Heart-ache: Texas Republicans crossing over to vote for … Obama; Update: Statistical tie in Ohio?

posted at 1:40 pm on February 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Limbaugh stands athwart history yelling stop but neither snow nor rain nor dark of night shall keep these self-sabotaging doofuses from their appointed Hillary-hating rounds. Virginia Republicans made up seven percent of the vote and broke 72-23 Obama’s way. In Texas? They’re shaping up as nine percent of the vote — with the break 76-20. Pro-Messiah, anti-Hillary, or just so anti-McCain that they’re looking to hand him the worst general match-up possible?

Awful:

“Obamacans,” as the campaign likes to call its Republican supporters, offer a variety of reasons for turning out for Obama, not the least of them a lack of interest in the Republican primary now that Sen. John McCain of Arizona has all but wrapped up his party’s nomination. Others say they genuinely think Obama is the best candidate for change.

But a significant proportion say they are temporarily backing Obama for strategic reasons. They plan to vote Republican in November, but for now, their goal is to try to make sure Clinton cannot win.

Although he said he sincerely supported Obama, Rau acknowledged that “Hillary kind of represents the antithesis of a lot of Republican values.”

The new Fox News poll shows him up by three in the state. The potential GOP effect, per the MSNBC article: Three and a half to five and a half points.

Her Majesty’s master contingency plan, by the way? Insisting that Texas, Ohio, Rhode Island, and Vermont are must-wins — for Obama. Exit recommendation: Hillary, meet Billy Jeff.

Update: He’s following through on those “must-wins” he needs.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

My wife and I voted for the pantsuit, but we also know several who voted to teach her a lesson. I just don’t get it. Let’s put the most popular candidate on the ballot against us. Real swift move.

Limerick on February 29, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Limerick, the Republicans are not going to be given the keys to the White House again in ’08. In order to think clearly about what the correct course of action is, Republican voters need to come to grips with that reality. The Dems are raising so much money and the Republicans have such a bad reputation nationally right now that it would be a miracle if the Republicans were in the White House next year. So, given that fact we have 2 choices. 1). Vote for Hillary who will retain the White House for 8 years and be forced to face an “experienced” Obama 8 years from now. 2). Vote for Obama who can only dissapoint. He will get very little accomplished (thank God). And will cough up the White House to the Republicans in 4 years. Hillary will be viewed as the past and damaged goods. She will not run again. She will be perceived as not being able to win.

If Hillary wins, we will be looking at at least 16 years of Democrats sitting in the Oval Office. If Obama wins we will be looking at 4. I would encourage Republicans to continue to vote for Obama througout this primary season.

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM

I can’t find it now, but I want to reiterate what someone earlier in the thread said about the importance of the state and local primaries. Whichever party’s primary you vote in, please give some thought to who you will vote for on the state level.

juliesa on February 29, 2008 at 3:27 PM

while our impact is greatest (primaries here have a turnout of less than 1/4 of the general
Think_b4_speaking on February 29, 2008 at 3:11 PM

thats why you are wasting your vote on a dem president when you should be working to improve your local republican party. we are currently in the situation we are in now (ie mccain, bush) because we have allowed the non conservatives to push their weight in the party platforms. Our REAL POWER is to hold our local elected officials accountable and if they dont honor our wishes you vote them out IN THE PRIMARIES. I dont see how you people cant see this. This is how Dan Patrick got into the Texas senate and hopefully how Chris Peden will beat Ron Paul and how Allan fletcher will beat corbin van arsdale. Van arsdale champions the trans texas corridor and the largest business tax in the history of the city for those that dont know.

this is where we change the party NOT by picking who we want to or dont want to run AGAINST.

CaptainObvious on February 29, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Totally disagree with that. How is he not going to get anything done when he has a majority in the House and Senate? If we loose (God forbid), I’d rather have her sitting in the chair then him. She is a crook. He is an idealist. I’ll take the crook.

Limerick on February 29, 2008 at 3:30 PM

I find it hard to believe that there is such a thing as an “Obamacan.” Just awful.

The_Freeze on February 29, 2008 at 3:32 PM

but last I heard, the whole world doesn’t vote here.

True. Did you think that was my point? It wasn’t.

Another thing, if Obama loses, it will confirm world opinion we are a racist country.

a capella on February 29, 2008 at 3:20 PM

It will not confirm that at all. It will confirm that we are still and independent country, and that we’ve shown the world, again, a…whatever you wish, and also, my original point, in the first comment.

Entelechy on February 29, 2008 at 3:33 PM

It’s in our interests, at a MINIMUM, to keep her in the race long enough so that this goes to the superdelgates, thus causing turmoil within the Democrat party.

Vyce on February 29, 2008 at 3:17 PM

For what? If your theory is based on the hope that the Republicans are actually going to win in ’08, all you’re doing is making decisions based on false hope.

The presidential election IS the Democrat primary. They are one in the same. One of those two is going to be the next president. Who would you rather have? That is all you should be thinking about right now. With Hillary taking the White House and holding it for 8 years and then handing the keys to Obama, we will be stuck with the Dems for 16 years. If Obama wins, his lack of experience and naivity will not allow him to accomplish anything. He will fail miserably. Hillary will be stuck with the “can’t win” lable. The Republicans will win the White House in 4 years. 4 years of Dem control is preferable to 16.

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Much like Kevin Bacon, with similar effect.

BohicaTwentyTwo on February 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Don’t mess with the Center of the Universe, dude.

- The Cat

P.S. I’m starting to think that the Reps crossing over for Obama actually want him in. And for that I say, ya’ll suck.

MirCat on February 29, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM

My e-friend Zetterson, we need a good/long talk. He’s way more dangerous than her, while both are plenty perilous.

Entelechy on February 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM

The Texans got this one right.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 1:50 PM

I agree w/ THE CHOSEN ONE here. Too many people forget how HRC abused power when she was in the White house – the Travel office firings, the FBI files, et al. I don’t normally admire Dick Morris, but I agree with him on this one – people should do what they can to end the political fortunes of the Clintons. Their abuse of power is far more dangerous than Obama’s Liberalism.

Also, even if GOP voters were to cross over to sabotage the Dem candidates, McCain is not the one who deserves to be the recipient of such a sabotage. I don’t like Obama’s policies any more than Clinton’s or McCain’s, but neither of the latter 2 deserve the office: Clinton abuses power, while McCain is undependable, and worse, would control the GOP political establishment, making Conservatives orphans without a party. Vote Obama, but keep a Conservative Congress. I know that this normally doesn’t happen, but worst case would be a repeat of 1992, where a Obama win could make Dems read into a Leftward shift nationwide, and give the GOP the opportunity to re-run a 1994 campaign.

The Texan Republicans are right on this one.

infidelpride on February 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Real Clear Politics has Obama ahead by 2 in TX. If he wins TX, it’s over for her thighness

infidelpride on February 29, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Limerick on February 29, 2008 at 3:30 PM

In MA we just had the political equivalent of Obama win the Governership. You may have heard of him – Deval Patrick. He got elected on a “together we can” empty campaign rhetoric. The Dems run everything here. He should be checking off his long list of socialist bullet points every day. He’s not though. In fact, he’s proving himself to be completely over his head and ill prepared to run a state. He can’t get anything accomplished despite the fact that he is backed by an extremely overwhealming majority. The problem is, that at some point, judgement day arrives. At some point you actually have to explain what it is you are doing and HOW it is going to be done. He can’t. Its killing him and its the same thing that will kill Obama.

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 3:38 PM

I want everybody to start this or a similar thread up again on Monday. My spouse & I and several of our friends have not yet voted in TX – waiting for Tuesday to see how the overall picture looks. Our local reps are safe, Cornyn is safe on the R side. Bet lots of folks in OH haven’t decided yet, either. No matter what happens, the beast and bambi both will split delegates here.

thebookkeeper on February 29, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Entelechy on February 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Hit me with it E. I’m curious to know why you think he is more dangerous. He may very well be, but I’d like to know why you think that is. Hillary has been the force behind the popularization of socailistic government programs in contemporary America. I believe she is equally dangerous and equally left wing. Its just that she has made the calculated political decision to leave herself the option to actually run towards the center if need be. Beware of power in her hands though. The difference, in my estimation, between Hillary and Obama is that Hillary will actually accomplish what she sets out to do. Obama will flounder and and his star will dim. I think both of them have the EXACT same goals and vision for this country. I believe only one of them can actually succeed in acheiveing their goals.

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 3:47 PM

I don’t know if crossing over to vote for a Dim is the correct thing to do or not. However, I firmly believe that he,BO, will be easier to defeat. Having lived in Az. many years, I am certainly no McCaine fan, but he has all the credentials that are most important to world events, and I cannot leave our fighting Military out of this equation. We simply MUST NOT betray those young Americans who just happen to be our sons and daughters. That, above all else, should guide you!!!!

b4lucy on February 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Also, remember how much help Tuh-ray-zaahh was to Lurch’s efforts. I think bambi’s bride will be every bit as helpful to his campaign.

thebookkeeper on February 29, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Limerick on February 29, 2008 at 3:30 PM

so well get the crook and then the idealist to set it all right.

Better to give it to the dream weaver. The cold shower of reality will wash over all of his nonsense once he actually has to govern. It won’t change him but hopefully many of the faithful will begin to question their allegiance..

oldvannes on February 29, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Our local reps are safe, Cornyn is safe on the R side.thebookkeeper on February 29, 2008 at 3:45 PM

what about state house and senate? or Sherriffs and the DA that will take charge in the immigration and crime problems we are having. are all those people living up to their promises they made in their last campaign?

by the way if kilgore wasnt a “texas needs to be an independent state” guy I would have voted for him just for the fact cornyn has been touting the open borders

CaptainObvious on February 29, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Zetterson, oldvannes….

Still have to disagree. I’ve already voted and believe that is the right course of action. McCain can beat Hillary but to put Obama up against him means we are going to have 1984 in reverse. He’ll not just win, he’ll get a mandate. The lady is scary but Obama is just down right dangerous. You all have your reasons, and have expressed them well, but we aren’t going to see eye-to-eye on this one.

Limerick on February 29, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Anecdotal evidence in West Texas suggests that Republican women are crossing over to vote for Obama, but my observation is it is because they have such a strong dislike for Hillary Clinton, and they plan to vote Republican in the Fall.

It appears to me that Obama will win the majority of Texas delegates, but the popular vote may be close.

Texas will not be an Obama state in the Fall, but I do look for Democrats to do better than in recent years down the ballot, particularly in local races, where they have decent candidates on the ballot. Even Texas Republicans are not really happy with the way the state has been governed the last few years.

The South Plainsman on February 29, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Hillary. By FAR.

NOW who’s engaging in false hope. You’re playing a dangerous game with the welfare of the nation on the ASSUMPTION that Obama will be an ineffective president (need I remind you of what the colloquial definition of “assumption” is), but as others have emphasized, he’s going to have a Democrat Congress (because Democrats stand to GAIN seats this year rather than lose them), and thus he’s going to get enough of his agenda passed to seriously damage our nation, likely for years to come.

In today’s modern age, and this election season in particular, I can’t believe people like you are really following this sort of logic. You’re presuming quite a lot there. Well, six months ago, you’d have never presumed that John McCain would be THE GOP nominee, yet here he is. You cannot predict how things are going to turn out, but even supposing you’re correct, I do not want four disastrous years of Obama.

Vyce on February 29, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Limerick on February 29, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Indeed.

As a friend of mind put it: in terms of their politics, Hillary may be evil, but Obama is stupid.

I’ll take evil over stupid any day.

Vyce on February 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM

I can’t believe all of these idiots will put are putting their hatred for Hillary ahead of what would be the worst thing possible for the Democratic Party.

I live in Ohio and will be voting for Hillary on Tuesday. I hate her as much as or more than the next guy but I want her to stay in it until the convention and try to worm her way into the nomination. It would totally destroy the Democratic party if the superdelegates hand Hillary the nomination.

I just can’t believe how stupid people are.

Erockk on February 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Limerick on February 29, 2008 at 4:01 PM

I agree, when either is elected they will do damage. It’s going to happen. PERIOD.

The republicans have no chance thanks to their behavior the past 6-8 years. If McCain wins he will govern as a liberal because he will have to deal with a democratic congress. His liberal failures will be blamed and labeled conservative.

Obama will get a mandate but his incompetence will lead to an early exit. If it’s Hillary he will be seen as the cure to all her faults.
We have a choice 4 years for Obama or 12 years with Hil/Obm

oldvannes on February 29, 2008 at 4:14 PM

“Thats why you are wasting your vote on a dem president when you should be working to improve your local republican party. Our REAL POWER is to hold our local elected officials accountable and if they dont honor our wishes you vote them out IN THE PRIMARIES. I dont see how you people cant see this.”

CaptainObvious on February 29, 2008 at 3:27 PM”

Captain: I am in dist 9, which is the People’s Republic of Noplace (the gerrymandered snake district). All repubs in my precinct/county/state dist. are unopposed anyway. Besides, as should be obvious by now, conservative and republican are not necessarily the same thing anymore.

Think_b4_speaking on February 29, 2008 at 4:23 PM

This obviously bodes poorly for Clinton. I think her situation can be summed up in one word.

darii on February 29, 2008 at 4:24 PM

I just can’t believe how stupid people are.

Erockk on February 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM

sigh

pecan pie on February 29, 2008 at 4:26 PM

“Hey troops, sorry for your sacrifice, but we give up! Here’s the Dem to betray you and paint a nice, big bullseye on our country!” – Whiny Republican voter.

We don’t have to lose, so quit acting like losers.

Obambi or Hillary can be beat in the general. 4 years is a long time, especially for our troops. I don’t feel like giving the military over to a bunch of Marxist democrats.

Quit acting like the Emo party, instead of the Daddy party.

Or is Obama paying some of you to act like defeatist Republicans and dress up the comment pages in sackcloth and ashes.

It is wartime, not a time to run an Obama is Carter experiment.

Stormy70 on February 29, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Vyce on February 29, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Am I making some assumptions here? Yes, of course I am. Predictions and strategy is always based on assumptions to one degree or another. But my assumptions are not blind. They are based on known facts. For example, what do we know about Obama?:
1). Obama is inexperienced. He won’t be perceived as inexperienced in 8 years.
2). Obama is running a substantively empty campaign based entirely on idealistic fluffy rhetoric.
3). Obama has no idea what he is talking about in regards to foreign policy and the military.
4). Obama is making promises that cannot possibly be kept.
5). If Obama loses to Hillary he will be back again 8 years from now. If Hillary loses to Obama the Clintons are a thing of the past.
6). The Democrats (no matter who the nominee is) have a huge advantage in this election year.
7). The Republican cannot raise money right now.
8). The Democrats are rolling in dough.

As I stated in an earlier post, you should take a lesson from what is happening right now in MA with Deval Patrick. Patrick and Obama are virtually the same thing. We would not know their names if they had slightly different skin pigmentation. They are winning nominations based on empty false rhetoric, “together we can” and “yes we can”, and they are both heavily lacking in the experience department. Patrick is helpful to my assumptions because he is like the canary in the coal mine. An Obama clone, failing miserably in his attempts to get anything done, because once in power, substance and details matter. As Patrick fails so too will Obama. Then again, you may be right. I may be wrong. That’s what makes predictions so difficult.

I have one request though. 4 years from now, remember this conversation.

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I live in Ohio and will be voting for Hillary on Tuesday. I hate her as much as or more than the next guy but I want her to stay in it until the convention … It would totally destroy the Democratic party if the superdelegates hand Hillary the nomination.

Erockk on February 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM

It speaks volumes about the moral and philosophical disrepair of the GOP that some see the party’s path to victory paved not with ideas or principles, but with tawdry electoral gimmicks. It’s a tacit admission that we have nothing new or useful or important to say. We know only that we want to win, but we don’t know why, or else we don’t know how to explain ourselves.

We claim that Barack Obama is vacuous. I submit that we’re projecting.

paul006 on February 29, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Hold the line! Simply put, Barack Hussein Obama can only win if McCain pulls a BIG screwup. The idiots mesmerized by him can be worn down, and between improvements in Iraq and simple exposure of his ideas–global taxation, health care approaching the rejected Hillarycare, and his connections to terrorists–McCain can beat him on the issues. And remember: “Barack Hussein Obama.”

All conservatives and Republicans have to do is drop their stupid purity demands and be pragmatic in how they pursue their agendas. One might say, “I won’t compromise my principles,” and end up holding those principles into the country’s grave. “Holding to their principles” is in fact self-centered and selfish (“my way or no way”), and will lead to defeat.

Tommygun on February 29, 2008 at 4:50 PM

We claim that Barack Obama is vacuous. I submit that we’re projecting.

paul006 on February 29, 2008 at 4:48 PM

The problem is that our presumptive nominee isn’t inclined to proclaim the principles and ideas of conservatism. Victory over the democrats is for the sake of national security. We know why we want to win: to prevent liberal ideas and principles from governing our nation. I don’t disagree about the disrepair of the GOP per se, but it isn’t for lack of ideas and principles that we are trying to sabotage the Democrats. It is for the sake of protecting our ideas and principles that we are trying to make it harder for them to win.

darii on February 29, 2008 at 4:56 PM

yikes, it’s political Karnak central here

everyone here making predictions on 08 12 & 16 please point me to your posts 6 months ago predicting a McCain vs Obama race.

thanks

windansea on February 29, 2008 at 5:00 PM

darii on February 29, 2008 at 4:56 PM

It’s too late for that.

Although John McCain is surely more conservative on balance than Obama or Clinton, I can give you a long list of positions where McCain is not a conservative, and where liberal ideas and principles are already destined to govern the nation.

paul006 on February 29, 2008 at 5:08 PM

…which is exactly why i didn’t cross-over for the primary here in TX (or give in and vote for McCain) and cast a conservative vote for real conservatives, something i wish more conservatives were doing around the nation. Gotta control what i can here in my voting booth, and my vote is precious to me.

pecan pie on February 29, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Much of the anti-McCain vote is because he’s not conservative enough. So the solution is a nanny-stater, tax-raiser who pardoned more criminals than 3 governors combined? Beware of Huckabee on immigration; He originally backed McCain’s amnesty, saying opposition to it was partially driven by racism.

amerpundit on February 29, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Compare that to this.

Red Pill on February 29, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Quit acting like the Emo party, instead of the Daddy party.

It is wartime, not a time to run an Obama is Carter experiment.

Stormy70 on February 29, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Its impossible to tell at this moment in time who McCain has a better chance of beating in the general. The conventional wisdom is Obama is more difficult then Hillary to beat in the general because she will unify motivate the Republican base. That is somethign, sadly, that McCain cannot do on his own. But there are many things that can happen between now and election day. What if we get attacked again? If that happens, the war, and battling islamo fascists just might become a big enough issue to swing the election in favor of McCain (especailly if he is matched up against Obama). What if the press becomes unable to find any bad news emminating from our presence in the Middle East? What if success becomes too obvious to ignore and as a result the war is no longer a motivational factor for the Dem base and at the same time a source for pride amongst the Republican base? That will be good for McCain and might give him a chance. What if George Bush tries one last time to force Shamnesty down our throats and McCain backs his efforts? What if the economy truly tanks? What if we have an economic turnaround? Bottom line is, it depends upon what issue/issues arise as most important to the American voters. That is tough to predict at this moment. What you can do though is look at trends. The war in Iraq is trending in favor of McCain at this moment. The economy is trending towards the dems. So how can you truly tell which Dem candidate is easier to defeat? We don’t yet know what the playing field is going to look like. What’s my point here? My point is that I think it is premature to cross over and vote for a Dem candidate in the primary based solely on who you think will be easier to defeat in the general. We don’t have enough information yet to come to an intelligent conclusion about that. What I am proposing is a fall back plan. My plan is based on the high probability that if Hillary loses she is out of our hair for good. If Obama loses he is just going to come back, stronger then ever 8 years from now. Of course I would rather have McCain win then Obama or Hillary, but if McCain loses, I’d rather take one of those two down with us then have them both in our faces for the next 16 years.

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Think_b4_speaking on February 29, 2008 at 4:23 PM

that is exactly what Im saying. Im talking about the primaries. where reps run against reps. We need to start holding our elected officials to their words on the republican side. so you have to look up incumbants records (its pretty easy to do nowdays) and quit allowing the party to decide who they want in office.

a good example is the state rep 130 race, Allen Flether and Van Arsdale. The incumbant Van Arsdale has raised 200,000 dollars 198,000 of it is from outside the district. Thats telling along with the fact he voted for the transtexas corridor, the business tax, and to bust the spending cap.

just voting him back in because he is safe doesnt help the “conservative” cause. it helps the “republican” cause.

also in the caucuss is where the party platform is written. you take your proposals in, they vote on them and if they pass they move on to the state, there they are voted on again and if they pass they move on and can eventually become the party platform. and then if you keep the fire under the feet of the people you elect to continue with that platform you can bring the conservative and republican platforms back together.

voting for who you think is a better dem candidate to run against you cant do any of that and the sick cycle continues.

CaptainObvious on February 29, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Somewhat off topic, yet nonetheless germane:
Cherchez la femme; Obama’s women reveal his secret

Great article with some information of which I was previously unaware.

LegendHasIt on February 29, 2008 at 5:17 PM

I’m still waiting for all those drive-by character assassination moves by Herr Hillery we all came to expect. Were we/have we been duped about her lethality? I truly thought she could take out any opponent.. err threat.. that had the audacity to challenge her. The fact nothing much has surfaced about Obama tells me he’s got a political machine as mean as hers. I will venture to guess that things are going to start surfacing about McCain though. Pretty much too late to run anyone other than him. Safer to take him down now than later for either Hill or Messiah.

24K lady on February 29, 2008 at 5:33 PM

read this from HEO. we can beat this guy if we’re smart – even with McCain.

pecan pie on February 29, 2008 at 5:41 PM

pecan pie on February 29, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Sorry. I wanted to link directly to the article, but couldn’t seem to. I guess it’s just available by email.

pecan pie on February 29, 2008 at 5:42 PM

here’s some goodness

AUSTIN — The Texas Democratic Party warned Thursday that election night caucuses scheduled for Tuesday could be delayed or disrupted after aides to Hillary Rodham Clinton threatened to sue over the party’s complicated delegate selection process.

windansea on February 29, 2008 at 5:48 PM

It makes no sense NOT to vote for her. Why wouldn’t you want chaos and tumult at the democrat convention? VOTE FOR HILLARY IF FOR NO OTHER REASON!
(DUH!)

SouthernGent on February 29, 2008 at 5:49 PM

So I’m sure this was probably asked and answered but… why exactly would people listen to Rush on who to vote for in the Democratic party? He’s obviously convinced Maverick is the Devil himself. What do we care which Democrat beats him? Is this just to cause angst in the D party?

Seems silly.

Dash on February 29, 2008 at 5:57 PM

No, folks, I’m sorry.

I’m a Texas Republican. I’m going down to the schoolhouse on th 4th, I’m going to ask for a Democratic Party ballot, and I’m gonna vote for Obama.

Pure selfishness. This way there’s at least a chance I’ll get to vote against Hillary! twice.

Regards,
Ric

warlocketx on February 29, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Guess I can only pray that if by some miracle McCain does make it into the White House he turns out to be as cranky towards the Dems as he’s been to the Repubs these past few years. I’d love to wake up to find him holding a veto pen on every bill submitted to him for signature. However, IMHO, Maverick’s record on voting conservative issues is less than stellar, and some have just been plain boneheaded.

24K lady on February 29, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Barry currently has a lead of 153 pledged delegates.

Back when everyone thought Hillary was going to win all she needed was a 100 delegate lead.

Republicans voting cross-party should account for less than 10% of the total democrat vote, and since they will be voting for both candidates that number will shrink considerably.

Long story short: Vote for whomever you want, your vote won’t make a difference anyway.

Hillary can’t possibly win with the media letting everyone know that she intends to sue the state of Texas over the primary, and that she’s in complete denial of her current situation.

No one wants to vote for a litigious idiot.

Dorvillian on February 29, 2008 at 7:28 PM

I voted early today in my district in Texas.

It was busy.

I have seen it said here that people must be sure to vote within their party for local reasons – judges, state reps, etc. And this is true. Voting for the Presidential candidate was only one section of the ballot.

But here is another reason voting locally in primaries is important: issues.

These three issues were on the ballot to be voted on today. Presumably if these get the support they need, they’ll be on the ballot later in the year.

1. Federal, state and local officials should be required to enforce US immigration laws in order to secure our borders.

2. The Texas legislature should make it a priority to protect the integrity of our election process by enacting legislation that requires voters to provide valid photo identification in order to cast a ballot in any and all elections conducted in the State of Texas.

(Side note: In what has become a ritual for me, I show my Drivers license, military ID AND voter registration card when I vote. The person checking the information said “I only need to see your registration sir.” I said, “No ma’am. I want you to see my state and military ID. And I would appreciate it if you would crosscheck them against my registration card.” “I don’t need to do that sir.”, she said. “Ma’am, I insist.” She did as I requested. It just doesn’t seem right NOT showing an ID to exercise the franchise.)

3. Every government body in Texas should be required to limit any annual increase in its budget and spending to the combined increase of the population and inflation unless it first gets voter approval to exceed the allowed annual growth or in the case of an official state of emergency.

I’m retyping these from the sample ballot, but all of these items were on the election ballot as well, in addition to the local and state candidates and presidential candidates.

We are voting for more than a president folks. All elections matter!

I don’t think I understand the whole voting for Obama thing. I guess I can understand it at some level (either not wanting McCain or Hilldog), but in Texas you didn’t have to vote for McCain.

ALL of the presidential candidates were on the ballot. Even those who have dropped out. AND there was a block for Uncommitted. If one were inclined to make a protest vote, this would have been the time and it could have been done WITHIN the party!

It seems to me that voting for either uncommitted or another R even if they’re out would be the way to show McCain something. Not voting for Obama for goodness sakes…

(Side note 2: A bit of conversation while waiting in line. Several folks were talking about their respective preference. A guy behind me asked me who my choice would be. “Frankly,”, I said, “I wouldn’t piss on any of the current choices if they were on fire.” Now this was hardly the answer which I think he was expecting. A bit crass? Umm, yes.)

And by current choices I mean any of those who are currently running.

Got some good laughs though…

catmman on February 29, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Please, Texas, and my birthstate Ohio, drive a stake through the heart of the beast while you can! A resurrection now and she will be the come back kid and unbeatable once the media is back behind her.

She won’t quit, she is already revising her demands now Obama must win all 4 March 4 contests. What a beast. Maybe she should try winning just one. She’s outspent, waa waa waa, maybe she’s just not liked.

Please end the Clintoon horror show asap or reap the result of eight more years of this disasterous duo.

dhunter on February 29, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Is this the same site that was cursing independents and dems for crossing over and voting for McCain??? Now tables are turned and it’s ok to vote in the Dem Primary??
Anyway – and Zetterson I agree with your statements on the ineffectual Deval – but Deval is not Obama… and truthfully Obama – the Messiah – scares the S*** out of me! I detest Hillary, but truthfully I think if she won she would be stronger against terrorism than Obama would ever be.
In an election I won’t vote for President – all will cause irreperable (sp??) damage to the US.
My last point – I don’t believe it was the non-conservatives that caused us to have no choice – that they are why we now have the neo-liberal McCain as the candidate. I totally disagree – I believe it was the big “C” Conservatives that did that. The religious bigotry – against a Mormon – or for a liberal shaman because he is a big “C” Christian – certainly helped. Additionally those that destroy a candidate over the litmus tests on social issues have also contributed to our not being able to offer a conservative candidate. I am sure there are good conservatives out there who may not share your social values – but they are true patriots who support America – small government, a strong military, enforced borders, etc. – until we embrace them rather than dissing them we will never get our country back.

unaffiliated on February 29, 2008 at 9:43 PM

It’s too late for that.

paul006 on February 29, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Acknowledged. But the long term damage to the country caused by Democrats would be greater. Or at least I’m hoping that a President McCain wouldn’t go past “moderate” when it comes to the courts. And hopefully we would be able to mount a good basis for future elections. Lord knows what will happen.

darii on February 29, 2008 at 11:03 PM

My bride and I are two Texans who will be proudly voting for Hillary in the primary in hopes of seeing the bloodletting, recriminations, bitterness, and ill-will grow and fester over on the Dem side as long as possible.

If we can’t have Hillary to run against in November, we can at least have a good knife-fight at the Denver convention to watch.

ShruteBeetsInc on February 29, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Lord knows what will happen.

darii on February 29, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Yes, He does.

Read the seven posts starting here.

Red Pill on February 29, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Early voting this year was bad. The officials did not want to allow me to cross party line, lecturing me that I could cross for the general election, but certainly not for the primary, that I had to vote according to my party registration. I insisted that in Texas I could vote whichever party I wanted in this primary. They finally relented and put me in another line. The three table phases occur whenever we vote; and we’ve had voting machines in our county over two years now. But they keep buying different machines and this time was different because there was absolutely no privacy! Upon signing in, we were given two print-out IDs and were required to be escorted by an official to the machine and answer questions as the official entered information prior to voting. There was no privacy; we could all view what each other were voting. We may as well have been writing on the chalk board. The computer voting machines were huge screens with florescent large print and no blinders separating all of the machines crammed together. I swear, just give me the paper ballot and let me sit between the cardboard dividers at the local elementary school. With paper ballots there are no interviews creating constant chatter while casting ballots with bright lights flashing. The only thing missing today was the whistle or siren blowing when we finally pushed the red “vote” button. Damn.

maverick muse on February 29, 2008 at 11:53 PM

ShruteBeetsInc on February 29, 2008 at 11:06 PM

*Cheering*

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 12:30 AM

maverick muse:

Just curious, what is the process of party registration in Texas? I have never registered as a Republican. I wouldn’t even know how to do it. Did they ask you what your party affiliation was? I think you should report the people who told you you couldn’t “cross party lines” to the Texas secretary of state. They’re violating election laws.

My whole family and I are crossing over to vote for Hillary on Tuesday. If I get any lip from Dem precinct workers I’m taking names.

Hillary is a dreadful candidate. Obama will be the nominee. However, Republicans in Texas need to help keep this thing going as long as we can. The FEC may rule that Maverick (idiot!) can’t raise $$ until the general starts. Meanwhile, if Obama is free of Hillary on Tuesday, he’ll start unloading on him. Remember Clinton vs. Dole in 1996?

chris999 on March 1, 2008 at 12:33 AM

Two tix to the Democratic convention would be pretty priceless at this point for an elephant in the room.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 12:57 AM

ShruteBeetsInc on February 29, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Ditto. My husband and I are also voting for Hillary on Tuesday. Let the bloodletting begin.

TexasBella on March 1, 2008 at 7:18 AM

For what? If your theory is based on the hope that the Republicans are actually going to win in ‘08, all you’re doing is making decisions based on false hope.

Zetterson on February 29, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Zetterson how do you have time to post anything with your day job at the DNC

KBird on March 1, 2008 at 7:26 AM

I moved to Texas from New York back in 2001 to be FREE from Hillary. It’s disappointing, to see people rally around this woman who will make such a blasted MESS of everything in government who live in one of the few real last FREE STATES that Texas provides. People can be who they want to be, and exercise freedom here not seen in whole other countries and states even in the USA.

Obama while being MORE liberal than Clinton will probably do as much damage to our national security and social issues as well. Obama will push for, without question ” hate crime ” nonsense, special treatment for “”””minorities”””” ( which are now WHITE PEOPLE ) and other nanny-state bureaucratic nonsense.

If one of these two people are elected our only hope as freedom loving, responsible and good Americans will be to elect state and local leaders who will fight either one of them who can’t wait to change our system of government to that of what we see in Great Brittan and other socialist big-government places in the world.

Mark our conservative words. The “””””Free healthcare”””””, price controls on oil, food, housing and every other handout these two want to yank out of the taxpayers wallet will bring this country to it’s knees. Nevermind the minimum wage at $8.00. These two will fight to make it in the 10-12$hr, further destroying our economy.

tx2654 on March 1, 2008 at 8:53 AM

I hope Republicans will cross over and vote for Hillary, unless there are important Republican contests in their districts.–chris999 on March 1, 2008 at 12:33 AM

One registers to be Republican the same as one registers to be Democrat. It is my understanding that forms are available online, though they must be signed in the presence of an official registrar. As far as voting goes, when we showed my registration card, they asked if I was registered Republican, to which I affirmed but adding THAT didn’t matter as to my vote. Without explanation, they were assigning mechanical ballots upon entry, which screen a voter would be assigned by the official computer host; and since crossing party lines is legal in Texas primaries, their question should have been which ticket would I like to vote, not to which party I was registered. When the Republican screen was offered, I said that I was voting Democrat, to which the argument ensued. Had I not been forcefully assertive, I would not have been given my choice. It was not a happy scene, as the room was crowded and the lines were growing, and the officials did not like giving me my way.

If Fred Thompson were on the ticket, I would still be a happy camper. As it is, John McCain keeps Freudian slips up front and personal on stage and on camera, sabotaging his own “dispririted” “conservative liberal” campaign. Hell will freeze before McCain will surrender to terrorists, but that won’t need to happen because he’s already in bed with the liberals. Even Sampson in his prime didn’t have a chance against his own whoring.

maverick muse on March 1, 2008 at 9:36 AM

Well, this Texas Republican is going to go vote for Hillary. I’m pretty much a single-issue voter: the War on Terror. I trust Hillary with that war more than Obama, since she would have Bill whispering in her ear, all he’d have is Michelle talking about how proud she is when he negotiates with terrorists. My real goal is to make them duke it out at the convention so they come into the general already bloodied. As an added benefit, I also researched the other Dems on the ballot and will vote for the most conservative Dem in the local races. It should be fun.

For those who say they won’t vote for McCain, you’ve got to remember the judges. We have a better chance of getting strict constructionists out of McCain than we do out of any Dem.

Kafir on March 1, 2008 at 9:44 AM

If it gets that far, when the Primary Election gets to NC, I plan on switching parties to vote for Hillary. I need the whole Hill/Barry thing to continue all the way to Denver so they can take their “Hot Air” to the highest levels.

nosiafd on March 1, 2008 at 10:18 AM

I know people think I’m crazy, but Hillary will be harder to beat in the general. Obama has no experiance, and is uber liberal. He won’t survive close scrutiny (and he will get it) Get Hillary out quick and put all the focus on Obambi. He will fall like a house of cards.

tottoritodd on March 1, 2008 at 11:01 AM

I think the idea of Republicans voting for Hillary now to keep her in the race is wrongheaded. It’s the baseball equivalent of not using your rested ace pitcher to put away your opponent in Game 6 on the road, on the presumption you’ll do it easily in Game 7 at home.

As any manager who’s been there will tell you, anything can happen in a Game 7 – in this case some last minute Al Qaeda pronouncement or smear articles in the Times, for starters. Anyone care to wager today where gas prices, the Dow, and Iraq will be in November?

The “35-years of experience” meme/lie of Hillary’s has gone without a serious challenge and we’ve no reason to believe that will change post-nomination. Therefore, Hillary vs. McGain becomes a much muddier distinction and easier for unknown events to swing in her favor.

On the contrary, Obama vs. McCain would be as clear-cut an idealogical choice as you can draw up. If, in that setting, Republicans can’t persuade a majority of Americans to vote their side, face it, we deserve to lose and come back to fight another day.

For years people on the Right whined that Clinton had co-opted Republican issues and if we only had a level playing field and an “honest liberal vs. conservative” race, we’d surely come out on top. Consider this a test of that argument.

sanguine4 on March 1, 2008 at 11:29 AM

i was a cross over in missouri and voted for obama.
i will vote for a repub/mccain this nov,but will be holding my nose,voting for mcain

vinllo on March 1, 2008 at 11:45 AM

I saw a bumper sticker that said “Life’s a Bitch, Don’t Vote For One.” So, I crossed the line and voted for Obama, mainly because I’m tired of the lying Clintons, but also because I think Obama would be more controllable than Hillary should the Dems win.

bluestater on March 1, 2008 at 12:16 PM

On FoxNews a few minutes ago: Texas Senator Leticia Van de Putte (D) stated that Republicans were not smart enough to cross over and vote for Hillary to increase the Republican vote in November. This blowhard of a Texas Senator thinks that the Democrats are finally going to assert some control over Texas this year. She is the one that led the flight of Democratic Senators out of the state to prevent a Quorum in the Senate for a crucial vote. She doesn’t represent my portion of San Antonio, but I’d like to see her removed.

Hammie

Hammie on March 1, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Add 43 more votes for Hillary, yes, I’m counting. We’re getting in touch with our family and friends, we’ll see what we can do here. I suggest the other Texans do the same.

TexasBella on March 1, 2008 at 2:33 PM

I feel dirty, we all do I think, voting for a Democrat. McCain isn’t much better. Our principles are compromised and it shouldn’t be this way, but it is.

Rest assured we will be voting Republican come November, unless we have an independent Newt/Mitt ticket thrown out there and then all bets are off.

TexasBella on March 1, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Excellent idea, TexasBella!!

bluestater on March 1, 2008 at 4:56 PM

When you vote, even if you are voting for the opponent of the person you intend to vote for, you should vote for the best of the matchup. Those people who are voting for clinton or obama based on them potentially being the worst candidate in a matchup may get their worst wishes — they may be voting for the next President of the United States. Be that a Democrat or a Republican, one hopes it’s the best we have, not someone who made the lineup because of someone’s idea of revenge or kneecapping of the opposition.

unclesmrgol on March 1, 2008 at 5:10 PM

This Texan held his nose and voted in the Democrat primary. When the official asked which primary ballot I said “Democrat – for the day.” It was even more painful casting a vote for hillary.
We are hoping she wins and stays in the primary long enough to make a total mess of the party. We are still trying to decide on whether or not to caucus Tuesday night.

Macksquared on March 1, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Guys, guys…

Obama is going to win the nomination, period. That is, unless Clinton completely backstabs him at the convention. I’ll cover that in a moment.

Given that we’re running against Obama regardless of what happens in Texas, the very best thing that can happen to the Republican party is a contentious Democratic convention. That can only happen if Hillary stays in the race, for which she must win Texas and Ohio.

Therefore, if Republicans cross over in Texas, they are not voting for who they want to run against; that’s already settled, we’re running against Obama whether we like it or not. What they’re voting for is an extension of the bloody squabbling within the Democratic party. That only happens if they vote for Clinton.

I repeat — it does not matter who’d be worse or better for the nation; the only reason for Republicans voting in Texas is to make the Democrats fight each other longer. That’s why Republicans must vote for Clinton if they’re voting in the Democratic primary. (Mind you, I don’t approve of the strategy — I think we should let the Democrats pick their own candidate. But that’s a different conversation…)

Now, if Hillary does manage to steal the nomination from Obama — and that’s what it would be, stealing — the Democratic party will simply burst into flames, and McCain will win in a walk. Again, nothing better could happen to the Republicans.

(Unrelated to this topic, please visit my political blog, “Plumb Bob Blog: Squaring the Culture,” at http://www.plumbbobblog.com. Thanks.)

philwynk on March 1, 2008 at 6:29 PM

I’m voting for the beast on Tuesday, for reasons philwynk just stated.

pullingmyhairout on March 1, 2008 at 7:05 PM

By the way, anybody who does not regard Obama as dangerous, does not understand who he is.

Obama has spent practically his entire life among radical Marxists. His mother was one; his boyhood mentor was one; his friends in college were radicals; his first employer was a radical, he was trained in Chicago by radicals. He met with radicals on his way to power. He continues to meet with radicals, to think like a radical, and to sound like a radical organizer, preying upon peoples’ fears. He votes like one, too; he’s got the farthest-left record in the Senate, as far to the left as Ron Paul is to the right.

I write about this on my blog; come take a look.

Now, will he be able to govern? Probably not; he’s got no chops, he’ll be a repeat of Carter. But I remember the Carter years; 16% inflation, 20% prime rate, humiliation before Iranian students, ridiculous restraints on business. Think that’s bad enough? and what he will manage to accomplish will be to turn our sovereignty over to the UN in half a dozen places (.7% of our GNP in foreign aid from our government to the UN? please) and plant a radical presence on the Supreme Court for the next 30 years.

Still think he’ll be harmless?

philwynk on March 1, 2008 at 7:18 PM

philwynk on March 1, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Boom-bada-bing. Nice post. I’m not as well educated as most here but to me it doesn’t take much to understand that a Obama President, a Dem House, and a Dem Senate is a very scary prospect.

Limerick on March 1, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Limerick on March 1, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Yes it is, and IMHO that will be a good thing. After that combination perhaps the GOP and America will learn a thing or 2.

DannoJyd on March 1, 2008 at 7:42 PM

After that combination perhaps the GOP and America will learn a thing or 2.

DannoJyd on March 1, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Danno, perhaps is the key word. Do not let this country slide into irretrievable socialism based on a perhaps scenario. It’s not a given that a Reagan will emerge.

Entelechy on March 1, 2008 at 10:28 PM

I told my son and daughter in law to vote for Hillary. Our race is all but finished and I’d like to see a brokered Democrat convention. They’re both Republicans and in the end will support our ticket in November, but why not have a little fun making a mess of the Democratic convention?

Jeanette on March 2, 2008 at 6:48 AM

I wouldn’t vote for a Democrat in an online poll, I’m sure as hell not going to do it in any election.

I don’t vote for Democrats, let them decide on their own worthless candidate.

NoDonkey on March 2, 2008 at 10:33 AM

I don’t vote for Democrats, let them decide on their own worthless candidate.

Now that’s wisdom! The Dem voters are making enough of a mess. Why inflate their vote counts during the primary? I don’t think I’m being naive. With proportional delegate selection, the Dem convention is going to be decided by the “superdelegates.” So vote in your own primary. There are plenty of state and local races.

Al in St. Lou on March 2, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Interesting…dick turbin just threw the beast under the bus on fox news a little while ago.. apparently they don’t love her, either. Keep it up, people, even if we need a new thread. Ohio, what say you?

thebookkeeper on March 2, 2008 at 7:27 PM

I BIG thumbs up to the people that take, find and post these pictures of the lefties looking like the lunatic freaks that they are.

darwin-t on March 3, 2008 at 6:24 AM

My daughter and I both crossed over to vote for Hillary because I believe she would be beaten by McCain in the GE. Unfortunately, there are so many uninformed voters in the US that I believe Obama would beat McCain. If that happens, hopefully we would only have to endure 4 years of socialism, and it would not have a sufficient chance to ruin the country long term.

Texas Mom on March 3, 2008 at 10:08 AM

I have friends in Texas who are torn between voting for Hillery because of their extreme distrust of her and the desire to vote for her in order to prolong the Democratic infighting a la Rush. I’m not sure which I’d do if given the opportunity.

TooTall on March 3, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Zetterson said: “I would encourage Republicans to continue to vote for Obama throughout this primary season.”
I’m a non-partisan but i did vote for Obama because the RNC in CA closed the primary to only Repubs. It was the best I could do given the choices.
As far as McPain is concerned, he isn’t even a Republican but I will have to put on my hazmat suit and fill in the bubble next to his name in Nov. If he chooses Romney for his running mate then it will be easier to do so. The bottom line: he’s the only one of the 3 who holds any conservative values.

Christine on March 3, 2008 at 12:08 PM

infidelpride on February 29, 2008 at 3:38 PM

A word of warning. Don’t count her out just because the house landed on top of her. You have to wait for her legs to shrivel and then curl up so you can get the ruby slippers.

TooTall on March 3, 2008 at 1:05 PM

This from Pew Research via NRO:
“A quarter of Democrats (25%) who back Clinton for the nomination say they would favor McCain in a general election test against Obama. The “defection” rate among Obama’s supporters if Clinton wins the nomination is far lower; just 10% say they would vote for McCain in November, while 86% say they would back Clinton.”
Some other points to consider:
1. Neither of these candidates can lock up the nomination by delegates alone, unless one of them takes the remaining primaries by 75% or more.
2. Hillary is not going to drop out if she loses tomorrow.
3. The maneuvering to reinstate the MI and FL delegates has officially begun.
4. Obama is by far the weaker candidate in the general – see above as a starter.
5. I would crawl across a half mile of broken glass to vote against a Clinton, and so would most conservatives.
Ergo, I vote tomorrow in the dem primary for the the Big O.

Think_b4_speaking on March 3, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I am a Republican, I voted for McCain this morning in Houston Texas. Every candidate was listed on the ballot, I am not sure why since most have dropped out. However, I sure wanted to vote for Mitt, perhaps he will run with McCain for the vp slot. Last night, my home recorder received a political message from Obama! I could not believe it – they are calling republicans, too? No cross over for me! I cannot stand Obama and his wife. All they do is give false hope. If Obama does win, it will be a fast track to impeachment with all the false promises they give to everyone!

txstar on March 4, 2008 at 12:43 PM

So I gave myself a stomach-ache. When they asked what party I’d be voting in, I muttered “Democrat”. Then, they stamped my voting card, saying that I voted “Democrat” so that I could get into tonight’s big party free. I feel so ashamed.

I voted Hillary, because Obama scares me. He won’t keep us safe. I’m a Republican through and through, but I’d pick Hillary over Obama every time.

ivybelle1 on March 4, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Well, THIS Texas Republican isn’t going to vote for Obama, Hillary OR McCain.

Fred! gets my vote today.

SimplyKimberly on March 4, 2008 at 3:24 PM