FBI called in to investigate eco-terror home invasion in Santa Cruz

posted at 4:04 pm on February 28, 2008 by see-dubya

For people all about kindness to animals, the Santa Cruz eco-terrorist community is pretty unkind to their fellow homo sapiens:

…Santa Cruz police released more details about Sunday’s attack. Escalante said the UCSC’s researcher’s husband heard yelling in the front yard, looked out the front door window and saw protesters about 12:50 p.m.

At the time, the family was celebrating a birthday party for one of their children. Their two children and two others, all under the age of 10, were inside. They moved the kids to the back of the house and the wife stayed with them.

“By that time he hears pounding,” Escalante said. The man returned to the front door, locked the dead bolt, checked on the kids and went back to the door. “He can see the [door] frame moving.”

At some point, someone from the home dialed 911 but didn’t speak.

“It was an open line with some sort of disturbance,” Escalante said. “There was a woman screaming in the background and children crying.”

Police were dispatched to the address associated with the phone number. Meanwhile, the man opened the front door and confronted the protesters.

He was hit on the hand once or twice by an unknown object, and fought back throwing a punch or two, according to police.

“He defended himself after being attacked,” Escalante said. “He started in the doorway by trying to push the people back, then moved back out onto the lawn area.”

They’re being cagey about the organizations involved, but between that story and this story they seem to have a pretty good idea of where to look for the suspects, and there are indications it’s a statewide cell with links in SoCal as well. And in case you think this is a tiny unrepresentative sample of youth today, look at how the crowd behaved when the cops went to serve a search warrant:

Several UCSC students gathered around the house early Sunday afternoon while police were waiting for the search warrant. Some wore bandannas to cover their faces.

The Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office helped police secure the area as the crowd grew to more than 70, Escalante said.

While the search was taking place, protesters taunted officers, asking them to reveal their badge numbers and shining flashlights in their eyes. When officers emerged from the house carrying evidence, some of the students were following the police, taking pictures of the undercover squad car and its license plates with their cell phones.

It’s not surprising to me–the first story reports a series of a half-dozen incidents of vandalism against UCSC researchers, and there’s a long tradition of low-level terror around Santa Cruz. Lovely little town.

Comments

“He can see the [door] frame moving.”

Click, click, Boom.

Geronimo on February 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM

This is why we have a republic, not a complete democracy. What a way to spread the message of animal “rights.” In the process of “defending” the lower forms of life, these protesters lower themselves. These are not the actions of rational, civilized people. They are the actions of individuals in a state of war with rationality.

darii on February 28, 2008 at 4:14 PM

This is not a story about eco-terrorism. It’s about animal rights terrorism. It is important to keep in mind that animal rights is an uncorrelated set of values to environmentalism. Animal rights may be terrible for the environment or good for the environment depending the issue. Also, there has been precious little eco-terrorism as eco-sabotage gets called eco-terrorism. There is a huge difference between sabotage and terrorism. Terrorism using killing as a strategy to terrorize. It’s the definition.

thuja on February 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM

If this had happened to me with my kids in the house, there would have been dead bodies laying on the pavement, with empty holes where the bandannas used to be.

Gregor on February 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM

I’m with you Geronimo, lock and load.

Tim Zank on February 28, 2008 at 4:16 PM

with empty holes where the bandannas used to be.

Gregor on February 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM

You mean their heads? I thought they were empty holes already.

Darth Executor on February 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Click, click, Boom.

Geronimo on February 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Got that right. Here in FL, I could wait for the door to burst open and then open fire, and I’d be well within my rights. When I lived in the SF Bay Area I took my family to both Berkeley and Santa Cruz, ONCE. Total sh*tholes, dirty and full of white trash.

RW Wacko on February 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Darth Executor on February 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Good point, although I’m not sure if being filled with pot smoke qualifies as “empty.”

Gregor on February 28, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Click, click, Boom.

Geronimo on February 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM

That reminds me of that joke, the difference between a conservative and a southerner?
————————————-
Synopsis:

Conservative – “Click, BAM!”

Southerner – “Click, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM!”
Southerner child: “Nice grouping Dad.”
————————————-
Personally, a baseball would do the trick. A few broken fingers and cracked skulls usually suffice for the time. Immediately after, I’d get a good lawyer and sue the city for being unable to protect me from such loons, sue the organization that these loons were members of, and then file a restraining order against all parties. Use their tactics against them, and bankrupt the lefties (don’t worry, I have a conservative lawyer).

Geministorm on February 28, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Click, click, Boom.

Geronimo on February 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM

In the Kalifornia? They would have a special legislative session to bring back the guillotine and have him beheaded by lunch…

Big Daddy Cool on February 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM

It is pretty down there, nice little ranch houses on the water for $5 million and all, but infested with human vermin almost even worse that Berkeley.

bbz123 on February 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM

If I put up a sign on my property that says I’m a researcher, is that entrapment? I think you know what I’m getting at.

cjs1943 on February 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM

When that happens, hit the Hot Air tipline.

see-dubya on February 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Baseball *bat* I meant to say.

Geministorm on February 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM

cjs1943 on February 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM

No. It’s skillful hunting.

Gregor on February 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Question for the eco-nazis…………

If you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant, what do you do?

BacaDog on February 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM

This is why God created 12 gauge shotguns with magnum loads!

hburns on February 28, 2008 at 4:24 PM

I think the correct answer for all is they should commit Hari Kari, Bacadog. Sacrifice themselves for the betterment of the planet.

bbz123 on February 28, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Punks. They’d be advised not to try this in Texas.

thuja on February 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM

No connection? Really?

The Earth Liberation Front

By 2004, ALF’s environmental counterpart, the Earth Liberation Front (ELF), was setting new records for property damage. Modeled after ALF, ELF consists of “autonomous groups of people” who are “anonymous not only to the public but also to one another,” according to its Web site. The movement aims to “inflict economic damage on those profiting from the destruction and exploitation of the natural environment” and “to reveal and educate the public on the atrocities committed against the earth and all species that populate it.” Acts of property destruction are considered by ELF to be non-violent because no human being or animals are targeted.

Buy Danish on February 28, 2008 at 4:25 PM

bbz123 on February 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM

To bad you can’t have a giant Human… err… I mean mouse trap.

Thank God I own a few guns.

upinak on February 28, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Danish, did you see my thing on McCain in AK BTW?

upinak on February 28, 2008 at 4:26 PM

thuja–Hezbollah and Hamas, as far as I’m concerned. Both spring from a common root of hatred of mankind’s status of God-granted dominion over creation.

And as for sabotage versus terrorism, if someone blows up an abortion clinic and no one is there, it’s still terrorism. Same thing if someone burns down a ski resort. It’s political violence designed to intimidate.

see-dubya on February 28, 2008 at 4:27 PM

upinak on February 28, 2008 at 4:26 PM

No – where did you post it?

Buy Danish on February 28, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Yeah, I have no issue with protesters protesting, not washing and wearing colorful attire. When they come to my house and scare the shite out of my wife and kids, trying to break in, you deserve to bleed. Thsi kids think they’re so smart and “revolutionary” until they’re going into shock and wondering what to say as thier last words.

Geronimo on February 28, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Buy Danish on February 28, 2008 at 4:28 PM

In our Al Gore thread on Wishful Warming. But anywho.. I couldn’t find the exact date. It was during Murkowski (dad) time frame right before he bailed Seante and went for Gov up here. About 6 or 7 yrs ago. I found a segment, but it only mentioned McCain in half a sentence. I am still looking.

upinak on February 28, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Off Topic: I do have a good *conservative* lawyer. She defended me/us against my crook builder on my custom home. Ended up doing the work pro-bono too, said she just had to do what was “right” after everything we went through. Hopefully, I’ve given her and her firm enough word-of-mouth business over the years to help pay her back.

Geministorm on February 28, 2008 at 4:31 PM

They’d have a terrible decision to make at Casa-De-La-Pyle. I’ve got a 100 pound Doberman, black & tan, cropped & docked who’d not be too understanding of their desire to reach my front door. So what’s it gonna be, screw animal rights and kill the doggie or get a non surgical sphincter removal?

The next line of defense they’d encounter would include an introduction to the business end of a Remington 870 loaded 10 deep, alternating 000 buck – slug.

Alden Pyle on February 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Geministorm on February 28, 2008 at 4:31 PM

She sounds good, and you did the right thing. Debt solved.

upinak on February 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Lovely little town.

Actually the Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Carmel areas really are lovely towns, but unfortunately (as is the case with most of California) it is being thoroughly tarnished by the unbathed moonbat hippies that still refuse to get real jobs, a real life, and come to terms with the fact the 60′s are indeed over!

Liberty or Death on February 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Question for the eco-nazis…………

If you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant, what do you do?

BacaDog on February 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM

I’m not an eco-anything, but my bet is that they wait around for the animal to defecate and then transport that (the seeds + fecal matter) to a special, high-tech planter to help grow a new plant or even an orchard.

Weird, seems like that is the way God made things to work anyways. Animal eats plant, animal poops, waste plus indigestible seeds makes perfect fertilizer/environment for new plant…

Geministorm on February 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Sounds more like baiting, to me. Not quite sporting, but effective when it is time to cull the herd.

gridlock2 on February 28, 2008 at 4:42 PM

cjs1943 on February 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM

The pit covered in banana leaves is entrapment.

Alden Pyle on February 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Angry Terrorist Crowds at the door cry out for the AA-12.

TexasDan on February 28, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Alden Pyle on February 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM

See this guy right here?

Nicest dog I’ve ever owned, super sweet with the kids (5 & 10), but don’t come to my door without my permission, or you’ll have at least one dead human on your hands. Even when he “plays” with me (I like to play rough), he leaves bruises and breaks the skin, but with the kids he’s as gentle as a lamb (except he thinks he’s a lapdog). He so protective of the kids that he’ll tackle me if I wrestle with the kids to get them out of bed in the mornings. I think the other weapons can remain safely tucked away and just leave the loons with their “moral” dilemma of whether to protect themselves or hurt the animal. ;)

Geministorm on February 28, 2008 at 4:46 PM

The only good thing about Santa Cruz is having a beach house.

Just don’t rent it out. The losers won’t pay rent, damage your property, move out and let their even bigger loser friends move in, and when they’re told to get out they threaten to sue…all the while growing pot in the garage.

Domino on February 28, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Geministorm on February 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM

OK, now you’ve sucked me in. Intelligent Design!?!? How dare you say such a thing? How would the plant know how to produce seeds that are not digestible by something that might eat it? By the shear number of eons, evolution has solved that little problem. But, in the meantime, how did these plants continue to grow and thrive? Oh yeah, just chance.

cjs1943 on February 28, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Hmmm…

Home invasion and vandalism of private property for the purpose of intimidating other people? Covering their faces to hide their identities? Harassing the police and obstructing a police investigation in conection to their activities?

These scumbags sound an awful lot like a the Klan to me…

SuperCool on February 28, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Eco-terrorists think we humans are less than the environment and the various other life forms including animal life contained within.

Wildcatter1980 on February 28, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Geministorm on February 28, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Dogs rule Geministorm. And they have so much personality. Like Jules said in Pulp Fiction. “Dogs have personality and personality goes a long way.”

Geronimo on February 28, 2008 at 4:57 PM

“He can see the [door] frame moving.”
Click, click, Boom.

Geronimo on February 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM

If that was my front door, God help the first guy through it.

CurtZHP on February 28, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Click, click?
Nope…Cacchunk. Boom.

rascalfair on February 28, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Actually, See-Dub, Santa Cruz is Berkley with drum circles and more pot.

They’re at parody in regards to patriotism and hygiene.

liquidflorian on February 28, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Try that crap in Texas boys. See what happens then.

conservnut on February 28, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Why DIDN’T those homeowners have a gun? It’s just negligence to leave your home so unprotected when you know that those kind of people are targeting you. Hell, I’d walk up to the door with a super-soaker if I thought it would provide a deterrant.

Sydney Carton on February 28, 2008 at 5:16 PM

A super soaker filed with cat urine would do nicely, give them what they want.

bbz123 on February 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Geronimo on February 28, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Again, off topic:

And, unconditional love. God did us right by giving us dogs as our friends, companions, and guardians. I really feel a lot better since I got our dog when I can’t be at home for the wife and kids. I know from experience that he’ll attack anyone (if his bark doesn’t scare them away first) that doesn’t belong there, and I don’t need to worry (as much). A little food, water, scratches behind the ears, throw a few balls, some medical upkeep, and you have so much in return. Its a win-win. Its no wonder I like my dog better than most humans. Now, if I could just break him of drinking out of the toilet…Lord, that’s disgusting.

Geministorm on February 28, 2008 at 5:23 PM

A super soaker filed with cat urine would do nicely, give them what they want.

bbz123 on February 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM

You don’t want to give them an orgasm.

conservnut on February 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM

I live about 40 min south of Santa Cruz. They cleaned up the downtown area and the boardwalk but there are some scary people who live there for sure.

TroubledMonkey on February 28, 2008 at 5:31 PM

see-dubya on February 28, 2008 at 4:27 PM

You have a point. I need to think more, but there still strikes me that this is a difference between trying to intimidate a population through murder like the muslims and animal rights activists do and property damage.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not permissive about eco-sabotage. In the end, it does seem to me that political terrorism and sabotage ultimately stem from people taking rudeness to the ultimate extreme. And some people are always looking for ways to be more extreme. Thus, for example, when the City of Berkeley is permissive about Code Pink tactics the City ups the ante. It should surprise no one when ultimately some Code Pinko kills someone. For this reason, crimes done as political acts should be punished more harshly–not less harshly.

thuja on February 28, 2008 at 5:39 PM

TroubledMonkey on February 28, 2008 at 5:31 PM

A good friend of mine lived in Santa Cruz (you could see the boardwalk from his living room window) and we referred to those people as ‘trolls’ and for good reason!

Liberty or Death on February 28, 2008 at 5:44 PM

I would settle for 5-10 in a level 3 or 4 penitentiary,
Can you say celli for a soup for the next 5-10?
That’s if they make it past the first month in the general population.

Mojack420 on February 28, 2008 at 5:46 PM

‘trolls’
Liberty or Death on February 28, 2008 at 5:44 PM

That is a perfect description for them yes.

TroubledMonkey on February 28, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Baseball *bat* I meant to say.

Geministorm on February 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Ha, I have an ex-pitcher friend and the baseball can be as dangerous as a bullet, in the right hands.

Your pup looks like a pit or pit mix. I have two 80 pounders. They are the sweetest but unfortunately don’t get along well with unwelcome protesters.

Santa Cruz has an interesting dichotomy of extreme leftists and hard-core right-wingers. At least that was the case 10 years ago. All are pretty much militant. It’s sad considering how nice it could be there.

NTWR on February 28, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Liberty or Death on February 28, 2008 at 5:44 PM

A good friend of mine started “Troll Busters” in Santa Cruz and the under-overpass dwellers still freak out if you yell “Troll Busters!” up there.

NTWR on February 28, 2008 at 6:03 PM

thuja on February 28, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Trying to break down someone’s door is more than “property damage”, that’s a terrorist home invasion.

It’s not rudeness, it’s anarchy.

Buy Danish on February 28, 2008 at 6:15 PM

I live in Monterey just on the other side of the bay and I never go up there. Too many freaks. Sad part about it is they are moving southward. We have a relatively new campus near Monterey (CSUMB) and it is just as left as Santa Cruz and Berkeley. I am getting ready to leave this state soon.

geminicontender on February 28, 2008 at 6:25 PM

I’m going back to Cali, Cali, Cali
I’m going back to Cali.. I don’t think so

Zaire67 on February 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Spent the early half of the 90s at UCSC. Since I left, I’ve never seen a more, erm, unconventional culture. They even had this group called “Elflandic Jihad” on campus trying to save Elfland, which was this forested place on campus where hippies would gather and do hippy stuff. The University ended up building on it, lol.

NorthernCross on February 28, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Oh yeah, and GO BANANA SLUGS!!!

NorthernCross on February 28, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Gosh, there must be some way to protect your family against these eco-terrorists. Isn’t there?

Jaibones on February 28, 2008 at 7:38 PM

This is not a story about eco-terrorism. It’s about animal rights terrorism.

thuja on February 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM

You say tomaytos, I say tomatos….terrorism is terrorism, and self-destructive, delusional Liberalism is self-destructive, delusional Liberalism….no matter what the immediate subject is.

It is self-destructive, uncivilized, and outright insane to give either “ecology” or “animals” preference over human life and human welfare. PERIOD.

landlines on February 28, 2008 at 8:04 PM

cjs1943 on February 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Depends. In Michigan it’s ok. Here in WV, it’s called baiting and you could get a fine. It would be worth it though.

jeffNWV on February 28, 2008 at 8:18 PM

If you are wondering how similar situations are handles in Texas, read this:

Musician killed outside neighbor’s home

A well-known Dallas musician who beat up his girlfriend and then tried to kick in his neighbor’s door in a drunken rage was killed Sept. 3 after being shot in the head by the neighbor, who thought he was a burglar.

Carter Albrecht, 34, was a guitarist and keyboardist best known for his work with Dallas rock band Sorta, as well as Edie Brickell & New Bohemians.

After hitting his girlfriend several times in the face, Mr. Albrecht followed her as she fled her apartment, but she was able to duck inside again and lock the door, she told police. Mr. Albrecht went to the back of a neighbor’s home, kicking and banging on the door.

The neighbor yelled at him to stop, but he didn’t, so the neighbor shot once at the top of the door. The bullet struck Mr. Albrecht in the head, and he died at the scene. Police declined to file charges against the neighbor.

Just like the one of the Texas Tourism slogans used to say; “Texas; it’s like a whole other country”

c3ichief on February 28, 2008 at 10:23 PM

One thing about living in Santa ClaraCruz I never could stomach was all the damn vampires.

— The Lost Boys

Tark on February 28, 2008 at 11:06 PM

I take issue with the statement that there is no patriotism in Santa Cruz. As one of thousands of vets who live in Santa Cruz I can attest to the fervent feelings of patriotism which are present in the Monterey Bay communities. The problem is we are out numbered by a monstrous population of brain dead politically correct students at UCSC and UCMB, in collusion with the leftist local press and a City/County government of fellow travelers.

The City of SC might hang it’s collective head in shame, but I for one will accept no opprobrium for these vivious actions.

magicky on February 29, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Had this happened here in East Cobb County, Georgia, those trespassers would have been sucked up by a wet-vac and a sponge shortly after the shooting stopped, as their bullet-riddled remains would have been spattered all over the front yard.

Dave R. on February 29, 2008 at 2:20 AM

Not if you dispose of the sign before the cops arrive with the wet-vac and the sponge. :-)

Dave R. on February 29, 2008 at 2:27 AM

A super soaker filed with cat urine would do nicely, give them what they want.

bbz123 on February 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Load what ya got, I guess.

You keep a lot of cat pee handy, do you?

TexasDan on February 29, 2008 at 8:29 AM

UTexas wacademia last week:

Journalist knocks ‘terror’ labels

An independent journalist told a campus crowd Wednesday night that the FBI ranks animal and environmental activist extremists as the No. 1 domestic terrorist threat in the nation, though most of these groups have never harmed anyone.

More than 50 people gathered to hear the UT alumnus and award-winning journalist Will Potter compare this Green Scare to the wave of fear in the 1940s stirred up by the Red Scare, when hundreds of people were falsely accused of supporting Communism… The reporter finished by asking students to hear his message and “just get pissed.”

“It’s scary to learn about this and see the FBI harassment,” Potter said. “At the same time, that fear can be turned into a positive anger. We need to reach out to everyday people who are just as fed up as everyone else with this war on terrorism.”

Daily Texan invites comments here.

Terp Mole on March 3, 2008 at 3:52 PM