Rumor: Rove wants Romney on the ticket

posted at 11:55 am on March 3, 2008 by Allahpundit

Says Novak, who also claims to have heard from Romney’s people that McCain promised Charlie Crist the VP nod in return for his endorsement in Florida:

A footnote: Karl Rove and other prominent Republicans are talking up a McCain-Romney harmony ticket despite personal dislike between the two presidential candidates. Romney also would have to overcome opposition to him going on the ticket by his closest advisers.

We’ve been down this road before vis-a-vis Coulter but since we’ve got some new readers via Captain Ed, let’s run through it again. Romney might bite at the offer since it’s the best leg up he could have on Huckabee, Jindal, Sanford, Pawlenty or whoever else is coming down the pike in 2012/2016, but what does he do for McCain? There’s no shortage of southern evangelical (read: *wince* non-Mormon) social cons around to help him shore up the base, none of whom come with the baggage of nasty exchanges with McCain at the debates and in ads. The only potential advantage he brings is money, which is no small thing when the GOP is taking a hellacious beating on fundraising, but Mitt’s not going to bankrupt himself to make Maverick president and his campaign fundraising wasn’t so prolific as to put him anywhere near the class of Hillary or Obama. He’s not going to deliver any northeastern states to McCain either. So what’s the angle here? Appeasing talk radio by putting a guy on the ticket whom none of them were especially passionate about until he became the only alternative to McCain?

Here’s a better question. Strictly from an electoral standpoint (i.e. not in terms of your own policy preferences), why is Romney a better pick than Huckabee? Silver tongue, tireless campaigner, social con cred, and just enough (shudder) economic populism to maybe steal a few undecideds from the Democrats in the center. I’m not asking if he’s the ideal pick, mind you, just why he’d earn fewer voters than Romney would on the ticket.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

It’s now Tuesday, March 4th (at least according to HotAir’s EST clock).

Let the record show that the 2008 Presidential Odds are:

New York Senator

5/1

Mike Huckabee

(R)

Former Arkansas Governor

500/1

I.E., the Las Vegas odds makers think Barack Obama will win. They think John McCain could win, but the odds are against it. They think Hillary is a 5-to-1 longshot, and they think Mike Huckabee has practically no chance (which they list as 500-to-1 odds).

OK, to all of the people who think I suffer “Severe and Persistent Mental Illness” I present the following challenge:

1) You accept the challenge before 5PM EST today.
2) If Huckabee does not win the general election in November, I donate $10 to the charity of your choice.
3) If Huckabee does win the general election in November, you donate $5,000 (the payoff on 500-to-1 odds) to the charity of my choice.

I am a man of my word, and I will take on any challengers who commit here in writing to the challenge.

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 12:10 AM

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Give it up.

Do you want to win this election or not?

Saltysam on March 4, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Yeah, hear it is. No wonder I couldn’t forget it. Look at the damn title! aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrtggggggg..

Conservative illuminati meet to decide: Is Mitt the chosen one?
posted at 5:39 pm on February 11, 2008 by Allahpundit
Send to a Friend | printer-friendly

To make it extra dismal, the meeting was held immediately after he dropped out at CPAC, bested by a guy who’s having trouble beating Mike Huckabee.

From the ashes of failure, a phoenix of new failure is born!

Some 50 stalwarts of the political right privately met with Mitt Romney minutes after he dropped out of the Republican nominating race to discuss the former Massachusetts governor becoming the face of conservatism, as Ronald Reagan became en route to his 1980 election win…

“The purpose of the meeting was for him to announce his willingness to fight shoulder to shoulder with true conservatives from here on out,” said political strategist Paul Erickson, who worked for Mr. Romney”s campaign. “He did just that.”…

“If someone had suggested a year ago and a half ago that we would be welcoming Mitt Romney as a potential leader of the conservative movement, no one would have believed it,” Mr. Keene said to open the meeting. “But over the last year and a half, he has convinced us he is one of us and walks with us.”…

“The movement needs someone of Ronald Reagan’s stature and Romney could fill that role,” [Jay] Sekulow told The Washington Times yesterday.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 4, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Hell yes I want to win it. However, with the two opponents he would face, it’s not really a necessity. Not to mention with Romeny on the ticket, a little bit of Mav would be lost forever. sob, sob.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 4, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Red Pill, psst gambling’s a sin.

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 12:18 AM

BTW how Obama is handling the Muslim question is how Romney should have handled the Mormon question. Obama keeps saying “Im a chrisitian and a believer in Jesus Christ” Romney never portraited it that way and it cost him. Obama is linkiing his beliefs to others. Romney needed to do that and failed to do that.

William Amos on March 4, 2008 at 12:20 AM

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 4, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Yeah well, at some point, he’s going to need to act like a President.

You can take the Senator out of the Senate, but you can’t take the….etc.

Saltysam on March 4, 2008 at 12:21 AM

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 12:18 AM

This bet is for His gain, not mine.

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 12:22 AM

funky chicken on March 4, 2008 at 12:18 AM

So, funky chicken, are you in, or are you going to “chicken out”?

…couldn’t resist.
:-)

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 12:24 AM

Pill:

Since your taking the odds, I take it you’ve lost your prior confidence?

Saltysam on March 4, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Then Aaron shall cast lots for the two goats: one lot for the LORD and the other lot for the scapegoat.

Leviticus 16:8 (New King James Version)

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Since your taking the odds, I take it you’ve lost your prior confidence?

Saltysam on March 4, 2008 at 12:26 AM

To the contrary. I am quite confident that Huckabee is the next President of the United States, and I’m willing to put my money where my mouth is.

I’m trying to see if anyone else will “man up” and put their money where their mouth is.

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 12:31 AM

Will you take straight odds?

$5000.00 straight up?

Saltysam on March 4, 2008 at 12:32 AM

$5000.00 straight up?

Saltysam on March 4, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Sideways…twisted…bent into the shape of a giraffe, I don’t care.

Limerick on March 4, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Saltysam, the challenge is what it is. Take it or leave it. It’s already a many-to-1 against me, as 500 different people could accept my challenge and I would be good for my word to all 500 people.

Exit Question:
Do you think the MSM has been “straight up” with Huckabee?

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Limerick on March 4, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Please clarify – are you in or not?

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Exit Question:
Do you think the MSM has been “straight up” with Huckabee?

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 12:47 AM

How else does one stay in without money?

Never mind, I already know your answer.

Saltysam on March 4, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Sorry mister. Limerick keeps his money not in his mouth, but in his wallet.

Do I think Huckabee has a chance. Only if something, God forbid, happens to Johnny Mac. Bar that….none. That said, I old enough not to play schoolyard ‘man-up’ games. Especially with George Washington. I’ll leave those kind of games up to you big boys.

Limerick on March 4, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Never know unless you ask!

Saltysam on March 4, 2008 at 12:55 AM

Limerick on March 4, 2008 at 12:53 AM

I’m chicken, too!

Saltysam on March 4, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Saltysam on March 4, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Survival of the fittest! (Ooops, sorry Red Pill…no pun intended)

Limerick on March 4, 2008 at 12:58 AM

It will be interesting to see if anyone accepts the challenge by 5:00 PM EST today.

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 1:00 AM

What’s the charity of your choice?

That might help a little.

Saltysam on March 4, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Ok, it is offically March 4 in Texas.

Vote. Vote for the Hillary of your choice, but vote!

G’nite.

Limerick on March 4, 2008 at 1:07 AM

What’s the charity of your choice?

That might help a little.

Saltysam on March 4, 2008 at 1:02 AM

If a lot of people accept the challenge, I might choose more than one charity, but to start with, Mercy Ministries would certainly be one of the charities.

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 1:14 AM

If Rove had anything to do with shamnesty, he has no right giving advice on how to hold together the GOP.

Halley on March 4, 2008 at 2:13 AM

Red Pill, why not just use Vegas? If you win, you can put the winnings toward paying the higher taxes we will have.

Conservative Voice on March 4, 2008 at 3:11 AM

Crist makes more sense than Romney or Huckster. Florida is a swing state with a lot of electoral votes, and Crist (though imperfect) is conservative enough not to further alienate conservative voters.
Hollowpoint on March 3, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Crist would be a good fit for McCain’s VP, but not for the reasons you cite. He won’t get the ever-dwindling conservative vote in Florida, and if he continues to bloviate on his favorite subject since his election — global warming (which he curiously didn’t mention during his campaign) — he won’t win the national conservative vote. The media and environmentalists love him now, but McCain’s camp had better vet the guy carefully, since his media buddies will be looking to rip him apart once named.

Crist is also great at the bipartisanship game, as he proved recently by offering to re-do the Democratic primary on the Florida taxpayers’ dime. All in all, a perfect match for McCain, and he appears to want the nomination badly.

Nichevo on March 4, 2008 at 7:19 AM

paying the higher taxes we will have.

Conservative Voice on March 4, 2008 at 3:11 AM

Stop believing everything the MSM tells you.

Michael Dale Huckabee is a man of his word, and this is what he says about taxes:

I support the FairTax.

As Governor of Arkansas, I cut taxes and fees almost 100 times, saving the taxpayers almost $380 million. I left a surplus of nearly $850 million, which I urged should go back to the people.

Our massive deficit is not due to Americans’ being under-taxed, but to the government’s over-spending.

To control spending, I believe the President should have the line-item veto.

I believe in free trade, but it has to be fair trade.

Globalization, done right, done fairly, can be the equivalent of a big pay raise by allowing us to buy things more cheaply.

I support making the Bush tax cuts (set to expire in 2010) permanent.

Furthermore, I believe that we need to expand upon these cuts by further reducing marginal rates on individual and corporate income, instituting credits for tuition, and eliminating the “death tax.”

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 7:32 AM

He’s a staffer for Lindsey Graham.

Saltysam on March 3, 2008 at 10:27 PM

He is Lindsay Gramham.

stenwin77 on March 4, 2008 at 9:09 AM

The only way I would consider voting for McCain at this point is if he at least had Romney on the ticket or someone even more conservative. If he goes after some soft, RINO Republican for VP, he will seal his fate as far as the election goes and no true conservatives will touch him.

Planet Boulder on March 4, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Just find some way to declare that Hirsi Ali was mysteriously born on a U.S. military base and is therefore a natural American citizen by right and Veep her.

She negates Obama’s blackness and Hillary’s woman-ness.

And she knows our existential enemy.

profitsbeard on March 4, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Planet Boulder on March 4, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Ditto that.

stenwin77 on March 4, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Nichevo on March 4, 2008 at 7:19 AM

Trust me…. There is no love for Charlie Crist among Firefighters, Police, Sheriff’s, or School Teachers anywhere in Florida.

Fires1 on March 4, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Well isn’t this just a fine little wishlist for Rove to have. Why couldn’t he come to this decision when Mitt was running for the top of the ticket?

Mitt ain’t Fred! but he is a damned sight better than McCain.

SimplyKimberly on March 4, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Mitt ain’t Fred! but he is a damned sight better than McCain.

SimplyKimberly on March 4, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Ditto that.

stenwin77 on March 4, 2008 at 4:09 PM

WAHOOOO!!!!! Post # 438!!!!!!

Jared_MA on March 4, 2008 at 4:25 PM

The proof is in the pudding. Romney was a strong 2nd to McCain, Huck was 3rd. Of all repubs in the country, Romney was 2nd. So like Reagan in 1980, McCain should pick the guy who came in 2nd as his #2.

Paul-Cincy on March 4, 2008 at 4:38 PM

How much more can “true conservatives” take? No. I’m being serious. The Main Stream Media and Republican establishment forces liberal friendly McCain on us… (sigh)… and NOW there’s talk Mr. Rove wants Romney on the ticket? This is a joke, right? Does anybody remember Romney tearing down McCain during the campaign? Replay the tape. Watch how they go at it…. pardon? You say what? Mitt was only joking? He really likes John. Are you sure? Hmm. That anger looked pretty real to me. Okay, well, does anybody remember to become President, a Republican must be able to win in the South? Hold on a minute…. I just remembered something. Didn’t the Heartland of America pick Mike Huckabee? Yeah, that’s right! Huckabee won primaries in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, West Virginia, etcetera. Romney lost the South. I mean he REally lost the South! They don’t want him. There’s more, but you gotta wonder how Romney could help a liberal leaning McCain in the general election? And you gotta wonder about the judgment of someone who thinks he can. Governor Huckabee is the best speaker and the most charismatic of the Republican candidates. He has a Reaganesque ability to communicate. He would bring in more conservative votes than Romney. Whoever asked, “Why is Romney a better pick than Huckabee from an electoral standpoint?” makes an excellent point.

apacalyps on March 4, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Why do you enlightened, intelligent people even respond to “the chosen one”? I wonder who chose him? Certainly he is so jealous of Mitt and his money, kind of like mccain and the the huckster are. As far as I know his sons are not laying around smoking pot and living off of the old man. They are all educated, married and doing well on their own. Get a grip “one”!

Bambi on March 4, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Y’all are being too hard on Mitt. I’m in the buckle of the Bible belt, and he has a lot of support here.

If the selling point is a competent ticket, ready for economic or tactical security leadership, the McCain Romney is the one. It is the only ticket that will let me sleep at night if elected. The rest are poseurs or not ready for prime time.

It’s all in the marketing. If these guys can kiss and make up, the American people can be convinced.

eaglesdontflock on March 4, 2008 at 6:25 PM

eaglesdontflock on March 4, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Hey, man, I respect your opinion, but that was one of the strangest things seeing Romney endorse McCain after the disagreements they had, and have. What does that say about Romney’s character. He flip-flopped for political reasons again. People are getting sicker to their stomachs by the day thinking that they may have to vote for Romney or McCain in the general. Many of them just won’t do it and I say good, don’t forsake your principles (like their political leaders do).

apacalyps on March 4, 2008 at 6:48 PM

…seeing Romney endorse McCain after the disagreements they had, and have. What does that say about Romney’s character”

What the tells us is that, unlike you, rather than tell everybody how “christian” he is, he actually acts like a real christian. Unless, forgive and forget is not part of whatever perverted form of christianity you practice…and based on your anti-christian (anti-mormon) rhetoric, your version of pretend-christianity is perverted indeed.

It is based on classy moves by Mitt, such as this, that led all the REAL conservatives (Rush, Hannity, Ingraham, Bill Buckley (national review)) to have supported him in the primaries.

Can you imagine Mitt doing anything as low class as advertising himself as a “christian leader”. pathetic.

Roger Waters on March 4, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Roger Waters on March 4, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Roger,
You like to act very Christian, but your actions betray you.

You told me that I am going to burn in hell…along with Huckabee and Stalin.

You told me that I am a child of Satan who will burn baby burn.

You want a real example of Christian behavior?
I forgive you, and believe it or not, I love you.

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 8:12 PM

apacalyps

I think if you want to spend time picking flyspecks out of the pepper, you can muse on the above for a while. I could ask the same about Huckabee, having a sludge like Ed Rollins on his staff, tossing out pejoratives regarding Romney’s religion.

From my perspective, Mitt Romney is a competent and trustworthy.prospective national leader. I’d like to see him use his gut sted of feeling around for the right direction or taking cues from his opponents. But hey, Huck and Fred do that on occasion tool

Mother Theresa isn’t running this year, so we fight with the Army we have.

eaglesdontflock on March 4, 2008 at 8:38 PM

I never ever ever ever said I was christian.

I just like to laugh at hypocritical religious bigots…you know the anti-catholics and the anti-mormons and on and on and on. I like to see them react when the shoe is on the other foot.

And I think I told you before, I dont click on your links…since you have posted anything worth reading yet.

Roger Waters on March 4, 2008 at 8:39 PM

RedPill,

By the way, arent you the clown that has been saying Schmuckabee (Satan) will be the next POS?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

What are you going to do when he announces on Wed or Thursday that has finally figured out the obvious. He is having a “planning” meeting you know.

Boy, you sure look stupid.

Roger Waters on March 4, 2008 at 8:43 PM

make that POTUS.

Roger Waters on March 4, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Roger Waters on March 4, 2008 at 7:52 PM

You silly man. Romney didn’t endorse McCain because he forgave him, he endorsed McCain because it was politically advantageous to him.

apacalyps on March 4, 2008 at 8:48 PM

Roger Waters on March 4, 2008 at 7:52 PM

No. Because Romney is not a Christian. He is a Mormon. And that’s fine by me. He can practice whatever religion he wants. It’s a free country.

Secondly, Huckabee didn’t advertising himself as a “Christian leader”, the media did.

apacalyps on March 4, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Roger, You like to act very Christian, but your actions betray you.

Red Pill on March 4, 2008 at 8:12 PM

I can feel the “hate” oozing out of him.

apacalyps on March 4, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Apacalyps,

Are you serious?? He himself advertised himself as a “christian leader” in television ads in Iowa. And at the end of those TV commercials a voice said “This is Mike Huckabee and I approve of this ad”. So, you are wrong…again.

And I like the way that you can see into Mitt’s heart and have decided he hasnt forgiven him. The truth seems to be that you are jealous. You look around your trailer park and Mitt Romney must make you ashamed. All that bull that your favorite televangelist has told you didnt work out too well…you are still a loser.

Hey RedPill, it was just announced that Schmuckabee the self-described “christian leader” is finally quitting tomorrow. It looks like Mitt will have more delegates even though Schmuck has been still in the race, like a buffoon, much longer than Mitt. So now you look like an ass, dont you?

Roger Waters on March 4, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Huck is giving his concession speech right now

Vntnrse on March 4, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Last night was March 4th.

The election is November 4th.

A lot can happen in 8 months.

I still believe that God will work a miracle and Mike Huckabee will be the next President of the United States. It won’t be by any man’s power, but by God’s power. This is all about giving God the glory. Mike is the only candidate who will give all of the glory and honor to Jesus Christ.

There are several Bible stories of God allowing His people to be mocked and scorned for a time, then come back in a stunning victory that glorifies Him.
Goliath taunted the armies of the living God for several days before David brought him down.

Jesus Christ was scorned, beaten, and crucified in what appeared to be utter defeat. But on the third day He rose again from the dead in glorious victory.

Red Pill on March 5, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Red Pill

I respect your views, although I don’t agree with your premise.

Jesus Christ admonishes us to avoid charlatans and evil throughout the New Testament. How do you reconcile Huckabee keeping company with the likes of Rollins, and others? Is that not in conflict with your views? Does the end justify the means in your evangelical view?

From what I have observed, McCain and Romney are at least as religious as Huckabee. The fact that they are not evangelical is not a barrier to their legitimacy.

I wonder how much you really know about Mr. Huckabee.

eaglesdontflock on March 5, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Ed Rollins is clearly no saint. Rollins was the one behind the anti-Romney add, but Huckabee, in his morning prayers, realized that the add needed to be pulled. Rollins was willing to let Huckabee teach him how to turn the other cheek, and Huck went on to win Iowa.

Rollins was the campaign manager behind Ronald Reagan’s landslide reelection in 1984. If anyone is able to recognize “the next Reagan”, it’s Rollins.

By the way, has anyone noticed that both Florida and Michigan are talking about doing “do-overs” of their Democrat primaries, just as I predicted? Keep in mind that in order to have clean and fair elections, you must wipe the slate clean on both sides, Democrat and Republican. Otherwise, you allow Democrats who “crossed over” and voted in the Republican primary to now vote a second time. One vote for McCain and a second vote for Clinton/Obama.

John McCain isn’t where he is now because of evangelical voters. He is where he is because of “crossover” voters – both Democrats voting for him and Republicans who voted for Clinton/Obama rather than voting for Huckabee. No matter how great your personal dislike for Mike Huckabee, I find it hard to fathom how a conservative Republican could be so deceived as to think they should use their primary vote to vote for either Clinton or Obama, rather than realize that Huckabee is “the next Reagan” who will, in fact, turn out to be even better than Reagan.

Red Pill on March 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM

add ad.

I originally wrote the text in Microsoft Word, which “helped” me out by changing “ad” to “add”.

Red Pill on March 6, 2008 at 12:15 PM