Video: How “The West Wing” prepared the way for Obama, and vice versa

posted at 10:36 pm on March 3, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via JWF, Hollywood tried this for Hillary but couldn’t quite pull it off. The Messiah, as usual, fared better. Starring Jimmy Smits as John the Baptist.

Comments

Well, Damn!

Agrippa2k on March 3, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Truly horrifying. Especially the ending (since I never bothered to watch the show). Thanks for ruining my late dinner. ;-)~

alamo tim on March 3, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Wow–scary ending!

jgapinoy on March 3, 2008 at 10:49 PM

haha, if nothing else this just shows jimmy smits is a crappy actor.

wrong, there IS a conservative america…and we’re pissed…

wryteacher on March 3, 2008 at 10:49 PM

“…trying to engineer the most appealing and formidable republican candidate possible”

I despise this “take it for granted that conservatives are not appealing and are somehow bad” attitude in Hollywood.

p40tiger on March 3, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Eh… I preferred it when John Goodman got to take over for an episode or two.

Sugar Land on March 3, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Okay…

Did I mention that it’s SNOWING here in Dallas on the eve of election day? A coincidence?

Vigilante on March 3, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Vigilante on March 3, 2008 at 10:51 PM

It’s a sign! Gore on the second ballot!

Big S on March 3, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Who watches that Hollywood circle-jerk?

Jaibones on March 3, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Ever notice how “one America” always requires the right to give up some sort of dispute? The Left is always morally superior, and thus we should all just live with their ideas, with no dissent!

Didn’t watch West Wing but Obama’s campaign going to be joining it on the ground next to the ashheap of history.

emailnuevo on March 3, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Kinda convenient they didn’t propose a woman (Clinton like) character for his opposition. Probably self censored (or strait up censored).

I may have to watch those episodes to see where the Democrats went wrong. Did they decide the racially fueled chaos wasn’t worth it?

That’s what it will come down to folks. Will they chance the loss of the black vote? I doubt they care. They are more concerned about the Obama long hairs, who frankly scare us all.

Agrippa2k on March 3, 2008 at 10:54 PM

heh… reality T.V.

Hog Wild on March 3, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Vigilante on March 3, 2008 at 10:51 PM

LOL!

D2Boston on March 3, 2008 at 10:57 PM

The Obama Character wins the White House, and becomes the biggest failure since Jimmy Carter. LMAO.

How about we save America and Obama from that that embarrassment and elect John McCain.

Chakra Hammer on March 3, 2008 at 11:00 PM

So,in the words of Styx,its a Grand Illusion!

canopfor on March 3, 2008 at 11:01 PM

I kinda think of the president in 24 a little bit when I see obama

jp on March 3, 2008 at 11:12 PM

I’m proud to say I never watched a second of that show. Alan Alda was their vision of a conservative? Let’s have Charlton Heston as the Greenpeace-affiliated head of the EPA.

joewm315 on March 3, 2008 at 11:12 PM

obama is fake and empty like a tv character. correct.

aso on March 3, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Okay…

Vigilante on March 3, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Dallas/FW is one of Obama’s strong areas. Heh. Young people won’t vote if it snows…or if it’s hot…or before 9am…or…

SouthernGent on March 3, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Obama plagiarized the West Wing!

WolkingsWorld.com on March 4, 2008 at 12:19 AM

wrong, there IS a conservative america…and we’re pissed…

wryteacher on March 3, 2008 at 10:49 PM

HAHA.

Theworldisnotenough on March 4, 2008 at 12:46 AM

So…the Obama campaign is a cheesy, heavy-handed, hyperdramatic, Democrat presidential administration-based television show.

This is a sad reflection on our society. Or at least one half of it.

Good Lt on March 4, 2008 at 1:13 AM

After reading the open letter to Obama, it becomes very evident that he’s not the right person for the job, is quite duplicitous, and doesn’t tell the truth when convenient.

waterfall on March 4, 2008 at 2:06 AM

Obama and that screeching harridan of a wife are just two examples of people who have used affirmative action and racial quotas in order to gain a privileged place in society.

It’s instructive to see that his wife, a Princeton graduate, seems to be stuck in a snit about being black in such a privileged institution. I would bet that she would never have attained entry to that school if it were not for a ginned quota system, and that knowledge drives her to attack the very system that she has benefitted from.
The sad part is how many more truly qualified people, often from far less advantaged backgrounds, were denied entry so she could gain entry and then bitch about it.

Disgusting, no matter how you look at it…

TexasJew on March 4, 2008 at 2:13 AM

Disgusting, no matter how you look at it…..

TexasJew on March 4, 2008 at 2:15 AM

So how much is this worth in a dollar amount? For the records–for Campaign Finance Reform.

ZRyan on March 4, 2008 at 2:46 AM

Salvation is–the STOP button. Those carefully-enunciated, A-B-C-simple bromides are nauseating.

I do not see
An “I hate Obama” America
Or an “I love Obama” America.
I see
A “Shvt the fvck up, Obama” America.

Kralizec on March 4, 2008 at 3:53 AM

Any chance we could get Obama to choose Bill Maher or Kos as the Dem VP candidate?

omriceren on March 4, 2008 at 4:26 AM

Just [not my] words!

By “predicted” they mean “scripted.”

geckomon on March 4, 2008 at 4:30 AM

Melaine Morgan got fired!!!!

daileyck1 on March 4, 2008 at 5:30 AM

Wag Da Taco

saved on March 4, 2008 at 5:51 AM

Well dang. No wonder I can’t ever seem to understand why the left is so stupid. I don’t watch TV enough to get my marching orders from hollyweird.

Guardian on March 4, 2008 at 6:40 AM

Lesson learned: for Democrats, being as fake as a TV character is enough. No qualifications necessary.

Halley on March 4, 2008 at 6:45 AM

Speaking of politically motivated NBC dramas, last night on Medium the plot centered around a Senator from Arizona who had been a POW in Vietnam, and while imprisoned, he and his other captives ate one of the other prisoners. Years later when one of the other former prisoners threatened to blackmail the Senator and the other former prisoners (all successful now), with the story of their cannibalism, they agreed to murder and dismember the blackmailer.

I kid you not. This may be a new low.

Dudley Smith on March 4, 2008 at 7:12 AM

Yep. Smits won the WH, but only barely, and mostly because of a national crisis on the eve of the election. It’s still early 2008. There will be international incidents, and national crisis’. There always will be. How the candidates do when they happen between now and November will determine the election. Meanwhile, I’m off to go vote for Obama in today’s primary here in Ohio! GO O!

scottm on March 4, 2008 at 8:01 AM

Yikes!!!!

Golfer_75093 on March 4, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Idealistic?? Yes, that is what Obama means when he tells voters in Ohio one thing on NAFTA and then tells the Canadians the exact opposite…

Idealistic ??? Yes, I guess that is what Obama means when he basically tells Iran it is OK to develop a nuke to eliminate the Jews

Idealistic ?? I guess that is what Obama meant by voting “present” rather than taking sides as an Illinois legislator

You know who is idealistic…that would be John McCain thinking that the Nixon administration would do all they could as quickly as they could to get the POW out of the Hanoi Hilton

georgealbert on March 4, 2008 at 8:55 AM

I wasn’t ready to make the leap to thinking Hollywood had scripted Obama’s campaign until last week’s announcement that he might consider appointing Republicans to cabinet posts. Perhaps this wasn’t a prediction as much as mass hypnosis?

Reader on March 4, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Yeah I did watch this and I hoped the Vinick (Alda) character would win and (for those who did watch it) Vinick did win the election in the script that was set to air!
What happened was that the VP for Santos died. The actor actually died – John Spencer. They had to work that into the script and in true liberal fashion they said “Well, we can’t have his friend die AND have him lose the election.” so they changed the ending. The shows leading up to the last one had Santos losing all the way up to a miraculous win.

DrM2B on March 4, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Alan Alda as a Republican?

Are you serious?

As I never watched the Worst Wing I am out of the loop.

How awful.

drjohn on March 4, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Obama should be played by Paris Hilton. They are both famous for simply being famous. Just fame, just words.

faraway on March 4, 2008 at 10:26 AM

I loved “The West Wing”. But frankly, Obama is no Santos. The former never strapped on a F/A-18 Hornet to protect America as a US Marine and constantly has at the least his #1 campaign surrogate talk America down + possible ties to the mob.

However, McCain = Vinick + service to America beyond most people’s dreams and in the real world, we’ll win.

HotAirJosef on March 4, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Is this really suprising from Hollywood, which brought us that steaming pile of poo where Gena Davis was the President?

Scott_T on March 4, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Damn, and I liked Jimmy Smits on NYPD Blue. How depressing.

Cylor on March 4, 2008 at 11:49 AM