Video: The puppy clip; Update: Theories?

posted at 9:52 pm on March 3, 2008 by Allahpundit

So many tips about this today. I held out as long as I could.

I think it’s dead. Check that: I hope it’s dead.

Update: The other side.

Update: Getting lots of e-mails about the fact that puppy isn’t struggling and how the yelp when it’s thrown doesn’t seem to trail away. Here’s one from reader David V.:

The sounds are all wrong in that clip of the “puppy throwing.”

I’ve been involved with dogs since I was 12, breeding and training, and there is no way the sounds in that Youtube video were coming from a real puppy. If you actually hurled a puppy by the scruff of its neck, the first sound you would hear would be a loud scream as it was launched, because you would have very nearly torn its neck off. Notice, though, the puppy is completely silent as it is thrown. The ridiculous yelping noises don’t start until after the pup is airborne.

That’s your second problem, because just as a human needs to take repeated breaths to keep yelling, a dog must be breathing in order to yelp. (Imagine trying to scream while spinning head-over-heels in the air.) The puppy would have gone completely stiff as it flew, tensing up and spreading its legs to try to cushion the fall. Definitely no gasping for breath and yelping.

Final problem – there is no way that a crap camera like the one used to shoot that video would be able to pick up an airborne puppy’s faint yelping from dozens of yards away, yet the “yelping” barely decreases in volume during the puppy’s flight.

I don’t know what was thrown – probably a dead puppy – but I am absolutely certain that there is no way on earth the noises in the video were made by the puppy we see there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

wow.why the hell would you post this post?

HunnyWaggin on March 4, 2008 at 7:50 AM

Exactly. I said in this tread last night that the puppy vid had no reason to be promoted. Some argued that…so hey, let’s show more atrocities!

Just making a point…

JetBoy on March 4, 2008 at 7:59 AM

maybe im missing something. i dont “get the point”. Posting bad videos to show how its wrong to post bad videos?. OK, lets just “agree to disagree”.

HunnyWaggin on March 4, 2008 at 8:04 AM

Youtube pulled the video. Can’t see it anymore.

GISAP on March 4, 2008 at 8:10 AM

Here you go:

nosliwelyk on March 4, 2008 at 8:12 AM

In all honesy, where has this video been????

Seven Percent Solution on March 4, 2008 at 1:11 AM

Thank you. I needed that.

Rod on March 4, 2008 at 8:19 AM

I’m surprised at the number of people here who profess to know what a thrown puppy sounds like.

James on March 4, 2008 at 8:23 AM

True…the “yelping” is probably one of the guys joking around while the pup is thrown. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t a live pup.

But again, when you hold a puppy, or a kitten for that matter, by the nape of it’s neck…much the way it’s mother would pick it up, the legs go limp, and there is usually no struggle. It kinda puts the young animal in a catatonic, relaxed state.

JetBoy on March 4, 2008 at 8:29 AM

What I don’t understand is that the thing, whatever it is, is positioned the way it is before it is thrown. A dead dog wouldn’t be tensed up like that, right?

amkun on March 4, 2008 at 8:39 AM

1) Doesn’t it seem like the yelping ends way before the dog hits the ground?
2) Why does their seemingly cheap camera record sounds from so far away?

IreneFingIrene on March 4, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Why post this sshhiitt ? Same reason AP posts that Hitchens crap.. anti-Christian material and dead puppies INSPIRE lots of hits.. it’s called anything for ratings ..if it bleeds it leads..you get the idea .. look at the hit count..am I wrong ??

redrock on March 4, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Theory:

The puppy is dead. It’s stiff…it’s not moving. The ‘yelp’ is just not right.

So….Good Morning America bought it hook, line, and sinker, and Scott Beauchamp could not be reached for comment.

DngrMse on March 4, 2008 at 8:54 AM

A dead dog wouldn’t be tensed up like that, right?

amkun on March 4, 2008 at 8:39 AM

It would if it had been dead for a bit. Rigor mortis?

Talon on March 4, 2008 at 8:56 AM

Woof

Shy Guy on March 4, 2008 at 9:22 AM

It would if it had been dead for a bit. Rigor mortis?

Talon on March 4, 2008 at 8:56 AM

Just checked WikiAnswers. You’re right. It occurs 3 hours after death and maximizes at 12 hours, but relaxes after 72. I knew I was missing something, thanks.

*fails high school biology*

amkun on March 4, 2008 at 9:30 AM

redrock on March 4, 2008 at 8:51 AM

You’re right. We should just ignore a video that’s making the rounds of the liberal blogs instead of confronting it and criticizing the behavior shown in it.

The conservative Head/Sand Coalition really has some zing, don’t you think?

Slublog on March 4, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Whether the pup is alive or dead is irrelevant. These guys need to have some “office hours” for damaging the reputation of the Marine Corps as a whole. I believe “conduct unbecoming a Marine” is enforceable in the USMC.

Asshats, every one of them. I think I’d prefer they be given the old “Big Chicken Dinner” (BCD = Bad Conduct Discharge) and let them go back into the civilian world.

Wino on March 4, 2008 at 9:33 AM

I don’tknow anything about throwing puppies, but the audio doesn’t sound obviously wrong to me. A dog’s bark is apiercing sound. It travels well and in this case it’s travling away from the hard clif surface at the soldiers’ backs, which is of course where the mic on the camcorder is.

The sound also sounds like genuine puppy squeel to me.

The real question is whether anyone should care about a little harmless puppy tossing in a battlezone. I think we should be more concerned with “juan” who pops into the frame there. What’s he doing in our nation’s uniform?

Hee Haw Damien on March 4, 2008 at 9:42 AM

Head in the sand ?? wow .. what does that have to do with promoting bullcrap videos, probably fake at that ..
Zing?? nice word..

redrock on March 4, 2008 at 9:42 AM

I agree with HunnyWagon – don’t see why this should be posted here.

Think_b4_speaking on March 4, 2008 at 9:46 AM

I’d like to see what the hell happened before this, and after.

Where is that video?

Frickin idiots for pulling this nonsense.

benrand on March 4, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Another moral crime committed by the criminal military of the Neocon American Corporation, and another flock of butt-flies coming in to defend their actions. You neocon zionists truly disgust me.

kafiiri on March 4, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Dude. What the hell?

NickJ on March 4, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Hee Haw Damien on March 4, 2008 at 9:42 AM

I hope you’re joking.

Slublog on March 4, 2008 at 9:54 AM

The video is gone. I guess I lucked out.

frankj on March 4, 2008 at 9:56 AM

kafiiri on March 4, 2008 at 9:51 AM

wow. excellent satire. I mean, even catches the moonbat illiteracy too, or at least the inability to read 2.5 pages of comments before spewing nonsense.

Well done!

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 9:56 AM

If you notice before he throws he puppy he puts it behind his back away from the camera and the camera pans away a bit when he does this. It was a movie stun and not a real puppy thrown in my opinion after looking at it.

JeffinSac on March 4, 2008 at 9:57 AM

I hope you’re joking.

Slublog on March 4, 2008 at 9:54 AM

On a thread like this, it’s better for the blood pressure to assume that.

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 9:59 AM

GMA, (CBS? ABC?), will likely have it up. LiveLeak might too.

DngrMse on March 4, 2008 at 10:00 AM

kafiiri on March 4, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Hypocrite. Anti-semite. What credibility do you have after a comment like that?

budorob on March 4, 2008 at 10:05 AM

While I appreciate the new update, it makes me sad that this video is now bumped to the top of the page, and in the slower-declining left column of HotAir. I would rather soon forget this happened.

Ferris on March 4, 2008 at 10:05 AM

JeffinSac on March 4, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Thanks MTV! Thanks Jackass! What a blessing you have been to the culture.

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 10:06 AM

nosliwelyk on March 4, 2008 at 8:12 AM

nos’ youtube link still works, but probably not for long…

In case it’s removed…although I hate promoting this thing…it’s on GLUMBERT

JetBoy on March 4, 2008 at 10:07 AM

At this point, does it matter if it’s staged? Damage has been done, thanks to the MSM.

Bruce Hendrix on March 4, 2008 at 10:07 AM

NOTICE…that GLUMBERT link has some small pics in sidebar that’s NSFW

JetBoy on March 4, 2008 at 10:08 AM

That puppy is dead. Look at the legs, they never move from their seemingly stiff position. Puppies, kittens, children etc, all squirm when you get by the scruff.

Bruce Hendrix on March 4, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Good God… take this down take this down taks this down. It’s completely shameful and he’s an idiot.

Gartrip on March 4, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Actually, animals go limp when you hold them by the scruff. At least a cat does (we use that technique all the time when needing to give them pills).

frankj on March 4, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Bruce Hendrix on March 4, 2008 at 10:11 AM

No no….Have you ever picked up a kitten or a puppy by the scruff of the neck? The legs simply go limp. No squirming.

JetBoy on March 4, 2008 at 10:13 AM

The media will run with this but NEVER post images or video of beheadings? The media follow up is just like the act Jr High School!

TroubledMonkey on March 4, 2008 at 10:14 AM

frankj on March 4, 2008 at 10:13 AM

OT a sec…but great idea on giving a cat a pill if needed! You obviously know how difficult that can be…they seem to know even when you try to hide in in food…

JetBoy on March 4, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Good Lord why did I click play? Now I can’t get that puppy’s squeals out of my head.

Keli on March 4, 2008 at 10:18 AM

LOL.

I mean, AL Qaeda is a bunch of peaceniks…so was the “Tollybohn”.

benrand on March 4, 2008 at 10:19 AM

With all of the horrors in the world, the point of posting this is what?

bojack on March 4, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Keli, those aren’t puppy squeals.

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Jet Boy, those legs aren’t limp. They are stiff and crunched up tight.

rigor mortis.

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 10:26 AM

A puppy might go limp…but not for that long a period of time…and that puppy was not limp. It was stiff. Dead. Stupid stunt, warranting at most a warning not to repeat it.

DngrMse on March 4, 2008 at 10:28 AM

The Dog is dead!

I just did an experiment with a litter of eight puppies I found in a box. I killed 4 and let them sit for 12 hours, then threw all eight, one at a time, off the roof of my office building.

The live ones jerk and struggle all the way–and they let out one long scream–not the series of yelps that were in this film.

Kasper Hauser on March 4, 2008 at 10:30 AM

I hope you’re joking.

Slublog on March 4, 2008 at 9:54 AM

What’s to joke about? Thanks to Juan “Hernandez” McCain spitting in the faces of the American people who only want to see our laws enforced, this sort of mud is seeping into our armed forces and re-establishing their gangs within. Anyone with sense would be able to recognize that having MS-13 trained in Ft. Benning and then unleashed onto our streets poses a greater crisis than some silly puppy toss,

But then I’m thinking of people with sense, while you’re clearly one of these Jerry Rivera type liberals who’s heart bleeds for Pedro Sin Fronteras and his taxpayer under-written larvae.

Hee Haw Damien on March 4, 2008 at 10:32 AM

WOW two brilliant satirists in the same thread! Awesome.

You guys do an excellent sendup of the leftist moonbat anti-semite and the Stormfront/Aryan Nation brigades.

I love the smell of imminent banning in the morning.

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Now way it’s real, plenty of time for a bait and switch – I hope so anyway…probably just a video to tick off the “Hate America” crowd, but tasteless nonetheless

charlie36r on March 4, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Mud? Jesus…..I followed Cpt Ed here for racist bs?

DngrMse on March 4, 2008 at 10:37 AM

I just did an experiment
Kasper Hauser on March 4, 2008 at 10:30 AM

I just love science. LMAO

txsurveyor on March 4, 2008 at 10:37 AM

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 10:35 AM

All I smell is Moby.

Slublog on March 4, 2008 at 10:39 AM

DngrMse on March 4, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Oh, this Marine is going to get to dig some big holes in hard sand or break some big rocks into little rocks for the entertainment of his supervisors, at the very least.

His NCOs aren’t going to be very happy with him or his cinematographers.

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Mud? Jesus…..I followed Cpt Ed here for racist bs?

DngrMse on March 4, 2008 at 10:37 AM

LOL!

“Mud” is racist? Are you saying “mud” is a race? What about dust?

Attn. patiots: Don’t sweep your floors. According ot some of these liberals, you’d be “oppressing” the dust! LOL!

Hee Haw Damien on March 4, 2008 at 10:43 AM

FC…

I believe you’re right. Warnings in the military usually go hand in hand with a little back breaking labor, to help reinforce the lessons one is expected to learn.

DngrMse on March 4, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Laugh it up, loser. You equated a man with ‘mud’. Defend it, or slink back to Stormfront.

DngrMse on March 4, 2008 at 10:44 AM

If this creep actually turns out to be a Marine, you should all feel sorry for what will surely happen to him. It will be ugly and swift.

dogsoldier on March 4, 2008 at 10:47 AM

DngrMse on March 4, 2008 at 10:44 AM

It’s probably just easier for a liberal Open Borders stooge like you to call me a “racist” than to confront what illegals are doing to our nation.

I don’t have to defend myself againsty PC fascism. PC fascism is its own refutation.

Hee Haw Damien on March 4, 2008 at 10:50 AM

I’m against ‘puppy throwing.’ But ‘kitten tossing,’ that’s a different story.

bluestater on March 4, 2008 at 10:57 AM

David V doesn’t know what the hell he’s talking about. Like I said earlier, a vet verified that the sounds are exactly the sounds made by puppies in distress. This is not a human imitating the sound. And a camera phone would indeed pick up high pitched sounds like yelps at a distance.

Wishful thinking.

John on March 4, 2008 at 11:04 AM

All I smell is Moby.

Slublog on March 4, 2008 at 10:39 AM

yeah I smell it too, pretty thick

Keli on March 4, 2008 at 11:04 AM

The pup was dead at least a few hours. He’s stiff all over including the woody AP captured on the front page.

Still in poor taste.

Valiant on March 4, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Hey Captain Ed.

How do you feel about joining this site NOW?

Bet you’d like your old gig back, eh?

Labamigo on March 4, 2008 at 11:07 AM

2nd thought too, whats the sign in the upper corner? Did someone try to make it seem like this is an official army video?

Rbastid on March 4, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Identified….

Wonder if they are going to find the other guy as well.

upinak on March 4, 2008 at 11:15 AM

The puppy appeared to be dead, but what’s with the two imbeciles? Now all the military will be tarred with the same feather because of this act. Great going guys.

moonsbreath on March 4, 2008 at 11:26 AM

I don’t get the big deal about this considering all the animals that are killed for my lunch and all the unwanted pets put to sleep. People who are pretending this is an international incident have no sense of perspective.

Rowsdower on March 4, 2008 at 11:30 AM

C’mon, with a nickname like Hee Haw Damien it’s gotta be satire. Regardless, somebody should email Allah, because it’s pushed it way too far.

Hey hey ho ho. Hee Haw Damien’s gotta go.

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 11:31 AM

You eat puppies for lunch?

You monster!

Slublog on March 4, 2008 at 11:31 AM

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Don’t forget Kafir.. or how ever you spell his name.

upinak on March 4, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Take away the iPhone.

Wade on March 4, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Okay, this is pretty sick. I know it’s being reviewed to find legitimacy but shouldn’t these guys be doing something else, like hunting down and killing our enemies, maaaybe?

You’ll find on YouTube a lot of horrible videos like this. This is not going to help our cause anywhere. People are seeing all sorts of videos like this and, mixed with negative perception about our status as a world leader and the war issue, it’s only going to add to it.

This is shameful.

mboprey on March 4, 2008 at 11:37 AM

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 11:31 AM

LOL! You Jerry Rivers types are too much.

Why don’t you get Michelle Malkin banned from the site while you’re at it?

If McCain refuses to enforce immigration law against illegal-alien parents of soldiers, what about illegal-alien soldiers who used stolen or fake identification to get into the military? And why only illegal-alien parents of soldiers? Why not illegal-alien parents of police officers, teachers, doctors, and store owners? McCain’s selective enforcement policy is the exact recipe for the immigration anarchy that we have today.

n Michigan, the illegal-alien parent-of-a-soldier story was met with boos. McCain’s cheerleaders at the New York Times and other press outlets attempted to depict the detractors as insensitive and racist boors — just as they did during last year’s ill-fated shamnesty campaign.

Hee Haw Damien on March 4, 2008 at 11:40 AM

It’s fake.

It’s incredibly obvious that it’s fake, too. Just a bad joke by bored soldiers. I cannot believe how seriously everyone on both sides is taking this. Some of you managed to watch the 12-yr-old beheading video with less outrage than this.

You got fooled by a bad prank. And just like the left, some of you are ready to believe the very worst of our soldiers.

aero on March 4, 2008 at 11:50 AM

You give the nutters a seat at the table, and this is possibly what you get.

I’m gonna guess somebody got banned from LGF. Charles would NOT be impressed to be cited by this kind of cretin…..

unless it really is satire, in which case, even Modest Proposals can go too far, IMHO.

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Hee Haw Damien on March 4, 2008 at 9:42 AM

I don’t believe in government censorship. But I do believe in harsh punition by the admins of my favorite site.

See ya later Hee Haw Damien.

So we have had Osambo, feckless Jews, suggestions to shoot Mexican border crossers, Juan in a uniform and even mud people.

Nope. No problem here, must be my imagination. Good show folks!

The Race Card on March 4, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Umm here is possible theory Michelle…..

I dunno….but that puppy looks like this fake one for magic

tricks…same color…and everything..at least by the vid.

dec5 on March 4, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Was Glenn Reynolds nearby?

Circumstantial evidence.

TallDave on March 4, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Bruce Hendrix on March 4, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Dude step away from the pot vending machine. The MSM sources covering this are responding to public interest. I blame the dolts in the video doing a hail Mary pass with a puppy. Do you also blame witness for crimes they saw being committed?

Also, I don’t know if the dog is dead or alive. Sounds like a lot of people think it’s dead.
One point of correction. All animals do not go limp when grabbed by their scruff. Rather, some actually do go fetal. They curl their spine and bring their quarters in close. That is the primal defensive posture and you will see many cats and dogs curled up thusly while being carried.

The Race Card on March 4, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Sleeping Dog (Realistic Looking Puppy)?

Connie on March 4, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Sorry I should have looked, Connie posted it first…….:lol

dec5 on March 4, 2008 at 12:12 PM

dec5 on March 4, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Nope. My wife has one. Stiff as a board and flat as a pancake on the underside.

Limerick on March 4, 2008 at 12:12 PM

What about the CAT JUGGLING this Marine is involved in, on the side???

What about THAT????

benrand on March 4, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Has anyone bothered to track down the guy in the video and, I dunno, ASK him if this is real? Just a thought.

aero on March 4, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Looks obvious to me that it is a stuffed animal that is designed to rest in a “sitting up” position as if “begging”.

crosspatch on March 4, 2008 at 12:26 PM

aero snort, I’m sure his Gunny has done just that already. Don’t join the chorus and assume that Marines are stupid and can’t police their own.

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 12:27 PM

I call bullshit here, and if i’m proven wrong, an apology will be posted on an appropriate thread.

irongrampa on March 4, 2008 at 12:42 PM

It’s fake.

aero on March 4, 2008 at 11:50 AM

That’s what I said on pages 1 and 2! The reaction is clearly over the top! “Sedition”, “Friendly fire”…good god, people. It was a stupid (dead) dog!

SouthernGent on March 4, 2008 at 12:43 PM

I viewed the video and all I felt was exhaustion. I’m so tired of the penchant to trap someone on cam, to embarass, to “punk”. I’m tired of Youtube, Myspace, Facebook, etc. I don’t know if the pup is real or not. The Marines are idiots, but at least when I was an active Marine that was no crime. Show the same umbrage next time you view a beheading, okay? Sorry, I’m just tired of this crap!

MNDavenotPC on March 4, 2008 at 12:49 PM

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 12:27 PM

My question was meant as a criticism of the MSM, which seems willing to put this video/story out there without first bothering to find out if it was a prank (which I’m certain it is). They will stir up a bunch of sh*t about what monsters soldiers are, and if they ever even bother to contact the soldier in the video and find out that it was just a tasteless joke, they won’t bother to correct the record.

aero on March 4, 2008 at 1:00 PM

I just with people would pay more attention to this sort of thing. I mean, if they want to get their hate on for people in uniform and all.

Although, of course, throwing a puppy dead or not is wrong.

NTWR on March 4, 2008 at 1:23 PM

aero on March 4, 2008 at 1:00 PM

The story ran here and on other blogs before MSM outlets went big with it.

So let me get this straight. HotAir should post this for our scrutiny and discussion, but MSM sources should not? Per my understanding, nobody at HA has done any reporting on this. All we have here is a video and people guessing about its veracity.

What makes HA so much better than the MSM on this one?

Neither HA, Breitbart nor any of the majors should hesitate to cover this. We get breaking reports on FoxNews about Britney Spears. On HA, we get finch scatalogy and robot sex. What’s the diff?

Furthermore, what makes you think that no reporters are trying to gather facts about this story? I’d bet they are, despite your allegation.

Your understanding how the news industry works seems to rival the MSM’s understanding of the military.

The Race Card on March 4, 2008 at 1:24 PM

1. Cats go limp when you pick them up by the scruff of the neck; dogs do not.

2. Personnel of the United States Marine Corps are “Marines,” not “soldiers.”

3. “Conduct Unbecoming a Marine” only exists in the Hollywood fantasy-land where some ROTC drill squad can pass for the US Marine Corps Silent Drill Team. “Conduct Unbecoming” applies only to officers–of any branch.

q2600 on March 4, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Didn’t watch the video dead, toy or joke I’m not into that sort of thing. That’s just me. Read on FNC website the Marines are investigating the video. If a joke is really poor taste and judgement. If real then it is truly sick.

calgrammy on March 4, 2008 at 1:28 PM

You know what? The question of whether the puppy is dead or alive doesn’t change my reaction one iota. If it was alive, it was dispicable and evil. If it was dead, it was dispicable and evil and just plain stupid.

I’m ashamed right now. Not of the troops, but of that handful of evil morons.

That is just disgusting.

tickleddragon on March 4, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Oh, and let me add…dead or alive, don’t these yahoos have something better to do than stop and make a stupid video torturing a dog??

tickleddragon on March 4, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Hee Haw Damien on March 4, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Who are you? Go away, please.

spmat on March 4, 2008 at 1:30 PM

And furthermore…thanks Allah, for depressing me. :(

tickleddragon on March 4, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Hee Haw Damien is banned.

Allahpundit on March 4, 2008 at 1:31 PM