Video: Clinton supporter defends photo of Obama in his “native clothing”; Update: Another Obama photo?

posted at 1:02 pm on February 26, 2008 by Allahpundit

It’s Stephanie Tubbs Jones, lately a bystander at an Obama-related humiliation and now the center of one herself. What’s newsworthy about this? Nothing. It’s clear what she means, however clumsy her substitution of “native” for “ancestral” may be, but that can’t save her from the arched eyebrow of TPM, a site which demonstrated its keen powers of cracking racial “code” two years ago when it declared the use of drums in campaign ads targeting black candidates as racist per se. If there’s news value here, it’s this: If they’re willing to demagogue someone who’s liberal, a woman, and a minority on something this slight, wait until Maverick so much as looks askance at Obama during the campaign. Like Noonan says, “Go to the bank on it.” Click the image to watch.

tubbs-jones.jpg

Update: Coming soon to a Clinton campaign e-mail near you.

Comments

This is so interesting, I don’t even need to watch.

Jared_MA on February 26, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Of course Hillary wouldn’t dare let a white supporter say that about Obama.

SoulGlo on February 26, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Oh, God, it’s my Congresswoman. Pity me.

If you have a couple of minutes, here’s audio of Ms. Tubbs Jones getting her 4ss served to her by our local conservative radio show guy. The topic is Iraq, and our need to “bring our babies home!” (I don’t know the day of the week, but I guess it was “our troops are babies” day, not “our troops are baby killers” day.)

saint kansas on February 26, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Forget the Muslim thing, is it permitted to say he just looks like an unmitigated dork in that photo?

BL@KBIRD on February 26, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Heh – “unmitigated Dork”. Truly.

As for TPM, their headline nails it. I never knew Barry Muhammed Saddam Hussein Osama Obama’s native country was Somalia. Did you guys?

Jaibones on February 26, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Barry Muhammed Saddam Hussein Osama Obama’s

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA HAHA LMAO ROTFLMAO!!!!!

The Race Card on February 26, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Not.

The Race Card on February 26, 2008 at 1:22 PM

I love Stephanie Tubbs Jones. She’s slick. “Native clothing”? She’s sticking it to him while pretending to be fine with it.

paul006 on February 26, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Native, tribal, ancestral, motherland, African, Afro-centric, original … what is the politically correct term?

OhEssYouCowboys on February 26, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Quite an aggressive revenue strategy Sweetness and Light has there, no?

Hiney Von Pewps on February 26, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Keep it going hill we need you there till the end

al on February 26, 2008 at 1:34 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA HAHA LMAO ROTFLMAO!!!!!

The Race Card on February 26, 2008 at 1:22 PM

You can’t use sarchasm. They don’t get it.

Hiney Von Pewps on February 26, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Anyone start noticing the YAF Che-Obama advertisements on Drudge? Those are hilarious.

ninjapirate on February 26, 2008 at 1:38 PM

I have no shame

She can say that again.

- The Cat

P.S. It’s not Clintonite but rather Clintonista

MirCat on February 26, 2008 at 1:38 PM

“His country” is America, is it not? I mean, that is the country he’s trying to be president of.

amkun on February 26, 2008 at 1:41 PM

My favorite part of this thing is that, in an effort to disprove that Obama was wearing “native tribal Kenyan dress” in the original photo, various sites are putting up this photo of native Kenyan tribal dress. It is indeed a photo of tribal dress–from a singular tribe, the Masai. However, there are 40+ other tribes in the country–including Somalis.

If ignorance is bliss, there must be many happy people out there.

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Saint KS, move back to KS, pronto! Or at least move to Macon or Warner Robins, GA where you could have an honorable democrat (Jim Marshall) for your representative.

I was gobsmacked a while back by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee on the Lars Larson radio show though. She was an eloquent and polite Hillary spokeswoman who did a good job dealing with conservative questions and staying on point. I had heard that she was a nutter, but listening to her … well, let’s just say Rep. Jackson Lee is no Maxine Waters.

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Masai tribal dress is beautiful. What a shame that Obama’s clansmen are bringing chaos to what was one of the jewels of Africa.

Gotta love the Kenyan marathoners too.

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Snort. I was expecting the Masai Warrior. Baldilocks, that was a pic of women LOL. I know you understand the difference, but, er ???

Barry’s not even tough enough to be a Masai woman?

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 1:51 PM

When is Ted Kennedy going to sing us a native, tribal, ancestral, motherland, African, Afro-centric, original … ditty?

OhEssYouCowboys on February 26, 2008 at 1:57 PM

ninjapirate on February 26, 2008 at 1:38 PM

I’m a straight up nerd. I ordered one of the Che victims montage posters. Though, I had to pass on the Ann Coulter Republican pin-up poster though. The homies would never let me live it down.

The Race Card on February 26, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Not.

The Race Card on February 26, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Aw, c’mon, TRC. I was just having a little sport.

Jaibones on February 26, 2008 at 2:02 PM

A teenager

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Well, well, well.

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Gotta love the Kenyan marathoners too.

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 1:49 PM

I hate to break it to you but the runners are mostly Kalenjin and many of them (the Kalenjin, I mean) are perpetrating a lot of the violence alongside the Luo against the Kikuyu (with revenge attacks being just as prominent). A couple of Olympians have been killed; whether they were innocent victims or perps is being argued over.

BTW, I’m part Luo also.

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Well at least someone has the intestinal fortitude to say that Hussein Obama is not a real American. I concur, no matter what kind of primitive outfit he wears.

Hening on February 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM

The Masai are really good-looking people!

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Hening on February 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Excuse me?

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Obama allegedly backs Taliban supporter in Kenya, scary not beause he did it intentionally, but because he was stupid. This is what inexperienced foreign policy looks like.

JustTruth101 on February 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Gotta love the Kenyan marathoners too.

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 1:49 PM

I’d like to give a shout out to my namesake, Kip Keino.

***

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 1:48 PM

You mean, all black people aren’t the same? Weird, huh?

The Race Card on February 26, 2008 at 2:12 PM

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM

SO?

Brat on February 26, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Well, well, well.

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Are you trying to case aspersion on the Maasai people? What is wrong with you? These people are nomadic, honorable, respect their elders, have a peaceful existence and the only battles I am aware of they engaged in was AGAINST slavery. They refused to allow human trafficking whether their tribesman or not, and are an honorable people. What exactly is your problem with the Maasai?

JustTruth101 on February 26, 2008 at 2:18 PM

TRC sigh. No. But all I had heard about Ms. Jackson Lee was that she was a limousine liberal nutter. I listened to an interview and decided that she was quite impressive, even though I disagree with her politics. I don’t live in Houston and hadn’t experienced anything of Ms. Jackson Lee live.

Your name is perhaps not quite so ironic as you thought.

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Let’s be fair. No way I could rock this look either LOL

No real agenda here, just goofing around and posting pretty pictures. Ya’ll need to chill out a bit.

(Brat and TRC)

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:21 PM

“If they’re willing to demagogue someone who’s liberal, a woman, and a minority on something this slight, wait until Maverick so much as looks askance at Obama during the campaign.”

Are you suggesting that the Dems might ratchet up their mau-mauing of Republicans?

Dusty on February 26, 2008 at 2:25 PM

JustTruth101 on February 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Odinga (the “Taliban Supporter” in the ariticle) is Obama’s cousin. Kenyans also allege that the MOU regarding Sharia specified is fake. There’s a long running dispute there.

Odinga is certainly no small ‘l’ liberal and is more of arun-of-the-mill African socialist/tribalist/kleptocrat than anything else. However, he’s not the Islamist boogie-man that many ersatz Kenya experts are making him out to be. He’s not even a Muslim (though many of Obama’s Kenyan relatives are).

The Disinformation on Kenya is getting out of hand.

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Excuse me?

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I didn’t quite get his logic either. At first he seems to be saying that if Obama were to wear a primative outfit, he would be convinced that he was a real American, and yet he is able to see through this feignt.

I’m not sure what he means by “primative” in the American context. Buckled shoes? A torn Hulkamania teeshirt?

But his actual sentence was “I concur, no matter what what kind of primitive outfit he wears.” Which I have to assume means that he’s generally amenable to all suggestions so long as Obama is wearing some sort of local costume.

So, if you want to see henning do triple penetration be sure to ask him while Obama is abroad and at the mercies of some cultural affairs minister.

Hiney Von Pewps on February 26, 2008 at 2:28 PM

JustTruth? What? I like the outfits and Bush looks happy in the picture. The pics of Obama in Africa look kinda awkward. If you look at lots of those Bush pics in Kenya you can tell he’s having a ball.

I do like this pic better than the Somali bland/drab one though. Obama looks less awkward and the outfit is made of much nicer fabric.

I’m a female. I like pretty fabrics. sheesh

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Haha, reminded me of when Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tex) decried how we were “tearing up the constitution” during the NSA surveillances congressional debate. Obviously, not a whole lot going on upstairs.

NeoNeocon on February 26, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Meanwhile Tucker Carlson appears to have grown a pair. He sticks his neck out he better hope Hillary doesn’t pull a rabbit out of her hat. I wish you all would add Chickaboomer to the blog roll, you know she blog’s tv/cable/print industry and Insidecable did sign off. I mean you have a opening.

Marty Davis -Chickaboomer

Dr Evil on February 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM

I see absolutely nothing wrong with Chef Boyardee.

Travis1 on February 26, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Dusty LOL er, shame on you.

baldilocks, I thought Odinga was a big C Communist, or hard S Socialist. Is the thing about him naming his son Fidel out of admiration for Castro true?

I’d guess he’s probably pretty big A Anti-American too.

But yeah, he’s Anglican or something, and the toleration for Sharia he promised read more like standard attempts to form a political coalition than whole hearted love for radical Islam.

My concern is that Obama has not been asked in any serious format about his ties to Odinga and the violence, but has only released standard pablum about how “all sides” should be calm and peaceful, blah blah. He does have more knowledge about the situation in the country and the players involved but hasn’t had to discuss any of it.

And his stated enthusiasm for sending our troops to Darfur makes me worry that he would consider sending them to Kenya, or to the “Democratic Republic” of the Congo, or to other places in Africa where it is very difficult to tell combatants from non-combatants, among other concerns.

Back to posting pretty pics….

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Your name is perhaps not quite so ironic as you thought.

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:19 PM

TRC called you wrong, but I can well see why he and others are getting to a point at which it’s hard to hear conservatives complain that their words are always being “twisted” by “PC Police”.

Hiney Von Pewps on February 26, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Hey, let’s take just one small moment of our time to get the facts straight.

Obama was born to a woman named Stanley. She loved to beat to the march of her own drummer. She got a kick out of telling people she didn’t believe in God, and had a thing for dark skinned “unreliable” men. So much so, that it “weirded out” young Barry.

Barry primarily grew up in Hawaii. He did spend a few years in Indonesia with his mom and new step-father, but he was shipped back to the states and raised by his white grandparents.

Barry is not African, and he is more likely to be an atheist due to family ties than a Muslim.

I’m just sayin’.

Dorvillian on February 26, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Obama, in the New York Post, and all kinds of papers, looks like a young Muslim aprentice, in cooking school.

Entelechy on February 26, 2008 at 2:48 PM

I’m a female. I like pretty fabrics. sheesh

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Back to posting pretty pics….

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:37 PM

funky, you could always post that pic of Raquel Welch, re: One Million Years, B.C. – it’s pretty AND she’s in an animal skin bikini.

:O)

OhEssYouCowboys on February 26, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Hey, let’s take just one small moment of our time to get the facts straight.

I’m just sayin’.

Dorvillian on February 26, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Is there an echo in here or is it just me?

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Dorvillian on February 26, 2008 at 2:42 PM

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 2:52 PM

I actually don’t think anyone here actually believes the Obama-muslem nonsence. I think they’re all trolls.

Hiney Von Pewps on February 26, 2008 at 2:55 PM

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Your “well, well, well” comment sounded like you were trying to equate the pic of W with honorable tribesman with the pic of Obama w/muslim headdress…not that I care that Obama wears Muslim headdress, I was just pointing out that it’s not the same thing by a long shot. But since that wasn’t your point, thanks for the clarification.

JustTruth101 on February 26, 2008 at 2:56 PM

You know, it just occurred to me that I’ve rarely seen any pics of Obama looking really joyful. Is it because he or his advisors think it will make him look younger than he is? Or is the merchant of change and hope kind of a miserable fellow?

I think Buy Danish posted a link to an article about Obama’s mother that made me feel really, really bad for her. Her father sounded like a real jerk….and she sent her son to be raised by those people from the age of 10?

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM

JustTruth101 on February 26, 2008 at 2:56 PM

You think the picture of Obama means anything?

Hiney Von Pewps on February 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Hiney Von Pewps on February 26, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Actually all of Dorvillian’s stuff in that comment is proven fact; it’s just repetitive to us political junkies. Sorry for being rude, Dorvillian. Thanks for the info.

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 2:58 PM

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM

I don’t think he’s a happy person. Radicals never are.

Hiney Von Pewps on February 26, 2008 at 2:59 PM

heh, he looks more like Sam Jaffee in Gunga Din than any native warrior.

Alden Pyle on February 26, 2008 at 3:00 PM

sigh the well, well, well was for the contrast between Bush and Obama

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 3:02 PM

I don’t think he’s a happy person. Radicals never are.

Hiney Von Pewps on February 26, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Happy, or not, he always looks smug to me.

Entelechy on February 26, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Is she that stupid or does she just play a moron on TV? He is a native of the U.s. isn’t he or he would not be able to run for president. I’m no supporter of the messiah, but how could scratch let her skate on that comment? That doesn’t even live in reality and she is deciding how to spend our tax money?

flytier on February 26, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Communists are only happy when they’re at their dachas, while the “workers,” whom they protect and nurture, queue for luxuries like milk, bread and cheese.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 26, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Chase the links- espcially this one

and this one…

and this one…

drjohn on February 26, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Here’s a guy who won’t wear an American flag lappel pin because of its jingoistic overtones but has no problem jumping into “native” African garb?! Puh-leez…

Wyznowski on February 26, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Why are you ready to react the exact way Hillary Clinton intended you to react?

Hiney Von Pewps on February 26, 2008 at 3:37 PM

drjohn on February 26, 2008 at 3:22 PM

I’ve got a whole slew of them right here. I’ve been keeping up on this since the beginning of January. More to come today. BTW, one isn’t up on current events. Odinga isn’t just Obama’s friend.

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 3:38 PM

baldilocks, do you read Cooks Illustrated magazine? They have recipes using those steel cut oats. I’ve got a baked oatmeal recipe that uses them too.

how’s that for off topic? LOL well, off for the day…time to be mommy again.

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Heh! Nope but I’ll try it. Jummies.

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Good grief, I can’t even imagine the shrieking heard round the world if a white person had said that

Keli on February 26, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Obama + Ganja = Rocks!

TheSitRep on February 26, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Sometimes when you see a photo, you just can’t help your self and you have to break down and photoshop it.

TheSitRep on February 26, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Bob!

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 4:52 PM

baldilocks on February 26, 2008 at 2:58 PM

No offense taken. While there is no doubt that you are knowledgeable on this subject, I’m pretty sure you’re giving too much credit to the “junkies”.

I spend way too much time here and other places where other junkies are likely to be found, and I usually find myself in the unenviable position of defending Obama against baseless smears.

Don’t agree with Barry’s politics? Hey, I’m right there with you. But I see people calling him a lying Muslim, typing his middle name in all caps, suggesting that his grassroot supporters are paying him with welfare money, etc…

It gets a little old, and it makes us look like the bigots that hippies everywhere know that we are.

Dorvillian on February 26, 2008 at 5:10 PM

well, let’s just say Rep. Jackson Lee is no Maxine Waters.

Your name is perhaps not quite so ironic as you thought.

funky chicken on February 26, 2008 at 2:19 PM

My name is not meant to be ironic, but provocative. You don’t like it, it’s a free country…sue me.

Aside from that, and despite what you say to cover your ass, it’s pretty obvious to me what you were doing with your Lee/ Waters comparison. You compared two black female congresspersons who are known to be wingnuts. That’s really not the biggest sin. It was actually kind of funny.

But I’m still going to be honest in my assessment. You pushed a funny black button. You’re no different than a lot of my Republican friends…or a lot of Democrats for that matter. Why lie about it?

And as far as you being “impressed” with Rep. Lee, I cannot save you from your own words. I would compare her more to Sen. Biden or perhaps Charlie Rangel than Rep. Waters. She’s polite and somewhat well-healed. But she is certifiably nuts.

You must have caught her on a good day.

And really, you need to be able to tell people that just because something is racial, it is not by default racist. Your remark was racial; enjoy it. God gave us different appearances for a reason. If you can’t laugh at yourself or others, you’re missing the joke.

Your racial joke was funny. You don’t have to feel guilty anymore.

***

Hiney Von Pewps on February 26, 2008 at 2:38 PM

I hate it when my team whines. We whine about racial double standards and media bias like Democrats whine about everything else. I don’t think Funky Chicken was whining. I think he was tweaking racial tensions. That is not always a bbad thing; we all need our cages rattled once in a while. The problem I have is that he acts oblivious.

If you’re going to fart under the covers, you may as well enjoy it.

Also, I don’t need PC police to remind me that Republicans are just as full of shit on the race issue as Democrats. We have just as many saints and sinners on both sides.
The Republican platform is far superior. But the party itself is flailing.
If we had more credibility we would have been able to push for border security and we would have better representation among minorities.

People make the assumption that I prefer a PC nation. Wrong. I just don’t stand for any bullshit from the left or right. And to be honest, I’m quicker to call my team on it, because I typically don’t give a **** what Dems do.

Thats going to have to change though since we squandered a congressional majority and are likely nominating a half-ass Republican with McCain.

When Obama is President and we are down 60-40% in Congress, I will surely be complaining about the other side to their ddismay.

The Race Card on February 26, 2008 at 5:25 PM

TheSitRep on February 26, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Obama Trenchtown Rocks!

Funny, O-dog with the fat spliff. Clean that up a little and you might have a keeper. That should get big circulation.

Urge to pshop chop images trumps all decency and standards. If you photoshop, they will come.

***
For those who love Bob, please go see Julian, Damian and/or Stephen live. You will lose yourself.

The Race Card on February 26, 2008 at 5:34 PM