Video: The puppy clip; Update: Theories?

posted at 9:52 pm on March 3, 2008 by Allahpundit

So many tips about this today. I held out as long as I could.

I think it’s dead. Check that: I hope it’s dead.

Update: The other side.

Update: Getting lots of e-mails about the fact that puppy isn’t struggling and how the yelp when it’s thrown doesn’t seem to trail away. Here’s one from reader David V.:

The sounds are all wrong in that clip of the “puppy throwing.”

I’ve been involved with dogs since I was 12, breeding and training, and there is no way the sounds in that Youtube video were coming from a real puppy. If you actually hurled a puppy by the scruff of its neck, the first sound you would hear would be a loud scream as it was launched, because you would have very nearly torn its neck off. Notice, though, the puppy is completely silent as it is thrown. The ridiculous yelping noises don’t start until after the pup is airborne.

That’s your second problem, because just as a human needs to take repeated breaths to keep yelling, a dog must be breathing in order to yelp. (Imagine trying to scream while spinning head-over-heels in the air.) The puppy would have gone completely stiff as it flew, tensing up and spreading its legs to try to cushion the fall. Definitely no gasping for breath and yelping.

Final problem – there is no way that a crap camera like the one used to shoot that video would be able to pick up an airborne puppy’s faint yelping from dozens of yards away, yet the “yelping” barely decreases in volume during the puppy’s flight.

I don’t know what was thrown – probably a dead puppy – but I am absolutely certain that there is no way on earth the noises in the video were made by the puppy we see there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Dumbasses. Thanks for doing irreperable harm to the reputation we have worked so hard to build with the American people. Hope I see you asshats sometime real soon.

joewm315 on March 3, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Thanks for winning hearts and minds, jackass!

Tzetzes on March 3, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Prob’ly not vegetarians those guys.

Tzetzes on March 3, 2008 at 9:57 PM

that’s sad.

Mofugger on March 3, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Was that Huckabee’s son?

Rusty Allen on March 3, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Fake? Already dead? The sqeaking says it probably is.

Still, pretty disgusting.

Tzetzes on March 3, 2008 at 9:59 PM

I didn’t know Vick was in Iraq

Mofugger on March 3, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Well…that wasn’t helpful. Looks like somebody found a Jackass in US military clothing somewhere in Iraq. Bet he’s a Democrat or a Paulnut.

AUINSC on March 3, 2008 at 9:59 PM

WHAT THE HECK!

AbaddonsReign on March 3, 2008 at 9:59 PM

I love our troops — but this is shameful. I’m angry.

Richard Romano on March 3, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Tons of Diggbats have sent me this video, too. Fits right into the soldier-as-monster narrative. Don’t fall for it. Look: The dog doesn’t move the entire time. It’s dead.

Michelle on March 3, 2008 at 10:02 PM

LOL, that is a stuffed toy! run it frame by frame, it does not move.

Ropera on March 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Disgusting jackass. And I’m sure most U.S. soldiers would agree with my analysis.

amerpundit on March 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM

It looks staged. The puppy doesn’t move while in the soldier’s hand. Even if the puppy is dead, it’s still a pretty disgusting video.

If it’s not staged, I’d say that young man needs to be on the receiving end of a blanket party.

O-Dub on March 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Michelle:

I want to believe that, but there’s yelping — is it possible the yelping is mimicked by one of the soldiers? I want to believe this, our troops are honorable, although there are a few jerks, like in any bunch.

Richard Romano on March 3, 2008 at 10:04 PM

If it’s fake or dead, where did the yelping come from?

amerpundit on March 3, 2008 at 10:04 PM

If it’s fake or dead, where did the yelping come from?

Overdub.

Allahpundit on March 3, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Yup. Dead puppies all curl their lower legs beneath themselves when held by the scruff of the neck.

BowHuntingTexas on March 3, 2008 at 10:08 PM

That’s horrible!

aengus on March 3, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Overdub.

Allahpundit on March 3, 2008 at 10:05 PM

I hope you’re right, but this isn’t the first video surfacing of some troops hurting or taunting dogs. If you can’t see the video, it’s of two troops throwing rocks at a dog laying on the ground. The dog ends up having to hop away on its two front feet, with his back legs visibly hurt.

amerpundit on March 3, 2008 at 10:09 PM

I think it’s real, however, I don’t know what that strange green cirle in the upper right corner is. Doesn’t look American. Anybody shed some light on this for me?

VolMagic on March 3, 2008 at 10:10 PM

I read recently that the Iraqis view dogs like they do rats and other vermin. They just let them run around and don’t take care of them.

Maybe some of that thinking wears off on our people.

Geez, I hope this is fake.

War is ugly.

SteveMG on March 3, 2008 at 10:11 PM

It doesn’t matter if the puppy was dead or not. The bigger concern is the fact that they thought this was something entertaining enough to film and post on the damn internet. Maybe he’s not a “puppy killer”, but he’s still the biggest tool in the desert and doesn’t deserve to be a Marine.

Big Daddy Cool on March 3, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Sick. This will get more play then ALL the stories of soldiers bringing dogs home from Iraq COMBINED.

Tony737 on March 3, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Overdub.

Allahpundit on March 3, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Seems likely to me as well, AP, but these kids are still morons who have created a P.R. nightmare. I’m sure their First Sergeant will have them strung up by the gonads for the headache this is sure to cause him.
I’m not a fan of the military having access to upload videos in theater, period. Whether it’s a stupid dancing montage with underwear-clad Marines or a cool explosion with lots of whooping and cheering, it makes us look unprofessional and ridiculous.

joewm315 on March 3, 2008 at 10:12 PM

The DNC has bought the rights to video and will use it in a ad next month.

malan89 on March 3, 2008 at 10:13 PM

malan89 on March 3, 2008 at 10:13 PM

**an ad**

malan89 on March 3, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Who said these jack asses are actually American Soldiers in the field? They could be Code Pink punks in the Southern California desert, wearing uniforms from GI Joe’s Surplus for all we know.

Nice timing by the way, the more sucess, no news but this crap.

Pathetically, the knee-jerk reaction everyone is having will circle the globe ten times before any truth comes out.

Seven Percent Solution on March 3, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Can we counter this filth with something like this?

malan89 on March 3, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Unfortunately, I am certain those were real troops. I don’t know if the dog was real or not, but frankly I don’t give d–n.
I call for a Code Red, followed by IED disarming duty.

Lancer on March 3, 2008 at 10:17 PM

seven percent solution

I hope it’s fake GIs, because that was a live puppy.
It’s more believable that leftist wackos would do this than GIs, but the latter is possible.

jgapinoy on March 3, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Oh so its a fraud? Good.

If most people knew the way the Chinese Commies treat animals they wouldn’t be able to pawn off their crappy wares come hell or high water.

aengus on March 3, 2008 at 10:18 PM

I held out as long as I could.

Sorry, but nothing good can come of posting this. Should have held out much, much longer.

JetBoy on March 3, 2008 at 10:19 PM

I bet he chased that puppy down in his Bradley.

This is about as real as Hillary Clinton’s presidential hopes.

JohnTant on March 3, 2008 at 10:19 PM

BowHuntingTexas on March 3, 2008 at 10:08 PM

I too think the pup is already dead. The legs are probably curled like that because he was found dead laying on his side and is riggored in that position.

boomer on March 3, 2008 at 10:20 PM

JetBoy on March 3, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Why? It’s not like these jackasses speak for all American soldiers. And it’s not like if Allah didn’t post it, people wouldn’t find out about it.

amerpundit on March 3, 2008 at 10:21 PM

trailortrash on March 3, 2008 at 10:21 PM

A good friend from high school caught a bunch of guys on his dorm floor torturing a stray kitten by swinging it around in circles in a pillowcase and slamming it on the walls. You can find creeps anywhere.

But why the hell they allow these guys to take videos of themselves I cannot understand.

And why the dumbass wouldn’t think somebody would recognize his unit patch and share this lovely movie with his commander, well, … they still find government employees with kiddie pron on their government computers too, so what can I say?

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Uhm, yeah, that’s fake as hell.

Riposte on March 3, 2008 at 10:23 PM

what is the little green circle in the upper right corner?

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 10:25 PM

amerpundit on March 3, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Yeah, and Abu-Grahib was only a “few jackasses” too…and look what happened? All this will serve to do is increase animosity toward ALL the troops. Deserved or not. I just don’t think vids like this need to be promoted.

JetBoy on March 3, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Watching the video I dont know how you can come to the conclusion that its fake or staged. Immediately resorting to that is no different than how truthers immediately blame the government for any disaster.

muyoso on March 3, 2008 at 10:27 PM

btw…that puppy did not look dead to begin with…when grabbed by the nape of the neck, as a mother would, all four legs drop down. If the pup were dead, the legs wold stick out more.

JetBoy on March 3, 2008 at 10:28 PM

So do some of our units have uniforms with no patches, such as a US flag on them? I sure didn’t notice any on these “soldiers”.

boomer on March 3, 2008 at 10:28 PM

I think we have to remember that even though these guys are soldiers, a lot of them are still teenagers. And some (disturbed) teenage boys do stuff like this. It’s a fact of life.

malan89 on March 3, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Now this is what we call a non sequitur.

No different at all?

None?

SteveMG on March 3, 2008 at 10:29 PM

“… the way the Chinese Commies treat animals …” – Aengus

Or the way they treat their unwanted daughters.

Tony737 on March 3, 2008 at 10:30 PM

This is most likely not US soldiers, but rather a contractor. Either way, these soldiers/contractors need to be held responsible and have the book thrown at them. They need an example to be made of them, publicly.

muyoso on March 3, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Very unfortunate.

Whether the puppy was dead or not, and the yelping could have been one of the soldiers, but the “that’s mean” at the end, and the sheepish grin and shrug of the asshole who threw the dog says it was probably not dead.

Isn’t there some rule about bringing dishonor on the uniform, and doesn’t that guy fit the bill perfectly?

I’d like to see his name published, see him get a dishonorable discharge, and have to work at McDonalds the rest of his life.

No offense to McDonalds workers everywhere, but that beats him becoming a United State Senator 15 years from now.

Jaynie59 on March 3, 2008 at 10:31 PM

@ SteveMG on March 3, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Its using the exact same logic, just to different ends. One is blaming the gov/military for crap, when the other is defending it, both completely blindly without facts.

muyoso on March 3, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Dead dog. They forgot the “no animals were harmed…” bit.

I think some folks are shocked by the apparent callousness of this joke, but these guys face death daily, and may well have seen it take their comrades in arms. If that leaves them a little hardened and unfeeling about playing jokes with dead puppies, I think we can all try to understand.

TexasDan on March 3, 2008 at 10:31 PM

JetBoy on March 3, 2008 at 10:25 PM

There’s a difference between what happened at Abu Ghraib, and two idiots posting a video online. And should Abu Graib have been kept quite because it may have increased animosity towards all troops, though it was only caused by a few?

Again, please see the video link in my second comment. This isn’t the first case of a troop taunting or hurting a dog in Iraq. It’s certainly not wide-spread, but it’s possible.

amerpundit on March 3, 2008 at 10:32 PM

BowHuntingTexas on March 3, 2008 at 10:08 PM

boomer on March 3, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Sorry. I should have used an /s for sarcasm. I believe the pup was alive and that we’re watching a Timothy McVeigh re-incarnate unless, as others have speculated, this is a nasty, staged Code Pink lie of some sort.

BowHuntingTexas on March 3, 2008 at 10:33 PM

It’s either a stuffed animal or a dead dog……get a life folks. These guys are living in an environment of immediate termination and they made a silly vid they certainly didn’t expect to make the internet. And I though the libtards cornered the market in pompous fools.

David in ATL on March 3, 2008 at 10:35 PM

We have a whole series of facts about 9/11 and yet people still believe it was the government.

We have almost no facts here. Just a clip.

There is no similarity in the thinking behind the two scenarios because the two examples have nothing similar to compare.

SteveMG on March 3, 2008 at 10:35 PM

I would have more respect for lib/dems if they would come out and say these “people” (Iraqis) are not worth it. How they manage to maintain their moral superiority is a mystery to me. “Oh the poor suffering Iraqis, lets abandon them”.

If this is what’s happening to our troops, bring em home – so their mothers can slap em. It must be the heat. Maybe they were showing off for some Iraqis.

Our troop interaction with Iraqi “people” is becoming too intimate.

Agrippa2k on March 3, 2008 at 10:35 PM

My roomate in graduate school had a pet gerbil. It died. He decided to “experiment.” He dipped the remains in a vat of liquid nitrogen for a short time. Then, he pulled it out, and threw it against the wall (to watch it shatter).

That was almost 30 years ago. Needless to say, I successfully lost track of THAT roomate’s whereabouts.

My collie says:

I think that there should be an investigation into this incident.

CyberCipher on March 3, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Can we counter this filth with something like this?

malan89 on March 3, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Blackfive has more photos of the puppies in the same counter story in AP’s second link. But no one will be clicking on that. :-/

baldilocks on March 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM

It would be great if it was fake,however I love dogs,
and in the world of video we live in,maybe this video
is a ruse,if not,the United States military will deal
with him I’m sure.

And at the stage were in,for all the great news,the surge,
Iragys citizens returning to normal life,this is the last
thing we needed to see in Irag.

Ya only know that PETA,Code Pinko’s are going to climb all
over this video,and point,once again in their fertal Liberal
Moonbat minds that the US Military is doing nasty things!

This is only going to fuel the crazys and give them a reason
to re-focus back on Irag!

canopfor on March 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Only that the prison pics made the Muslims angrier, and the puppy clip (and also that vid you linked to…even worse than the puppy one) only serve to put our troops is a worse light. Yes…this is just a FEW soldiers…but it puts ALL of them in another perspective as far as Americans go.

These vids being shown, much less promoted, serve no positive purpose. None.

JetBoy on March 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM

OMG, it’s Scott Beauchamp’s contractors LOL.

I’ve picked up puppies that way before, and they squirm a bit or at least twitch a leggie if they are alive, especially if you swing them back and forth a bit. That puppy is dead.

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM

No patches on the uniforms means fake soldiers or real ones who knew they were doing wrong and removed them.

baldilocks on March 3, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Not qualified to say much, but wouldn’t you expect the puppy to squeal when the kid first wound his arm back to throw?

mikeyboss on March 3, 2008 at 10:40 PM

David in ATL on March 3, 2008 at 10:35 PM

There’s a difference between us pompous fools and the libtards. The libtards rejoice at anything that shows our military in a bad light, while us pompous fools know that these kinds of things are rare and only reflect on the character of the individual involved, but we also know that it makes it that much harder for the rest of them to get the respect they’ve earned.

We feel bad about how it makes all of them look, while the libtards just see it as one more example of how all of them really are.

Jaynie59 on March 3, 2008 at 10:41 PM

its legs aren’t moving, has to be fake

jp on March 3, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Two morons for taping. That dogs is already dead. Still born in that position. Plus that sound dubbing did not even trail away with distance. Some moonbat thinks they did good work.

jlemieu1 on March 3, 2008 at 10:43 PM

The Iraqi people do not view dogs as pets, their only value is in the amount of noise they make when somebody approaches their house. They will not feed the dogs of provide any veterinary care for them.
Back when I was still in the Marines, and deployed to Fallujah in ’04 we would kill the stray dogs due to the danger of disease. We did have a pet for a while, we named her Bip (from the acronym Blown In Place). We were told to get rid of her and had to search around for someone to take her in. We knew the moment she was turned loose out side the wire that she was as good as dead. After a few days we got the Marines at the ASP to take her in.
That being said the same Marines who worried so much over the Bip would laugh it up, and take pictures of the dogs they killed in the city. A lot of things done in combat zones all around the world shock people who aren’t there.
One of my friends from my PTSD group has said “once you’ve fired a fully automatic weapon at another human being whats killing a dog?”

Bigkatt on March 3, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Oh. No patches or rank? Is there even the little velcro thing on the shoulder where a patch should/could be?

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 10:44 PM

These vids being shown, much less promoted, serve no positive purpose. None.

JetBoy on March 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM

So they should be hidden? AG, too?

amerpundit on March 3, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Well, we have people saying that they think the dog is fake. Or already dead. Or that those aren’t US soldiers. Et cetera.

Obviously, none of us know for a fact what occurred.

It appears to be US soldiers in Iraq cruelly mistreating a puppy. Ugly. Terrible. Sad.

But we’re guessing. It may be staged; it may not be. I think it isn’t (why stage something this minor when one could stage something far more sinister?).

To compare the thinking here with those who, despite overwheming factual evidence, believe the government was behind 9/11 is nonsensical.

We have no facts to go on here. We’re just making assumptions.

SteveMG on March 3, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Good point.

jlemieu1 on March 3, 2008 at 10:46 PM

the “yelping” did sound particularly close to the camera microphone. I hope it was a gag, in poor taste as it may have been. but remember, there are over 100,000 servicemembers in Iraq, and 99.999% of them are doing the honorable things.

besides, it’s been my experience that U.S. servicemembers collect pets, snakes, scorpions, spiders, and as we had recently seen in the news, dogs.

Hog Wild on March 3, 2008 at 10:46 PM

amerpundit on March 3, 2008 at 10:44 PM

There’s no good reason to promote them. What good comes of it?

JetBoy on March 3, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Baldi–I don’t see even the velcro attachment thing for a patch.

HALLIBURTON! and yeah, dog is dead. Dumbasses should go have a nice rabies series.

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 10:47 PM

they made a silly vid they certainly didn’t expect to make the internet.

You don’t seriously think they’re that stupid, do you?

Do you?

Reaps on March 3, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Steve, real soldiers wear real uniforms with velcro patches. Even if you take off your patch you have the ??? fuzzy attachment stuff for the patch to stick to. I don’t see anything like that, and I have washed lots of uniforms before, flight suit and BDU.

Don’t enlisted uniforms have the velcro thing too?

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 10:50 PM

*those were Marines; you can tell by the FLT Suit if not the digi cammo helmet.

Just wanted to point that out.

TheEJS on March 3, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Question: I see no patches either,or US flag patch!

This just could be a ruse,remember one thing
Liberals are very,very,bitter that their not
in power!

canopfor on March 3, 2008 at 10:51 PM

There’s no good reason to promote them. What good comes of it?

JetBoy on March 3, 2008 at 10:47 PM

So for the record, you think we shouldn’t have payed any attention to Abu Ghraib? I guess we’d just have to agree to disagree there.

amerpundit on March 3, 2008 at 10:52 PM

I’m with Jetboy on this: real or fake, no good comes from making this video viral.

Abu Ghraib rightfully lost us the support of countless Iraqis. Now think of how many short-attention span US soccer moms this expose’/hoax will disgust.

I’m thinking of my good conservative Humane Society volunteering wife here. She would freak the f out. I’d like to think she’s more principled than that, but it’s a pretty visceral video—even had me cussing these scum.

Cuffy Meigs on March 3, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Why do soldiers always get labeled as ‘marines’, anyway?

Quality of the video doesn’t help either, as I’m still not sure if I can see the dog licking it’s nose in the first second of the video or if it’s just low-quality pixel corruption

Even if it were ‘staged’ and it was a real dog (only dead), it still strikes me as a little disturbing to just chuck it off a cliff. “Boys will be boys” arguments shouldn’t cut it when you’ve got a rifle in your hands

That being said, one hopes it is all just a joke of Kerryesque proportions, and until I learn more about it I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. Although my intial reaction was one of absolute fury, I must admit.

Reaps on March 3, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Steve, real soldiers wear real uniforms with velcro patches. Even if you take off your patch you have the ??? Okay, so perhaps it’s not US soldiers?

Good point.

I should say it appears to be some type of military or security people mistreating a puppy dog. Scratch that “US” qualifier.

There are several odd aspects to it.

SteveMG on March 3, 2008 at 10:56 PM

EJS so enlisted Marine uniforms don’t have shoulder patches? My husband’s tan flight suits have velcro thingies (patch attachment devices? whatever) on the shoulders. Not arguing, just curious.

Anyway, the puppy was dead, and they were being dummies.

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Yeah, and jerks like these make the other 99.999% look bad.

malan89 on March 3, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Right … hope they get the same punishment as those British soldiers photographed beating a man in the back of a truck …

corona on March 3, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Michelle on March 3, 2008 at 10:02 PM

The puppy was doing what any puppy would do when held by the scruff of the neck. And even if it was dead (which it wasn’t), the message was no less despicable.

I’m disgusted to think a sub-human like that is representing me abroad. Had I been present, there likely would have been a case of friendly fire.

Blacklake on March 3, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Marines don’t wear any unit or flag patches on their uniforms, and thus have no Velcro on their sleeves. Often they won’t wear the metal rank insignia when in the field, also due to field conditions as the uniforms get worn out the name tapes will be left off too. Some units are authorized to wear the Tan flight suit, or tankers smock. Most of the Issue gear is being switched over to a more uniform Coyote brown, but the occasional jungle pattern can still be seen. The Kevlar covers are desert MARPAT so the men in the video are most likely Marines.

Bigkatt on March 3, 2008 at 10:59 PM

1. No patches or rank on the puppy thrower.

2. The asshat that pops into frame clearly has a digital cammo cover on his kevlar. Either the resolution is so bad that I can’t see it, or the puppy thrower doesn’t have a digital cammo cover. In fact, he doesn’t appear to have on desert BDUs or desert ACUs. I know for a fact that desert BDUs have no pockets on the sleeves.

3. Where is that “soldier’s” or “Marine’s” weapon.

4. The flak jacket puppy thrower is wearing is not MOLLE compliable.

I’m not saying this is fake, but damn, these guys are going around with mismatched, outdated equipment if it is real.

Blarg the Destroyer on March 3, 2008 at 10:59 PM

TheEJS on March 3, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. Although the public seems to list nearly anyone not in a flight suit as a ‘marine’ these days..

As far as ‘not letting the video go viral’

- not posting it here won’t stop that from happening. And only makes it seem like ‘we’ are trying to ignore it at best, and cover it up at worst

- here’s an idea; don’t do such a stupid thing in the first place, and then don’t be so stupid as to post it up on the internet to top it off

Hmm. Given my post above it seems no matter what angle I look at this from, they always come off as being utter morons for this.

Reaps on March 3, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Eh. My son taped all my daughter’s Barbies to his ceiling fan and gave them a ride, and made silly squealy noises and jokes the whole time.

He’s not gonna turn into some kind of ? guy who traps screaming women on a perpetual ferris wheel or something.

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 11:00 PM

amerpundit on March 3, 2008 at 10:52 PM

No…Of course Abu-Grahib needed to be fully investigated. But the pics from there did not need to be publicized as they were.

As for the puppy, it’s far different than the prison fiasco…but with that puppy vid, I repeat…nothing good can come of it. Imagine the enemy shows that vid to all those kids who idolize our troops in Iraq.

JetBoy on March 3, 2008 at 11:01 PM

This makes me sick I really hope it wasn’t any of military men..This would give anmo to the moonbats..:(

beachkatie on March 3, 2008 at 11:01 PM

These are Marines. They have Marine pattern kevlar covers and plain coyote brown flak jackets, all Marine issue. They are far too young to be contractors, and the buildings in the background are certainly middle eastern architecture.

Whether the puppy was dead or not, I don’t know, but these two boneheads are definetely Marines, even though I wish it weren’t so. The damage is done, and if this goes viral and hits the MSM it will undo the goodwill we have gained from the surge’s success.

It’s stupid that a few seconds of trash will set us back so far, but that is how it has always been, and Marines get briefed on that fact ad naseum. These morons chose to ignore the warnings, and now they should face a heavy price.

Ditto for anyone who posts a youtube video of any of their activities in Iraq, in my opinion. Act like warriors, not frat boys, or find a new profession.

joewm315 on March 3, 2008 at 11:03 PM

1. No patches or rank on the puppy thrower.

2. The jerk that pops into frame clearly has a digital cammo cover on his kevlar. Either the resolution is so bad that I can’t see it, or the puppy thrower doesn’t have a digital cammo cover. In fact, he doesn’t appear to have on desert BDUs or desert ACUs. I know for a fact that desert BDUs have no pockets on the sleeves.

3. Where is that “soldier’s” or “Marine’s” weapon?

4. The flak jacket puppy thrower is wearing is not MOLLE compliable.

Blarg the Destroyer on March 3, 2008 at 11:03 PM

FWIW, something about the yelping sounded fake – like it was coming from a source near the camera’s microphone, and not moving away from it. Could still have been a live animal, though, with overdubbing for effect.

Why would anyone want to videotape themselves even pretending to torture a puppy? Hopefully somebody is making an effort to identify the idiots in the video…

RightOFLeft on March 3, 2008 at 11:06 PM

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 10:57 PM
The flight suit do have Velcro patches but the Tanker Smocks do not. Most of the marines in my unit tried to get the Tanker over the flight because the tanker had a integral pull strap built into them that many believed would come in handy if they needed to be pulled out of the line of fire after becoming incapacitated.

Bigkatt on March 3, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Doubtful. The Iraqis view dogs like rats. I doubt that they’ll be moved by this.

Now, the population outside of Iraq will not like it. It feeds the “American soldiers are monsters” line that the anti-American left likes to promote.

These guys, if this is real, are stupid as well as venal.

SteveMG on March 3, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Question: I see no patches either,or US flag patch!

It does say, in the YouTube vid sidebar, that these guys might possibly be Blackwater…

JetBoy on March 3, 2008 at 11:07 PM

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 11:00 PM

That said, if it’s real these two bright lights will have some fun digging big holes in hard sand. Have fun guys.

funky chicken on March 3, 2008 at 11:08 PM

That was a live little puppy.

surrounded on March 3, 2008 at 11:12 PM