Video: The puppy clip; Update: Theories?

posted at 9:52 pm on March 3, 2008 by Allahpundit

So many tips about this today. I held out as long as I could.

I think it’s dead. Check that: I hope it’s dead.

Update: The other side.

Update: Getting lots of e-mails about the fact that puppy isn’t struggling and how the yelp when it’s thrown doesn’t seem to trail away. Here’s one from reader David V.:

The sounds are all wrong in that clip of the “puppy throwing.”

I’ve been involved with dogs since I was 12, breeding and training, and there is no way the sounds in that Youtube video were coming from a real puppy. If you actually hurled a puppy by the scruff of its neck, the first sound you would hear would be a loud scream as it was launched, because you would have very nearly torn its neck off. Notice, though, the puppy is completely silent as it is thrown. The ridiculous yelping noises don’t start until after the pup is airborne.

That’s your second problem, because just as a human needs to take repeated breaths to keep yelling, a dog must be breathing in order to yelp. (Imagine trying to scream while spinning head-over-heels in the air.) The puppy would have gone completely stiff as it flew, tensing up and spreading its legs to try to cushion the fall. Definitely no gasping for breath and yelping.

Final problem – there is no way that a crap camera like the one used to shoot that video would be able to pick up an airborne puppy’s faint yelping from dozens of yards away, yet the “yelping” barely decreases in volume during the puppy’s flight.

I don’t know what was thrown – probably a dead puppy – but I am absolutely certain that there is no way on earth the noises in the video were made by the puppy we see there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I don’t want to believe it, but that was no fake dog. The yelping was too realistic to have been done by a person. And then just after he tosses it, you hear other dogs barking in the backround, probably where the pup came from. It’s shameful.

4shoes on March 3, 2008 at 11:13 PM

I hope its fake. I’m even uncomfortable with it being a dead dog.

Mattpat11 on March 3, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Now, the population outside of Iraq will not like it. It feeds the “American soldiers are monsters” line that the anti-American left likes to promote.

These guys, if this is real, are stupid as well as venal.

SteveMG on March 3, 2008 at 11:06 PM

My bad, that’s what I meant: American goodwill. I don’t think there will be much of an Iraqi backlash over this one.

joewm315 on March 3, 2008 at 11:14 PM

They’re also wearing the nomex jumpsuits issued when you get there. They are more fire resistany than our uniforms, used in convoy ops.

Might not even be Iraq. Could be the US, a “generic desert location”. Plus, they used his name, 3 faces are clearly pictured. I call fake, too.

Mazztek on March 3, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Eight soldiers sent home after bar urination prank
Tuesday

Eight British soldiers have been forced to return home from Norway after they reportedly stripped naked and urinated on each other in a bar during an Arctic training exercise, the UK defence ministry has confirmed.

Not cruel, but stupid.

Some sort of stupid-virus going around at the moment or something?

Reaps on March 3, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Amazing how many of y’all are denigrating soldiers with no proof they’re even soldiers. The dog is dead…if it’s real at all…so it either swells up and gets eaten by flies in their path or over the cliff. I don’t see the need for all the moral outrage. It was just a stupid practical joke.

SouthernGent on March 3, 2008 at 11:17 PM

SouthernGent on March 3, 2008 at 11:17 PM

I agree about the nature of the prank, IF the pup is already dead. But they probably didn’t foresee that many people will see this and assume it’s a live puppy and thus think poorly of the military.

mikeyboss on March 3, 2008 at 11:20 PM

I don’t care who those guys are, the puppy was alive…you got a little puppy at your house? Pick it up by the scruff of it’s neck and look what it does.

surrounded on March 3, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Reaps, ah, the Brits LOL the stories I hear…

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 11:22 PM

I wonder how the youtube poster “puredemo” obtained the video. Obviously he/she didn’t see it on youtube. seems odd that the user wouldn’t make a note about the video’s origins…

RightOFLeft on March 3, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Mazztec Area 51! Space alien HALLIBURTON employees!

eyeroll…I’ve raised puppies, my Mom breeds show dogs. If you swing a live pup its little legs swing a bit. This one is stiff as a board.

Southern gent..yep.

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Frankly, it doesn’t even matter if it is fake (though I sadly don’t believe it is). It’s meant to appear real, and that means it is out there and live cannon fodder for those who wish to paint American troops in as negative as possible a light. As such, the soldiers involved in producing this piece of propaganda are actively involved in dishonoring their service in the eyes of their countrymen. I know very little about the UCMJ, but I would certainly hope that this kind of, frankly, seditious behavior is court martial material.

Blacklake on March 3, 2008 at 11:25 PM

And bloggers are on the case: the thrower identified? And an official Marine response.

Cuffy Meigs on March 3, 2008 at 11:26 PM

seditious? holy shit, get a hold of yourself

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 11:27 PM

My son taped all my daughter’s Barbies to his ceiling fan and gave them a ride, and made silly squealy noises and jokes the whole time.

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 11:00 PM

That’s actually funny.

baldilocks on March 3, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Anyone remember Dan Rather’s “memo”?

It’s not that hard…..

Not a single “United States Flag” an any uniform?

I have a hunch that this will be de-bunked by daylight….

Seven Percent Solution on March 3, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Hmmm. How do we know they’re not leftists dressed as soldiers? It could be a page out of the colonists’ handbook (the old Boston tea party ploy — where they were dressed like American Indians.)

CyberCipher on March 3, 2008 at 11:30 PM

it’s either dead, not real, or they are just trying to pawn the viewer, a la Youtube “grandma punts baby”.

Over30 on March 3, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Cuffy, gotta love the anti-American hysteria of the comments. No worse than the ones for the TX granny with her pistol confronting the reporter though.

Shrug. David’s gonna have a long, hot summer. Have fun with Gunny, dumbshit. LOL

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 11:31 PM

dunno what the vid is, but after reading the comments I’ll just mosey on.

Limerick on March 3, 2008 at 11:31 PM

seditious? holy shit, get a hold of yourself

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Think of how the videotape is being used. The sedition isn’t the animal cruelty (that’s just scumminess). The unforgivable part is the act of creating and distributing the video, which will now be used worldwide to paint American soldiers in a negative light. I don’t know what the UCMJ says, but if it were up to me these asshats should be on the fast track to DDs.

Blacklake on March 3, 2008 at 11:32 PM

baldilocks, yeah, it was. ended up killing the cheapo ceiling fan, but since we all cracked up we couldn’t really punish him retroactively.

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 11:32 PM

What was the point of posting this? To show there are liberals in the military?

I don’t get what the point is. As an Army wife, I don’t know a single soldier who’d do something like that. And some of the comments in this thread are just as distrubing.

Amy Proctor on March 3, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Well, I didn’t read all the comments (they often provide useful views) so let me just say this:

I don’t think anyone can tell if it is alive or not. At least not for sure. The yelping seems to be the biggest argument for saying it is alive, but could it not be easily dubbed? The sound didn’t seem to really change as it was thrown – wouldn’t the increased distance make a significant change?

And if it was alive, we don’t even know if this was really soldiers. We’ve seen enough fraud to know that there are people who will misrepresent themselves.

Considering how their pictures are in the video, if they are soldiers, it shouldn’t take much time to identify them.

dabbigkahuna on March 3, 2008 at 11:35 PM

I watched and rewatched this video 10 times, stopped and started it as well. That puppy was real!

That puppy is maybe 2 weeks old or younger and abandoned by the mother, because the eyes weren’t open to well. You could see around the mouth how tight he way holding the scruff. When a puppy is that young and dehydrated they do not move when you pick them up by the scruff. Also when the guy throws it, you can hear the puppy screaming get further away. If you don’t belive me, check it out, and yeah it bugged me. And yeah i admit it I cried.

upinak on March 3, 2008 at 11:36 PM

I’m going to reserve judgement. There’s some deliberate vagueness on behalf of the video shooters. They already hold the puppy instead of showing it getting picked up. There’s that mysterious green circle in the upper left hand corner of the video which implies this is filtered through some 3rd party mechanism. The dog’s yelping doesn’t doppler. And all the while, there’s small arms fire going on in the background. Would a Marine really expose his position to enemy fire by lobbing a yelping puppy off a cliff? Also, the YouTube poster has only posted one video, something that makes me doubt the source.

All of this doesn’t mean it’s not real– it just means I have serious doubts about the factuality of the incident.

Nethicus on March 3, 2008 at 11:37 PM

oh also notice it is making little whining noises at the start of the video too.

Makes me sick.

upinak on March 3, 2008 at 11:38 PM

seditious? …get a hold of yourself

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 11:27 PM

The (borderline) “seditious” part is not the killing of the puppy–that’s just scumminess. The truly objectionable matter is the generation and distribution of the video, which will now be used to denigrate US servicemen everywhere, for years to come. I would hope that kind of thing can earn one a dishonorable.

Blacklake on March 3, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Only those on the left are gonna be ignorant enough to use the vid to smear the entire U.S. military…and they already do it anyway.

surrounded on March 3, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Update: Marines in Honolulu investigating.

Michelle on March 3, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Blacklake on March 3, 2008 at 11:25 PM

This thread has officially jumped the shark. Geez, people!

SouthernGent on March 3, 2008 at 11:44 PM

No Drudge sirene about the video…yet.

SouthernGent on March 3, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Michelle on March 3, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Thank you for the update Michelle.

upinak on March 3, 2008 at 11:46 PM

I wish I hadn’t seen this.

bour3 on March 3, 2008 at 11:47 PM

surrounded on March 3, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Exactly. Almost everyone is reacting as though they are afraid of what The Left is going to say. They’ll say the same crap they always say. Dial it back a notch, folks, and let the investigation happen. I hope y’all have to eat a lot of crow. (I will if I have to).

SouthernGent on March 3, 2008 at 11:49 PM

“Dead or alive, you do not treat animals this way. Domesticated animals were put on this earth for a reason, not for us to abuse them. – upinak on March 3, 2008 at 11:36 PM”

AGAIN……. If you watch the video, you loose sight of the puppy, dead or alive, for an instant. In the video editing/special effects world, this is an eternaty.

There are way too many questions unanswered, but the main one goes back to an old principle, “Just because you read it in print, does that make it so?”

We are in a brave new world people, and after the barrage of Al Queda propoganda videos, the MSM, Time Magazine, NYT posts all with faulty images and stories that came to the light of day after just a little examination?

I say again, the left has lost the battle against the war in Iraq because proud, professional, responsible brave young men and women are winning.

Do not take this as gospel, or you will believe everything you think someone else wants you to see…….

Seven Percent Solution on March 3, 2008 at 11:54 PM

I wish I hadn’t seen this.

I agree

Mattpat11 on March 3, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Sorry, try this and see what someone else might want you to see….

Seven Percent Solution on March 3, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Seven Percent Solution on March 3, 2008 at 11:54 PM

I said that because I believe it true.

I am not blaming the military as a whole. But this one individual can bring more down then you realize.

I am going to wait for the investigation like Southerngent said. I hope I am wrong!

and your link won’t work, but it could be my computer.

upinak on March 4, 2008 at 12:00 AM

You can see him pass it off

- The Cat

MirCat on March 4, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Whoever is responsible for and took part in this video needs to be drug out back and beaten with a rubber hose.

…whoever that may be. Hard to tell so far.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2008 at 12:03 AM

2nd look, maybe not.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 4, 2008 at 12:03 AM

MirCat on March 4, 2008 at 12:03 AM

No mir, it wasn’t. :`(

upinak on March 4, 2008 at 12:04 AM

It doesn’t feel right though, like how CG just never seams to fit. Maybe I just don’t want to believe.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 4, 2008 at 12:04 AM

You can see him pass it off

- The Cat

MirCat on March 4, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Hmmmm…right at 8 seconds something is happening…I just can’t tell what.

SouthernGent on March 4, 2008 at 12:04 AM

What do you mean pass it off? I don’t wanna watch it again.

surrounded on March 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM

upinak on March 4, 2008 at 12:00 AM

True, and I was not trying to belittle your comment, please forgive me if you took it that way…..

All I was trying to relay was that in this war, before anyothers, not only are our foriegn enemies able, but so are our domestic ones to use the tools at thier hands to try to demoralize us and turn popular opinion against us.

I am just surprised they didn’t use a baby polar bear to bring the enviornmentalist into this……

Seven Percent Solution on March 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Southern

Getting a better grip. Look I am with you, let the investigation rule out what happened in a court of law or whatever!

But the damn video is disturbing. And I raising pups, especially those abandoned know what a sick pup looks like. :(

Lets hope you are right.

upinak on March 4, 2008 at 12:07 AM

When I first say it, it looked like a arm came around from behind him and like he pulled something out of his jacket. It now looks like maybe someone was trying to get it away from him and failed.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 4, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Seven Percent Solution on March 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM

No worries, I am not upset at you. My Ex was at an FOB in Afgahnistan and told me how they had to put down the dogs and cats in the area due to rabies. It isn’t like it isn’t common place. But if they put them down they usually do it humanly as possible.
But this thing disturbs me. Maybe because I adopt soldiers and help with animals. I volunteer a lot of time, so stuff like this just gets to you.

upinak on March 4, 2008 at 12:10 AM

more evidence of abuse by U.S. troops -

RightOFLeft on March 4, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Southern

Lets hope you are right.

upinak on March 4, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Good! Glad you’re calming down a little. Hey, I like puppies as much as the next person, but I’m not going to denigrate our soldiers because of a stupid, not-so-funny joke by 3 guys. It just doesn’t make sense to tape something like this, so I have to ask what’s the agenda behind doing so? I don’t trust The Left as far as I can throw them, and it wouldn’t surpise me if they did this as a hit piece.

SouthernGent on March 4, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Seemed very dead…until the yelping, that I can’t quite figure out. Sick either way.

jjjen on March 4, 2008 at 12:18 AM

“…….so stuff like this just gets to you.

upinak on March 4, 2008 at 12:10 AM”

You said it, Brother, in so many ways.

Seven Percent Solution on March 4, 2008 at 12:19 AM

To those (not that I’ve seen any here) trying to use this against the military, there are evil people everywhere.

One of my dogs growing up was taken away from some kids by my father when he caught them trying to drawn him when he was a puppy. That wasn’t the last time he took a dog away from someone, because he caught some kids trying to hang one from the trees in our backyard. The irony is, she ended up being trained as a police dog by the officer that wrote up the police report of the incident.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 4, 2008 at 12:19 AM

I bet that’s a asshat from Blackwater like the link says, and not a marine.

Whether the dog is dead or not doesn’t matter, it’s still disguting.

AprilOrit on March 4, 2008 at 12:21 AM

By the way, is this real?

Seven Percent Solution on March 4, 2008 at 12:23 AM

This thread has officially jumped the shark. Geez, people!

SouthernGent on March 3, 2008 at 11:44 PM

I would expect one who fancies himself a “southern gentleman” to have a greater appreciation for the notion of honor. When that soldier puts on his uniform, he is representing all those who also wear that uniform. He even indirectly represents American taxpayers like you and me who not only pay for that uniform, but (at least in my case) very much support the efforts of those who wear that uniform overseas. By making this video, depicting a deliberately dishonorable act committed while in uniform, that soldier has publicly dishonored the uniform. That has repercussions for others who wear the same uniform, even though they, instead, do so with great honor. They deserve better than to be tainted in any way by this individual’s actions. And by further extension, so do you and I.

I’m not calling for his execution. But I do believe he should be made to pay a less-than-negligible price for his dishonor.

Blacklake on March 4, 2008 at 12:25 AM

SouthernGent on March 4, 2008 at 12:16 AM
Seven Percent Solution on March 4, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Yeah I am calming down. But that is a real pup. VERY Sick possibly was on the verge of death, but real.

BTW I a female…a veteran and just pissed.

upinak on March 4, 2008 at 12:25 AM

If this is a real marine and a fake/dead puppy its truly an asinine thing. Sort of like Abu graib, while it didn’t seem like a crime to me it was a case of stupidity at its highest.

I wouldn’t put it past that this is completely fake and created by the anti-war movement to “Prove a point” sort of like the people who “Prove a point” by hanging nooses and then saying a racist did it, or by passing out flyers to anti-islamic functions and then they tell everyone the republicans did it.

Rbastid on March 4, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Blacklake on March 4, 2008 at 12:25 AM

IF this is indeed not a joke and the puppy was alive, I won’t disagree with you. But to call it a seditious act when there are politicians in positons of power who have committed treason by not securing our borders is way over the top.

SouthernGent on March 4, 2008 at 12:29 AM

If they made this as some kind of joke, they’re morons. They’ll never be able to prove the dog was already dead or fake. Ditto if its fake and they’re responsible for the fake. They’ll never convince a good chunk of people that they didn’t just kill a puppy.

If the two men in and responsible for the video are really marines, this is negative PR for the sake of it, seemingly.

If its totally fake and created by someone trying to make the marines look bad, its despicable, but probably the most effective thing they could ever come up with for their cause. If the Michael Vick case shows us anything, hurting a dog is one of the biggest taboos in American culture.

Mattpat11 on March 4, 2008 at 12:29 AM

SouthernGent on March 4, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Again, nobody here denegrates our soldiers. Rather, it is the guy in the video who denegrates our soldiers by committing a dishonorable act while in uniform, then spreading the documentation of that act globally for all to see. It’s not a subtle distinction.

Blacklake on March 4, 2008 at 12:31 AM

Wow, if only you guys knew what some of our troops did to the bodies of the Japanese during WW2…

EnochCain on March 4, 2008 at 12:36 AM

SouthernGent on March 4, 2008 at 12:29 AM

What difference does it make? The video is viewed the same either way. The propaganda damage is done either way. Hence, the dishonor is the same, either way. I would personally be less inclined to want to kick the guy in the jewels if the act was faked (though I don’t believe it was), but so far as the disciplinary issue is concerned, the damage done is the damage done.

Blacklake on March 4, 2008 at 12:36 AM

BTW I a female…a veteran and just pissed. – upinak on March 4, 2008 at 12:25 AM”

Won’t make the mistake again, Upinak, and pissed is OK. My eyes are looking at the SOBs who had “hands on” this whole little escapade that has us all up late tonight.

Does anyone else know what that green circle with the crown is it in upper left hand corner of the video, or did I miss a previous comment?

Seven Percent Solution on March 4, 2008 at 12:39 AM

I am appalled!

Allah, Just exactly what WAS the point of posting this disturbing piece of trash?

For crying out loud, put a content warning for those that do not wish to view something of this nature. This is not the first time I find myself angry (yes, I said ANGRY) that you do not excercise more consideration for those with sensibilities different than your own.

MsDollie on March 4, 2008 at 12:42 AM

Some of you people are acting like they just beheaded a prisoner on video.

EnochCain on March 4, 2008 at 12:43 AM

Welcome to the Military! Remember we get what is sent us by the wonderful society we have fashioned for ourselves. This video is proof that our Education system is broke, and parents are generally weak. I could tell you story after story of dumbasses who ruin it for the rest of us. As you know “generation I don’t give a crap about anybody but myself” doesn’t look at consequences. Unfortunately that bleeds into the military and bootcamp doesnt cure all ills. Sorry to break it to you all who have put us on way to high a pedastal, even though I appreciate it. Hell we’ve got guys claiming PTSD who havent even been in country yet. Fortunately for you the morons are still far outnumbered by the good ones. And yes they are Marines. We do not wear patches or flags on our uniforms, except for flight suits. Some recon units wear the backwards green flag, but that’s rare. I apologize for my fellow idiot Marines who we’rent thinking.

gator70 on March 4, 2008 at 12:52 AM

I’ve been involved with dogs since I was 12, both breeding and training, and there is no way the sounds in that video were coming from a real puppy. If you actually hurled a puppy by the scruff of its neck, the first sound you would hear would be a loud scream as it was launched, because you would have very nearly torn its neck off. Notice, though, the puppy is completely silent as it is thrown. The ridiculous yelping noises don’t start until after the pup is airborne.

DavidV on March 4, 2008 at 12:52 AM

In all honesty, I don’t see what the fuss is about, even if they are soldiers and that puppy was alive. Yes, it would then be a terrible thing, but it does not speak to any political or military reality of any consequence. In essence, this video means nothing.

Dr. Manhattan on March 4, 2008 at 12:53 AM

By the way, is this real?

Seven Percent Solution on March 4, 2008 at 12:23 AM

surrounded on March 4, 2008 at 1:00 AM

This really blows my mind that so many of you think this is real.

First off, the video is fake. Most likely that isn’t even a real puppy. The voice that you hear from the Dog is dubbed in (OBVIOUSLY). The Military uniforms they are wearing are not standard issue . As you know, the US military issues very unique camouflage design that was developed by computers (And is classified).

Nonetheless, do you actually believe that these guys are walking around in a desert and find that type of puppy???…
Also, do you actually believe a dog in the desert will be that clean? COME ON PEOPLE!

Stop being so naive!

msipes on March 4, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Heh…I gotta figure out the quote thingy….Seven Percent Solution, have you been “stumbling”? :)

surrounded on March 4, 2008 at 1:04 AM

In all honesy, where has this video been????

Seven Percent Solution on March 4, 2008 at 1:11 AM

Ya wanna know why I think (just a “think,” not a “know”) it’s a fake?

Look around at places with open commenting reporting on this – there’s a huge number of people “excusing” the “culprits” because, after all, soldiers always rob, rape, and kill innocent people.

Doesn’t that sound like something a smug leftist Moby would say in trying to keep the story alive while denigrating those they don’t like, i.e. the US and especially the military?

Kind of like the effect of the video itself.

Given the number of “dog abuse” stories that have already come out, and how staged the video is, and the mass excuse comment campaign, it just smells like a fraud.

Frankly, fraud or not the makers are despicable, but for somewhat different reasons.

Merovign on March 4, 2008 at 1:13 AM

surrounded on March 4, 2008 at 1:04 AM”

Meh……

Seven Percent Solution on March 4, 2008 at 1:18 AM

I don’t buy the dog’s yelps as it’s being thrown. I think those were added in by an editor.

That alone doesn’t mean the whole video is fake, but it raises suspicion.

Surely the US military can figure out who these fellows are (if they are members of the US military) and get to the bottom of this.

Even if it was a big joke and no puppy died, it’s not a funny joke when it brings negative attention on the armed forces. And even if they were justified in killing it (rabies?) that doesn’t justify the callousness and sport of it. And why the hell did they videotape it, if it was real? That’s stupid, and stupid deserves punishment.

daryl_herbert on March 4, 2008 at 1:22 AM

Wow,if only you guys knew what some of our troops did to the
bodies of the Japanese during WW2…

EnochCain on March 4,2008 at 12:36PM.

EnochCain: Wow,if only you can see what atrocities the
Japanese did to American troops,like doing
medical experiments on US Soldiers,who were
alive at the time,talk about pure horror!

canopfor on March 4, 2008 at 1:36 AM

Even PETA thinks it’s faked:

“We think he may have already been dead, but we’re not exactly sure,” said Kristin Dejournett, a cruelty caseworker with the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, in a telephone interview.

The puppy appears motionless as the Marine holds it by the scruff of the neck.

“It seems kind of stiff,” Dejournett said. “As the [Marine] pulls his arm back in preparation to throw the puppy, the puppy stays in that same position; it doesn’t move around.”

SilverStar830 on March 4, 2008 at 2:31 AM

Is it real or is it Photoshop?

Johan Klaus on March 4, 2008 at 2:36 AM

CHILL. Does anyone wonder who would want our troops to look this bad??? I suggest you do.

allrsn on March 4, 2008 at 2:55 AM

canopfor on March 4, 2008 at 1:36 AM

Yeah I know…thats what I am saying…there are much worse things that have been done in war.

EnochCain on March 4, 2008 at 2:59 AM

I could have given a better example but anyway…

EnochCain on March 4, 2008 at 3:02 AM

Did you see the Russian man that took a dive off of a building and then walked away?

Johan Klaus on March 4, 2008 at 3:12 AM

WTF are these idiots thinking? this pisses me off, and it should piss YOU off too!

homesickamerican on March 4, 2008 at 3:45 AM

The dog is real. Could it be dead? I don’t think so. A vet contacted by one news source said the yelps are real.

This guy’s either a sadist or an idiot. Either way he deserves a swift kick in the ass. I imagine his fellow marines, not amused at being portrayed this way in front of the whole world, might help him out with that.

John on March 4, 2008 at 4:02 AM

The dogs over here are loaded with diseases. Now, I wouldn’t torture one… but I won’t hesitate to shoot one.

People are getting more outraged over a wild puppy than humans being beheaded.

spec_ops_mateo on March 4, 2008 at 5:37 AM

Oh yeah, like THIS was press America needed.
Or the pro-war anti-jihad movement needed.
NOT.

Granted that our armed forces are trained killers.

There is, however, a DIFFERENCE between killing a human enemy when engaged in combat, and gutless, brainless TORTURE.

That difference is HONOR and honorable conduct.

Killing the enemy in combat is honorable. Wingin’ a defenseless little puppy is nothing but brainless, dishonorable cruelty.

A just punishment would be to have a grizzly bear (relativey comparable size difference between adult human and puppy?) bite Mortari across his balls and wing HIM off a cliff by those very balls.

I can understand the boredom and rage our military people feel being stuck over there in the s**t-hole known as Iraq but the sheer stupidity and cruelty of taking that rage out on a tiny little creature that was probably half dead anyway, AFTER the Abu Ghraib mess?

This guy doesn’t have the brains to represent America’s finest nor does he display the honor to be one.

In my not so humble opinion.

Shirotayama on March 4, 2008 at 5:50 AM

agreed- disgusting. Real or fake, someone passed it on for the same effect. If it’s me, and it makes it “out there” and creates harm for our military and their situation (and it IS), I hunt them down and find out what the story is. But I still am amazed that libs want these men painfully killed for doing this, yet they are OK with Saddam cutting tongues and ears off, throwing people in plastic bottle shredding machines, and hooded men cutting American heads off with dull steak knives while they are awake. Amazing.

HunnyWaggin on March 4, 2008 at 7:01 AM

For starters, for you apologists, the “Its just a dog” people — the reason why people get so enraged over seeing this sort of stuff is because the animals are basically defenseless. Compare abusing an animal to abusing a baby — thats about the level of indignity thats being stooped to.

Secondly, I happen to believe the video is real. The puppy may be dead .. but the video is probably real.

your_worst_enemy on March 4, 2008 at 7:22 AM

Does anyone even know for sure if this is real? Why was it on You Tube? Who put it there?

I read that the military will investigate this and if it is true the people responsible should be held accountable.

But the morally superior anti war people out there who jumped on this should remember that in the Arab culture dogs are considered unclean and are not treated well at all. Our soldiers have adopted and fed and cared for all kinds of animals in Iraq who would otherwise have died. They have adopted them and sent them back to the States as well. And they get no credit for it either.

So, maybe rather than go off half cocked about this video, people need to allow the investigation to play out and they also need to keep it in perspective. Things as bad and worse than this happen to animals in this country every day at the hands of civilians. I think a little less self righteous sanctimonious moralizing would be in order here.

Terrye on March 4, 2008 at 7:28 AM

War affects different people in different ways. But make no mistake, war affects everyone. Our soldiers see things that most people will never see but on a movie screen – friends with horrific wounds or friends and comrades who have been killed. They see civilians and enemy soldiers who have been killed or wounded. They see the cliche – death and destruction. But it is real – death and destruction. We order our men to fight on the most complex battlefield in the history of man – helping a country establish itself, helping schoolchildren with school supplies and babies with medicine, and on the next block conducting a raid on a suspected insurgent house (prepared to kill everyone inside but distinguishing between hostile and non-hostile targets inside). On the next block they are hit by an IED and are engaged in an intense firefight for their lives. And through it all, they have largely been overwhelmingly successful. 18, 19, and 20 year old kids from all sorts of families – some good and many bad – have been taken into the fold of the military family and have largely been amazing soldiers and men/women. And then, after everything that they have been through and seen, you are going to tell a kid that because he hurt/killed a puppy that he is going to stand court martial? I would not. If I was this kid’s commander, I would not bring any sort of UCMJ against him and if anything, would chew him out, and give him a couple of days extra duty with some talking with the chaplain to go with it. As bad at his video may be to those on this board who are “outraged and disturbed” I would say that you should be thankful that this is still what can bring you to outrage – a soldier hurting a puppy. Be thankful that severed human heads, body parts, blood, dead children and babies, and a daily life and death struggle against a merciless and savage enemy haven’t replaced that ability to get outraged at a hurt puppy.

King of the Britons on March 4, 2008 at 7:36 AM

Does anyone even know for sure if this is real?…

i dont care what “they” do with their dogs. find these men and clear it up. if its a fake to cause harm from within- expose it. if its real- send them home pack’in and court martial them for the harm they caused to our effort.

well, you know the old saying- you can be the best guy in the world your whole life…”but give one blow job!?”

HunnyWaggin on March 4, 2008 at 7:42 AM

I still say this vid need not be shown. But, for the benefit of those who think vids of our troops acting like morons need be, they TEASE KIDS WITH WATER…..throw a live grenade at a SHEEP HERDER’S HERD…and hey, how about BLOWING UP A KITTEN

There’s more…Again, this stuff should not be propagated…but for those who think this is a good thing, enjoy.

JetBoy on March 4, 2008 at 7:46 AM

JetBoy on March 4, 2008 at 7:46 AM

wow.why the hell would you post this post? can someone please post 2 good reasons why i shouldnt watch “kiddie porn” and then post a few links afterwards?…wow

HunnyWaggin on March 4, 2008 at 7:50 AM

This really pisses me off. Not just because of the cruelty of throwing a puppy off a cliff, but because this incident makes all of America look bad. I bet they are probably playing this video all across the world right now.

SoulGlo on March 4, 2008 at 7:52 AM

wow.why the hell would you post this post?

HunnyWaggin on March 4, 2008 at 7:50 AM

Exactly. I said in this tread last night that the puppy vid had no reason to be promoted. Some argued that…so hey, let’s show more atrocities!

Just making a point…and no, I’ll post no more of those links. And those are the tame ones…you should see the stuff the moonbats are posting up. They were prompted by the puppy video.

So, be prepared for a media firestorm over many more cruelty vids to show up.

JetBoy on March 4, 2008 at 7:59 AM