them so I’m not gonna cry. But I am not partisan, and I think it’s a fascinating plot that we are witnessing. I’ll be extremely impressed if they agree on this. I don’t see what other choice they have but yet it does require some personal courage and sacrifices on both ends.

freevillage on March 5, 2008 at 12:19 PM

How about Clinton/Pelosi…*shudder*

JetBoy on March 5, 2008 at 12:31 PM

As much as I can’t wait to see the Clintons walk off into the sunset (in opposite directions most likely), Obama and his wife scare the sh*t out of me. We need more time to tear him apart from all sides.

ctmom on March 5, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Whatever happened to the Gore/Obama ’08 hoopla?

Is there a remote chance that Gore can be drafted at the convention to break a deadlock? He, thus, serves as the selfless white knight saving his party and wreaks his cold dish of revenge for having lost in 2000. Obama earns his creds and experience in the second slot in order to be groomed for a later run as president. And both Gore and Obama get to destroy the Clinton machine, which has undermined both.

onlineanalyst on March 5, 2008 at 12:37 PM

The more I think about it, the more I think what Shillary is doing here is sending a fear-mongering message to B.O., telling him she is invincible, she is the Chosen One, she is destined to return to the White House, and he would be better off being her running mate than having him suffer the pain and humiliation of having her step all over him on her way to Glory.

Only problem with that is that she fails to understand that she lost 11 previous primaries before last night and she can try and pretend they never happened until her face turns blue and it ain’t going to happen. She also forgets that she still is behind B.O. in delegates and even if this thing goes all the way to the convention, it is looking more and more that her antics as well as those of Bubba Billy’s are leaving a bad taste in the mouths of the superdelegates and they could turn against her in the end.

Bottomline is that last night changes little. She is still behind, she is still lacking delegates, she is still losing support.

She is just delaying the inevitable. If she were smart, she would just wait until after Pennsylvania, see what the numbers say, and if it still looks like all this is a lost cause, then graciously step out of the race and save face, instead of being royally embarrassed and left standing in B.O.’s dust.

pilamaye on March 5, 2008 at 12:45 PM

The events of the moment have led each candidate to where they are at now. Each thinks they can win the nomination and each has recent proof reinforcing this belief. Because of this, there is no pull to join together and see that a Hillary/Obama ticket will crush anything the Republicans can muster in the general election. If Hillary had won on Tsunami Tuesday, I predicted that this is what they would have done. Reach out to Obama and seal the ticket right then and there and go Republican hunting – the guaranteed political lock of ‘forever’.
Now, however, they will fight tooth and nail to the convention. At the convention the Super Delegates could take this thing either way. When that happens, enough Obama or Hillary supporters will be ticked off to either not show up on election day or cross over and vote for McCain – it won’t take that many in most key states as we saw in the last election. Hence you won’t see McCain becoming a born again Conservative any time soon in this race.
/ready to take my lumps…now

Simonsez on March 5, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Registration was left open too long.

Connie on March 5, 2008 at 11:34 AM

They should have closed it right after we got in.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on March 5, 2008 at 12:48 PM

doubleplusundead on March 5, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Very true. The Obama campaign has experienced waves and surges of momentum. And it doesn’t seem clear to me why he has surged when he has.

darii on March 5, 2008 at 12:53 PM

How about Clinton/Pelosi…*shudder*

JetBoy on March 5, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Why scare yourself. There’s no chance that a woman with a 50% negative would saddle herself with one of the leaders of a Congress with an 11% approval rating.

darii on March 5, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Registration was left open too long.

Connie on March 5, 2008 at 11:34 AM

You can always go to a Dubbya rally. Always the best screening there.

freevillage on March 5, 2008 at 12:56 PM

pilamaye on March 5, 2008 at 11:20 AM

JiangxiDad on March 5, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Damn right she will. Who here thinks Lynn Cheney has a bad life right now?

funky chicken on March 5, 2008 at 1:10 PM

/ready to take my lumps…now

Simonsez on March 5, 2008 at 12:46 PM

I agree with you, as long as Obama gets nasty per this (terrible) advice (that I hope he takes).

Any why the hell should McCain try to become a “born again conservative?” All the “pure conservatives” have screamed loud and long that there is NOTHING ON EARTH he could do to make them consider voting for him. Why keep trying to court somebody who screams loudly and proudly that they hate you?

funky chicken on March 5, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Hey, McCain tried to make us his bitch. Turnabout is fair play. Let him bend over and see how it feels. He might like it.

JiangxiDad on March 5, 2008 at 1:33 PM

He has to lead the ticket, that way their entrance song in Colorado could be Stevie Wonder’s “Ebony & Ivory”.

Alden Pyle on March 5, 2008 at 1:44 PM

The next 7 weeks are going to be like watching survivor every night of the week, with no reruns.

swami on March 5, 2008 at 1:45 PM

I don’t know for sure about Obama or Romney, but Bill Gates and Warren Buffet combined don’t have enough money to pay me to be on a ticket with either The HildaBeast or with Juan Plantation Strawberries McVano.

MB4 on March 5, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Shy Guy on March 5, 2008 at 10:52 AM

For a Shy Guy, you sure contribute morsel, after morsel of entertaining, provocative and thought-provoking comments. Always interesting to read. Best regards,

Entelechy on March 5, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Hillary will only combine the tickets, if she’s on top.

Obama will not pick her, for many valid reasons. I fully agree with the Captain, on the update.

Entelechy on March 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Hillary has already been “first lady” once, not gonna play second fiddle again.

Chakra Hammer on March 5, 2008 at 11:15 AM

She’s been Bill’s Sloppy Seconds her whole married life. She’ll take the bottom of the ticket, and they’ll call it a “co-presidency.”

Rational Thought on March 5, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Hillary will only combine the tickets, if she’s on top.

Entelechy on March 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I agree! Obama would have to chuck his mantra of “change”
if he were to invite Hillary on board.
Hillary on the other hand would see Obama as a vote-getter and she would join with anyone that would help get her elected.

whyme on March 5, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Neither will play second fiddle to the other.

labrat on March 5, 2008 at 7:35 PM