Video: “Iron Man,” the extended trailer

posted at 11:44 am on February 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

An early bootleg circulated last summer. Here’s the new one, in which we’re asked yet again to accept Robert Downey Jr. as the savior of mankind. The more I watch, the better I like him: Have we ever had a sardonic superhero? They’re usually either earnest (Christopher Reeve) or brooding (Keaton and Christian Bale), and either way just sort of … flat. Clooney was kind of sardonic but he’s too much the leading man to pull off the winking, “I can’t believe they cast me either” vibe Downey’s projecting here. It’s as if they gave super powers to Chandler from “Friends.” Can’t. Wait.

Add to My Profile | More Videos

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Don, I remember the Nick Fury who looked like Reed Richards’ evil twin too, but Ultimate is modeled after Sam Jackson.

DrSteve on February 29, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Sweet mother of god.

That is the most badass trailer I’ve seen since Transformers.

…and I loved Transformers.

Man, they even end the trailer with THAT song. I didn’t think that they’d have the guts to use it. (Or Ozzy’s permission)

Jones Zemkophill on February 29, 2008 at 8:18 PM

They got Spiderman right. Things are looking up for Ironman too.

Cool.

Mojave Mark on February 29, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Flying suit-check

nano-tech miniture nuke warheads-check

Impress the girls-check

and comes in Warrior Red,Yup sign me up!haha

canopfor on February 29, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Also Who really thinks Cap got Killed??
JVelez on February 29, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Dead dead dead.
But they’ll bring him back.
Just no more “One More Day” retcons, please.

SouthernDem on February 29, 2008 at 9:47 PM

I think i just, um… never mind.

*takes off clothes and puts them in the washing machine*

Mistahtibbs on February 29, 2008 at 10:03 PM

I quite liked the “I want to protect the people I put in harms way” line, but it’s nice to see enough people feel so patronised that they’re already writing the whole film off as ‘crap’

They must’ve really hated Rambo back in the 80s, too..

This looks like good fun.

Reaps on February 29, 2008 at 10:38 PM

A strong finish to that trailer. Iron Man stalking away before the tank explodes, knowing he hit the target. Then the Ozzy chaser. ::chills:: I’ll have to take my son to see it. Can’t see getting the wife to the theater.

Mallard T. Drake on March 1, 2008 at 1:56 AM

Guys, I have to say, this movie looks AWESOME. I’m a huge fan of comics, and this looks great.

Also, some worrying about anti-Americanism, when I heard that line I worried a bit too, but then I remembered a preview I saw for a movie tie-in comic that was written by the guy who directed it (Jon Favreau).

In it, Tony Stark is on a plane. A suicide bomber tries to hijack it. He grabs the guy as IRON MAN and flies him out of the plane. The terrorist blows himself up anyway. When Iron Man returns to the plane to tell everyone to stay calm, they yell at him (“Opressor! He was willing to negotiate! Go back to America!” or something along those lines). Turns out the plane was a French flight.

That preview, which I think was in Iron Man #25, gave me hope that this movie won’t be too liberal, if much at all.

Gunhaver on March 1, 2008 at 2:17 AM

Looks pretty good to me :)

ThinkingForMyself on March 1, 2008 at 10:26 AM

This movie, however, is going to be crap. I don’t care if you’re a superhero or not; members of the U. S. Armed Forces have voluntarily signed contracts to put themselves in harm’s way to keep YOU safe. Anyone who wants to “protect the military” does not deserve my movie ticket. And it just sets the very predictable tone for the rest of the film.
q2600 on February 29, 2008 at 1:36 PM

So providing the best tools available doesn’t count as protecting the military? So we should just them out with sharp sticks since they signed up to protect us?

I guess it really depends on how negative you want to view the line. I took it as “I want to provide them with better tools and support” not “They can’t handle things themselves so I better step in”.

darury on March 3, 2008 at 11:51 AM