We can’t abandon Iraq now, says … Angelina Jolie?

posted at 5:10 pm on February 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

Something for everyone here. The right gets a high-profile piece of anecdotal evidence about progress in Iraq to compensate for the media’s polite neglect and the left gets to sneer about wingnuts looking to glamorpuss actresses for good news on the war even as they themselves ignore qualified opinion. It’s the same fissure you saw the other day with McCain vs. Obama: “What do we do now?” versus “Bush created this mess!”, the latter casting an abandonment strategy as some sort of serves-you-right punishment. Jolie, to her credit, isn’t going for it:

My visit left me even more deeply convinced that we not only have a moral obligation to help displaced Iraqi families, but also a serious, long-term, national security interest in ending this crisis.

Today’s humanitarian crisis in Iraq — and the potential consequences for our national security — are great. Can the United States afford to gamble that 4 million or more poor and displaced people, in the heart of Middle East, won’t explode in violent desperation, sending the whole region into further disorder?

What we cannot afford, in my view, is to squander the progress that has been made. In fact, we should step up our financial and material assistance…

As for the question of whether the surge is working, I can only state what I witnessed: U.N. staff and those of non-governmental organizations seem to feel they have the right set of circumstances to attempt to scale up their programs. And when I asked the troops if they wanted to go home as soon as possible, they said that they miss home but feel invested in Iraq. They have lost many friends and want to be a part of the humanitarian progress they now feel is possible.

She’s on the same wavelength here as Pam Hess was. Watch that clip if you missed it last year.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

She’s donated over $25 million dollars. Google is your friend.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Google is not my friend. I can’t believe 90% of what I “google”.

And if the $25 million dollars is so, then why does she need my money to help the Iraqi moms and dads?

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 7:17 PM

She’s donated over $25 million dollars. Google is your friend.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2008 at 7:14 PM

And even if true, how does that make her a foreign policy expert?

Is Soros a foreign policy expert?

Is OBL?

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Google is not my friend. I can’t believe 90% of what I “google”.

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 7:17 PM

You think she should have to foot the bill?

SnarkVader on February 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Maybe I’ll go see Beowulf now.

Mojave Mark on February 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM

And even if true, how does that make her a foreign policy expert?

Is Soros a foreign policy expert?

Is OBL?

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Who said it did? And please tell me you’re not comparing Jolie to OBL.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Jon Voight is a big-time supporter of the war.

AUINSC on February 28, 2008 at 7:07 PM

That may be because he has never been in one.

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Is this the “chicken hawk” argument?

chewydog on February 28, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Though..

I like Jessica Biel and Jessica Alba better.. :)

Jolie’s OK..

(Don’t tell anyone, but Since Biel is a lib and off limits… , MKH kinda reminds me of her.. and is “Conservative”) >:}

Chakra Hammer on February 28, 2008 at 7:21 PM

And that tells you all you need to know about where MB4 is coming from.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2008 at 7:16 PM

You see, but you do not observe.

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 7:22 PM

You see, but you do not observe.

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 7:22 PM

You type, but you do not think.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2008 at 7:23 PM

I’m very surprised at this thread.
The story? I know. Jolie has a very sharp mind, and, Andy, she has become an incredible force for humanitarian good in this world. That, sir, is something you simply cannot argue with – if you are using facts.
Is she misguided in other ways? Sure. Is that a reason to spew boiling hot hatred at her?
I really can’t believe the comments in here. This is not Hot Air. I’ve been transported to a liberal hate blog in the twilight zone, where everyone is maligned no matter what they do, with the worst possible trashy, skanky language.
Debbie and Andy, please, please stop. We are classy, intelligent adults. Quite able to state our views poignantly without degrading our precious HA.

shibumiglass on February 28, 2008 at 7:25 PM

I’m seriously not a Jolie fan, I’m not a fan of much in Hollywood anymore. No one said she was a saint, no said she was trying to become one, and I find it ludicrous that she is being vilified for acting in apparent good conscience. This is the very thing that makes people wary of doing good deeds – someone along the way will still be pissed that you didn’t do it their way and so the good deed fades into nothingness. And then they are vilified for not doing enough. Oh well I’m sure Ms. Jolie is truly worried about what we all think and is losing sleep over it.

Enlightened on February 28, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Is this the “chicken hawk” argument?

chewydog on February 28, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Oh Heavens to Mercatroid no, das ist verboten.

Defeatist, cut-and-run, surrender, et all “arguements”, are all mucho hunky dorey, but that, as I said ist strengstens verboten.

Wash your mouth out with Seife.

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Liek I said – if she does go to Israel, she will be spat upon anyway because she didn’t go there first.

Come on “Enlightened”, tell me how you know this and why you said it? Do you have a problem with Israel or Jews? Give me your answer so I can become “Enlightened” too.

Andy in Agoura Hills on February 28, 2008 at 7:34 PM

I would like to know why everyone here seems to think its okay for “Enlightened” to smear Israel without any retribution? Yet, I am vilified for calling AJ a c–t. There must be some nuance I am missing.

Andy in Agoura Hills on February 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 6:56 PM

After reading this post, I’m now convinced that the reason you hate her has everything to do with the fact that she is stunningly beautiful, very successful, passionate about a good cause and puts MUCH OF HER OWN MONEY into this cause, and if you’ve ever paid any attention to her off the screen, you also know she is very intelligent. Oh, and she has Brad. whoopie.
MB4, you have just proven to everyone that she couldn’t possibly do anything to ever earn a good word from you.
If a Conservative said or did anything like this, every one of you would be applauding. And that’s a fact that you just can’t argue.

shibumiglass on February 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Although I am gratefull for the opportunity to post comments at this site,
I fear that this last open registration let in WAY to many idoits. I truly enjoyed the consice comments that used to grace these pages. Now it’s mostly a bunch of senseless rambling. Can we just back up the time machine a couple of weeks and get a muligan?

Ltmousseman on February 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Andy in Agoura Hills on February 28, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Tell me, Andy…how much does being Debbie’s house boy pay?

SnarkVader on February 28, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Andy in Agoura Hills on February 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM

I think he’s referring to Schlussel stating she didn’t want Jolie in Israel anyway, and that people would piss on her being there because her intentions weren’t to personally fight jihadis.

SouthernDem on February 28, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Debbie, on the other hand, is batshit insane.
SnarkVader

Right on. You get it!
Debbie Schlussel

SouthernDem on February 28, 2008 at 7:41 PM

You type, but you do not think.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2008 at 7:23 PM

You read, but you do not comprehend.

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Tell me, Andy…how much does being Debbie’s house boy pay?

SnarkVader on February 28, 2008 at 7:37 PM

I refuse to respond to the person you responded to Snark-

Earlier I said Ms. Jolie would be spat upon if she went to Israel because in reading this thread, quite obviously there was a poster here that stated they want her out of Israel, but also slammed her for not going. So in essence the poster spat on her in this thread. With quite a bit of venom as well. I guess some posters don’t read what was previously posted to understand the context of the subsequent posts, thus the idiots can’t understand my statement. Once again – Not Anti-Jew. Just pro-Jolie in re her humanitarian efforts.

Enlightened on February 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM

PS – Enlightened is a female. Just sayin.

Enlightened on February 28, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Debbie, on the other hand, is batsh*t insane.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Remind me again…when was I talking to you?

I think Debbie is a batsh*t crazy raving loon and believe me, it’s not only about this. The list is long. Don’t like it? Scroll on by.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Keep the foul language to yourself and away from your children.

Chakra Hammer on February 28, 2008 at 7:50 PM

shibumiglass on February 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM

You are very confused.

I don’t hate her at all, I just don’t worship Hollywood and think that they are all a bunch or foreign policy gurus, that’s all. What is so hard to understand about that?

BTW, if you think that she is stunningly beautiful, you need glasses or contacts or lasiks or something.

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 7:51 PM

SnarkVader on February 28, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.
- Confucius.

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Not surprised at this.

Jolie has never been the liberal moonbat (politically) that people assumed. Sure, in some of her personal life she has made some strange… (OK… totally ‘whacked out’) decisions. But she isn’t the brainless marxist that most of her peers are.

I had a lot of respect for her even when I too assumed she was your typical limousine liberal do-gooder because she always put her money where her mouth is.

Then about 3 years ago, I read some speech of hers to the UN or some other gathering of similar useless international bureaucrats, and thought “Wow! This gal is halfway to being a clone of John Bolton. (fortunately without the mustache ;-)”

I said ‘halfway’; don’t fly off the handle and accuse me of COMPLETE idiocy.

Since then, I have even come to the point of enjoying her movies.

Besides, ANY really hot chick who does a lot of her own stunts and can ‘work hurt’ in the movies would get a few points of respect from me.

LegendHasIt on February 28, 2008 at 7:59 PM

I’m not a fan of anyone in Hollywood either, but I have to say I’m impressed with Ms. Jolie’s intelligent interpretation of what’s going on in Iraq. She gets credit in my book too, for being brave enough to come out and say it, especially when Hollywood has its head planted firmly in the sand.

Maybe Hollywood will wake up when they realize that anti-American movies will flop, as recent ones have proven, and that movies like Vantage Point, which actually portrays terrorists as such, and Americans as the good guys, will do well at the box office.

I don’t mean wake up and be pro-American, because they won’t, but they will be pro-dollar.

waterfall on February 28, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Wow, that was cool. I saw her picture in the Stars and Stripes last year visiting troops… probably the most unreported high-profile visit ever, which is even more to her credit.

joewm315 on February 28, 2008 at 8:04 PM

shibumiglass on February 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Ridiculous on it’s face.

I can argue with a fence post.

In fact . … …. …. ….. …

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 8:06 PM

All three of you are ignorant of the facts.

Andy in Agoura Hills on February 28, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Do tell!

I said I agreed with something DS said about the treatment of the Palestinians by Jordan and Syria, I said that Jolie is misinformed on the historical facts but not evil, I said that DS uses tabloid gossip tactics, and I cited a vulgar sentence of yours as something I recoil from but DS cheered.

I defy you to find a single “fact” that I got wrong.

Actually, nevermind. You’re a constantly simmering pot of anger and you are incapable of separating your own emotions from what people actually say.

Buy Danish on February 28, 2008 at 8:11 PM

I think this is wonderful news. However I must state again, the adolescent behavoir of some male posters is really turning me off. Are these posters teenagers that have to bring sex into every discussion? Yesterday was how hot MKH is, today it’s fantasizing on Angelina. It’s getting real old and played. I appreciate intelligent comments. Yet when the bloggers leave foolish exit questions it just encourages the posters more. I would like to see more maturity.
Angelina made good statements period.

Conservatives R Us on February 28, 2008 at 8:11 PM

I can argue with a fence post.

MB4 on February 28, 2008 at 8:06 PM

lol. You’re on, babe. ;)
(unless that was supposed to be a smack-down of me, in which case i’d have to say sorry for being a good-natured idiot.)
BTW, there’s a great Jindal thread up – let’s all go over there and celebrate!

shibumiglass on February 28, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Stop the presses! Schlussel finds another anti-Semite!

corona on February 28, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Conservatives R Us on February 28, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Maybe you should read Michelle Malkin’s description of this blog. Click on “About”^^^^. Note the “fun” part.

Buy Danish on February 28, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Keep the foul language to yourself and away from your children.

Chakra Hammer on February 28, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Aren’t you presumptuous…

SnarkVader on February 28, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Ah, elle est vraiment très jolie!

Tzetzes on February 28, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Yay. A hot Hollywood tart says something marginally sensible.

Cookie?

spmat on February 28, 2008 at 9:31 PM

It’s yea. (Just sayin’.)

Tzetzes on February 28, 2008 at 9:34 PM

No. It’s yay.

spmat on February 28, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Angelina, darling, you can kiss any future Oscars goodbye.

prairiemain on February 28, 2008 at 9:39 PM

This is not too terribly surprising, anyway, given her father’s position on the matter.

spmat on February 28, 2008 at 9:43 PM

No. It’s yay.

spmat on February 28, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Not what my OED says. (Or my KJV.)

Tzetzes on February 28, 2008 at 9:43 PM

She’s definitely starting to sound more like her dad. Good for her.

greggish on February 28, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Yea, it’s yay! Hooray

LegendHasIt on February 28, 2008 at 10:06 PM

I’m no huge fan of Debbie but what’s wrong with the so-called “c word”. There are all sorts of disparaging names relating to men (pr*ck, d*ck, d*ckhead, putz, schmuck, bollocks) but if a man dare utter the English word descended from the old Norse and proto Germanic “kunta”, he has violated the most severe of taboos.

The hysterical reaction of Enlightened (no arrogance there, no, not at all) to the word shows just how taboo it is. Tell me, Enlightened, is c-nt worse than k-ke?

rokemronnie on February 28, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Yea goes back hundreds of years.
Yay is the spelling of the semi-literate, like thru or nite.

The only thing worse is ya for yeah.

(As for the other one, hooray is fine, though hurrah comes more naturally to me. Huzzah is just for fun.)

Tzetzes on February 28, 2008 at 10:12 PM

…but if a man dare utter the English word descended from the old Norse and proto Germanic “kunta”…

rokemronnie on February 28, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Ah, good to see I’m not the only one reading the OED!
(I also like your subjunctive, pardner…)

The hysterical reaction of Enlightened…

rokemronnie on February 28, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Interesting choice of word[s]!

Tzetzes on February 28, 2008 at 10:17 PM

rokemronnie on February 28, 2008 at 10:08 PM

We already know the answer to that based on her attitude toward Jews. Notice how many times she denied hating Israel/Jews. Methinks she doth protest too much.

Andy in Agoura Hills on February 28, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Methinks she doth protest too much.

Andy in Agoura Hills on February 28, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Protest in Shakespeare (this oft-misapplied quotation is from Hamlet, not from something like Taming of the Shrew!) means “to promise”. It’s from when the player-queen promises (“protesteth”) that she’ll never take a second husband, should her first one die. Gertrude, seeing this, then utters the famous line.

I’m sure that’s how you meant it, but it seems worth pointing out.

Tzetzes on February 28, 2008 at 10:29 PM

“Yea” is a very old-fashioned formal way of saying “yes,” used mainly in voting. It’s the opposite of—and rhymes with—“nay.” When you want to write the common casual version of “yes,” the correct spelling is “yeah” (sounds like “yeh” ). When the third grade teacher announced a class trip to the zoo, we all yelled “yay!” (the opposite of “boo”!). That was back when I was only yay big.

This is how it works in the U.S. of A.

Buy Danish on February 28, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Buy Danish on February 28, 2008 at 10:47 PM

I wouldn’t take “Brian’s Errors” as Gospel, especially when he says yeah is pronounced “yeh”. (It is only in Brooklyn!)

I was born and raised in the U.S. of A. and would be quite embarrassed to use the vulgar spelling yay.

Tzetzes on February 28, 2008 at 10:53 PM

And the acclamation yea! is the same as yea meaning “yes”, not a different word.

I’m sure you’ve heard people celebrating with the interjection yes.

Tzetzes on February 28, 2008 at 10:55 PM

finally! someone in hollywood with cojones, and it’s a girl! no big surprise there…

homesickamerican on February 28, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Tzetzes on February 28, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Yay is Okay!

Yea and yay are not synonyms. Yea (as in yeas and nays) means yes; Yay means hooray.

Yay also means cocaine, but I digress.

Goodnight.

Buy Danish on February 28, 2008 at 11:26 PM

You’re right AP. It’s almost better if we on the Right simply ignored Angelina’s comments.

I mean, the success of the surge thus far may serve to her enlightenment, but for the rest of us… duh!

CliffHanger on February 28, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Buy Danish on February 28, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Yea and yay are not synonyms, because yay only exists in the writing of the semi-literate (usually on the internet).

Yay is not okay. It’s ugly.

Yay does not come from hooray. It comes from a misspelling of yea arising perhaps in some people on analogy with nay, but probably for most people from a lack of familiarity with books, where it’s spelled yea.

And you ignore what I say about using yes as an interjection.

Come on, BuyDanish, in most of your comments you’re much more sensible than this!

Tzetzes on February 28, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Google, I just checked, gives 6.84 million hits for yay and 66.9 million for yea.

That first number is disheartening, but the ratio with the second does make me feel a little better. At least more people are reading than aren’t.

Tzetzes on February 28, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Oh well, I’m going to bed now too.

Tzetzes on February 29, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Oh well, I’m going to bed now too.
Tzetzes on February 29, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Pedantry is apparently just as tiresome to the pedant as it is to those subjected to it.

LegendHasIt on February 29, 2008 at 2:22 AM

I’m very surprised at this thread.

shibumiglass on February 28, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Agreed, I’m surprised that it has been allowed. Debbie Schlussel is very unhinged, she attacked Beth, a Conservative blogger for no good or real reason 2 years ago.

She makes Arianna Huffington’s commenters seem rational.

AprilOrit on February 29, 2008 at 3:06 AM

Oh well, I’m going to bed now too.

Tzetzes on February 29, 2008 at 1:18 AM

YAY!

Buy Danish on February 29, 2008 at 7:45 AM

Boy, I’m glad she straightened that out, I have been in a real poser for the longest time. WOW!!!

pueblo1032 on February 29, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I can sleep better now that the US Ambassador to the world has weighed in on this.

pueblo1032 on February 29, 2008 at 11:14 AM

I have no doubt that Angelina is a hollywood liberal. But she is also a great humanitarian that his given millions to charity and has done a lot of great work.

I think she is willing to admit what few in Hollywood will and that is that we need to finish the job because if we don’t millions of Iraqis will suffer. I believe that if we were to pull out and millions of Iraqi’s were to be slaughtered the left would find some way to blame Bush for it and not take any responsibility for their calls to pull out.

Erockk on February 29, 2008 at 11:42 AM

AprilOrit on February 29, 2008 at 3:06 AM

I’ve never mentioned that woman, er . . . you on my site or elsewhere. Sad that you post repeatedly making things up about me and trying to link me to that person, since you are her. Please . . . get help and get back on the meds.

Debbie Schlussel on February 29, 2008 at 1:08 PM

LegendHasIt on February 29, 2008 at 2:22 AM

Izz korekt spelyng pedentree?

Tzetzes on February 29, 2008 at 2:33 PM

AprilOrit on February 29, 2008 at 3:06 AM

Debbie Schlussel on February 29, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Aah, ok…sure…

Beth is a lovely person and you were very unkind to her. The comments from others are there.

Enough said.