Heart-ache: Texas Republicans crossing over to vote for … Obama; Update: Statistical tie in Ohio?

posted at 1:40 pm on February 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Limbaugh stands athwart history yelling stop but neither snow nor rain nor dark of night shall keep these self-sabotaging doofuses from their appointed Hillary-hating rounds. Virginia Republicans made up seven percent of the vote and broke 72-23 Obama’s way. In Texas? They’re shaping up as nine percent of the vote — with the break 76-20. Pro-Messiah, anti-Hillary, or just so anti-McCain that they’re looking to hand him the worst general match-up possible?

Awful:

“Obamacans,” as the campaign likes to call its Republican supporters, offer a variety of reasons for turning out for Obama, not the least of them a lack of interest in the Republican primary now that Sen. John McCain of Arizona has all but wrapped up his party’s nomination. Others say they genuinely think Obama is the best candidate for change.

But a significant proportion say they are temporarily backing Obama for strategic reasons. They plan to vote Republican in November, but for now, their goal is to try to make sure Clinton cannot win.

Although he said he sincerely supported Obama, Rau acknowledged that “Hillary kind of represents the antithesis of a lot of Republican values.”

The new Fox News poll shows him up by three in the state. The potential GOP effect, per the MSNBC article: Three and a half to five and a half points.

Her Majesty’s master contingency plan, by the way? Insisting that Texas, Ohio, Rhode Island, and Vermont are must-wins — for Obama. Exit recommendation: Hillary, meet Billy Jeff.

Update: He’s following through on those “must-wins” he needs.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Damn. This is what you get when you give the CDS brigades a seat at the table.

Thanks Hannity, great job.

funky chicken on February 29, 2008 at 1:43 PM

What I dont understand is the belief that Obama mania is the only factor in play here ? Im getting the vibe that there is a strong Anti Clinton vote going on.

The clintons are reviled and man republicans want to shoot down Hillary as soon as they can.

William Amos on February 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Opps and I read that an see that others are picking up that vibe now.

William Amos on February 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Ugh. As a Texan, let me just simply say… do not want.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Midas on February 29, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Limbaugh stands athwart history yelling stop but

Allahpundit’s the damn funniest blogger on the whole ‘net.

Baphomet on February 29, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I said it before and I’ll say it again. Clinton demonization is working against the republicans right now.

lorien1973 on February 29, 2008 at 1:47 PM

self-sabotaging doofuses

Ya, that’s what they are. They are so blinded by hatred for her that they are willing to win the battle but lose the war. If they think beating him is going to be easy they are in for one hell of a shock.

TheBigOldDog on February 29, 2008 at 1:49 PM

I agree with those who believe we should eliminate Clinton now. The Republicans are not goint to win in ’08. Therefore the worst case senario is to have Hillary win this time around, hold the white house for 8 years and then have to face an “experienced” Obama in 2015/2016. If Obama wins this time around, I believe his presidency will be an utter failure, so 4 years from now the Republicans will be primed to retake the White House with a candidate better then McCain. We can survive 4 years, probably not 16.

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 1:50 PM

There are too many Republicans around that you just can’t rely on to do the right thing EVER….

Darksean on February 29, 2008 at 1:50 PM

The Texans got this one right.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 1:50 PM

lorien it’s my opinion that it’s been working against the GOP for a long time. I’m going to guess a lot of the Paulbots are the same crowd that spent years and years giving us all the crazee-crazee Clinton conspiracy stuff.

Toward the end of Clinton’s second term in office, I think most folks in the country had accepted that WJC was at best a cad (Paula Jones, Kathleen Willey) and at worst a rapist (Juanita Broddrick) and that the supposed feminist organizations that had spent years screaming about the evils of sexual harrassment were a joke.

A lot of that was lost by pushing on and going whole hog during the impeachment circus.

The impeachment circus gave us Senator HRC and Senator Lindsay Graham, who became very popular with the righty nutroots types for his histrionic performance as a House impeachment manager.

funky chicken on February 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

People want to vote against Hillary and this is their chance. Plus, Obama is extremely beatable in the general election. He is anti-gun and voted against the infant born alive act. He has been making all kinds of National Security mistakes, and McCain is beating him about the head with it.
Obama can’t even pander without stepping in it. Hello, NAFTA?

The MSM won’t be able to hide his inexperience and lack of qualifications to be Commander-in-Chief. Americans don’t like wimps.

And his asinine UN policy, where we give all our money to their anti-poverty crowd will go against him in the general.

Obambi is very beatable in the general.

Stormy70 on February 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

I’ve had enough of the Clintons. Also, I agree with Bill Cunningham that an Obama win will set the country up for another glorious Republican sweep in 2012 similar to Carter setting up Reagan 1n 1980.

I still can’t vote for Capt’n Amnesty. His push for Amnesty made me sick, and I won’t abandon my principals in the name of the party or from pressure from “lesser of 2 evils” pundits. I just don’t trust him.

I guess we will just have to take a few steps backwards in order to move forward.

saiga on February 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

I think people want to sink the Hillary, now, regardless. I agree, drop the house on the Clintons.

tarpon on February 29, 2008 at 1:53 PM

I agree with those who believe we should eliminate Clinton now. The Republicans are not goint to win in ‘08. Therefore the worst case senario is to have Hillary win this time around, hold the white house for 8 years and then have to face an “experienced” Obama in 2015/2016. If Obama wins this time around, I believe his presidency will be an utter failure, so 4 years from now the Republicans will be primed to retake the White House with a candidate better then McCain. We can survive 4 years, probably not 16.

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 1:50 PM

And many of the CDS sufferers are also full-bore MDS sufferers as well, who can’t wait to see McCain lose to Obama

because it will restore purity to the GOP.

Thanks Hannity, really, can’t thank you enough.

funky chicken on February 29, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Well, if Obama keeps getting lit up like he did on the NAFTA whisper and al Qaeda in Iraq issue, going his way might not be as totally silly as it appears at first blush. 3 bank pool shots are not impossible, although the superdelegate migration makes it unlikely. The worst result is it might shorten the Beast’s longevity, hence the possibility of a rumble at the convention.

a capella on February 29, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Sorry Big A, we just disagree.

We gotta end this Clinton thing while we have the chance. She has been politically unbeatable for 191 of the last 193 months. The only thing that is different now is that there is somebody the MSM likes even more. As soon as Bambi is gone, they will be right back behind her, and we will be back to “Clinton is Inevitable” again.

One dragon at a time.

Dorothy did not take on the Wicked Witch of the West until the WWE was safely under the house and the Coroner’s report was sealed.

gridlock2 on February 29, 2008 at 1:56 PM

For all you Knock Clinton Out Nowers.

It’s in the best interest of conservatives for Hillary and Obama to be close going into the convention ensuring a bare-knuckled barroom brawl that would badly fracture the Democrat coalition perhaps permanently – what I call the perfect storm. You’re letting you hatred over her cloud your ability to think strategically.

TheBigOldDog on February 29, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Obama can’t even pander without stepping in it. Hello, NAFTA?

Obambi is very beatable in the general.

Stormy70 on February 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

versus

saiga on February 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Protect the unborn! Vote Obama!

funky chicken on February 29, 2008 at 1:57 PM

The obama bubble will burst. Hopefully it will happen before november.

phronesis on February 29, 2008 at 1:58 PM

I still want the “I will sit out because I hate McCain” republicans to try again to justify to me why a President Obama is a good idea ?

You think he will veto a bill that gives money to ACORN and La Reza to recruit more democrats ?

Open borders ? You aint seen nothing yet. Wait till President Obama opens our borders to Islamic countries removing all restrictions. More Sharia for everyone !

At the end of a 4 year Obama president we will have as many Muslims come to this country as Britian has now. Because to get peace with Islam Barryo is ready to throw all caution to the winds.

William Amos on February 29, 2008 at 1:59 PM

But if I’m wrong… Well, they don’t call us The Stupid Party for nuthin’!

gridlock2 on February 29, 2008 at 1:59 PM

tarpon on February 29, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Instead getting 4-8 years of a guy just as politically savvy, yet much more Liberal. And I’m sure Michelle Obama will never run.

Obama can’t even pander without stepping in it. Hello, NAFTA?

Obambi is very beatable in the general.

Stormy70 on February 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

First of all, a majority of Americans want withdrawal from Iraq. Don’t underestimate their ability to be weak. NAFTA? How many Americans do you think know about his double-speak?

I’d also remind you that McCain is unable to leave the public funding circle until he answers questions and there’s a quorum on the FEC board. That quorum? Being stopped by Democrats, who have holds on Bush’s appointments. That means that unless the lack-of-quorum goes away, McCain may only spend ~$4 million until he formally accepts the nomination in August.

amerpundit on February 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM

funky chicken on February 29, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Did you even read what I said. It is my estimation that we have a choice. Vote Clinton and put the White House in the hands of the Dems for 16 years. Vote Obama and put the White House in the hands of the Dems for 4 years. Which do you prefer?

It has nothing to do with my ideal candidate taking the top of the ticket in the next election. It is just an added benefit to the strategy though, that we will be able to sit back, watch, prepare and not hastily decide what direction we will be heading in as a party. Ideally that candidate will not be one hated by a majority of conservative Republicans. You know… ideally.

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM

For the anti-McCain vote, Huckabee is a much wiser choice.

There are many reasons for this, not the least of which is that Huckabee is the only candidate who has comitted to securing both borders, and set a date for completion.

The Secure America Plan

Red Pill on February 29, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Maybe they’re crossing over because they’ve internalized decades of “Republicans are racist” and are trying to undo it.

Or maybe they want Obama to be POTUS in hopes that he’ll fail miserably.

Or Occam’s Razor – maybe they’re just morons.

Enrique on February 29, 2008 at 2:02 PM

As the famous Col. (I forget his name, not his face) announced during the Katrina clean up… “Don’t ge stuck on
STUPID!” Kinda serves “double duty” don’t it?

CynicalOptimist on February 29, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Red Pill on February 29, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Much of the anti-McCain vote is because he’s not conservative enough. So the solution is a nanny-stater, tax-raiser who pardoned more criminals than 3 governors combined? Beware of Huckabee on immigration; He originally backed McCain’s amnesty, saying opposition to it was partially driven by racism.

amerpundit on February 29, 2008 at 2:04 PM

the talk shows here in houston get about half the people say they are going to vote for hillary to stop obama because they think she is beatable. the other half say they are going to vote obama to stop hillary. I have a feeling they may actually cancel each other out.

Every local show also has stated (which I WHOLE HEARTEDLY AGREE) people are too worried about the president in the primaries while they complain about the direction of the party. The party changes IN THE PRIMARIES when you vote out the people that dont hold up their contracts to the people in the promises they make and dont deliver. If you change your local party it will trickle up to the national level. ofcourse if you vote in the dem race presidential then you cant vote in the republican race local. The phrase cutting your nose off to spite your face comes to mind.

CaptainObvious on February 29, 2008 at 2:04 PM

because it will restore purity to the GOP.
funky chicken on February 29, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Nothing wrong with single issue voters. Some of them are my best friends. Arnold was definitely the way to go, because he was more electable and had a R behind his name.

a capella on February 29, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Don’t blame me, I’m not voting for anybody now that the Reps have their nominee. But maybe I should show up on Tuesday and go for Hillary in the interests of trying to prolong their primary fight.

thirteen28 on February 29, 2008 at 2:05 PM

People want to vote against Hillary and this is their chance

We gotta end this Clinton thing while we have the chance.

Amen.

We’ve been hearing for years now how a Hillary candidacy would turn out the GOP’ers in droves. Well, now they are.

We’re not going to get our chance to slam her in the general election, so now is the time to finally bury the Clinton machine for good.

Personally, I think it’s great. The chickens finally come home to roost.

Bye, Hill and Bill. And take Ickes, Penn, Williams, Begala, Carville and all the other clowns with you.

BacaDog on February 29, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Limbaugh stands athwart history yelling stop

Much like Kevin Bacon, with similar effect.

BohicaTwentyTwo on February 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Heart-ache: Texas Republicans crossing over to vote for … Obama

posted at 1:40 pm on February 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Why complaining?

Why blaming the Republican voters?

Isn’t it part of Sean Hannity’s “stop Hillary express” launched about 4 years ago?

Indy Conservative on February 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Some people just love to hate the Clintons

Spreading dubious theories is a Texas man’s full-time hobby. What will he do if the senator loses?

By Adam C. Smith, Times Political Editor
Published February 29, 2008

AUSTIN, Texas – Robert Morrow is on a roll, talking loud enough to draw wary glances from two women lunching nearby at Macaroni Grill.

“Chelsea is the seed of Web Hubbell and not Bill Clinton. Would I bet my life on it? No. I would bet my pickup truck,” he declares between bites of salmon. “Hillary Clinton was sleeping with both of her law partners, Webb Hubbell and Vince Foster. And she’s a lesbian, too.”

Morrow, a perpetually indignant, single 43-year-old, pretty much devotes his life to hating the Clintons and spreading wild, unsubstantiated allegations about them. There are untold numbers of Robert Morrows in America, people obsessed with Clinton hatred and Clinton conspiracy theories the way other Americans might be consumed with Star Trek, Beanie Babies or the Florida Gators.

Strapping, 6-foot-4 and with an Alabama drawl, Morrow lives in a suburban Austin home with a lot of Ron Paul campaign material, a prominently displayed Hooters calendar and an 8-foot tall shelf packed with Clinton books. In many, he has meticulously underlined passages he deems important and jotted margin notes and stars.

As Sen. Clinton’s prospects have faded, Morrow has been spending more time trying to mobilize voters for Paul, the libertarian Republican candidate.

funky chicken on February 29, 2008 at 2:09 PM

You have to figure right now, Shillary is either writing her concession speech, or preparing the final phase of her Scorched Earth Initiative. Either way, Tuesday is going to be very interesting.

pilamaye on February 29, 2008 at 2:10 PM

My sentiments exactly.

Of course, as an OH resident who will be voting March 4, I’m staying out of the Dem primary. I can’t ever vote for a Dem. That’s why I’m not voting for MexicCain. If Obama wins it and we teach the GOP a lesson, so be it.

Forget all of this Dem/Independent hijacking of my primary. If my party is gonna leave me, then fine, they won’t get my vote.

HYTEAndy on February 29, 2008 at 2:10 PM

As the famous Col. (Forgot his name, not his face) declaired during the Katrina clean-up, “Don’t get stuck on STUPID!” Kinda serves “double duty” don’t it?

CynicalOptimist on February 29, 2008 at 2:10 PM

And the star of Texas conservatism fades, while Louisiana’s rises. Don’t feel too bad, TX, Florida’s already in the mud.

I think Montana’s pretty right-wing, too.

emailnuevo on February 29, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM

I admire your effort, but the seeds are sown on infertile ground. If you’ll notice, her dialogue has gradually shifted to painting everyone who dislikes McCain for any reason to someone who obsesses over “purity”. Next step may well be a further transition to skinheads or right wing fringers. Passionate single issue folks are that way. No flexibility.

a capella on February 29, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Damn, people are stupid. Even IF you think Obama is the more beatable candidate, it helps to drag the Dem race out as long as possible, to bleed their resources and have Hillary try out a few more lines of attack against the Messiah.

Let the PENNSYLVANIA Republicans slay the Clinton dragon!

BuzzCrutcher on February 29, 2008 at 2:12 PM

I think that an Obama win makes things more maniacal for the Clintons. The Clintons are cracking up, and their rage that will be dumped on Obama if he appears to be winning it all will be so over the top … the show should be priceless.

tarpon on February 29, 2008 at 2:12 PM

P.S. Alan Keyes is on the ballot in Texas. If you want to castrate McCain, Texans, vote for the guy who worked for Reagan instead of the front-runner. Don’t vote for the fascist! Because if you think Hilary’s bad, just wait until Obama gets the nomination. Why else do you think Obama’s run a campaign on Hallmark slogans?

emailnuevo on February 29, 2008 at 2:14 PM

TheBigOldDog on February 29, 2008 at 1:57 PM

That is a good point as usual TheBigOldDog, but do you not think that Hillary will bring out the lawyers no matter what? I would be shocked if even if Obama runs the table from here on out team Hillary is going to lie, cheat, steal, bribe and divide the Dems for her own politcal hopes no matter what. She knows, as do we, that this is her last gasp. Nothing is going to be left on the table. Plus, the Dems delegate distribution is proportional, not winner take all. Therefore, it is almost guaranteed at this point that what you see now is pretty much what its going to look like as they head into the convention. In other words the delegate gains and losses are not going to be anything significant no matter who wins because the results are going to be close to 50/50 splits.

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 2:15 PM

My mother was going to vote for Obama on MArch 4, until I wised her up on the general election implications. The rest of you from TX and OH better get to work wising up your family and friends.

Mark V. on February 29, 2008 at 2:16 PM

If McCain loses, I’d rather have — dare I say it? — the Glacier in the White House. They seem like two peas in a pod, only Hill’s got bigger ones when it comes to foreign threats, not that there’s much competition on that front from Obama. I thought her Daisy ad was pretty persuasive, all joking aside.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on February 29, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Republicans couldn’t even get their own first choice as a nominee. What, you expect now that we can decide the Dem’s? Get a clue people.

Sugar Land on February 29, 2008 at 2:17 PM

But you and so many others who have posted here are missing an important tactical point: by keeping Hillary alive in the primary, we keep Bambi distracted and prevent him from organizing his forces early in the race. The last thing we want is a (relatively) unified Democrat party to emerge before the primary process has concluded.
What we DO want is a horserace between Hillary and Bambi up to and including the convention, which would become a political bloodbath that would render the Democrats hopelessly and irreconcilably divided. Throw in Ralph Nader and whatever miniscule number of votes he will nevertheless siphon away from Hillary or Bambi and you have the very real possibility of a McCain victory in November.

NemoParticularis on February 29, 2008 at 2:17 PM

TheBigOldDog on February 29, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Stole my thunder. D’OH!

NemoParticularis on February 29, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I was thinking about this earlier before she said this. Texas and Ohio are also a must win for him. He hasn’t won any of the big Democratic states. If he loses Ohio, she can say he didn’t win a purple state that is crucial in the general. And she is right he is outspending her. So if he loses while he’s ridiculously outspending that won’t look good for him.

terryannonline on February 29, 2008 at 2:19 PM

or you can do like me and vote for Duncan Hunter.

CaptainObvious on February 29, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Conservatives are not capable of deciding the Dems candidate.

If McCain wins and the Dems control the congress who believes McCain will govern as a conservative?

If we’re to have liberal policy failures let a dem do it and not a faux conservative.

oldvannes on February 29, 2008 at 2:19 PM

The self-sabotaging doofuses are the ones who forced Senator Tricepratops on us in the first place. I can’t blame people for wanting to slap Hillary Clinton around a bit considering the Rudy/McCain wing already handed the keys of the White House over to the Democrats.

Besides, I disagree with the conventional wisdom that Hillary would be easier to beat in a general election. Obama’s wafer thin rhetoric and resume’ isn’t going to wash by November.

highhopes on February 29, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Others say they genuinely think Obama is the best candidate for change.

Changey McChangerson ’08!

Frozen Tex on February 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM

I had intended to vote for Obama because I do believe he’s easier to beat in the general. Who knows for sure?

That is what has me hesitating. But it’s not actually physically possible for me to vote for Clinton. I’ll stay home or just vote on the local stuff…

MamaAJ on February 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM

oldvannes on February 29, 2008 at 2:19 PM

If Tricepratops wins and the GOP controls Congress, who believes that McCain will govern as a conservative? Certainly not anybody who has seen his record for the past 8 years while he fumed in “exile” waiting to get back at all the conservatives that (rightfully) rejected him in 2000.

highhopes on February 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM

CaptainObvious on February 29, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Or, you can vote for someone still running!

emailnuevo on February 29, 2008 at 2:23 PM

I tried to convince my brother to vote for Hillary but he has his mind set on Mitt here.

William Amos on February 29, 2008 at 2:24 PM

emailnuevo on February 29, 2008 at 2:23 PM

he has as much a chance as keyes. mccain has the nomination and again I say very loudly. VOTE IN YOUR LOCAL ELECTION PARTY PRIMARIES. So I decided Hunter was as good as anyone, in or not.

CaptainObvious on February 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM

What is the source of the conventional wisdom that the Messiah is unbeatable in the general? Obambi is a very overvalued stock right now and is due for a major correction. That’s the downside of the media running interference for a candidate like Obama; they start to believe their own cooked polls. If McCain doesn’t do anything foolish, this could be a near-replay of 1988 against someone more liberal and less experienced than Dukakis. Dukie had a significant lead in the polls in September and couldn’t win more than 10 states in Nov. A bland, non-conservative Republican war hero, GHWB, crushed him in the electoral vote. If McCain, with all his flaws, can’t get 270 electoral votes against an absurd McGovernite in a time of war, then the GOP has much deeper problems than just thus election.

Travis Bickle on February 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM

This story surprises me a little, because some of the TX Republicans I know, including me, have been talking about voting for Hillary in the primary, for these reasons: She might be more beatable than Obama in the general, and to keep her in the race so there’s a bloodbath at their convention. Also, if she did win the general, she is not as naive as Obama on foreign policy. He is a real dumbass in that area, and could make some major trouble for us.

I’m going to vote today, and now I’ve decided to just go ahead and vote for McCain in my own party’s primary. Why? Because I actually like McCain and want to see him beat Huckabee like a rented mule, and because now I’m thinking Obama might be more beatable in the general.

Both Obama and Clinton are back again campaigning in my city today. It’s weird to have national candidates spending so much time here.

juliesa on February 29, 2008 at 2:29 PM

BuzzCrutcher on February 29, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Agreed it would be in the GOP best interest to have the Dem primary drag on for awhile. But, the animosity against the Clinton’s runs deep in our party. Rightfully so, I might add.

Even if Obama wins Texas and Ohio, the delegate count spread is still not going to be wide enough for Obama to realistically claim victory, or to force Hillary out. Thank goodness for the Democratic policy of apportioning delegates. If it were winner take all, it’d be over.

Bottom line….it’s going to go on to Pennsylvania and possibly to the convention. Hopefully Hillary will maintain withering fire on Obama until then. I just hope McCain has the good sense to keep his head down and stay the hell out of the way.

BacaDog on February 29, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Changey McChangerson ‘08!

Frozen Tex on February 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Good one. HAHAHAHA

or …… Boob Hope ’08!

fogw on February 29, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Travis Bickle on February 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM

and then with a dem congress he can goven like a dem, have it labeled a conservative failure, and help elect Pres Obama in 2012.

oldvannes on February 29, 2008 at 2:33 PM

neither snow nor rain nor dark of night shall keep these self-sabotaging doofuses from their appointed Hillary-hating McCain nominating rounds.

MB4 on February 29, 2008 at 2:34 PM

NemoParticularis on February 29, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Nemo, they want McCain to lose the general election. Because the Tribulation of Obama’s 4 years in office will lead to the arrival of a GOP Savior.

deranged, like emailnuevo who apparently wishes to castrate John McCain. Enjoy getting by his 2 military sons to accomplish that.

funky chicken on February 29, 2008 at 2:35 PM

juliesa on February 29, 2008 at 2:29 PM

I hear ya! Back in 2004, I was living in Michigan. The state was close enough that you couldn’t help but tripping over a candidate or a candidate’s spouse in the weeks leading up to the election. We had them all Bush/Kerry/Laura Bush/Theresa Heinz Kerry/Dick Cheney/Lynn Cheney/John Edwards/ Elizabeth Edwards……….

Then nothing! It’s a little bit like being dumped after the second date! ;-0

I certainly hope the Clinton machine gets enough of a boost to keep things close and nasty for the Democrats but I can’t agree with you that McCain is any better than either of the other Democrats running for office.

highhopes on February 29, 2008 at 2:36 PM

funky chicken on February 29, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Why do you want the Dems to control the white house for 16 years rather then just 4?

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 2:38 PM

by the way make sure you check the final numbers your going to be surprised how many votes Hunter gets.

CaptainObvious on February 29, 2008 at 2:39 PM

McCain is doing the right thing by zinging Obama, while Obama’s pandering his little heart out to the hard left Dems.

I like McCain’s needling of Obama. I hope it starts to set Obama’s teeth on edge, while he has to duke it out with Hillary.

I’m a Texan, but I voted for McCain. I don’t vote for Dems, ever.

Stormy70 on February 29, 2008 at 2:39 PM

CaptainObvious on February 29, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Hunter endorsed Huckabee. Therefore he is dead to me.

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 2:40 PM

When will she cry?

BacaDog on February 29, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Prudent.

MB4 on February 29, 2008 at 2:41 PM

he will probably be SecDef and his son (the marine with two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan) will be in his house seat.

still can be influential

CaptainObvious on February 29, 2008 at 2:43 PM

You know… we spent most of the 90′s suspecting that a Hillary for President campaign was coming, and we all thought it would be inevitable that she’d win. It’s like we all had a collective nightmare for a decade and a half, and now it’s coming true and we have a chance to stop it. It’s not so much a strategic vote as an anti-inevitability vote.

Mark Jaquith on February 29, 2008 at 2:44 PM

I don’t vote for Dems, ever.

I wouldn’t see it as voting for them as much as it is messing with them.

And I still haven’t seen one sign for a presidential candidate anywhere. Weird.

MamaAJ on February 29, 2008 at 2:44 PM

still can be influential

CaptainObvious on February 29, 2008 at 2:43 PM

In crossing the aisle?

oldvannes on February 29, 2008 at 2:44 PM

If McCain doesn’t do anything foolish

Travis Bickle on February 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM

lol.

MB4 on February 29, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Darksean on February 29, 2008 at 1:50 PM

I hear ya… which is why they ended up with “Loser McCain”. if they would have just done the right thing, we could have had a REAL candidate, instead we have a Democrat Wannabee

TOPV on February 29, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I just returned from early voting. When the lady asked which party I said, “well for this election make it democrat” to which she smiled and said, “yup.” Guess there has been a lot of republicans voting on the democrat ticket this time. Oh side note; it was busy, a small line to sign in, unheard of where I vote.

Engrpat on February 29, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Or Occam’s Razor – maybe they’re just morons.

Enrique on February 29, 2008 at 2:02 PM

This one. Leave it up to the conservatives to shoot themselves in the foot, often.

Also, I agree with Nemo.

Those of you who think Obama is a “sure win” are kidding yourselves. Here’s why – the entire world is rooting for Obama (I heard this on the radio this morning). The Americans didn’t have the Tea Party for nothing.

Entelechy on February 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Hunter endorsed Huckabee. Therefore he is dead to me.

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Hunter stuck by his “principles”…unlike some Republicans who voted for a Dem in disguise

TOPV on February 29, 2008 at 2:53 PM

I’ve already made my point earlier that I think “Obama fear” is blinding too many Republicans. I’d rather face him in the general than Hillary. All of his base will goto Hillary and NONE of it to McCain. On the other hand, if she were taken out, there’d be some splintering of her base to McCain. I don’t know how much, but you’d definitely peel more of her Base off for McCain than you would Obama’s. I guess we’ll never know who was right and who was wrong.

But that said, we have early voting here in TX and I already voted. And I didn’t vote for Obama or Hillary…or McCain.

pecan pie on February 29, 2008 at 2:55 PM

TOPV on February 29, 2008 at 2:53 PM

On immigration, how is endorsing Huckabee “sticking by one’s principles”?

Entelechy on February 29, 2008 at 2:55 PM

TOPV on February 29, 2008 at 2:53 PM

So the Huckster is a principled conservative?

oldvannes on February 29, 2008 at 2:57 PM

TOPV on February 29, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Careful there, or you’ll be accused of being too pure. We’ve gone down the “Well, at least he’s better thn the opposition candidate on this, and he’s the best we can do at this point” path for so long, no one likes to look back at how we got here. So, in lieu of critical thinking and honest debate on priorities, some just blindly cheerlead for short term, just stay ahead of the tiger thinking. Socialism doesn’t have to come in the large chunks Obama advocates. Boil the frog slowly in moderation.

a capella on February 29, 2008 at 2:59 PM

a capella on February 29, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Socialism by the glass or by the barrel is still socialism.

oldvannes on February 29, 2008 at 3:01 PM

TOPV on February 29, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Nope. He sold out. Newt may also fall into that category.

a capella on February 29, 2008 at 3:02 PM

And I like HotAir and enjoy the other comments, but I’m getting tired of people I consider cohorts and “friends” in the Conservative movement calling me a “doofus” for having a differing opinion of political strategy.

pecan pie on February 29, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Only if it’s close. I has to be close for her support to back her play. People are already backing away from her. She needs Texas and Ohio for the storm conditions to be right.

Plus, the Dems delegate distribution is proportional, not winner take all

It has to be close not just in pledged delegates but also in states won and popular vote.

TheBigOldDog on February 29, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Call me crazy, but I have the audacity of hope that Clinton still picks off wins in Ohio & Texas.

Vyce on February 29, 2008 at 3:05 PM

My wife and I voted for the pantsuit, but we also know several who voted to teach her a lesson. I just don’t get it. Let’s put the most popular candidate on the ballot against us. Real swift move.

Limerick on February 29, 2008 at 3:09 PM

TheBigOldDog on February 29, 2008 at 3:04 PM

The superdelegate thing seems to be slipping away from her a bit. Do you think she will hold off on the Michigan/Florida delegate validation struggle till Ohio or Pennsylvania?

a capella on February 29, 2008 at 3:10 PM

I’m a Texan, and I am crossing over to Osama, oops, Obama for the primary. Neither candidate can mathematically eliminate the other before the convention, so unless one withdraws, that is a moot point. Conservatives cannot decide the primary, only work on the margins. Assuming we are on the margins, and one candidate, the witch, is on the cusp of losing credibility, it is in our interest to help push her off of that cliff, while our impact is greatest (primaries here have a turnout of less than 1/4 of the general). I assume that a non-credible hillary sues her way to nomination, or a frighteningly naive Osama gains a nomination and loses the general. You don’t really think that record turnouts in dem primaries all over this country, with a non-entity beating the Clinton machine consists of just democrats, do you?

Think_b4_speaking on February 29, 2008 at 3:11 PM

it is in our interest to help push her off of that cliff,

It really, really isn’t.

It’s in our interests, at a MINIMUM, to keep her in the race long enough so that this goes to the superdelgates, thus causing turmoil within the Democrat party.

Vyce on February 29, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Think_b4_speaking on February 29, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Yeah…almost. Let’s say (being VERY optimistic) that 25% of the primary Dem votes were Republicans. That still means that Dem turnout here in Texas is 3-1.

Limerick on February 29, 2008 at 3:17 PM

a capella on February 29, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Everything hinges on keeping it close. If it’s close, she’ll have support to do whatever it takes to win. That’s why Texas and Ohio are critical. If she loses, she’s done because her support for going nuclear will dry up.

TheBigOldDog on February 29, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Entelechy on February 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM

I think you are right regarding world opinion, but last I heard, the whole world doesn’t vote here. It does appear, from watching the Clintons, the whole world can contribute money in many forms, so that does have an impact. One thing is sure,..we won’t suffer a major terrorist attack here before the elections. Another thing, if Obama loses, it will confirm world opinion we are a racist country.

a capella on February 29, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Vyce on February 29, 2008 at 3:05 PM

So do I.

terryannonline on February 29, 2008 at 3:22 PM

This morning after reading the 4 mailings that the Clinton campaign sent — “Which of these people don’t deserve health care?”, “The Barack Obama health care plan fails to cover every American”, “Energy company employees donated over $650,000 to Barack Obama and got what they wanted”, and “Barack Obama voted AGAINST protecting American families from predatory credit card interest rates of more than 30 percent.” — I must confess I did briefly entertain the idea of voting for him….

This is depressing. How can I vote the lesser of evils when they’re all equally repugnant?

VerbumSap on February 29, 2008 at 3:23 PM