Puppy video a fake?

posted at 12:39 pm on March 4, 2008 by Allahpundit

Not the video, of course, but the puppy itself. Ace says yes; I say maybe. Compare and contrast the screencaps to the magically realistic fake sleeping dog. Do we have our pup?

The one in the video seems not quite so … plush, but exposure to the elements in Iraq would do that to a toy, I guess. And the similarity of the markings is quite a coincidence.

Update: And maybe nothing more than a coincidence. Commenter “Limerick” says he has one of those fake dogs at home and the underside of it is completely flat. You can’t change its posture.

puppy1.jpg

puppy2.jpg

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Article 93 or 99, it doesn’t matter.

Uncle Sam has a “get in jail free” card: Article 134. It’s what The Man uses to get around double jeopardy, or if he wants to screw with you…

darkpixel on March 4, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Gallows humor is fine, although it may be misunderstood by those not in the same circumstances. As a retired police officer, I know a lot of my humor is not well received by friends and family that are not law enforcement. However, I have never understood the humor in killing an animal for no reason. We used to have officers who would rush to every “vicious animal” call, because they really wanted to shoot something. Not to protect the citizens, but to kill something.

But the bigger issue here is not that the dog was killed, or that the Iraqis will think the soldiers will kill one of their children next (as several have pointed out, Muslims don’t think much of dogs). What it will do, as is obvious by the reactions of this thread, will be to portray the Marines in a very bad light in THIS country and our Western allies who love animals. It will also give ammunition to those who think our war in Iraq is wrong and give them something else to demonize our warriors over there.

And just like a cop who hits a suspect with a flashlight and it gets caught on tape…there may be a valid reason why it was done, but it never looks good. This was something that should never had been taped, because it make all our soldiers and Marines look bad over here. It was stupid.

415woman on March 4, 2008 at 6:32 PM

What I find astounding is the cognitive disconnect between opinions here on this video (if it is indeed real) and opinions voiced about those defective fuckwads at the Cali zoo who harrassed a tiger in an insecure pit and got killed for it. We heard that they were drunken and perhaps Muslims, and many people voiced the opinion that they were sick twisted warped demented shits who got just what they richly merited and deserved, but when the perps are US military, the apologies, justifications and equivocations fall all over one another.

In the Cali case, I feel that we should protect the animals from the zoo patrons as well as vice-versa; we’ve already taken their freedom away for our viewing pleasure, so the very least we can do is protect them from sadistic thugs. In the vid case, if the guy is indeed tossing a live puppy to its death, he has publicly besmirched the honor, decency and nobility of his service branch, and perhaps an Undesirable or Bad Conduct discharge would be in order. It is a lead-pipe cinch that many of his fellows will consider him to have faulty brain wiring and not want to serve beside him after this, and he might not even be safe around them on a battlefield – not to mention the fact that they might not feel safe around HIM…

Salamantis on March 4, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Oh, and Zett, thanks for the shout out earlier…I don’t think I’ve had any more luck than you have on “schooling” the heartless.

tickleddragon on March 4, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Ah, so now we’re “heartless”…

Um, I don’t beleive I need edumacating from the likes of you… so get off your Moral High Horse…

And once again, I’ll ask… if this was a RAT he threw off the cliff, would we even be having this discussion? Even if it was on Youtube?

Romeo13 on March 4, 2008 at 6:43 PM

This thing happened a couple months ago, and was just now put on youtube.
Think about all the people in this Marines command who saw this video before it hit Youtube. His squad, platoon, and company, thats about 200+ people. How many copies were made of the original? Was it put on a share drive? How many Staff NCO’s and Officers saw this thing and laughed or cringed. None of them saw any need to “investigate” or “punish” this Marine. Why all the hype now? Because civilians saw it and complained? The video was funny, I get the humor… the puppy was dead, get over it.

m1a1usmc on March 4, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Romeo13 on March 4, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Yes, yes you are heartless, if your comments today on this are any indication. And as to the comment I made to Zetterson…it was an ABC conversation. You know the rest.
Hysterical, defensive git. You really act like someone who is getting defensive out of feelings of guilt. It would be interesting now to know those things that you did in your service you can’t talk about. Something like this puppy incident, I imagine.

And btw, you mentioned eating animals earlier… Completely irrelevent to the conversation, since these bastards weren’t killing it to eat it.

tickleddragon on March 4, 2008 at 6:52 PM

And if it were a rat, I may not react in quite the same way, but I’d still be disgusted at their attitude while doing the act, and being vile enough to video and post it.

I’d be as disgusted no matter what animal they tossed over the edge. It’s senseless and vile.

tickleddragon on March 4, 2008 at 6:54 PM

m1a1usmc on March 4, 2008 at 6:47 PM

How do you know who saw it?

tickleddragon on March 4, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Anyway…I’m done with this. Gotta go out for the night, so no need to chide/insult/argue with me any longer.

Good night, All!

tickleddragon on March 4, 2008 at 6:55 PM

I think what Romeo13 is trying to say is that rats are exactly like dogs.

Jim Treacher on March 4, 2008 at 7:00 PM

It’s simply amazing that since this has been posted, whether the video is real or not, one can go to Yahoo or Google and search on Motari and web site after web site comes up pertaining to this incident – with this guy’s personal information, his parents personal information, etc. etc. and people responding in these web sites with the opinions being mainly against the guy.

This is a www lynch mob.

This guy is going to have some serious problems throughout his entire life if he doesn’t get his name cleared and cleared loudly.

Otherwise, it’s not going to be too difficult for any company with an HR department to go to Yahoo or Google and type in Motari and bring up the same information. And, literally, everyone who’s seen the articles on this knows his and his family’s home and work addresses.

His Marine Corp career may be the least of his worries without legally changing his name, some major facial reconstruction and moving far, far away.

BowHuntingTexas on March 4, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Same thing that happened to Beauchamp. Which is worse, lying about killing a dog or actually killing a dog?

Jim Treacher on March 4, 2008 at 8:06 PM

BowHuntingTexas on March 4, 2008 at 8:03 PM

The 3 Duke lacrosse players will also be famous in the way you describe, except they’ll be rich,…and innocent. Right now, Motari is faced with trying to prove a negative to deal with the short term fall out, if he is innocent, but long term,..he’ll always be famous. That must be what he wanted since he performed on camera. Education is expensive, no matter how you get it, and I imagine his career potential in any animal related fields may be extremely limited.

a capella on March 4, 2008 at 8:18 PM

a capella on March 4, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Yup. If this guy wanted his 15 minutes of fame or American Idle (sp intentional) popularity, he got it, and without the fortune. In fact, he potentially gets a lifetime of serious misery.

BowHuntingTexas on March 4, 2008 at 8:46 PM

blink on March 4, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Have you seen “Cops” or “Tax Cab Confessions” or “Cheaters”? Not to mention “American Idle” or “Jackass” or some of the “Don’t Taze Me Bro” You Tube videos?

Did you know that for “Cops” or “Tax Cab Confessions” or “Cheaters” the participants have to sign release forms?

It’s pretty easy for someone with a video camera to film themselves doing something good or bad and post it on the internet and achieve almost instant fame. And it’s usually for doing something untoward.

You don’t think a lot of people today want to become famous no matter how low the bar is set?

Don’t kid me bro.

BowHuntingTexas on March 4, 2008 at 9:02 PM

I think the puppy was dead already if you look at the picture the eyes aren’t open. A puppy would have shiny eyes this puppy doesn’t. Whether it is a fake puppy or not this one isn’t alive no matter what one does. It’s very sad either way you look at it that it would make the news.

xler8bmw on March 4, 2008 at 9:21 PM

His family is getting death threats, according to the caller (his sister – and the caller DOES sound sincere) on KIRO.

capitalist piglet on March 4, 2008 at 3:43 PM

This is madness. All this for a dog??? Should his and his family’s lives be destroyed for a dog? Yeah it was a stupid thing, but for goodness sake this guy was willing to spill his blood for his country. He made a mistake. Let’s not lynch him and his loved ones for it.

bojack on March 4, 2008 at 9:48 PM

So was Beauchamp. Does that excuse what he did? I agree that the death threats and other general hysteria are out of hand, but let’s hope the Marines are handling this pronto.

Jim Treacher on March 4, 2008 at 10:23 PM

bojack on March 4, 2008 at 9:48 PM

His punishment is out of our hands. I’m not particularly interested in seeing him harshly punished by the Marine command, and I suspect outrage from the general public will subside fairly quickly. Short attention span, ya know. But, Google will haunt him forever. Truthfully, I wasn’t as upset with him as I was with the HA posters who kept trying to excuse his actions. He did a stupid, cruel thing and he’ll pay the price, but some of the comments made on this thread by military people didn’t do a lot for my image of our military guys. Hopefully, it may have been embellished a bit.

a capella on March 4, 2008 at 10:24 PM

a capella on March 4, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Exactly. I’m hoping this was a very bad joke – although from what I see with my own eyes it doesn’t look like it for now. The Corp will deal with it.

And regardless of what I and others think or what the truth is, until some very convincing evidence exonerates the guy he’s got a lot of stuff popping up about this incident when his name is typed into Yahoo or Google.

And that will follow him around from now on.

BowHuntingTexas on March 4, 2008 at 10:38 PM

tickleddragon on March 4, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Personal attacks aside… no… wait… you attacked me… soo..

F YOU! I’d rather be considered heartless by the likes of you, than CLUELESS by those I consider my peers.

ITS A DOG!!!! Its not a person… its not a MURDER… ITS AN ANIMAL!

Please, go feel free to join the ALF…

I cast no judgement on your morals, actions, intentions, or self… tell me with your moral superiority, why you do that to me?

Real Christian of you….

and the things I mentioned about my military experience had a lot more… consequence… than throwing what may be an already dead dog off a ledge… I have no qualms about ANIMALS I’ve killed… but you, with your limited intellect probably can’t comprehend the difference.

But that OK… people like me will still continue to do whats necesary to let you have the freedom of speech to make an A$$ out of yourself.

I’m done…. wasteing time with people who are so wrapped up in their little cultural bubble, that they can’t comprehend anything different…

Romeo13 on March 4, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Good night, All!

tickleddragon on March 4, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Attack than leave… nice…

I may be heartless, but I’m not a coward…

done… so… done…

Romeo13 on March 4, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Jim Treacher on March 4, 2008 at 10:23 PM

The answer to your question is no, serving does not excuse bad behavior, but there’s a right way to handle these things and there’s a wrong way. Calling for his head and tormenting his family as some out there seem to be doing is the wrong way.

bojack on March 4, 2008 at 11:50 PM

If the left had made it up no one would have believed it.

All you people justifying this moron’s cruelty, please realize that sometimes there are no second chances and an overwhelming price to pay for being stupid beyond measure.

Typhoon on March 5, 2008 at 12:05 AM

Romeo13 on March 4, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Not a coward, you hateful git…I have a life. And I was out to live it.

I’ve owned the fact that you can’t stand me…and I now can’t stand you either.

Let’s call it a day, and ignore each other from now on. K? Ciao.

tickleddragon on March 5, 2008 at 12:40 AM

The fact is that the video could be true – there are crap-heads everywhere, and much as I would like to say otherwise, I’ve served enough time in the military to know for a fact that not every Marine or Soldier is a hero.

RustMouse on March 5, 2008 at 1:32 AM

I work in Hollywood (the industry not the town) and I have watched this video a billion times and done sound mixes on a hundred others. I am 100% positive that the dog is already dead.
Even taking into account the compressed nature of internet video, the sound simply defies laws of physics. The Doppler effect on the dog noises are completely absent. The noises seem to get LOUDER as they get further away. It sounds like a fake to these ears.
Sound is the most powerful part of video believe it or not. When I was learning how to sound design in school they showed us videos of people hitting inanimate objects with natural/no sound and another where the inanimate objects are making human nosies. Your reaction to the two, despite knowing what you are watching is very different.
In this case, you sync of some dog yelps and the image is ‘truth’ to people not looking at it critically.

Now, I think people posting his info on the net is irresponsible. The military should handle this themselves not the mob.
I do however, think that even if the dog is dead as I already believe it is, it still shows a shocking disregard for life and the passing of life. I’m not sure how great it is to have a soldier who thinks flinging dead bodies into ravines while laughing it up with his buddies for S n’ G’s on video tape still serving.

MannyT-vA on March 5, 2008 at 6:37 AM

Sounds like we agree.

Jim Treacher on March 5, 2008 at 6:40 AM

I’m coming to this late, so I don’t know how the original footage went public. But the video is currently hosted by Petslover2008. He obviously has an agenda and I can’t help but think it plays into this somehow:

This channel provides a real evidence that U.S troops is the worst evil in the history. God please destroys the evil and let yours’ creatures live peacefully in Iraq.

Redhead Infidel on March 5, 2008 at 9:23 AM

I don’t know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but the only place that this video will do propaganda damage is on this side of the pond. Dogs are considered ‘unclean’ in islam, and this *might* actually generate sympathy for the our troops over there…

Moonbat_Hunter on March 5, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Moonbat_Hunter on March 5, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Pointed out ad nauseum, and totally irrevelant. Islamic teachings have nothing to do with it. The damage is being done to our troops’ image because it offends Western culture and values. However, as pointed out above, it can also be used by the jihadists to justify their claims of brutality against them by our guys. For instance, remember the beheadings of our captured guys which the terrorists justified because of the rape/murder of the 14 year old Iraqi girl and her family by 4 or 5 of our rogue troops? That’s the way the jihadis play this kind of stuff. They will twist it to best suit their propaganda needs.

a capella on March 5, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Regardless of whether this is fake or not, They are IDIOTS for doing such a thing. They’re people on the left that are looking for ways to demonize are troops and to pull such a stupid and sadistic prank, video it, and then post it on the internet, just adds fuel to the left and their image of our military.
I think they deserve to be punished, not only for the potential creulty and stupidity of their actions but for defaming the character of the majority of our men and women who are serving our country honorably in this war.

gboy63 on March 5, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Right. The next time they behead someone, they can simply exclaim, “our recent beheadings are justified because they killed that puppy.”

blink on March 5, 2008 at 11:14 AM

No, they will say, “We did this because the Americans are brutal, cruel soldiers who did(fill in the blank) to us and we are just exacting revenge. We offer evidence of their cruelty with this video which shows them killing defenseless puppies for sport. If they do this to puppies, they will do worse to our women and children.Therefore our acts are justified.”

a capella on March 5, 2008 at 11:35 AM

I agree the video is damaging, but not for this reason.

blink on March 5, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Yes, I agree with you. But, my comments were in response to the oft repeated references that the Islamic atitude towards dogs somehow mitigated the damage. I have no doubt they will try to use it, but that is a side issue. I also think comments such as,”It’s just a F’n dog!” by HA posters who claim to be military don’t help the negative image, but enhance it.

a capella on March 5, 2008 at 12:40 PM