Limbaugh: I say again, vote for Hillary

posted at 1:24 pm on March 1, 2008 by Allahpundit

A futile follow-up to yesterday’s teeth-gnasher. He’s not claiming, as I have, that Hillary’s a better match-up for us in the general, although it’s safe to say he agrees. His argument is subtler: Because Obama is the liberal Messiah and thus the very incarnation of Absolute Moral Authority, he can only be safely attacked (and even then, not so safely) by someone with AMA of their own, i.e. a female Democrat. Compare, for example, Josh Marshall bending over backwards to urge caution in assuming the worst about Team Hillary’s racial politics to his moronic criticism of McCain for failing to control every last loose cannon on the right. Hillary, being among the Enlightened, has the benefit of a doubt not even the most mavericky conservative enjoys, so if someone’s going to bloody His Holiness it’ll have to be her. A toast, then, to a long and combative primary.

Comments

First!

Obama can only lose if McCain gets him to start talking about his specific policies. Since politics is the art of saying nothing, at length, he’s a shoo-in by that measure.

Math_Mage on March 1, 2008 at 1:27 PM

So is this the scariest set of pictures to grace the top of hot air, ever?

lorien1973 on March 1, 2008 at 1:33 PM

I’m an Independent in Ohio and agree completely. For this I can hold my nose on Tuesday. I may have to take 2 showers, tho.

tgillian on March 1, 2008 at 1:34 PM

What makes Rush think MkKain is even considering attacking any Democratic candidate? He already stated that his only intention is to have nice, civil, reach-across-the-isle discussions anyway. Which will persumably will ALL be about foreign relations, as he admittedly knows nothing about economics and more so admittedly cares not about social issies.

Aristotle on March 1, 2008 at 1:38 PM

tgillian on March 1, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I used tomato juice here in Texas. It works for skunk funk so I figured it would have to work for crossing over.

I’ll be so glad when it is Wednesday. Can’t turn the TV on here without watching Obama vanquishing lobbyists. More Kondos&Kondos, or WestwayFord commericals will be a welcome relief.

Limerick on March 1, 2008 at 1:38 PM

So is this the scariest set of pictures to grace the top of hot air, ever?

lorien1973 on March 1, 2008 at 1:33 PM

I would have to say YES to that, still traumatized by Pelosi’s rendition of The Joker. *shudder* Save that image for a later nightmare.

Sir Loin on March 1, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Btw, redlasso just crushed my Firefox.

Aristotle on March 1, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Wuh, didn’t feel like sticking that 3rd K in there so your point was more ridiculous?

He’s already attacked Obama on some of his statements. Just the other day, in fact. Keep up.

lorien1973 on March 1, 2008 at 1:42 PM

If the Republicans are going to treat Obama with kid gloves, then the country needs to keep Ol’ Hil in the race. Then she and her minions can t”bloody” the Liberal Messiah. Unlike conservatives who use their “internal” debates to forge strong positions based on “real” ideals, the Democrats just tear themselves apart like the selfish little children they appear to be.

Wildcatter1980 on March 1, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Aristotle on March 1, 2008 at 1:38 PM

McCain wants this as much as Hillary. If it comes becomes a question of throwing down on Obama in the general or getting his butt kicked again, he’ll let his ego do the walkin’. I don’t see him playing pattycake with Obama, regardless of the big O’s halo. When the big chips are shoved out into the center of the table, any of them will do what they have to. In McCain’s case, that means he has to ride Obama high/hard on foreign and fiscal policy. If he tries to go gentle, Obama will talk him to death.

a capella on March 1, 2008 at 1:48 PM

On health care, McCain has attacked pharmaceutical companies as “bad guys” who are using corrupt political influence to profit at the expense of the little guy–campaign rhetoric borrowed straight from one of John Edward’s “two Americas” tirades. McCain uses this rhetoric to support the re-importation of prescription drugs from Canada. The drugs are cheaper in Canada, but that’s because Canada has a system of socialized medicine that imposes price controls. So importing drugs from Canada is just an indirect way of importing socialist price controls.

But every student of economics knows that price controls tend to choke off the supply of new drugs. Why should pharmaceutical companies invest billions of dollars in research and testing over a period of decades, if the government is going to steal their profits by dictating arbitrary prices?

Apparently, John McCain doesn’t understand free-market economics and won’t stand up for the principle of economic freedom. So how is he supposed to stand up to the Democrats on any part of their socialized medicine agenda?

In addition to fighting the Democrats on socialized medicine, a Republican president would also have to fight in Congress for the extension of President Bush’s tax cuts, which are set to begin expiring in 2009 and 2010. A failure to extend these tax cuts (or to make them permanent) would mean a massive de facto tax increase. Yet McCain was opposed to the Bush tax cuts when they were first passed.

But the biggest problem for Republicans with McCain’s candidacy is his stance on global warming. McCain has been an active promoter of the global warming hysteria–for which he has been lauded by radical environmentalists–and he is a co-sponsor of a leftist scheme for energy rationing. The McCain-Lieberman Climate Stewardship Act would impose an
arbitrary cap on America’s main sources of energy production, to be enforced by a huge network of federal taxes and regulations.

The irony is that McCain won in South Carolina among voters whose top concern is the economy. Don’t these voters realize what a whole new regime of energy taxes and regulations would do to the economy?

No matter what happens, there is likely to be a huge debate in the coming years over global warming–whether it’s really happening, whether it’s actually caused by human beings, and what to do about it. But if the Republicans nominate McCain, that political debate will be over, and Al Gore and the left will have won it–thanks to John McCain.

And speaking of political debate, McCain is against it. The most notorious piece of legislation McCain has co-sponsored with the left is McCain-Feingold, which has the evil distinction of being the nation’s first direct attack on the freedom of political speech during an election campaign, precisely when such speech is most important.

For Republicans, there is one form of suicide worse than losing the 2008 presidential election–and that is winning it with a candidate who will put the pro-welfare-state, pro-regulation left in the driver’s seat of American politics. Yet that is precisely what Republican primary voters are unwittingly supporting when they vote for McCain.
- Robert Tracinski

MB4 on March 1, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Go Hillary! We need you to steal this.

Greenhorn on March 1, 2008 at 1:52 PM

You “conservative” people ridiculed Tancredo and did not support Hunter for months. You have no one but yourselves to blame for this mess.

petit bourgeois on March 1, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Oh please, please, please go for Hillary Rotten. I want to vomit vote for Her Thighness in my Indiana primary in May.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 1, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Agree with the McCain ego factor. This is his moment in the sun. You think Maverick is going to “play nice” when the MSM helps Obama “unleash hell” on him? Granted, he’s going to have to fight three times as hard to get through the cover fire the MSM will lay out for the Messiah. But no, I don’t expect Mav to stay hands off.

Sugar Land on March 1, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Obama would be an easier victory, however I would love to see a chaotic dem convention with Sharpton, Farrakhan and the “Nation”, Black Panthers, Code Pink, Cindy Sheehan, La Razza, Communists, NAMBLA, NOW, Chinese Bus Boys and Dishwashers, and militant Homosexuals duke it out in an all out Battle Royal.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 2:06 PM

petit bourgeois on March 1, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Obama would have them for lunch. McCain will have a tough enough time neutralizing the charisma.

a capella on March 1, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I don’t know. I’m thinking of voting for Hillary next week. Putting the general election aside, I actually DO trust her more as a commander-in-chief than Obama.

terryannonline on March 1, 2008 at 2:13 PM

The real damage will come if Hillary is close enough to be able to fight at the convention. Both sides will have the support to do whatever it takes to win. That fight has the potential of splitting the Democratic coalition for a long time to come no matter who wins the nomination battle.

TheBigOldDog on March 1, 2008 at 2:17 PM

First we have conservatives campaigning for McVain, who is about as conservative as Jim Jeffords, and now we have conservatives campaigning for the Hildebeest?

Can somebody please throw a rope down? I need to get out of this rabbit hole.

Oh sure, McVain will “crush” the Hildebeest in the general, right after he gets done complimenting her, telling everybody what a great C-in-C she would make. And after he figures out whether he’s a liberal and whether the debates will be dispirited or spirited, of course.

That bumbling old senile moron couldn’t debate himself out of a wet paper bag.

Misha I on March 1, 2008 at 2:17 PM

I laid out my nefarious plan to my HR Manager this week. I will vote for Hillary on tuesday, just to try to keep her in the race a little longer. I will carry a little baggie, and I expect to throw up, just a little, in my mouth. The HR Manager was not pleased. Bwahh ha ha ha ha ha!

Bigurn on March 1, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Can somebody please throw a rope down? I need to get out of this rabbit hole.

I think the country has turned dramatically left and it has nothing to do with McCain. Conservatives have to work with what we got and start the conversation from the introduction again. We can do it!

terryannonline on March 1, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Go Hillary! We need you to steal this.

Greenhorn on March 1, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Exactly. Just imagine what would happen to the Democratic party is she does… You think they hate Bush? BDS will be nothing compared to HDS…

TheBigOldDog on March 1, 2008 at 2:27 PM

a capella on March 1, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I doubt that he could go against Hunter, who has been in congress for a millenium and didn’t go to Harvard on a race quota. One of Goldwater’s best campaign points was that he was NOT from the Ivy League.

The “He can’t win” mantra you parrot just further supports my position. You failed to support a conservative, and this is what you get.

petit bourgeois on March 1, 2008 at 2:29 PM

terryannonline on March 1, 2008 at 2:13 PM

If I decide to crossover on Tuesday — and at this hour, I don’t actually know what I’m going to do — I will vote for Hillary for exactly that reason. Not merely to keep her campaign alive, but to give her the presidency. I view the Democratic nominating contest as the de facto general election, and it looks as if Texas will play a critical role in deciding the winner.

So if the choice is between Obama and Clinton — and that is the choice; McCain is irrelevant, a historical footnote — then it has to be Clinton, as much as I hate saying that. (Although the thought of another four or eight years of shenanigans from the Clenis is more than I can stand, which is why I don’t know what to do.)

paul006 on March 1, 2008 at 2:38 PM

terryannonline on March 1, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Yeah, I think there is a left tendency and McCain himself isn’t responsible for it. We’ve been putting a lot of moderate Republicans in office, because we feel they are more electable and better than any opposing democrat. The result is our pool of electable talent are moderates. I used to be fairly centrist, but watching Bush’s antics with Mexico, and his other compassionate conservative moves has shown me how that primes the pump that moves us further left. Not a pretty sight, and it is going to be very hard to move it back to the right. Entitlement programs are like flypaper.

a capella on March 1, 2008 at 2:40 PM

The newly-released February Pew poll has head-to-head match-up questions that also appear to match up well with the above analyses — and are roughly similar in their internals to the Fox and L.A. Times polls previously discussed here. In these three polls, there is a consistent pattern of McCain doing better with Democrats against Obama than he would against Clinton. The new Pew poll sheds some light here:

One-in-five white Democrats (20%) say that they will vote for McCain over Obama, double the percentage who say they would switch sides in a Clinton-McCain matchup (10%). Roughly the same number of Democrats age 65 and older say they will vote for McCain if Obama is the party’s choice (22%). Obama also suffers more defections among lower income and less educated Democratic voters than does Clinton.

In addition, female Democrats look at the race differently depending on the matchup. While 93% of women in the party say they would vote for Clinton over McCain, just 79% say they would support Obama over McCain.

A quarter of Democrats (25%) who back Clinton for the nomination say they would favor McCain in a general election test against Obama.

windansea on March 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM

I agree. As much as I hate to say it. I don’t know why conservatives are so convinced Hillary is so much easier to beat. If she wins the nomination… she would win someone who outspent her, had positive media coverage, and more charisma than she has in her finger. If she can win against that, what makes us think we could beat her?

terryannonline on March 1, 2008 at 2:46 PM

me neither, read Karl’s post at PW I posted above yours

Obama will be easier to take down, although propping up Hillary to continue the slugfest with Obama is fine by me.

windansea on March 1, 2008 at 2:50 PM

If she can win against that, what makes us think we could beat her?

terryannonline on March 1, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Indeed. But we can’t beat either of them, Terry. Look at the elements of intensity: fundraising, volunteers and turnout. On every score, both Obama and Clinton swamp us. It’s not even close. Add to that the changes in our culture and the nation’s demographics, and then consider what we put up: a pasty old man who can’t raise money, who lacks a vibrant organization of volunteers, and who variously elicits apathy or downright hostility from a significant portion of his own party.

It’s done. My hope is that we can keep enough Republicans in the Senate to mount a filibuster. For now, that’s the best we can do.

paul006 on March 1, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Voting for Hillary. Hope, Dreams and Change with Dreams really don’t cut it for me. ;)

I like reality, call me a Republican.

TexasBella on March 1, 2008 at 3:06 PM

By chance, is any other Texan here in Precinct 34 or Senate District 13? (If you’re not sure, look on your voter registration card. It has that information.)

If we’re going to crossover on Tuesday and vote for Hillary, we might as well go back that night and caucus for her too. I’d sure like to see a friendly face. Maybe we could pre-caucus and have coffee. Send email. Thanks.

paul006 on March 1, 2008 at 3:12 PM

paul006 on March 1, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Different precinct and district but your plan won’t work for me. Based on several of my neighbors I would be instantly recognized and run out of town on a rail. Self preservation kicking in here.

Limerick on March 1, 2008 at 3:34 PM

paul006 on March 1, 2008 at 3:12 PM

No offense there Paul, but all you’re probably going to come up with is a handful of crickets on that one.

TexasBella on March 1, 2008 at 3:38 PM

paul006 on March 1, 2008 at 3:12 PM

What precinct is 34?

I don’t know what precinct I’m in but I live Corpus Christi.

terryannonline on March 1, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Limerick on March 1, 2008 at 3:34 PM

LOL! That’s what I’m worried about, too. My neighbors also know I’m a Republican, and if I show up at a Democratic caucus, I know some of them are going to look at me cross-eyed — or worse.

That’s the thing about a caucus. You have to vote in public.

paul006 on March 1, 2008 at 4:00 PM

I’m not worried about it, I’ll vote in public. Thing is, I’m not in your precinct.

TexasBella on March 1, 2008 at 4:06 PM

So is this the scariest set of pictures to grace the top of hot air, ever?

lorien1973 on March 1, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Huh?

You mean Rush and Her Loveliness, Laura Ing?

Jaibones on March 1, 2008 at 4:40 PM

As for Obama as a candidate in the general election, I don’t understand why the sharp wits on the American center-right can’t just laugh him out of town. It seems that the way to bring Obama down is to refuse to take him seriously–not because he’s black, for heaven’s sake, but because he’s a clown and an empty suit, running as a serious man and a messiah.

Kralizec on March 1, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Limbaugh: I say again, vote for Hillary

Rush is really beginning to jump the shark. Texas conservatives have the power to end Hillary’s presidential ambitions (at least for the foreseeable future) and they should relish that opportunity.

Mike Honcho on March 1, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Rush is no fool. He’s basically advocating a contested democratic primary as long as possible to build an advantage for the republicans. It’s tactics over ideology.

Relax.

JAW on March 1, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Mike Honcho on March 1, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Dumb, dumb, DUMB, Rush hasn’t jumped the shark, he’s trying to get people to use their heads for once this election. Hillary is the weaker candidate, and if we can prop her candidacy up so she can limp to the convention and maybe pull in enough superdelegates to be the nominee, or possibly bludgeon the DNC with the disenfranchised FL and MI.

We need to at least try and keep the left as disorganized as possible. Unfortunately the GOP across the board is made up of tactical and strategic retards who are letting emotional Hillary-hate override their brain, so Rush is probably shouting into the wind, and people will cross over to finish the Hildebeest off in TX and OH. However they shouldn’t.

doubleplusundead on March 1, 2008 at 7:39 PM

petit bourgeois on March 1, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Then we also had a shot at Mitt. They don’t call this the ‘stupid party’ for nothing. McCain is such an obnoxious ahole, his holier than thou attitude, talking down to the base, etc. Gonna be a long 5 years.

cjs1943 on March 1, 2008 at 7:41 PM

First!

Math_Mage on March 1, 2008 at 1:27 PM

“Glittering Generalities” is the phrase I learned in high school civics class. Bill Clinton won his election and re-election on glittering generalities. Anything he got specific about he was ravaged (healthcare takeover) or never delivered on (tax cuts for the middle class).
Obama is taking the speaking in Glittering Generalities to the PhD. level. He is the master of “hope” and “change” while not wanting to be too specific on what the change will be. He is the dictionary definition of what is a “Blowhard Politician”. Look it up, you will see his picture there.

jimbo2008 on March 1, 2008 at 7:51 PM

tgillian on March 1, 2008 at 1:34 PM

One for each vote, I hope. Vote early and often for Hillary! ;-)

SouthernGent on March 1, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Mike Honcho on March 1, 2008 at 5:46 PM

doubleplusundead on March 1, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Especially since the Dems & Indies selected our candidate this year, the least we could do is make their selection process more difficult. With all the open primaries, and the fact McCain’s been successful only in those states (and not with the conservative base), it’s quite clear they’ve manipulated the loopholes. Therefore, I think the open primary in Texas can be open for “assistance” this Tuesday.

Miss_Anthrope on March 1, 2008 at 9:38 PM

So, let me see if I have got this straight: I am supposed to vote for Hillary, a crook and socialist, in order to help out McCain, an elitist and a back-stabber? Yeah, whatever.

ChartreuseDragon on March 1, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Personally I don’t think McCain is capable of beating either Hillary or Obama next November but I’m damned sure that Obama scares me more than Hillary.

Buzzy on March 1, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Unfortunately the GOP across the board is made up of tactical and strategic retards…

Unfortunately, you’re right.

Misha I on March 1, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Keeping the Clinton machine alive to fight another day is the “strategically retarded” move. The Clintons live for campaigning. They’ve proven to be resilient and they know how wage ruthless, brutally effective campaigns. Senator Obama is a political as well as policy lightweight. Better odds with him in the general election.

As far as the notion that McCain can’t beat Obama, well the most recent polling data suggests otherwise. Obviously a lot can change between now and November, but the situation is far, far from hopeless.

Mike Honcho on March 1, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Yep.

Obama needs his nose bloodied. And if we want issues to dominate the election, then Hillary has to be the one to do it.

Plain to see.

Saltysam on March 2, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Saltysam on March 2, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Ahh!!!!!!

Terrible sentence. Sorry!

Obama needs his nose bloodied, and if we want issues to dominate the general election, then Hillary has to be the one to punch him. (B

Saltysam on March 2, 2008 at 12:02 AM

“Which is how we ended up with a senile, drooling, drunken old unelectable Captain Queeg as our candidate.

Unfortunately, you’re right.

Misha I on March 1, 2008 at 11:15 PM”
And how we ended up with a bunch of insane, lunatic fringe asshats in our party who would rather enable our retreat in the GWOT than give up having something to bitch about.

Squid Shark on March 2, 2008 at 1:38 AM

It is in Rush’s interest for Hilary to win. He, not to mention all right-wingers will have a hell of a time calling out Obama on anything without the race card being attached to them. Fact is, Obama is untouchable. Hillary equals 4 more years of great material for Rush.

To put it bluntly, a win for Obama equals the death of right-wing voices for the next four years.

etan on March 2, 2008 at 2:25 AM

“to Harvard on a race quota. ”

WOW! what a disgusting assertion. Where is your proof that this is how Obama got into Harvard.

This kind of crap is why Republicans have trouble being taken seriously, it plays right into the medias hands.

Squid Shark on March 2, 2008 at 7:48 AM

Florida and California are both closed primaries. Did it ever occur to you that maybe (shocking I know) the “purists” might be OUTNUMBERED? I know you Movement Conservatives think that this party is exclusively yours, but Reagan brought us together in a COALITION, and we always knew that it would be the Movement Conservatives who would take their lollipops and go home when it you dont get your way (96).

Squid Shark on March 2, 2008 at 7:55 AM

One thing to remember…

If it’s hot and nasty going in to the Dem convention, then the supporters of whoever DOESN’T win the nod will be furious. Obama supporters will think it’s racism and fixing, while many Hill supporters will say the result is anti-woman and an inexperienced upstart got it. The nastier it gets, the less motivated to vote the side that lost will be.

That being said, McCain is terrible and I don’t want him in office. He’s rude, arrogant, holier than thou and not particularly bright in some key areas, like economics.

It’s a pretty kettle of fish we have here…

linlithgow on March 2, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Misha I on March 1, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Somebody find those strawberries!!!

MB4 on March 2, 2008 at 8:24 PM