Good work, Drudge: Brits pull Harry out of Afghanistan, send him home; Update: Taliban vows revenge

posted at 11:09 am on February 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Per yesterday’s post, mightn’t Drudge have been doing the Brits’ secret bidding by spilling the beans? Er, probably not: Harry was due back anyway “in a matter of weeks,” which, on the one hand, makes the leak seem not so bad and on the other makes it totally gratuitous. Bummer:

Sky defence correspondent Geoff Meade said it could take at least 24 hours to bring him back to the UK.

He added: “There will be a degree of frustration – not least from the Prince himself – and anger.”

But he said that Harry had proved himself as a solider and, with media support, future deployments to war zones would be possible.

Yeah, where? They already denied him a tour in Iraq because the mujahedeen would be gunning for him. Then again, he’s not entirely safe at home either: “Once this … comes out, every single person that supports them will be trying to slot me.”

As for the media ethics angle, Channel 4 newstool Jon Snow, whom old-school HA readers will remember from this almost comic display of pro-Palestinian bias, gives Drudge a pat on the back for having the stones he himself lacked to break the conspiracy of silence. To which the Guardian responds by wondering when, precisely, temporary media blackouts became some sort of novelty:

Editors accepted a purely voluntary “understanding” with the Ministry of Defence that specifically stated that the blackout applied only to his military duties in Afghanistan and not to any of his other hobbies or activities, such as late night socialising.

In return there would be special access for the media to the prince before, during and after his deployment which could be reported when he returned home [in early April], without any interference by the Royal family or the military except for reasons of operational security…

In fact media blackouts are not that unusual. We do not report kidnaps, at the request of the police, if a hostage’s life might be a risk. We often know about the movements of politicians or royalty so that coverage can be planned but do not report them until they are safe.

Exit question: How much of the ethical question here is informed by one’s opinion of the royals and the propaganda value of having Harry successfully complete his tour? It’s no surprise that a leftist like Snow was itching to blow the story open, even though the actual news value in it is fairly slight. It is kind of a surprise that the Guardian didn’t take the same position.

Update: Jihadist degenerates try to snatch victory from the jaws of propaganda defeat.

According to a Taliban spokesman, the prince’s presence in Helmand province is a direct sign of the British Royal Family’s stance against Muslims and warned it would merely encourage further insurgent attacks against British soldiers.

Zabihullah Mujahid said: “Prince Harry’s presence in Afghanistan encourages our fighters to launch more attacks on British forces.

“The Royal Family is now directly participating in the aggression against Muslims.”…

Mr Mujahid also suggested the British are facing defeat in Afghanistan and that news of the prince’s deployment was deliberately leaked in order to raise spirits.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

LevStrauss on February 29, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Smartest guy in the room.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Yeah, and they also said he killed 30 Taliban, but you chose to believe the Royals embattled in a scandal involving the Death of Di would ever allow that. You are out of you mind, MY FRIEND. I’d like to sell you beach front property in Nebraska.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Calling in airstrikes results in numerous deaths, and generally the F.O. is given shared credit for these kills, if one is in a unit inclined to keep track of such things.

joewm315 on February 29, 2008 at 8:51 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM

They might be including those Taliban killed in airstrikes he ordered which makes it seem less fantastical. The Royals are the subject of thousands of nutty conspiracy theories i.e. they orchestrated Di’s death, they’re involved in the international heroin trade etc. I’ve no reason to doubt the news reports whereas you’ve openly admitted you want to “slime the lime” (the only clever phrase you’ve ever uttered).

I’ve always wanted to live in Nebraska, I hear the sea air is good for you. :)

aengus on February 29, 2008 at 8:55 PM

F.O?

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 8:56 PM

I’ve always wanted to live in Nebraska, I hear the sea air is good for you. :)

aengus on February 29, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Touche’.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Maybe Prince Harry will be back to fight on St. Crispin’s Day after the treacherous Sir Drudge has been dispatched.

bobthepeeler on February 29, 2008 at 9:04 PM

They probably wouldn’t even allow him to carry a gun. Probably scared to death he’s off himself cleaning it, or dropping it when the revely horn sounded.

Trust me. No one could have been happier than Harry when he got pulled out. Finally, he can get home in time for tea and crumpites, smoking weed, and he doesn’t have to be surrounded by dirty peasants.

Next, the british will tell us Prince William is working on a cure for AIDS.

I’m at the point now where I can officially say the French are tougher than the British

While the other soldiers were hovering together to keep warm in a foxhole, Harry had his own barracks loaded with toys, stuffed animals, a bubble blowing machine, twister, and had one of those beds that looks like a racecar.

When he gets back to Britain his first order of business will be a croquet match with the Romnee boyz.

While other soldiers had to hump twenty with full pack, Harry did aerobics with those rediculous leg warmers we saw in the eightees.

Harry’s favorite part of his deployment was when his commander went over how to retreat.

Harry wouldn’t have made a very good soldier anyway. It’s real hard to sneak up on the enemy when you have the kids in front of your every step dropping rose pedals.

Harry went to Afghanistan after he saw how much fun the other British soldiers were having when the Iranian gun boats kidnapped them.

Harry will probably make Drudge a knight or a Duke. As long as Drudge doesn’t mess up his victory parade everything’s cool

Right now the Romeny boys are tugging on Mitt’s coattail and crying, “We want to be war heroes, too.”

My sources tell me that Harry was extremely disappointed that he didn’t get to address the opium issue before retreat.

Here they are. I know funny. This is funny. Now let me preface this by again saying, I respect Harry and his service, but was having some fun at the expense of the Royals. Someone please tell me, that this isn’t funny, or else.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 9:09 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Tom Paine and I think it is quite healthy.

LevStrauss on February 29, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Tom Paine and I think it is quite healthy.

Tom Paine lived in another century. For the British to junk their monarchy in 2008 would be the final nail in their coffin. Look I’m a republican like yourself and my grandfather fought the British in part so that I wouldn’t have to swear an oath of allegiance to Mrs. Windsor but you’re being absolutist in trying to apply republican values universally.

English republicanism has historically been a disaster from Oliver Cromwell to Cherie Blair and its practical application today would mean the total destruction of Britain. Universalism-applying the same principles to all countries, all peoples be they Mexican, Muslim, Swedish whatever-will entail universal chaos, WWIII probably.

aengus on February 29, 2008 at 9:31 PM

my grandfather fought the British

aengus on February 29, 2008 at 9:31 PM

When? 1812? Dude that makes you like 150 years old. Somebody has been livin real good. lol

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 9:37 PM

I’m not American, I’m Irish. It was in 1919-1922.

aengus on February 29, 2008 at 9:42 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Maybe aengus’s grandfather was from Argentina, or *gasp* Northern Ireland!

p40tiger on February 29, 2008 at 9:44 PM

aengus on February 29, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Hey not fair, you tricked me. Wait a minute, you know my whole schtick started with your comments about JFK and the Moon landing, so you are partly responsible. Also, I’m a Regan with fam from Cork.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 9:54 PM

p40tiger on February 29, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Argentina has the largest Irish diaspora outside of the US and Britain and one of the driving impulses of the Falklands War was the determination of Argentinians of Irish descent to stick it to the British.

I have family connections to Northern Ireland. My pro-Britishness in general and support for the British Royal family in particular bemuses my friends. I made my best friend watch The Queen with me when it came on tv for which I owe him big time. LOL.

aengus on February 29, 2008 at 9:58 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Didn’t mean to trick you. My name is a big giveaway. It’s my actual Christian name. I was basptised after St. Aengus. Always nice to talk to a Corkman. I hope you won’t take offence if I say it explains your general oddness. :)

aengus on February 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM

aengus on February 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Wouldn’t life suck and this blog suck ass, if we were always in complete agreement? The irish are special in a sense that we can lock horns, do battle, and at the end of the day share a pint or two. The italians and greeks are the same way, except they literally beat each other with chairs and stuff.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Haha yeah I suppose you’re right. Here’s to many more disagreements in the future.

aengus on February 29, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Cheers.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Get a room.

p0s3r on February 29, 2008 at 11:05 PM

His deployment to Iraq was denied because the press was busy running their pie-holes prior to him being deployed…essentially letting every jihadi know a juicy target was on its way.

As for Drudge reporting this, this is the first time I ever disagreed with what he has reported. Doing this was stupid. As for those who support it, think of how PO’d you would be if a Euro-weenie media type decided to publicize the President’s route?

91Veteran on February 29, 2008 at 11:38 PM

p0s3r its not incumbent upon me to maintain a permanent and charmless hostility towards my political opponents. As far as I know its mostly leftists who do that (the personal is political blah, blah, blah). I take back none of the disparaging things I said about The Chosen One and his idiotic political statements. Get a room yourself-and go sulk in it.

aengus on February 29, 2008 at 11:40 PM

aengus on February 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM

God help me. I’m both Orange and Green.

Connie on February 29, 2008 at 11:47 PM

I’ve noticed a lot of Irish, Russian , and Brits here now. Would it be safe to say that aengus and connie are both new Hotarheads? By the way aengus, my idiotic political statements are good for ratings so, mind your p and q’s please lad.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 11:53 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 11:53 PM

Nah…I was one of the very first to register at HA.

Connie on March 1, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Connie on March 1, 2008 at 12:07 AM

apologies. You have been dormant then.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 9:09 PM

I’ve had this ongoing battle all day over the quality of my humor. Go to the above and please give me your take. You seem like a objective voice of reason.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 12:18 AM

It’s a mix of self-fulfillment and a feel of guilt.

Indy Conservative

Or maybe he’s someone who’s aware of the fortunate circumstances of his birth, is grateful for that, and wishes to give back something to his country.

From news reports Harry spent considerable time discussing his desire to serve in combat with his grandmother, who supported his wishes. He transferred to a different unit specifically so he could train for a task needed in Afghanistan, and when the military finally decided to send him it was his grandmother who gave him the word. Figurehead or not, she still outranks him.

I’m no fan of royalty in general but other than give birth to a rather feckless first born, Elizabeth has done little to dishonor herself. She’s met most heads of state and many of the significant personages of the past 70 years, and their assessment of her is that she’s smart, informed, and aware of her duties as queen. It doesn’t surprise me that Harry spent a lot of time discussing his deployment with her.

“We’ve had a lot of talks about it since April, the last time it was supposed to happen,” he said in an interview given before he set off.

“She was very ‘pro’ me going then so I think she’s relieved that I get the chance to do what I want to do.”

He added: “She’s a very good person to talk to about it, her knowledge of the army is amazing for a grandmother – I suppose it’s slightly her job.”

I love that last little part about a knowledge of military affairs being “slightly her job”.

rokemronnie on March 1, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Indy Conservative,

Do you want to win the war with the jihadis?

If so then consider that this story helps win that war. Is it propaganda? Sure it is, the good kind. If it makes Brits proud to be fighting in Afghanistan (and keeps the Labour party from bailing), it’s a good thing.

rokemronnie on March 1, 2008 at 12:28 AM

“…Per yesterday’s post, mightn’t Drudge have been doing the Brits’ secret bidding by spilling the beans? Er, probably not: Harry was due back anyway “in a matter of weeks,…”

I’d say your initial instinctual take was right-on, AP.

Bear in mind the MoD dropped Harry into Helmand Province on Christmas Eve – meaning, during the winter months when the Taliban/Muji campaigns are traditionally quiescent due to unforgiving weather conditions.

But then come credible reports of an unexpectedly major Taliban resurgence energized by the numerical, financial, munitional and mullahnic contributions of their fervid Waziri-Pak Pushtun brethren, together with clear signs of an earlier-than-usual spring campaign. Which will only be enflamed further by the incoming flux of the ultimate battle magnet: 1,200 US MARINES deploying FOR COMBAT in support of their energy-and-resource-wasted British comrades, and under British command, IN HELMAND!

Wouldn’t you say Windsor and MoD would waft gentle breezes of leak approval Drudge’s way? And why Drudge, do you say?

Well, as you can tell from the Telegraph item on “…the most powerful journalist in the world”, as well as an earlier rare UK Times interview of the reclusive news aggregator wherein he expressed a very great esteem for the British press, there’s a mutual admiration society between Drudge and the Brit journo world.

British newspapers, specifically, owe the resurgence of their fortunes – based on a financially-successful increasing presence on the Web specifically directed at the massive US Internet audience – to the links that Drudge sends their way.

In short, Drudge has single-handedly resurrected the British newspaper industry, of whatever ideological ilk, and they all now focus their hopes-for-the-future business strategies on the objective of attracting a dominant share of the lucrative US news-audience market.

Mojamaiko on March 1, 2008 at 1:01 AM

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 12:18 AM

I don’t follow the Royal Family closely, although I do remember where I was and what I was doing when Di died. I would say Americans consider them in these 4 ways:

1) They don’t care at all.
2) They follow them like Hollywood celebs.
3) They ridicule the idea of royalty.
4) They respect the idea that they are an inseparable and
important part of Britain.

I think the Queen is twice as smart as Sufi-lite Prince Charles and certainly had quite a bit to do with Harry’s stint in Afghanistan. Old England is not going down w/o a fight as long as she’s around, and if she’s been able to instill a sense of patriotism in her grandchildren, then she has my full respect. More importantly, if her actions (and Harry’s) can spill over into the general populace, the Brits still have a chance to curtail the rampant Islamist influence.

So, that said, I’m not going deride what was very probably a well-thought-out event. Get him in. Get him out.

We’ll see what happens when Harry gets back and where the paparazzi catches him next. That will be telling.

Connie on March 1, 2008 at 1:10 AM

Connie on March 1, 2008 at 1:10 AM

You may have missed his point, or even better, ignored it. This really isn’t about Harry or royalty. It’s about TCO. He’s begging for someone to validate his own opinion that he posts very funny stuff. He knows he looks silly on this and is trying to recover by begging for a positive review of his humor rather than just doing a simple mea culpa and letting it pass.

a capella on March 1, 2008 at 1:38 AM

I’m cynical enough to realize that Drudge “leaked” this when he was “told” to, and innocent enough to love the bravery of a young man, born into unasked for privilege, seeking the ultimate way to serve his country. And judging by the reaction across the blogosphere, I don’t think I’m alone.

winewife on March 1, 2008 at 1:39 AM

Connie on March 1, 2008 at 1:10 AM

I think it’s terrific that he went, regardless of his role. I smell a conservative revolution in Britain. It will take a few years, but he Islamic imports don’t know how to stay below the radar there in the isle, and will probably feed the desire for getting back to basics. Three cheers for the queen.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 1:43 AM

a capella on March 1, 2008 at 1:38 AM

I try to stay away from ad hominems and stick to issues. Consistent arrogance will get my ire up on occasion.

Connie on March 1, 2008 at 1:49 AM

a capella on March 1, 2008 at 1:38 AM

Got you right where I want you.lol

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 1:59 AM

he looks silly

a capella on March 1, 2008 at 1:38 AM

No wonder you didn’t find the humor in it. You are still using terms like “silly”. Do you still say peachy and flakey? Look there is probably a sock-hop going on right now. Fire up the GTO and get down to the general store before you miss it BEAV.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 2:03 AM

Still wiping the tears from my eyes.

(The Romney stuff was too forced, though. Stay with your point.)

Saltysam on March 1, 2008 at 12:58 AM

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 2:26 AM

a capella

Don’t ever bring a knife to a gunfight. That’s when you get sent home with your tail between your legs.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 2:28 AM

F.O?

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 29, 2008 at 8:56 PM

The eyes-on-ground for artillery and aircraft. The Army and Marines call them F.O.’s or forward observers, and the Air Force calls them combat controllers, I believe. I have a lot of respect for them, and that’s what it sounds like Harry was doing.
That’s probably where the “30 kills” number came from.

joewm315 on March 1, 2008 at 3:50 AM

Harry was a FAC (Forward Air Controller) in British Army terms, also known as a JTAC in Yank grunt terms.

“Thirty kills” were the estimated “Terry Talebans” (as the Brits term the Talibs) killed in a kinetic contact his platoon made while out on patrol.

Mojamaiko on March 1, 2008 at 4:10 AM

After watching Laura Ingraham on this, I think AP should put up that clip.

Connie on March 1, 2008 at 4:28 AM

Lools like William might be seeing some action soon as WELL

JetBoy on March 1, 2008 at 6:20 AM

Late to the blog but managed to read enough of it to see that THE CHEESY ONE has once again turned a blog into an “all about me” kind of thing.
Harry did an honorable job and for honorable reasons and I doubt THE CHEESY ONE would make a pimple on his butt.
THE CHEESY ONE doesn’t display humor as much as he does a sickness in him that he seems unable to control. Trying to pass his ravings off as humor does not fly . It’s a meanness not humor that makes THE CHEESY ONE tick.
Next, I suppose, he will regale us with his superior I.Q. and tell us that we are no match for his intellect. So I will remind him that high IQ’s are of not much use to those like him that are not capable of controlling their thought process.
This blog would be better off without the vile content of his posts, so I’m off to find a post that isn’t all about THE CHEESY ONE, see ya.

leanright on March 1, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Ummm…apparently, anything in the world encourages you pieces of filth to launch more attacks on EVERYONE.

Filthy pigs. You’re just angry that the even the Royal Family is getting in the game and kicking your throat-slitting, filthy mysoginist terrorist asses.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

Good Lt on March 1, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Willliam is pissed that Chamberlain stole his idea of a worthless peace deal.

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 2, 2008 at 2:55 AM

Muslims offended AGAIN?

Oh my goodness.

drjohn on March 2, 2008 at 4:50 AM

No way. Have you ever eaten Brit food? No, the cheese-eating surrender monkeys are still at the top of the wimp list.

fgmorley on March 2, 2008 at 7:53 AM

THE CHOSEN ONE on March 1, 2008 at 2:03 AM

There is a sock puppet hop going right now on in this thread

A sock hop would be several grades improvement

The true Prince presented himself well and was a fair relection upon his nation.

The puppet Prince still seeks a nation, yet lacks the weapons of conquest.

Alas and alack,
Do thy false tears cascade
Down furrowed countenace
Full undismay’d

When Fancy’s flight
Leads Puck astray
Both Might and Right
Chose not to play

entagor on March 2, 2008 at 2:32 PM

typo:

The true Prince presented himself well and was a fair relection reflection upon his nation.

entagor on March 2, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Mr?! Mr??!!! WTF?! PC will be the death of us all!

kcd on March 3, 2008 at 2:28 PM