Followup: Razor Blades in Bible

posted at 5:40 pm on February 28, 2008 by see-dubya

From a Hot Air reader–and registered commenter–with a TSA.gov address, who wrote the item I discussed here:

I’m the “Lynn” on the TSA blog that posted the story about the razor blades in the Bible of the priests in the airport. I actually have an account to comment on your site (I’ve been a reader for years), but for the life of me, I can’t find my username or password. I’m registered through my Yahoo e-mail account.

Anyway, the reason I’m writing you is because in the Hot Air comments on this story, someone threw up the BS flag on the story and I wanted to say it really happened. The razors were found at an airport in the Washington, DC area. I viewed the initial reporting, which didn’t have pictures or much details. When I saw the report come in, I thought I would share the info so readers of our blog would see the kind of things that our officers find. We have to take everything seriously – you never know. The razor blades were ones you would put put in a razor to shave your face. Not a straight razor. The Bible was not hollowed out – they razors were just in the pages of a book.

The clarification is much appreciated. It’s understandable that this crowd may be a little skeptical of PR from TSA, but it’s also important to remember that there is a lot of bad stuff the screeners catch every day that never makes the news.

Comments

Skeptical of TSA PR is an understatement. These people don’t accomplish s**t. The whole “airport security” scam is a wast of taxpayer dollars and a totally unnecessary aggravation imposed on every American citizen who travels. Have we stopped terrorist attacks since 9-11? Damn straight we have! Have we done it at airport security points? Not to the best of my knowledge. Give the security contract to the guys who do it for El Al. Let ‘em profile. Get SERIOUS.

Longhorn Six on February 28, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Filthy crusader LOL.

funky chicken on February 28, 2008 at 5:54 PM

You know, I actually got thru ALL the security 3 weeks ago leaving and coming back with a very SHARP pair of scissors that I had forgotten I had put in a bag. I obviously had not cleaned it out all the way like I thought. I didn’t realize I had them in there until after I got home and emptied my bag that I had the scissors in there the whole time.

This doesn’t surprise me. And makes me wonder what gets thru security if I got the scissors thru by accident.

upinak on February 28, 2008 at 5:56 PM

a lot of bad stuff…

Three loaded guns in 58 minutes. But I thought all the danger was trumped-up Bushrovian fear mongering.

eeyore on February 28, 2008 at 6:03 PM

I made it to and from Vegas with a 4 inch long, sharp nail in my purse. I’d picked it up off a sports field one day when a little chicken was practicing and just tossed it in there. Totally forgot about it until I was looking for a receipt….

funky chicken on February 28, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Longhorn Six on February 28, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Exactly. While we’re looking for weapons at our airports, the Israelis are looking for terrorists at their airports.

It’s called profiling.

labrat on February 28, 2008 at 6:07 PM

8:13 a.m. – At another Texas airport, a security officer detected a .9mm Glock 26 firearm loaded with 11 rounds of ammunition and one round in the chamber in a carry-on bag.

Hey, wasn’t this Huckabee’s son? Oh, wait, that was in Arkansas

NTWR on February 28, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Hey.. take a second look at the demographics of the TSA report….

In the South they are catchin’ guns, in the NE and West they are catching Dope and Visa Violators….

Now assuming that these were just dolts that tried to buck the system….

I’m moving!, Texas here I come…

Doogiesd on February 28, 2008 at 6:43 PM

A safety razor!? Sheesh, are those still banned?

Mark Jaquith on February 28, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Uhm, slight error here I think. The standard magazine for a G26 holds 10 rounds. If you ‘top off’ then you can have 11 rounds in the gun – 10 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. I think whoever typed this up is not a gun person and heard ’11 rounds, one in the chamber’ and thought there were 12 total.

Yeah I know, not entirely relevant to anything, just one of those things.

KCSteve on February 29, 2008 at 9:38 AM

I find this story believable. I use a double edged safety razor to shave. It opens so the double edged blade can be removed and replaced with a new one. A couple of years ago I was in Ohio and needed to buy some replacement blades and couldn’t find a store or pharmacy that carried them. Had to buy a disposable razor to use. The next time I go back to Ohio I might have to smuggle a blade or two in a book. Actually I pack my shaving gear in my check on luggage but I just happened to run out of blades in Ohio.

TooTall on February 29, 2008 at 10:54 AM