Video: Huckabye

posted at 10:34 pm on March 4, 2008 by Allahpundit

Vintage Huck: Eloquent, peppered with scripture, and replete with a backhanded slap at Romney vis-a-vis what he says about honorable campaigns being the last ones standing. If you can figure out why he’s using an Alamo analogy when he’s gone to such pains to emphasize that he and McCain aren’t enemies, let me know.

In fact, if you can’t spare five minutes, just skip the clip and read this Politico postmortem instead, which begins with an allusion to McCain dropping dead on the stump, ends with a typically paranoid Huck lament about the shadowy Republican establishment that belongs to country clubs and sends its kids to Yale via legacy admissions — and drops this tidbit in between:

While some Huckabee supporters were hoping that he might get a vice presidential nod this year, Huckabee says they should forget it. “We have been given every signal that is not going to be considered,” Huckabee said.

In fact, Huckabee has not been guaranteed even what losing candidates are often guaranteed: a speech at the party’s convention. “It would be amazing if I was disinvited there,” Huckabee said. “If this were the NCAA and the Final Four — two Democrats, two Republicans — I would be in it.”

Nothing left to do but run for Senate. See you on the trail, Huck.

Link: sevenload.com

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

peppered with scripture

I heard two references. Last I checked, that doesn’t qualify as “peppered.”

fourstringfuror on March 5, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Mallard T. Drake on March 5, 2008 at 1:13 AM

Good point.

This view is also called
the “2 Kingdom View.” It derives much support from Romans chapter 13 as well as other passages in the Bible.

ColtsFan on March 5, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Hey where is Red Pill???

He has been flooding the forum the last few days making an ass out of himself telling us how Schmuck was going to be the next POTUS.

Now, he dissappears…cant face the music like a man. Maybe he is watching The Matrix for comfort…I hope his parents dont mind.

Figures. Coward.

Roger Waters on March 5, 2008 at 1:20 AM

I’ll second that. I am a born-again Christian. I found Huckleberry’s record uninspiring and unappealing. I found his smarmy manner and his unprovoked attacks on Fred! and the other candidates distasteful.

I also found his overt scripture quotes unappealing. We are voting for a President and Commander in Chief, not a Preacher in Chief. We tried that with Jimmah and see how well it worked. I want my leaders to be devout Christians and have their faith guide their decisions. But I also want them to realize that they are in a secular position, not a pulpit.

Mallard T. Drake on March 5, 2008 at 1:13 AM

I agree with you about his record, which was my initial reason for opposing him. I cannot cite a specific instance of seeing him speak because I knew of his record first, and didn’t care to listen to his excuses after.

His supporters insinuating someone was not Christian enough if you opposed him was what turned me away permanently.

When I was in the military, you never questioned someone’s religion and never apologized for your own. Seeing mine questioned from Huckabee supporters was enough.

I don’t give a damn if your religion means you bark at the moon every Tuesday, just don’t question my religion or level of faith.

91Veteran on March 5, 2008 at 1:21 AM

May I assume that you are not familiar with the ethical problems facing Kent Hovind? Not to mention the lack of intellectual credibility to his views.

ColtsFan on March 5, 2008 at 1:07 AM

I’m fully aware of Kent Hovind and his ministry, what he teaches, his views, etcetera, and fully aware of serpents like you who try to discredit him. I knew you were a snake as soon as you asked your original question. Thanks for verifying it.

My purpose is to encourage you to look at different Apologetical angles that are available to us as believers in Jesus Christ?

Your purpose is no such thing you scoundrel! One think that I have learned in my years of ministry, if someone is doing a great work for God, someone else will accuse him of doing wrong. Get thee hence, Satan: (Matthew 4:10). Leave me alone. And don’t message me again. I don’t want your kinda help. Capiche?

apacalyps on March 5, 2008 at 1:24 AM

I’m a Serpent for raising the issue of Kent’s ethical and legal problems????? That makes me a Serpent in your eyes????

apacalyps on March 5, 2008 at 1:24 AM

I am now called “Satan” by you????

No problem.

This is the end of our discussion.

ColtsFan on March 5, 2008 at 1:28 AM

I’ll second that. I am a born-again Christian. I also found his overt scripture quotes unappealing. We are voting for a President and Commander in Chief, not a Preacher in Chief.

Mallard T. Drake on March 5, 2008 at 1:13 AM

This is so strange when I read “Christians” saying this. Do you seperate politics and faith, and if you do why? I don’t mean to be rude. I’m curious. Thanks.

apacalyps on March 5, 2008 at 1:31 AM

I’ve rarely seen so much hate on this site as I’ve witnessed tonight over one man. Regardless who we support, I thought we were better than the KosKids and the HuffPo freaks who spew hate and vitriol and work themselves into a frothing rage at the very mention of Bush, Rove, Cheney, or Iraq.

Very disappointing.

fourstringfuror on March 5, 2008 at 1:38 AM

apacalyps on March 5, 2008 at 1:31 AM

As I said in my initial post, which you didn’t quote:

The job of the President is to keep our country secure and, ideally, keep the government restrained and out of our lives. If the President is a Christian he will understand the value of freedom in our lives and his decisions will be in accordance with the understanding. He will have a humbleness of character and core principles by which he shows self-control.

But preaching from the Oval Office is not what the President is charged to do. It starts to cross the line into a theocracy as we see in the Middle East. Our country has never been about that type of leader. I have a very fine pastor who provides my spiritual leadership for me. I don’t need the President for that.

Mallard T. Drake on March 5, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Hope you like hot weather…Schmuck.

Roger Waters on March 5, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Would write a whole lot more but Roger, Sulla, 91Veteran et al have been much more clever, concise and correct about the “Other Man from Hope.”

Addios, Mike, maybe the Mexican Consulate in Little Rock can send you on a speaking tour of Venezuela. Nothing going on there. Bet you could make a lot of money there. Imagine the cheap labor there……Just Joshing. We wouldn’t want him hurt; he’s gotta testify for his Mike Vickish type sons….

Branch Rickey on March 5, 2008 at 2:19 AM

Huckabee won’t run for Senate. He will be back and will win.

adamsweb on March 5, 2008 at 2:22 AM

Huckabee won’t run for Senate. He will be back and will win.

adamsweb on March 5, 2008 at 2:22 AM

Seriously, that’s funny!

Branch Rickey on March 5, 2008 at 2:25 AM

bye!

TheSitRep on March 5, 2008 at 4:01 AM

No problem.

This is the end of our discussion.

ColtsFan on March 5, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Lucky…

sulla on March 5, 2008 at 4:47 AM

Bye, Mike.

Oh and don’t fergit to not let the door swat ya on the backside on yer way out….

Shirotayama on March 5, 2008 at 5:08 AM

The anger with Huck is not irrational. Those who are paying the most attention are the most angry. And because I’m a Christian, that makes me boiling hot angry with him. He is not a respectful man, and he does not follow the greatest commandment: Love one another as I have loved you. Naked ambition and flippant spirtuality robed in a faux piety; that is Mike Huckabee. Humility to him is a pose.

silverfox on March 5, 2008 at 5:18 AM

DLTDHYOTWO LTDHYOTWO

silverfox on March 5, 2008 at 5:20 AM

Huckabee won’t run for Senate. He will be back and will win.

adamsweb on March 5, 2008 at 2:22 AM

I can actually see this happening…if all other candidates suddenly die

jimbo2008 on March 5, 2008 at 7:03 AM

Anyone notice that even after last night, MITT ROMNEY still is in 2nd with the delegate count?

stenwin77 on March 5, 2008 at 7:34 AM

I can easily envision him standing out in the middle of some field, waving his shotgun over his head, and chorus of his faithful followers dancing in the background, while he is singing :

We’ll meet again!

Don’t know where!

Don’t know when!

But I know we’ll meet again,

Some sunny daaaaaaaaay!”

pilamaye on March 5, 2008 at 7:34 AM

apacalyps on March 5, 2008 at 1:31 AM

Speaking for myself, another Christian, I wouldn’t much appreciate Obama quoting from the Koran (I know it’s spelled with a Q). I just think he has a hard time separating a podium from the pulpit. For most Americans, this is off-putting. They go to church when they want to hear a sermon.

Besides that, Huck is very very liberal.

stenwin77 on March 5, 2008 at 8:11 AM

Colonel Travis he is not.

argos on March 5, 2008 at 9:03 AM

I will agree with some here that the level of the comments have gone way down…

EnochCain on March 5, 2008 at 9:32 AM

daryl_herbert on March 5, 2008 at 12:36 AM

A Christian doesn’t assail someone’s religion with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye. Insinutating that Mitt Romney believes that Jesus Christ and Satan are brothers is just the tip of the iceberg. That is precisely the type of pandering that gives Christians a bad name.

And for your information, I am no Jesus-hating Mormonite. I’m Roman Catholic and a devout Christian… and one who is man enough to call any clergyman (including one of my own or a “Baptist Minister running for President” a charlatan when he cheapens his faith with lies and deception.

Helen Keller could have seen through that moron Huckabee.

D2Boston on March 5, 2008 at 9:40 AM

silverfox on March 5, 2008 at 5:18 AM

You hit the nail on the head.

D2Boston on March 5, 2008 at 9:41 AM

stenwin77 on March 5, 2008 at 7:34 AM

That point wasn’t lost on me, even though Politico has Huck up by 10.

Hmmmm, let me see:
A) Pull out with purpose, putting country above self, having some sense of grace/class…

—OR—

B) Still taking all manner of pot-shots on your way out, looking like an ass…

I’ll second D2Boston, Silverfox nailed it. I will miss Huckabee like that painful zit on my back I couldn’t pick that went away!

SkinnerVic on March 5, 2008 at 10:04 AM

apacalyps on March 5, 2008 at 1:24 AM

Have I mentioned how far down this place has fallen since the last comments registration?

Did the loonies and the Leftists have a long line poised at the door just waiting to leap in here or what?

A year ago, the comments sections were full of bright, reasoned, articulate discussion. Now we’ve got people calling other posters “serpents” and “Satan.”

Jesus wept.

Professor Blather on March 5, 2008 at 10:20 AM

I will agree with some here that the level of the comments have gone way down…

EnochCain on March 5, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Yup. Like I said. It’s downright tragic.

Professor Blather on March 5, 2008 at 10:21 AM

He seems a little, er, paranoid.

funky chicken on March 5, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Professor Blather, dont’ forget about the ones calling the GOP nominee a traitor to his nation.

funky chicken on March 5, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Is there anyway to remove Iowa from the electoral process? They are INSANE. Huck and Bama? REALLY?

hanzblinx on March 5, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Huck is a religious bigot who finally, FINALLY took the hint.
No class.

Geronimo on March 5, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Professor Blather on March 5, 2008 at 10:20 AM

IMHO, Even when it was spirited, it didn’t degrade into the depths of which we have seen lately, hence my lack of posting. I lurked since “Allah in the house” days, so I was “groomed” so to speak before coming in the previous open registration to last wave of n00b. While I’m not particularly interested in an echo-chamber, the vitriolic unhinged rants of some Huckabee people in the past couple months are indicative that people need to check themselves, or be put in check.

Allah and Cap’n need to hit the eject button (more often).

SkinnerVic on March 5, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Roger Waters on March 5, 2008 at 1:20 AM

Red Pill on March 5, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Red Pill on March 5, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Off to fry squirrels in the sunset.

profitsbeard on March 5, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Thompson (accused not substantiated) abortion stances.

Govgirl on March 4, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Gotta defend teh Fred! on this. He was ENDORSED by the NATIONAL RIGHT TO LIFE and several local chapters. Thompson is Pro-life. Suckabee ruined this race for the conservatives and we are NOT going to forgive that biggoted SOB.

ihasurnominashun on March 5, 2008 at 11:24 AM

I’m saying “some” of the vitriol towards Huckabee is because he is a Christian. Make the distinction. I’m not saying all people.

apacalyps on March 5, 2008 at 1:14 AM

\
You are NO BETTER than the libbies that claim not voting for Obama means you are a racist. Your candidate was a populist identity politiker of the worst ILK. And you are just as biggoted as your candidate!

ihasurnominashun on March 5, 2008 at 11:34 AM

apacalyps on March 5, 2008 at 1:31 AM

Um…Didn’t Jesus say “render unto Ceaser what is his” or something of that Nature. We are NOT electing a Preacher in Chief and the fact that people like you think we should makes me ever more grateful to God that Huckster was seen as the loser he is by those of us with reason.

ihasurnominashun on March 5, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Huckabye is a great title for this post. I’ve mentioned on other posts that as late as last Saturday, when our local Republicans gathered, most of the delegates were for Huckabee.
I know that some in my church supported him because he is a fellow Baptist, even though he was hardly being Christlike in his campaigning.
Unless Romney makes a fight of it at the convention, I will be voting for John McCain who, although not the best candidate we could have put forward, stands head and shoulders above either Democrat running. I will take some small measure of pride in the fact that our worst can beat their best.

Doug on March 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Adios, scumbag. Behold the false prophet…as he flees.

And Huckster, you didn’t make the Final 4. ROMNEY dropped out a month earlier and STILL HAS MORE DELEGATES. HA!

bigred on March 5, 2008 at 11:49 AM

HOW VERY CHRISTIAN… wishing, perhaps even praying, for McCain’s health to fail.

….“I may be in a position like the pitcher who goes to the bullpen,” Huckabee told me. “He is not on the mound, but should something happen, he is ready to come in for relief.”

Should something happen? As in, should something happen to a 71-year-old presumptive nominee named McCain?….

bigred on March 5, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Good riddance Gomer Slackjaw and may your ultra creepy kid refrain from torturing and killing any more dogs.

Buttercup on March 5, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I think a summary of the vitriol traded back and forth in this thread can be found here. I’m glad Huck is gone as much as any other sane conservative, but lets remain civil about it.

darii on March 5, 2008 at 1:13 PM

At last our long, national Huckanightmare is over.

EyeSurgeon on March 5, 2008 at 1:19 PM

‘Bout frickin’ time.

Tzetzes on March 5, 2008 at 1:27 PM

At last our long, national Huckanightmare is over.

EyeSurgeon on March 5, 2008 at 1:19 PM

And so is the use of various “Hucka-” words.

darii on March 5, 2008 at 1:43 PM

I will say that the mormons posting here are certainly some of the most hate filled and anti-Christian posters I have seen on any conservative blog period.

That’s what happens when you join a cult..satan forms cults such as islam,atheism,new ageism and mormonism purely for the purpose of leading people away from Christ.

It is much worse when you actually think you are following Christ but instead you are following an entirely different god(a demon)who contradicts the Holy Bible,adds to scripture and leads those interested in Christ away from him.

And no, unlike what someone here said earlier mormons will not go to heaven…they will certainly burn in hell..on the day of judgment Christ will not intercede for them and will say “I do not know thee” because you do not know Christ but worship an idolotrous and false Christ..and yes mormons do think Jesus and lucifer are brothers.. so what is wrong with saying that?

I will thank the hate filled mormons here for leading people away from your cult….thank you.

SaintOlaf on March 5, 2008 at 1:57 PM

darii,

The civility left HotAir some time last fall. Don’t expect it to return.

I, too, was not a Huckabee supporter, but I respected his tenacity even when I disagreed with him vehemently. The same can’t be said of many commenters here. It’s unfortunate.

fourstringfuror on March 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM

SaintOlaf on March 5, 2008 at 1:57 PM

You must be a Baptist.

Geronimo on March 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM

You must be a CRAZY Baptist.

Geronimo on March 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Fixed it.

Geronimo on March 5, 2008 at 2:18 PM

You must be a CRAZY Baptist.

Geronimo on March 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM

And he ain’t no Saint either.

drflykilla on March 5, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Well, I think he left as a gentleman in my opinion. Sad to me becuase I would have liked to vote for him in the general election. One thing that I’ve always admired about Governor Huckabee is his gracious demeanor. It’s an old fashion notion these days to treat people with kindness and respect – and it’s very apparent that civility has left the mainstream as witnessed by some of the comments that I see on this board with what I consider to be too high of a frequency. I think it’s a bigger problem than many realize – the breakdown of civility. People have always been crude on the internet because it’s anonymous, but now I see it spilling into real world encounters.

Anyway – my thanks to Huckabee and go McCain08.

Wise Golden on March 5, 2008 at 3:19 PM

SaintOlaf on March 5, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Irony, thy name is Olaf.

I don’t dislike Huck because he’s a Christian Leader. Right up to and just past his Chuck Norris ad, I was pretty fond of the guy. Once he hit the top tier, though, his behavior took an ugly turn. the more he went in that direction, the more he reminded me of Clinton – in method, if not necessarily in ideology. In short, the character of the man turned me off; he brought on Ed Rollins, he turned Chuck Norris into a poor-us whiner, and he couldn’t stop spitting on Romney, even weeks after Romney had left the race. His attacks went beyond politics; although we heard how the other candidates hated Romney, or at least his candidacy, most of them were at least able to let go once Mitt dropped out (mission accomplished). But Huck? Still hatin’ on Mitt, and makin’ sure everyone know it.

I don’t know or care whether there’s a religion element in his dislike of Romney; it could just as easily be Mitt’s business success, since that’s what Huck couldn’t EVER shut up about. His resentment of Mitt’s wealth is not only unseemly, it’s un-Republican. Since when do we dislike job creators? Since when do we look down our noses at economic success stories?

I didn’t support Mitt for his religion, though I’m Mormon myself. I was more enthusiastic about Fred. I thought Mitt would be a fine president, but as a candidate he was uninspiring.

The anti-Mormon stuff from some of Huck’s supporters (your screed is one of the uglier examples) I find distasteful, but whatever. I don’t care who thinks I’m going to Hell, because in the end only God’s opinion matters, and I’m comfortable leaving that in His hands and striving pleasing Him rather than the likes of you. Likewise, I’m not going to guess where you’ll end up, because it’s not my call.

sulla on March 5, 2008 at 4:06 PM

The problem with Huckabee is that he didn’t read the Epistle of Saint James: “Faith without works is dead.”

He could talk all he wants about “abolishing the IRS” with the “Fair Tax” (which will never pass Congress) but he raised taxes in Arkansas. He could talk about securing the borders, but he allowed sanctuary cities in Arkansas. And what’s so pro-life about letting 700-plus murderers go free so they can kill innocent people again? Yes, he’s pro-life, but so is John McCain.

Still, we could use another pro-life Senator to confirm McCain’s judicial nominations. How about taking on Mark Pryor this year?

Steve Z on March 5, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Huck supporters are playing the religion card the same way Al Sharpton and his ilk play the race card.

I am a Christian and a Southern Baptist, just like Huckabee.

His religion is not the reason for my extreme dislike of him.

His despicable tactics…illegal push pollers, fliers blaming Fred Thompson for killing 200,000 babies, floating crosses in ads that he claims aren’t there, claiming to be strong on immigration and taxes with a horrendously weak record, and allowing 12 MURDERERS and more than 1,000 convicts to walk free…. are the reason I don’t like him.

bigred on March 5, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Envy, thy name was Huck. Huckabee ran his campaign like an insecure 8th grader would against a “popular” opponent, rallying those who feel snubbed for whatever reason against those whom he felt received too many breaks in life — be it through looks, wealth, or whatever.

He ran like the heavy-set kid who made the class chuckle, but always watched the cheerleaders go to prom with the Mitt’s of the world.

It is sad that religion had to be made the weapon in a battle based on envy and need for attention and vindication, but it was and that has led to the divisive feelings about the man whose primary goal it was to divide.

bobthepeeler on March 5, 2008 at 9:23 PM

Ridiculous as Huckabee seems I still think he’s dangerous. Not so much because he’s credible, but because he very well could divide conservatism through polarizing religious propaganda. If he really intends to hang around uniting Christians under his uniquely abrasive political banner then he’s really going to make a mess of the Republican party and conservatism. Am I crazy on this? I know Huck is…

blankminde on March 5, 2008 at 9:47 PM

…because he very well could divide conservatism through polarizing religious propaganda.

blankminde on March 5, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Which is precisely the reason I think a lot of people were rubbed the wrong way with his shtick/tactics/screed, including myself. The sentiment of those ever so pleased about his passing and his supporters, as evidenced by this post, demonstrates such polarization.

SkinnerVic on March 5, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Good riddance Huckster. *

*Said by a politically conservative prolife Christian, in case any Huckbots assume I’m a liberal atheist.

aikidoka on March 6, 2008 at 12:03 AM

aikidoka on March 6, 2008 at 12:03 AM

It is good to see a fellow Hoosier at HotAir…

ColtsFan on March 6, 2008 at 12:14 AM

I’m up in Northwest Indiana, do we still count as Hoosiers?

;-)

aikidoka on March 6, 2008 at 12:41 AM

I’m up in Northwest Indiana, do we still count as Hoosiers?

;-)

aikidoka on March 6, 2008 at 12:41 AM

Haha.

I live in Chicago, but I am originally from Indy.

You have an interesting blog…

ColtsFan on March 6, 2008 at 12:42 AM

Ah Chicago, Mayor Daley’s fiefdom ;)

Thanks, that’s much better than what a particular twit’s been saying about my blog for awhile now. haha

I wonder if he’s noticed what I do to his email address and link to his blog when he invariably acts like a jackass on my blog.

aikidoka on March 6, 2008 at 12:51 AM

Your Apologetical interest lie where???

ColtsFan on March 6, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Not sure I understand the question. I think apologetics are important and that more Christians should use their intellect and understand the evidence and data supporting the faith. I also hate the “blind” faith crutch that too many use.

aikidoka on March 6, 2008 at 8:09 AM

For all of the Huck-haters who made up their own explanations for what motivated Huckabee to keep going…

You were wrong.

Huck was always in it to be President.
Not Vice-President.
Not Senator.

Read this.

Red Pill on March 7, 2008 at 10:09 PM

For those of you who have seen the moving “Facing the Giants”, I personally believe we are at the same point in the Presidential race as the Eagles were after the first playoff game.

Red Pill on March 7, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Townhall.com: Thank You, Mr. Huckabee

The only part he gets wrong is the part about Huckabee for VP.

Michael Dale Huckabee will be the 44th President of the United States.
(And he will glorify the Living God by doing so)

Watch. And. See.

Mike majored in miracles…

Red Pill on March 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM