Mukasey to Pelosi: I’ve Got Your Contempt Right Here

posted at 9:47 pm on February 29, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Attorney General Michael Mukasey has informed Nancy Pelosi that he will not enforce the contempt citations issued by the House last week. He informed the Speaker that neither Josh Bolten nor Harriet Miers committed any crimes, and therefore the Department of Justice didn’t really see the need to prosecute them:

U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey refused on Friday to pursue contempt citations issued by the House of Representatives against a current and a former White House aide for not cooperating in a probe of the firing of U.S. attorneys.

Saying no crime was committed, Mukasey rejected a request by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to refer the citations to a federal grand jury investigation of current White House chief of staff Josh Bolten and former White House counsel Harriet Miers.

“The Department has determined that the non-compliance by Mr. Bolten and Ms. Miers with the Judiciary Committee subpoenas did not constitute a crime, and therefore the Department will not bring the congressional contempt citations before a grand jury or take any other action to prosecute Mr. Bolten or Ms. Miers,” Mukasey said in a letter to Pelosi.

The next step will be for the House to file a lawsuit against the DoJ to force them into prosecuting the citations. That gets into some sticky areas of the law. The concepts of executive privilege have not fully been tested in the courts, and until now both elective branches have done their best to avoid an all-out legal confrontation.

In this case, though, the House has been itching for a fight. The White House has offered to meet the committee members partway, but they have insisted on demanding that the Bush administration give up its claim on executive privilege instead — which no one ever believed they would do. Mukasey found that Bush’s use of executive privilege meets legal requirements.

Now the courts will have to make a decision that will make one branch or another very unhappy, and for a very long time — all over terminations that were obviously in the purview of the executive, and after a fishing expedition that produced nothing more than an incompetent AG. Thankfully, we have a much more talented replacement at the helm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hooray For Mukasey!

E.Tex on February 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Ya gotta love lawyers as politicians. Me thinks Shakespeare was on to something.

swami on February 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Law? Laaaaw? Nancy don’t need no stinking law! This is about doing what she was elected to do. Which is… uh… to stop the war… and uh… global warming…and maybe give Iran enough cover to finally get the kinks worked out of that pesky nuclear weapon. Hey, girl’s just doing what she went there to do. Word.

Sugar Land on February 29, 2008 at 9:57 PM

The Soup on E Channel: Best show on Television, period.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Congress seems more interested in playing the court than writing law, between this and the stupid hearings over baseball makes me think that Congress doesn’t have a basic understanding of what their responsibilities are or have a real sense of priority.

Conservative Voice on February 29, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Sugar Land on February 29, 2008 at 9:57 PM

You forgot that girls also want to have fun.

F15Mech on February 29, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Great title, Ed. Captures it.

Christoph on February 29, 2008 at 10:03 PM

all over terminations that were obviously in the purview of the executive

You say, some sticky areas of the law. Wouldn’t the front of the argument be just that, executive privilege? Isn’t what the house is doing amounts to nothing more than a frivolous lawsuit?

Kini on February 29, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Who elected this bimbo that never wants to tackle America’s problems. Seems she is only interested in trying to pick the locks on closet doors to see if there are any skeletons inside. She’d best be looking in her own closet.

Hammie on February 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM

The Legislative branch does not have a legal leg to stand on to use the judicial branch to force the executive branch to use the judicial branch to enforce the legislative branches citation on the executive branch. (Wow that was a long sentence.) Perhaps Nancy has heard the term seperation of powers.

Jacob Hammond on February 29, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Nancy will get so mad that the plastic will start to run and she will need another botox injection.

PappaMac on February 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM

I swear on my mother’s eyes:

Pelosi was hammered f’d up during the last State of the Union address. Crossing pills and red wine.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 10:09 PM

At least there are a few adults left in Washington, D.C.

Entelechy on February 29, 2008 at 10:14 PM

I really don’t understand what this is all about. Is it all one big pander to the netroots? Marxist derangement? What? The President fires some at-will employees, of the same sort that Clinton fired more widely, I’ve seen nothing even hinting at anything untoward in that connection, and it’s a big issue for Congress why? It just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Splunge on February 29, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Well, glory be. Thank heaven for small favors.

petefrt on February 29, 2008 at 10:22 PM

It just doesn’t make any sense to me.
Splunge on February 29, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Nor me.
Why were Democrats in Congress so exercised about these particular firings?
I haven’t seen any explanation, not even an insane conspiracy rant.
It isn’t damaging the Bush administration much politically, so why pursue it with such vigor?

billy on February 29, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Dems being dems. Pelosi doesn’t have a clue how to get anything done, so she just whines and complains. No wonder the approval rating is so low.

R D on February 29, 2008 at 10:26 PM

The House of Representatives lead by the “colorful” Pelosi just last week allowed a terrorist wire tapping law to expire and used that time that could have been spent passing the law again, but noooo… they are pursuing hearings to see if retired baseball players are roided up or if they can question presidential advisors who are protected by presidential privilage.

I got a Congressional hearing suggestion. Congress needs to hold a hearing on why a group of government workers making a minimum of $150,000 a year isn’t doing thier job. They aren’t hard to find, it’s the U.S. Congress.

Hog Wild on February 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Good stuff. Mukasey seems to follow in the tradition of The Stache.

Jaibones on February 29, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Oh my,eight months to the generally and the Liberals
have cornered the rope market,give-em more rope,and
the Liberal Party keeps giving!

One would think,I’m no campaign stratagist,but why are the Lib’s going out of their way to p!ss everybody off before the election,but by all means don’t hold back give-em all
the rope they need!

And the best part,hehe is Obama is telling us what and he
will and won’t do,so Liberals keep talkin!

canopfor on February 29, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Every time that dipstick Pelosi opens her mouth I just want to kick her teeth in. She makes me ashamed of being from Califorina. God I wish we had term limits here.

limowilliam on February 29, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Mukasey found that Bush’s use of

executiveprivilege

meets legal requirements.

I don’t recall complaints about this use of executive privilege.
Check last para.

News2Use on February 29, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Finally. Somebody at Justice with bollocks.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 29, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

All Congresses and Parliaments have a kindly feeling for idiots, and a compassion for them, on account of personal experience and heredity.
- Mark Twain’s Autobiography; also in Mark Twain in Eruption

Entelechy on February 29, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Law,Laaw….

Sugar Land on February 29,2008 at 9:57PM.

Sugar Land:The first women speaker in history,the most
powerful women in all the galaxies as far as
the Hubble telescope can see.

She couldn’t even properly clean the freezer
of all that money that her Liberal counterpart,
Jefferson couldn’t explain.

And,she couldn’t even get the house clean,
because she was too busy reading a book,during
Bush’s last address speech!

Yup,so whats a girl to do!hahahahahaha.

canopfor on February 29, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Pelosi is a flaming leftist ass and neither Mukasey or any other part of the administration should give an inch. Furthermore, that entire Democratic controlled congress is a complete waste of our time and money. This poor sick Republic is in serious trouble.

rplat on February 29, 2008 at 10:47 PM

This reminds me of the questioning period into Pelosi’s
tuna company.

Barney Frank was in charge,as Barney would say who’s
got the gavel now,we don’t need no stinkin questions
regarding,Nancy.That episode,was fun to watch!

canopfor on February 29, 2008 at 10:50 PM

And once again it is Entelechy for the win.

Only Twain/Entelechy could illustrate my contempt for congress.

F15Mech on February 29, 2008 at 10:51 PM

And once again it is Entelechy for the win.
Only Twain/Entelechy could illustrate my contempt for
congress.
F15Mech on February 29,2008 at 10:51PM.

F15(Strike Eagle)Mech:You sir,are correct,I second
the motion!

canopfor on February 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Perhaps Nancy has heard the term seperation of powers.

Apparently not, as her trip to Syria clearly demonstrated.

IrishEyes on February 29, 2008 at 11:06 PM

canopfor on February 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Thanks for the E model reference, however I only worked on the C/D models.

The C/D model is a bad ass jet that needs to be reconed with.

F15Mech on February 29, 2008 at 11:18 PM

When she made that trip I kept hoping some terrorist would blow her up. Oh hold it they actually like her, NOT.

limowilliam on February 29, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Conservative Voice on February 29, 2008 at 10:01 PM

I am more inclined to believe that the members of Congress have too much time on their hands and have to invent make work so they look like they are doing something other than warming a chair or a microphone.

belad on February 29, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Isn’t the House usurping another branch of government’s role here (The Judiciary) in subpoenaing peope, holding hearings and issuing contempt citations?

The “separation of powers” should have prevented this from ever occuring.

They are not judges. The House is not a court.

Who ceded them the Judiciary’s rights?

profitsbeard on February 29, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Listening to Neil Young doesn’t make me Liberal, does it?

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Thanks for the E model reference…
F15Mech on February 29,2008 at 11:18PM.

F15Mech:Well thats cool,and cooler that you work
in the US Airforce!

canopfor on February 29, 2008 at 11:36 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Just your choice of music :}

I like some of Ol’Neils music also. But he’s from Canada and can’t help himself.

No offense canopfor, k!

Kini on February 29, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Who ceded them the Judiciary’s rights?

profitsbeard on February 29, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Dude, good point! Lets make up the laws when they don’t work for us.

I’m mentally picturing a child stamping their feet and holding their breath.

Entelechy on February 29, 2008 at 10:43 PM
NICE!!!

Kini on February 29, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Can’t the AssHats in the H of R (Pelosi) be charged with dereliction of duty or something to that affect?

PappaMac on February 29, 2008 at 11:48 PM

That female is an embarrassment to all women! This will is the most UNethical congress in our history!

Proudvet on February 29, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Dems were elected to get some work done. They seemed to have a mandate to do something.
Turns out their real agenda was to investigate everyone but themselves. They have wasted and continue to waste time and money.
If we were at war, and if we had a social security system that was broken, and if 65% of our budget was called intitlements and was uncontrollable, and if we had a growing deficit/debt, then I think the Americans would be mad at Ms. Pelosi and her team. The approval rating of Congress would even be very low…..
Come to think of it.

sullyntexas on February 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Listening to Neil Young doesn’t make me Liberal, does it?

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 11:31 PM

It depends. “Down by the River,” no problem. “Cinnamon Girl,” likewise. Even “Powderfinger” gets a pass in my book. But if “Impeach the President” is your song of choice, then there’s a problem.

Splunge on February 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM

At least wasting time trying to do Judiciary’s job is keeping Congress from passing even more damaging legislation. True, it’s a total waste of taxpayer’s money to hold hearings on baseball he-said-he-said gossip and legal termination of Executive’s staff. And it does keep Jefferson and other corrupt politicians off the front page.

F15Mech: Thanks for serving!!! The C/D’s a hell of a weapon system. The E/F’s pretty amazing, too.

Perfesser on February 29, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Nancy Pelosi is a “that thing that Jane Fonda said.”

D2Boston on March 1, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Splunge on February 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM

lol. So true. So true. I actually just got done jammin out to Powderfinger, what a song. I never understood why a Canadian was so concerned about domestic affairs here. It’s almost like
he thinks he’s one of us.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 12:03 AM

The U.S. Constitution established three separate but equal branches of government, the legislative branch (which makes the law), the executive branch (which enforces the law), and the judicial branch (which interprets the law).

Speakup on March 1, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Nancy Pelosi is a “that thing that Jane Fonda said.”

D2Boston on March 1, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Am I crazy(don’t answer that question), but didn’t she look hammered during the last SOTU? I used to be a major drug addict. I know f’d up when I see it, and she was plastered. Red wine and pills I would guess.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Mukasey rules

Domino on March 1, 2008 at 12:22 AM

I used to be a major drug addict.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Perhaps you shouldn’t have quit.

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 12:23 AM

I know she had a bad day so I just dropped her a note.
Why don’t you guys send your condolences too…

JoeAvg on March 1, 2008 at 12:24 AM

How Pelosi can sleep at night is beyond my comprehension. She is more concerned with revenge and exercising power over the other party than she is with DOING HER JOB. Maybe we can accuse Al Qaeda or illegal immigrants of using steroids… perhaps then Pelosi & Company would pay attention to some issues that actually MEAN SOMETHING.

I swear if I ever meet her in person I will slap the plastic off of her face and claim self-defense. After all, she refuses to protect America.

cannonball on March 1, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 12:23 AM

Hey Sam. What’s up my friend? Good to see you haven’t lost you r keen ability to flatter.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 12:30 AM

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Just reading. Not writing much. Couldn’t resist.

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 12:31 AM

How Pelosi can sleep at night

How Pelosi can sleep at night

She doesn’t. That’s when she leaves the cave in search of human blood.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Prediction: Watch what happens when it gets into federal court. I’m not sayin’. I’m just predictin’… Pelosi ain’t a gonna like it. Watch. Wait for it.

ilitigant on March 1, 2008 at 12:34 AM

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 12:31 AM

If your not for talking, at least go to the above time on the prince harry thread on the left side home page and please tell me if I am funny. If you thought my carrot comment was solid, you’ll probably get a kick. I’ve been getting hell all day for being bold with my gigglebility.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 12:37 AM

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Genuine Bold Gigglebility.

I think you are ready, Grasshopper.

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 12:55 AM

F15Mech:Well thats cool,and cooler that you work
in the US Airforce!

canopfor on February 29, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Just to set the record straight…

Did work (aka past tense) in the USAF.

F15Mech on March 1, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Still wiping the tears from my eyes.

(The Romney stuff was too forced, though. Stay with your point.)

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 12:58 AM

The only contempt here is the contempt shown by idiots like Pelosi and Conyers for the American public, and for the best interests of this country.

It is depressing that so few Americans actually pay enough attention to what is going on in Washington to realize what’s at stake here. While the critically important FISA reform bill is not brought up for a vote in the house — where it would surely pass — Pelosi & Co. spend their time in venal self-gratification. Their legislative equivalent of masturbation includes such pointless frivolity as (a) worrying about Roger Clemens and steroids, and (b) pursuing the dead horse of so-called “political” discharges of U.S. Attorneys using unconstitutional means. And then there’s the so-called effort to deal with skyrocketing gasoline prices by passing a measure that would greatly increase taxes and costs to the major oil companies.

If you hired the top sitcom writers in Hollywood, you couldn’t invent as ridiculous and comical a story.

Where is the outrage?

VG

Voiceguy on March 1, 2008 at 1:16 AM

Where is the outrage?

Voiceguy on March 1, 2008 at 1:16 AM

Bereft.

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Nancy’s head is going to explode in 3…2…1…

realitycheck on March 1, 2008 at 1:31 AM

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 12:58 AM

Gosh. Thank you. From all the negative feedback, there was a little doubt starting to creep. You made my day. The Romeney stuff was off point, but I tried to tie in that whole legacy/aristocracy theme, but your probably right. Dance with the whore that brought ya.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 1:36 AM

Suweet!!!

oakpack on March 1, 2008 at 1:38 AM

While the other soldiers were hovering together to keep warm in a foxhole, Harry had his own barracks loaded with toys, stuffed animals, a bubble blowing machine, twister, and had one of those beds that looks like a racecar.

Favorite line.

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 1:44 AM

I know, I know. I should be on a different thread.

Apologies to all.

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 1:46 AM

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 1:46 AM

How’s that Hillary commercial playing out in the lone star? It in my opinion was her best piece, and Obama like an idiot gave it validity by responding with a copycommercial which sucked really bad. He had better put her away down there or this, could go all the way to the convention with Farakhan/Sharpton “No justice, no peace” sit ins. If I ever needed material, now that the Romeneys are out of the race, it would be a infinite resource.

Oh yeah, if they ban me tomorrow, make sure my legacy is remembered.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 1:54 AM

Hammie on February 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM

She doesn’t have to look. She is known to reminisce about her childhood as a ward healer in Baltimore, while in elementary school. Her father, Big Tony D’Alesandro, and then her brother, Little Tony, were the successive political bosses in the good old days.

burt on March 1, 2008 at 1:57 AM

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 1:36 AM

Have you noticed? People are beginning to ignore you.

Ugly on March 1, 2008 at 3:08 AM

Sugar Land on February 29, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Nancy Pelosi after realizing she was too incompetent to get her agenda rammed through in the first 100 days, lowered her expectations greatly and made a McCain-esque vow to try and ram her agenda through even if it takes 100 years.

BKennedy on March 1, 2008 at 3:51 AM

I swear on my mother’s eyes:

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 10:09 PM

I thought the same thing Chosen. She always looks like she is on to some type of a buzz but that night it looked really bad.

JonRoss on March 1, 2008 at 6:33 AM

I swear on my mother’s eyes:

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 10:09 PM

JonRoss on March 1, 2008 at 6:33 AM

No, that’s just her face. She’s always liked that. It’s part and parcel to being a San Fran Sicken.

BKennedy on March 1, 2008 at 6:44 AM

Hammie on February 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM

The majority of your fellow Americans, your neighbors, co-workers, friends, family members, clergymen, etc. And they probably will again, and a democrat President to boot. The problem isn’t with Congress or Pelosi sir.

JiangxiDad on March 1, 2008 at 6:49 AM

JiangxiDad on March 1, 2008 at 6:49 AM

No, Pelosi was elected by SAN FRANCISCO.

She was appointed speaker of the House by a Democrat controlled congress that values novelty over competence.

I never voted for Pelosi, and I bet no one outside the Bay Area would.

BKennedy on March 1, 2008 at 7:07 AM

No offense canopfor,k

Kini on February 29,2008 at 11:42PM.

Kini:None taken,A-OK:)

canopfor on March 1, 2008 at 7:23 AM

I think it should be official. The Iraqi legislature has done more than our own! Time to pull out of D.C. and end our support for this corrupt government.

Jimmybob on March 1, 2008 at 8:23 AM

From CNN: “The suit had a political purpose too. Democrats have urged that the filing occur swiftly so that a judge might rule before the November elections”

SoulGlo on March 1, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Yes, the problem is with Pelosi and congress, but the behavior of the electorate is also quite problematic.

rplat on March 1, 2008 at 8:52 AM

One wonders what makes Nancy Pelosi tick! She seems bent on causing trouble where ever and whenever she can. I wonder why the people of her area, no matter how liberal, cannot see this. I would think that anyone would want her out of office. Her whole aim seems to be to cause disruption where there was little or none. What is it she is trying to prove?

jeanie on March 1, 2008 at 9:14 AM

To think that the Pelosicrats complain about the “political situation” in Iraq not meeting their expectations. Maybe Madame Speaker is their role model.

I really would like someone to stick a mic in Obama’s face on this topic:

Senator Obama, do you agree or disagree that this is how the party you want to head should be spending its time and taxpayer dollars?

And speaking of phones ringing in the middle of the night, as a father of two young children, do you agree or disagree that refusing to advance the FISA bill which gives immunity to telecoms risks their safety, and the safety of all Americans, or do you value donations from trial lawyers more than the lives of your own children?

Buy Danish on March 1, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Libs LOVE Executive Privilege when they are in the White House, now the shoe is on the other foot and they hate it. Can’t have it both ways Ms. Pelosi, who is the most corrupt, secretive, manipulating, Speaker since Fort Worthless Jim Wright.

jimbo2008 on March 1, 2008 at 11:22 AM

By the year 2044, Nancy Pelosi’s eyebrows will reach orbit.

Montana on March 1, 2008 at 11:26 AM

No, Pelosi was elected by SAN FRANCISCO.

I never voted for Pelosi, and I bet no one outside the Bay Area would.

BKennedy on March 1, 2008 at 7:07 AM

I share your hostility toward this intolerable hack of a legislator, but in defense ofJiangxiDad’s post, and by your own admission above:

The American people may not have elected her, but in fact elevated her all the way to Speaker of the House.

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 11:39 AM

First of all, isn’t opposing anything Queen Nancy wants itself breaking the law? At least in Nancy’s World…

Also the MSM will give the Queen all the cover she needs. I doupt the words ‘Executive Privlege’ won’t appear 5 times without an ‘Abuse of ‘ prefix in the media reports.

CrazyFool on March 1, 2008 at 11:40 AM

NANCY PELOSI and the house have initiated over 600 oversight investigations wasting the peoples valuable time and have in a short period recieved the lowest rating in history. How much longer IS this STUPIDITY going to be tolerated? This house of reps is an embarassment PERSONAFIDE.

Rovin on March 1, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Does Nancy have Betty Davis eyes? Worse than that! Creepy.

Travis1 on March 1, 2008 at 12:26 PM

As a concerned citizen (that is, not as a lawyer), I see this congressional action as interference in the function of the executive branch. It seems executive privilege was used properly and does not require prior permission from anyone. It is a power that belongs to the Office of the President, not an overly political, hateful, traitorous Speaker of the House.

If Komrade Klinton can fire all 99 US attorneys and it is not a crime (even as some were investigating Whitewater related issues), President Bush can fire a few as well.

Zorro on March 1, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Madam Speaker is only doing this because she and her, ahem, lame party can’t get anything else done. And people wonder why Congress has such a low approval rating.

Wildcatter1980 on March 1, 2008 at 2:04 PM

And Pelosi, as expected, is filing a lawsuit in federal court against the Bush administration. Sad. The woman is the most incompetent Speaker of the House in decades. If memory serves me correctly, didn’t she promise to clean up the corruption in the House of Representatives? How’s she doing thus far? Zilch.

Carl on March 1, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Stretch Pelosi as Levin calls her. LOL

RobCon on March 1, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 11:39 AM

No, the Democrat Party Brass elevated her all the way to Speaker of the House. People do not elect anyone to speaker of the House. Using this logic, “The People” elevated everyone from Ruth Bader Ginsbrg and Madeline Albright to John Bolton and John Roberts on the basis that the House or Senate had to vote on their appointments.

BKennedy on March 1, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Nancy must be masochistic(after all she is from San Fran, lil dig for natives )…she’s always attempting legislation and getting her hands slap…harder, harder, harder next time.

Talk about a do nothing congress, we have a new winner…2006-2008

oldernslower on March 1, 2008 at 6:00 PM

BKennedy on March 1, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House—That’s what you get for voting in the Democrats.

John Bolton, US Ambassador to the UN—That’s not what you get for voting in the Democrats.

Thanks for improving upon JiangxiDad’s point; a point based American civics 101.

If you want to apologize for the Democrats, that’s fine. Spare me the lame nuances to escape accountability.

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 7:16 PM

I hardly think not blaming the “American people” for the Democrats elevating an insane left-wing nutcase from the sado-masochistic capital of the US can be called “escaping accountability.”

The Democrats could have voted in, say, Steny Hoyer. They could have voted in Joe Lieberman. They could have voted in any Democrat of the less left-wing nutroots-kowtowing dictator-coddling stripe.

They chose Nancy Pelosi. Whose beliefs do not align with 90% of Americans.

Imagine if the Republicans were in charge and they made Lincoln Chafee or Olympia Snowe the Speaker of the House. Would you then blame “The American People” and say “this is what happens when you vote not Democrat.”

It’s an idiotic line of reasoning blaming the American people for smoky backroom deals.

BKennedy on March 1, 2008 at 7:26 PM

The Soup on E Channel: Best show on Television, period.
THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 10:01 PM

We finally have found something that we can agree on!

flytier on March 1, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Splunge on February 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Anything by Neil Young makes you liberal. Even Lynard Skynard couldn’t stand him. “Southern man don’t need him around anyhow”

flytier on March 1, 2008 at 9:12 PM

“The Democrats could have voted in, say, Steny Hoyer. They could have voted in Joe Lieberman.”

BKennedy on March 1, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Coulda? I don’t know what universe your were living in that would even remotely suggest that Democrats in power would have put a Lieberman in a leadership position. I believe you’re in semi-state of denial.

BKennedy on March 1, 2008 at 7:26 PM

No. I would say, “your under arrest”. You can’t make a Senator Speaker of the House last time I checked.

I understand you made a mistake that is irrelevant to your point so:

No, I would blame the American people for sending the GOP down the river. If the electorate was signaling through electoral results that a Chafee or a Snowe were acceptable, we’d have noone to blame but ourselves.

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Come get some, Nancy.

mojo on March 1, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Splunge on February 29, 2008 at 10:15 PM

It’s all about smearing Bush with a real scandal, which has been the dream of Democrats during the entire administration. That is the why.

They don’t even have to believe he’s guilty of anything, as long as they can make it look like he’s guilty of something.

Sadly, Mukasey refusing to enforce their contempt citations plays into their hands. Now they can cry “coverup!”

Of course, if he had taken their demands seriously, he would have been wrong, and the damage would have been even worse. For the Democrats, then, this was a win-win situation. Anything Mukasey did to enforce the contempt citations would have embarrassed the Bush administration, and refusing to do anything gives them opportunity to accuse the Bush administration of corruption all over again.

Anybody remember when the Democratic congress under Jim Wright shut down the government over and over again in the first Bush administration to pressure Bush into breaking his “Read my lips: no new taxes” pledge? To his credit, Bush refused to budge for quite a while. You would think that shutting down the government would have hurt Congress as well as the President, but they kept blaming Bush for the impasse, until finally Bush caved and accepted a tax raise. And from then on, the Democrats were able to mock Bush and his “Read my lips” pledge. (Besides which, the tax hikes caused the recession that gave Clinton the opening to run around saying, “It’s the economy, stupid.” And breaking his promise completely prevented him from successfully raising doubts about Clinton’s character.)

This is exactly the same sort of amoral, victory-at-any-price tactic being used here.

theregoestheneighborhood on March 2, 2008 at 12:05 AM